Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Future challenges

sebby

Re: Future challenges

Post by sebby » August 26th, 2020, 11:41 pm

I would like to see tv allowed just bc i need a reason to finally finish steven universe.

120 mins = 1 point seems fair. i believe it's what was done for horror last year (or year previous) when the topic became somewhat contentious. TV is generally easier to digest/binge than film, so the extra work to get a single point seems fair to me.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 27th, 2020, 12:28 am

peeptoad wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Re bolded: because we're a film board not a TV board, but i think this has been discussed before.

Low hanging fruit means the easiest to find and procure with minimal effort. If sol is host he'd put barbed wire and land mines around the tree.
Again, if like 10 people come in here and disagree then I'll cave on that rule. And then sol will get his roll of barbed wire from the storage shed.
A film is a sequence of images (and possibly sound). A TV episode is a film. Films are pretty easy to find and procure if you watch them on Netflix, for example. Should films watched on Netflix be worth fewer points?
sebby wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 11:41 pm
120 mins = 1 point seems fair. i believe it's what was done for horror last year (or year previous) when the topic became somewhat contentious. TV is generally easier to digest/binge than film, so the extra work to get a single point seems fair to me.
It takes 90 minutes to watch an average animated movie. It takes 90 minutes to watch 90 minutes of TV. It takes the same amount of time to binge.

If by easier to digest you mean easier to understand, it depends what you watch. There are plenty of easy-to-understand movies, and plenty of complex and intelligent TV series.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 27th, 2020, 1:39 am

zzzorf wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 10:32 pm
frbrown wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 10:26 pm
3eyes wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Animation from odd countries other than the usual suspects? (I found a neat Uruguayan one.)
For the bonus challenge? Yeah, that could work. However, those who wanted to participate in the bonus challenge would need to report the countries themselves, I wouldn't be able to look up that info for every film.

How should the scoring work? Number of watches, or number of countries or...? Would features and shorts (and episodes!) count the same?

Besides USA and Japan, are there any other countries that should be excluded as "usual suspects"?

I would score it as an Around the World challenge. Scoring points for each country a movie is seen from. In this case you would still score a point for US and Japan but it would only be one the same as other countries
zzzorf, that makes sense.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 27th, 2020, 2:40 am

sol wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 11:37 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 5:38 pm
peeptoad wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 3:46 pm
I'm inclined to use 120 minutes for the total on TV eps,
Agree
Yes, peeptoad - please solidify your claim as host now. Looks like both jal and myself are okay with 120 minutes.

Using the 40/60 rule frankly seems silly to me. TV episodes are not short films, and even mjf is pushing for around 90 (not 60) for a level playing field.
No thanks, sol. What little enthusiasm I had is quickly dissipating with the current conversation. More importantly, there are clearly bigger animation fans on the board (it's not even one of my top genres), so one of them would make a better host anyway.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 27th, 2020, 2:52 am

mjf314 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 12:28 am
peeptoad wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Re bolded: because we're a film board not a TV board, but i think this has been discussed before.

Low hanging fruit means the easiest to find and procure with minimal effort. If sol is host he'd put barbed wire and land mines around the tree.
Again, if like 10 people come in here and disagree then I'll cave on that rule. And then sol will get his roll of barbed wire from the storage shed.
A film is a sequence of images (and possibly sound). A TV episode is a film. Films are pretty easy to find and procure if you watch them on Netflix, for example. Should films watched on Netflix be worth fewer points?
sebby wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 11:41 pm
It takes 90 minutes to watch an average animated movie. It takes 90 minutes to watch 90 minutes of TV. It takes the same amount of time to binge.

If by easier to digest you mean easier to understand, it depends what you watch. There are plenty of easy-to-understand movies, and plenty of complex and intelligent TV series.
Eh, I disagree. The TV mechanism of episodic storytelling is easier on the brain, which is not designed for long-term focus and attention. 2-3 hours broken up neatly into 6 to 9 separate segments is a smaller apple to consume than 2-3 hours as a single film experience. The end of each episode acts as a sort of soft reset. Sustained focus only lasts for about 20 minutes, which is why binging something like a season of South Park is an easier task than binging the same amount of minutes worth of 90 minute movies.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 27th, 2020, 3:26 am

sol wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 11:37 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 5:38 pm
peeptoad wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 3:46 pm
I'm inclined to use 120 minutes for the total on TV eps,
Agree
Yes, peeptoad - please solidify your claim as host now. Looks like both jal and myself are okay with 120 minutes.

Using the 40/60 rule frankly seems silly to me. TV episodes are not short films, and even mjf is pushing for around 90 (not 60) for a level playing field.
I'm fine with 90 minutes on TV. It seems absurd to go any higher though since there are TONS of animated movies less than 70 minutes, much more I would bet than just about any other style of film. What about for things like shorts? is that still 60? Or does it also go up to 90? And what's the minimum length that would constitute a film since the 40 min. cut off has historically been used in most challenges because that also happens to be the length of the average episode of an hour TV show minus the commercials? Do films and shorts also need to add up to 90 min. to count as point as well?

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 27th, 2020, 3:30 am

Also for the bonus challenge, I like the "Around the World" one. I think it'd be neat to do a scavenger hunt type challenge similar to what I put together for the comedy challenge too. I think it'd give people a motivation to watch more than a handful of tv series and branch out into various kinds of animation they might not otherwise. For instance, 1. watch a film featuring primarily stop motion. 2. Watch a film using a combination of CGI and traditional cel-based animation. 3. watch a film featuring at least three types of animation stytes, 4. watch a film nominated for an academy award for animation, etc.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 27th, 2020, 9:35 am

Let's sum up where we are currently at for preferences:

Do not include any TVjal90
120 minutes of TV = 1 pointpeeptoad, hurluberlu, sebby, sol
90 minutes of TV = 1 pointmjf314, flavo
60 minutes of TV = 1 pointfrbrown

While there are a lot more of us in favour of 120 minutes, perhaps 90 minutes is the best compromise option? :shrug:

@frbrown - are you prepared to host animation with 90mins of TV episodes = 1 point, or should we be looking for another host?
Last edited by sol on August 27th, 2020, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 27th, 2020, 11:39 am

But... but I didn't state my preferences on any of these options!!1!

I'm fine with either though.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 27th, 2020, 11:43 am

jal90 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:39 am
But... but I didn't state my preferences on any of these options!
Ah, it seems you were just on the pure "exclude TV" path like me.
jal90 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 7:37 pm
I would even exclude TV series at all if it was me
Honestly, I'd vote to exclude too, but if we had to include, I'd prefer 120 minutes. I can understand the argument for 90 mins though.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 27th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Can't you just do two separate challenges. Sol hosts the feature films animation challenge and someone else hosts a TV episode one? Puts an end to the debate and separates things out...?

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 27th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I feel we should simply let the host apply the rules s/he feels comfortable with.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 27th, 2020, 12:36 pm

sebby wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 2:52 am
Eh, I disagree. The TV mechanism of episodic storytelling is easier on the brain, which is not designed for long-term focus and attention. 2-3 hours broken up neatly into 6 to 9 separate segments is a smaller apple to consume than 2-3 hours as a single film experience. The end of each episode acts as a sort of soft reset. Sustained focus only lasts for about 20 minutes, which is why binging something like a season of South Park is an easier task than binging the same amount of minutes worth of 90 minute movies.
It depends what you watch. Not every TV series is like South Park.

Many series have one continuous story that last many episodes, for example Monster, Gankutsuou, Planetes, Madoka Magica, From the New World, Kaiba, and Serial Experiments Lain. Neon Genesis Evangelion has a complex enough story that people have written thesis papers analyzing it.

There are also animated movies that are broken up into shorter stories. For example: Fantasia, Heavy Metal, Genius Party, Memories, Robot Carnival, Fear(s) of the Dark, Laughter and Grief by the White Sea.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 27th, 2020, 1:12 pm

never mind

frbrown

Post by frbrown » August 27th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Boy , we have quite a discussion!

One thing I should have mentioned, but forgot, is that I like having the same scoring rules for shorts and TV. That way a single "watch" can include both shorts and episodes, instead of requiring that TV be combined only with other TV. I find that simpler, both as a participant, and as a potential host.

So, I'd be willing to raise the cutoff to 90 minutes, for BOTH shorts and TV.

What does everyone think of that?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 27th, 2020, 2:08 pm

frbrown wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 2:01 pm
I'd be willing to raise the cutoff to 90 minutes, for BOTH shorts and TV.

Sounds fine to me. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 27th, 2020, 2:10 pm

frbrown wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 2:01 pm
So, I'd be willing to raise the cutoff to 90 minutes, for BOTH shorts and TV.

I'm ok with that.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 27th, 2020, 4:33 pm

I'm not a fan of changing the rules two-thirds of the way through the year. Honestly, I'd prefer to leave things as they are.

For what it's worth, I'll note my support for flavo and mjf on the discussion regarding 90 minutes of TV (when taken against the other possible changes).

Leave shorts at 60 minutes, please.
That's all, folks!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm

I was just looking at the previous time this was hosted and it used just the regular 40/60 rule, and I didn't see anything I'd consider a horrible abuse of the system with somebody watching like 5 seasons of a show or anything. It seemed like most people still watched predominantly movies with some TV mixed in occasionally. Honestly it just seems like more of a pain to up the minutes on TV for both people logging watches and whoever is hosting it to tally things.

I saw in the previous challenge quite a few people would use a mix of TV and short films for a point, so like an episode of Simpsons Treehouse of Horror + 3 shorts to total a point for instance. If TV point limits are changed but shorts aren't, then this kind of thing probably just wouldn't be allowed.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 27th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Whatever people decide for animation, can we have a fuller discussion about features/shorts/tv when we set up the challenge schedule for next year and try to hash out a set of uniform rules? We'll give everyone a chance to state their viewpoint and then have a poll. Would that work?

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 27th, 2020, 9:23 pm

blocho wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Whatever people decide for animation, can we have a fuller discussion about features/shorts/tv when we set up the challenge schedule for next year and try to hash out a set of uniform rules? We'll give everyone a chance to state their viewpoint and then have a poll. Would that work?
I agree. I don't think it makes sense to only apply to certain challenges but not others. I mean, this month somebody could've just watched all of Happy Days and Newhart Show to rack up a lot of points for the '70s challenge. But I don't really see that kind of abuse happening.

I like to think that if there's a mention in the header of the animation challenge that 'hey, don't just watch all of South Park for the month but instead explore the breath of animation throughout the last 100+ years' then generally people will generally follow the spirit of the challenge. I mean, there were some complaints about the Run the Director Challenge at first with some not wanting to do actual runs before switching to someone else but once they got into the spirit of the challenge, it was fine. And there really wasn't much of any arguing about rules.

Honestly it seems like the most frequent arguing about rules in challenges is what counts for a country challenge or not. :P

sebby

Post by sebby » August 27th, 2020, 9:36 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 12:36 pm
sebby wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 2:52 am
It depends what you watch. Not every TV series is like South Park.

Many series have one continuous story that last many episodes, for example Monster, Gankutsuou, Planetes, Madoka Magica, From the New World, Kaiba, and Serial Experiments Lain. Neon Genesis Evangelion has a complex enough story that people have written thesis papers analyzing it.

There are also animated movies that are broken up into shorter stories. For example: Fantasia, Heavy Metal, Genius Party, Memories, Robot Carnival, Fear(s) of the Dark, Laughter and Grief by the White Sea.
Well yeah, there will always be exceptions. But I think it makes more sense in the spirit of this discussion to focus on the expectable rather than exceptional.

Ultimately I honestly don't care all that much. I'll probably log 15-25 watches for the challenge. Maybe the decision here should fall on who's hosting and who's planning on participating most heavily.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 27th, 2020, 10:12 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 9:23 pm
blocho wrote:
I agree. I don't think it makes sense to only apply to certain challenges but not others. I mean, this month somebody could've just watched all of Happy Days and Newhart Show to rack up a lot of points for the '70s challenge. But I don't really see that kind of abuse happening.

I like to think that if there's a mention in the header of the animation challenge that 'hey, don't just watch all of South Park for the month but instead explore the breath of animation throughout the last 100+ years' then generally people will generally follow the spirit of the challenge. I mean, there were some complaints about the Run the Director Challenge at first with some not wanting to do actual runs before switching to someone else but once they got into the spirit of the challenge, it was fine. And there really wasn't much of any arguing about rules.

Honestly it seems like the most frequent arguing about rules in challenges is what counts for a country challenge or not. :P
I mean, yeah. If you don't like the inclusion of something, don't include it in your viewings. If you don't like the rules/guidelines for something, don't play. We're adults. Discuss things, come to a conclusion, and move forward. Then we each get to make our own decisions as to if/how we play. Speaking personally, I didn't like the Run the Director rules, because I usually don't like watching similar films right in a row. I spoke up, the consensus went in a different direction, so I lived with it. Didn't play much.

Regardless, several of us are saying that including TV in the challenges isn't some systemic problem, so why put the effort into solving it?

frbrown

Post by frbrown » August 27th, 2020, 10:21 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 4:33 pm
I'm not a fan of changing the rules two-thirds of the way through the year.
Good point. I looked at this year's challenges, and a lot of them had the 60 minute rule for TV, and I don't remember this much complaining. TBH, there were also a lot of challenges that required 120 minutes of TV, but 60 for shorts, and there weren't many complaints, either.

We used 60 minutes of TV in every previous Animation challenge.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 27th, 2020, 11:03 pm

The thing is... the challenges are, well, challenges.

While there is only one challenge that have actively tried to win this year, I have tried to make the top 10 of every challenge hosted this year. So, it looks like I will be watching a large helping of animated TV shows next month since that's going to be the easiest way to rack up points. It kinda sucks since I have an extensive list of animated feature films in my blind, but oh well, can't do much about it when the playing field is unleveled...
Image Image Image

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 28th, 2020, 12:01 am

sebby wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 9:36 pm
Well yeah, there will always be exceptions. But I think it makes more sense in the spirit of this discussion to focus on the expectable rather than exceptional.
I've seen 52 anime TV series, and about 10-15 of them are episodic. Maybe episodic TV is more of an American thing.

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 28th, 2020, 1:21 am

sol wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:03 pm

While there is only one challenge that have actively tried to win this year, I have tried to make the top 10 of every challenge hosted this year. So, it looks like I will be watching a large helping of animated TV shows next month since that's going to be the easiest way to rack up points. It kinda sucks since I have an extensive list of animated feature films in my blind, but oh well, can't do much about it when the playing field is unleveled...
I'll be trying* to get this only through features, so I sure hope it's not impossible.

*At least before I lose steam as usual because I can't get competitive enough

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 28th, 2020, 2:07 am

jal90 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:21 am
sol wrote:

I'll be trying* to get this only through features, so I sure hope it's not impossible.

Actually I think the easiest way to rack up a lot of watches is to watch nothing but one-shot anime OVA features, not TV, which are typically in the 45 to 60 minute range.

jal90

Post by jal90 » August 28th, 2020, 2:27 am

flavo5000 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:07 am
jal90 wrote:
sol wrote:

Actually I think the easiest way to rack up a lot of watches is to watch nothing but one-shot anime OVA features, not TV, which are typically in the 45 to 60 minute range.
That's a good strategy, though I don't think there's many one-shot OVA in this length, considering the modern ones tend to be like 25 minutes long (basically an extra TV episode length) and the older ones were typically comprised of various 40-60 minute long episodes. But there's a few I have in mind.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 28th, 2020, 2:38 am

jal90 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:27 am
flavo5000 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:07 am
jal90 wrote:

That's a good strategy, though I don't think there's many one-shot OVA in this length, considering the modern ones tend to be like 25 minutes long (basically an extra TV episode length) and the older ones were typically comprised of various 40-60 minute long episodes. But there's a few I have in mind.
The '80s and '90s had quite a lot of them. I've probably got at least 30 to 40 sitting on my hard drive I've pulled off youtube.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm

blocho wrote:
I agree with this.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 12:40 pm

peeptoad wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm
blocho wrote:
I agree with this.
Sure. We can do this. Last time that I brought the issue to the table though, the general consensus was "let the host do whatever (s)he wants". :shrug:
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Re-post (with some tweaks):

Less than 4 days away from September; who wants to host next month's Challenges?

- Russian / USSR

- Silent Era

- Animation
- frbrown

It would be easier for me if I took September and October off from hosting since I'll be dealing with trying to set up the 2021 challenge schedule and managing all of the heated discussion that comes with that. If I did need to step in for September:

- Silent Era - I could host at pinch with no fun stats or pie charts and simple leaderboard updates

- Russia/USSR - Again, could host with no stats/charts, but I wouldn't have the spare time to double check eligibility (not ideal)

Given the fact that I am already finding this stressful and we haven't even begun setting up the schedule, I wouldn't mind taking September off, but I could step up to host Silents. I don't really want to host both the Silent Era and Russia though... but I can.

Tentative Schedule for 2021 ChallengesShow
Saturday Sep 5 -- release challenge ideas thread and one or two other threads as I want feedback to altering the voting process this year

Saturday Sep 19 -- preliminary polls for challenge ideas

Saturday Sep 26 to Sunday October 11 -- voting period (and maybe less days than that)
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 28th, 2020, 12:47 pm

sol wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:40 pm
peeptoad wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm
blocho wrote:
I agree with this.
Sure. We can do this. Last time that I brought the issue to the table though, the general consensus was "let the host do whatever (s)he wants". :shrug:
Eh, it could probably work either way. "let the host do whatever (s)he wants" seems great, but I get the feeling that some people get irritated when someone wants to make a change in a given month. Or maybe I just irritate people. That sounds more likely actually.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 28th, 2020, 12:53 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 2:46 pm
Challenges are about exploration, and trying something new. Or maybe watching something popular or acclaimed that I haven't seen yet.
True, but mixing in a bunch of TV stuff makes it harder for others (like myself). This is after all a film board and whenever I follow any of the challenge thread I do so to check what other people are watching in order to find recommendations. Wading through to a bunch of TV series listings complicates that.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 12:54 pm

peeptoad wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Or maybe I just irritate people. That sounds more likely actually.
No, you don't. :( I think you have been very diplomatic over the last two pages of this thread. But it is a hard balancing act since there are no set rules. I think this has to change. Letting the hosts just do what they want clearly isn't what the vast majority of us actually want.
Image Image Image

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 28th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:53 pm
mjf314 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 2:46 pm
Challenges are about exploration, and trying something new. Or maybe watching something popular or acclaimed that I haven't seen yet.
True, but mixing in a bunch of TV stuff makes it harder for others (like myself). This is after all a film board and whenever I follow any of the challenge thread I do so to check what other people are watching in order to find recommendations. Wading through to a bunch of TV series listings complicates that.
What about the people who want TV recommendations? I think most animation fans are interested in both films and TV. And like I said earlier, TV episodes are films, so I don't think they're out of place on this forum.

We could separate it into 2 official challenges, but then it takes up another spot on the challenge schedule. Since animated films and TV fanbases have a big overlap, I think it makes sense to combine them.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 28th, 2020, 1:16 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:59 pm
TV episodes are films, so I don't think they're out of place on this forum.

We could separate it into 2 official challenges, but then it takes up another spot on the challenge schedule.
I don't know if I agree about TV episodes being films, but the splitting into two different challenges is an interesting idea.

We could have an Official Animated Movies Challenge and an Unofficial TV Animation Challenge, but I don't think the appetite would be there for that?

One of the things I might propose on the Setting the Challenge Schedule thread next week is having separate voting options for movies/TV - or at least when it comes to the broader/more popular genres and decades, i.e. you could vote for Horror Films and/or Horror TV, 1970s Films and 1970s TV etc.
Image Image Image

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 28th, 2020, 1:17 pm

mjf314 wrote:
What about the people who want TV recommendations?
Dunno? What about people who want game or theater recommendations? There are plenty of animated films, there's already a grey area with mini-series/OAVs that adds a ton of options, I don't see the need to make it even broader.
mjf314 wrote:
And like I said earlier, TV episodes are films, so I don't think they're out of place on this forum.
Not by any common/popular opinion :shrug:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2020, 1:44 pm

I'm not participating but I think updating the shorts/TV rules to 90 minutes in general is a nice idea. I like being able to include shorts and TV in challenges (even though I don't really do it), but 60 mins does seem a bit generous now.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT