Pictured: '22 Mei' and 'The Forbidden Quest'
Watch movies from Benelux countries during February 2021. Discuss them.
Each of these countries have a very large number of co-productions. I would ask you to think carefully about whether you think that any co-productions really represent Benelux cinema.
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.
- Films must be watched one at a time and at single speed (not sped up).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- Please include year of release when listing your viewings.
- Please indicate each film's country when listing your viewings otherwise your score will NOT be included in the leaderboard.
I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.
Final results will be posted between 2:30pm and 4:30pm GMT on March 2 - at which point it will have been March everywhere in the world for more than a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's March on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges?
- Belgium Film Awards
- Dutch Film Festival Top 50 (2008)
- Nederlands Film Festival - Gouden Kalf
- Benelux Official List Films
- Belgian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Dutch submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Luxembourgian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Dutch Film Festival Top 50 (1999)
- Native Films made in Luxembourg
- ICM Forum's Favourite Benelux Films
- Benelux recommendations from Onderhond
This Challenge has been run once before in an Official capacity (and two more times in conjunction with a Nordic Challenge).
2019 Benelux Challenge - hosted by sol and won by jeroeno with 65 points
2016 Benelux/Nordic Challenge - hosted by 3eyes and won by PeacefulAnarchy with 36 points
2014 Benelux/Nordic Challenge - hosted by Buksemannen and won by Buksemannen with 32 points
Last time participants saw slightly more Belgian than Dutch films with Belgium winning by less than 5 points. I'll be keeping track so it will be interesting to see if we can reverse things this year. I will be maintaining an evolving pie chart during the challenge like in this example.
This thread will be updated at least once every 48 hours (more often if I am around and feel like it). Please list new films seen in a new post.
Bonus Challenge 1: Watch 22 Mei from Belgium and The Forbidden Quest from the Netherlands.
Bonus Challenge 2: Get something in every column below... except the last column. The only way to do this is by watching both of sol's recommendations, as well as something from Luxembourg and remembering to list the country with every viewing.
Any points in the "undeclared" column will not count towards your final score. You must declare the country when listing your viewings.
|Rank||Participant||Count||Saw 22M ?||Saw TFQ ?||Be||Ne||Lux||Undeclared|