Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 18 released October 8th)
4th ICM Film Festival Jury Recruiting (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)

Polls: 500<400 (Results), 1960s (Oct 30), 1966 (Nov 15)
Challenges: Horror, 1990s, Southeast Asia
Film of the Week: S21, la machine de mort khmère rouge, November nominations (Oct 30th)
World Cup S4: SF Schedule, Match SFA: India vs Poland (Nov 5th)

Horror Challenge (Official, October 2020)

Post Reply
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

Horror Challenge (Official, October 2020)

#1

Post by maxwelldeux » September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm

The Official 2020 Horror Challenge!


Image


Goal.
Watch as many movies as you can that fit into the horror genre. Maybe engage in a little resilience training during COVID-19 season. If you are in doubt whether a movie counts or not, just ask.

Rules.
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series/TV series, the standard 40/60 rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed.

Challenge runs from DUSK 30 September 2020 - SUNRISE 1 November 2020.

iCM Lists.
They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?
Top 500 Horror Movies
IMDb Top 50 Horror
BFI's 100 European Horror Films

Other Lists.
iCM Forum's Top 250 Favourite Horror Films
TSZDT 1001-2000
TSZDT - Hidden Horrors
Holiday Horror List
CriterionForum Lists Project - Horror
Slant's The 50 Greatest Horror Movies of the 21st Century
1SO's List of Top Horror
iCM Forum's Highest Rated Horror Movies
Official Non-TSZDT Horror Films
21st Century’s Most Acclaimed Horror Films

Triples (please verify):
https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?genres= ... =1990-1999

I'm open to more suggestions for lists.

Bonus challenges!
We have four bonus challenges again this year. The first two are passive - everyone will be playing as I'm collecting the data myself. For the other two, I’ll be tracking things manually, so if you want to play, please use the appropriate hashtags to indicate which bonus challenge your film counts for. When posting screenshots, please put them in a spoiler tag to make the thread a bit more readable. Also, a film may count for multiple bonus challenges, but not for multiple entries within that bonus challenge.

Bonus Challenge #1: Kill the Zombies!
This is a group challenge for survival. We must slay as many zombies as we can! To kill a zombie, all you have to do is watch a film from the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? official list. The more we kill, the more likely we are to make it to November.

495 Zombies Slain Link to table
Bonus challenges #2: Decades of Death
Can you make it through a hundred years of horror? Watch a film from each decade, 1920s-2020s. Complete that list? Do it again! What else are you going to do - go outside?
Decades of DeathShow
Name Rounds Complete Count of Decades
1SO 0 10
72aicm 0 9
AB537 0 10
adwest 2 11
allisoncm 0 8
AssonFire 0 9
blocho 0 6
blueboybob 0 7
ChrisReynolds 0 4
cinephage 0 10
clemmetarey 0 10
connordenney 0 2
Daviddoes 4 11
drayton_cross 1 11
DudeLanez 2 11
explorer95 0 3
filmbantha 0 5
flavo5000 2 11
frbrown 1 11
Good_Will_Harding 0 10
greenhorg 0 8
GruesomeTwosome 0 5
Harco 0 4
hurluberlu 0 4
India Istanbul 0 6
jdidaco 0 9
kingink 0 7
klaus78 0 9
Knaldskalle 0 4
Kublai Khan 0 10
Leopardi 0 8
Lonewolf2003 0 8
maxwelldeux 0 8
Melvelet 0 2
mightysparks 1 11
morrison-dylan-fan 0 5
OldAle1 2 11
Onderhond 0 3
ororama 2 11
outdoorcats 0 4
peeptoad 1 11
psychotronicbeatnik 1 11
RogerTheMovieManiac88 0 6
sebby 0 8
sennaho 0 2
SeVKiTT 0 1
shugs 0 3
sol 1 11
VincentPrice 0 8
vortexsurfer 0 9
weirdboy 0 8
zzzorf 0 10

Bonus challenges #3: The Deathlist
With oodles of deaths a staple of the horror genre, we should delve deeply into the ways our on-screen actors and actresses may die. Watch films where people die in 13 unique ways. Screenshots welcome, but not required. Use #DEATHLIST and the number to play.
  1. Death by Disease
  2. Death by Gunshot
  3. Death by Stabbing
  4. Death by Strangulation
  5. Death by Falling
  6. Death by Fire
  7. Death by Being Buried Alive
  8. Death by Random Makeshift Weapon
  9. Death by Animal/Creature
  10. Death by Machine
  11. Death by Poisoning
  12. Death by Drowning
  13. Death by Natural Causes
#DEATHLISTShow
Witness Deaths Observed
AB537 1
adwest 13
allisoncm 5
blocho 4
blueboybob 2
ChrisReynolds 13
cinephage 10
Daviddoes 11
drayton_cross 11
frbrown 9
kingink 9
Kublai Khan 13
Lonewolf2003 12
maxwelldeux 11
Melvelet 2
mightysparks 8
sol 13
zzzorf 11

Bonus challenges #4: A Horrific Game of Bingo
Who loves those common horror tropes? If you do, you may want to play a round of bingo with us. We’ll use a 4x4 bingo card – the columns are horror subgenres, the rows are horror clichés. See the table below. Use #BINGO and the cell number to play.
A. Slashers B. Vampires C. Monsters D. Zombies
1. Human Behaving Irrationally A1 B1 C1 D1
2. Creepy Basement/Cellar A2 B2 C2 D2
3. Falling Down While Running A3 B3 C3 D3
4. Phone Won't Call A4 B4 C4 D4

#BINGOShow
Jigsaw Impersonator Bingo Card
adwest
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1111
2.1111
3.1111
4.1111
ChrisReynolds
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1110
2.1020
3.1010
4.0110
cinephage
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1111
2.1010
3.0000
4.1010
Daviddoes
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1111
2.1101
3.1111
4.1011
drayton_cross
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1111
2.1100
3.0100
4.1000
frbrown
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1011
2.0100
3.1000
4.0010
kingink
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1011
2.0100
3.1100
4.0000
Kublai Khan
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.0000
2.1111
3.0100
4.0001
Lonewolf2003
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1001
2.1000
3.0000
4.0001
maxwelldeux
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1111
2.1111
3.1111
4.1101
mightysparks
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.0000
2.0010
3.0000
4.0000
sol
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.1110
2.1111
3.1110
4.1111
zzzorf
SpoilerShow
A.B.C.D.
1.0111
2.1010
3.0001
4.0001

Bonus Challenge #5: Your Personal Halloween Film Festival
I don't know if y'all have noticed, but Halloween this year falls on a Saturday. There's a full moon. It's a blue moon. And we're in the middle of a global pandemic and you shouldn't leave your damn house anyway. So you know what we need? Our own personal film festival.

You were probably going to watch movies anyway, so why not make it a theme? Just title your post-Hallowen post something like "Halloween Film Festival" and tell us about your theme. It can be funny. Scary. Morbid. Whatever you want. Bonus points for creativity. All judged by your devastatingly handsome challenge host. :P

Simple rules:
- Tell us your theme
- At least two films to qualify for a film festival
- Films must be watched from 12:00am 31 Oct (your local time) to dawn on Nov. 1st.
- All other numbering/rules apply as normal.
The Possessed.

Rank Participant Count
1 flavo5000 209
2 adwest 132
3 blueboybob 111
4 Daviddoes 106
5 psychotronicbeatnik 105
6 1SO 100
7 VincentPrice 96
8 sebby 83
9 sol 79
10 ororama 74
10 OldAle1 74
12 weirdboy 69
13 Leopardi 67
14 vortexsurfer 58
15 Good_Will_Harding 57
16 peeptoad 51
17 jdidaco 50
18 Lonewolf2003 49
19 maxwelldeux 47
20 AB537 42
21 DudeLanez 41
22 AssonFire 37
22 zzzorf 37
24 mightysparks 36
25 kingink 35
25 clemmetarey 35
27 cinephage 33
27 drayton_cross 33
29 Kublai Khan 31
30 filmbantha 30
31 klaus78 29
31 ChrisReynolds 29
33 allisoncm 27
34 RogerTheMovieManiac88 25
34 72aicm 25
36 outdoorcats 23
37 greenhorg 22
38 frbrown 20
38 shugs 20
38 Harco 20
41 India Istanbul 17
42 GruesomeTwosome 16
43 Onderhond 14
44 blocho 11
45 morrison-dylan-fan 9
46 hurluberlu 8
47 sennaho 7
47 explorer95 7
49 Knaldskalle 6
50 Melvelet 4
50 connordenney 4
52 SeVKiTT 1
Last edited by maxwelldeux on October 25th, 2020, 7:22 pm, edited 30 times in total.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator
Posts: 1881
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Oregon
Contact:

#2

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » September 27th, 2020, 12:10 am

:woot: I'm drooling already.

User avatar
VincentPrice
Posts: 4384
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Maine
Contact:

#3

Post by VincentPrice » September 27th, 2020, 12:43 am

The best challenge of the year!

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9893
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#4

Post by sol » September 27th, 2020, 12:50 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Complete that list? Do it again! What else are you going to do - go outside?
:lol:
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Bonus challenges #3: The Deathlist
With oodles of deaths a staple of the horror genre, we should delve deeply into the ways our on-screen actors and actresses may die. Watch films where people die in 13 unique ways. Screenshots welcome, but not required. Use #DEATHLIST and the number to play.
I like it... but what if the deaths are spoilerish? :shrug:
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Rules.
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series/TV series, the standard 40/60 rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed.
Since you're being super-relaxed on TV, does every episode of The X Files count as one point? I don't know if all of the eps themselves necessarily qualify as horror, but the series on the whole certainly does.

I still haven't decided whether I'm going to rewatch the series. It is something that I have been meaning to do for a while. :unsure:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#5

Post by maxwelldeux » September 27th, 2020, 1:10 am

sol wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 12:50 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Bonus challenges #3: The Deathlist
With oodles of deaths a staple of the horror genre, we should delve deeply into the ways our on-screen actors and actresses may die. Watch films where people die in 13 unique ways. Screenshots welcome, but not required. Use #DEATHLIST and the number to play.
I like it... but what if the deaths are spoilerish? :shrug:
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Rules.
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series/TV series, the standard 40/60 rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed.
Since you're being super-relaxed on TV, does every episode of The X Files count as one point? I don't know if all of the eps themselves necessarily qualify as horror, but the series on the whole certainly does.

I still haven't decided whether I'm going to rewatch the series. It is something that I have been meaning to do for a while. :unsure:
On spoilerish deaths, use your judgment. If it's spoilerish, put it in spoiler tags and/or don't mention who.

On the X-Files, I'd never considered that a horror series, and IMDB doesn't have it tagged as such. I would certainly accept the episodes that quality as horror episodes, but not all on the whole.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31046
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#6

Post by mightysparks » September 27th, 2020, 1:11 am

:circle:

Not going to get many watched this year because I have a crap-load of massive assessments, but I hope to get 10-20 films in.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#7

Post by maxwelldeux » September 27th, 2020, 3:36 am

mightysparks wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 1:11 am
:circle:

Not going to get many watched this year because I have a crap-load of massive assessments, but I hope to get 10-20 films in.
And here I was hoping you were going to take up a hobby meth-habit and try and beat your record. :lol:

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31046
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#8

Post by mightysparks » September 27th, 2020, 3:46 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 3:36 am
mightysparks wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 1:11 am
:circle:

Not going to get many watched this year because I have a crap-load of massive assessments, but I hope to get 10-20 films in.
And here I was hoping you were going to take up a hobby meth-habit and try and beat your record. :lol:
Sadly I don't think I'll ever come close to beating my record. Except maybe when I'm old and have nothing else going on...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
1SO
Posts: 800
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

#9

Post by 1SO » September 27th, 2020, 4:59 am

I already started

or maybe, I never stopped.

User avatar
Daviddoes
Posts: 1311
Joined: Aug 06, 2012
Contact:

#10

Post by Daviddoes » September 27th, 2020, 5:35 am

I'm ready :banana: also I made a list of all Official Horror that isn't on TSZDT which I thought might come in handy as a reference for some people here https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/non- ... daviddoes/ I don't think it's perfect since I mostly used the horror tag to add everything and that tag is nowhere near perfect either :shrug:

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1978
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#11

Post by hurluberlu » September 27th, 2020, 11:04 am

hello, is it the cute little Amish boy challenge ?
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 3603
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

#12

Post by flavo5000 » September 27th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Image

YEEEAAAAA BOOOOOIIIIIIIII

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 3338
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#13

Post by 72aicm » September 27th, 2020, 1:27 pm

I’m in. Aiming for ten movies or so. Thanks for hosting Max.

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 3603
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

#14

Post by flavo5000 » September 27th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Daviddoes wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 5:35 am
I'm ready :banana: also I made a list of all Official Horror that isn't on TSZDT which I thought might come in handy as a reference for some people here https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/non- ... daviddoes/ I don't think it's perfect since I mostly used the horror tag to add everything and that tag is nowhere near perfect either :shrug:
I've been digging out a lot of these too but didn't have the foresight to actually create a list for them. One other place I looked was mighty's blep list which has every movie that showed up on a horror list that's a part of TSZDT which dug out a few others.
Here are some others to add to it:
-In addition to Invocation of My Demon Brother, two other Anger shorts Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome and Fireworks also have the horror tag.
-These three on the new Cinema Tropical list have the horror tag on imdb but doesn't show up on the ICM filter tags: Good Manners (2017) [As Boas Maneiras], Hard Labor (2011) [Trabalhar Cansa], La llorona (2019)
-King Kong (1976)
-Outside Satan (2011) [Hors Satan]
-The Baby of Mâcon (1993)
-Gasu ningen dai 1 gô a.k.a. The Human Vapor (1960)
-The Hut (1981) [Pimak]
-Chin gei bin a.k.a. Vampire Effect (2003)

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#15

Post by maxwelldeux » September 27th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Daviddoes wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 5:35 am
I'm ready :banana: also I made a list of all Official Horror that isn't on TSZDT which I thought might come in handy as a reference for some people here https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/non- ... daviddoes/ I don't think it's perfect since I mostly used the horror tag to add everything and that tag is nowhere near perfect either :shrug:
Added to OP. Thanks! :cheers:

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#16

Post by maxwelldeux » September 27th, 2020, 7:59 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:04 am
hello, is it the cute little Amish boy challenge ?
If by "cute" you mean creepy and scary and the reason I don't like kids in small towns, then yes.

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1978
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#17

Post by hurluberlu » September 27th, 2020, 8:10 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 7:59 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:04 am
hello, is it the cute little Amish boy challenge ?
If by "cute" you mean creepy and scary and the reason I don't like kids in small towns, then yes.
:D
Horror is not my thing hence the teasing but I'll catch up with a few
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3636
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#18

Post by blocho » September 28th, 2020, 1:48 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 7:59 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:04 am
hello, is it the cute little Amish boy challenge ?
If by "cute" you mean creepy and scary and the reason I don't like kids in small towns, then yes.
Don't you live in a small town? Must be tough walking around there.

But yes, I agree. Kids in a city are cool. Adults in a small town are cool. Kids in a small town are terrifying.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#19

Post by maxwelldeux » September 28th, 2020, 2:03 am

blocho wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 1:48 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 7:59 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:04 am
hello, is it the cute little Amish boy challenge ?
If by "cute" you mean creepy and scary and the reason I don't like kids in small towns, then yes.
Don't you live in a small town? Must be tough walking around there.

But yes, I agree. Kids in a city are cool. Adults in a small town are cool. Kids in a small town are terrifying.
Well, yes, but only kinda. Small town of ~10k, but a northern suburb of Seattle, so it doesn't quite have the small town middle-of-nowhere vibe.

I used to live in a small town of ~5k in the middle of nowhere - it was a 2.5 hour drive to an airport that flew to more than one city. It was... scary. Like I was pretty scared to go to a bar in the area wearing a pink shirt, lest someone think I was a British Cigarette and try to physically express their disapproval.

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3636
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#20

Post by blocho » September 28th, 2020, 2:32 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 2:03 am
I used to live in a small town of ~5k in the middle of nowhere - it was a 2.5 hour drive to an airport that flew to more than one city. It was... scary. Like I was pretty scared to go to a bar in the area wearing a pink shirt, lest someone think I was a British Cigarette and try to physically express their disapproval.
What about the kids in that tiny town? Scary as hell?

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#21

Post by maxwelldeux » September 28th, 2020, 3:44 am

blocho wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 2:32 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 2:03 am
I used to live in a small town of ~5k in the middle of nowhere - it was a 2.5 hour drive to an airport that flew to more than one city. It was... scary. Like I was pretty scared to go to a bar in the area wearing a pink shirt, lest someone think I was a British Cigarette and try to physically express their disapproval.
What about the kids in that tiny town? Scary as hell?
Yeah, it was hard to tell sometimes if the kids were just "outside playing" or "celebrating killing the last adult to become the leader of the church and we have a few hours to kill until our next human sacrifice to ensure a good corn harvest" :lol:

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31046
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#22

Post by mightysparks » September 28th, 2020, 1:26 pm

mightysparks wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 2:23 am
And here's a compilation I made from all the films (no TV):

I didn't even remember making this, but it's got me pumped. Also have one I did from 2015:



I'm sure I had another but I can't find it, maybe it got deleted :think:


Found it:

"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

sennaho
Posts: 320
Joined: Nov 03, 2012
Contact:

#23

Post by sennaho » September 28th, 2020, 2:03 pm

I’m ready to watch a few! Porbably not gonna get anywhere near my record, but I’ll try to get in a few! I like the challenges as well! This is basically the part of the year when I remember to check this forum!

Haven’t watched many horror movies this year, so hopefully I’ll get in a few this year!

allisoncm
Posts: 16706
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#24

Post by allisoncm » September 28th, 2020, 3:39 pm

I'm in! Dusk Sept. 30th? Okay.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5088
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#25

Post by OldAle1 » September 28th, 2020, 4:20 pm

I'm in. No idea how many I'll watch but I will definitely be catching a bunch of Indonesian, Filipino and Thai flicks, probably doing another marathon series (I did Elm Street, Crystal Lake, and the Bates motel the last three years), probably finishing off or coming close to finishing off the classic Universal and/or Hammer stuff, maybe getting through the few films from the TSZ top 100 that I haven't seen. Dunno. Certainly not going to make a run for the top but may try to best my personal record which I think might be just over 100.

User avatar
Harco
Donator
Posts: 520
Joined: May 03, 2013
Location: Groningen
Contact:

#26

Post by Harco » September 28th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Going to try and watch the Ju-on/Grudge franchise in October, so count me in.
:ICM: | :letbxd:

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#27

Post by maxwelldeux » September 28th, 2020, 9:52 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 4:20 pm
I'm in. No idea how many I'll watch but I will definitely be catching a bunch of Indonesian, Filipino and Thai flicks, probably doing another marathon series (I did Elm Street, Crystal Lake, and the Bates motel the last three years), probably finishing off or coming close to finishing off the classic Universal and/or Hammer stuff, maybe getting through the few films from the TSZ top 100 that I haven't seen. Dunno. Certainly not going to make a run for the top but may try to best my personal record which I think might be just over 100.
The Shake, Rattle, and Roll series is Filipino and mostly from the 1990s if you want to kill multiple birds with one stone... :whistling:

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5088
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#28

Post by OldAle1 » September 28th, 2020, 10:14 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 9:52 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 4:20 pm
I'm in. No idea how many I'll watch but I will definitely be catching a bunch of Indonesian, Filipino and Thai flicks, probably doing another marathon series (I did Elm Street, Crystal Lake, and the Bates motel the last three years), probably finishing off or coming close to finishing off the classic Universal and/or Hammer stuff, maybe getting through the few films from the TSZ top 100 that I haven't seen. Dunno. Certainly not going to make a run for the top but may try to best my personal record which I think might be just over 100.
The Shake, Rattle, and Roll series is Filipino and mostly from the 1990s if you want to kill multiple birds with one stone... :whistling:
I know about those but don't know how to get them - the first one (from 1984 so no triple) is on YT but unsubbed and pretty bad looking. Second one, same thing. There are a few other things that have been easier to find so I dunno if I'll bother working on those.

User avatar
Daviddoes
Posts: 1311
Joined: Aug 06, 2012
Contact:

#29

Post by Daviddoes » September 29th, 2020, 12:33 am

flavo5000 wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 1:37 pm
I've been digging out a lot of these too but didn't have the foresight to actually create a list for them. One other place I looked was mighty's blep list which has every movie that showed up on a horror list that's a part of TSZDT which dug out a few others.
Here are some others to add to it:
-In addition to Invocation of My Demon Brother, two other Anger shorts Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome and Fireworks also have the horror tag.
-These three on the new Cinema Tropical list have the horror tag on imdb but doesn't show up on the ICM filter tags: Good Manners (2017) [As Boas Maneiras], Hard Labor (2011) [Trabalhar Cansa], La llorona (2019)
-King Kong (1976)
-Outside Satan (2011) [Hors Satan]
-The Baby of Mâcon (1993)
-Gasu ningen dai 1 gô a.k.a. The Human Vapor (1960)
-The Hut (1981) [Pimak]
-Chin gei bin a.k.a. Vampire Effect (2003)
Thanks for the help with those additions :cheers: . Funnily enough I was going to make it a private list that only had my unchecked films on it, but there was a glitch when I chose to make it a private list and it went public. I didn't realize that it had glitched until I noticed that someone had watchlisted and I realized it would be a good list to add to the community :lol:

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#30

Post by maxwelldeux » September 29th, 2020, 2:07 am

OldAle1 wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 10:14 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 9:52 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 4:20 pm
I'm in. No idea how many I'll watch but I will definitely be catching a bunch of Indonesian, Filipino and Thai flicks, probably doing another marathon series (I did Elm Street, Crystal Lake, and the Bates motel the last three years), probably finishing off or coming close to finishing off the classic Universal and/or Hammer stuff, maybe getting through the few films from the TSZ top 100 that I haven't seen. Dunno. Certainly not going to make a run for the top but may try to best my personal record which I think might be just over 100.
The Shake, Rattle, and Roll series is Filipino and mostly from the 1990s if you want to kill multiple birds with one stone... :whistling:
I know about those but don't know how to get them - the first one (from 1984 so no triple) is on YT but unsubbed and pretty bad looking. Second one, same thing. There are a few other things that have been easier to find so I dunno if I'll bother working on those.
Damn - you're right. 3 is on Prime, so I assumed the others were readily available. Alas, I was wrong.

User avatar
shugs
Donator
Posts: 595
Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Contact:

#31

Post by shugs » September 29th, 2020, 5:40 am

I'm in. Not really in the mood for nasty horror so I'll be focusing on old school Universal movies and other movies from that era.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9893
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#32

Post by sol » September 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Bonus Challenge #1: Kill the Zombies!
This is a group challenge for survival. We must slay as many zombies as we can! To kill a zombie, all you have to do is watch a film from the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? official list. The more we kill, the more likely we are to make it to November.
Been thinking about this. Couple of things:

1. Do you need us to indicate that the film is in the TSZDT canon? Might make your life easier.

2. Won't you exceed the character limit if we get to all 1000 titles (or even halfway there) under the spoiler tag?
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9893
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#33

Post by sol » September 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Oh, crap. Eligibility question already. :(

It seems that the "Horror" tag on IMDb has been removed from the film that I was planning to watch first for the Challenge:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7939766/

However, it is still tagged as Horror on iCM: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/im+ ... ng+things/

Obviously (?) I haven't seen it to judge. What do you think, max (or anyone else)? Does it count for the challenge?
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31046
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#34

Post by mightysparks » September 29th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Seems eligible to me. I usually just google the film name + horror and see what the general consensus is if I’m not sure and everyone seems to be discussing it as a psychological horror.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: DC
Contact:

#35

Post by blueboybob » September 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Yeah Ive seen it. Horror fits.

User avatar
cinephage
Donator
Posts: 4168
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Contact:

#36

Post by cinephage » September 29th, 2020, 4:50 pm

I'd vote for a wide definition of horror, I enjoy a little variety, even on one challenge... After you've seen it, if you really think it couldn't fit any definition of horror, you don't have to include it in the challenge, but if it fits, then that's ok.
There's even a youtube video discussing whether it is horror, or not. That would definitely make it horror in a large meaning in my book.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#37

Post by maxwelldeux » September 29th, 2020, 10:14 pm

sol wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Bonus Challenge #1: Kill the Zombies!
This is a group challenge for survival. We must slay as many zombies as we can! To kill a zombie, all you have to do is watch a film from the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? official list. The more we kill, the more likely we are to make it to November.
Been thinking about this. Couple of things:

1. Do you need us to indicate that the film is in the TSZDT canon? Might make your life easier.

2. Won't you exceed the character limit if we get to all 1000 titles (or even halfway there) under the spoiler tag?
1. That would be helpful, certainly!
2. Maybe/probably. But if we run into that issue, I'll adjust the way I'm presenting results. TBD.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 8350
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#38

Post by maxwelldeux » September 29th, 2020, 10:15 pm

sol wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm
Oh, crap. Eligibility question already. :(

It seems that the "Horror" tag on IMDb has been removed from the film that I was planning to watch first for the Challenge:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7939766/

However, it is still tagged as Horror on iCM: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/im+ ... ng+things/

Obviously (?) I haven't seen it to judge. What do you think, max (or anyone else)? Does it count for the challenge?
Consensus rules - it's in! :thumbsup:

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31046
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#39

Post by mightysparks » September 30th, 2020, 3:31 am

FYI: the link in the OP for Hidden Horrors points to last year's list, this is the list for this year: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls098757377/ and icm: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/tszd ... htysparks/. Also the The 21st Century’s Most Acclaimed Horror Films list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+ ... htysparks/.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3636
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#40

Post by blocho » September 30th, 2020, 4:01 am

I'd like to take this opportunity to promote a ten-minute horror short that a friend of mine made that is called Misguided. You can see it here for free. I'm biased, but I think it's excellent.

If you like Misguided, you can find three more shorts he's made (all 2-6 minutes) on his website here, though none of them are on icm yet. If nothing else, his website is a lot of fun because it contains some tongue-in-cheek reviews he writes about horror movies in the guise of a character called P.G. Hauntedhouse.

Post Reply