Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Roar, July nominations (Jun 25th)

2021 Challenges: Preliminary Poll #2

Which of these challenge ideas would you like to see voted for in the final poll?

Poll ended at September 26th, 2020, 3:54 am

Action and Adventure
11%
Actor/Actress Linking
4%
Banned Films/Video Nasty
5%
Birth Year
4%
Disabilities
1%
In Competition at Cannes
8%
Justice (trials, lawyers, social justice, political systems)
5%
Kids and Family
2%
Long Features - over 135mins
7%
Mystery/Thriller
11%
Non-human animal as protagonist/focal point
3%
NSFW: R18+, NC-17 and Unrated (excluding XXX)
2%
Run the Actor
10%
Run the Film Series/Franchise
6%
Runtime (watch a 1min film, then a 2min film etc)
3%
Surrealism
5%
Thegreatestbooks.org adaptations
2%
Watch two cuts of the same film
0%
Waves from around the world
8%

Total votes: 205

sol
Donator

2021 Challenges: Preliminary Poll #2

Post by sol »

For the past two weeks, we have been discussing ideas for the 2021 Official Challenge Schedule.

The thread on this topic can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5077

In around one week's time, I will be opening private message voting for us to choose which challenge options should make the 2021 lineup. In the meantime, it is necessary for us to narrow down the dozens of potential challenges proposed in order that the final poll is not too cumbersome. At this stage of the proceedings, we will be doing this through a public vote.

After some robust discussion (thanks Roger) on the thread and some personal deliberation, I have decided that it was best to go with just two preliminary polls. This is a reduction on the three polls that we have done in previous years. This is therefore one of two polls that are being run at the same time. Please make sure that you have had your say in both polls. Since there was no easy way to divide all of the proposed challenge ideas in half, I used https://www.random.org/lists/ to achieve a random order. The first half of the options were placed in one ballot, the other half in the other ballot and then I alphabetised the options for ease of reading.

We are looking for the 11 best performing options across both the preliminary polls to make it into the final poll. With this in mind, I have decided to permit everyone six votes in both preliminary polls. You do NOT have to use all 6+6 votes; only vote for challenge ideas that you think would be viable and which you yourself would actively participate in.

For more information, please read the thread that I have linked to above. Just to clarify, this is a poll, not a discussion thread for ideas (that's now closed). This thread can, however, be used to clarify information regarding the ideas being voted on.

Please also avoid using this thread to complain about which options are or are not doing well in the poll. This is only one stage of the voting. :)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

I voted for these six options, in approximate order of preference:

Waves from around the world
Run the Actor
Actor/Actress Linking
Action and Adventure
Surrealism
Mystery/Thriller

I considered supporting Justice, as I think such a challenge would present a lot of compelling options to become embroiled and entangled in. Next time, hopefully...

My one disappointment is the fact that Waves From Around the World doesn't look as though it's going to perform well enough to make the final poll. Somewhat saddening, as I think it's a beautiful and fascinating proposal from Gloede.
That's all, folks!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Where's the Cult/Grindhouse challenge I nominated?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: September 21st, 2020, 6:08 pm My one disappointment is the fact that Waves From Around the World doesn't look as though it's going to perform well enough to make the final poll.
Way too early to say that - especially considering that it seems to be only two votes short of making the cut. :shrug: The next round of voting will be private though, so you won't have to worry about how options appear to be performing when there are still days and days left to run. ;)
flavo5000 wrote: September 21st, 2020, 7:59 pm Where's the Cult/Grindhouse challenge I nominated?
Huh. I've just gone back and read your message, and I guess I can see how you might have intended to nominate it. I wasn't clear about that from the way you worded it though, and each participant was only limited to three options, so (with Kids and Family and Coming-of-Age being two separate ides), I guess I just assumed that you were speaking in general terms rather than putting it up as a suggestion? I did add your suggestions immediately and updated the OP. I guess next time it might be worth checking the OP to make sure I have listed your nominations correctly. But it's probably also worth me clarifying if the wording is ambiguous. I'll take that on board and will aim to asking more clarifying questions next time. Fortunately, there are enough options being voted on this year that encompass the broad scope of films that would be watched in that challenge.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Oh, I'm not worrying or moaning. Just musing aloud, haahaa...
That's all, folks!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Voted for 5 here as well.

Waves From Around the Words
Surrealism
-
Non-human protagonists
Run the actor
-
Long features
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Quick question, as it was not specified here. The 12 challenge ideas that will go through to the next round, are they composed of 6 from each poll or the top voted choices regardless of which poll they were on.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

St. Gloede wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 1:25 pm Quick question, as it was not specified here. The 12 challenge ideas that will go through to the next round, are they composed of 6 from each poll or the top voted choices regardless of which poll they were on.
I did actually specify this, but maybe I didn't make it clear enough?
sol wrote: September 19th, 2020, 3:54 am We are looking for the 11 best performing options across both the preliminary polls to make it into the final poll.
So, I'll be looking for the eleven options that attract the most votes regardless of which poll they have been voted in.
Image Image Image
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Thanks, Sol.

Classic scanning error. :facepalm: