Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Experimental/Avant-Garde Challenge (Official, February 2021)

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

If you missed them for the documentary challenge, get em for the experimental! :D

viewtopic.php?p=671366#p671366
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Last Year at Marienbad is an experimental (adjective) film by any standards. It is extremely stylistically heightened and it's narrative unconventionally conveyed. Certainly a pretty unique Ibsen-adaption don't you think? Even more telling such a characterization don't even have to be accepted. You could make whatever interpretation you like. I'd say that Left-bank qualifies as an Avant-garde movement.

Anyhow. I'm grabbing some experimental fare now at the Christmas party, looking forward to seeing those.
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

1. Visa de censure n°X (1967) 8
2. Begotten (1990) 7
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Scoreboard updated - seems like we have a runaway lead already!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

St. Gloede wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 10:22 am Scoreboard updated - seems like we have a runaway lead already!
Yes, and everybody is ranked #1. :D

(it's okay -- easy enough rookie hosting mistake to make) :)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Challenge as a Subversive Art
1. Blue (1993)
2. Limite (1931)
3. Heart of a Dog (2015)

From the opening stretch in which Anderson describes a dream of having her dog sewn in her so she could give birth to it (all of which is depicted in pencil-line animation), it is clear from early on that this will be a very unusual ride. Throughout we are treated to some bizarre but always entrancing images and while Anderson sometimes loses focus, this flows like a stream of consciousness movie with her dog's death bringing out so many memories and ideas.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

1. Pays barbare / Babaric Land (Yervant Gianikian, Angela Ricci Lucchi, 2013) 7/10

Found footage documentary with images slowed down, tinted in different colors or shown in negative. With a focus on fascism it starts off with images of a large crowd gathered around Mussolini's massacred body (I didn't see anyone serving pancakes on the corpse, but maybe that wasn't a thing yet), followed by scenes from Italy's colonial affairs in Africa. I always find Gianikian and Ricci Lucchi's films very haunting with the ghostlike images of faces from the past staring at or passing in front of the camera, even more so with their films focusing on WWI than here. There's some uncharacteristic narration added at times here that I could have done without, but this is pretty good stuff. I appreciate the wear and tear to the footage as well.

2. Junge Kiefern / Young Pines (Ute Aurand, 2011) 8/10

A travelogue of sorts filmed in Japan. Flowers, trees, the ocean, people, filmed in color and b&w, no narration, with Aurand's typical style of recurring sections of rapid fire shots edited in-camera, making it look kind of like the camera is 'blinking'. Some very beautiful shots here make this one of the better I've seen by her.

(I added it to IMDb in case someone's seen it and wants to rate it.)

3. Nebel / Fog (Nicole Vögele, 2014) 7/10

Pretty atmospheric documentary. Barely any narration, just a few intertitles, shots of nature and different people going about their jobs or hobbies. I guess I was expecting a James Benning-esque film with literal shots of fog, but we also get heavy snow and smoke at a rave party etc. Most of all though, the title seems to be a metaphor for dull everyday life.

4. Circumstantial Pleasures (Lewis Klahr, 2020) 10/10

Ah, man, this is so dope. Loved it. Actually a collection of shorter films released together, but with the same tone and motifs throughout, so it feels cohesive (except for one very short bit). Klahr's typical cut out animation, here with a weird, dreamy electronic soundscape, including music by Scott Walker among others, not as heavy on the noir tones or any sort of narrative for that matter. I guess I was in the right headspace for it, cause I just zoned out. A delightful surprise since I haven't really clicked with Klahr's feature length work on the same level as his shorts previously.

List Describing My Progress
I'm an inconsistent rater, so consider the ratings as approximates.

1. Pays barbare / Babaric Land (Yervant Gianikian, Angela Ricci Lucchi, 2013) 7/10
lynchs

Post by lynchs »

insomnius Fernandes, we (me and St. Gloede) decided netflix experimental isn't allowed, sorry.

ps. downloading Klahr's one :turned:
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

directed by Patrick Bokanowski:

[18 min] Battements solaires (2008) (2nd viewing) 7+ (from 6)
The everyday reshaped into the unfamiliar and recontextualized into mythical spheres.

[9 min] Le canard à l'orange (2002) (2nd viewing) 6-

[1 min] Television de chambre (1984) 7-

[4 min] L'envol / Soar (2018) 6
Potency of digital smear.

[6 min] Au bord du lac (1994) (2nd viewing) 7 (from 3)
The fabric of man. Human shapes melt into the rest of the world.

[12 min] Déjeuner du matin / Breakfast (1974) (2nd+ viewing) 7

[18 min] La Femme qui se poudre / The Woman Who Powders Herself (1974) (2nd+ viewing) 6
Nightmare spasms of the vague.

[4 min] Flammes (1998) (2nd viewing) 7-
Angel memories digitized for new abstraction.

[5 min] Éclats d'Orphée (2002) (2nd viewing) 3

[12 min] Wer immer hofft stirbt singend (2018, Alexander Kluge) 4+
9/10 for the title.

[4 min] Palimpsest Palindrome (1965-1975, Myron Ort) 7
Somewhat like looking under a microscope in which the organisms are on amphetamines, the world is alive with wriggling lines in this edge detection image-obscured guessing game that plays like 10 Oskar Fischinger films superimposed over each other.

Okeanos (painted) (1972-2008, Myron Ort) 7
A journey embarked inside a box. With a swirl of Brakhage-esque color Parts I & II sink deep into the atomized earth-encircling ur-waterbody where no eye of man has been before. Parts III-V eschews the hand-painted film and chemical baths and the eye resurfaces to take in wider perspectives by sticking closely to the superimposition-rich images of "Okeanos (original)".

puis et avant / then and before
I Ici et maintenant / Here and Now (1968, Serge Bard) 6-
II Perret in Frankreich und Algerien / Perret in France and Algeria (2012, Heinz Emigholz) 7
III Wheel of Ashes (1968, Peter Emmanuel Goldman) 8
IV Okeanos (painted) (1972-2008, Myron Ort) 7

piecemeals awaiting their final count:
[18 min] Battements solaires (2008, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 7+ (from 6)
[9 min] Le canard à l'orange (2002, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 6-
[1 min] Television de chambre (1984, Patrick Bokanowski) 7-
[4 min] L'envol / Soar (2018, Patrick Bokanowski) 6
[6 min] Au bord du lac (1994, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 7 (from 3)
[12 min] Déjeuner du matin / Breakfast (1974, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd+ viewing) 7
[18 min] La Femme qui se poudre / The Woman Who Powders Herself (1974, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd+ viewing) 6
[4 min] Flammes (1998, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 7-
[5 min] Éclats d'Orphée (2002, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 3
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 »

Spoiler
1. Masterworks of American Avant-garde Experimental Film 1920-1970
Manhatta (1921) [rewatch] 7/10
Ballet mécanique (1924) [rewatch] 8/10
Anémic cinéma (1926) 6/10
The Life and Death of 9413, a Hollywood Extra (1928) [rewatch] 6/10
Skyscraper Symphony (1929) 6/10
Mechanical Principles (1931) [rewatch] 8/10
A Bronx Morning (1931) 7/10
2. By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volume Two
The Wonder Ring (1955) 6/10
The Dead (1960) 7/10
Two: Creeley/McClure (1965) 6/10
23rd Psalm Branch: Part I (1967) 7/10
23rd Psalm Branch: Part II (1978) 7/10
3. Masterworks of American Avant-garde Experimental Film 1920-1970 [2]
Poem 8 (1932) 5/10
An Optical Poem (1938) [rewatch] 7/10
Thimble Theater (1938) 5/10
Pursuit of Happiness (1940) 6/10
Tarantella (1940) 7/10
1941 (1941) 6/10
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943) [rewatch] 8/10
Meditation on Violence (1949) 6/10
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

1. Joy of Learning / Le Gai Savoir (Jean-Luc Godard, 1969) 5+

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 »

Spoiler
1.-2. Masterworks of American Avant-garde Experimental Film 1920-1970
Poem 8 (1932) 5/10
Tarantella (1940) 7/10
1941 (1941) 6/10
3. By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volume Two
The Dead (1960) 7/10
4. By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volume Two [2]
Scenes from Under Childhood Section #1 (1969) 8/10
The Machine of Eden (1970) 8/10
Star Garden (1974) 6/10
Desert (1976) 8/10
The Process (1972) 7/10
Burial Path (1978) 6/10
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

More viewings from Dolpwhphin's Experimental Cinema list:

7. Tout une Nuit (Chantal Akerman)
8. Wavelength (Michael Snow)
9. Reassemblage: From the Firelight to the Screen (T. Minh-ha Trinh)
10. Ruhr (James Benning)
11. Casting a Glance (James Benning)

12. La Souriante Madame Beudet (Germaine Dulac, 38 min)
At Land (Maya Deren, 15 min)
Castro Street (Bruce Baillie, 10 min)
Begone Dull Care (Norman McLaren, 8 min)
Glimpse of the Garden (Maria Menken, 5 min)
Don't - Der Österreichfilm (Martin Arnold, 4 min)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

From one dog film to another:
1. Blue (1993)
2. Limite (1931)
3. Heart of a Dog (2015)
4. Doggiewoggiez! Poochiewoochiez! (2012)

While the "my name is / my planet is" audio is lifted from The Holy Mountain and randomly pops up throughout, there is no discernible narrative here and this not really a remake of the Jodorowsky film per se. On one hand, the found footage style therefore feels like a whole lot of randomness; on the other hand, everything is spliced together very rhythmically and even cleverly at times with some great "dogs are people too" and "b word" montage sequences.
Image Image Image
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

5. Magnum Begynasium Bruxellense (Boris Lehman, 1978) 7/10

Lehman is kind of Belgium's Jonas Mekas in the sense that he usually makes diary films similar to Mekas'. This however could be argued being more of a straight forward documentary, but I see it listed as experimental in some places. It depicts snippets of life of some inhabitants in a poor, working class neighborhood in Brussels. Interesting as an ethnological study, while it's also both funny and heart warming at times, with for example an old guy collecting creepy dolls and another pair of old timers singing for us.

6. Likt vinden far min längtan (Nina Hedenius, 1988) 8/10

I think this is avant-garde enough to include here. Another good one from Hedenius. Musician, composer, reincarnate Ralph Lundsten shares his philosophical thoughts on life, politics and his music. This is mixed with poetic images set to his music, described as "a cosmic journey through Sweden".

List Describing My Progress
I'm an inconsistent rater, so consider the ratings as approximates.

5. Magnum Begynasium Bruxellense (Boris Lehman, 1978) 7/10
6. Likt vinden far min längtan (Nina Hedenius, 1988) 8/10
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Dolwphin wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 7:47 am Last Year at Marienbad is an experimental (adjective) film by any standards. It is extremely stylistically heightened and it's narrative unconventionally conveyed. Certainly a pretty unique Ibsen-adaption don't you think? Even more telling such a characterization don't even have to be accepted. You could make whatever interpretation you like. I'd say that Left-bank qualifies as an Avant-garde movement.

Anyhow. I'm grabbing some experimental fare now at the Christmas party, looking forward to seeing those.
The fact that no one has argued with your point demonstrates just how strong it is. :cheers:
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Let's get this started then!

-

1. Lyrisch nitraat / Lyrical Nitrate (1991, Peter Delpeut)

This is a perfectly solid meditation of cinema by merging together elements of the remnants of a large library of nitrate film stock that has mostly been destroyed. However, to be honest I was a little underwhelmed here. Given the introduction stating how destroyed the negatives were, I was expecting to see new poetry and beauty created from this damage (there is an element of this towards the end) but the majority is using well-preserved stock - and playing many scenes out. 

I like the added meta context, in seeing star after star - as if they were all in the same film - and then title after title - all framed against footage of spectators in a cinema - before we venture out into the world. It was also nice to see how scenes from what is clearly average melodramas to be given added gravitas and stand out in their next context. A perfectly pleasant exercise. 6/10

2. Double Labyrinthe (1976, Maria Klonaris, Katerina Thomadaki)

Honestly, this film did not speak to me much - though certain visuals are intriguing. We mainly look at blood, nude bodies and blood dripping from or on nude bodies - with the interjected meet, skull, stabbing, etc. There is no sound, and the experience feel campy, but not campy enough to be genuinely amusing/absorbing. 4/10.

3. Le sang (1971, Jean-Daniel Pollett)

Avant-garde theatre is its most bizarre form - we see people walking, running, fighting, murdering along a seemingly endless path - without any direction in sight. Shouting, screeching, grunting - taking up most interaction - with the occasional lines of dialogue that usually feel more like live poetry. Brutal, frantic and "free" this almost religious gathering, filled with iconography, starts and ends with blood - and a wheel that may or may not keep turning.

In some ways, it is a hard film to watch, especially as there may be genuine animal deaths on screen. Be warned! And while this did place a (potential?) bad taste in my mouth this is simply an incredible journey to watch. 

It is not stated in the film itself, but it is a recreation of "the living theatre" which existed in the 40s and onwards - and is meant as a meditation on freedom. This is very much felt. It feels both free and confined at the same time, wrapping itself in horror, circles, lines and madness. 9/10.

4. L'ordre (1973, Jean-Daniel Pollett)

I have mixed feelings about L'ordre. The actual interview so much centres around and returns to - with the unforgettable image of a man who's face has been ravaged by leprosy - carries an incredible amount of strength. 

However, the experimental element - that is the footage of the place he - and others afflicted by leprosy used to live - feels thin. We get a line early on, where he says so many people have come and documented their experience and everyone just uses them for their own aim. It kinda feels like this is what Pollet is doing when he just takes his camera to go in and out a window (on repeat) or just runs down a hall. 

At the same time, it does feel like strong and beautiful contemplation on the illness, the history and the real experience of those afflicted with it. Centering it within the walls they lived - and asking questions of whether or not locking them away actually gave them more freedom, is powerful and interesting - I just can't decide to which degree it is self-indulgent, and to which degree this fits the actual mood/experience presented. 7.5/10.

5. Sink or Swim (1990, Su Friedrich)

A beautiful and stripped back tale of growing up - narrated to juxtaposed, black and white footage, that is frequently stunning. We follow the story of a young girl (possibly Friedrich herself) and her relationship to her father. It is told in the form of "The girl", later "The woman" and "The girl's father" - and it has a poetic and very visceral force of resonance, even with the abstractions. The stories are clear and touching, while the images, staring with conception and wonderful footage of a fetus, takes us on her journey - as the images bring the tale to life.

6. Jonaki (2018, Aditya Vikram Sengupta)

*I was not sure of whether or not I should count Jonaki here, but its almost plotless landscape of meditation, set-pieces and memories, put it into the avant-garde category for me.

Jonaki very much captures the feeling of a wasteland, a unique world crumbling on top of itself, disappearing - my mind drifts to Sukorov, and his more experimental work. The visuals are beautiful, but also a little vacant. 

I will say though, that there is a resonating conflict, revealed at the end, that does make what we have seen come together more than you'd originally think. At face value this is a world where people turn into trees, and fruit covers corridors. The poetic exit does centre the film a little more, and offers a key.

At the same time, while I was swept up in its beauty, I don't think it held itself together as well as it should - mixing contemplation/poetry - with the odd, minimalist almost reverse-Tetsuo vibe. I simply did not find this seemingly central theme or its execution that satisfying - though it is at all times an enjoyable film, and, with its conclusion comes together quite well. 7/10.

7. Circumstantial Pleasures (2020, Lewis Klahr)
*Caught this due to Insomnius' strong recommendation.

This is very timely mediation of news, politics and events: only with no actual dialogue - only cut-out art, images and animation - cutting it all together into rhymes - that frankly feels far more lyrical than the film above boasting about it in its very name.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the short, out of place segment Insomnius mentions - it is a beautiful "visual effect" - that uses the real world to look at a city - and how it changes form and is structured. Would have worked even better as an opener/closer - but I'm not complaining.

The climax, is the titular segment itself, it is the only one with anything beyond sound effects - using lyrics and music from the great Scott Walker to bring the concept to life in even stronger colours and punch.

It's a beautiful work, though the meditation itself could have been just a little clearer - the experimental and rhythmic does take residence over poetry - but it is all connected and provides a thoroughly great experience. 8/10.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Doing a sheeky day 2 screenshot which places yours truly in an unlikely 2nd place.

Participants
Rank Participant Count Features Shorts Reviews
1 jeroeno 12 9 18 -
2 St. Gloede 7 7 - 7
3 Insonius 6 6 - 6
3.5 Perception de Ambiguity 4 4 +11 2
4 klaus78 4 0 26 -
4 Prodigalgodson 4 4 - 4
4 sol 4 4 - 4
8 peeptoad 2 2 - -
9 maxwelldeux 1 1 - 1
10 hurluburlu 1 1 - -

Also notice the experimental .5 score for Perception, as perceptions are not as they may appear. He already has 11 shorts waiting for the final tally.

Big congratulations to Klaus as well, who with just 4 points has managed to see more titles than everyone else.
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

St. Gloede wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 4:08 pm 7. Circumstantial Pleasures (2020, Lewis Klahr)
*Caught this due to Prodigal's strong recommendation.
Unless I'm missing something, I think you mixed us up (in the table above too). Glad you liked the film anyway. :thumbsup:
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

This is such a fuzzy category that this challenge may have a problem coming off. Saying "no narrative films" draws a strong line, but that may not be fair.

I've already seen two films this month that I'm comfortable calling avant-garde/experimental:

1. The Catherine Wheel (1982, feature)
2. Solstice (1971, 35-minute short)

But I'm bound to see plenty of gray-area films during a month...like, I already saw "Il Caso Valdemar"(1936), a daring, silent horror short that certainly feels experimental despite being based on a linear Edgar Allan Poe story. Hmm.
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Thank you for hosting one of the most eagerly awaited challenges of the year, Gloede!

(Scereenshots from 'Les Situs heureux', 'Dagboek', 'Et Resurrectus Est', 'Lacrima Christi', 'À la recherche du lieu de ma naissance' & 'Ne croyez surtout pas que je hurle'),

All that I see is without origin, and
yet it is the origin I am looking for.
The origin of an instant, like everything
I see right now, all that is out
of reach to me, all that I felt is
too distant, invisible.
(Boris Lehman)

1. Les Situs heureux (Alain Montesse, 1970-78) 8.5/10
*. Bugey pour mémoire (Alain Montesse, 1971) 7/10 (7 min)

ImageImageImage

2. Dagboek (Diary, Johan van der Keuken, 1972) 9/10
3. De nieuwe ijstijd (The New Ice Age, Johan van der Keuken, 1974-79) 9/10
4. De tijd (Time, Johan van der Keuken, 1983) 8/10

*. She Is Away (R. Bruce Elder, 1976) 7.5/10 (13 min)
*. Permutations and Combinations (R. Bruce Elder, 1976) 7/10 (7 min)
*. Sweet Love Remembered (R. Bruce Elder, 1980) 7.5/10 (12 min)
*. 1857 (Fool's Gold) (R. Bruce Elder, 1981) 8.5/10 (25 min)
5. Lamentations a Monument for the Dead World (R. Bruce Elder, 1985) 9/10
*. Work in Progress from Consolations (Love Is an Art of Time) (R. Bruce Elder, 1988) 7/10 (23 min)
6. Et Resurrectus Est (R. Bruce Elder, 1994) 8.5/10

*. Liberté Provisoire (Teo Hernandez, 1977) 8.5/10 (23 min)
*. Corps Aboli (Teo Hernandez, 1978) 9/10 (16 min)
7. Cristaux (Teo Hernandez, 1978) 10/10
*. Tables d'hiver (Teo Hernandez, 1979) 9/10 (29 min)
8. Lacrima Christi (Teo Hernandez, 1980) 9.5/10
*. Gong (Teo Hernandez, 1981) 9.5/10 (39 min)
*. Sacré-Coeur (Teo Hernandez, 1983) 8/10 (17 min)
*. Pas de ciel (Teo Hernandez, 1987) /8.5/10 (29 min)

ImageImageImageImage

9. Magnum Begynasium Bruxellense (Boris Lehman, 1978) 8.5/10
10. Couple, regards, positions (Boris Lehman & Nadine Wandel, 1983) 8/10
11. À la recherche du lieu de ma naissance (Looking for My Birthplace, Boris Lehman, 1990) 8/10

12. Compilation, 12 instants d'amour non partagé (Compilation, 12 Moments of Unshared Love, Frank Beauvais, 2007) 7.5/10
13. Ne croyez surtout pas que je hurle (Just Don't Think I'll Scream, Frank Beauvais, 2019) 8/10

14-16 * (A collection of shorts) (Total: 240 min)

So far, 13 features, 12 shorts
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

jdidaco wrote: February 4th, 2021, 3:53 am Thank you for hosting one of the most eagerly awaited challenges of the year, Gloede!

*. She Is Away (R. Bruce Elder, 1976) 7.5/10 (13 min)
*. Permutations and Combinations (R. Bruce Elder, 1976) 7/10 (7 min)
*. Sweet Love Remembered (R. Bruce Elder, 1980) 7.5/10 (12 min)
*. 1857 (Fool's Gold) (R. Bruce Elder, 1981) 8.5/10 (25 min)
5. Lamentations a Monument for the Dead World (R. Bruce Elder, 1985) 9/10
*. Work in Progress from Consolations (Love Is an Art of Time) (R. Bruce Elder, 1988) 7/10 (23 min)
Would you have any idea how to see a super-short Elder film called "Trace"?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

1. Blue (1993)
2. Limite (1931)
3. Heart of a Dog (2015)
4. Doggiewoggiez! Poochiewoochiez! (2012)
5. Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One (1968)

This is a conceptually interesting project, full of creative cutting (sometimes we see two or three screens at once) as well as meta discussion like never being able to know whether somebody is acting or being themselves in a documentary. I found this a bit uneven though; everything feels all-over-the-place while certain bits and pieces (the crew interacting with a homeless man near the end) felt odd. Did like the idea of reshooting something endlessly though.
Image Image Image
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

1. Oskar Fischinger
*. München-Berlin Wanderung (1927) 3/5
*. Seelische Konstruktionen (1927) 2/5
*. Wachsexperimente (1927) 4/5
*. Studie Nr. 6 (1930) 3/5
*. Studie Nr. 7 (1931) 2/5
*. Kreise (1933) 2/5
*. Allegretto (1936) 2/5
*. An Optical Poem (1937) 4+/5
*. Color Rhythm (1942) 3/5
*. Motion Painting No. 1 (1947) 4/5
Spoiler
Images above from An Optical Poem which is a geometric visual delight intended to convey mental images of music. It is synchronized with the delightful Liszt's "Second Hungarian Rhapsody". Images below from the atmospheric and strangely beautiful Wachsexperimente which documents melting wax.
Spoiler
Last edited by Dolwphin on February 4th, 2021, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

13. Golven (Annette Apon)

Plus some viewings from Georgia Institute of Technology's Experimental Film and Media:

14. Traité de bave et d'éternité (Isidore Isou)
15. Studie Nr. 7 (Oskar Fischinger, 3 min)
Mothlight (Stan Brakhage, 4 min)
Ballet mécanique (Fernand Léger, 19 min)
Synchromy (Norman McLaren, 7 min)
7362 (Pat O'Neill, 10 min)
Dollar Dance (Norman McLaren, 5 min)
Three Transitions (Peter Campus, 5 min)
Muratti greift ein (Oskar Fischinger, 3 min)
Lasso (Salla Tykkä, 4 min)
Poemfield n°2 (Stan Vanderbeek, 6 min)
Meshes of the Afternoon (Maya Daren, Alexander Hammid, 14 min)
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Ebbywebby wrote:Would you have any idea how to see a super-short Elder film called "Trace"?
Sorry, no, I couldn't find it either.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

insomnius wrote: February 4th, 2021, 12:02 am
St. Gloede wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 4:08 pm 7. Circumstantial Pleasures (2020, Lewis Klahr)
*Caught this due to Prodigal's strong recommendation.
Unless I'm missing something, I think you mixed us up (in the table above too). Glad you liked the film anyway. :thumbsup:
Sorry about that, seems I even counted Prodigal despite not participating. :facepalm:

Thank you for the recommendation, and fixed above.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Ebbywebby wrote: February 4th, 2021, 12:58 am This is such a fuzzy category that this challenge may have a problem coming off. Saying "no narrative films" draws a strong line, but that may not be fair.
It does not say "no narrative films", it says "try not to include narrative arthouse films", with the clear note that if there is any leeway whatsoever the film will be accepted on participant discretion.

There are narrative films that could be accepted as experimental, such as the discussed case of Lady of the Lake, and there are of course plenty of experimental films with a narrative/narrative elements. The note is to restrain just how broad the gray area can be, i.e. including any arthouse film, and pushing the focus towards films that are more clearly in the expermental/avant-garde category.

In general, I don't think it should be too hard. There is a decent number of lists to draw inspiration from above, and a good number of recognized experimental/avant-garde directors.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

St. Gloede wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:01 am The note is to restrain just how broad the gay area can be
Heh.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Ebbywebby wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:55 am
St. Gloede wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:01 am The note is to restrain just how broad the gay area can be
Heh.
:D :facepalm:
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

shorts (86min)
3a. Mothlight (1963) 4min 8
3b. Window Water Baby Moving (1959) 13min 7
3c. Byt (1968) 13min 7
3d. Projekt (1981) 6min 9
3e. Animated Self Portraits (1989) 8min 6
3f. The Alphabet (1969) 4min 7
3g. Ménilmontant (1926) 38min 9
empirical noise
1. Visa de censure n°X (1967) 8
2. Begotten (1990) 7
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

sol wrote: February 1st, 2021, 11:49 am
1. Blue (1993)
2. Limite (1931)

There are some remarkable shots here - most notably an extreme low camera angle that looks up at two passersby. The memory blur structure also gives the project a dreamlike quality. That said, the lack of clear-cut answers here is more frustrating than enchanting. There are only three title cards, all towards the end in a single memory sequence; this might have done better without title cards altogether. The despair here, after all, needs no words.
In my top 10 films, fully associate with the last 8 words. It's not clear what exactly the plot is but does it matter, it's about bad luck, loneliness, being haunted by memories, injustice, hunger, ennui, the implacability and imparitality of nature.

Be fun to see someone reedit the material, create a narrative and intertitles, and see how much is lost.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

matthewscott8 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 12:28 pm Be fun to see someone reedit the material, create a narrative and intertitles, and see how much is lost.
That would be intriguing. Sounds a fun experiment, sort of the like chronological order special cut of Memento. But yeah, agreed that the effect wouldn't be the same.
Image Image Image
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

Lost Pictures Found
[37 min] Lost Book Found (1996, a film/video by Jem Cohen) 6+
With the uncommitted rigor of a pushcart vendor in need of filling the patches of boredom on the job in the Big Apple we play detective and philosophize to nobody but ourselves in the manner of our favorite Film Noir heroes. Within the relics of ephemeral city life we search and hope for some nexus pregnant with meaning, a quest to solidify the spirits. With damped brouhaha and a sense of mystery we soak in the aura of NYC streets until maybe we can still get out of the city, but we can't get the city out of us. One of those films that evoked the feeling of late-night TV watching for me as a kid, a memory so distant it's not a memory anymore, but merely a memory of its recollections.

[13 min] Lost and Found Films: ● Delay Exposure, ● EE Control, ● Vibration (1986 Summer, Toshio Matsumoto) 4

[17 min] The Plague Summer (1953, Chester Kessler) 3

[13 min] La mort du cerf / Une chasse à courre / Death of a Stag (1951, Dimitri Kirsanoff) 4-

[3 min] Celery Stalks at Midnight (1951, John Whitney Sr.) 6

Bruine Squamma (1977, Claudine Eizykman) 6-
Repetitious layers tear apart spacetime in pulsating frenzy to reveal abstract realms.

Closed Vision (Close Vision) (Sixty Minutes in the Interior Life of a Man) (English-sound version) (1954, Marc'O) 3
Self-glorified Dada delivered in beat poetry cadence.

puis et avant / then and before
I Ici et maintenant / Here and Now (1968, Serge Bard) 6-
II Perret in Frankreich und Algerien / Perret in France and Algeria (2012, Heinz Emigholz) 7
III Wheel of Ashes (1968, Peter Emmanuel Goldman) 8
IV Okeanos (painted) (1972-2008, Myron Ort) 7
V Bruine Squamma (1977, Claudine Eizykman) 6-
VI Closed Vision (Close Vision) (Sixty Minutes in the Interior Life of a Man) (English-sound version) (1954, Marc'O) 3

piecemeals awaiting their final count:
[18 min] Battements solaires (2008, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 7+ (from 6)
[9 min] Le canard à l'orange (2002, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 6-
[1 min] Television de chambre (1984, Patrick Bokanowski) 7-
[4 min] L'envol / Soar (2018, Patrick Bokanowski) 6
[6 min] Au bord du lac (1994, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 7 (from 3)
[12 min] Déjeuner du matin / Breakfast (1974, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd+ viewing) 7
[18 min] La Femme qui se poudre / The Woman Who Powders Herself (1974, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd+ viewing) 6
[4 min] Flammes (1998, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 7-
[5 min] Éclats d'Orphée (2002, Patrick Bokanowski) (2nd viewing) 3
[37 min] Lost Book Found (1996, a film/video by Jem Cohen) 6+
[13 min] Lost and Found Films: ● Delay Exposure, ● EE Control, ● Vibration (1986 Summer, Toshio Matsumoto) 4
[17 min] The Plague Summer (1953, Chester Kessler) 3
[13 min] La mort du cerf / Une chasse à courre / Death of a Stag (1951, Dimitri Kirsanoff) 4-
[3 min] Celery Stalks at Midnight (1951, John Whitney Sr.) 6
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 7th, 2021, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
lynchs

Post by lynchs »

jd in experimental? That's new(s) to me, I always thought you were more into b-horror movies :turned:

:cheers:
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

lynchs wrote: February 4th, 2021, 3:23 pm jd in experimental? That's new(s) to me, I always thought you were more into b-horror movies :turned:

:lol: Go watch Netflix! :P

Acabei de ver os Richard Myers... TOP!!!

lynchs

Post by lynchs »

All (3) Myers? (l) (l) (l)

Netflix :worship:
klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 »

Spoiler
1.-2. Masterworks of American Avant-garde Experimental Film 1920-1970
Poem 8 (1932) 5/10
Tarantella (1940) 7/10
1941 (1941) 6/10
3.-4. By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volume Two
The Dead (1960) 7/10
Scenes from Under Childhood Section #1 (1969) 8/10
The Machine of Eden (1970) 8/10
Star Garden (1974) 6/10
Desert (1976) 8/10
The Process (1972) 7/10
Burial Path (1978) 6/10
5. Masterworks of American Avant-garde Experimental Film 1920-1970 [3]
In the Street (1948) [rewatch] 6/10
Four in the Afternoon (1951) 6/10
Abstronic (1952) 7/10
Bells of Atlantis (1952) 8/10
Eaux d'artifice (1953) [rewatch] 8/10
Evolution (1954) 7/10
Gyromorphosis (1954) 7/10
Hurry Hurry (1957) 5/10
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

2. Pravda (Jean-Luc Godard/Groupe Dziga Vertov, Paul Burron, 1970) 6-

Spoiler
3. Film Socialisme (Jean-Luc Godard, 2010) 7

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage