Pictured: Cover art for Rainer Werner Fassbinder's 'Despair' (1978)
Watch as many movies from Germany / Austria / Switzerland / Liechtenstein as you can from August 1, 2020 to August 31, 2020.
- East Germany
- West Germany
All have a very large number of co-productions. I would ask you to think carefully about whether you think that any co-productions really represent German, Austrian and Swiss cinema. As a general rule of thumb, anything nominated for a national award (Lola Award; Swiss Film Award etc) is eligible.
Films can be in any language (not just German) as long as they come from the above countries, so French language Swiss films etc are eligible.
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 1 episode of any miniseries counts as one entry.
- 1 entire season of a television show counts as one entry.
- Individual television episodes are not eligible.
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- Please include year of release when listing your viewings.
- Please indicate each film's country when listing your viewings otherwise your score will NOT be included in the leaderboard.
Fair play (adapted from albajos)
- Remember this is a community event, so participating is not only about listing titles. If you post early, this gives the other participants suggestions for their own viewings and it brings the community closer together.
- If you're in the top 5 please post at least once every three days.
- I will not allow anyone to enter the top 5 during the final three days with their first post.
I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.
Final results will be posted between 2:30pm and 3:00pm GMT on September 2 - at which point it will have been September everywhere in the world for more than a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's September on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges?
Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further: (big shout-out to klaus whose links I have shamelessly copy-and-pasted)
- UNESCO - 259-273 are German; 32-53 are Austrian; 699-713 are Swiss
- The 100 Most Significant German Films
- Lola Award for Best German Film
- iCM Forum's Favourite German Films
- German submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Austrian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Swiss submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- The 100 Best Swiss Films
- New Austrian Film
This Challenge has never been held before in an Official capacity as far as I can tell.
Similar (German-only) challenges have been run five times before:
2011 Challenge - hosted by 3eyes and won by Crinderman with 70 points
2013 Challenge - hosted by HMV and won by HMV with 53 points
2014 Challenge - hosted by HMV and won by PretentiousHipster with 35 points
2015 Challenge - hosted by HMV and won by klaus78 with 49 points
2018 Challenge - hosted by klaus78 and won by 72allinncallme with 67 points
Any Fun Stats?
Maybe. Certainly not if this Challenges gets very busy, but I would at least like to be able to present a Germany vs Austria vs Switzerland vs Liechtenstein pie chart.
There will be an AWARDS CEREMONY at the end of the Challenge. See this example if you're unsure what I am talking about.
This thread will be updated at least once every 48 hours (more often if I am around and feel like it). Please list new films seen in a new post.
Bonus Challenge #1: Watch Despair by Rainer Werner Fassbinder (iCM) - a challenge TRIPLE this month
Bonus Challenge #2: Get something in every column below... except the last column. The only way to do this is by watching Despair as well as something from each of Germanosphere countries and remembering to include the country with every viewing.
Any points in the "undeclared" column will not count towards your final score. You must declare the country when listing your viewings.