Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Akage, June nominations (May 28th)

Western Challenge (Official, May 2021)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Saddle Up, Pilgrim

1. Sukiyaki Western Django (Takashi Miike 2007)

We now move on to the Randolph Scott portion of our program...

2. Man of the Forest (Henry Hathaway, 1933)
3. High, Wide and Handsome (Rouben Mamoulian, 1937)

This ends my 14 or so year Randolph Scott western quest, as these are the last two (available) films I had left to see. There are 4 early films that as near as I can tell have never been commercially available on video and don't seem to be online - they have 1 check between them. So barring those films resurfacing, I'm done with Scott's western filmography (and almost done with the rest of his filmography which I guess I'll prioritize now). And surprisingly enough, this long-running quest ended on something of a high note, as both of these films were definitely better than I expected them to be, though neither quite qualifies as a favorite.

Man of the Forest suffered from being a VERY poor, low-res transfer on YouTube; the first 5-10 minutes of this hour-long b flick had so many sound dropouts that I actually considered stopping it, but given the small likelihood of anything better coming along, I figured what the hell, and thankfully the sound at least improved a lot after the first reel, even if the picture remained murky and nearly impenetrable in the night scenes. Simple story - Scott is the friend of rancher and ex-convict Harry Carey, who can't properly hold title to his land because of his criminal past and is waiting for his niece (Verna Hillie) to come along so that he can hand the title to her, and keep mustache-twirling (ok not literally) bad guy Noah Beery from taking over the whole valley. Kidnappings, killings, chases ensue. What makes this fun in addition to the cast (also including Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, Barton MaacLane and Buster Crabbe) is the prominent role that animals play - there's an ornery mule that provides a bit of comedy, but more importantly Scott's best friend, a mountain lion, plays a pivotal part in moving the narrative along. The mountain lions are actually played by (female) African lions - so even in the animal kingdom we have Hollywood whitewashing. One of the best b-westerns of the 30s I've seen, which isn't saying a huge amount but is still a worthwhile compliment.

High, Wide and Handsome exists in much better, DVD if not quite hi-def quality and so is a much better viewing experience, and it turns out to be a better film as well, and an example of one of my favorite trends in 1930s Hollywood - the genre mishmash. It's kind of a musical - Irene Dunne is the top-lined star and sings 4 or 5 songs - and it's definitely a romance between her and farmer-turned-oilman Randolph Scott; it's a political-labor film with Scott's little starting oil concern trying to fight off the evil banker Walter Brennan along with his henchman, Scott's old romantic rival Charles Bickford. And it IS a western, though some might suggest that Western Pennsylvania doesn't count. But in 1859 when this takes place, Pittsburgh and Cleveland OH, the two nearest large cities, were both still modest metropolises of 40-45,000 or so, and the railroads were just beginning to knit the country together. Scott was becoming a mainstream star by this point, transitioning out of being purely a western hero for the next decade or so, so this is an interesting film in this development, and he gives a better performance than usual at this stage in his career, with a good impassioned speech near the end as his dreams look on the verge of being destroyed, but it's really the weird mix of plot elements (there's also a circus featuring somewhat prominently, and the line "here comes the circus" near the end is a humorous echo of "here comes the cavalry" in so many more conventional westerns) and the cast - also including 22-year-old Dorothy Lamour in her fifth film in her second year in the business, Akim Tamiroff, Raymond Walburn, and the wonderful Elizabeth Patterson as Scott's rather naughty aunt - that makes this film as enjoyable as it is. The music and lyrics are by Oscar Hammerstein and Jerome Kern, so it's surprising that it isn't more a straight musical than it is - perhaps some changes in production made because the bigwigs thought it would work better as a more dramatic story?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

OldAle1 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 1:05 pm That's my favorite (u)

Rankings:

Comanche Station
Ride Lonesome
The Tall T
Seven Men From Now
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
Westbound

The first three are on my all-time favorites list and all but Westbound (which is not a bad film at all, just weak in comparison) are on my favorite westerns list. Gotta credit Scott/Boetticher for really getting me (back) into westerns around 2007 or so. I think I've seen all but the last at least twice now, and I think I may re-watch one of them at least this month.
My own ranking:

The Tall T
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
---
Seven Men From Now
Ride Lonesome
Comanche Station

Not seen: Westbound

The first three are all pretty great movies in my opnion. The next three less so (good but not amazing). I don't have them all fresh in my mind, but The Tall T has the most dynamic story from memory, while Buchanan Rides Alone offers Scott's best performance in my books. I'm really pleased that I managed to recently get it in the DTC. I wasn't expecting the film to be so great given all of the Official Lists that all of the other films (well, not Westbound) are in while Buchanan has (or had) a big fat zero.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

sol wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:11 pm

Rankings:

Comanche Station
Ride Lonesome
The Tall T
Seven Men From Now
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
Westbound

The first three are on my all-time favorites list and all but Westbound (which is not a bad film at all, just weak in comparison) are on my favorite westerns list. Gotta credit Scott/Boetticher for really getting me (back) into westerns around 2007 or so. I think I've seen all but the last at least twice now, and I think I may re-watch one of them at least this month.
My own ranking:

The Tall T
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
---
Seven Men From Now
Ride Lonesome
Comanche Station

This would be exactly the same as what my ranking would look like as well, including not seeing Westbound (because yea I heard from multiple people that is a weaker movie).
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

1. The Gunfighter (1950)
klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 »

1. Anda muchacho, spara! (1971) 6/10
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

flavo5000 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:12 pm
sol wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:11 pm

Rankings:

Comanche Station
Ride Lonesome
The Tall T
Seven Men From Now
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
Westbound

My own ranking:

The Tall T
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
---
Seven Men From Now
Ride Lonesome
Comanche Station

This would be exactly the same as what my ranking would look like as well, including not seeing Westbound (because yea I heard from multiple people that is a weaker movie).
A little twist

The Tall T 8

Seven Men From Now 7
Ride Lonesome
Comanche Station
Westbound

Buchanan Rides Alone 6
Decision at Sundown
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I'm with sol in thinking Buchanan Rides Alone is highly underrated. And with sol and hurlu in thinking The Tall T is probably the best of the lot. The whole cycle is delightful. A great example of superior storytelling within low-budget, formulaic conditions.
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

2. The Naked Spur
3. Rio Bravo
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

Today I decided to check-out most of the big westerns that came out in 1947. Not exactly the hottest years for the genre, but there were a few good ones, like Angel and the Badman, Pursued and a handful of honorable mentions.

26. The Sea of Grass (1947, Elia Kazan) - 6/10
--- The artists involved wasn't happy with the result, as MGM pushed through their vision of Conrad Richter gritty novel. The MGM applied that romantic and glossy touch that made them so successful in the 1930s, but post war moods had changed, and that style was in many ways dated after the grueling war. The studio had become a little tone deaf, which was why so many of their movies lost money at the box office in and around 1947. Naturally, being a fan of 1930s films, I didn't mind it so much, and The Sea of Grass (1947) was actually one of the few movies that year that made them a decent profit, which I will credit to the appeal of Spencer Tracy & Katharine Hepburn. But it was clear that the hardship of the story had a lot more offer an audience than they were willing to apply. It's an absolute tragic story, and even the ending was tragic, even if they put an happy spin on it. I can only imagine how powerful this film would have been had Elia Kazan been allowed to execute the right touches.

27. Ramrod (1947, André De Toth) - 6/10 - OFFICIAL CHECK (2 lists)
--- Ramrod (1947) was a lurker. Everything had a weird dynamic that hardened the relations between the characters. None more so than for Veronica Lake and the men surrounding her. There was something very intriguing there, but I'm not sure they got the most out of it.

28. Pursued (1947, Raoul Walsh) - 7/10 - OFFICIAL CHECK (5 lists)
--- A dark melodrama set out in the old west. Raoul Walsh certainly captured the action scenes and the tensions between Robert Mitchum & Teresa Wright. It's a pretty strong composition. Does move a little slow at times, but it does well to keep its mood under control.

29. Heaven Only Knows (1947, Albert S. Rogell) - 6/10
--- An angel arrives in the wild wild west and is mistaken for the Kansas City Kid. Sure sets-up a lot of humorous situations. The overall mood is that of the comical, but it wasn't afraid to throw in some dramatic portions so it wouldn't get too cute. Yeah, I enjoyed this goofy take on a popular theme and the old west.

30. Cheyenne (1947, Raoul Walsh) - 6/10
--- Having mainly seen Dennis Morgan in sappy romances and over-the-top musicals, it took some getting used to seeing him in a action-suspense western like this. He was almost too squeaky clean for this role. Not saying he was bad, just an adjustment as a viewer. The film had a lot going for it, but was probable best utilizing Morgan's flirty nature in the direction of Jane Wyman. The wild west stuff was fine, just not anything too original. But a highly polished western entertainer it was.

31. Wyoming (1947, Joseph Kane) - 5/10
--- Wyoming (1947) is one of the more higher scale westerns Republic Pictured produced in 1947. A starring piece for their cowboy star #2, after John Wayne, Mr. "Wild" Bill Elliott, who had graduated from B-westerns the year before. Naturally it's one also starring "Mrs. Republic" herself, Vera Ralston, which none of the studio's stars could escape. Well, it was a fine western. Clearly a poor man's version of movies the bigger studios were doing better, not quite nailing the emotional range for any of the sentimentality sinking in. From a action point-of-view it did well with the key moments. So while a uneven experience, it wasn't a bad mid-range tale of the west.

32. California (1947, John Farrow) - 6/10
--- Quality production made it a visually satisfying experience, especially with feisty Barbara Stanwyck there. But it kinda got dull with Ray Milland in the lead, which was a shame for it felt like he was really trying. He just wasn't the right man for the job. Still a very adventurous film with plenty to offer.

33. Gunfighters (1947, George Waggner) - 5/10
--- I liked Randolph Scott in this and there were a few good scenes, but overall I found the pacing uneven and there was a lack of interesting characters to elevate the experience.

34. Trail Street (1947, Ray Enright) - 6/10
--- Of Randolph Scott's two 1947 westerns, I liked Trail Street (1947) better than the Gunfighters (1947). The action had more of an edge, the baddies sleazier, and there's George 'Gabby' Hayes, one of my favorite sidekicks! This one did enough to excite me.

35. Angel and the Badman (1947, James Edward Grant) - 7/10
--- 1947 wasn't exactly packed with amazing westerns, but I think John Wayne's Angel and the Badman (1947) is the most enjoyable of the lot. It's one of John Wayne's cuter westerns. All about being reformed by a innocent girl. In this case played wonderfully by the adorable Gail Russell. The moment that had me the most, was when she was milking a lamb with tears in her eyes, looking straight at the Wayne after he'd had a wild night out. Captured so lovely. And that can be said about most of Russell's sweet moments, with Wayne confusingly melting at her presence. Had me melting too.

Spoiler
1. Wild Country (1947, Ray Taylor) - 2/10
2. Range Beyond the Blue (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
3. Black Hills (1947, Ray Taylor) - 2/10
4. Shadow Valley (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
5. Raiders of the South (1947, Lambert Hillyer) - 3/10
6. Law of the Lash (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10
7. Border Feud (1947, Ray Taylor) - 4/10
8. Pioneer Justice (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10
9. Ghost Town Renegades (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10
10. Return of the Lash (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10
11. The Fighting Vigilantes (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10
12. Cheyenne Takes Over (1947, Ray Taylor) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
13. Michigan Kid (1947, Ray Taylor) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
14. The Vigilantes Return (1947, Ray Taylor) - 5/10
15. Last of the Redmen (1947, George Sherman) - 4/10
16. South of the Chisholm Trail (1947, Derwin Abrahams) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
17. The Lone Hand Texan (1947, Ray Nazarro) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
18. West of Dodge City (1947, Ray Nazarro) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
19. Law of the Canyon (1947, Ray Nazarro) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
20. Prairie Raiders (1947, Derwin Abrahams) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
21. The Stranger from Ponca City (1947, Derwin Abrahams) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
22. Riders of the Lone Star (1947, Derwin Abrahams) - 4/10
23. Last Days of Boot Hill (1947, Ray Nazarro) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
24. Jesse James Rides Again (1947, Fred C. Brannon & Thomas Carr) - 5/10
25. Son of Zorro (1947, Spencer Gordon Bennet & Fred C. Brannon) - 4/10
- The Western 2016, 2017, 2019 & 2020 Asian 2016, War 2019, 1940s 2019 and Unofficial 2019 & 2020 CHALLENGE WINNER!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 30,000 Checks Club!
- The guy with the most reviews on Letterboxd!
- And now the guy that's added the most movies to Criticker!
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

4. Winchester '73 (1950)
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

3. Django (1966): 5/10

Silly shooting scenes and rather odd behavior.

Seen
1. The Salvation (2014)
2. Silverado (1985)
3. Django (1966)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

3. Inn of the Damned (1975)

An Aussie western, mixed with thriller and horror, about a pair of innkeepers who kill their guests. Some nice landscapes which we never see in American or Italian westerns, but the movie is too long and the plot is a mess.

Spoiler
1. Born to the West (1937)
2. The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

5. Go West (1925)
AB537

Post by AB537 »

1. The Sisters Brothers (Jacques Audiard, 2018) 7/10

Finally getting myself on the board in this challenge, which sadly coincides with the Mystery/Thriller event. Wish I had the time to go hard in both.
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Thank you for hosting, blocho!

(Screenshots from 'Um Pistoleiro Chamado Papaco' & 'Sertânia'),

ImageImageImageImage

1. Mandacaru Vermelho (Red Mandacaru, Nelson Pereira dos Santos, 1961) 7.5/10
2. Caingangue (Carlos Hugo Christensen, 1973) 8.5/10
3. Um Pistoleiro Chamado Papaco (A Gunman Called Papaco, Mario Vaz Filho, 1986) 7/10
4. Sertânia (Geraldo Sarno, 2018-20) 9.5/10

The Devil designs it, and we cut and sew it! (Geraldo Sarno)

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

How the West Was Won
1. News of the World (2020)
2. Comanche Station (1960)
3. Cowboys Don't Cry (1988)

Set and shot in rural Alberta, this is curiously populated by characters who still act and dress like it is the Wild West, and all the rodeo sports are shown in detail. Once the young protagonist's mother dies though, the film becomes increasingly melodramatic. His father's casual drinking soon turns to downright alcoholism, he has trouble fitting in at a new school etc. Terrible music too. A shame as the director's Loyalties is a pretty decent look at life in Alberta.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Sol, I'm shocked you were able to find a Canadian movie you hadn't previously seen.
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

Decided to changes things up a little today and dip into the world of modern westerns. I wish I hadn't... I'll still stubbornly do the rest I've got lined up from the last few years, but I'll most likely spread them out so not to have any more depressing viewing days like this.

36. Mexican Moon (2021, Chris Zuhdi) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- This modern western is a vanity project for a guy called Chris Zuhdi, who directed, wrote and starred in Mexican Moon (2021), not being particularly skilled at any of those. It's a slow and methodical, often empty, drama about a guy out-on-his luck wanting to steal from the drug cartels. The only positive thing i can say was that it was Covid-safe. I don't even think the actors were in the same room as they kept shifting from one close-up to the other during the boring conversations. So in that regard, it had a vision and stuck to it.

37. Promise (2021, Joe Cornet) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- At least they tried, in the amateur way, to tell a spectacular story from the old west, but... this was all over the place! The acting was comical, the story relied totally of twists, and nothing was very convincing.

38. Tyger Tyger (2021, Kerry Mondragon) - 1/10
--- A lame-ass trippy-trip I was bored to death by. Why this was classed as a western, I don't know, except it being set in a modern lawless wasteland out west. But since IMDB categorize in as so, I'll reward myself by including it.

39. Cowgirls vs. Pterodactyls (2021, Joshua Kennedy) - 2/10
--- I mean, it is a spoof, but.... come on!

40. The Judge of Harbor County (2021, Al Carretta) - 1/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Brits can't make American Westerns!!!

41. Texas Red (2021, Travis Mills) - 1/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- One would think making a movie about racial unjust would be the simplest thing to do, but here comes Texas Red (2021) and completely misses the mood.

42. She Was the Deputy's Wife (2021, Travis Mills) - 2/10
--- The plot had the potential to at least be watchable, but director Travis Mills, with his 12 westerns in 12 month project, is struggling to actually tell compelling stories. Even with brutality as a key ingredient, She Was the Deputy's Wife (2021) is fumbled to the point you just don't care by the time the reveal comes.

43. Bastard's Crossing (2021, Travis Mills) - 2/10
--- I'm in the generous corner giving Bastard's Crossing (2021) such a high score, but it's a decent sleeping pill replacement. Even murder and holding women captive was dead boring in the old west.

44. News of the World (2020, Paul Greengrass) - 6/10
--- I was trying to save News of the World (2020) for another day, as it's close to the only big western made these past years, but having endured some absolute modern stinkers of this genre all day long, I just had to balance things with this treat. And thankfully News of the World was good. Sure, one does recognize a lot of the same techniques that kills the enjoyment of the small westerns, like the aimless wandering, slow pacing and often emotionless shots of the surroundings. But this was several levels more professionally executed, and managed to use those techniques to actually inflict some emotion. That's the difference when using a world class actor instead of a random nobody. There are too few like Tom Hanks, who can communicate the littlest thing in a great way.

45. Soldier's Heart (I) (2020, Michael Feifer) - 2/10
--- Typical dull western we're used to these days, except extra long. Wouldn't it be better to add more heart into the story and production instead of adding more of the same. The mood of these lame modern westerns are too serious, in that way that nobody takes them serious. They just do their story without a hint of charm.

Spoiler
- The Western 2016, 2017, 2019 & 2020 Asian 2016, War 2019, 1940s 2019 and Unofficial 2019 & 2020 CHALLENGE WINNER!
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

6. Apache Drums (1951)
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

4. A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014): 6/10

I love Family Guy and Ted, so I figured I might like this one too. Sure enough, it was full of that typical Seth MacFarlane humor. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it fell flat.

I can't decide on a rating just yet. Need to sleep on it. Alright, we'll give it a 6.

Seen
1. The Salvation (2014)
2. Silverado (1985)
3. Django (1966)
4. A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)
Last edited by Lammetje on May 5th, 2021, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

4. Tall in the Saddle (1944)

5. The Lonely Trail (1936)

6. Flaming Star (1960)

7. Vampire Junction (2001)

8. Half Way to Hell (1961)
DRAW!
1. Arizona Colt a.k.a. Man from Nowhere (1966)
2. The Lady of the Dugout (1918)
3. Daisy Town (1971)
6. Flaming Star (1960)
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

7. The Man From Laramie (1955)
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

4. Death Rides a Horse (1967)

Deserves its high ranking on the Spaghetti list

Spoiler
1. Born to the West (1937)
2. The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
4. Death Rides a Horse (1967)
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

5. True Grit (2010) (rewatch): 9/10 (old rating: 8/10)

Hailee Steinfeld shines as Mattie, a clever, determined 14-year-old with a rich vocabulary who manages to impose her will on adults. But I like how she shows her age at times as well. Jeff Bridges is great too, although it wouldn't hurt if he'd speak a little clearer. Cinematography and soundtrack are both outstanding.

Seen
1. The Salvation (2014)
2. Silverado (1985)
3. Django (1966)
5. True Grit (2010) (rewatch)

More memorable quotes
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

I decided to continue with the modern selection, just so I wouldn't have to dread doing them later. And not surprising the depression of modern westerns continued....

46. The Dalton Gang (2020, Christopher Forbes) - 1/10
--- If you ever wanted to watch a film about the life of The Dalton Gang (2020), this is not it. Avoid like a plague.

47. Once Upon a Time in Tombstone (2020, Christopher Forbes) - 1/10
--- If Once Upon a Time in Tombstone (2020) is anything to go by, Tombstone must have been one of the most boring towns in American history. From the same guys that brought us that "exceptional" biopic of The Dalton Gang (2020).

48. Warpath (2020, Josh Becker) - 2/10
--- Pretty bad, but considering the bottom barrel is broken and I've seen the bar lowered to some of the worst horse shit westerns I've seen in my life, Warpath (2020) almost became watchable. That's not in any way praise or a recommendation of you watching it too.

49. Incident at Guilt Ridge (2020, Joe Cornet) - 1/10
--- This was one of the shorter modern westerns I had lined-up, but I was contemplating leaving this one behind because it was dragging the hell out of the little story there was. I'm used to watching a lot of bad films, and considering turning them off not something that happens often. Just a uninteresting piece of crap.

50. No Man's Land (2020, Conor Allyn) - 3/10
--- Current day border western. Pretty boring, but its got likable old faces like Andie MacDowell & George Lopez in key roles and considering the crap I've been watching the past few days, it was just nice to watch something that wasn't just a unintentional parody.

51. The Pale Door (2020, Aaron B. Koontz) - 2/10
--- The Pale Door (2020) is what you get when you cross a amateur western with cliched horror elements.... what you mean, it doesn't sound good?!

52. JL Family Ranch: The Wedding Gift (2020, Sean McNamara) - 2/10
--- Modern day ranch drama from Hallmark. Lifeless TV production where veterans Jon Voight, & James Caan mumble out some of their lasts breaths for easy cash. So weird that a Hallmark movie isn't even close to being the worst thing I've watched today.

53. The Rodeo Thief (2020, Brett Bentman) - 2/10
--- This was more the case of the story not being for me than the production being bad. It's mostly about lame-ass masculinity issues, and it just bored me.

54. L'état sauvage [Savage State] (2019, David Perrault) - 3/10
--- Even the French make boring-ass westerns! Sure, there was a little more going on here than most of the American westerns produced around the same time, but it's like they were all made by the same person, or went to the same film school learning the same lame techniques. What used to be fun about westerns were that they were action-packed and snappy. Now they're these slow floating messes of parody.

55. Vaquero del mediodía [Midday Cowboy] (2019, Diego Enrique Osorno) - 5/10
--- I had no expectations going into a documentary about a drunken poet, but Midday Cowboy turned-out to be a fascinating search for a the genius bum, Samuel Noyola. A nice diversion from the other stuff I've been watching lately.

Spoiler
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

blocho wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:02 pm Sol, I'm shocked you were able to find a Canadian movie you hadn't previously seen.
This is a good point. I should avoid watching more Canadian westerns here lest I run short of films to make it up to 125 in the next Canuck Challenge. :sweat:
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

How the West Was Shot
4. The Missouri Breaks (1976)

Most intriguing here is a so-called "regulator" played by a quirky Marlon Brando, with lots of interest in his occupation, offering his cattle rustler killing services door-to-door. The film spends too much time though on a dull love angle and silly comedy (crossing a river). It is really only in the final fifteen minutes that the drama takes off, but Nicholson and Brando's final scene together is nicely brutal and graphic. The subsequent scenes linger too.
Image Image Image
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

8. Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

9. Five Bloody Graves (1970)

10. Big Calibre (1935)

11. Zanna Bianca a.k.a. White Fang (1973)
DRAW!
3. Daisy Town (1971)
6. Flaming Star (1960)
10. Big Calibre (1935)
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

9. The Long Riders (1980)
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

I'll probable be watching more modern westerns in this challenge, but there's not so many left that it feels scary having to jump in. Plenty more of the classic kind I like, and I'm happy I got to do the '47 Hopalong Cassidy films to finish the day after three days of modern disappointments.

56. First Cow (2019, Kelly Reichardt) - 4/10 - OFFICIAL CHECK (1 list)
--- Nature warming but slightly overrated cinematography. I mean, it's nice to look at, but it's not nice enough to actually carry the picture. The characters are more interesting, but the story doesn't take advantage of that as much. Instead it turns into the standard slow and aimless approach that so popularly kills movies these days.

57. Bacurau (2019, Juliano Dornelles, Kleber Mendonça Filho) - 5/10 - OFFICIAL CHECK (3 lists)
-- How to judge Bacurau (2019)? There's so much going on here, not all of it worked. But its rooted in the a small rural town standing-up for themselves against the corrupt politician running for election, resulting in a group of gang of killers being sent into town to liquidate them. Violent, outlandish and even charming. What was nicely done, was the village itself and the struggling people living there. You felt the community spirit, and that politician than came campaigning, just the right kind of sleazy to hate him. Where it failed, was the foreign group of hired assassins. Looked and felt so out-of-place. It didn't mash at all, even if Udo Kier did have the charisma as their leader. But their half-baked parody image, weapons of choice and whatever ideology/reasons they had, it was all wrong for the the rest of the feel of this slaughter.

58. Fire on the Hill (2018, Brett Fallentine) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Documentary about the black horse riders in the midst of Compton gangland. A mix of cowboy imagery and the tough street life that surrounds them. Not the greatest of documentaries, but it does put together a wonderful conflicting set of images of horse stables in rusty old shacks in thug country and a group of young individuals trying to be a positive image where positivity is needed.

59. The Hatred (2018, John Adams) - 2/10
--- The snowy scenery was a nice touch, but this father/daughter bonding time was a slow and uninteresting affair with splashes of gore that did advance the story. At least it was on the short side.

60. Wild Faith (2018, Jesse Low) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- This one imagines how a interracial relationship would be welcomed in the old west. Sadly the movie isn't very good. The main problem was that the story never comes alive in the way it should have. Unfocused and it falls before it has any chance communicating a positive story with a religious touch.

61. The Decadent and Depraved (2018, Axel August & Jordon Prince-Wright) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Australians does western almost as bad as Americans. There are entertaining bits, especially early on, but the story simply doesn't hold one's attention, and in the end I didn't care at all.

62. Unexpected Guest (1947, George Archainbaud) - 5/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Hoppy in a western-style old dark house murder mystery!!! "California" Andy Clyde is inheriting some money, but his fellow relatives start being killed-off, and what we get is a fun entry in the long-running movie series, mixing-up B-movie genres quite well.

63. Dangerous Venture (1947, George Archainbaud) - 4/10
--- The 58th entry of Hopalong Cassidy is a more conventional western episode in the series. And it was fine well-structured cowboy action, just not anything stand-out.

64. The Marauders (1947, George Archainbaud) - 5/10
--- Back to a more haunting approach as Hoppy and his pals take shelter at a church and strange things starts happening. Turns into a battle with a gang while barricading themselves while fooling those wanting the chase them out. Entertaining plot this time around.

65. Hoppy's Holiday (1947, George Archainbaud) - 5/10
--- Hopalong Cassidy and his pal decides to go into town for some fun, but gets mixed-up in a swindle of local money. Poor California gets accused and Hoppy & Lucky has to figure-out how to catch the real crooks. Less cowboy action and more a comic crime investigation, and this series knows how to combine the two to make episodes like this enjoyable.

Spoiler
57. Bacurau (2019, Juliano Dornelles, Kleber Mendonça Filho) - 5/10 - OFFICIAL CHECK (3 lists)
61. The Decadent and Depraved (2018, Axel August & Jordon Prince-Wright) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

6. Little Big Man (1970): 4/10

Not a funny comedy. Dustin's creaky voice bothered me as well.

Seen
1. The Salvation (2014)
2. Silverado (1985)
3. Django (1966)
5. True Grit (2010) (rewatch)
6. Little Big Man (1970)

More memorable quotes
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

Back to watching those old shorter westerns and it flows so much better! Mainly one-hour experiences, they pack the action and keeps things moving at a much faster pace.

66. Bells of San Fernando (1947, Terry O. Morse) - 4/10
--- Would have been better had they not forced Donald Woods to speak with a Irish accent.

67. Bells of San Angelo (1947, William Witney) - 5/10
--- "You look like you've been mixed-up in a violent game of soccer" was not a line I was expecting in a 1947 western, but it was a very British person saying it. These Roy Rogers films feel a lot more adventurous in Trucolor. Was a solid B-mix regardless of the extra splash-on, with the playful nature of soon to be married, Roy and Dale Evans, and a lively sidekick in Andy Devine. But there was a lot of characters involved here, including one of the last appearances of African-American favorite Fred 'Snowflake' Toones, even joining in for a song with Rogers and the crew, and the absolute last appearance of another black, rarely credited, comedian called Ray Turner, who did over a hundred films since the silent days.

68. Apache Rose (1947, William Witney) - 4/10
--- This was actually Roy Rogers first Trucolor film, but what remains available is the black & white version. Still got the patented Rogers formula of song and play, with a nice dash of action. Decent fun, but not among his most memorable adventures.

69. Springtime in the Sierras (1947, William Witney) - 4/10
--- An all-round entertainer from Roy Rogers and his pals that lacked a little focus to really engage. But you know you'll get a little bit of everything even if the story doesn't quite reach any peaks.

70. On the Old Spanish Trail (1947, William Witney) - 5/10
--- To spice things up for this Spanish flavored entry, Roy Rogers brings in both Tito Guízar & Estelita Rodriguez to give On the Old Spanish Trail (1947) the right feel. Also got Andy Devine who never fits in anywhere, but is always a lot of fun. It's a packed show, which distracts the plot a little, but that's normal for these B-westerns.

71. Pirates of Monterey (1947, Alfred L. Werker) - 6/10
--- Packed adventure, full of color with sturdy Rod Cameron and Maria Montez to splash a little beauty on this thing. There's almost too little time in between the lighthearted stuff and the tensions rising for it to establish its chaotic clash to full effect, but its a tightly directed escapade that ends Montez's Technicolor career in style.

72. Yankee Fakir (1947, W. Lee Wilder) - 4/10
--- Yankee Fakir (1947) is mostly Douglas Fowley charming his way through a western setting. Not enough to really make things interesting, but they kept the mood light and lively, so I guess that's something.

73. Twilight on the Rio Grande (1947, Frank McDonald) - 4/10
--- Typical B-western with a musical artist. The Gene Autry formula with a little bit of everything. Fairly interesting seeing once lead cowboy Bob Steele being relegated to more of a sidekick to Autry, and also having Sterling Holloway as the comic relief in a western. Plot wise, it's okay, but struggled to really engage. But it's nowhere near "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time", where it's included. The guys that wrote that book should watch more bottom of the barrel westerns like me. Then they'll start to appreciate films like Twilight on the Rio Grande (1947) a lot more.

74. The Last Round-up (1947, John English) - 4/10
--- More story based than your average Gene Autry oater. Not bad at that, but Autry is a lightweight when it comes to deeper acting, so it wasn't like I would class it among his better films. Still it was nice to see him try something a little different.

75. The Red Stallion (1947, Lesley Selander) - 5/10
--- A nice little family picture composed by Lesley Selander. In color and with the little sentimental bits that make stories like this work. Young Ted Donaldson does his role believable and the aging cast surrounding him give off that grandparents vibe well suited for this kid and his horse story. This was fine.

76. Riding the California Trail (1947, William Nigh) - 4/10
--- Gilbert Roland's Cisco Kid Riding the California Trail (1947) for Monogram. The main issue was that there was too much focus on the romancing and not enough action for a otherwise likable small western experience.

77. Robin Hood of Monterey (1947, Christy Cabanne) - 4/10
--- The Gilbert Roland Cisco Kid films are pleasant, but they also have pacing issues which doesn't take advantage of the chemistry it does have. But as smaller western experiences they are more than fine, bringing in a equal share of romance and action.

Spoiler
66. Bells of San Fernando (1947, Terry O. Morse) - 4/10
67. Bells of San Angelo (1947, William Witney) - 5/10
68. Apache Rose (1947, William Witney) - 4/10
69. Springtime in the Sierras (1947, William Witney) - 4/10
70. On the Old Spanish Trail (1947, William Witney) - 5/10
71. Pirates of Monterey (1947, Alfred L. Werker) - 6/10
72. Yankee Fakir (1947, W. Lee Wilder) - 4/10
73. Twilight on the Rio Grande (1947, Frank McDonald) - 4/10
74. The Last Round-up (1947, John English) - 4/10
75. The Red Stallion (1947, Lesley Selander) - 5/10
76. Riding the California Trail (1947, William Nigh) - 4/10
77. Robin Hood of Monterey (1947, Christy Cabanne) - 4/10
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

How the West Was Shot
5. The Man from Colorado (1948)

Vigorously rejecting his best friend's claim that he is sick, and intensely staring down anyone who wishes to oppose to him, Glenn Ford is excellent here, driven half-mad by all of the power suddenly thrust upon him. William Holden is less effective as his friend and only really seems to exist in the narrative to provide a moral compass, but this remains an intense look at PTSD long before the condition was ever named. Ford's final scene is highly memorable too.
Image Image Image
vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer »

1. Day of Anger (Tonino Valerii, 1967) - 7/10
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

From one Man From to another Man From:
How the West Was Shot
5. The Man from Colorado (1948)
6. The Man from Laramie (1955)

This features some shocking and brutal violence as James Stewart finds himself very unwelcome in a town and the supporting performances are fine - mostly notably Donald Crisp wrestling with losing his eyesight and Arthur Kennedy as an unappreciated adoptive son of sorts. Alas, all of the melodrama involving Kennedy, Crisp and Crisp's actual son always feels like a bit of a distraction from Stewart's search for a man selling rifles to Apaches.
Image Image Image
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

12. Wong Fei Hung VI: Sai Wik Hung See a.k.a. Once Upon a Time in China and America (Sammo Hung, 1997)

13. 800 balas a.k.a. 800 Bullets (Alex de la Iglesia, 2002)

14. Comin' at Ya! (Ferdinando Baldi, 1981)
DRAW!
3. Daisy Town (1971)
6. Flaming Star (1960)
10. Big Calibre (1935)
12. Wong Fei Hung VI: Sai Wik Hung See a.k.a. Once Upon a Time in China and America (1997)
13. 800 balas a.k.a. 800 Bullets (2002)
14. Comin' at Ya! (1981)