Pictured: 'Scream 2' and 'At Play in the Fields of the Lord'
Watch as many movies from the 1990s (according to IMDb) as you can from October 1, 2020 to October 31, 2020.
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 120 minutes of television episodes counts as one entry
- Miniseries: 40min+ eps = 1pt; other eps must add up to 60min
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- Please include year of release when listing your viewings.
Fair play (adapted from albajos)
- Remember this is a community event, so participating is not only about listing titles. If you post early, this gives the other participants suggestions for their own viewings and it brings the community closer together.
- If you're in the top 5 please post at least once every three days.
- I will not allow anyone to enter the top 5 during the final three days with their first post.
I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.
Final results will be posted between 2:30pm and 3:00pm GMT on November 2 - at which point it will have been November everywhere in the world for more than a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's November on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges?
Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further:
- IMDb 1990s Top 50
- OFCS Top 100 Overlooked Films of the 1990s
- iCM's Favourite Films of the 1990s
- BFI's 90 Great Films of the 1990s
- Kino's 100 Best Films of 1990s
- Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Movies of the Nineties
This Challenge has been held once before in an Official capacity:
2012 Challenge - hosted by Nopros and won by Nopros with 64 points
A similar (1990s+21C) challenge has been held once before:
2018 Challenge - hosted by 72aicm and won by albajos with 160 points
There will be an AWARDS CEREMONY at the end of the Challenge. See this example if you're unsure what I am talking about.
This thread will be updated at least once every 48 hours (more often if I am around and feel like it). Please list new films seen in a new post.
Bonus Challenge #1: Watch some long films during this challenge. There are some great movies out there that are 135 mins or longer* and which hardly get watched in these Challenges because it is difficult to rack up points by watching them. This is an opt-in challenge. I don't have the spare time to look up the runtimes for the hundreds of movies that will be posted on this thread, so if you want to play, you'll need to state the runtime next your viewing.
Bonus Challenge #2: Watch At Play in the Fields of the Lord by Hector Babenco, one of these great films with a dauntingly long runtime.