Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), 1921 awards (Apr 3rd), Children (Apr 7th), 1932 (Apr 14th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Deadline for monty and filmbantha (Mar 30th)
Film of the Week: Una pura formalità

Future challenges

albajos

Re: Future challenges

Post by albajos » August 25th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Could always exclude TV-series unless they are official

Offical TV-series (not mini) that I know of
Twin Peaks
The Wire
Borgen
The Sopranos
Monty Python's Flying Circus

So if someone watches Monty Python's Flying Circus, it should count, but it is also the only comedy series I know of

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » August 25th, 2018, 10:01 pm

I’m fine with that as well. Even though I had plans to catch up on Shameless.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 26th, 2018, 2:01 am

albajos wrote:
August 25th, 2018, 7:10 pm
That might be a good fix for the 2019 Challenge Series. Of course, there are many Official Check individual episodes too, including one of the new entries in the They Shoot Zombies canon, which I might watch this October if it's permitted.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 26th, 2018, 2:27 am

albajos wrote:
August 25th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Offical TV-series (not mini) that I know of
Twin Peaks
The Wire
Borgen
The Sopranos
Monty Python's Flying Circus

So if someone watches Monty Python's Flying Circus, it should count, but it is also the only comedy series I know of
This would be what I'd probably do if I were hosting. I just really get tired of people abusing the TV rule just to win a challenge, totally defeating the whole point of these to expose yourself to new films you may have never experienced before.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 26th, 2018, 7:14 am

Or even discovering other tv-series than those few very famous official check ones.
If we would allow tv I would be for only alllowing tv-series (fictional or documentary) and not all other kind of tv-shows (game, sports, reality, talk shows, news etc). The hardest part of course would be to make this distinction when unfamiliar with the show.
The rules could be set just like mini-series: one episode of 40+ min or a total of 40 min is a point.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » August 26th, 2018, 9:59 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 7:14 am
alllowing tv-series (fictional or documentary) and not all other kind of tv-shows (game, sports, reality, talk shows, news etc). The hardest part of course would be to make this distinction when unfamiliar with the show.
The rules could be set just like mini-series: one episode of 40+ min or a total of 40 min is a point.
This with 20 TV points max by poster has my preference.

And for the the Silent Era, I would be for a date approach (everything up to 1929, silent or not). I assume there could be a 30s challenge at some point and it could be interesting to open the Silent Era challenge to the first talkies.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

albajos

Post by albajos » August 26th, 2018, 10:06 am

Silent is a syle choice.(Just lik musical is a style choice) We have held 1920s and 1910s and earlier challenges before and those do exactly what you want.

To limit it to 1929 and before is also extremely US-centric and nothing I want to be part of.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 26th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Does standup specials count as TV? Would they count in the "comedy" challenge? What about a tv show that are episodes of standup?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 26th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Great points on TV and we'll keep these in mind when we start talking about 2019 rules (soon? I forgot your tentative schedule, sol). But for the Comedy challenge, TV series are out.

@bbb: Stand-up specials are included in the Comedy challenge (they're not continuing series). Regarding the second half of your question, ask it when I open the challenge thread, and we'll discuss.

albajos

Post by albajos » August 26th, 2018, 6:46 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 6:19 pm
But for the Comedy challenge, TV series are out.
Even Monty Python's Flying Circus? It is a official check

--

You mustn't let these challenges turn into - "someone had decided that...". Usually clarification of the rules has always been done in the challenge itself in the 2-3 days before it starts. So that it still stays democratic by those who actually participate. I have never seen anyone complain about the TV rule in the challenges themselves.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 26th, 2018, 7:10 pm

albajos wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 6:46 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:

--

You mustn't let these challenges turn into - "someone had decided that...". Usually clarification of the rules has always been done in the challenge itself in the 2-3 days before it starts. So that it still stays democratic by those who actually participate. I have never seen anyone complain about the TV rule in the challenges themselves.
You're welcome to host it then. But I'm burnt out after the <400 challenge, and I have zero intention of looking up shows to see if they're official or not. And I was serious when I said it was all or none on TV if I'm hosting the Comedy challenge; the "exception for official checks" was not an option I'm willing to do next month.

That said, when I post the challenge, there will still be time to discuss the specifics, get clarification, and even allow/disallow TV. But I asked about TV here because I need to put something in the OP, and I'd rather the something be as close to what we're going to go with as possible.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 26th, 2018, 9:05 pm

No problem excluding TV from the silent era. ;)
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 26th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 9:05 pm
No problem excluding TV from the silent era. ;)
I was wondering about that - thanks for the clarification.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 27th, 2018, 3:24 am

albajos wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 6:46 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:

--

One has to ask oneself, "Do I HAVE to watch Monty Python's Flying Circus next month?" If the answer is yes, then watch it regardless of challenge rules. I look at the challenge as a way to inform my viewing habits, not control them completely. If I see something I want to watch, I watch it regardless of the challenges that month.

Also, I have indeed complained about the TV rule in the challenges themselves. After the top two people in the Chinese challenge of all things dominate it by watching almost exclusively TV (#1 watch less than 20 actual movies the entire month and much of the TV they watched were reality shows), I really think it's got to be limited or eliminated. And btw, no knock on the people who won. They played according to the rules set forth. I'm just saying the current rules are really bad and defeat the point of the challenges.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » August 27th, 2018, 4:45 am

Honestly, as a participant, I don't really care if TV series are included or not except in the Horror challenge, there's a few shows I'd like to include in my viewing for October (Slasher, Castle Rock, American Horror Story) so maybe just keep TV for particular challenges where it'd be easier to deal with.

albajos

Post by albajos » August 27th, 2018, 10:17 am

I'll host comedy then.

And I'll do 1 point for an entire series. (I really want to do that regardless if it's mini or full, but maybe we shouldn't get too extreme :p )

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 27th, 2018, 10:34 am

VincentPrice wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 4:45 am
Honestly, as a participant, I don't really care if TV series are included or not except in the Horror challenge, there's a few shows I'd like to include in my viewing for October (Slasher, Castle Rock, American Horror Story) so maybe just keep TV for particular challenges where it'd be easier to deal with.
If I'm to host the horror challenge, I will be extremely welcoming, and will accept TV Series at the same value as before. I understand the need to try and define what fits in and what doesn't, but this isn't how I enjoy these challenges. My fun comes from the collective movement of 10 to 30 people sharing time in front of similar-themed films (or series). I definitely don't want to spend time or energy on a debate on what fits in or doesn't.
On a personal approach, if I included a TV series in my watchlist, I would watch it, whether it is counted in or not by the host. I'm on the libertarian side of this forum... :party:

albajos

Post by albajos » August 27th, 2018, 10:53 am

By the way. If we go this way by only giving TV 1 point etc, we might consider doing an official TV challenge next year so those who really want to see TV stuff in challenges can do it there.

There have been two unofficial ones, one is the highest scoring challenge of all time with 462 points. (but that challenge had 1 point/30 min, so with regular rules closer to 250 probably) So I think people will see more than enough for the rest of the year in that one.

vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer » August 27th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Couldn’t points for tv shows be done the same way as shorts where say 120 minutes of tv episodes are 1 point?

frbrown

Post by frbrown » August 27th, 2018, 5:00 pm

psychotronicbeatnik wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 8:35 pm
Rather than assigning some random point system to TV episodes and shorts (ie 60 minutes = 1 point, or 90 minutes = one point), maybe it's time to have a revolution and switch from points to minutes. That works well for a variety of reasons - it allows the watching of both longer films and shorter ones with no penalty or advantage since one minute watched essentially equals one point. And for TV and shorts it eliminates the messiness of having to collect them until they equal 60 minutes, 90 minutes, whatever. Hosts could still say no TV series episodes or no shorts or whatever guidelines they want to set but everything would be computed by minutes.

I've hosted challenges like this on two other websites (Trash Epics and The Horror Board) and after those participants who were initially reluctant got used to it everyone seemed to embrace and even prefer it.

Scoring would look something like this:
1. The Alphabet (1968) David Lynch {4 minutes}
2. Dune (1984) Lynch {137 min.}
3. Twin Peaks: Part 1 (2017) Lynch {59 minutes}
Total: 200 minutes

Another bonus of this system occurs if you wanted to watch the Alan Smithee extended version of Dune instead of the Lynch original, then the minutes for that would be 189. In fact this film exists in a 176 minute edition also. This way you actually get credit for what you watch since one minute = one minute. With the proliferation of Special Editions and Director's Cuts, this would really be the fairest, easiest and most accurate way to compete.

How do people feel about this idea?

Of course, the host couldn't do it - every participant would have to keep track of his/her own total. Too much work, perhaps?

I'd be interested in giving it a try, and seeing how it goes.

Also, Max, would this method complicate your yearly and all-time leaderboards, or no?

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 27th, 2018, 6:27 pm

O goody, I could watch Revenge of the Toilet (5-minute film my son made at age 11 or so) and say I'd participated in the horror challenge.
'
Fr, the last word in your post says to me what's wrong with the idea: compete. Sure, the challenges have always had winners and now have a plethora of prizes, but competition isn't the primary goal, say I - it's to vary and focus one's viewing, expand one's horizons, and like that.

sorry, but :down:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 27th, 2018, 8:54 pm

albajos wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 10:17 am
I'll host comedy then.

And I'll do 1 point for an entire series. (I really want to do that regardless if it's mini or full, but maybe we shouldn't get too extreme :p )
Sold - thanks for taking that on! :cheers:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 27th, 2018, 9:04 pm

frbrown wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 5:00 pm
Also, Max, would this method complicate your yearly and all-time leaderboards, or no?
The all-time leaderboard is based on rankings and number of participants and would largely be unaffected, save for the fact that we'd be a) mixing apples and oranges in terms of how rankings are calculated, and b) I'd have to drop the total number of watches from the leaderboard.

For the yearly challenge series, a few of the awards are based on watch counts, but with some thought could be adapted. X/X would be the hardest, but could be done. A switch couldn't happen mid-year, though.

And don't forget about albajos' project on the all-time standings - that's based on watch count entirely.

And if you want to give this challenge method a try, start an interesting unofficial challenge and use this scoring. I'd participate to test it out.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 23rd, 2018, 6:07 am

Well, it's just about that time again, so let's talk about October challenges. Next month, the challenges are:
  • Iberian Countries
  • Horror
  • LGBTQ+
Personally, as always, I'm happy to host any of them. But I'm quite drawn to the LGBTQ+ challenge and would like to host that, including creating a list of everyone we collectively watch for that challenge; however, I'd be thrilled to let someone who identifies as LGBTQ+ host the challenge.

So who is interested/willing/able to host?

albajos

Post by albajos » September 23rd, 2018, 6:24 am

I could host LGBTQ+ but I really don't want to fight the battles over if a movie is LGBTQ+ or not. There are so many movies where homosexuality are used only as a joke and there isn't really any point in counting those. But can clearly state that in the OP.

Also I nominated this challenge, so maybe I should host
But I'm the + in the LGBTQ+ (and we don't have any movies) so if someone in the "main" spectrum rather want to I can move over

Also I would allow TV if I am to hosting. For example asexuality is only in one show or movie right now: BoJack Horseman. So removing TV would only leave documentaries for that part of the spectrum. (But probably one point per season, or else Will & Grace would kill this)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 23rd, 2018, 6:46 am

albajos wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 6:24 am
I could host LGBTQ+ but I really don't want to fight the battles over if a movie is LGBTQ+ or not. There are so many movies where homosexuality are used only as a joke and there isn't really any point in counting those. But can clearly state that in the OP.

Also I nominated this challenge, so maybe I should host
But I'm the + in the LGBTQ+ (and we don't have any movies) so if someone in the "main" spectrum rather want to I can move over

Also I would allow TV if I am to hosting. For example asexuality is only in one show or movie right now: BoJack Horseman. So removing TV would only leave documentaries for that part of the spectrum. (But probably one point per season, or else Will & Grace would kill this)
A few things from this response:
- If you want to host it, please feel welcome to - I'm happy to move to one of the other two.
- I didn't really want to fight battles over LGBTQ+ or not either - my plan was to post general definition of what LGBTQ+ cinema is and a requirement of "be willing to justify it", and pretty much just accept what came through, assuming it was even remotely reasonable.
- I'd also allow TV, but no restrictions - there's a lack of quality LGBTQ+ TV/cinema, and I'd welcome anything just to get people to focus on thinking about LGBTQ+ issues. Maybe someone could win by watching EVERY episode of Will and Grace, but even so, I'm OK with that. To me, the purpose is to focus on and think about LGBTQ+ issues - if people can do that by watching some TV series, that's awesome.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » September 23rd, 2018, 11:19 am

Not related to hosting. I watched Love, Simon last week and really really liked it

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 23rd, 2018, 12:24 pm

I agree that it would nice to have someone who identifies as LGBTIQ+ host that Challenge.

I am not keen on hosting Horror since it's going to be a busy challenge and it's going to be an intense time work-wise for me from the second week of October onwards.

Actually, I nominate cinephage to host the Horror Challenge again since he did such a fantastic job last time with daily news updates (quite a bit of work involved in that). :poshclap:

That leaves the Portugal/Spain/Catalonia (Iberia) Challenge, which at a pinch I *could* host, but I'm not up to contending with the whining and moaning over films being (in)eligible, so if I do host it, I will leave it up to individual users to decide what is eligible for themselves.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » September 23rd, 2018, 1:08 pm

I will host the Nordic one in november by the way, if the other crazy northeners on the forum didn't have big plans for it.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 23rd, 2018, 1:10 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 6:07 am
I'm quite drawn to the LGBTQ+ challenge and would like to host that, including creating a list of everyone we collectively watch for that challenge ....
The ICM Forum is watching you....

I might as well say here that I have a little list but don't plan to work very hard on any of the challenges this month.

te18

Post by te18 » September 23rd, 2018, 1:50 pm

sol wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 12:24 pm
Actually, I nominate cinephage to host the Horror Challenge again since he did such a fantastic job last time with daily news updates (quite a bit of work involved in that). :poshclap:
Hopefully this happens because he did a sensational job indeed.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 23rd, 2018, 5:29 pm

If albajos takes LGBTQ+, I'm happy to take Iberia, which leaves Horror and (cinephage?)...

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » September 24th, 2018, 7:34 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:29 pm
If albajos takes LGBTQ+, I'm happy to take Iberia, which leaves Horror and (cinephage?)...
Sure, I would love to host it !!

I'm less into films than usual at the moment (which is a very rare occurence, the last time was 15 years ago), and I'm flying to Hollywood for work at the end of the month, but I'll try and host it, it's always such a great moment of fun (unless Lauren wants it back, I still think of this challenge as hers, as it was when I joined in).

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 24th, 2018, 7:49 am

cinephage wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:34 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:29 pm
Sure, I would love to host it !!
:worship: B)
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 30th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Anybody heard from cinephage? No activity for a couple of days. Should we be sending him a private message to check if he's still up for hosting?
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 30th, 2018, 5:00 pm

sol wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Anybody heard from cinephage? No activity for a couple of days. Should we be sending him a private message to check if he's still up for hosting?
Not a bad idea - maybe that work trip to Hollywood was the end of Sept?

te18

Post by te18 » September 30th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Probably worth someone else just taking the reins now as the challenge will have begun for some people, presuming the challenge is again starting at Dusk September 30.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 30th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Agree with all of that - has anyone PM'd Cinephage?

Of course we could all try to remember what we'd watched until the topic appears....

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » September 30th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Wasn't he going through some tough times too? I'd say someone shoukd take over

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 30th, 2018, 7:38 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Wasn't he going through some tough times too?
Indeed. Don't know if that explains his absence, but indeed he went through some tough times the last few weeks.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"