Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Future challenges

Post Reply
User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5931
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Future challenges

#2401

Post by albajos » October 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm

It becomes more difficult to define now that some movies premieres on Netflix and cinema the same day. But older movies are easily spotted on imdb, yes.

I don't think even know if they should define direct to Netflix and HBO as TV movies, but it makes sense in a way.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2402

Post by sol » October 29th, 2018, 3:10 pm

For those wondering, I will be starting the thread for the Criterion/MoC Challenge in the next 18-24 hours. I'd do it earlier, but time is not my friend at the moment, and not everyone needs to be as prompt as max and albajos. :P
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 2796
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#2403

Post by jeroeno » November 11th, 2018, 8:27 am

So about this Forum Lists Challenge next month... which Forum Lists will be eligable ?

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2540
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#2404

Post by 72allinncallme » November 11th, 2018, 8:57 am

jeroeno wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 8:27 am
So about this Forum Lists Challenge next month... which Forum Lists will be eligable ?
Good question. I think we should exclude DtC and 500<400, they have had a challenge on their own earlier this year.


We should also exclude the «every movie voted for» lists and only use the newest edition of the top lists.

It was my idea so I can do the hosting if no one objects. I can set up the thread early with every eligble lists to avoid confusion.
I’m willing to discuss the points above ofc, but thats my stance anyhow :)
Last edited by 72allinncallme on November 11th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 2796
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#2405

Post by jeroeno » November 11th, 2018, 9:06 am

How about only the 2018 Forum Lists?
- iCM Forum's 1001 Favourite Movies
- 500 < 400
- Favourite Films of the Current Decade So Far
- Favorite African Movies
- Favourite French Films
- Favourite Movies from South-East Asia
- Favorite Middle East Movies
- Favourite Movies from Oceania
- Favourite Korean Film
- Favourite German Films
- Favourite Films on 0 Official Lists

I see there's also an Iberian list coming but that'll probably not be finished in time.

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2540
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#2406

Post by 72allinncallme » November 11th, 2018, 9:21 am

Not a bad idea. But not what the voters voted for last year. The poll schedule for 2018 didn’t even exist.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7834
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#2407

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 11th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I think we should include the latest edition of every list we’ve made. So every latest edition list mentioned in the New List index OP. Definitely only the top lists and not the all nominations-lists, because the first are the lists and the later only extra background info for the interested and people who want to delve deeper in a subject. Also only the big monthly polls should be include, the year polls shouldn’t be.

<400 should be included, because that is a list made by this forum also. DTC shouldn’t be, cause that isn’t a list just exclusively made by this forum.

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 2796
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#2408

Post by jeroeno » November 11th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 12:28 pm

<400 should be included, because that is a list made by this forum also. DTC shouldn’t be, cause that isn’t a list just exclusively made by this forum.
This. :thumbsup:

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2540
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#2409

Post by 72allinncallme » November 11th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 12:28 pm
I think we should include the latest edition of every list we’ve made. So every latest edition list mentioned in the New List index OP. Definitely only the top lists and not the all nominations-lists, because the first are the lists and the later only extra background info for the interested and people who want to delve deeper in a subject. Also only the big monthly polls should be include, the year polls shouldn’t be.

<400 should be included, because that is a list made by this forum also. DTC shouldn’t be, cause that isn’t a list just exclusively made by this forum.
I can’t see any reason to why the year polls should be excluded.

I don’t remember if there were any discussion around the subject back when we voted for it. But I thought it was supposed to be a challenge for all the unofficial polls we have done. That was my intension anyway. If one want to watch 500<400 movies, most of them are on at least one of the unofficial forum list too...

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2410

Post by sol » November 11th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I'd like to see the full 1000<400 list included in the Challenge (good prep for next year etc) if we decide to include <400 in the Forum List Challenge. That said, of the three December Challenges, I am far more likely to focus on Canada and Documentary.

Has lampa updated the 1000<400 list yet?
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7834
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#2411

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 11th, 2018, 2:25 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 12:57 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 12:28 pm
I think we should include the latest edition of every list we’ve made. So every latest edition list mentioned in the New List index OP. Definitely only the top lists and not the all nominations-lists, because the first are the lists and the later only extra background info for the interested and people who want to delve deeper in a subject. Also only the big monthly polls should be include, the year polls shouldn’t be.

<400 should be included, because that is a list made by this forum also. DTC shouldn’t be, cause that isn’t a list just exclusively made by this forum.
I can’t see any reason to why the year polls should be excluded.
Mostly because it will be way too massive then, if it isn’t is already. Also because I personally don’t see the year list as in the same class as the monthly polls. Their focus is too narrow.
I don’t remember if there were any discussion around the subject back when we voted for it. But I thought it was supposed to be a challenge for all the unofficial polls we have done. That was my intension anyway. If one want to watch 500<400 movies, most of them are on at least one of the unofficial forum list too...
Going with just unofficial polls and excluding the <400 list is fine with me. But if we do include the <400 list we should do the 500<400 list not the 1000<400, because the first is the list the second isn't.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7834
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#2412

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm

This will be a controversial suggestion, but maybe cause the scope of the forum list-challenge is so broad, we could disallow rewatches in that challenge. So the amount of movies people can watch for it, will be a bit narrower and the focus of the challenge would be on "discovering" new films and completing the lists.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2413

Post by sol » November 11th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Sounds okay to me. Agree about the Challenge being crazily broad.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2540
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#2414

Post by 72allinncallme » November 11th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm
This will be a controversial suggestion, but maybe cause the scope of the forum list-challenge is so broad, we could disallow rewatches in that challenge. So the amount of movies people can watch for it, will be a bit narrower and the focus of the challenge would be on "discovering" new films and completing the lists.
Sounds okay to me too.

So:
- Only unofficial forum lists.
- Only the top list (no ‘every movie voted for’)
- Only movies from the newest edition of lists that have been done more than once.
- No Year by Year lists
- No lists that’s been made out of IMDb ratings like this (?)
- no rewatches.

Not carved in stone this, but looks okay to me.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5931
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#2415

Post by albajos » November 11th, 2018, 3:45 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 3:32 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm
This will be a controversial suggestion, but maybe cause the scope of the forum list-challenge is so broad, we could disallow rewatches in that challenge. So the amount of movies people can watch for it, will be a bit narrower and the focus of the challenge would be on "discovering" new films and completing the lists.
Sounds okay to me too.

So:
- Only unofficial forum lists.
- Only the top list (no ‘every movie voted for’)
- Only movies from the newest edition of lists that have been done more than once.
- No Year by Year lists
- No lists that’s been made out of IMDb ratings like this (?)
- no rewatches.

Not carved in stone this, but looks okay to me.
When I saw the suggestion in the poll I thoight it was only the top 1000 Forum Favorites and themagician's list. But the latter hasn't been updated in a while.

But it looks fine by me with 5 other points. The pool is big regardless.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator
Posts: 1402
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Oregon
Contact:

#2416

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 14th, 2018, 7:53 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 3:32 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm
This will be a controversial suggestion, but maybe cause the scope of the forum list-challenge is so broad, we could disallow rewatches in that challenge. So the amount of movies people can watch for it, will be a bit narrower and the focus of the challenge would be on "discovering" new films and completing the lists.
Sounds okay to me too.

So:
- Only unofficial forum lists.
- Only the top list (no ‘every movie voted for’)
- Only movies from the newest edition of lists that have been done more than once.
- No Year by Year lists
- No lists that’s been made out of IMDb ratings like this (?)
- no rewatches.

Not carved in stone this, but looks okay to me.

I disagree with No Rewatches - but that's my age talking. I'm 57, so a lot of the films I rewatch I haven't seen in 3-5 decades and that's very much like a first time viewing for me. I find those rewatches just as rewarding as first time views.

Everything else sounds great and I appreciate the effort to get the eligible lists up early so we can plan ahead.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5931
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#2417

Post by albajos » November 14th, 2018, 8:06 pm

"Don't rewatch anything you have seen in the last 10 years"

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7834
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#2418

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 14th, 2018, 10:09 pm

"Rewatches only allowed if you are over 50 years old" :lol:

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator
Posts: 1402
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Oregon
Contact:

#2419

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 17th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 10:09 pm
"Rewatches only allowed if you are over 50 years old" :lol:
:lol: Like a handicapped race. There are trail races where the older you are the more of a head start you get - and women actually start earlier than men of the same age too. There's a local one which a woman in her 60s has won twice! And by winning she actually handicaps herself a couple of minutes for each future race.

User avatar
wowwee123
Posts: 1311
Joined: Jun 11, 2011
Location: "Here's to watching shorts"
Contact:

#2420

Post by wowwee123 » November 19th, 2018, 3:50 pm

What about having a "3+" titles as an official challenge one month?
!שלום Shalom!

Check out these (4) lists on iCM: Full listing of every title on an official list ~~~ {Thread to discuss these lists here.}

Please take a look at this post (in the 3+ unofficial challenge thread) for an important update to the future of the 3+ Unofficial challenge.

Please read this if you post links on iCM, to where one can watch titles. // Dupes & other title issues

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2421

Post by sol » November 19th, 2018, 4:04 pm

wowwee123 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 3:50 pm
What about having a "3+" titles as an official challenge one month?
The idea was already suggested this year -- and voted on -- but it was not popular enough to make it into the 2019 lineup: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3953

For what it's worth, this is the current Challenge Schedule for 2019. I could probably edit to call it 'Final' now.

And for everyone else reading this, I will be releasing a final thread soon to discuss Challenge rules and consistency etc for 2019 (including what to do about TV episodes). I was planning to release the thread in December, but I could do it this weekend if I have the chance. I mean, unless something in the Poll Schedule grossly conflicts with the Challenge Schedule, I don't see us making further adjustments.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5931
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#2422

Post by albajos » November 19th, 2018, 4:07 pm

We should have discussed TV episodes before the poll. For 2019 it should just be for the hosts to decide.

Otherwise the TV challenge would maybe have more support if any changes were decided before the poll.

User avatar
wowwee123
Posts: 1311
Joined: Jun 11, 2011
Location: "Here's to watching shorts"
Contact:

#2423

Post by wowwee123 » November 19th, 2018, 5:47 pm

sol wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 4:04 pm
wowwee123 wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 3:50 pm
What about having a "3+" titles as an official challenge one month?
The idea was already suggested this year -- and voted on -- but it was not popular enough to make it into the 2019 lineup: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3953
I see, I think I missed this voting opportunity. It has a small following, more are welcome to join.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2424

Post by sol » November 24th, 2018, 7:21 am

With less than a week left to go, how are we are set for December Challenge hosts?

Documentary - tourdesb
Forum Lists - 72allinncallme
Canada - ?

Do we have any Canadian users who want to guest host?

At a pinch, I could host, however, I will not be policing eligibility if I do host, so somebody who cares more about those things may want to host. I'm looking forward to this one since I am only 10 off a Bronze on the Official Canadian list and it was really fun last time digging into all the Canuxploitation titles from the 70s and 80s.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1134
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#2425

Post by Lakigigar » November 24th, 2018, 8:45 am

Ah great... i didn't know forum lists actually meant that. I actually didn't want to participate in a challenge, because i wanted to work on some top-rated movies, but if forum lists meant that, than i'll automatically already focus on it.

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2122
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#2426

Post by nimimerkillinen » November 24th, 2018, 10:50 am

having annual official list (maybe as an addition to the three) of the current year in december would be cool, would probably at least somewhat boost and encourage a bit to dive deeper for that year by year recap poll
but im probably in minority here

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6623
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#2427

Post by maxwelldeux » November 24th, 2018, 10:48 pm

sol wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 7:21 am
Do we have any Canadian users who want to guest host?

At a pinch, I could host, however, I will not be policing eligibility if I do host, so somebody who cares more about those things may want to host. I'm looking forward to this one since I am only 10 off a Bronze on the Official Canadian list and it was really fun last time digging into all the Canuxploitation titles from the 70s and 80s.
I'm in the exact same boat. I'd appreciate a month off, but can jump in if needed.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3182
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#2428

Post by Fergenaprido » November 25th, 2018, 4:32 am

If it's just about setting up the thread and casual updates, I can host it. But I'm travelling a fair bit in December, and going home for the holidays, so daily and maybe even weekly updates are off the table.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2429

Post by sol » November 25th, 2018, 11:24 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 4:32 am
If it's just about setting up the thread and casual updates, I can host it. But I'm travelling a fair bit in December, and going home for the holidays, so daily and maybe even weekly updates are off the table.
Well, a lot would depend on how strict you are going to be with eligibility when it comes to co-productions. If you want to be as strict as you were when you ran the Canadian Poll, I think it would be unwise to host. It could be frustrating for participants to be told that their watches are ineligible several days after posting them. If, on the other hand, you're okay for us to make a mature decision about which co-productions should and should not count, hosting the thread with updates only once every few days should be okay. But is more likely to be 2-3 days or a whole week? Updates less often than once a week are not really ideal. It might be best for maxwell and myself to arm wrestle over this one, unless somebody else Canadian like frbrown wants to step up. Appreciate the offer though!
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5931
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#2430

Post by albajos » November 25th, 2018, 11:57 am

Co-productions: Just say that canadian movies set in Canada count.
Only Canada-produced: anything goes
And of course everything in the official canadian list

Or do as I have in Nordic. Find a complete list of eligible titles

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3182
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#2431

Post by Fergenaprido » November 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm

sol wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 11:24 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 4:32 am
If it's just about setting up the thread and casual updates, I can host it. But I'm travelling a fair bit in December, and going home for the holidays, so daily and maybe even weekly updates are off the table.
Well, a lot would depend on how strict you are going to be with eligibility when it comes to co-productions. If you want to be as strict as you were when you ran the Canadian Poll, I think it would be unwise to host. It could be frustrating for participants to be told that their watches are ineligible several days after posting them. If, on the other hand, you're okay for us to make a mature decision about which co-productions should and should not count, hosting the thread with updates only once every few days should be okay. But is more likely to be 2-3 days or a whole week? Updates less often than once a week are not really ideal. It might be best for maxwell and myself to arm wrestle over this one, unless somebody else Canadian like frbrown wants to step up. Appreciate the offer though!
I don't feel the need to be strict in challenges. Someone watching something I wouldn't consider fitting might piss me off, but it doesn't really affect me. I can set clear guidelines from the start and go with that. I agree it's not fair to make things ineligible after someone's already watched.
With the way things are looking, it's likely to be a full week between updates, especially around Christmastime. Actually, it depends on what you mean by updates. If all I need to do during the challenge is update the totals for participants in the first post, I can probably do that every 3-4 days most of the month. If it's more stats and other updates, then I would really only be able to do that in January.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5931
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#2432

Post by albajos » November 25th, 2018, 6:32 pm

The amount of movies seen for these challenges do probably drop the last two weeks, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to update too often those days.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2433

Post by sol » November 26th, 2018, 10:42 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm
It depends on what you mean by updates. If all I need to do during the challenge is update the totals for participants in the first post, I can probably do that every 3-4 days most of the month. If it's more stats and other updates, then I would really only be able to do that in January.
Yes - all that I (and I assume others) would like you do to on a regular basis is update the totals for participants in the first post.

Extra stats are cool and fun, but as much I might like them, they are not something that I have been ever able to maintain throughout a single challenge myself - so it would be a bit hypocritical to expect detailed stats from others.

Regarding updating the leader-board positions, this is always something that maxwell and I can help you out with if you want - e.g. if you don't post a leaderboard update after 72 or 96 hours, we could jump in and post an update (as a reply; we can't edit OPs). I already did this with the Western Challenge this year and max and a few others did it with Horror this year after the Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Hosts.

The big question is whether you want to host the Canadian Challenge, or whether you feel like you'd only be doing it as a favour. Both max and myself are both okay to host even if it is not something that we are jumping up and down in anticipation of.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10493
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#2434

Post by funkybusiness » November 26th, 2018, 10:44 am

the Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Hosts
I sure hope this becomes a piece of forum lore.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3182
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#2435

Post by Fergenaprido » November 26th, 2018, 12:08 pm

sol wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 10:42 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm
It depends on what you mean by updates. If all I need to do during the challenge is update the totals for participants in the first post, I can probably do that every 3-4 days most of the month. If it's more stats and other updates, then I would really only be able to do that in January.
Yes - all that I (and I assume others) would like you do to on a regular basis is update the totals for participants in the first post.

Extra stats are cool and fun, but as much I might like them, they are not something that I have been ever able to maintain throughout a single challenge myself - so it would be a bit hypocritical to expect detailed stats from others.

Regarding updating the leader-board positions, this is always something that maxwell and I can help you out with if you want - e.g. if you don't post a leaderboard update after 72 or 96 hours, we could jump in and post an update (as a reply; we can't edit OPs). I already did this with the Western Challenge this year and max and a few others did it with Horror this year after the Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Hosts.

The big question is whether you want to host the Canadian Challenge, or whether you feel like you'd only be doing it as a favour. Both max and myself are both okay to host even if it is not something that we are jumping up and down in anticipation of.
I don't mind hosting. I can't remember the last time I hosted a challenge (probably the Queer one a few years ago), and you megachallengers deserve a break at the end of the year. As long as expectations are clear, I think we'll be fine.

I'll set up the thread tomorrow or Wednesday after I've gathered my sources. I'm off this weekend for a spartan race with a bunch of colleagues, so don't expect the first update until Monday night :D

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6623
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#2436

Post by maxwelldeux » November 30th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Idea I've been kicking around for a while (obviously, this would go into effect for 2020, as the 2019 schedule is finalized): Each time you host a challenge, you get to throw your name in a "hat". At the end of the year, we draw a name out of the hat, and that person gets to pick a theme challenge. So if you host one challenge, you have a 1/36 chance of picking the challenge. If you host ten challenges, you have a 10/36 chance.

The goal is to encourage people to host, and deciding on a theme challenge might be a good incentive.

Obviously there are details to work out, but I wanted to hear people's feedback. So... thoughts?

User avatar
wowwee123
Posts: 1311
Joined: Jun 11, 2011
Location: "Here's to watching shorts"
Contact:

#2437

Post by wowwee123 » December 5th, 2018, 4:20 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 9:08 pm
you get to throw your name in a "hat".
I'd like to choose the hat.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2438

Post by sol » December 5th, 2018, 10:29 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 9:08 pm
Idea I've been kicking around for a while (obviously, this would go into effect for 2020, as the 2019 schedule is finalized): Each time you host a challenge, you get to throw your name in a "hat". At the end of the year, we draw a name out of the hat, and that person gets to pick a theme challenge. So if you host one challenge, you have a 1/36 chance of picking the challenge. If you host ten challenges, you have a 10/36 chance.

The goal is to encourage people to host, and deciding on a theme challenge might be a good incentive.

Obviously there are details to work out, but I wanted to hear people's feedback. So... thoughts?
Er, I think that would swing the pendulum too far in the other direction. I mean, if we go down that path, I am going to insist on hosting all 36 Challenges myself. :folded:

I don't think we actually need incentives for more hosts, do we? I know this was a problem in 2017, but it has not been a problem this year. And I assume you're still up for hosting one challenge every month next year if necessary. I'm certainly on for that still.

EDIT: Just realised that you have stated that this is for Theme Challenges only. My reasoning still applies though. We need no extra incentives for hosting... and how would you feel if you hosted 24 Challenges and yet were not among the twelve drawn out of the hat?
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6623
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#2439

Post by maxwelldeux » December 5th, 2018, 7:20 pm

sol wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:29 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 9:08 pm
Idea I've been kicking around for a while (obviously, this would go into effect for 2020, as the 2019 schedule is finalized): Each time you host a challenge, you get to throw your name in a "hat". At the end of the year, we draw a name out of the hat, and that person gets to pick a theme challenge. So if you host one challenge, you have a 1/36 chance of picking the challenge. If you host ten challenges, you have a 10/36 chance.

The goal is to encourage people to host, and deciding on a theme challenge might be a good incentive.

Obviously there are details to work out, but I wanted to hear people's feedback. So... thoughts?
Er, I think that would swing the pendulum too far in the other direction. I mean, if we go down that path, I am going to insist on hosting all 36 Challenges myself. :folded:

I don't think we actually need incentives for more hosts, do we? I know this was a problem in 2017, but it has not been a problem this year. And I assume you're still up for hosting one challenge every month next year if necessary. I'm certainly on for that still.

EDIT: Just realised that you have stated that this is for Theme Challenges only. My reasoning still applies though. We need no extra incentives for hosting... and how would you feel if you hosted 24 Challenges and yet were not among the twelve drawn out of the hat?
I mean, it's not not been a problem (yes, the double "not" was purposeful). It's great that we've gotten hosts, but it's not like people are fighting for hosting duties and feeling left out.

And to be clear - I'm suggesting that 35/36 challenges for 2020 get chosen through the normal process. We just save one of the theme challenges for this lottery. And this year, I hosted 9 challenges, which would give me a 25% chance of "winning" this, so no, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Also to be clear - I'm not campaigning for this. It was an idea I had, and if there's not excitement for it, that's totally fine. B)

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6387
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#2440

Post by sol » December 25th, 2018, 8:08 am

Hope everyone is having a safe Christmas/seasonal break. :cheers:

With one week left to go, we should probably start discussing who wants to host the upcoming January challenges.

2019 Challenge Schedule
MonthCountry ChallengeGenre/Decade ChallengeTheme Challenge
January Russia/USSR Sci-Fi/Fantasy Rosenbaum Essentials


Russia/Soviet Union: funkybusiness has already expressed interest in hosting this one, but we should probably confirm if that's still on.

Regarding the remaining two Challenges, I'm on holidays until the end of January so I would be open to hosting one of them. Rosenbaum would interest me more than Fantasy/Sci-Fi since I'm more likely to make a go of that one, but I'm happy to be flexible if we have any eager folks out there who want to host the Rosenbaum Challenge themselves, or the Fantasy/Sci-Fi Challenge... or both! :blink:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Post Reply