Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Shorts (Results), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Saenghwalui balgyeon, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

Future challenges

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: Future challenges

Post by funkybusiness » December 25th, 2018, 8:15 am

yep for russia/ussr. I'll start the thread boxing day or the day after.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 25th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Oh yeah. I'm down to host. I'll take Sci-Fi/Fantasy so you can host Rosenbaum, sol. And thanks, funk!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 28th, 2018, 3:01 am

Regarding the impending Jonathan Rosenbaum Challenge, there are two TV series in the Essentials list: The Wire and Borgen.

Both of these shows have episodes that appear to be less than an hour long. In order to create a level playing field, I'm thinking of going with:

2 episodes of The Wire or Borgen = 1 point

Unless anyone has any suggestions or objections. Now's your time to speak if you do!

I'll probably wait until the morning of December 31 to open the Challenge thread.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 28th, 2018, 3:12 am

In other challenges, individual episodes longer than 40 minutes are 1 point each.

The episodes for those TV shows are usually something like 58-59 minutes each. I don't see the problem of just saying they are 1 point each episode.

I do remember some other challenges with a maximum number of TV episodes that could count towards the challenge, though.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 28th, 2018, 3:20 am

For miniseries, yes - 40 minute episodes are usually counted as one point. But these are television shows with several seasons between them. The Wire alone has 60 episodes.

The main thing that I am looking at is that ~110 minutes (rather than ~55mins) is closer to the length of the average feature film, which creates a more level playing field.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 28th, 2018, 4:11 am

The usual 60/40 rules are fine with me.
That's all, folks!

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 28th, 2018, 5:35 am

sol wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 3:20 am
For miniseries, yes - 40 minute episodes are usually counted as one point. But these are television shows with several seasons between them. The Wire alone has 60 episodes.

The main thing that I am looking at is that ~110 minutes (rather than ~55mins) is closer to the length of the average feature film, which creates a more level playing field.
Right--so I cannot remember which challenge it was earlier this year, but they instituted a rule wherein you could only watch up to N (I think 10 or 20?) TV episodes and have it count towards the challenge for that very reason.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 28th, 2018, 5:59 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 4:11 am
The usual 60/40 rules are fine with me.
So, you'd be happy for someone to win the Rosenbaum Challenge simply by amassing 90 points from watching every episode of The Wire and Borgen?
weirdboy wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 5:35 am
sol wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 3:20 am

Right--so I cannot remember which challenge it was earlier this year, but they instituted a rule wherein you could only watch up to N (I think 10 or 20?) TV episodes and have it count towards the challenge for that very reason.
I know which challenge you're talking about (21st century) and the reason why 72a introduced that rule was to stop someone winning the challenge simply by watching endless 20 minute sitcom episodes.

There are no sitcom episodes in the Rosenbaum list; the only issue as such that watching the entirety of The Wire (~60 hours) would give 60 points. To achieve 60 points from watching average feature length movies, you'd need to sit through ~90 hours of audiovisual material. That's a huge disparity and does not create a level playing field.

I think capping the maximum # of points for watching The Wire or Borgen would be too confusing (I'm sure that some unintentionally as well as intentionally would carry on adding episodes to their view count).

Another option would be to make one season of each show worth 8 points (rather than 10 or 12) - but again, this would probably be confusing for those who like to record their viewings one episode at a time.

I think the only logical ways forward at the moment are:

a) make two TV episodes worth 1 point

b) make one TV episode worth 1 point and just accept that anyone who has the stamina to watch all of one of those shows gets a 60 or 30 point boost
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 28th, 2018, 6:18 am

Yes, it would be OK with me. Not intending to go there myself, though!
That's all, folks!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 28th, 2018, 8:44 am

I'm totally with Option B.

I haven't seen Borgen, but The Wire is AMAZING and if you want to watch it, go for it. And pretty much every episode of The Wire is ~60m, so I don't see much difference between watching that or sorting the Rosenbaum list by runtime and starting with the shortest unseen. If you're that interested in the gamification aspect of the challenges, there are always ways to play and manipulate it.

And lets not overstate the importance of the challenges (and I'm, well, me). They're fun, but it's not like I'm going to list my performance in the documentary challenge this month on my resume. Sure, people have won some individual challenges here and there based in large part on TV series - but no one I've noticed is watching primarily TV just to win challenges. So my vote largely falls on the "let's not solve problems we don't have" spectrum.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » December 28th, 2018, 9:47 am

Option B seems fine to me.

I'll participte on this challenge, and I won't watch The Wire, so this might not be good for my ranking but I don't care :)

Everyone should watch The Wire, and if the perspective of getting 60 points can convince people to watch it, go for it !!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 28th, 2018, 9:50 am

tourdesb wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 9:47 am
Option B seems fine to me.

I'll participte on this challenge, and I won't watch The Wire, so this might not be good for my ranking but I don't care :)

Everyone should watch The Wire, and if the perspective of getting 60 points can convince people to watch it, go for it !!
Hmm. Okay; I'll go for option B and let everybody watch however many episodes they want to for one point apiece.

I actually haven't seen The Wire myself - and I am intrigued by it - so maybe January's the time to finally give it a go. 60 points does sound attractive...
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 28th, 2018, 9:56 am

I watched three seasons of The Wire and it’s one of the worst shows I’ve watched. I don’t understand the acclaim :shrug:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 28th, 2018, 10:04 am

mightysparks wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 9:56 am
I watched three seasons of The Wire and it’s one of the worst shows I’ve watched. I don’t understand the acclaim :shrug:
I'm kind of worried about that. I guess if Season One sucks, I don't have to continue with the rest, though I assume I need to have watched all five seasons to legitimately gain that coveted Official Check. :think:
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 28th, 2018, 10:19 am

sol wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:04 am
mightysparks wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 9:56 am
I'm kind of worried about that. I guess if Season One sucks, I don't have to continue with the rest, though I assume I need to have watched all five seasons to legitimately gain that coveted Official Check. :think:
Yeah I need to get back to it and finish it off. I couldn’t even remember any of the characters while I was watching it though so I’m probably going to struggle with remembering wtf was going on when I stopped. I thought the third season was the most interesting (I think) but it’s still only tolerable at best. Most people seem to love it though so you’ll probably be safe :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 28th, 2018, 10:53 am

mighty dgaf about US social issues (which is fine, mighty, you do you) and that's the entirety of the intent behind The Wire. it's an increasingly granular investigation, written by local former journalists and cops (and a teacher), into the issues of early '00s Baltimore, Maryland (which is right outside Washington, DC). each season focuses on a different aspect of the city, and each is structured as its own story within the overarching narrative. the first season is about the interactivity, on a social, political and individual level, of race relations, class structure, police brutality, the seemingly insular drug dealing and using communities, the local and city-wide political hierarchy, &c. framed within a story that initially seems like just a simple cops and drug dealers story. it's routinely considered one of the top 2 or 3 greatest television dramas ever. but not living in the US or being intimately acquainted with its politics and social issues would, I think, make it somewhat inaccessible.

I rewatched the first season not too long ago and it definitely holds up (unlike other acclaimed series like Breaking Bad, which I find unwatchable now, and in only 1/2 the time between its initial run and now!). The 1st season is not the best tho, I'd rank 'em 3,2,1,4,5. The last season suffers from one particularly bad subplot, and that it was cut from 13 episodes to 10 at the last minute, during the only season in which they didn't think they were going to get cancelled.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 28th, 2018, 11:13 am

oh but seasons 3 to 5 have Aidan Gillen, so that's probably why mighty enjoyed the third the most :lol:

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » December 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm

I can host the decade challenges again next year if that’s okay.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 28th, 2018, 2:20 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm
I can host the decade challenges again next year if that’s okay.
Sounds like a plan. And with no hosting duties until February, you'll have plenty of time to find an avatar. tehe
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 28th, 2018, 2:22 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:53 am
not living in the US or being intimately acquainted with its politics and social issues would, I think, make it somewhat inaccessible
Well, I know something of US social and political issues from what I've seen on TV/movies and heard on the radio. Possibly not enough? :shrug:
Image Image Image

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 28th, 2018, 3:28 pm

According to many, The Wire is one of the most accurate depictions of criminal investigation and legal procedures in the US.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » December 28th, 2018, 3:30 pm

sol wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 2:22 pm
funkybusiness wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:53 am
not living in the US or being intimately acquainted with its politics and social issues would, I think, make it somewhat inaccessible
Well, I know something of US social and political issues from what I've seen on TV/movies and heard on the radio. Possibly not enough? :shrug:
Suburb ghettos, drug gangs, corruption, police/justice/politicians conflicts, harbor smuggling: Baltimore and the US don't have monopoly on these so the background of the series should be appealing for a lot of people around the world. And yeah I dont see how this can be called the worst show ever, if you have any interest for crime dramas to start with. But it is way more ambitious than that in all aspects of film making and I can totally see why it is on an "essential" viewing list.
(I am half-way through season 2 so this will get me a kick to finish it off and maybe start season 3).
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 28th, 2018, 5:31 pm

A good way to get your feet wet on The Wire is with The Corner. 6 episode mini-series that acts as a pseudo-precursor to The Wire.

Also set in the ghettos of Baltimore, The Corner focuses on the users, while The Wire focuses on the dealers and the cops. The Corner shares a lot of people with The Wire and is based on real stories.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 1st, 2019, 9:19 pm

Just updated the Challenge Index thread. Moved the "old" year to the next post (as we usually do) and posted the index for this year's challenges. Let me know if I made any mistakes.

The index for 2018 isn't quite complete, the winners of the December challenges still need to be filled in. I'll do that as soon as the challenges are official complete.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 2nd, 2019, 3:56 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 9:19 pm
Just updated the Challenge Index thread. Moved the "old" year to the next post (as we usually do) and posted the index for this year's challenges. Let me know if I made any mistakes.

The index for 2018 isn't quite complete, the winners of the December challenges still need to be filled in. I'll do that as soon as the challenges are official complete.
Thanks so much for doing that! :thumbsup:

A little request (if it's not too much work). Are you able to put the winning scores achieved by the winners of each Challenge after their username? This was the format done for 2017 and all years prior - and it provides interesting at-a-glance information.
Image Image Image

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 2nd, 2019, 4:16 am

sol wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 3:56 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 9:19 pm

Thanks so much for doing that! :thumbsup:

A little request (if it's not too much work). Are you able to put the winning scores achieved by the winners of each Challenge after their username? This was the format done for 2017 and all years prior - and it provides interesting at-a-glance information.
That should definitely be possible and probably not too much work.

[EDIT: Done. Sheesh, some of you guys watch too many movies!]
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 2nd, 2019, 6:30 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 4:16 am
EDIT: Done. Sheesh, some of you guys watch too many movies!]
:cheers:

(yes, guilty and I agree) :ph43r:
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » January 7th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Don't know what I am doing at the ending of the month, so I might as well say it now.
I can host the Academy Awards next month
(seems they need a host too)

I can also host the challenge.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 7th, 2019, 10:37 pm

albajos wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Don't know what I am doing at the ending of the month, so I might as well say it now.

you can borrow my husband's paternity suit (he defended his Norwegian PhD dissertation wearing his father's tails)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » January 9th, 2019, 6:23 pm

albajos wrote:

:lol: Where's Robin Williams or David Niven when you need them, eh? If you hosted, I would definitely tune in. They should have a golden ticket contest like in Willy Wonka to find a host.

:cheers:

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 19th, 2019, 6:51 pm

albajos wrote:

Why not start it when the nominees are announced like last year's unofficial one? ;)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 25th, 2019, 8:49 am

With one week left to go, let's talk about the February Challenges.

2019 Challenge Schedule
MonthCountry ChallengeGenre/Decade ChallengeTheme Challenge
February China/HK/Taiwan 1930s Academy Award Nominees

72a has expressed interest in hosting the 1930s Challenge, while albajos has volunteered to the host the Academy Awards (both the Challenge and ceremony itself).

Assuming that's still on, that leaves us with just the Chinese Challenge (good alliteration there). Any volunteers to host?

I'll probably sit February out from hosting duties, unless you guys need me to step in. Back at work next month and should be pretty busy, first term settling in and all. I might be available in March/April to host War or Oceania, but it all depends how busy the term ends up being. And of course, I am open to others hosting who want to win that much-coveted "Hostesses with the Mostesses" award. :)
Image Image Image

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 25th, 2019, 9:21 am

I can host the Chinese Challenge again, if need be

Coryn

Post by Coryn » January 25th, 2019, 10:20 am

It's a bit too early for me but I'd like to host one next month if there should be a spot available.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 25th, 2019, 11:00 am

Coryn wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 10:20 am
It's a bit too early for me but I'd like to host one next month if there should be a spot available.
:clap:

From the sounds of things, funky would be okay with you hosting the Chinese Challenge next month - unless I'm misinterpreting his words.

There is also the French Challenge in March if you feel up to hosting that.

Always nice to have new blood in the hosting game. As you can probably tell, it's not that complicated - mainly just keep the leaderboard relatively up-to-date. You can post weekly updates like max and albajos often do, but it's not a requirement (or expected) at all.
Image Image Image

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 25th, 2019, 11:58 am

I was planning on hosting but if Coryn wants to, I can step aside, especially fine as my shoulder/neck thing is still bothering me.

I was planning elaborate weekly updates for the Russian challenge but my injury has been worse than I thought it would be.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » January 25th, 2019, 12:04 pm

sol wrote:Assuming that's still on
I’ll make a 30s thread soon.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » January 25th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Sorry for not being very clear.
I originally said I thought it was a bit too early for me to do the february challenge but would be up for it the month after that.

If funky trusts me with it I'd be up to host it in february already though. Maybe would need a little bit of help.

Ps: My preference would go out to doing the French challenge though.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 25th, 2019, 2:18 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
I was planning on hosting but if Coryn wants to, I can step aside, especially fine as my shoulder/neck thing is still bothering me.
Coryn wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 1:44 pm
My preference would go out to doing the French challenge though.
OK, for the moment, let's plug in:

- China - funky

- France - Coryn

Hope the shoulder thing gets better funky. Glad to see you're still eager to host though we'd all understand if you suddenly find it's too much with the injury.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm

:blink:

Is this the first time we have all host positions filled for two months in advance?

China: funky
1930s: 72a
Oscars: albajos

France: Coryn
War: sol (potentially)
Female Directors: allison

And to think, just a month or so ago maxwell was saying that hosting was "not not a problem". :D
Image Image Image