Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Future challenges

peeptoad

Re: Future challenges

Post by peeptoad » May 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm

I originally said I'd host 60s, but now my work is gearing up since I am supposed to go back at some point during June... I can still host if shugs needs a break, but it will be very bare bones.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 25th, 2020, 10:10 pm

I'll host the 1960s challenge!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 28th, 2020, 10:13 am

Lilarcor wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 10:10 pm
:poshclap:

So we are currently at:

TSPDT 1-2000 + 21C --> Traveller

1960s --> Lilarcor

China/HK/TW --> sol ?

Anybody else want to host the Chinas? I will again be too busy to do anything other update the leaderboard and provide a rudimentary pie chart a la the current Iberian Challenge. Definitely won't include a bonus challenge since only one person has watched The Territory this month. :ermm: (u)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 28th, 2020, 10:50 am

sol wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 10:13 am
Lilarcor wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 10:10 pm
:poshclap:

So we are currently at:

TSPDT 1-2000 + 21C --> Traveller

1960s --> Lilarcor

China/HK/TW --> sol ?

Anybody else want to host the Chinas? I will again be too busy to do anything other update the leaderboard and provide a rudimentary pie chart a la the current Iberian Challenge. Definitely won't include a bonus challenge since only one person has watched The Territory this month. :ermm: (u)
I can do China/HK/TW !
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 28th, 2020, 12:06 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 10:50 am
I can do China/HK/TW !
:thumbsup: :woot:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 20th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Hey, I know it's a little early still but just wanted to mention I should still be good to host the Run the Director Challenge next month.

Since this is a challenge we haven't done before in an official capacity and it's a little different than most challenges, I thought it'd be good to get a little conversation going on it early just to make sure it's sound before it starts.

My thoughts on rules for it:
-User has to post a minimum of 3 films by a director before switching to another director (please include all three in a single post). If you want to return to a previous director you've already done, the minimum three films resets. What this means is that let's say you watch three films by Ozu then switch to John Ford. Later in the month you decide to watch some more Ozu. You'd still have to watch another three Ozu films to post again.
-No more than one point can be counted for episodes of a TV series or mini-series for a given director. Ex. Steven Soderbergh directed both seasons of The Knick. Wanna watch all of it? Cool. Still just 1 point total. Same would apply to something like Berlin Alexanderplatz for Fassbinder. Conversely, if you want to watch three episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents directed by Alfred Hitchcock and another three directed by Ida Lupino that's fine.

Ideas for a couple of bonus challenges:
-Each film beyond the first 3 counts as a point
- Co-op bonus challenge for the group. Watch as many directors as possible on the TSPDT Top 250 Directors list jointly.

I may come up with one or two others as well.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 20th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Sounds good, flavo. I like the miniseries/TV rule for Berlin Alexanderplatz and The Knick and the like. And I agree about the resets.

How would posting work? I assume we have to wait until we have hit the 3 minimum before posting on the thread. For subsequent viewings, can they just be added on? For example, if I was running through Woody Allen in order, could I go:

1. Take the Money and Run
2. Bananas
3. Everything You Always Wanted to Know...

(then one day later)

4. Sleeper

(then two days later)

5. Love & Death
6. Annie Hall

etc? (assuming no breaks to explore other directors)

Regarding bonus challenges, how about nationality of directors? I would like to encourage diversity next month. Inasmuch as I love Cronenberg, it wouldn't be really be all that great if we were all rewatching his entire filmography (with a couple of exceptions) to claim challenge double points. I have actually been thinking that I'll include a Unique Directors bonus challenge if I host Canada. But that's a big if, and I'm not volunteering just yet.

The TSP challenge could also be good to counter those seeking out directors with lots of Low IMDb ratings for other challenge doubles.
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 20th, 2020, 2:07 pm

One film is one point right ?
If you watch three series episodes with same director, each>45mn, should not you get 3 points but can’t count any more episode with same director ? Maybe that is what you are proposing, I am not sure.

ImageImageImageImage

frbrown

Post by frbrown » June 20th, 2020, 3:11 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 12:52 pm
-User has to post a minimum of 3 films by a director before switching to another director (please include all three in a single post). If you want to return to a previous director you've already done, the minimum three films resets. What this means is that let's say you watch three films by Ozu then switch to John Ford. Later in the month you decide to watch some more Ozu. You'd still have to watch another three Ozu films to post again.
Not sure I see a reason for this. Would it maybe make it easier for you to keep track of things?

With this rule we could only have scores divisible by 3? Someone who watched 5 Ozu films and 5 Ford films would end up tied with someone who watched 3 by Ozu and 3 by Ford?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 20th, 2020, 3:20 pm

frbrown wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 3:11 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
Not sure I see a reason for this. Would it maybe make it easier for you to keep track of things?

With this rule we could only have scores divisible by 3? Someone who watched 5 Ozu films and 5 Ford films would end up tied with someone who watched 3 by Ozu and 3 by Ford?
I think the point that flavo is making is that viewings have to be consecutive. Doesn't have to just be three.

OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
9. How Green Was My Valley
10. Stagecoach

Not OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
9. An Autumn Afternoon
10. How Green Was My Valley

If that makes more sense?
Image Image Image

frbrown

Post by frbrown » June 20th, 2020, 4:12 pm

sol wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 3:20 pm
I think the point that flavo is making is that viewings have to be consecutive. Doesn't have to just be three.

OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
10. Stagecoach

Not OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
9. An Autumn Afternoon

No, I'm afraid it still doesn't make sense :shrug:

In the above example, it would be OK to post 3 Ozu films, and then another 3. It would be OK to post all 6 at once. But it would not be OK to post 4, and then another 2? What's the difference?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 20th, 2020, 4:29 pm

frbrown wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 4:12 pm
In the above example, it would be OK to post 3 Ozu films, and then another 3. It would be OK to post all 6 at once. But it would not be OK to post 4, and then another 2? What's the difference?
If you take a break from watching Director X's films, then you are starting a new run when you resume. And all runs have to be at least three films long.

Of course, the challenge doesn't have to be run that way, but I understand flavo's logic. Maybe he can explain it better than I can?
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 20th, 2020, 4:47 pm

I like the idea of watching at least 3 consecutive films per director before moving on to another director... that makes it more challenging and it's forcing me to plan in advance for next month's challenge views. That's something I consider a good thing...
Not sure I understand the reasoning yet for posting all 3 (or more) films at once though. It would make it easier for flavo to keep track though probably. Is there another reason?

Maybe a bonus point for watching trilogies or just watching a director's films in chrono order?
Or, a bonus point if the director also makes a cameo appearance in the film? (though that would be too easy with some directors)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 20th, 2020, 6:32 pm

I like the idea of watching three in a row and I guess that is the spirit of the challenge but watching and posting are disconnected anyway so no point to rule this.
I think with posting by batch of directors the challenge will be more enjoyable to read for everyone and easier to administrate for the host.

ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 20th, 2020, 9:04 pm

I think having to post at least three films from one director makes sense to "open" that director, but once a director is open, post whenever.

My big reason for this is that flavo's rules, as written, disincentivise posting on an ongoing basis throughout the month. From a points perspective, it would make most sense to hold all watches until the end of the month, then post the Director1 block, and the Director 2 block...

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 21st, 2020, 2:36 am

sol wrote:
frbrown wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 3:11 pm
flavo5000 wrote:

OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
10. Stagecoach

Not OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
9. An Autumn Afternoon

Correct for a couple of reasons. 1. Yes, it does make the actual scoring on my part a little easier. 2. It's also the whole point of the challenge. If I post a movie by John Ford then the very next movie is by Ozu, I'm not running anything. I'm just watching random movies.

And to your example above, I would not require every post to be in groups of three, just the first post for a given director to "kick it off" if you will.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 21st, 2020, 2:39 am

frbrown wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 4:12 pm
sol wrote:

OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
10. Stagecoach

Not OK example
1. The Searchers
2. The Informer
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Grapes of Wrath

5. Tokyo Story
6. Late Spring
7. I Was Born But...

8. My Darling Clementine
9. An Autumn Afternoon

No, I'm afraid it still doesn't make sense :shrug:

If you look at the not OK example, watches 1 through 7 are fine. After that though it just turns into watching random movies and not "running any specific director". And somewhat selfishly on my part, it also makes scoring a nightmare (particularly for the bonus challenge).

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 21st, 2020, 2:42 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 9:04 pm
I think having to post at least three films from one director makes sense to "open" that director, but once a director is open, post whenever.

My big reason for this is that flavo's rules, as written, disincentivise posting on an ongoing basis throughout the month. From a points perspective, it would make most sense to hold all watches until the end of the month, then post the Director1 block, and the Director 2 block...
I think anyone doing that isn't really following the spirit of the challenge, more that they're just watching random movies and happen to look at which watches over the month they can group by director. Challenges are intended to inform viewing habits not the other way around.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 21st, 2020, 2:44 am

Additionally the thing to remember is that there are thousands and thousands of directors out there. This is quite possibly the most open-ended challenge ever hosted on here just from a 'base number of eligible films' standpoint since technically all movies from any director who has made 3 films or more (or enough shorts/tv/etc to make up the points) is eligible. So some kind of rules have to be imposed to actually make it a challenge; otherwise what's the point?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 21st, 2020, 3:24 am

this challenge was designed as an affront to the Charles Laughtons of the world!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 21st, 2020, 3:52 am

flavo5000 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 2:44 am
Additionally the thing to remember is that there are thousands and thousands of directors out there. This is quite possibly the most open-ended challenge ever hosted on here just from a 'base number of eligible films' standpoint since technically all movies from any director who has made 3 films or more (or enough shorts/tv/etc to make up the points) is eligible. So some kind of rules have to be imposed to actually make it a challenge; otherwise what's the point?
Amen to that. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 21st, 2020, 11:51 am

funkybusiness wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 3:24 am
this challenge was designed as an affront to the Charles Laughtons of the world!
Laughton came close though! He was an uncredited director on The Man on the Eiffel Tower. Probably one of those situations where the director got fired and he stepped in to finish the picture or something. As Meatloaf once said, 'two out of three ain't bad'.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » June 21st, 2020, 3:40 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:51 am
funkybusiness wrote:
Laughton came close though! He was an uncredited director on The Man on the Eiffel Tower.
Will uncredited work count for the challenge?

How about co-directed films?

Anthology films?

And how will scoring work for shorts?

(After all these questions, I probably won't be very active in the challenge :ph43r: )

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 21st, 2020, 10:22 pm

frbrown wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 3:40 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:51 am
funkybusiness wrote:
Laughton came close though! He was an uncredited director on The Man on the Eiffel Tower.
Will uncredited work count for the challenge?

How about co-directed films?

Anthology films?

And how will scoring work for shorts?

(After all these questions, I probably won't be very active in the challenge :ph43r: )
Oh, right. I actually had answers in mind for all of these, just forgot to mention them before.

Basically I would go with the same rule that allison did in the women directors challenge. If the movie has listed on IMDB more than one director, whether uncredited, anthology or co-directed, then it would count for the declared director. If referenced for one director, it can't be referenced again for another though.

Examples:
-If you want to do an Ernest B. Shoedsack run for instance, King Kong would count (even though he was both a co-director and actually initially uncredited). But King Kong couldn't be used again later if you wanted to do a Merian C. Cooper run. I know the uncredited stuff can vary wildly from major replacement of a director after a previous one was fired resulting in a radical departure from the original film like the 1996 Island of Dr Moreau started by Richard Stanley but finished by John Frankenheimer to someone coming in to tidy the film up with some quick reshoots at the last minute that really doesn't radically alter the film from its initial conception like Joss Whedon coming in at the end of Justice League to de-Snyder it a little. That's why it's easier to just say any listed director counts. I honestly don't have time to go researching how much a particular director contributed to a project (and in many instances I'm sure there's no easy way to even know regardless).
-If you wanted to do a Bong Joon Ho run, Tokyo! would count but it couldn't be used again for Michel Gondry or Leos Carax.
Any anthology film watched would still count as one point even if the director only had a 30 minute segment in it as long as you watched the full film. That's probably not the most ideal way to do it, but it is definitely the easiest way to both post and score rather than having to time that one director's specific segment to treat as a short film.

Speaking of short films, that one is more straightforward. Just the usual 60 minutes of shorts count as 1 point and also counts as one complete post of the required initial three film to post for the start of the run. So if you want to do a Kenneth Anger run for instance, Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome and Scorpio Rising together would count as one of the required three films to start the run. So you'd basically need at least two more hours of short films to post your initial 3 points.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 21st, 2020, 11:35 pm

I like the strict ruling that keeps it in the spirit of the challenge instead of users randomly watching movies and then posting cause they happened to be by the same director.

Ideas for bonus challenges;
Longest run; the user with the most movies by one director watched consecutively wins.
Most diverse; the user with the most different directors wins (of course all with the minimum of 3). (If this is too hard to keep track of for flavo, flavo could ask users, wanting to compete in this BC, to post the amount of directors they’ve seen)
Completed filmographies; users get a point for watching all movies by a director in the challenge, the user with the most points (=the most completed filmographies) wins.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 22nd, 2020, 1:28 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:35 pm
I like the strict ruling that keeps it in the spirit of the challenge instead of users randomly watching movies and then posting cause they happened to be by the same director.

Ideas for bonus challenges;
Longest run; the user with the most movies by one director watched consecutively wins.
Most diverse; the user with the most different directors wins (of course all with the minimum of 3). (If this is too hard to keep track of for flavo, flavo could ask users, wanting to compete in this BC, to post the amount of directors they’ve seen)
Completed filmographies; users get a point for watching all movies by a director in the challenge, the user with the most points (=the most completed filmographies) wins.
I like those first two. They have a nice balance where it's very unlikely the same user would win both. Also it's not very hard to keep track of the second one as long as people declare the new director correctly.

I had actually thought about that third one, but it's a little trickier to do for a couple of reasons. For one, it encourages people to find directors with the shortest filmographies (basically directors who have made exactly three films). Additionally, it's a little tricky to determine what would actually count as completing the filmography. Would you have to watch all directed TV episodes and short films as well? And what if a movie/short is lost? That one just seems a little less feasible.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 23rd, 2020, 10:20 pm

:thumbsup: for flavo's ideas for structuring the challenge.

:thumbsup: for Lonewolf's challenge suggestions:

Most diverse; the user with the most different directors wins

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 24th, 2020, 12:11 am

I just hope that OP of the challenge has some director lists to make it easier to find movies to watch

Like what directors have the Most Official Checks?

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 24th, 2020, 2:02 am

blueboybob wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:11 am
I just hope that OP of the challenge has some director lists to make it easier to find movies to watch

The TSPDT Top 250 Director List should make for a pretty solid place to go for recommendations. As for which director has the most official checks, that'd be an interesting one to try to figure out. You'd probably need to take Tim's list of all films on at least one list and throw together a pivot table to basically do counts of each director and then sort. Directors like Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Ford and Bergman that had a pretty lengthy filmography where nearly every film on it is official would be good guesses. But it could also be some random B-movie director who just did a lot of noir and westerns that happens to show up on a lot of lists. :shrug:

Honestly the way I've been approaching it is just looking at my to-watch stacks of movies and grouping by director. Then I'll probably just pick a director randomly and go with them until I either run out of stuff to watch by that director or get tired of them.

Mochard

Post by Mochard » June 24th, 2020, 3:32 am

The way I am going to approach this run the director challenge is to try and get some more directors into my top favorites list. Currently my cut off is 6 films, so I'm going to try to watch the top averages of directors that I have watched 3 or more films from.

My only exception to this is Alfred Hitchcock. I have seen 40 of his films so I would like to try and finish off his filmography if I can. It's pretty much just silents I have left.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 24th, 2020, 4:01 am

blueboybob wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:11 am
This is almost what you're asking:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2486&hilit=director ... ial+checks

Data is a little out of date, though.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 24th, 2020, 4:51 am

psychotronicbeatnik wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:20 pm

what about the highest # of points from the challenge? Does it have to be either most diverse or longest run?

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 24th, 2020, 1:22 pm

allisoncm wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 4:51 am

what about the highest # of points from the challenge? Does it have to be either most diverse or longest run?
Those are just the bonus challenges. The main challenge will be just total points like usual and diversity and length of run doesn't affect that.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 24th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Mochard wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 3:32 am
The way I am going to approach this run the director challenge is to try and get some more directors into my top favorites list. Currently my cut off is 6 films, so I'm going to try to watch the top averages of directors that I have watched 3 or more films from.

My only exception to this is Alfred Hitchcock. I have seen 40 of his films so I would like to try and finish off his filmography if I can. It's pretty much just silents I have left.
Given your avatar, I'd say finishing off Hitch is a good idea. :thumbsup: I was probably going to do a run of Hitchcock myself. I'm also pretty close to finishing his filmography, but I don't have access to all of them remaining. So I'll probably just watch the early ones on this new blu-ray set I got and maybe one or two others then move on.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 27th, 2020, 4:08 am

Probably time to think about July Challenge hosts.

Run the Director - flavo5000

Low IMDb Rating - ?

Canada - ?

As mentioned above, I could host Canada. I love their film industry and really enjoyed the past two Canadian Challenges that I won. We have a lot of Canadian users though, so it's probably better if we could get a Canadian host. I could message Ferg and see if he wants to host again. See who chimes in on this thread first though.

I'm less interested in hosting Low IMDb Rating, because those challenges were insanely busy the last couple of times that they were run. I could do it though if we can find a Canadian host but not one for this challenge. For those interested in hosting Low IMDb Rating, the cut-off that we use is 5.4, since 5.5 is the middle rating on a 1 to 10 scale.
Image Image Image

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » June 27th, 2020, 7:04 am

I would be fine doing the low-rating if noone is more interested/has more free time

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » June 27th, 2020, 10:43 am

An interesting list for the Run the Director challenge: https://letterboxd.com/fliptrotsky/list ... trilogies/

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 27th, 2020, 3:21 pm

zzzorf wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 7:04 am
I would be fine doing the low-rating if noone is more interested/has more free time
Thanks, zzzorf. By the way, Ferg replied to my PM and said that he's fine to host again but also fine if somebody else wants to take up the reigns.

Any other Canadians keen on hosting out there? :shifty:
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 27th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Curious to see who will dare triple... If you can find that one lousy Canadian director...

ImageImageImageImage

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 27th, 2020, 6:02 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 1:22 pm
allisoncm wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 4:51 am

Those are just the bonus challenges. The main challenge will be just total points like usual and diversity and length of run doesn't affect that.
Gotcha! That's good, because I was hoping to do more of a mix. 7 films here, 4 films there, etc.