Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Absences répétées, August nominations (Jul 26th)

Future challenges

72allinncallme
Donator

Re: Future challenges

Post by 72allinncallme » July 21st, 2018, 10:12 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 10:06 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 9:55 pm
I can host the 90’-2010s challenge as promised, but I’m on holiday the first half of the month so I (probably) wont be updating the scores as often as I used to (sorry sol ;) ) What should the challenge be called :mw_confused:
The Dog Days of Summer, The 90s+ Challenge!! (Celsius fans hate it!!)TM
Yep, Water freeze when it’s 0 degrees and it boils when it’s hundred. 32 and 212 makes no sense whatsoever :facepalm:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm

IIRC, OldAle volunteered to host the Middle East challenge, so we'll give him a few days to see if he's still interested.

For the 90s etc. challenge, since it's 2018, I want to say there's something with "28 Years Later" or something there, but my brain is not firing on all cylinders right now. And I'd be happy if you hosted - I'll even offer to post updated standings periodically until you're back. And for this challenge, it's up to you as host, but I'd suggest disallowing individual episodes, since the challenge covers current TV, and it (to me) goes against the spirit of the challenge to include random episodes that have nothing to do expanding your horizons. For example, do you really want me counting every single Food Network show I watch when I'm high? Just a thought, of course...

And I'd be happy to host the <400 challenge. And I'm happy to run the side challenge. And I'm planning on disallowing individual episodes in that challenge, too, for pretty much the same reasons.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 21st, 2018, 11:47 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 10:12 pm
Yep, Water freeze when it’s 0 degrees and it boils when it’s hundred. 32 and 212 makes no sense whatsoever :facepalm:
Just to defend Fahrenheit slightly, 0 = where salt water freezes, and 100 = body temperature. He was, of course, wrong, but that was the original thought. And it's only slightly less arbitrary than the new Maxwelldeux Temperature Scale (patent pending), where 0 = the air temp at which I have to put on a jacket, and 100 = the air temp at which I begin sweating without physical exertion. Though the math is being refined, the approximate conversions are 0 degrees M = -2 degrees C, and 100 degrees M = 30 degrees C.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 22nd, 2018, 2:18 am

I'm always available to host an additional challenge if you need me to, but I'm going to be way too busy in August to host an additional challenge within or provide stats or whatnot. Might be less busy in September.

Regarding TV episodes - yes, I agree excluding them from the 1990s + 21st Century Challenge (why can't we just call the challenge that?), as well as excluding them from the <400 Checks Challenge, makes sense. Somewhere down the line, we should probably look at the role of TV episodes within the entire Challenge spectrum. They do, I think, I have a place, certainly with some of the more niche genres (westerns) and less common countries, but we could discuss whether to permit them for some Challenges, but not others, or whether to increase the 60mins to something higher when including episodes, or whether whole seasons should be one or two checks, but I think that's something to sort out for 2019 rather than attempting to introduce a fix this late into the Challenge Olympics.

For what it's worth, this is the schedule that I am thinking about working on in terms of setting up the 2019 Challenge Schedule (unless somebody else desperately wants to set it up instead this year):

- September - open a separate thread to discussion challenge ideas for 2019, how many options we should be able to vote for in the polls, should some challenges be permanent, etc.
- October - open up a poll (or polls) to vote for 2019 Challenge options, based on those discussed in the September thread (I'll need to talk to Peaceful about expanding poll options)
- November - open a thread to discuss tabling the Challenges (which to run in which month) - last year this didn't take the whole month to do, but I think we should allow the extra time
- December - open a thread to discuss any rule changes, ideas, feedback on maxwell's bonus challenges or whatnot (a good time at which to discuss the TV episode quagmire)
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » July 22nd, 2018, 2:44 am

For what it's worth, I'm kind of in favour of generally disallowing TV series across the challenges unless there is a particularly special reason why episodes should be considered ''cinematically relevant''.

I like the look of that schedule outline, sol. You are really proactive in organising and arranging things!
That's all, folks!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 22nd, 2018, 4:10 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 11:47 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
Just to defend Fahrenheit slightly, 0 = where salt water freezes,
Except it doesn't. For saturated saltwater (23.3% salinity) the freezing point is -5.98F. For un-saturated saltwater the freezing happens over a range of temperatures, not all at one exact temperature, unlike pure water.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 22nd, 2018, 4:51 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 4:10 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 11:47 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
Just to defend Fahrenheit slightly, 0 = where salt water freezes,
Except it doesn't. For saturated saltwater (23.3% salinity) the freezing point is -5.98F. For un-saturated saltwater the freezing happens over a range of temperatures, not all at one exact temperature, unlike pure water.
And the average human body core temperature is 98.6, and there is individual variability in that. I'm not saying it's a good system. Or that it's accurate. Or that anyone should use it. Just that the Fahrenheit system was less arbitrary than "I drew two numbers out of a hat - the low one is freezing, and the high one is boiling..."

PS: My memory on the details was off, but it was pretty close: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 22nd, 2018, 5:20 am

sol wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 2:18 am
For what it's worth, this is the schedule that I am thinking about working on in terms of setting up the 2019 Challenge Schedule (unless somebody else desperately wants to set it up instead this year):

- September - open a separate thread to discussion challenge ideas for 2019, how many options we should be able to vote for in the polls, should some challenges be permanent, etc.
- October - open up a poll (or polls) to vote for 2019 Challenge options, based on those discussed in the September thread (I'll need to talk to Peaceful about expanding poll options)
- November - open a thread to discuss tabling the Challenges (which to run in which month) - last year this didn't take the whole month to do, but I think we should allow the extra time
- December - open a thread to discuss any rule changes, ideas, feedback on maxwell's bonus challenges or whatnot (a good time at which to discuss the TV episode quagmire)
Like the schedule, makes a lot of sense. A few tweaks:

- Start with a snap poll of "Should some challenges be permanent? Yes/No". Let's answer that early, because if the answer is yes (and my gut says it would trend that way), so we have more time to discuss which challenges...
- I'd like to start getting feedback on the challenge series awards in Oct - the last new award/level (before the final ones in Jan) will come out then, plus I think that's the month when I can guarantee no one will hit the max X/X level. And starting it early will give me a chance to get them programmed in my spreadsheet and run out a couple tests for y'all.
- Another topic to discuss early on is whether to combine options voted for. Like I believe we voted Australia and New Zealand separately, but we then combined them for the challenges, but then we complained during the challenge that they were combined.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » July 22nd, 2018, 7:18 am

maxwelldeux wrote:And for this challenge, it's up to you as host, but I'd suggest disallowing individual episodes, since the challenge covers current TV, and it (to me) goes against the spirit of the challenge to include random episodes that have nothing to do expanding your horizons. For example, do you really want me counting every single Food Network show I watch when I'm high? Just a thought, of course...
Hmm, I see your point, but:

A, I have allowed TV-series in the other decade challenges, so for continuity...

B, This is the decades where TV-series got a serious boost in both quality and status.

C, And this is the most important point: The host has yet to see Westworld season two and there will be some new episodes of Better Call Saul coming out...

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 22nd, 2018, 7:23 am

I would hope there's a clear distinction between things like Westworld, Twin Peaks, Brideshead Revisited, Sagan's Cosmos, Berlin Alexanderplatz on the one hand, and random morning talk shows, chinese reality shows or maxwell's cooking competitions and users would have the discretion to know what to count for challenges.

but what do I know

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » July 22nd, 2018, 8:12 am

u wot m8, ur next on ramsay’s menu

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 22nd, 2018, 8:14 am

UK TV Ramsay or US TV Ramsay?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » July 22nd, 2018, 8:20 am

uk m8

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 22nd, 2018, 8:26 am

shit

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 22nd, 2018, 12:46 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 2:44 am
For what it's worth, I'm kind of in favour of generally disallowing TV series across the challenges unless there is a particularly special reason why episodes should be considered ''cinematically relevant''.

I like the look of that schedule outline, sol. You are really proactive in organising and arranging things!
Thanks, Roger - and I too would prefer if TV series were disallowed altogether. It is a tricky area though, since miniseries have always been allowed, and the fine line between TV series and miniseries is sometimes blurry. Then there is the fact that several dozen TV series and individual episodes have Official status on iCM. One of the Sundance winners in fact a TV episode according to IMDb. But certainly we could look at different ways to include TV episodes for 2019. I mean, I don't think the Challenges should promote binge watching of sitcoms or reality TV.
maxwelldeux wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 5:20 am
Like the schedule, makes a lot of sense. A few tweaks:

- Start with a snap poll of "Should some challenges be permanent? Yes/No". Let's answer that early, because if the answer is yes (and my gut says it would trend that way), so we have more time to discuss which challenges...
- I'd like to start getting feedback on the challenge series awards in Oct - the last new award/level (before the final ones in Jan) will come out then, plus I think that's the month when I can guarantee no one will hit the max X/X level. And starting it early will give me a chance to get them programmed in my spreadsheet and run out a couple tests for y'all.
- Another topic to discuss early on is whether to combine options voted for. Like I believe we voted Australia and New Zealand separately, but we then combined them for the challenges, but then we complained during the challenge that they were combined.
Yes, I could launch some polls at the same time and link them on the OP of the Discussion thread. I likewise think the response to permanency would be an overwhelming 'yes', but that there would be A LOT of disagreement in terms of what should or should not be, which may just make it easier to put everything up to vote. I dunno. Would be curious to hear what everyone has to say.

I'll also do a poll about Combining Options. Choices would be along the lines of "never combine", "only combine to break ties" (this is ultimately why we include AU + NZ together), "always combine", etc.... sounds a lot like those Windows 10 options for displaying windows open. And I'm a never combine person on that. :ph43r:
72allinncallme wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 7:18 am
maxwelldeux wrote:And for this challenge, it's up to you as host, but I'd suggest disallowing individual episodes, since the challenge covers current TV, and it (to me) goes against the spirit of the challenge to include random episodes that have nothing to do expanding your horizons. For example, do you really want me counting every single Food Network show I watch when I'm high? Just a thought, of course...
Hmm, I see your point, but:

A, I have allowed TV-series in the other decade challenges, so for continuity...

B, This is the decades where TV-series got a serious boost in both quality and status.

C, And this is the most important point: The host has yet to see Westworld season two and there will be some new episodes of Better Call Saul coming out...
On principle, I would inclined to exclude my TV viewings for the 1990s + 21st Cent Challenge (much like how I didn't include random South Park and Family Guy reruns that I rewatched during the Animation Challenge). It would, however, be foolish for me to exclude them though next month if everyone else is including them. I mean, unless I want to finish last in the Challenge Olympics. What about music videos? I watch heaps (I often have the music channels in the background while I browse the forum, and I am sorta watching music clips right now) and if you aren't excluding those, I could break mighty's record of 300 or so points in a single challenge without even trying...
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » July 22nd, 2018, 12:53 pm

With you totally when you say that you ''don't think the Challenges should promote binge watching of sitcoms or reality TV''. Perfectly sums up my stance.
That's all, folks!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » July 22nd, 2018, 1:01 pm

I'd propose two changes:
1. Extend the 60 minute rule on shorts to TV episodes as well
2. Put a cap on the total # of points TV shows can constitute (like TV shows can't be more than 15 points of your overall count or something to that effect)

I've just become incredibly disheartened lately seeing that SEVERAL of the people in the top five of multiple challenges lately have been watching predominantly TV shows (in that like 80% to 90% of their viewing is comprised of 40 minute episodes of things) which defeats the entire point of these challenges (unless this is the iCheckTV forum and I've wandered into the wrong place...).

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » July 22nd, 2018, 1:29 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 1:01 pm
2. Put a cap on the total # of points TV shows can constitute (like TV shows can't be more than 15 points of your overall count or something to that effect)

I've just become incredibly disheartened lately seeing that SEVERAL of the people in the top five of multiple challenges lately have been watching predominantly TV shows (in that like 80% to 90% of their viewing is comprised of 40 minute episodes of things) which defeats the entire point of these challenges (unless this is the iCheckTV forum and I've wandered into the wrong place...).
Agree, a few of us made a similar proposal one month ago, a max number of TV series per poster. I could live with 20 max without the 60mins aggregation, you need 100+ watching to win anything these days anyway.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 22nd, 2018, 2:11 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 1:01 pm
I'd propose two changes:
1. Extend the 60 minute rule on shorts to TV episodes as well

Heh. I'm hoping to achieve level 15 overall but it's a long shot. Guess if I were a TV watcher it'd be a piece of cake.

I don't know if anyone has pointed out (maybe because it's a Duh thing) that the scoring setup favors watching shorter movies. I certainly take length into account when deciding what to watch. Not that I think we should try to fix this - I accept it as a tradeoff for Max's superb work in allowing us to view the challenges as a forest, not just trees.

Anyway, for now the hosts have the power to disallow TV episodes in their own challenges. Anyone who doesn't is an enabler. Grow a spine, Congress! (Oops, wrong thread.)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » July 22nd, 2018, 2:20 pm

I didn't even know TV Episodes were allowed until just now. I should really pay more attention :)

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » July 22nd, 2018, 8:11 pm

sol wrote:What about music videos?
I have never included music videos in the challenges I’ve hosted, you on the other hand :whistling:

Roger wrote:With you totally when you say that you ''don't think the Challenges should promote binge watching of sitcoms or reality TV''. Perfectly sums up my stance.
And me three.

I’m still not going to exclude TV-series in the next month challenge, though I might tweak the rules a bit.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

I'm really surprised there isn't an ongoing backlog challenge

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 23rd, 2018, 3:37 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm
Oh, but there is: viewtopic.php?p=424371

Edit: Now I see it was for 2017. Feel free to start another one, or I can if you like.

Of course, we could think about having an official challenge for watching all the stuff from the previous challenges that we didn't get around to, and you get a point for every one of the previous challenges that a film fits. Think of all the new awards Max could invent!
Last edited by 3eyes on July 23rd, 2018, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 23rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

3eyes wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 3:37 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm
Oh, but there is: viewtopic.php?p=424371
:woot: perfect

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 27th, 2018, 2:06 am

So, I just got a PM from OldAle1 that he's unable to host the Middle East challenge next month. Would anyone be willing to take that on?

Current status:
1990-2010s: 72allinncallme (thread even started - kudos!)
<400: the devastatingly handsome maxwelldeux
Middle East: ?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 27th, 2018, 10:44 am

I can host the Middle East Challenge, but (due to time issues next month):

- I won't be able to provide any detailed fun stats or country breakdown afterwards
- I won't be able to double check whether film are really Middle Eastern or not
- I won't be watching more than one or two qualifying films (if that)

However, even if I am short on time next month...

- I will be able to keep the leader board updated on a daily basis. :)

Let me know if you guys want me to step in. Not my first choice of Challenge to host, but I am always willing to do what I can to keep the Challenge series chugging along.
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 28th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Just a quick bump to this thread to see if anyone wants to jump in ahead of sol to host the Middle East challenge...

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 29th, 2018, 1:03 pm

My plan is to start the Middle Eastern Challenge thread in around 24 hours from now. So, if anybody else desperately wants to host, you have until this time tomorrow to jump in. ;)
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 29th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I wish I could help, but I've reached my level of incompetence.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 29th, 2018, 4:28 pm

sol wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 1:03 pm
My plan is to start the Middle Eastern Challenge thread in around 24 hours from now. So, if anybody else desperately wants to host, you have until this time tomorrow to jump in. ;)
:thumbsup: Thanks, sol!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 24th, 2018, 10:16 am

So, with a week until the end of August, it might be time to discuss hosts for next month's Challenges:

Germany
Comedy
Silent Era

A couple of points from me:

1. Can we get some sort of common sense rule from whoever hosts the Comedy Challenge regarding TV episodes? In the August Challenges, each of us hosts have tried something different: capping TV points at 20; raising the threshold for 1 point of TV episodes to 120 minutes; banning TV episodes altogether. I think one of these rules (or something along these lines) should apply for the Comedy Challenge.

2. What is the general rule about the Silent Era? Something like City Lights was made during the early days of the Sound Era, and then there's something like Modern Times where only the machines make sound effects.

Personally speaking, I'm at the end of my tether as far as Challenge hosting goes. I have hosted eight Challenges over the past 16 months and for the first time ever, I have had to ban a participant for being disrespectful and refusing to number his ballot conventionally. Hosting is a time consuming job, and something that I don't always do with enthusiasm (sometimes there is simply nobody else willing to host) and gee, when participants cannot play properly and when they try to do whatever they can to pick a fight with you, it is absolutely draining.

That said, I am still as always dedicated to keep the Challenge series plugging along, so I guess I will grit my teeth and put up with the whining if you guys require my services as host again in September.
Image Image Image

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 24th, 2018, 10:57 am

I imagine the "Silent Era" was picked so as to be a part of the decades series of challenges (because apparently we had to have one of each three "types" of challenges every month), but we've always done just "silent films" before, so it was never an issue. If one is to place a cap on an "era" of silent film production, it has to be done country by country, as some countries (such as US and UK) jumped on sound production immediately, while others lagged far behind (Japan was well into the '30s before sound films became "normal", and for the better part of the decade sound and silent film production was pretty mixed, like b&w and color films out of hollywood in the middle part of the 20th century). If you go by wikipedia standards (and why would you, but whatever), the "silent era" is 1894 to 1929, but this is, as always, extremely biased towards hollywood production.

And of course all of this is talking about studio productions. In the experimental/avant-garde world, non-sound films are still quite common even today and the non-use of sound has been a fruitful theoretical topic since the introduction of sound (or, as Bresson put it, since the invention of silence).

But ultimately, who cares, because whoever ends up running the topic is just going to do whatever the fuck they want anyway

albajos

Post by albajos » August 24th, 2018, 11:22 am

With text in between shots it's clearly a silent movie and they still make those. Like The Artist or Blancanieves.

Personally I don't allow any diegetic sounds. Either just a 100% music track, or some effect sounds (in case of animation). The only point is that that nothing was recorded on set.

Most of the movies tagged Silent on imdb are tagged correctly, so it is just to allow that, just as we would allow all that is tagged Comedy.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 24th, 2018, 10:08 pm

I'm happy to host any of them, though without weekly stats/side challenges (I'm a little burnt out on that at the moment).I'm not really drawn to any of them, so I'll let others pick first.

From a user perspective, I don't like having to track things differently for different challenges, though that's not a huge burden. From a host perspective, I don't want multiple sets of rules I have to keep track of (keeping track of TV watches is a pain), nor do I want to have to repeatedly ask for clarifications on whether something is TV, miniseries, or short. For example, if I host the comedy challenge, the only options I'd be willing to do as host are to allow TV with the normal 40/60 rule, or disallow TV.

On silents, I'm relatively ambivalent.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » August 24th, 2018, 10:29 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 10:08 pm
(keeping track of TV watches is a pain)
You don’t have to do it anymore for the 90+ challenge, btw, forgot to tell you tehe . I’m up to date there now. Seems like the kids behaved themselfs reasonably well there so :P

I’m not up for hosting next month, but I’m sure there are plenty of others who wants.

Re TV: Dump it.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 25th, 2018, 1:47 am

sol wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 10:16 am
So, with a week until the end of August, it might be time to discuss hosts for next month's Challenges:

Germany
Comedy
Silent Era

A couple of points from me:

1. Can we get some sort of common sense rule from whoever hosts the Comedy Challenge regarding TV episodes? In the August Challenges, each of us hosts have tried something different: capping TV points at 20; raising the threshold for 1 point of TV episodes to 120 minutes; banning TV episodes altogether. I think one of these rules (or something along these lines) should apply for the Comedy Challenge.

2. What is the general rule about the Silent Era? Something like City Lights was made during the early days of the Sound Era, and then there's something like Modern Times where only the machines make sound effects.

Personally speaking, I'm at the end of my tether as far as Challenge hosting goes. I have hosted eight Challenges over the past 16 months and for the first time ever, I have had to ban a participant for being disrespectful and refusing to number his ballot conventionally. Hosting is a time consuming job, and something that I don't always do with enthusiasm (sometimes there is simply nobody else willing to host) and gee, when participants cannot play properly and when they try to do whatever they can to pick a fight with you, it is absolutely draining.

That said, I am still as always dedicated to keep the Challenge series plugging along, so I guess I will grit my teeth and put up with the whining if you guys require my services as host again in September.
1. We've always left that to the host, but if people want a more general rule I'm sure we can come up with a default set of rules that can then be strayed from if the host feels like it...? I once hosted an unofficial TV Challenge where we counted 1 point for every 10 minutes (going by IMDb runtimes) or 1 point per episode if it was less than 10 minutes (or something like that). It was a crazy challenge, I think mjf314 found this long-running anime show that was only 3-4 minutes per episode (so 1 point). Crazy, but fun too.

2. Generally this has been a silent film challenge with films from the silent era (so The Artist or Blancanieves wouldn't qualify), with suitable flexibility for different countries (notably Japan, since they stuck with silents longer than most).

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with a participant. We usually don't have problems with that kind of thing, so I'm surprised to learn about it. Take a break. Don't burn out we want you to stick around and enjoy it here, it's no fun if it's a chore.

I'm up for hosting next month. I'd prefer the German or Silent Challenge, but I'll cover any of them that needs a host.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 25th, 2018, 1:51 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 10:08 pm
I'm happy to host any of them, though without weekly stats/side challenges (I'm a little burnt out on that at the moment).I'm not really drawn to any of them, so I'll let others pick first.
No wonder! The amount of work it must take to run all of those stats just boggles the mind! I appreciate it, sure do, but I don't get where you find the time for that.

When I host, I'll do an update every day, maybe every other day. Maybe once a week, if I'm busy. Other than that, people will have to keep track themselves. The contenders will know where they're at so I'm not too worried about that.
ImageImageImageImage

klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 » August 25th, 2018, 8:09 am

I can host the German challenge if noone else wants to.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 25th, 2018, 10:45 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
August 25th, 2018, 1:47 am
Take a break. Don't burn out we want you to stick around and enjoy it here, it's no fun if it's a chore.

I'm up for hosting next month. I'd prefer the German or Silent Challenge, but I'll cover any of them that needs a host.
Thanks for that; I'll sit the month out from hosting since it seems like we have at least three potential hosts now:

Germany - klaus78 (or anyone else who wants to step in)
Silents - Knaldskalle (or anyone else who wants to step in)
Comedy - maxwelldeux (or anyone else who wants to step in)

Regarding the TV episode debacle, it is something that 72a, maxwell, myself and others want to sort out before the 2019 Challenge Olympics begin. It is probably too late to put in any overarching rules for the rest of the year given that TV has been allowed in most of the 2018 rounds so far. The tricky thing is that there are several dozen TV episodes and whole television series that are Official Checks, so it seems wise to allow them in some form, but exactly how is still up for debate. Maybe in a dedicated TV challenge with slightly different rules as you've mentioned.
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 25th, 2018, 6:18 pm

OK. I'm happy to take Comedy. I'm planning to exclude TV episodes, mostly because I'm in an odd anti-narrative-movie funk right now and don't want to count every single stupid comedy series I rewatch for the nth time. So unless someone wants to argue strongly to include TV in the Comedy challenge (in which case, we can do a poll or something), it's not going to be included.