Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Future challenges

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:36 pm The only BC I was thinking about was about that Scorsese recoms to Wright list.
The one BC that I was thinking of (when I thought that I would end up hosting) was simply Irish films. Fairly easy to track if you request participants to list Country of Origin, and it might promote deeper exploration rather than get everyone focusing on the UK. But whatever you want to do for a BC is cool.

What were your thoughts on I Care a Lot and its possible eligibility? Thanks again for volunteering to host!
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

sol wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:36 pm Oh - and an early eligibility question if you're up to it, Lonewolf. What do you think of I Care a Lot? Listed as a US/UK co-production on both IMDb and Letterboxd. Film is shot entirely in America and the production company seems to be American. The writer-director-producer is British though and at least a couple of the other producers are British... but the vast majority of producers are not British. Wikipedia also only lists the film as American (but that's not the best source usually for this sorta thing). Not seen the film myself of course, so no idea if it's particularly anchored to one country or the other.
Difficult question. For a challenge I would say it sounds like an American production.

But to be clear, I'm not going to be a very strict host checking all eligibility. I have no inclination to do that. I assume fair play from all, since we are all adults playing a game on an internet forum just for fun. (Of course with doubtful titles I will or if other users raise doubts.)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 3:00 pm Difficult question. For a challenge I would say it sounds like an American production.

But to be clear, I'm not going to be a very strict host checking all eligibility. I have no inclination to do that.
Yeah, that's fine. I don't care a lot about I Care a Lot being eligible or not (pun intended) but I appreciate your advice as Challenge host. I was going to err on the side of caution and not include it myself, but yeah, it's a tricky borderline case.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

sol wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:58 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:36 pm The only BC I was thinking about was about that Scorsese recoms to Wright list.
The one BC that I was thinking of (when I thought that I would end up hosting) was simply Irish films. Fairly easy to track if you request participants to list Country of Origin, and it might promote deeper exploration rather than get everyone focusing on the UK. But whatever you want to do for a BC is cool.

What were your thoughts on I Care a Lot and its possible eligibility? Thanks again for volunteering to host!
Yeah was also thinking about doing a complete all parts, so having to watch one from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. (I didn't forget any did I?) Or to make it even more challenging about watching one in Welsh, Irish Gaelic or Scottish Gaelic. (Are there any?)

I was also thinking to use your rule with Benelux, that people have to list the country/part or it won't be counted at all. Otherwise it will be very hard to keep track of it all.
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

I don’t know if we have any members from the Unionist community of Northern Ireland but best to split Ireland into Northern Ireland and the Republic if you are thinking of doing a bonus challenge. Having standalone Ireland could annoy Nationalists if you imply that Ireland is part of the UK and annoy Unionists if you imply that there is a United Ireland.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Maybe I need some very complex rule that some movies can move from Ireland to Northern Ireland, but other can't move from Northern Ireland to the UK. :lol:

But seriously, I get your point. But that would be hard to do, cause Northern Ireland isn't a production country on IMDb.
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

No, I think that you are right. Complex rules are the way forward, perhaps we could call it a protocol?

I’m surprised England, Scotland and Wales get separate status in IMDb but Northern Ireland doesn’t.

Good luck sorting the Irish coproduction entries. There is a thriving professional services industry here dedicated to film finance and the tax incentives for the industry.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

sol wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:39 pm
sol wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:45 am PM sent to allisoncm to confirm hosting duties for Directed by Women.
No reply from allison yet. She was active on the forum 4 hours after I sent the message but I don't know if she read it (message is still in my Outbox).

Anybody know allison on another platform to ask her? I'm okay with trying to recruit another female host, but don't really want to start doing that if she's still keen to host.

EDIT: looks like Armo just read my mind and has already done that. :turned:
Allison obviously has dibs on the challenge, but if she's unable to host, I'll be backup. Mostly because I'm going to leverage my wife's brain, since she has a degree in women's and gender studies.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

maxwelldeux wrote: February 24th, 2021, 10:51 pm Allison obviously has dibs on the challenge, but if she's unable to host, I'll be backup. Mostly because I'm going to leverage my wife's brain, since she has a degree in women's and gender studies.
Thanks, max. Just received a message from allison and she has stated that she won't be around next month, so the Challenge is all yours. :thumbsup: I was actually thinking of asking your wife, but I know she hasn't been active much lately.
Image Image Image
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

sol wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:42 am
maxwelldeux wrote: February 24th, 2021, 10:51 pm Allison obviously has dibs on the challenge, but if she's unable to host, I'll be backup. Mostly because I'm going to leverage my wife's brain, since she has a degree in women's and gender studies.
Thanks, max. Just received a message from allison and she has stated that she won't be around next month, so the Challenge is all yours. :thumbsup: I was actually thinking of asking your wife, but I know she hasn't been active much lately.
I'll get the thread up this weekend. :thumbsup:
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

maxwelldeux wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:51 pm
sol wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:42 am
I'll get the thread up this weekend. :thumbsup:
It's mostly drafted (thanks, allisoncm). I've asked Wife for some content, and she's working on it. One bonus challenge, but no stats. Fingers crossed, it'll go up Saturday my time.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:31 am If no UK or Irish volunteer before this weekend, I can do the UK challenge.
Just double-checking that you're still up for this. I'm not planning to stay up after midnight watching UK and Irish films myself, but it has already hit March in some parts of the world. ;)
Image Image Image
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

sol wrote: February 28th, 2021, 1:14 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:31 am If no UK or Irish volunteer before this weekend, I can do the UK challenge.
Just double-checking that you're still up for this. I'm not planning to stay up after midnight watching UK and Irish films myself, but it has already hit March in some parts of the world. ;)
Yep, was making the topic when you posted. It's up now: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5356
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 2:23 pm
sol wrote: February 28th, 2021, 1:14 pm
Yep, was making the topic when you posted. It's up now: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5356
:worship: ... and I think you're doing the right thing by making the individual regions an Opt-In bonus challenge.
Image Image Image
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I had a hypothesis that the replacement of max's challenge scoring system with sol's challenge scoring system would lead to a decrease in viewership. I thought this would be because the new challenge scoring system would take some of the intensity out of the competition (a good thing, in my opinion). Also, the new TV/shorts rules made it a little harder to compile points from TV episodes and shorts. Well, I've crunched some numbers, and so far the evidence shows that I was wrong.

I took the four challenges so far this year for which previous editions existed and compared their numbers. For each edition, I calculated the total number of points and the average score for each participant. Here are the results:

Sci Fi
2021 - 1323 points, 32.3 average
2020 - 1663 points, 39.6 average

1000<400
2021 - 689 points, 24.6 average
2020 - 530 points, 19.6 average

Benelux
2021 - 378 points, 18 average
2019 - 293 points, 14 average

Run the Director
2021 - 1191 points, 42.5 average
2020 - 1515 points, 45.9 average

As you can see, in two of the challenges, the total points and average went up. But in the other two challenges, the total points and average went down. So what does this all mean? I think it means that people, as a whole, are making decisions about viewership and participation in the challenges that are little different from the decisions they made last year.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Huh. I don't know how I missed your post before, but interesting stats, blocho.

In other news, it will be April in one week's time -- so how are we looking for hosts?

Here are next month's challenges:

-- Middle East (excluding Iran)

-- Doubling the Canon Nominees

-- Animation

(for anybody scratching their head, we have a separate Iran/Central Asia Challenge later on in the year)

As usual, I could host any of the challenges. Again as usual, if I do host, it won't be with any bonus challenges of note, so if there is a bonus challenge that you'd be keen to see -- or if you are really enthusiastic about one of the topics -- please volunteer to host now. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

sol wrote: March 25th, 2021, 11:00 am Huh. I don't know how I missed your post before, but interesting stats, blocho.

In other news, it will be April in one week's time -- so how are we looking for hosts?

Here are next month's challenges:

-- Middle East (excluding Iran)

-- Doubling the Canon Nominees

-- Animation

(for anybody scratching their head, we have a separate Iran/Central Asia Challenge later on in the year)

As usual, I could host any of the challenges. Again as usual, if I do host, it won't be with any bonus challenges of note, so if there is a bonus challenge that you'd be keen to see -- or if you are really enthusiastic about one of the topics -- please volunteer to host now. :thumbsup:
I may throw my hat in on Animation, maybe come up with another scavenger hunt like I did with the Comedy challenge last year. :D
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

flavo5000 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 9:39 pm I may throw my hat in on Animation, maybe come up with another scavenger hunt like I did with the Comedy challenge last year. :D
Thanks, flavo. I'll take that as a tentative yes :P unless anybody else volunteers to host.

A quick note to anybody thinking of hosting the Middle East, please speak sooner rather than later because if I'm hosting I want a decent couple of days to put something together.
Image Image Image
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

I'm tempted to take over the DtC nominations, complete with recommendation game. I hope that my stats tool in combination with a high participation won't break my neck. Maybe my ideas for automatic retrieval of imdb by only copying the (movie title (year)) string as posted by the user will work out, then I can permanently reduce the amount of work but it requires quite a bit of coding.

Well, I guess in the worst case I can always switch to themagician's challenger tool (~abandoning the stats)
Current recommendation: Mandala (1981)

ImageImage

Current focus: Doubling the Canon nominees, Japan, South Korea

Last.fm | RYM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Melvelet wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:43 am I'm tempted to take over the DtC nominations, complete with recommendation game. I hope that my stats tool in combination with a high participation won't break my neck. Maybe my ideas for automatic retrieval of imdb by only copying the (movie title (year)) string as posted by the user will work out, then I can permanently reduce the amount of work but it requires quite a bit of coding.
Thanks, Melv. Your stats are always amazing and great to hear that you'd be up for having a recommendations game as in previous years. But yeah, totally understand the whole "break my neck" thing. I know that it has already been challenging to keep things up-to-date with the Challenge you're hosting this month, so I wouldn't want to put any undue extra pressure on you.

So, this is how we are looking so for next month:

-- Middle East (excluding Iran) -- probably sol, with a pie chart but no bonus challenge

-- Doubling the Canon Nominees -- probably Melvelet, likely with a recommendations game and tons of stats

-- Animation -- probably flavo, likely with a scavenger hunt bonus challenge

:thumbsup: If anybody else is keen on hosting, let us know because nobody is a definite 'yes' yet. :shifty:
Image Image Image
beavis

Post by beavis »

Well, my watch-list for DtC has been made and the collection browsed for DVD and BR's that I might be watching. Can't wait for the thread of the challenge to post pictures again ;)
Spoiler
with current plans, this will be the last challenge I'm participating in this year, so... not sure if this new quirk of mine has been liked much, but it will have been a short lived tradition anyway ;)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Middle East Challenge thread is up and ready to go. :ICM:

flavo5000 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 9:39 pm I may throw my hat in on Animation, maybe come up with another scavenger hunt like I did with the Comedy challenge last year. :D
Melvelet wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:43 am I'm tempted to take over the DtC nominations, complete with recommendation game.
Just confirming that you guys are still on for this (if not, please let us know ASAP). New Zealand will hit April in a little over 26 hours time. :run:
Image Image Image
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

sol wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:48 am Middle East Challenge thread is up and ready to go. :ICM:

Melvelet wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:43 am I'm tempted to take over the DtC nominations, complete with recommendation game.
Just confirming that you guys are still on for this (if not, please let us know ASAP). New Zealand will hit April in a little over 26 hours time. :run:
Ya, I'm going to create a thread today hopefully. I got my scavenger hunt planned out. :D
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

flavo5000 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 3:57 pm I'm going to create a thread today hopefully. I got my scavenger hunt planned out. :D
Good man. :thumbsup: Hoping and praying for a Disney or recent box office crap scavenger hunt :think: since I've decided to use next month's challenge to finally plug up some of my holes in this area. :unsure:
Image Image Image
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

sol wrote: March 30th, 2021, 4:08 pm
flavo5000 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 3:57 pm I'm going to create a thread today hopefully. I got my scavenger hunt planned out. :D
Good man. :thumbsup: Hoping and praying for a Disney or recent box office crap scavenger hunt :think: since I've decided to use next month's challenge to finally plug up some of my holes in this area. :unsure:
I did that a couple years ago... It was rough. Watching all the Chipmunks and Smurfs movies in a single movie is a really bad idea.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Let's see if we can shame sol into watching some decent animation too :ph43r:
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I've been watching a lot of anime recently anyway, so I'll participate. I've almost finished Aria the Natural, so I should be ready to start Aria the Origination by the time the challenge starts.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Alright. Thread is out there. Let me know if I messed anything up or if you see anything weird in there.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Onderhond wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:18 pm Let's see if we can shame sol into watching some decent animation too :ph43r:
Well, if he participates in the scavenger hunt, it'll pretty much force him to watch at least a few things that aren't on the Box Office list. :D
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Okay, it's now officially April in New Zealand (and other countries will follow soon) and no word from Melvelet yet. I've pinged him on both this thread and the Waves Challenge thread but no response. I'll send him a PM right now too.

If Melvelet isn't available to host, do we have anyone else willing to step in? OP should be similar to last year's, but using the 40/80min rule instead.
Image Image Image
beavis

Post by beavis »

I have time to keep score I guess, but I'm not aware of all the rules and tools you guys have agreed on regarding challenges, also not the greatest with excel or programming skills... :)
so, if I can help I will, but I'm not sure I can...
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

beavis wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:05 am I have time to keep score I guess, but I'm not aware of all the rules and tools you guys have agreed on regarding challenges, also not the greatest with excel or programming skills... :)
so, if I can help I will, but I'm not sure I can...
Hopefully Mel will surface some time soon, but if he doesn't turn up tomorrow, it would be awesome if you could jump in instead. :thumbsup:

Hosting is pretty easy if all that you are tracking is # of films viewed. In fact, you don't even need to use excel unless you are tracking multiple columns (e.g. totals for different countries). This is a word document leaderboard that I used for a challenge that I hosted last year without extra columns:

Just manually move participants up and down as the count column changes. Very easy to put together and track in Word.

As for the rules, these are the only ones that you should state:

- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.
- Films must be watched one at a time and at single speed (not sped up).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.

All other rules (whether participants need to state year-of-release, country or director etc.) may vary from challenge to challenge. All depends what stats (if any) you wish to track.

But yeah, hopefully Melvelet will still be up to hosting because his recommendations game sounded promising. Let's see what the next few hours bring.
Image Image Image
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Oh sorry, thread will be up soon

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

With the current mood to work on extending the challenge tool, I will probably take over the Japanese challenge next month. I will confirm later in the month

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Melvelet wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:10 pm With the current mood to work on extending the challenge tool, I will probably take over the Japanese challenge next month. I will confirm later in the month
Yeah, I can host Japan

ImageImage

Last.fm | RYM
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Melvelet wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 9:56 am Yeah, I can host Japan
Thanks, Mel. You've done an amazing job this month with the DTC Challenge + keeping things regularly updated. :thumbsup:

I might as well put this out there now - I don't want to host Mystery / Thriller next month. I could be talked into hosting Westerns but I wouldn't mind a break either...
Image Image Image
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

I can do Mystery.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

shugs wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 2:33 pm I can do Mystery.
I’m glad that mystery is solved.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 4:54 pm
I’m glad that mystery is solved.
Zing!

Shugs has handled Westerns the past two years. If shugs doesn't want it, I'll do it.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

blocho wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 5:57 pm Shugs has handled Westerns the past two years. If shugs doesn't want it, I'll do it.
Thanks, guys. Looks like we are all set for May and ready to go. :thumbsup:

:shoot:
Image Image Image