Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

German/Austrian/Swiss Challenge - Official; August 2020

peeptoad

Re: German/Austrian/Swiss Challenge - Official; August 2020

Post by peeptoad » August 19th, 2020, 2:17 pm

11. Despair (Germany,1978) 7
filme gesehenShow
*rewatch

1. Die Zärtlichkeit der Wölfe (Germany, 1973) Tenderness of the Wolves 7
2. Das Gold der Liebe (Germany, 1983) The Gold of Love 8
3. Sukkubus - den Teufel im Leib (Germany, 1989) 7
4. Chimères (Switzerland, 2013) 4
5. Kiez (Germany,1983) 5
6. Der Fan (Germany, 1982) 10*
7. Das Beil von Wandsbek (Germany, 1951) The Axe of Wandsbek 8+
8. Eugénie (Liechtenstein,1973) 6
9. Ekstase (Czechoslovakia/Austria,1933) Ecstasy 8
10. Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum (Germany,1975) The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum 7+

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 19th, 2020, 3:15 pm

peeptoad wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 2:17 pm
Well done, peeps. For being the first person to see Despair during the Challenge, you have earned yourself the "Despair" Award. :D

:banana: Despair Winner - peeptoad :banana:

We'll get this 1000<400 film in the actual 500<400 list one of these days, I guess. Kind of an amazing how few forum members have actually seen the film given the acclaimed director and lead actor, but I guess that's what you get when something isn't an Official Check around here. :ermm: Yet. B)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 19th, 2020, 3:59 pm

I hate the chocolate cakeShow
1. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979, Germany)
2. Chariots of the Gods (1970, Germany)
3. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974, Germany)
Since I'm trying to watch things on 10+ lists, and given that this is both German and from the 1970s, this was an almost certainty. Amazing film. You get to see both casual and active racism in this film, unequal power dynamics, a beautiful if not tragic love story, and everything. I thought this was both sensitive and poignant and is a film I'd strongly recommend. Plus, this was my first Fassbinder, which made me want to watch another...

4. Despair (1978, Germany)
This was good, just nowhere near as good. This had a weird but compelling plot, where you get to see the main characters descent into madness, coupled with an odd thriller/mystery element to it. Pretty enjoyable to see and experience the journey through. Nice recommendation, sol! :cheers:
sol wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:15 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Well done, peeps. For being the first person to see Despair during the Challenge, you have earned yourself the "Despair" Award. :D
8 Minutes. Peeptoad checked it eight minutes before I did... :circle:

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 19th, 2020, 5:08 pm

sol wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:15 pm
peeptoad wrote:

:banana: Despair Winner - peeptoad :banana:
The Despair Award... that sounds totally appropriate right about now. :whistling:

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 19th, 2020, 5:39 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:59 pm
8 Minutes. Peeptoad checked it eight minutes before I did... :circle:
Youse guys are late being on the west coast and all... B)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » August 19th, 2020, 7:23 pm

8. Paula (Christian Schwochow, 2016)[Germany] 6+
9. Mack the Knife - Brecht's Threepenny Film / Dreigroschenfilm (Joachim Lang, 2018) [Germany] 8-
10. 3 Days in Quiberon / 3 Tage in Quiberon (Emily Atef, 2018) [Germany] 7+
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 19th, 2020, 7:34 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
Since I'm trying to watch things on 10+ lists, and given that this is both German and from the 1970s, this was an almost certainty. Amazing film. You get to see both casual and active racism in this film, unequal power dynamics, a beautiful if not tragic love story, and everything. I thought this was both sensitive and poignant and is a film I'd strongly recommend. Plus, this was my first Fassbinder, which made me want to watch another...

This was good, just nowhere near as good. This had a weird but compelling plot, where you get to see the main characters descent into madness, coupled with an odd thriller/mystery element to it. Pretty enjoyable to see and experience the journey through. Nice recommendation, sol! :cheers:
Your first two Fassbinders?! You are in for one heck of a crazy ride. The only issue with Fassbinder is that he made his films at such a rapid tempo (41 full length films in 14 years) that some ideas feel thin or rushed, with some films clearly given far more attention than others. This kind of urgency and creativity can often be felt, and it can also be a bonus.

With Apologies to Sol, Despair is far from being RWF's best. I think he did great things with the atmosphere, and Bogarde is certainly on my shortlist for greatest actor of all time, but it just felt a little off - and it seems that's everyone's experience. Really good, just not quite great.

I would definitely recommend seeking out a few more. The one Fear Eats the Soul fans usually also love is In a Year of 13 Moons, as well as his BRD Trilogy (Maria Braun, Veronika Voss and Lola). My personal favourite is Chinese Roulette, which my be slightly more acquired taste (it is a bizarre claustrophobic mindgame) - oh and, if you at any point liked The Matrix you should watch World on a Wire.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » August 19th, 2020, 7:55 pm

11. Götter der Pest (1970) - Germany

SpoilerShow
01. Heinrich Kieber - Datendieb (2010) - Liechtenstein
02. Les cauchemars naissent la nuit (1972) - Liechtenstein
03. Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam (1920) - Germany
04. Herz aus Glas (1976) - Germany
05. Fata Morgana (1971) - Germany
06. Händler der vier Jahreszeiten (1972) - Germany
07. Der amerikanische Soldat (1970) - Germany
08. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979) - Germany
09. Die Sehnsucht der Veronika Voss (1982) - Germany
10. Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) - Germany
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on August 22nd, 2020, 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 19th, 2020, 8:20 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 7:34 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:

Your first two Fassbinders?! You are in for one heck of a crazy ride. The only issue with Fassbinder is that he made his films at such a rapid tempo (41 full length films in 14 years) that some ideas feel thin or rushed, with some films clearly given far more attention than others. This kind of urgency and creativity can often be felt, and it can also be a bonus.

With Apologies to Sol, Despair is far from being RWF's best. I think he did great things with the atmosphere, and Bogarde is certainly on my shortlist for greatest actor of all time, but it just felt a little off - and it seems that's everyone's experience. Really good, just not quite great.

I would definitely recommend seeking out a few more. The one Fear Eats the Soul fans usually also love is In a Year of 13 Moons, as well as his BRD Trilogy (Maria Braun, Veronika Voss and Lola). My personal favourite is Chinese Roulette, which my be slightly more acquired taste (it is a bizarre claustrophobic mindgame) - oh and, if you at any point liked The Matrix you should watch World on a Wire.
Year of 13 Moons is a really good one. Although prepare to feel dead inside by the end of it. Honestly I'm not as enamored with some of Fassbinder's earlier films though. Along with the others above, I'd suggest Fox & His Friends and Berlin Alexanderplatz too.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 19th, 2020, 10:15 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 8:20 pm
Year of 13 Moons is a really good one. Although prepare to feel dead inside by the end of it. Honestly I'm not as enamored with some of Fassbinder's earlier films though. Along with the others above, I'd suggest Fox & His Friends and Berlin Alexanderplatz too.
Agreed! There is a big difference between the micro-budget 60s and early 70s films, and what came later. Love is Colder Than Death is quite "cool", and that is an adjective you can throw around for the look (for the B/W films) and concepts (Colour films) of many of them, but they still feel poorer than what was to come. I think it is a mixture of budget and maturity, though I still think all of them are worth seeking out. Honestly, the only one of his first 12-13 films that I love (or at least is a near-favourite) is The Niklashausen Journey, and then came The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant and his mini-series Eight Hours Don't Make a Day in 1972, and I would say the Fassbinder we know and love was born as the quality jump from this point is incredible (despite having some weeker films in between).

*It is worth pointing out that 11 of his 41 films were TV movies, and that while these are usually his weakest, some, like Fear of Fear and The Niklashausen Journey, not to mention something as experimental as Frauen in New York, ended up being really great.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 20th, 2020, 12:55 am

flavo5000 wrote:
St. Gloede wrote:
maxwelldeux wrote:

Yeah, I don't know why I haven't gotten to him until now. :shrug: But Ali was a hell of an intro and I'm excited to dig in more. When I glanced at his bio, I was dismayed to see that he died so young, and my first thought was that he didn't have enough time to really build a large filmography. Then I saw how much he had produced and had to do a double take.

Maria von Braun has been in my backlog to watch for a while, it just never made the cut. But I have definitely been eyeing 13 Moons this month, as it seems exactly like what I would want to watch and enjoy. (Thanks for the warning about feeling dead inside, flavo)

Is Berlin Alexanderplatz worth it? I've kinda been avoiding it due to length, but if it's that good, then maybe I'll try to work it in this month.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 20th, 2020, 2:11 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 12:55 am
flavo5000 wrote:
St. Gloede wrote:

Yeah, I don't know why I haven't gotten to him until now. :shrug: But Ali was a hell of an intro and I'm excited to dig in more. When I glanced at his bio, I was dismayed to see that he died so young, and my first thought was that he didn't have enough time to really build a large filmography. Then I saw how much he had produced and had to do a double take.

Maria von Braun has been in my backlog to watch for a while, it just never made the cut. But I have definitely been eyeing 13 Moons this month, as it seems exactly like what I would want to watch and enjoy. (Thanks for the warning about feeling dead inside, flavo)

Is Berlin Alexanderplatz worth it? I've kinda been avoiding it due to length, but if it's that good, then maybe I'll try to work it in this month.
Alexanderplatz is indeed really good. I'd treat it like you would any TV series and space it out a little though. I think it could get a little overwhelming trying to binge the entire thing in a couple days.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 20th, 2020, 2:13 am

St. Gloede wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 10:15 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
Agreed! There is a big difference between the micro-budget 60s and early 70s films, and what came later. Love is Colder Than Death is quite "cool", and that is an adjective you can throw around for the look (for the B/W films) and concepts (Colour films) of many of them, but they still feel poorer than what was to come. I think it is a mixture of budget and maturity, though I still think all of them are worth seeking out. Honestly, the only one of his first 12-13 films that I love (or at least is a near-favourite) is The Niklashausen Journey, and then came The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant and his mini-series Eight Hours Don't Make a Day in 1972, and I would say the Fassbinder we know and love was born as the quality jump from this point is incredible (despite having some weeker films in between).

*It is worth pointing out that 11 of his 41 films were TV movies, and that while these are usually his weakest, some, like Fear of Fear and The Niklashausen Journey, not to mention something as experimental as Frauen in New York, ended up being really great.
I'm hoping to be able to work in Eight Hours Don't Make A Day in the next week or so.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 20th, 2020, 9:43 am

Pie chart updated (yes, you finally pushed Germany above 80%, guys!) and leaderboard too, with two worships finally. B)

Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 20th, 2020, 11:54 am

Okay, let's put another point in the Swiss camp with their 1996 submission for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar:

Germany: 25 / Switzerland: 3 / Austria: 1Show
1. The Blood Demon (1967) Germany
2. Mark of the Devil (1970) Germany
3. The White Spider (1963) Germany
4. The High Crusade (1994) Germany
5. Keep Your Right Up (1987) Switzerland
6. The Wild Blue Yonder (2005) Germany
7. The Forger of London (1961) Germany
8. Mysteries of the Gods (1976) Germany
9. Women in Cellblock 9 (1978) Switzerland
10. In Search of Dracula (1975) Germany
11. Dracula Blows His Cool (1979) Germany
12. Summer with the Ghosts (2003) Austria
13. Necronomicon / Succubus (1968) Germany
14. Castle of the Creeping Flesh (1968) Germany
15. The Secret of the Red Orchid (1962) Germany
16. The Secret of the Black Widow (1963) Germany
17. The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle (1963) Germany
18. Magdalena Possessed By The Devil (1974) Germany
19. The Treasure of the Silver Lake (1962) Germany
20. First Spaceship on Venus (1960) Germany
21. The Vampire Happening (1971) Germany
22. Mark of the Devil Part II (1973) Germany
23. The Million Dollar Hotel (2000) Germany
24. Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989) Germany
25. A Little Night Music (1977) Germany
26. I Love You I Kill You (1971) Germany
27. Target for Killing (1966) Germany
28. Scream of Stone (1991) Germany

29. For Ever Mozart (1996) Switzerland

This is a film that is often difficult to decipher, but the war and cinema/art themes resonate. Of particular note are the prominent Swiss flags on military vehicles while the troupe are bombed, raped and made to strip at gunpoint - is neutrality all but a dream? The big issue that drives the film though is the point of making art during war (and the relevance of art in war). And then there is the idea of art lasting forever as per the title.
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm

19. Last Exit to Brooklyn (West Germany, 1989)

20. Bunker of the Dead (Germany, 2015)
SpoilerShow
1. Furcht (Germany, 1917)
2. The Curse of Doctor Wolffenstein (Germany, 2015)
3. Sennentuntschi (Switzerland, 2010)
4. Vem var Dracula? a.k.a. In Search of Dracula (West Germany, 1975)
5. Hintertreppe (Germany, 1921)
6. Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (West Germany, 1981)
7. The Burning Moon (Germany, 1992)
8. Mädchen im Nachtverkehr a.k.a. Girls in the Night Traffic (Switzerland, 1976)
9. Masks (Germany, 2011)
10. Alice in den Städten a.k.a. Alice in the Cities (West Germany, 1974)
11. Hell a.k.a. Apocalypse (Germany/Switzerland, 2011)
12. Hagazussa (Austria/Germany, 2017)
13. Interferenz (Germany, 2014)
14. Beton (Germany/Austria, 2011)
15. Carcinoma (Germany, 2014)
16. How much Wood would a Woodchuck chuck... - Beobachtungen zu einer neuen Sprache (West Germany, 1976)
17. Die Erben a.k.a. The Inheritors (Austria, 1983)
18. Die Farbe a.k.a. The Color Out of Space (Germany, 2010)
19. Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989)
20. Bunker of the Dead (2015)

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 20th, 2020, 1:28 pm

66. The Edge of Heaven (2007) [Germany]
67. System Crasher (2019) [Germany]
68. Rosa Luxemburg (1986) [West Germany]
69. Malina (1991) [Germany]
70. Gundermann (2018) [Germany]
71. Kaspar Hauser (1993) [Germany]
72. 3 Days in Quiberon (2018) [Germany]
73. The Harmonists (1997) [Germany]
74. The Mistress (1952) [West Germany]
75. Four Minutes (2006) [Germany]
76. The Deathmaker (1995) [Germany]
77. Stopped on Track (2011) [Germany]
78. Rossini (1997) [Germany]
79. Deadly Decision (1954) [West Germany]
80. Schtonk (1992) [Germany]
81. The People Vs. Fritz Bauer (2015) [Germany]
82. No Place to Go (2000) [Germany]
Last edited by blueboybob on August 20th, 2020, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 20th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Germany: 26 / Switzerland: 3 / Austria: 1Show

30. Boarding School (1978) Germany

This is not nearly as raunchy at it sounds with limited nudity (though there are many underwear shots) and much more focus on the girls' clumsiness while pretending to be professional prostitutes than anything else. While this might make Boarding School sound nicely restrained, it actually feels lacking in zaniness and energy, a memorable live insect eating dare -- and a series of imaginative striptease act towards the end -- aside.
Image Image Image

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » August 20th, 2020, 5:35 pm

(Screenshots from 'Die Bettwurst' & 'Kick That Habit'),

31. Die Bettwurst (The Bed Sausage, Rosa von Praunheim, 1971) 8/10 ((West) Germany)
32. Sylvie (Klaus Lemke, 1973) 7/10 ((West) Germany)
33. In Gefahr und größter Not bringt der Mittelweg den Tod (In Danger and Deep Distress, the Middleway Spells Certain Death, Alexander Kluge & Edgar Reitz, 1974) 9/10 ((West) Germany)
34. Beethoven - Tage aus einem Leben (Beethoven - Days in a Life, Horst Seemann, 1976) 7.5/10 ((East) Germany)
35. Langsamer Sommer (Slow Summer, John Cook & Michael Pilz, 1976) 8/10 (Austria)
36. Kick That Habit (Peter Liechti, 1989) 8.5/10 (Switzerland)

SpoilerShow
1. T-Wo-Men (Werner Nekes, 1972) 10/10 ((West) Germany)
2. Tod und Teufel/Death and Devil (Stephen Dwoskin, 1974) 9/10 ((West) Germany)
3. Der Gehülfe (The Assistant, Thomas Koerfer, 1976) 9/10 (Switzerland)
4. Der junge Freud (Young Dr. Freud, Axel Corti, 1976) 9/10 (Austria/(West) Germany)
5. Bierkampf (Beer Chase, Herbert Achternbusch, 1977) 9/10 ((West) Germany)
6. Sieben Sommersprossen (Seven Freckles, Herrmann Zschoche, 1978) 8/10 ((East) Germany)
7. Grauzone (Zones, Fredi M. Murer, 1979) 9/10 (Switzerland/(West) Germany)
8. Loos Ornamental (Heinz Emigholz, 2008) 8/10 (Austria)
9. San Domingo (Hans-Jürgen Syberberg, 1970) 8/10 ((West) Germany)
10. Die Niklashauser Fart (The Niklashausen Journey, Rainer Werner Fassbinder & Michael Fengler, 1970) 9.5/10 ((West) Germany)
11. Fremde Stadt (Strange City, Rudolf Thome, 1972) 8.5/10 ((West) Germany)
12. Ich schaff's einfach nimmer (‎I Just Can't Go On, John Cook, 1973) 8/10 (Austria)
13. Steppenwolf (Fred Haines, 1974) 6.5/10 (Switzerland)
14. Ikarus (Icarus, Heiner Carow, 1975) 8/10 ((East) Germany)
15. Arena besetzt (Arena Squatted, Ruth Beckermann & Josef Aichholzer & Franz Grafl, 1977) 8/10 (Austria)
16. Die teuflischen Schwestern (Sexy Sisters, Jesús Franco, 1977) 6/10 (Switzerland)
17. Die letzten Jahre der Kindheit (The Last Years of Childhood, Norbert Kückelmann, 1979) 8/10 ((West) Germany)
18. Britain's Glory (Klaus Wyborny, 2016) 9.5/10 (Germany)
19. O Happy Day (Seventeen and Anxious, Zbynek Brynych, 1970) 7/10 ((West) Germany)
20. Inferno (Stanislav Barabas, 1973) 9/10 ((West) Germany/Austria)
21. Der Kulterer (Vojtech Jasný, 1974) 8.5/10 (Austria/(West) Germany)
22. Strasek, der Vampir (Strasek, the Vampyre, Theodor Boder, 1983) 7.5/10 (Switzerland)
23. James ou pas (James or Not, Michel Soutter, 1970) 8/10 (Switzerland)
24. Behinderte Zukunft (Handicapped Future, Werner Herzog, 1971) 7.5/10 ((West) Germany)
25. Casanova & Co. (Franz Antel, 1977) 5/10 (Austria)
26. John Heartfield, Fotomonteur (John Heartfield, Photomontagist, Helmut Herbst, 1977) 8.5/10 ((West) Germany)
27. Das Ende des Regenbogens (The End of the Rainbow, Uwe Frießner, 1979) 8/10 ((West) Germany)
28. Die Erben (The Inheritors, Walter Bannert, 1983) 7.5/10 (Austria)
29. Die Gebrüder Skladanowsky (A Trick of the Light, Wim Wenders, 1995) 7.5/10 (Germany)
30. Un autre homme (Another Man, Lionel Baier, 2008) 8/10 (Switzerland)
Last edited by jdidaco on August 22nd, 2020, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AB537

Post by AB537 » August 21st, 2020, 1:30 am

6. Dark season 1 (Netflix, 2017, Germany) 8.5/10 ... Not great for challenge points, but a really intriguing series, will definitely keep going with this one

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 21st, 2020, 9:24 am

Leaderboard and pie chart updated. More big gains for Germany.

Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 21st, 2020, 9:32 am

blueboybob wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 1:28 pm
Please don't do this. :down:

As I mentioned in the OP, all new viewings should be listed in a new post.

I almost missed your 82nd viewing since you edited your old post to include it. While I am only editing and updating the leaderboard once a day, I am constantly updating my spreadsheet, so if you edit old posts, it makes it hard for me to track your total viewing numbers. :shrug: Thank you. :)
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 21st, 2020, 2:24 pm

Germany: 27 / Switzerland: 3 / Austria: 1Show

31. Count Dracula (1970) Germany

This Spanish-German co-production was apparantly first film to try to faithfully follow Bram Stoker's iconic novel and the first half is refreshingly different and even chilling with much more focus on mood and atmosphere than dialogue. In the second half though, Dracula becomes a background character with too many dialogue exchanges taking centre stage. Still, the reverse-aging effects are great, and Klaus Kinski as Renfield is inspired.
Image Image Image

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » August 21st, 2020, 3:25 pm

apologies sol, i thought it was "quick enough" but you are faster then me.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 21st, 2020, 4:17 pm

1. Warnung vor einer heiligen Nutte [Beware of a Holy Whore] (1971, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) West-Germany: 6.2 - A self parody of a hotheaded diva director; RWF was infamous for his tantrums on set. It is greatly directed, the framing and tracking are superb. RWF frames his actors in meticulously posed tableaux. This plus the deadpan mood, reminded me of Roy Andersson. Above all RWF shows an amazing sense of space. Unfortunately the deliberate detached acting with sudden burst of emotions, wore thin quickly for me. Scenes so repetitive that near the end RWF shortens them more and more cause he knows we will get the drift.
2. Händler der vier Jahreszeiten [The Merchant of Four Seasons] (1972, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) West-Germany: 7.2
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on August 21st, 2020, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 21st, 2020, 4:18 pm

blueboybob wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 3:25 pm
you are faster then me.
Oh, that's a quote worth hanging onto. ;) And no probs, just good to mention it (nice reminder to others too).
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 21st, 2020, 4:21 pm

Germany: 27 / Switzerland: 4 / Austria: 1Show

32. Stewardessen (1971) Switzerland

While there is no shortage of nudity as various stewardesses engage in one night stands in their time-off here, there is little physical intimacy and what exists is cheekily edited with bizarre cutaways to such randomness as cows, Swiss flags and the Swiss Alps. The filmmakers mostly seem keen on toying with our generic expectations with their splicing - something that the near-meta conclusion supports. Blah characters and plot, but fun enough overall.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 22nd, 2020, 4:41 am

Germany: 28 / Switzerland: 4 / Austria: 1Show

33. Salmonberries (1991) Germany

This has acquired a mixed reputation due to its leisurely, non-urgent pacing with KD Lang sometimes feeling miscast in the lead role. The film bears all of the markings of Percy Adlon's best films though and often feels very much like Bagdad Cafe with similarly enchanting music and unusual outskirts environments. Some of the shots are simply exquisite too: lines of glowing red berry jars in a pantry; neon turquoises and blues in the librarian's home.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 22nd, 2020, 9:11 am

Daily leaderboard and pie chart updated done.

Image Image Image

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » August 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

12. Die Ehe der Maria Braun (1979) - Germany
13. Olympia 1. Teil - Fest der Völker (1938) - Germany
14. Olympia 2. Teil - Fest der Schönheit (1938) - Germany
15. Madame DuBarry (1919) - Germany

SpoilerShow
01. Heinrich Kieber - Datendieb (2010) - Liechtenstein
02. Les cauchemars naissent la nuit (1972) - Liechtenstein
03. Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam (1920) - Germany
04. Herz aus Glas (1976) - Germany
05. Fata Morgana (1971) - Germany
06. Händler der vier Jahreszeiten (1972) - Germany
07. Der amerikanische Soldat (1970) - Germany
08. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979) - Germany
09. Die Sehnsucht der Veronika Voss (1982) - Germany
10. Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) - Germany
11. Götter der Pest (1970) - Germany
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on August 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 22nd, 2020, 1:09 pm

21-25. Acht Stunden sind kein Tag a.k.a. Eight Hours Don't Make A Day (West Germany, 1972)
Although I wouldn't consider this one of Fassbinder's best, it's still very watchable and marks an interesting transition point in career. You can see the more confident camera movements, even more energetic than in his later more mature films, as well as early examples of the Hollywood melodrama influence creeping into his work.

26. Hitler, ein Film aus Deutschland a.k.a. Hitler: A Film From Germany (West Germany, 1977)
This nearly 8-hour opus is as interesting as it is frustrating. What we have is a densely elaborate stage play visual essay with all manner of effects like rear projection, copious voice over and even puppetry to convey a multi-faceted view of the titular historical figure and his impact on German culture and identity. It was exhausting to watch and I had to break it up into four separate viewings (which fortunately it's logically split into four parts). Also while it was indeed fascinating to watch in places, I remain somewhat agitated by it and its lack of an overriding thesis to give it focus.
SpoilerShow
1. Furcht (Germany, 1917)
2. The Curse of Doctor Wolffenstein (Germany, 2015)
3. Sennentuntschi (Switzerland, 2010)
4. Vem var Dracula? a.k.a. In Search of Dracula (West Germany, 1975)
5. Hintertreppe (Germany, 1921)
6. Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (West Germany, 1981)
7. The Burning Moon (Germany, 1992)
8. Mädchen im Nachtverkehr a.k.a. Girls in the Night Traffic (Switzerland, 1976)
9. Masks (Germany, 2011)
10. Alice in den Städten a.k.a. Alice in the Cities (West Germany, 1974)
11. Hell a.k.a. Apocalypse (Germany/Switzerland, 2011)
12. Hagazussa (Austria/Germany, 2017)
13. Interferenz (Germany, 2014)
14. Beton (Germany/Austria, 2011)
15. Carcinoma (Germany, 2014)
16. How much Wood would a Woodchuck chuck... - Beobachtungen zu einer neuen Sprache (West Germany, 1976)
17. Die Erben a.k.a. The Inheritors (Austria, 1983)
18. Die Farbe a.k.a. The Color Out of Space (Germany, 2010)
19. Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989)
20. Bunker of the Dead (2015)
21-25. Acht Stunden sind kein Tag a.k.a. Eight Hours Don't Make A Day (West Germany, 1972)
26. Hitler, ein Film aus Deutschland a.k.a. Hitler: A Film From Germany (West Germany, 1977)

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 22nd, 2020, 11:18 pm

3. Reise der Hoffnung (1990) Switzerland
The journey of a Turkish migrant family trying to reach Switzerland. Very powerful filmmaking. In its own way, one of the most emotionally devastating movies I've ever seen. Added to my 500<400 list.

4. Despair (1978) Germany
I'm sorry to say, Sol, that I didn't like this movie. It has many fine qualities, not least Dirk Bogarde's energetic, madcap performance and the slightly dreamy Art Deco aesthetic that infuses the entire movie. But, for me, Despair felt similar to a certain type of midcentury European movie (The Ogre of Athens is another example) in which the story and characters get swallowed by aimless scenes and torrents of abstruse dialogue. To everyone else, don't let my reaction dissuade you from seeing this movie, which is available on youtube. Sol's recommendations are usually good ones.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 23rd, 2020, 10:41 am

Pie chart and leaderboard updated.

Blocho also becomes the third user with a " :worship: ". Who will be the fourth? C'mon, blocho told you not take his word alone for it. ;)

Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 23rd, 2020, 10:45 am

Germany: 29 / Switzerland: 4 / Austria: 1Show

34. Die Straße (1923) Germany

While there are five or six title cards (unlike Murnau's The Last Laugh) they are few and far between here as the filmmakers try to tell their story without words. It is a cool idea and there are certainly some spectacular shots, from shadows dancing on a ceiling, to the camera spinning around, a to dissolve-over of a skull on a prostitute's face. The sparse dialogue and low lighting though makes it hard to keep track of what exactly is happening.
Image Image Image

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 23rd, 2020, 12:01 pm

Late start as usual...

1. Eolomea (Hermann Zschoche, 1972) EAST GERMANY
2. Im Staub der Sterne / In the Dust of the Stars (Gottfried Kolditz, 1976) EAST GERMANY
3. Operation Ganymed (Rainer Erler, 1977) WEST GERMANY

Eolomea is an East German production from DEFA studios, with help from the Soviet Union and Bulgaria, shot in 70mm - one of a number of big-budgeted "epic" films from the Eastern bloc in the 60s-70s that seem in many ways meant to prove that Communism could do movies just as well as the decadent West. Well, yeah, there's some great stuff there - but you gotta have at least a halfway decent plot/story/idea to go with your expensive effects, sets, and nice widescreen photography. And this sadly fails on that level; while the conception - a far-future interplanetary Earth civilization is considering sending rockets to the mysterious "Eolomea" when several ships start to disappear, and space stations go quiet, meanwhile lots of philosophical pondering on the parts of the primary leaders as to whether or not long-distance space travel is worth it - is pretty decent, the execution is weak. Part of the problem I think is that there is just too much to shove into an 82-minute run-time - a romance, digressions on morality and safety, the mystery as to what's going on with the missing ships, etc - and part of it is that when the resolution occurs it's just stupid and unbelievable. Pretty cool sets and production design though, if you like the style of things like Antonio Margheriti's Gamma Quadrilogy; obviously all models, but lovingly crafted. And it's nice to see a female lead (Dutch actress Cox Habbema), even if she seems to have been chosen as much for her striking looks as for her ability to convincingly play a scientist/leader-cum-action heroine.

Im Staub der Sterne is also a fairly large budget East German production, but with a bit more streamlined and enjoyable storyline. In this case it's the hoary old chestnut of a scientific mission being called to a planet because of an emergency, only to find out that the call isn't what it purported to be, and the planet's people have been taken over and enslaved by another race, who of course the scientists will have to help defeat. This one takes the feminist virtues of Eolomea and amplifies them - the scientific mission has 4 women and 2 men, and one of the women is the leader. Alas it's one of her male subordinates who gets to do most of the heroic stuff but still a fairly progressive vision overall. Again nicely produced if you like this sort of pre-Star Wars sci-fi adventure; no great shakes overall but more fun than Eolomea and nearly as well-produced.

Operation Ganymed is a West German TV movie, altogether more somber and dry (in both literal and figurative senses) than the two previous films, about a mission of five astronauts returning to earth after a 4-year voyage to the titular moon, the longest such trip yet made. Something goes wrong on their return though - they cannot communicate with the planet, and they are forced to splash down in unknown waters, which turn out to be the Pacific just off the coast of Baja, Mexico. The opening spacecraft sequences are among the most realistic I've seen from this period, and these are equalled by the very real sense of doom and despair as the men start a long trek north through the desert, running out of food and water and hope. Flashbacks to various problems on Ganymede enliven the journey for us in the audience, but the overriding feeling is one of despair and a hopeless view of man's future. The interpersonal issues between the astronauts are pretty well detailed and of course the dangers they face amongst themselves come to the forefront pretty quickly. It doesn't add up to anything really special, and at 2 hours it's a bit much, but it's certainly a little different from the usual science fiction "entertainments".

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 23rd, 2020, 12:28 pm

12. Der Fluch der grünen Augen (Germany,1964) Cave of the Living Dead aka Night of the Vampires 5
filme gesehenShow
*rewatch

1. Die Zärtlichkeit der Wölfe (Germany, 1973) Tenderness of the Wolves 7
2. Das Gold der Liebe (Germany, 1983) The Gold of Love 8
3. Sukkubus - den Teufel im Leib (Germany, 1989) 7
4. Chimères (Switzerland, 2013) 4
5. Kiez (Germany,1983) 5
6. Der Fan (Germany, 1982) 10*
7. Das Beil von Wandsbek (Germany, 1951) The Axe of Wandsbek 8+
8. Eugénie (Liechtenstein,1973) 6
9. Ekstase (Czechoslovakia/Austria,1933) Ecstasy 8
10. Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum (Germany,1975) The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum 7+

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 23rd, 2020, 12:37 pm

Germany: 30 / Switzerland: 4 / Austria: 1Show
34. Die Straße (1923) Germany

35. Rising High (2020) Germany

Germany's apparant answer to The Wolf of Wall Street, this is certainly cut from the same cloth but lacks a protagonist as charismatic as Leonardo DiCaprio. David Kross is fine in the lead role, but he never mixes charm and vileness all that well, often coming off as simply contemptible rather than a despicable individual like Leo's Wolf who is nevertheless hard not to like. The comedy is hit-and-miss too, but the film is okay and generally well acted.
Image Image Image

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 23rd, 2020, 3:51 pm

bier, schnitzel, musik, kinoShow

1. Eolomea (Hermann Zschoche, 1972) EAST GERMANY
2. Im Staub der Sterne / In the Dust of the Stars (Gottfried Kolditz, 1976) EAST GERMANY
3. Operation Ganymed (Rainer Erler, 1977) WEST GERMANY
4. Traumstadt / Dream City (Johannes Schaaf, 1973) WEST GERMANY

I've known about this film for quite a few years - ran across an image from it somewhere, and the title has a strong appeal, so I was really looking forward to this. And for the first third of the film or so my anticipations of a film of weirdness and unease - a couple, bored of the daily urban world take advantage of a mysterious letter and journey to an obscure and hidden small city that seems right out of the medieval world, but that is promised to be the answer to their (or anyone's) dreams. But after the couple is in the city and have their first few weird little adventures - they can't find the guy who invited them, they briefly lose each other, etc, it settles into a fairly dark and pessimistic nightmare which interested me much less. Not that nightmares are uninteresting generally, but this just seemed rather pedestrian in execution in the final summary, leading to an inevitable apocalyptic ending that I just didn't care about. Overall still worth seeing I think but rather a disappointment given my high expectations.

5. Das Millionenspiel / The Millions Game (Tom Toelle, 1970) WEST GERMANY

Also a film I've known about and wanted to see for years, in contrast to Traumstadt this is a work that from the very get-go shows it's genre and narrative references to older works, never really pretends any originality in theme or purpose, but ends up very enjoyable for it's particular way of working out the old hoary ideas. And you can sum it all up pretty simply - it's the old "most dangerous game" idea of man being hunted by men, with a 60s-70s media overlay - see also Elio Petri's 1965 La decima vittima for a pretty clear analog. Essentially we have a man (Jörg Pleva, mostly a TV actor who I didn't know, quite fine here) spending the whole time running for his life, trying to make it to the end of a week alive and win the grand prize of a million marks. And alongside this we watch the TV crews filming him and his would-be killers, and the general public and their fascination or revulsion with the concept - mostly the former, sadly. While this does have a fair bit to say about the media's role in sensationalizing crime and human misery - see Paul Verhoeven's later work for another take on similar ideas - it also works just as a pure thriller and it's pretty consistently involving throughout.

6. Apachen (Gottfried Kolditz, 1973) EAST GERMANY/Romania/Soviet Union

Lovely-looking 'scope western shot in Romania and Uzbekistan (I guess they don't have this mountain/desert terrain in East Germany) about Ulzana, the famous Apache chief whose life spanned most of the 19th century and who had been the subject of a prestige American western the previous year, Robert Aldrich's Ulzana's Raid. I haven't seen that film in a long, long time but I'm guessing it probably didn't have the most progressive attitude towards the Apaches - and even if it did, it's no surprise that an Eastern European film at this time would be produced as a corrective to the capitalist/white exploitation of the Americas. Of course having your Apaches all played by Europeans (Gojko Mitic, a Yugoslavian actor who also played in several of the West German-produced Winnetou films in the previous decade) casts a bit of doubt on the progressive agenda - by our standards today, at least. That's not the major problem here though - the major problem is that it's just at heart a very generic revenge story, with Ulzana leading a small band against the evil/greedy US Army and copper miners who have slaughtered most of his village after tricking them into their town under false pretenses. The action's pretty good - if as silly and over-the-top as in any spaghetti western - and it looks nice, but on the whole, ehh. There's a sequel called Ulzana from the next year but a quick search hasn't turned up an English-friendly copy, and I didn't like this enough that I really care.

Wim Wenders, music- and film-crazed poet of existential wanderings

Wenders was one of the first contemporary European directors I followed; my first serious film-buff friend probably introduced him to me around 1988 when we were both working at a video store; the director's early films were mostly on video (a rare treat in those days) and Der Himmel über Berlin would premiere, with it's generic-yet-evocative English-language title Wings of Desire at the end of the year. I loved that film - though I couldn't quite, at the time, call it a masterpiece - and saw it at least three times in the cinema, and I think I saw most of the director's earlier work at roughly the same time. Most of it I've not re-seen since, so this is a trip back to my early days of film obsession - endless nostalgia is my middle name these days, especially in COVID-time. I liked the director at the time certainly, and I was also interested in a trio of his most obvious acolytes - the Finnish Kaurismäki brothers and the American Jim Jarmusch - who all shared his French New Wave low budget aesthetic and film and music obsessions, his love for black and white, and in the case of Jarmusch, his favorite cinematographer, Robby Müller. But though I shared many of these interests myself I never developed quite the same kind of love for any of these filmmakers that my friend did, at least not while I knew him; I was more a Herzog guy at the time, and when I did get into the French New Wave, in particular Godard, I don't think I really saw the obvious influence on Wenders, or I was just too busy watching other stuff to come back to him. But he and his "disciples" have grown on me in the past 20 years though, and it's time to see just how much more growing there could be for WW. Here goes.

7. Summer in the City (1971) (re-watch) WEST GERMANY

Wenders' first feature* and his first work with Müller, whose b/w 16mm images certainly contribute significantly to the cold, lonely, isolated feeling that the film conveys. It's all set in a very snowy winter in Munich and Berlin - the warm title comes from the hit 1966 Lovin' Spoonful song, which plays near the end - and it definitely conveys a feeling of low-key desperation and dreariness effectively, though that's about it. Lots of lovely tracking shots of the two wintry cities, which our protaganist Hanns (Hanns Zischer, also very early in what has been a long and distinguished career) moves through, talking mostly about music and movies with the women he stays with - essentially a low-rent grifter after being released from a short prison sentence, lamenting the closure of Kinos in Berlin, and dreaming of a New York that he cannot reach. I didn't remember that I'd seen this, and didn't have it checked or rated, but I did remember bits as I watched it, particularly Hanns' obsession with the Kinks and the Troggs, and some of those beautiful, aging 5- and 6-story 19th century apartment buildings. I think the first viewing was unsubbed, which probably accounts for how dim my memory is to some extent. There are loads of better films, particularly from this era from Germany and France, about existential loneliness and apathy, and I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone who isn't a big fan of the director, but the mood really worked on me, and the music's great. Weird use of post-dubbing throughout, not sure how much of this was intentional originally or mandated by very poor sound recording on set.

*IMDb lists a 1969 3-hour Kaspar Hauser with Wenders among 10 directors but I don't see anything significant about it anywhere else; I'm guessing it was an amateur/student project.

8. Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter / The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (1972) (re-watch) WEST GERMANY

Another of Wenders' frequent collaborators, composer Jürgen Knieper, shows up for the first time with his simple, evocative score for what almost feels like a bigger-budgeted, tighter, color remake of the previous film, though the screenplay is co-written by, and based on the novel by the same name by Peter Handke, also a longtime Wenders collaborator and future Nobel Prize winner and defender of dictators. Here in the typical loner-protagonist part we have Arthur Brauss - who bears a striking resemblance to the generation-younger Mads Mikkelsen at the same age - as Bloch, a football goalkeeper who misses an important save in a match and is suspended for a week, upon which he goes on a ramble, mostly by bus, of the country, early on hooking up with a cinema cashier and, apparently casually, strangling her. This doesn't seem to bother him, and despite occasional glances at newspapers and an awareness of cops, he just goes about his aimless way, drinking and getting in fights, and hitting on an old flame and a much younger hotel maid in one town, more or less at the same time. This definitely verges on nihilism, and now that I think of it, apart from the music what I remembered most about the film is arguing with friends over how the central act of violence is / is not dealt with in the film - something it's hard to imagine happening in such a way in a Hollywood production, then or at any time. But sadly, it feels very real, and we have evidence all around us of people with no consciences, no cares, no feelings, no understandings of the world - and no interest in any of them. A very, very bleak portrait of, even and indictment of, this kind of behavior.

AB537

Post by AB537 » August 24th, 2020, 1:38 am

7. Auch Zwerge haben klein angefangen - Even Dwarfs Started Small (Werner Herzog, 1970, Germany) 5/10

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 24th, 2020, 8:56 am

04. Westfront 1918, by G.W. Pabst (1930) 8/10 - Germany

A grim portrayal of WWI, and very spectacular too. I expected a silent film, but it uses sound, and in a very brilliant way.
Die filmen ich habe gesehen (03)Show
01. Viktor und Viktoria, by Reinhold Schünzel (1933) 7,5/10 - Germany
02. Unter den Brucken, by Helmut Käutner (1946) 7/10 - Germany
03. Es geschah am hellichten Tag, by Ladislao Vajda (1958) 9/10 - Switzerland
Last edited by cinephage on August 24th, 2020, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.