Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

<400 Checks Challenge (Official, August 2020)

OldAle1
Donator

Re: <400 Checks Challenge (Official, August 2020)

Post by OldAle1 » September 1st, 2020, 2:12 pm

Arbitrary NumbersShow

1. Bloody Mama (Roger Corman, 1970) 333 checks
2. Gas-s-s-s aka Gas! -Or- It Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It. (Roger Corman, 1970) 141 checks
3. Von Richthofen and Brown (Roger Corman, 1971) 41 checks
4. Breaker! Breaker! (Don Hulette, 1977) 258 checks
5. Out of Print (Julia Marchese, 2014) 32 checks
6. La vérité / The Truth (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1960) 384 checks
7. Yôtô monogatari: hana no Yoshiwara hyakunin-giri / Killing in Yoshiwara / Hero of the Red Light District (Tomu Uchida, 1960) 53 checks
8. Musume tsuma haha / Daughter, Wife, Mother (Mikio Naruse, 1960) 44 checks
9. Macario (Roberto Gavaldón, 1960) 297 checks
10. MISC SHORTS 6 + 12 + 29 + 6 + 9 = 62 minutes

a) Mouse and Garden (Friz Freleng, 1960) 81 checks
b) Présentation ou Charlotte et son steak (Éric Rohmer, 1960) 207 checks
c) Universe (Roman Kroitor/Colin Low, 1960) 56 checks
d) Hyde and Go Tweet (Friz Freleng, 1960) 67 checks
e) The Stunt Double (Damian Chazelle, 2020) 3 checks

sci-fi in the 70s, German-style

11. Eolomea (Hermann Zschoche, 1972) 46 checks
12. Im Staub der Sterne / In the Dust of the Stars (Gottfried Kolditz, 1976) 27 checks
13. Operation Ganymed (Rainer Erler, 1977) 13 checks

more German speculative fictions

14. Traumstadt / Dream City (Johannes Schaaf, 1973) 23 checks
15. Das Millionenspiel / The Millions Game (Tom Toelle, 1970) 55 checks

Iranian obscurities

16. Ghahremanan / The Invincible Six (Jean Negulesco, 1970) 3 checks
17. Marg dar baran / Death in the Rain (Samuel Khachikian, 1975) 2 checks

18. Apachen (Gottfried Kolditz, 1973) 15 checks
19. Finalmente le mille e una notte / 1001 Nights of Pleasure (Antonio Margheriti, 1972) 8 checks
20. Summer in the City (Wim Wenders, 1971) (re-watch) 34 checks
21. Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter / The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (Wim Wenders, 1972) (re-watch) 276 checks
22. Die scharlachrote Buchstabe / The Scarlet Letter (Wim Wenders, 1973) 77 checks

Apparently a somewhat unorthodox and loose adaptation of Nathaniel Hawthorne's mid-19th-century novel, which I've never read; in fact I think this is the first adaptation I've seen of it as well - dunno how I managed to do an English major in college, and actually like a lot of Hawthorne's short stories and films made from them, and yet be so ignorant of his most famous work. Anyway, while the setting and timeframe - Puritan New England ca 1645 - are the same, and the basic background - adultress Hester Prynne (Senta Berger, in the first performance I believe I've seen that isn't mostly decorative) is forced to wear the scarlet letter as a sign of her "crime" and because she won't reveal the male party, while scraping a living for herself and her daughter Pearl (Yella Rottländer, who is excellent), until a figure from her past returns and upsets the whole town - is also straight from the book, the development of the action goes on somewhat different lines with a different resolution. This isn't that well-regarded apparently, and the director wasn't that happy with it, but I think time has been fairly kind to it; even if the films seems a bit short and edited a little oddly, and there are other things that don't work perfectly (very strange Jürgen Knieper music for example which sounds more like instrumental soft-rock than anything else and really clashes with the dark scenario at times), there's excellent location work on the rocky Spanish coast, luminous color cinematography that certainly helps prove that Robby Müller wasn't just a b/w artist, and most of the performances, particularly Berger, Rottländer and Hans Christian Blech as the town's new doctor - and link to Hester's past. Not one of the director's best but not something to dismiss out of hand either.

23. Chambre 666 / Room 666 (Wim Wenders, 1982) 230 checks

45 minute essay film done at Cannes for TV, in which Wenders interviews 15 directors about the state of cinema and it's relationship to TV and emerging video technologies. Godard is mostly pessimistic and lamenting - including lamenting that his chair isn't positioned properly to watch the tennis match on TV; Spielberg mostly talks about the costs of big-budget Hollywood; Antionioni is the most perceptive about the oncoming video/computer revolution; Werner Herzog first has to take off his shoes and be comfortable. This is more enjoyable as a time capsule, and in particular to watch dead or obscure directors (i.e. Maroun Bagdadi, Ana Carolina) than anything else - apart from Antonioni I don't know that anybody has anything really brilliant to say, and of course almost 40 years on nobody was entirely right about the future.

24. Chandler (Paul Magwood, 1971) 44 checks

OK, you start with the title. A couple of years ago there was a Marlowe based on a Chandler story about the eponymous PI; a few years later Wim Wenders would make his first American feature called Hammett. Just throw out one of these names and the public - at least a certain, hopefully significant part of the public in those days - is going to say "gotta see that." And there was a general movement in the 70s to go back to those old masters, with lots of new adaptations of stories like The Big Sleep. So this fits right in but unfortunately despite the timing being right and a terrific cast toplined by Warren Oates and Leslie Caron and featuring classic noir stalwarts Gloria Grahame and Charles McGraw, this just falls flat. Our eponymous hero (Oates) is a down-on-his-luck PI who takes a job guarding a glamorous government witness (Caron) who's the mistress of a mob boss, and they have the fairly usual round of adventures trying to get away from assassins and such, but it all ends up pretty dull and the characters uninteresting and slack - which takes some doing when Warren Oates is your star. Some good Carmel, CA locations though the film's geography is rather muddled - I don't think you can drive from L.A. to Carmel in a few minutes or an hour.

25. Pulp (Mike Hodges, 1972) 148 checks

Marginally better, maybe, this British production shot in Malta but purporting to be in Italy also boasts a fairly solid cast - Michael Caine as a pulp fiction writer who gets pulled into a noir-tinged adventure of his own, the gorgeous Nadia Cassini as the inevitable possible femme fatale, Dennis Price, and like the previous film, some old-time noir stalwarts: Mickey Rooney, Lizabeth Scott and Lionel Stander. Scott doesnt' have much to do, Rooney's important but only there for a few minutes, and Stander is a key player for once, which is nice. Love that voice! But overall though this is I think attempting to be a sort of "unreliable narrator" story, with Caine talking about his adventures as if writing to his readers, while we see something at times slightly different, it just doesn't develop that aspect well, and doesn't gel as an interesting adventure in any way. Wasted cast and location work overall - nothing much to see here, move along.

26. Arabian Adventure (Kevin Connor, 1979) 36 checks

British director Connor made five fantasy-adventure films from 1974-9, the first three of which (The Land That TIme Forgot, At the Earth's Core, The People That TIme Forgot were Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptations, the next (Warlords of Atlantis) an original screenplay set guess where, and lastly this film which is...you can guess the setting. I love this kind of stuff and had seen the first four films all at least a decade or more ago, but for some reason never got to this one until now. Odd, I had a bad feeling about it despite liking the others and this one having a similar IMDb rating. At any rate it's much the same - cheap but with a sense of fun about it, and a feeling that there's some love in this. It feels in 1979 as if it belongs in another era, if you're used to the bigger-budgeted fantasy-sf films that were gaining traction at the time - but most films were not Star Wars or Superman and there were still loads of smaller genre films being made, shot mostly on sets and with less-than-top-notch effects. If you can deal with that then you want a decent story, actors, etc - this provides the latter with the great Christopher Lee as of course the bad guy, an evil sorcerer who wants to obtain a magic rose that will give him ultimate power. To do this he enlists heroic Oliver Tobias, to whom he promises his virginal daughter Emma Samms - of course plotting a double-cross; of course, also, we have a cog in the bad guy's machinations in the case of a kid (Puneet Sira) with a magic amulet that can do all kinds of things. Genies, magic carpets, this has it all on a shoestring budget, plus a cool storm that the bad magician calls down on his own city! It's a lot like the 1940 Thief of Bagdad overall, not 1/10th as good but fun if you like the lower-rent Arabian Nights sorts of things, which I do, and it feels like it belongs to a much earlier age - perhaps all to the good in this particular case.

27. Tatort: Tote Taube in der Beethovenstraße / Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (Samuel Fuller, 1972) (re-watch) 42 checks

There's a making-of documentary on the Olive BD of this feature-length film taken from the West German "Tatort" TV series which I gather was something like an anthology; I suspect the doc will shed some interesting light on this, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it's better than the film. This was dim in my memory - I think I had seen the shorter 102-minute cut back in the 90s at some point, probably at Facets in Chicago - and it wasn't one of Fuller's better films as I recalled - nor does it really improve on the re-watch, this time of the 2-hour-plus director's cut. The beginning and ending are pretty cool, but overall this attempt at a gritty noir story about an international ring of extortionists that mostly prey on big-time politicians falls flat, or at least not lumpy enough to be interesting. Poor sound recording and various actors struggling to one extent or another with their English (star Glenn Corbett is American so no problem there) is one small problem; a larger one is that it's just too repetitive, with several scenes of Corbett (an American agent working undercover to bust the ring and help a US Senator with dreams of the Presidency) and his femme fatale partner (?) Christa Lang (the director's second wife) taking very similar approaches in framing their "clients", in various scenic locales along the Rhein, mostly. There are some of the usual crazy Fuller elements, like the long opening sequence that leads into a kind of cool chase, and an ending that reflects the opening, but on the whole this isn't really successful and it may well have been better in the shorter version.

28. Corvette Summer (Matthew Robbins, 1978) 108 checks

Mark Hamill's next film after Star Wars made him an instant household name has been on my to-see list for decades; I may well have wanted to see it when it came out, if it played in my neck of the woods, and as it was actually a decent-sized hit it probably did. But I never did see it then and it had to wait until this year of nostalgia and isolation, and it was perhaps a good choice for now. It's an odd little movie - it starts out much as I thought it would, as a high school comedy-drama about the geeky shop kid (Hamill) who only loves cars, but it rapidly turns into a somewhat seedy and at times depressing crime/coming of age drama, as the Corvette that Ken (Hamill) has worked on all year gets stolen, and he tracks it to Vegas and gets into all kinds of trouble, much of it involving would-be hooker Vanessa (Annie Potts, also at the beginning of her career). Hamill and Potts make an appealing couple of protagonists, and there are a few unexpected twists, but ultimately this is a little too stupid and creepy - Potts' character is really problematic, given that there's nothing given about her background and we're just supposed to accept that she's always wanted to be a hooker - to really work. Still I'd give it credit for trying to put together summer comedy, crime, and car chases all in one package and at least make it coherent, if not really good.

29. Wim Wenders shorts 12 + 25 + 21 + 13 = 71 minutes

a) Same Player Shoots Again (1968) 30 checks
b) Silver City Revisited (1969) 24 checks
c) Alabama: 2000 Light Years From Home (1969) 14 checks
d) 3 amerikanische LP's (1969) 9 checks

The first two of these are included on the "Road Movies" box set from Criterion but alas are the two least-interesting, both formalist studies that bear little relation to the director's later work and just aren't that interesting on their own. Same Player is just the same short shot of a man in what appears to be an army coat stumbling along a street, repeated with different color filters. Silver City is slightly more interesting because it's different shots - 10 to be precises - of various scenes in Munich along with some static shots of paintings, each about 2 1/2 minutes long. There's occasional music, but not enough as the visuals just aren't that interesting and don't add up to much.

Alabama, which can easily be found unsubbed online (it only has a couple of VERY brief bits of dialogue) actually feels like a "Wenders film", with his obsessions with rock and roll (Hendrix, Dylan and the Stones all heard for a song or two) and the road, and a bit of very minimal crime-story plot. A man apparently has to go do some dirty work, fails, and comes back to the place where his friends sit around and smoke and listen to music to find them dead. Most of it is shots of city streets and rural roads; it's nicely done and if it doesn't do much on it's own it's an interesting prologue to the later feature work.

As is 3 amerikanische LP's, which has Wenders and frequent collaborator Peter Handke discussing Van Morrison's Astral Weeks , Creedence Clearwater Revival's Green River and Harvey Mandel's Cristo Redentor - all new albums at the time, and their relationship with American landscapes, and German landscapes as the visuals give us the latter. There's also a shot of a fourth LP, Quicksilver Messenger Service's Happy Trails at the beginning, so maybe it would have had a different title if they'd discussed that as well. There's a fair bit of dialogue here and I didn't get it all - may watch it a couple more times - but it's mostly the music and images that matter, and this comes closest of these shorts to what the director's early feature work is about. It's also interesting to me that he puts an album from the Northern Irish Van Morrison in this group, though to be fair the album was recorded in New York; still it makes for an interesting thought - what does "American" mean to a non-American, in this case when thinking about a song or album?

My guess is that these third and fourth shorts aren't widely available because of the music rights, which is too bad. A whole disc of all of Wenders' shorts with commentary would be a cool thing to have.

That's it for me, thanks for hosting Melvelet!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » September 1st, 2020, 2:18 pm

Last post of the challenge! Thanks Melvelet for hosting!

213. Doberuman deka a.k.a. Doberman Cop (1977) Checks: 44
Sonny Chiba + Kinji Fukasaku = Boss

214. L'ambizioso a.k.a. The Climber (1975) Checks: 15
This may be one of the better films I've seen Joe Dallesandro in.

215. The Groove Tube (1974) Checks: 104
A similar parody of TV shows and commercials like Kentucky Fried Movie but much less funny. Richard Belzer is featured prominently in several of the sketches and Chevy Chase in his debut shows up briefly in a couple.

216. Toys Are Not for Children (1972) Checks: 34
Don't let the fact that this was originally released by Something Weird on DVD in a double feature with the ludicrous sexploitation sci-fi The Toy Box lead you to think this is some lurid trash. In fact, it's actually a pretty serious and mostly fairly well done about an emotionally stunted young woman with daddy issues.

217. Blutiger Freitag a.k.a. Bloody Friday (1972) Checks: 30
Savage and violent without a lot of plot to get in the way. Pretty ideal grindhouse kind of flick really.

218. Au Pair Girls (1972) Checks: 36
Silly, fluffy British sexploitation movie that's mostly pretty forgettable but has copious nudity if that's all you care about.

219. The Alien Factor (1978) Checks: 61
I actually really dug this. Don Dohler shows a remarkable aptitude for a variety of imaginative creature effects on a shoestring budget. The plot is nothing special and the acting is of the "reading off a cue card" variety, but if you're a fan of practical FX including creature costumes, stop motion, etc. you should check this one out anyway.

220. Sladké hry minulého léta a.k.a. The Sweet Games of Last Summer (1970) Checks: 43
Given this light, joyful frolic is from director Juraj Herz of The Cremator, I'm still not sure if it's carefree nature is intended as some kind of obfuscated critique or if he genuinely just wanted to make a happy movie. Even the tragedy at the end is brushed off pretty quickly.

ImageImage
221a. The Rocking Horse Winner (1977) Checks: 1
221b. The Spider Will Kill You (1976) Checks: 1
Peter Medak adapts the classic story of a boy who can visualize winners of horse races. I need to watch the earlier adaptation from 1949 to compare the two. This one makes some interesting choices with the mother in particular, and I'm not sure how intentional that was.
The Spider Will Kill You is the college thesis film of director David Schmoeller (The Puppet Master) and makes for a nice warm up to his creepy mannequin tour-de-force Tourist Trap.

ImageImageImageImage
222a. Gurendaizâ, Gettâ Robo jî, Gurêto Majingâ - Kessen! Daikaijû a.k.a. Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Great Mazinger: Decisive Battle! Great Sea Beast (1976) Checks: 5
222b. Yuki no Taiyou a.k.a. Yuki's Sun (1972) Checks: 31
222c. Kenju giga a.k.a. Anthropo-Cynical Farce (1970) Checks: 26
222d. Kore ga UFO da! Soratobu enban a.k.a. That Is an UFO! The Flying Saucer (1975) Checks: 1
I sometimes like to have a transition entry from one challenge to the next, so I thought I'd end this month with some '70s anime with few checks. The first one's title is so long is basically explains what's going on. You should know from the name whether you'd want to watch it or not. Robot vs. giant sea monster action basically. Yuki's Sun is an early pilot short from director Hayao Miyazaki, co-founder of Studio Ghibli. Kenju giga is a bleak and cynical short from stop motion maestro Kihachiro Kawamoto. That's a UFO is an add one. It's basically an anime short exploring the history of UFO sightings. It honestly feels a little too short for what it's trying to convey. It's still a neat little curio you really don't come across much though.
SpoilerShow
1. Iracema - Uma Transa Amazônica (1975) Checks: 136
2. Meteor (1979) Checks: 255
3. Le fond de l'air est rouge a.k.a. A Grin Without A Cat (1977) Checks: 339
4. Furcht a.k.a. Fear (1917) Checks: 57
5. Hokkyoku no Mushika Mishika a.k.a. The Adventures of the Polar Cubs (1979) Checks: 2
6. Pays de cocagne a.k.a. Land of Milk & Honey (1971) Checks: 142
7. Tiger by the Tail (1970) Checks: 2
8. The Curse of Doctor Wolffenstein (2015) Checks: 3
9. Rejs a.k.a. The Cruise (1970) Checks: 215
10a. Star Garden (1974) Checks: 322
10b. Come Dancing (1971) Checks: 26
10c. A Recollection... Hanging Rock 1900 (1975) Checks: 1
11. La coda dello scorpione a.k.a. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (1971) Checks: 171
12. Homesdale (1971) Checks: 29
13. Sennentuntschi (2010) Checks: 114
14. The Internecine Project (1974) Checks: 29
15. The Incredible Melting Man (1977) Checks: 281
16. Vem var Dracula? a.k.a. In Search of Dracula (1975) Checks: 16
17. Les amis (1971) Checks: 26
18. Sürü a.k.a. The Herd (1978) Checks: 333
19. Kindaichi Kosuke no boken a.k.a. The Adventures of Kosuke Kindaichi (1979) Checks: 8
20. Stone Cold Dead (1979) Checks: 15
21. Der heilige Berg a.k.a. The Holy Mountain (1926) Checks: 229
22. The Opening of Misty Beethoven (1976) Checks: 156
23. Fårö dokument (1970) Checks: 61
24. Fårö-dokument 1979 (1979) Checks: 68
25. Slaughter (1972) Checks: 66
26. Robot Taekwon V (1976) Checks: 3
27. Hintertreppe (1921) Checks: 68
28. El retorno de Walpurgis a.k.a. Curse of the Devil (1973) Checks: 119
29. Abhimaan (1973) Checks: 284
30. Gozaresh a.k.a. The Report (1977) Checks: 127
31. The World Beyond (1978) Checks: 7
32. The Hart of London (1970) Checks: 270
33. Maîtresse (1976) Checks: 319
34. Violent Shit: The Movie (2015) Checks: 9
35. Executive Action (1973) Checks: 128
36. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1978) Checks: 178
37. Supermen dönüyor a.k.a. Return of Superman (1979) Checks: 42
38. O lipotaktis a.k.a. The Deserter (1970) Checks: 3
39. A Thief in the Night (1972) Checks: 32
40. Seven (1979) Checks: 19
41. The Burning Moon (1992) Checks: 61
42. Canoa (1976) Checks: 198
43. Mädchen im Nachtverkehr a.k.a. Girls in Night Traffic (1976) Checks: 11
44. Free to Be... You & Me (1974) Checks: 15
45. Chi l'ha vista morire? a.k.a. Who Saw Her Die? (1972) Checks: 233
46. The Epic That Never Was (1965) Checks: 22
47. Lin Shi Rong a.k.a. The Magnificent Butcker (1979) Checks: 355
48. Gamera tai Daimaju Jaiga a.k.a. Gamera vs. Jiger (1970) Checks: 70
49. Play for Today: Robin Redbreast (1970) Checks: 20
50. The Muppets Go Hollywood (1979) Checks: 41
51. Figures in a Landscape (1970) Checks: 101
52. A Tattered Web (1971) Checks: 3
53. Angels Die Hard (1970) Checks: 4
54. Xing xing wang a.k.a. The Mighty Peking Man (1977) Checks: 126
55. L'araignée d'eau a.k.a. The Water Spider (1971) Checks: 6
56. La porta sul buio: Il vicino di casa a.k.a. Doors of Darkness: The Neighbor (1973) Checks: 9
57-58. Frankenstein: The True Story (1973) Checks: 46
59. Maidstone (1970) Checks: 64
60. Masks (2011) Checks: 46
61. I Heard the Owl Call My Name (1973) Checks: 3
62. Von Richthofen and Brown (1971) Checks: 42
63. The Planters (2019) Checks: 1
64. The Norliss Tapes (1973) Checks: 36
65. Hell a.k.a. Apocalypse (2011) Checks: 303
66. Anomalo fortio a.k.a. Dangerous Cargo (1977) Checks: 4
67. The White Buffalo (1977) Checks: 132
68. Mame (1974) Checks: 134
69. The Premonition (1976) Checks: 47
70. Yek Etefagh sadeh a.k.a. A Simple Event (1974) Checks: 132
71. Ban jin ba liang a.k.a. The Private Eyes (1974) Checks: 135
72. Blaise Pascal (1972) Checks: 135
73. Alambrista! (1977) Checks: 198
74. Keepers of the Magic (2016) Checks: 4
75. Hagazussa (2017) Checks: 165
76. Interferenz (2014) Checks: 2
77. Beton (2011) Checks: 1
78. Tatsu no ko Tarô a.k.a. Taro the Dragon Boy (1979) Checks: 53
79. My Darling Vivian (2020) Checks: 8
80. Pure S (1975) Checks: 26
81. Os Inconfidentes a.k.a. The Conspirators (1972) Checks: 56
82a. Children of the Fields (1973) Checks: 6
82b. A Linguagem da Persuasão (1970) Checks: 11
82c. O Aleijadinho (1978) Checks: 13
83. Who? (1973) Checks: 30
84. Hell's Bloody Devils (1970) Checks: 13
85. Carcinoma (2014) Checks: 3
86. The Stud (1978) Checks: 44
87. Quadroon (1971) Checks: 4
88. Misbehaviour (2020) Checks: 55
89. Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure (1977) Checks: 50
90. La porta sul buio: La bambola a.k.a. Doors of Darkness: The Dolls (1973) Checks: 9
91. Pink Narcissus (1971) Checks: 245
92. Un'ombra nell'ombra a.k.a. Ring of Darkness a.k.a. Satan's Wife (1979) Checks: 12
93. China Girl (1975) Checks: 6
94. Black Love (1971) Checks: 16
95. Erotic Point of View (1974) Checks: 4
96. Homer... The Late Comer (1970) Checks: 2
97. La morte risale a ieri sera a.k.a. Death Took Place Last Night (1970) Checks: 32
98. The Plumber (1979) Checks: 212
99. How much Wood would a Woodchuck chuck... - Beobachtungen zu einer neuen Sprache (1976) Checks: 220
100. Uchû senkan Yamato a.k.a. Space Battleship Yamato (1977) Checks: 9
101. Gyeoulyeoja a.k.a. Winter Woman (1977) Checks: 24
102a. The Blessing (2019) Checks: 1
102b. To Be with You (2019) Checks: 1
102c. Stucco (2019) Checks: 8
102d. Girl Acrobatics (1971) Checks: 2
102e. Adullam (2020) Checks: 1
103. Nuits rouges a.k.a. Shadowman (1974) Checks: 124
104. La orgía de los muertos a.k.a. The Hanging Woman (1973) Checks: 29
105. Moonwalk One (1971) Checks: 53
106. Vigilante Force (1976) Checks: 46
107. Die Erben a.k.a. The Inheritors (1983) Checks: 11
108. Mr. Horatio Knibbles (1971) Checks: 8
109. Definition Please (2020) Checks: 1
110. Criminally Insane (1975) Checks: 60
111a. Peege (1973) Checks: 87
111b. Harana (2020) Checks: 1
111c. I, an Actress (1977) Checks: 383
111d. Multiple SIDosis (1970) Checks: 356
112-113. Cartesius E1-2 (1974) Checks: 94
114. Die Farbe a.k.a. The Color Out of Space (2010) Checks: 57
115. Play for Today: Nuts in May (1976) Checks: 338
116. Through the Looking Glass (1976) Checks: 41
117. Furimukeba ai a.k.a. Take Me Away (1978) Checks: 4
118. Absolution (1978) Checks: 61
119. Blood Stalkers (1978) Checks: 17
120. Omnibus: Dance of the Seven Veils (1970) Checks: 13
121. Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989) Checks: 372
122. Disco Godfather (1979) Checks: 108
123. Dang kou tan a.k.a. The Bloody Fists (1972) Checks: 44
124. La porta sul buio: Testimone oculare a.k.a. Doors of Darkness: Eyewitness (1973) Checks: 21
125. Akai kami no onna a.k.a. The Woman with Red Hair (1979)
126. Demons of the Mind (1972) Checks: 90
127. Roma drogata: la polizia non può intervenire (1975) Checks: 8
128. Bunker of the Dead (2015) Checks: 15
129. Genèse d'un repas a.k.a. Origins of a Meal (1979) Checks: 49
130. Trouble Man (1972) Checks: 60
131. Satan's Children (1975) Checks: 28
132. Betrayal (1974) Checks: 1
133. Al-risâlah a.k.a. The Message (1976) Checks: 135
134. A Safe Place (1971) Checks: 266
135. Confessions of a Young American Housewife (1974) Checks: 23
136. Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came? (1970) Checks: 4
137. Sticenik a.k.a. Ward (1973) Checks: 20
138. Bombay to Goa (1972) Checks: 38
139a. Shrek's Thrilling Tales (2012) Checks: 25
139b. Monsters vs Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space (2009) Checks: 159
140-144. Acht Stunden sind kein Tag a.k.a. Eight Hours Don't Make A Day (1972) E1-5 Checks: 74
145. Emma, puertas oscuras (1974) Checks: 6
146. Halloween with the New Addams Family (1977) Checks: 13
147. Hitler, ein Film aus Deutschland a.k.a. Hitler: A Film From Germany (1977) Checks: 315
148. To the Devil a Daughter (1976) Checks: 252
149a. GraceLand (2020) Checks: 1
149b. Scared Shrekless (2010) Checks: 215
149c. My Friend Lisa (2017) Checks: 1
149d. The Maltese Cross Movement (1967) Checks: 36
150. Son of Dracula (1974) Checks: 14
151. Korol Lir a.k.a. King Lear (1971) Checks: 266
152. Bleacher Bums (1979) Checks: 2
153. L'uomo, la donna e la bestia - Spell (Dolce mattatoio) a.k.a. Man, Woman and Beast (1977) Checks: 28
154. Awdat al ibn al dal a.k.a. Return of the Prodigal Son (1976) Checks: 38
155. Viktor Vogel - Commercial Man a.k.a. Advertising Rules (2001) Checks: 21
156. Foes (1977) Checks: 5
157. Last of the Red Hot Lovers (1972) Checks: 21
158. If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do? (1971) Checks: 40
159. Zai jian Zhongguo a.k.a. China Behind (1978) Checks: 23
160. Hwabun a.k.a. The Pollen of Flowers (1972) Checks: 38
161. Storm Boy (1976) Checks: 161
162. Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray (1970) Checks: 50
163. Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975) Checks: 73
164. Stigma (1972) Checks: 14
165. Agit (1972) Checks: 50
166. Behind the Green Door (1972) Checks: 223
167. La noche de Walpurgis a.k.a. The Werewolf Versus the Vampire Woman (1971) Checks: 167
168-170. L'età di Cosimo de Medici a.k.a. The Age of the Medici E1-3 (1972) Checks: 84
171. Der Joker a.k.a. Lethal Obsession (1987) Checks: 8
172. Hornets' Nest (1970) Checks: 29
173. San Francisco Ball (1971) Checks: 3
174a. Ascensor (1978) Checks: 97
174b. Wilmington (1970) Checks: 44
175c. I'm a Fool (1977) Checks: 1
176. A*P*E (1976) Checks: 46
177. Pursuit (1972) Checks: 6
178. Billy Two Hats (1974) Checks: 35
179. Sarah T. - Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic (1975) Checks: 10
180. Anderusen dôwa ningyo-hime a.k.a. The Little Mermaid (1975) Checks: 73
181. Das Frauenhaus a.k.a. Blue Rita (1977) Checks: 25
182. Berlin-Alexanderplatz - Die Geschichte Franz Biberkopfs (1931) Checks: 225
183. Kotch (1971) Checks: 75
184. Der Staat gegen Fritz Bauer a.k.a. The People vs. Fritz Bauer (2015) Checks: 182
185. Cromwell (1970) Checks: 222
186. Roar (1981) Checks: 304
187. The House That Would Not Die (1970) Checks: 35
188. Im Schloß der blutigen Begierde a.k.a. Castle of Bloody Lust (1968) Checks: 6
189. Hitomi no naka no houmonsha a.k.a. Visitor in the Eye (1977) Checks: 10
190. The California Kid (1974) Checks: 33
191. Massacre at Central High (1976) Checks: 94
192. I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978) Checks: 390
193. Gospel Road: A Story of Jesus (!973) Checks: 9
194. German Angst (2015) Checks: 57
195. Supercock (1975) Checks: 2
196. A Piece of the Action (1977) Checks: 22
197. Spider-Man Strikes Back (1978) Checks: 69
198. Di si zhang hua a.k.a. The Fourth Portrait (2010) Checks: 29
199. I violenti di Roma bene a.k.a. Violence for Kicks (1976) Checks: 4
200. Decoder (1984) Checks: 70
201a. To Fly (1976) Checks: 119
201b. The Shetland Experience (1977) Checks: 58
201c. Wind Vane (1972) Checks: 103
202. Kagaku ninja tai Gatchaman a.k.a. Gatchaman The Movie (1978) Checks: 7
203. Der Bunker (2015) Checks: 90
204. The Pied Piper (1972) Checks: 78
205a. The Summoned (1974) Checks: 1
205b. A Taste of Flesh (1976) Checks: 1
206a. Despondent Yearning (1973) Checks: 1
206b. Interspersions (1974) Checks: 1
206c. Homicidal (1975) Checks: 1
206d. A Fistful of Pasta (1974) Checks: 1
207. Devicanska svirka (1973) Checks: 10
208. Terminal Point (1969) Checks: 4
209a. Vernal Equinox (1968) Checks: 4
209b. A Rumbling in the Land (1969) Checks: 4
209c. I Am Joaquin (1969) Checks: 203
210. The Legacy (1977) Checks: 77
211. Godspell: A Musical Based on the Gospel According to St. Matthew (1973) Checks: 223
212. Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020) Checks: 138
213. Doberuman deka a.k.a. Doberman Cop (1977) Checks: 44
214. L'ambizioso a.k.a. The Climber (1975) Checks: 15
215. The Groove Tube (1974) Checks: 104
216. Toys Are Not for Children (1972) Checks: 34
217. Blutiger Freitag a.k.a. Bloody Friday (1972) Checks: 30
218. Au Pair Girls (1972) Checks: 36
219. The Alien Factor (1978) Checks: 61
220. Sladké hry minulého léta a.k.a. The Sweet Games of Last Summer (1970) Checks: 43
221a. The Rocking Horse Winner (1977) Checks: 1
221b. The Spider Will Kill You (1976) Checks: 1
222a. Gurendaizâ, Gettâ Robo jî, Gurêto Majingâ - Kessen! Daikaijû a.k.a. Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Great Mazinger: Decisive Battle! Great Sea Beast (1976) Checks: 5
222b. Yuki no Taiyou a.k.a. Yuki's Sun (1972) Checks: 31
222c. Kenju giga a.k.a. Anthropo-Cynical Farce (1970) Checks: 26
222d. Kore ga UFO da! Soratobu enban a.k.a. That Is an UFO! The Flying Saucer (1975) Checks: 1

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » September 1st, 2020, 3:24 pm

I finished off the month with all the films I watched at this year's (online only) Frightfest. Whether due to lack of choice, distributors unwilling to premiere their films on a streaming platform, prior commitments to sponsors or poor choices on my part, this was easily the most underwhelming selection of films I've ever seen presented by Frightfest.
Previously watched...Show
1. The Kid Who Would Be King (Cornish, 2019) Checks: 326 3/10
2. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II / The Haunting of Hamilton High (Pittman, 1987) Checks: 267 5 or 6/10
3. Backcountry / Blackfoot Trail (MacDonald, 2014) Checks: 387 4/10
4. VFW (Begos, 2019) Checks: 95 4/10
5. The Interview (Monahan, 1998) Checks: 399 5/10
6. Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (Lobb-McCallum, 2017) Checks: 51 5/10
7. Some Guy Who Kills People (Perez, 2011) Checks: 217 4/10
8. Gantz: O (Kawamura-Sato, 2016) Checks: 305 3/10
9. There's No Such Thing as Vampires (Thomas, 2020) Checks: 1
A bleeding young man flags down a woman driving a car, and then they are chased around the desert by a vampire driving a truck. Pacing and storytelling was completely off. After the opening chase the movie deflated and it was over halfway through before the vampire appeared. The whole plot is eventually explained and resolved by a single infodump right at the end.
3/10

10. 12 Hour Shift (Grant, 2020) Checks: 3
A black comedy farce about nurses running around a hospital trying to steal organs. Quite frantic and with some good performances but unfortunately not very funny.
4/10

11. The Honeymoon Phase (Carroll Jr., 2019) Checks: 1
A couple are part of an experiment where they have to live together and the guy goes evil. Nothing much happens until an absurd sci-fi ending.
3/10

12. Playhouse (Watts-Watts, 2020) Checks: 1
Low-budget, extremely boring ghost story. The main actor did a good job with his lines, but there was nothing interesting happening.
2/10

13. They're Outside (Casserly-Hayles, 2020) Checks: 1
Amateur found footage about a YouTuber psychologist interviewing an agoraphobic woman. This is basically a Blair Witch ripoff with dire acting. The person I watched this with hated it, but it did hold some occasional moments of interest.
3/10

14. Don't Click (Kim, 2020) Checks: 1
Badly-made torture porn. It's expanded from a short film, and it feels like it, with the story being stretched thin and punctuated by sadistic torture. It was actually this torture that saved it from a dislike, because it was brutal stuff.
3/10

15. Skull: The Mask (Furman-Fonseca, 2020) Checks: 2
Brazilian splatter about a skull monster who goes around killing people in bizarre gory ways. The kills were good, but there's too much screentime devoted to a policewoman tediously investigating the murders.
4/10

16. Hail to the Deadites (Villeneuve, 2020) Checks: 2
Documentary about Evil Dead fans. The documentary has little insight into its subjects, and descends into a succession of people boasting about what big fans they are and showing off their collections.
3/10

17. Hall (Giannini, 2020) Checks: 1
People get infected by a virus and slowly make their way up and down a hotel hall. Feels like one suspense scene stretched to a whole movie.
3/10

18. Aquaslash (Gauthier, 2019) Checks: 13
This seems like a can't miss premise: a slasher killing people with booby-trapped water slides... except it turns out that's only five minutes at the end of the movie and the rest is scenes of obnoxious teens partying.
2/10

19. Enhanced (Mark, 2019) Checks: 1
People with superpowers find themselves hunted by an evil goverment organisation that wants to control them and an evil supervillain who is stealing their powers. Nothing original, ends up like a SyFy original movie with some OK fight scenes.
3/10

20. Blinders (Savage, 2020) Checks: 1
The best thing I saw at this Frightfest. It doesn't add much to the psycho stalker genre, but it's well-made and engaging. Twist at the end was a bit much, but it was a fun throwback to 90s yuppie peril films.
5/10

21. The Swerve (Kapsalis, 2018) Checks: 1
An ultra-bleak tragic drama. There's a great central performance from Azura Skye, but the other characters aren't particularly interesting and the sequence of tragic events become wearing and doesn't have enough of a pay off.
4/10

The shorts were generally much better than the films. Bark, Jeff Drives You, Ouzo & Blackcurrant, Guest and Death Walks on Nitrate were my favourites.

22. Shorts [Total time = 72 mins.]
a. Bark (Irving, 2020) [6 mins] Checks: 1
b. A Bit Of Fun (Kosky, 2019) [9 mins] Checks: 1
c. Jeff Drives You (Brezonick, 2019) [18 mins] Checks: 1
d. Ouzo & Blackcurrant (Luurtsema, 2019) [7 mins] Checks: 1
e. Guest (Callan, 2020) [12 mins] Checks: 1
f. Werewolf (Meedt, 2020) [10 mins] Checks: 1
g. The Motorist (Lyons, 2020) [10 mins] Checks: 1

23. Shorts [Total time = 65 mins.]
a. Love Bite (Lauzirika, 2019) [17 mins] Checks: 1
b. Wash (Carlsson, 2019) [7 mins] Checks: 1
c. Fuel (Sylvester, 2019) [9 mins] Checks: 1
d. Polvotron 500 (Conesa, 2020) [11 mins] Checks: 1
e. Death Walks on Nitrate (Fermini, 2020) [8 mins] Checks: 1
f. The Afterlife Bureau (Dimitroff, 2019) [13 mins] Checks: 1

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » September 1st, 2020, 7:00 pm

8.-12. Acht Stunden sind kein Tag [Eight Hours Don't Make a Day] (1972, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) 76 checks: 9.0
13. Friday Foster (1975, Arthur Marks) 110 checks: 7.0
SpoilerShow
1. Numéro deux (1975, Jean-Luc Godard) 342 checks: 7.0
2. Drive, He Said (1971, Jack Nicholson) 351 checks: 6.8
3. A Safe Place (1971, Henry Jaglom) 266 checks: 6.5 -
4. Comment ça va? (1976, Anne-Marie Miéville & Jean-Luc Godard) 76 checks: 6.8
5. For Ever Mozart (1996, Jean-Luc Godard) 188 checks: 4.0
6. Warnung vor einer heiligen Nutte [Beware of a Holy Whore] (1971, Rainer Werner Fassbinder) 343 checks:: 6.2
7. Les rendez-vous d'Anna [The Meetings of Anna] (1978, Chantal Akerman) 390 checks:: 6.5

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » September 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm

82. Da e kou; aka: The Tongfather (1974 / Peng Tien) FTV 7+/10 {92 m.} 6 checks
83. Ju ma pao; aka: Return of the Kung Fu Dragon (1976 / Chi-lien Yu, Kang Yu) FTV 7+/10 {84 m.} 16 checks
84. 984: Prisoner of the Future (1982 / Tibor Takacs) FTV 5/10 {76 m.} 6 checks
85. Beyond the Moon (1954 / Hollingsworth Morse) FTV 5+/10 {76 m.} 6 checks
86. Hyper Sapien: People from Another Star (1986 / Peter R. Hunt) FTV 6/10 {92 m.} 7 checks
87. The Sky’s On Fire (1999 / Dan Lerner) FTV 5/10 {89 m.} 8 checks

I wasn't planning on doing this challenge this month and joined on a lark after discovering that everything I had been watching qualified already, but I've enjoyed it all the way to the end. As a personal challenge I decided to get my average "checks" watched as low as possible and that was fun, resulting in watching a lot of films I never would have seen otherwise. Right on the heels of the low-rated challenge I've discovered that fewer checks may be an even greater judgment of a film's turkey status than low-ratings are as a lot of these films ended up being a chore to sit through and my overall ratings seemed to skew lower than they did last month. But I also discovered quite a few films that were a lot of fun and I may want to revisit someday. All in all, a very worthwhile and entertaining month of film watching.

Thanks for hosting melvelet! this is my final update. :cheers:

More Flicks, Less ChecksShow
1. The Assignment (2016 / Walter Hill) FTV 7/10 {95 m.} 108 checks
2. The Tracker (2019 / Giorgio Serafini) FTV 6/10 {95 m.} 2 checks
3. Black Water (2018 / Pasha Patriki) FTV 7/10 {104 m.} 43 checks
4. Dragonheart Vengeance (2020 / Ivan Silvestrini) FTV 7+/10 {97 m.} 11 checks
5. Space Guardians (2017 / Enzo Di Giacomo) FTV 3/10 {74 m.} 1 check
6. Ice Dragon: Legend of the Blue Daisies (2018 / Bruce W. Stacey) FTV 3/10 {70 m.} 3 checks
7. The Outer Wild (2018 / Philip Chidel) FTV 6/10 {85 m.} 2 checks
8. Shinkaiju Reigo; aka: Reigo, the Deep-Sea Monster vs. the Battleship Yamato (2005 / Shinpei Hayashiya) FTV 4+/10 {81 m.} 6 checks
9. Mary (2019 / Michael Goi) FTV 5-/10 {84 m. } 41 checks
10. Christmas Icetastrophe; aka: A Christmas Tale (2014 / Jonathan Winfrey) FTV 7/10 {86 m.} 30 checks
11. Ghosts on the Loose (1943 / William Beaudine) FTV 5/10 {67 m.} 50 checks
12. The Ghost and the Guest (1943 / William Nigh) FTV 4/10 {61 m.} 12 checks
13. Galaxy; aka: Battle for the Lost Planet (1986 / Brett Piper) FTV 7/10 {101 m.} 15 checks
14. Muckman (2009 / Brett Piper) FTV 7/10 {80 m.} 4 checks
15. Queen Crab (2015 / Brett Piper) FTV 7/10 {81 m.} 2 checks
16. Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood (2017 / Matt Tyrnauer) FTV 7+/10 {98 m.} 38 checks
17. Dilili a Paris (2018 / Michel Ocelot) FTV 7/10 {95 m.} 30 checks
18. Charlotte’s Song; aka: Mermaid’s Song (2015 / Nicholas Humphries) FTV 6/10 {88 m.} 3 checks
19. Inhumanwich! (2016 / David Cornelius) FTV 7+/10 {73 m.} 5 checks
20. The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre (1964 / Joseph Stefano) FTV ?/10 {80 m.} 8 checks
21. Exterminadores do Além Contra a Loira do Banheiro; aka: Ghost Killers vs. Bloody Mary (2018 / Fabricio Bittar) FTV 6/10 {103 m.} 14 checks
22. Sucker; aka: A Mosquito-Man (2013 / Michael Manasseri) FTV 7+/10 {79 m.} 3 checks
23. Hobbyhorse Revolution (2017 / Selma Vilhunen) FTV 7/10 {88 m.} 13 checks
24. Sidechic Gang (2018 / Peter Sedufia) FTV 5+/10 {91 m.} 1 check
25. Bai She: Yuan Qi; aka: White Snake (2019 / Amp Wong, Ji Zhao) FTV 7+/10 {99 m.} 33 checks
26. Close Encounters of the Inbred Redneck Kind (2012 / Chris Seaver) FTV 7/10 {65 m.} 3 checks
27. SpaceDisco One (2007 / Damon Packard) FTV 7/10 {58 m.} 12 checks
28. Foxfur (2012 / Damon Packard) FTV 7/10 {61 m.} 19 checks
29. Tales Beyond Madness (2018 / Damon Packard) FTV 7/10 {61 m.} 7 checks
30. Hei ming dan; aka: Ninja Heat (1972 / Mar Lo) FTV 7/10 {85 m.} 2 checks
31. Ninja Empire (1990 / Godfrey Ho) FTV 3+/10 {78 m.} 4 checks
32. Soft Matter (2018 / Jim Hickcox) FTV 7+/10 {72 m.} 5 checks
33. Ahockalypse (2018 / Wayne Harry Johnson Jr.) FTV 4/10 {79 m.} 3 checks
34. Asockalypse! (2016 / Carrie Schoenfeld) FTV 3/10 {92 m.} 1 check
35. Apocalypse Road (2016 / Brett Bentman) FTV 4/10 {88 m.} 3 checks
36. The Apocalypse (2007 / Justin Jones) 5+/10 {94 m.} 18 checks
37. Apocalypse Rising (2018 / Richard Lowry) FTV 7/10 {83 m.} 2 checks
38. Vampegeddon (2010 / Jeffrey Alan Miller) FTV 4/10 {75 m.} 4 checks
39. The Cyberstalking (1999 / Brian Grant) FTV 4/10 {90 m.} 3 checks
40. Beyond Lemuria: The Shaver Mystery and the Secrets of Mt. Shasta (2007 / Gregory Jednack) FTV 3/10 {102 m.} 2 checks
41. Halloween Pussy Trap Kill Kill (2017 / Jared Cohn) FTV 7/10 {86 m.} 7 checks
42. Aleister Crowley: Legend of the Beast (2013 / Dom Lenoir) FTV 2/10 {89 m.} 1 check
43. Calling All Earthlings (2013 / Dom Lenoir) FTV 7/10 {89 m.} 4 checks
44. El Monstro del Mar! (2010 / Stuart Simpson) FTV 7+/10 {75 m.} 12 checks
45. For the Cause (2000 / David and Tim Douglas) FTV 5+/10 {100 m.} 7 checks
46. Convict 762 (1997 / Luca Bercovici) FTV 5+/10 {97 m.} 6 checks
47. Killer Deal (1999 / Clay Borris) FTV 6/10 {90 m.} 1 check
48. Hard Night Falling (2019 / Giorgio Bruno) FTV 5+/10 {85 m.} 1 check
49. Alienween (2016 / Federico Sfascia) FTV 6/10 {90 m.} 2 checks
50. The Mummy Theme Park (2000 / Massimiliano Cerchi) FTV 6/10 {88 m.} 3 checks
51. Suffering Bible (2018 / Davide Pesca) FTV 3/10 {65 m.} 1 check
52. Insect (2017 / Evan Jacobs) FTV 7/10 {75 m.} 1 check
53. Alberta Hunter: My Castle’s Rockin’ (1988 / Stuart A. Goldman) FTV 7+/10 {58 m.} 2 checks
54. A Tuba to Cuba (2018 / TG Herrington, Danny Clinch) FTV 7/10 {82 m.} 4 checks
55. The Shrunken City (1998 / Ted Nicolaou) FTV 5+/10 {90 m.} 6 checks
56. The Secret Kingdom (1998 / David Schmoeller) FTV 4+/10 {90 m.} 4 checks
57. The Excalibur Kid (1999 / James Head) FTV 3/10 {88 m.} 2 checks
58. Search for the Jewel of Polaris: Mysterious Museum (1999 / David Schmoeller) FTV 4/10 {91 m.} 3 checks
59. Terror of the Plains (1934 / Harry S. Webb) FTV 6+/10 {58 m.} 3 checks
60. Il gladiator di Roma; aka: Gladiator of Rome (1962 / Mario Costa) FTV 6+/10 {100 m.} 1 check
61. I dieci gladiatori; aka: The Ten Gladiators (1963 / Gianfranco Parolini) FTV 6+/10 {110 m.} 4 checks
62. I due gladiatori; aka: The Two Gladiators (1964 / Mario Caiano) FTV 6+/10 {100 m.} 5 checks
63. Maciste nelle miniere del re Salomone; aka: Maciste in King Solomon’s Mines (1964 / Piero Regnoli) FTV 6/10 {92 m.} 3 checks
64. Il trionfo di Maciste; aka: Triumph of Maciste (1961 / Tanio Boccia) FTV 6+/10 {88 m.} 3 checks
65. Ursus nella valle dei Leoni; aka: Ursus in the Valley of the Lions (1961 / Carlo Ludovico Bragaglia) FTV 7/10 {94 m.} 5 checks
66. Ursus nella terra di fuoco; aka: Ursus in the Land of Fire (1963 / Giorgio Simonelli) FTV 7/10 {90 m.} 4 checks
67. Simbad contro I sette saraceni; aka: Ali Baba and the 7 Saracens (1964 / Emimmo Salvi) FTV 6+/10 {94 m.} 5 checks
68. The Laramie Kid (1935 / Harry S. Webb) FTV 7/10 {57 m.} 3 checks
69. Pies Ligeros; aka: Swift Feet (2016 / Juan Carlos Nunez) FTV 8/10 {64 m.} 2 checks
70. Ultramarathon Man: 50 Marathons, 50 States, 50 Days (2008 / J.B. Benna) FTV 8/10 {109 m.} 9 checks
71. Cinema Hong Kong: Kung Fu (2003 / Ian Taylor) FTV 7+/10 {47 m.} 17 checks
72. Ambush Valley (1936 / Bernard B. Ray) FTV 5+/10 {48 m.} 4 checks
73. Steampunk Samurai Biker Chick (2012 / Jose Figueroa) FTV 2/10 {91 m.} 1 check
74. The Bad Samaritan Must Die! (2012 / Andrew Leckonby, John Raine) FTV 3/10 {50 m.} 2 checks
75. Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations (2007 / Akiko Honda, Shunsuke Tada, Hideyo Yamamoto) FTV 6+/10 {75 m.} 7 checks
76. Tsubasa: shunraiki Zenpen; aka: Tsubasa: Spring Thunder (2009 / Akiko Honda, Shunsuke Tada, Hideyo Yamamoto) FTV 6+/10 {60 m.} 1 check
77. Cheerleader Chainsaw Chicks (2018 / Virginia Perfili) FTV 3/10 {80 m.} 2 checks
78. Lung II (2016 / Phil Stevens) FTV 2/10 {74 m.} 2 checks
79. Blood Riders: The Devil Rides With Us (2013 / Lari Teras) FTV 7/10 {71 m.} 1 check
80. Ren hu lian; aka: Tiger Love (1977 / Kuang Hui, Yi-Hsiu Lin) FTV 6/10 {92 m.} 4 checks
81. Run For Your Life (2015 / Christopher Sheffield) FTV 6/10 {67 m.} 1 check

82. Da e kou; aka: The Tongfather (1974 / Peng Tien) FTV 7+/10 {92 m.} 6 checks
83. Ju ma pao; aka: Return of the Kung Fu Dragon (1976 / Chi-lien Yu, Kang Yu) FTV 7+/10 {84 m.} 16 checks
84. 984: Prisoner of the Future (1982 / Tibor Takacs) FTV 5/10 {76 m.} 6 checks
85. Beyond the Moon (1954 / Hollingsworth Morse) FTV 5+/10 {76 m.} 6 checks
86. Hyper Sapien: People from Another Star (1986 / Peter R. Hunt) FTV 6/10 {92 m.} 7 checks
87. The Sky’s On Fire (1999 / Dan Lerner) FTV 5/10 {89 m.} 8 checks

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 1st, 2020, 9:10 pm

Managed to sneak in one more...
You probably haven’t heard of these filmsShow
1. Breaker! Breaker! (1977) 257 checks
2. The American West of John Ford (1971) 20 checks
3. On Location: George Carlin at USC (1977) 83 Checks
4. The Cassandra Crossing (1976) 260 Checks
5. Dartktown Strutters (1975) 112 Checks
6. The Girls from Thunder Strip (1970) 7 checks
7. She's Beautiful When She's Angry (2014) 152 Checks
8. On Any Sunday (1971) 59 checks
9. Climate Refugees (2010) 3 checks
10. Chariots of the Gods (1970, Germany) 99 Checks
11. Moonwalk One (1972) 54 Checks
12. Connected by Coffee (2014) 5 Checks
13. Despair (1978, Germany) 247 Checks #sol
14. The Civil Hoax: Civil War Deniers (2018) 1 Check
15. An Injury to One (2002) 55 Checks
16. White Like Me (2013) 6 Checks
17. What is Democracy? (2018) 10 Checks
"18-20. Shorts: (181m):
Quiet as Kept (2007) 56 checks
Kama Sutra Rides Again (1971, 9m) 305 Checks
Holding (1971, 13m) 69 Checks
The End of One (1973, 7m) 157 Checks
Tup Tup (1972, 10m) 285 Checks
Sodoma (1970, 16m) 225 Checks
Sort of a Commercial for an Icebag (1970, 15m) 158 Checks
Beauty Knows No Pain (1972, 26m) 168 Checks
8 Flags for 99¢ (1970, 30m) 99 Checks
Apotheosis (1970, 18m) 182 Checks
Canyon (1970, 6m) 304 Checks
Fly (1970, 25m) 143 Checks"
21. Urzila Carlson: Overqualified Loser (2020) 9 Checks
22. Sam Jay: 3 in the Morning (2020) 4 Checks
23. Revenge of the Electric Car (2011) 105 Checks
24. A Billion Lives (2016) 8 Checks
25. Mission Control: The Unsung Heroes of Apollo (2017) 56 Checks
26. Ghostheads (2016) 45 Checks
27. In Search of the Last Action Heroes (2019) 23 Checks
28. Honor and Glory (1993) 37 Checks
29. The Hurricane Heist (2018) 291 Checks
30. ReMastered: Who Killed Jam Master Jay? (2018) 30 Checks

Not great, but it was interesting to hear a little more about JMJ and the mystery surrounding his death, which I knew of, but not a lot about. 6/10

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » September 1st, 2020, 9:45 pm

Please post your final entries if you haven't already. I hope you all had a fun challenge :)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 2nd, 2020, 12:38 am

(Screenshots/promotional material from 'Võlg', 'Espejismo' and Juanes Feat. Fuego: Mía Mía)

26. Band of Thieves (1962, Peter Bezencenet) 6.5 or 7/10 / 1 check
27. Võlg / Debt (1966, Valdur Himbek) 9/10 / 5 checks
28. Oi andres xeroun n' agapoun / Men Know How to Love (1971, Apostolos Tegopoulos) 6/10 / 2 checks
29. Espejismo / Mirage (1972, Armando Robles Godoy) 9/10 / 38 checks
30. Nothing But the Night (1973, Peter Sasdy) 7/10 / 53 checks

And, to close with, an assortment of shorts and music videos:

31-33.
Cruising the West Indies: Nassau (1938, André de la Varre) 5/10 / 10 minutes / 2 checks
Britain at Bay (1940, Harry Watt) 6.5/10 / 7 minutes / 7 checks
The Heart of Britain (1941, Humphrey Jennings) 9 or 9.5/10 / 10 minutes / 33 checks
Night Shift (1942, J.D. Chambers) 7/10 / 14 minutes / 1 check
Breathing Space (1943, Charles De la Tour) 5 or 5.5/10 / 11 minutes / 1 check
Tyneside Story (1943, Gilbert Gunn) 8/10 / 15 minutes / 3 checks
The Channel Islands 1940-1945 (1945, Gerard Bryant) 7/10 / 17 minutes / 2 checks
We of the West Riding (1946, Ken Annakin) 8 or 8.5/10 / 21 minutes / 4 checks
Copenhagen at Noon (1954, Sten Jørgensen) 5.5/10 / 14 minutes / 1 check
Milos Kopecký: Mackie Messer (1960, Ladislav Rychman) 7.5/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check
La coda / The Tail (1989, Gianluigi Toccafondo) 8/10 / 2 minutes / 8 checks
Thalía: No me enseñaste (2002, Antti Jokinen) 6/10 / 4 minutes / 1 check
Juanes: Mala gente (2003, Picky Talarico) / 3 minutes / 1 check
Le syndrome de Cyrano (2004, Camille Saféris) 6.5 or 7/10 / 8 minutes / 1 check
Traffic Warden (2004, Donald Rice) 6/10 / 11 minutes / 35 checks
Juanes: La camisa negra (2005, Rogelio Sikander) 7/10 / 4 minutes / 1 check
Nelly Furtado: Say It Right (2006, Chris Cottam, Rankin) 5.5/10 / 4 minutes / 2 checks
Jigsaw Girl (2008, Lucas Testro) 6.5/10 / 7 minutes / 2 checks
Juanes: Tres (2008, Vince Haycock) 6/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check
Madonna Feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland: 4 Minutes (2008, Jonas Euvremer, François Rousselet) 4.5 or 5/10 / 4 minutes / 2 checks
Timbaland Feat. Keri Hilson, Nicole Scherzinger: Scream (2008, Justin Francis) 3/10 / 4 minutes / 1 check
Juanes: Fuego (2016, Kacho López-Mari) 5/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check
Juanes Feat. Kali Uchis: El ratico (2017, no director credited) 6.5 or 7/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check
Her Name Is... (2018, Claire Byrne, Lydia McGuinness) 7/10 / 10 minutes / 1 check
Void (2018, Ger Duffy) 5/10 / 11 minutes / 1 check
Juanes & Sebastián Yatra: Bonita (2019, Fernando Lugo) 5/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check
Leslie Shaw Feat. Thalía & Farina: Estoy Soltera (2020, Kath D.) 5/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check
Juanes Feat. Fuego: Mía Mía (2020, Oscar Vasquez) 8/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check
Pabllo Vittar & Thalia: Tímida (2020, Gus) 5/10 / 3 minutes / 1 check

(215 minutes in total)

Thanks for hosting, Melvelet! I enjoyed the challenge.

:cheers:
That's all, folks!

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 2nd, 2020, 8:30 am

I just noticed that I appear twice (18 and 37) in the placings in the OP. Perhaps those two should be merged... I can confirm that there is only one of me, heehee.
That's all, folks!

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » September 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 8:30 am
I just noticed that I appear twice (18 and 37) in the placings in the OP. Perhaps those two should be merged... I can confirm that there is only one of me, heehee.
Fixed. I need to make the tool case-insensitive. I also updated the leaderboard. I confirmed most of the counts yesterday morning, there's been a few posts since then so I will confirm the final results again (I got a bad internet connection atm though). I advise people to verify that the OP shows their correct final count.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 2nd, 2020, 10:12 am

Melvelet wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 8:30 am
Fixed. I need to make the tool case-insensitive. I also updated the leaderboard. I confirmed most of the counts yesterday morning, there's been a few posts since then so I will confirm the final results again (I got a bad internet connection atm though). I advise people to verify that the OP shows their correct final count.
Thanks so much. And thanks once again for hosting!
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 4th, 2020, 11:28 am

Melvelet wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am
I confirmed most of the counts yesterday morning, there's been a few posts since then so I will confirm the final results again (I got a bad internet connection atm though). I advise people to verify that the OP shows their correct final count.
Hi, Melv - can you please confirm whether the OP results are correct/up-to-date. I'll add them to the spreadsheet once I get your confirmation. :thumbsup:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 5th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Melvelet wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 9:45 pm
Please post your final entries if you haven't already. I hope you all had a fun challenge :)
I really want to get everything finalised by the end of the weekend, so if you don't let me know otherwise, I'll take the OP as complete and up-to-date and will update the leaderboard for the end of August some time in the next 20 to 26 hours. Hope that's okay!
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » September 7th, 2020, 8:46 am

Oh sorry, didn't have a good internet connection last week and was busy in the weekend. Anyway, I had already double checked almost all users. The only ones I didn't double check are the ones towards the bottom of the list that didn't post in the last couple of pages
Current recommendation: Angela (1995)

ImageImage

Current focus: Russia & USSR, 1000<400