Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

China, Hong Kong & Taiwan Challenge (Official, June 2020)

Mario Gaborović

Re: China, Hong Kong & Taiwan Challenge (Official, June 2020)

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 10th, 2020, 3:50 pm

06. Huo zhe (1994) - China
07. Hong gao liang (1988) - China

SpoilerShow
01. Shen wei san meng long (1980) - Hong Kong
02. Proposition (2012) + Tricycle Thief (2014) + Death of a Parrot (2015) + The Identity of the Portuguese Egg Tart (2015) + The Great Debt (2016) + CaCa: I Want Cat to Say Yes (2017) + O Cravo (2017) + Desireland, Multiverse (2020) - Macao
03. Ying hung boon sik (1986) - Hong Kong
04. Guizi lai le (2000) - China
05. Ba wang bie ji (1993) - China

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 10th, 2020, 6:32 pm

11. The Eagle Shooting Heroes / Se diu ying hung: Dung sing sai jau (Jeffrey Lau, 1993) [HK] 5
Frantic comedy and action got me tired after twenty minutes, multiple characters and convoluted plot did not help to restore attention
12. Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land / An lian tao hua yuan (Stan Lai, 1993) [Taiwan] 8
Two stage companies rent mistakenly the same theater for their final rehearsal night: this is an exciting concept as we got to see the two plays and the backstage discussions where characters and stories eventually blend. There is wit in the dialogues, subtle intertwined drama, Rivette and Allen came to mind. Great direction and photography as well, lot of care with framing/composing, a new favourite !
My women in action #4

13. Nezha Conquers the Dragon King / Nezha nao hai (Shuchen Wang, Jingda Xu, Ding Xian Yan, 1979) [China] 7
Chinese anime based on a traditional tale: the story line involving a fight between various devils and an innoncent hero is nothing surprising but it served well by the colorization work and the soundtrack.
14. An Autumn's Tale / Chou tin dik tong wah (Mabel Cheung, 1987) [HK] 7+
It has all the predictability of a HK romance of course but there is the charm of Chow Yun-Fat/Cherie Chung and a wonderful effort in make everything believable in New York 80s, emphasizing the cultural clash and distance which all in all makes it a very enjoyable experience.
My women in action #5

the time to watch and the time to watch againShow
1. Tears of the Yang-Tse / Yi jiang chun shui xiang dong liu [China] 6-
The historical context and moral dilemma were promising but dramatization is really over the top, and tiring at +180mins.
2. Running Out of Time / Am zin (Johnnie To, 1999) [HK] 7
Efficient direction for this cat-and-mouse game between a police negotiator and a singular thief. Has on top the typical, somehow formuleic, HK blend of drama, romance and comedy.
3. Cute Girl / Jiu shi liu liu de ta (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1980) [Taiwan] 7-
I will start exploring my BR boxset of HHH early films (Carlotta). Cute Girl, his first fim, has not much of the social realism and uncompromising formalism of his future works but it is quite amusing to see premices of his style including distant composition of countryside landscapes, off-camera scenes and long takes. Besides, if you can tolerate the genre, it is a nice, little rom-com.
Quality of the restaured pictures is really great so I am looking forward to the next.

My women in action #1

4. A Yangtze Landscape (Xu Xin, 2017) [China] 6
Striking B&W visuals, contemplating the flow of industrial vessels sailing from Shanghai up the river. Where this documentary doesn't fully succeed is in connecting the onshore sequences that pause on impoverished inhabitants nearby. They are clearly stuck where everything moves around them - who they are, how they landed on there and how they survive would have been worth exploring deeper.
5. Dumplings / Gau ji (Fruit Chan, 2004)[HK] 7-
Enjoyable horror drama which focuses on the social and moral horror of the protagonists rather than its fantasy. A fine performance by the two lead actresses, with a very believable appetite for youth. Plot could have been less linear and characterization deeper.

My women in action #2

6. Cities of Last Things (Wi Ding Ho, 2018) [Taiwan] 5
Messy story telling as if director wanted a Chinese Cloud Atlas and changed his mind for Rebels of the Neon God after 20 mins, without caring much for losing the viewers on the way. Saved somehow by a few decent drama segments and acting.

7. The Missing Gun / Xun qiang (Chuan Lu, 2002) [China] 7+
Fun thriller. This is the debut feature of Chuan Lu and there is a lot he wants to show as a director, sometimes abusing from camera effects and editing but overall it gives a lot of pace to the action. Wen Jiang is excellent as always; from stupidness to cold determination, he really has a broad acting range.

8. The Green, Green Grass of Home / Zai na he pan qing cao qing (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1982) [Taiwan] 6+
Continuing with HHH earlies, this one revolves around an elementary school in the countryside where a teacher from Taipei comes as a substitute and try to blend in - a connection between rural and urban that HHH will explore in many films. Whereas there are still some comedy elements you can sense HHH is now slowing down the action for more contemplative sequences and focusing on developing intertwining stories that only resolve at the end with a converging subtext. It got me only mildly engaged though.

9. Armour of God / Lung hing foo dai (Jackie Chan, 1986) [HK] 4
Boring and mediocre - Jackie Chan trying to be half-Indiana Jones half-James Bond through Europe and failing in both. I am not a huge fan of his films anyway but there was one single exciting stunt - in cars, which for a JC movie is kind of lackluster to say the least.

10. The Ditch / Jiabiangou (Bing Wang, 2010) [China] 8-
Essential companion of Dead Souls (2018), as a fiction made from the same harrowing testimonies Bing kept collecting about Rightists re-education camps under Mao's era.

My women in action #3
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 10th, 2020, 6:54 pm

wasabi wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 12:14 am
SpoilerShow
10. (rewatch)Hu Lu Xiong Di/Calabash Brothers (1986, China)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7046962/
Side Challenge 3: Find a pangolin
SpoilerShow
1. A Lingering Face/Fei Chang Xia Ri (2000) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257664/
2. 2. Xin Niang/The Bride(2009, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2137352/
3-9. The Romance of Tiger and Rose EP 1 -- EP 7 (2020, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12299432/
It is a nice, healthy pangolin: congrats wasabi !!!

ImageImageImageImage

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 10th, 2020, 7:03 pm

A couple of reminders everyone:

- for those watching TV: a total of 120 minutes of TV episodes count as one entry (no need to report but do your own math, thanks)
- please state which territory the film is from (China/HK/Taiwan)

I really like to see all the recs, ratings, reviews and interaction so far, keep the fun going !

ImageImageImageImage

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 10th, 2020, 11:09 pm

08. Qi mou miao ji: Wu fu xing (1983) - Hong Kong

SpoilerShow
01. Shen wei san meng long (1980) - Hong Kong
02. Proposition (2012) + Tricycle Thief (2014) + Death of a Parrot (2015) + The Identity of the Portuguese Egg Tart (2015) + The Great Debt (2016) + CaCa: I Want Cat to Say Yes (2017) + O Cravo (2017) + Desireland, Multiverse (2020) - Macao
03. Ying hung boon sik (1986) - Hong Kong
04. Guizi lai le (2000) - China
05. Ba wang bie ji (1993) - China
06. Huo zhe (1994) - China
07. Hong gao liang (1988) - China

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 11th, 2020, 8:18 am

@hurluberlu: added country info for all my entries, sorry I missed that!

09. 2.0* - The Secret Rivals [Nan Quan Bei Tui] by James Nam, See-Yuen Ng (1976) [Hong Kong]

A rudimentary martial arts film. The film is split into two very basic parts. On the one hand there's a plot, mostly conveyed through dry and static dialogues, on the other hand there are the martial arts scenes, which feature endless strings of kicks, jumps and punches. The film alternates between the two and that's pretty much it really.

Don't expect Shaw Bros quality, this film was made for action fans who love to watch people beat each other up. The plot is extremely poor and too much time is spent on detailing the story. Then again, you can't have people fighting for 90 minutes straight, so they had to come up with something.

The martial arts choreography isn't that great either, but picks up somewhat near the end. The camera work is disappointing (with lots of pointless, crappy zooms) and the soundtrack is as generic as can be. The film can't rely on star power either, which makes this a pretty lackluster action flick.

It's like discovering AmericaShow
01. 3.0* - Monster Hunt [Zhuo Yao Ji] by Raman Hui (2015) [China, Hong Kong]
02. 2.5* - Troublesome Night 6 [Yam Yeung Lo 6: Hung Chow Hon] by Herman Yau (1999) [Hong Kong]
03. 3.0* - Winner Takes All [Chak Wong Ji Wong] by Jing Wong (1982) [Hong Kong]
04. 3.0* - The Magnificent Trio [Bian Cheng San Xia] by Cheh Chang (1966) [Hong Kong]
05. 3.5* - Giant Fish [Da Yu] by Yue Yin (2020) [China]
06. 2.0* - The Owl Vs Bombo [Mao Tou Ying Yu Xiao Fei Xiang] by Sammo Kam-Bo Hung (1984) [Hong Kong]
07. 2.0* - Youth [Fang Hua] by Xiaogang Feng (2017) [China]
08. 3.5* - Heroes Shed No Tears [Ying Xiong Wu Lei] by Yuen Chor (1980) [Hong Kong]

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 11th, 2020, 1:41 pm

20. Liàn liàn fengchén a.k.a. Dust in the Wind (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 1986) [Taiwan]

21. Gong woo a.k.a. Triad Underworld (Ching-Po Wong, 2004) [Hong Kong]
SpoilerShow
1. Fang Shiyu yu Hong Xiguan a.k.a. Heroes Two (Cheh Chang, 1974) [Hong Kong]
2. Dung che sai duk a.k.a. Ashes of Time (Kar-Wai Wong, 1994)[Hong Hong/Taiwan]
3. Gu a.k.a. Bewitched (Chih-Hung Kuei, 1981) [Hong Kong]
4. Lung men bei chi a.k.a. Bruce's Deadly Fingers (Joseph Kong, 1976) [Hong Kong]
5. Geung si a.k.a. Rigor Mortis (Juno Mak, 2013) [Hong Kong]
6. Sai yau gei: Yut gwong bou haap a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey Part One: Pandora's Box (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong/China]
7. Sai yau gei: Sin leui kei yun a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey: Part Two - Cinderella (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
8. Wong Fei Hung III: Si wong jaang ba a.k.a. Once Upon A Time In China III (Hark Tsui, 1992) [Hong Kong]
9. Dong fu ren a.k.a. The Arch (Shu Shuen Tong, 1968) [Hong Kong]
10. Miao jie gu shi a.k.a. Mean Street Story (Andrew Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
11. Flight of the Red Balloon (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 2007) [Taiwan]
12. Shan zhong zhuan qi a.k.a. Legend of the Mountain (King Hu, 1979) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
13. Zhan lang a.k.a. Wolf Warrior (Jing Wu, 2015) [China]
14a. Chunyi: Legend of Kung Fu (Su Shijin, 2006) [China]
14b. Big Fish & Chinese Flowering Crabapple (Liang Xuan and Zhang Chun, 2004) [China]
14c. Ouran a.k.a. Accidentally (John Woo, 1968) [Hong Kong]
14d. Hua yang de nian hua (Kar-Wai Wong, 2000) [Hong Kong/China]
15. Ne Zha zhi mo tong jiang shi a.k.a. Ne Zha (Yu Yang, 2019) [China]
16. Gwai wik a.k.a. Re-Cycle (Pang Brothers, 2006) [Hong Kong]
17. Tai gik Cheung Sam Fung a.k.a. Tai Chi Master (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1993) [Hong Kong]
18. Hak se wui a.k.a. Election (Johnnie To, 2005) [Hong Kong]
19. Zhong hua zhang fu a.k.a. Heroes of the East (Chia-Liang Liu, 1978) [Hong Kong]
20. Liàn liàn fengchén a.k.a. Dust in the Wind (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 1986) [Taiwan]
21. Gong woo a.k.a. Triad Underworld (Ching-Po Wong, 2004) [Hong Kong]

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 11th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Fulltime ChallengeShow
1. The One-Armed Swordsman (1967) Hong Kong
2. God of Gamblers (1989) Hong Kong
3. All for the Winner (1990) Hong Kong
4. Magnificent Butcher (1979) Hong Kong
5. Five Fingers of Death (1972) Hong Kong
6. The Super Infra-man (1975) Hong Kong
7. Fight Back to School (1991) Hong Kong
8. Forbidden City Cop (1996) Hong Kong

9. Fulltime Killer (2001) Hong Kong

While the semblance of a plot can be made out with a love triangle and a dedicated cop, this mostly plays out as a series of deliciously over-the-top action sequences modeled on the action films of yesteryear; there is a particularly hilarious stretch in which Andy Lau keeps romancing his love interest while hiding under president masks in tribute to Point Break. Lau's maniacal smiles and entire showmanship approach to killing is refreshingly zany too.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 11th, 2020, 2:43 pm

sol wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:11 pm
While the semblance of a plot can be made out with a love triangle and a dedicated cop, this mostly plays out as a series of deliciously over-the-top action sequences modeled on the action films of yesteryear; there is a particularly hilarious stretch in which Andy Lau keeps romancing his love interest while hiding under president masks in tribute to Point Break. Lau's maniacal smiles and entire showmanship approach to killing is refreshingly zany too.
Saw this again earlier this year (March I think) and fully agree with you. Lau's performance is great, liked the references to other films (Léon & Desperado among other) and the film probably looks pretty good too, if there had been a decent release/remaster. For me this is the start of To's highlights, though I know most people put that a few years earlier (The Mission).

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:43 pm
sol wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:11 pm
Saw this again earlier this year (March I think) and fully agree with you. Lau's performance is great, liked the references to other films (Léon & Desperado among other) and the film probably looks pretty good too, if there had been a decent release/remaster. For me this is the start of To's highlights, though I know most people put that a few years earlier (The Mission).
Heh, I haven't seen Desperado, so didn't pick up on that reference, but I loved the movie's embracing of film influences in general. Definitely one of the best HK films that I have seen so far this month.

Oh, and I totally forgot that I could claim a SIDE CHALLENGE #2 for this film, so here is a screenshot... unless it is too late.

Or unless I don't understand how the second challenge works. I assume we are able to enter it more than once, hurlu? :shrug: If not, ignore this image because I much prefer the gif that I managed to source for Infra-Man. :D

ABOVE: Fulltime Killer (2001, Johnnie To & Ka-Fai Wa) - recommended
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Full ChallengeShow

10. Full Contact (1992) Hong Kong

And that's another SIDE CHALLENGE #2 unless I'm claiming this way too many times. :blink:

While there are several great action set pieces here, none are as striking as the first here, and as the film plods along, I found it increasingly hard to make heads or tails or what was going on. While there are some characters whose unreliability and ever-changing loyalties are deliberate, I couldn't keep up. Too many poorly developed characters I cared nothing about. A shame because there are great images and parts with replacement fingers.
Image Image Image

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » June 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm

1. Ging chaat goo si [Police Story] (Jackie Chan, Chi-Hwa Chen, 1985) - 7/10 HONG KONG
2. Ging chaat goo si juk jaap [Police Story 2] (Jackie Chan, 1988) - 6/10 HONG KONG
3. Ging chaat goo si III: Chiu kup ging chaat [Police Story 3: Super Cop] (Stanley Tong, 1992) - 7/10 HONG KONG
4. Chiu kup gai wak [Supercop 2] (Stanley Tong, 1993) - 6/10 HONG KONG
5. Ging chaat goo si 4: Gaan dan yam mo [Police Story 4: First Strike] (Stanley Tong, 1996) - 4/10 HONG KONG
6. San ging chaat goo si [New Police Story] (Benny Chan, 2004) - 6/10 HONG KONG
7. Jing cha gu shi 2013 [Police Story 2013] (Sheng Ding, 2013) - 3/10 HONG KONG

I'd recommend the first 3 movies in the series (and maybe the Supercop spin-off). New Police Story had the most engaging visuals and good action scenes, but the characters and story were bad anime level annoying. Police Story 2013 was hot garbage.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 11th, 2020, 6:02 pm

22. [Hong Kong] Fung wan: Hung ba tin ha (1998)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 11th, 2020, 6:47 pm

sol wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Oh, and I totally forgot that I could claim a SIDE CHALLENGE #2 for this film, so here is a screenshot... unless it is too late.

Or unless I don't understand how the second challenge works. I assume we are able to enter it more than once, hurlu? :shrug: If not, ignore this image because I much prefer the gif that I managed to source for Infra-Man. :D
The challenge is basically about posting stills from the films you watched with women in "action": I leave to your interpretation what "in action" can be but my idea was women are too often shown in a traditional manner or underrepresented in asian cinema so this is an opportunity to take a different look at them.
You can post as many stills as you want, just put the stills in spoiler IF you post more than one still by film (so it doesnt overflow the thread with pictures). You can edit and post pictures on previous posts if you want.
At the end of the month, I will organize a vote to elect the poster with the best stills.
Anyone who posts a still with a woman on is deemed participating.

ImageImageImageImage

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 11th, 2020, 7:14 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:47 pm
but my idea was women are too often shown in a traditional manner or underrepresented
Hmm, really?

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 11th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:14 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:47 pm
but my idea was women are too often shown in a traditional manner or underrepresented
Hmm, really?
Show us ! ;)

ImageImageImageImage

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 11th, 2020, 7:59 pm

I'll keep my eyes open! Not really used to these challenges yet, I'm also not really "playing", just participating for the extra discussion and feedback.

But at least in my mind Asian cinema has always had strong leading women, even in the action films. The work of Hiroki, Hou's fascination with Qi, Maggie Cheung in just about everything. Michelle Yeoh. Pei Pei Cheng.

Maybe not so much in typical crime cinema though, that's pretty male-dominated.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » June 11th, 2020, 8:40 pm

I just saw Ang Lee's first two films for the first time this week: Pushing Hands and The Wedding Banquet.

I was just stunned to see that both films were set in the US and at least 50% in English.

How is he so consistently considered part of the Second Taiwanese Wave? (Is it because they deal with generation issues, and feature Taiwanese characters and as such focus on Taiwanese culture/identity?). Apparently Eat Drink Man Woman is his only film set in Taiwan ...

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 11th, 2020, 11:07 pm

23. [China] Ren zai jiong tu: Tai jiong (2012)
24. [China] Xin hua lu fang (2014)
25. [China] Jian bing xia (2015)
26. [China] Mei Gong he xing dong (2016)
27. [Hong Kong] Bak fat moh lui zyun (1993)
28. [Hong Kong] Bai ga jai (1981)
Last edited by blueboybob on June 12th, 2020, 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 11th, 2020, 11:50 pm

SpoilerShow
1. Burning Ice (2017, China) episode 2
2. Burning Ice (2017, China) episode 3
3. Burning Ice (2017, China) episode 4
4. Burning Ice (2017, China) episode 5
5. Paths of the Soul (2015, China)
6. Burning Ice (2017, China) episode 6

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » June 12th, 2020, 4:49 am

FTV:7:The Underground Banker (1994) .Hong Kong.5.

Laying out the terms and conditions of the underworld loan in zany criss-crossing drawings spread across the screen,director Bosco Lam & cinematographer Kin-Fai Mau pull the gritty Horror of CAT III to the final, in exchange for a rubbery Comedy atmosphere of darting camera moves running to keep up with the family rushing to overturn the loan. Tugging the "zany" Comedy to breaking point, Lam attempts a last minute push into Melodrama, which thanks to utterly rubbish practical effects looks like a unplanned spoof of the genre, that is awkwardly slotted in with welcomed sleazy shots on the banker's arm candy.

Initially offering the enticing set-up of a family trapped in a underworld financial scheme,whilst also bringing in the killer from DR. Lamb (1992-also reviewed) into the mix (!),the screenplay by Jobic Tsui and Bing Cheuk waste so many chances, by quickly taking the fangs of Dr. Lamb being a threat out, and also keep the zany comedy antics of the family dampening the flickers of CAT III sleaze. Merrily spoofing his Dr. Lamb role in calling himself "Bunman" during the final, Anthony Wong is the highlight of the film Tong Chi-Ming,whose mad-cap family time is mashed by Wong with a nervousness over learning about changes to the terms and conditions from the underground banker.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 12th, 2020, 1:06 pm

9. Long de xin [Heart of a Dragon/First Mission] (1985, Sammo Kam-Bo Hung & Fruit Chan) Hong Kong: 6.2 - Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan go for a serious drama in this movie about Jackie as a cop, who has to give up on his dream to take care of his mentally retarded brother. Because of this approach and the little amount of action in it, this has always been a divisive movie among the fans. My problems isn't so much with the idea behind it, but in the execution of it. It's clear that the movie has its heart in the right place, but frankly the portrayal by Hung of a person who’s mentally challenged is extremely poor and skims very close to offensive parody. The crude way even his friends and brother unintentionally treat him is hard to watch, I guess everybody in 80s Hong Kong was completely ignorant about how to treat the mentally handicapped. Meanwhile the movie does sentimentally plays on the viewers sympathy. But still I'm willing to forgive these major demerits cause the action when it finally comes is greatly shot. The finale is surprisingly violent, which does fit the more serious tone and repressed anger of Chan's character.

10. The Protector (1985, James Glickenhaus) Hong Kong: 6.2 - Jackie Chan's second try to breakthrough in the American market. James Glickenhaus went for a grittier, tougher action movie, Jackie even swears!, than the usual lighthearted action Jackie was famous for. Because of this Jackie and James clashed during the movie making and after the release. Glickenhaus doesn't know how to pace his movie, establishing shots taking the rhythm out of the movie and even some of the chases moving too slow to be truly exciting. f.e. the big boat chase. The absolute biggest issue is Danny Aiello, who sticks out like a sore thumb. There is absolutely no chemistry with Jackie which prevents this from being an entertaining cop-buddies movie and in the action sequences he’s completely useless.

11. Fei lung maang jeung [Dragons Forever] (1988, Sammo Kam-Bo Hung & Corey Yuen) Hong Kong: 6.8 - Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao are reunited again! With Jackie wanting a change (again) they switch it up by portraying different type of characters than usual; Jackie plays a cocky skirt-chasing lawyer, Hung a deceptive crook and Yuen Biao a deranged thief. This could have been interesting if the movie really delved into its moral ambiguous characters. Unfortunately it doesn’t, in the tedious second act instead of fleshing out the plot and characters it waste all of its time on two idiotic romance plots. On top of that Jackie just can’t pull it off to play against type, his character still basically acts like his usual likable joker. But while failing in trying something different, the movie luckily excels in the familiar; the action is top notch. We’re treated to plenty of amazing fights between the three leads, which are reminiscent of 1930s slapstick fights, and a brutal finale cumulating in to another great final fight between Jackie and Benny "The Jet" Urquidez.

12. Kei zik [Miracles: The Canton Godfather/Mr. Canton and Lady Rose/Black Dragon] (1989, Jackie Chan) Hong Kong: 6.8 - Jackie as an accidental 1930s gangster boss. Based on Capra's A Pocketful of Miracles, this mostly is a farce about deception and mistaken identity. These misunderstandings were pretty amusing, but I feel some jokes were lost in translation cause they seem to be about the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese. Of course there are also some stunts thrown in cause this is after all a Jackie Chan movie, the best is an amazing sequence in a rope factory.

SpoilerShow
1. Liu lang di qiu [The Wandering Earth] (2019, Frant Gwo) China: 4.5
2. Zhong guo chao ren [Super Inframan] (1975, Shan Hua) Hong Kong: 7.8
3. Shen da [Spiritual Boxer] (1975, Chia-Liang Liu) Hong Kong: 7.8
4. Fei long zhan [The Dragon Missile] (1976, Meng Hua Ho) Hong Kong: 6.5
5. Jian hua yan yu Jiang Nan [To Kill with Intrigue] (1977, Wei Lo) Hong Kong : 4.8
6. She hao ba bu [Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin] (1978, Chi-Hwa Chen) Hong Kong/Taiwan: 7.0
7. Long quan [Dragon Fist] (1979,Wei Lo) Hong Kong/Taiwan: 6.8
8. Kwai tsan tseh [Wheels on Meals] (1984, Sammo Kam-Bo Hung) Hong Kong: 7.8

wasabi

Post by wasabi » June 12th, 2020, 2:28 pm

11. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 1
12. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 2
13. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 3
14. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 4
15. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 5
16. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 6

The raping scene in EP2 didn't really make sense. The winter night in the background city is about -30 °C/-22 °F, I really doubt if anyone has the mood of raping a girl outside. :think: Besides of this, it's good so far. The personality of leading character is a bit similar with Kosuke Kindaichi.
SpoilerShow
1. A Lingering Face/Fei Chang Xia Ri (2000) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257664/
2. 2. Xin Niang/The Bride(2009, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2137352/
3-9. The Romance of Tiger and Rose EP 1 -- EP 7 (2020, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12299432/
10. (rewatch)Hu Lu Xiong Di/Calabash Brothers (1986, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7046962/

wasabi

Post by wasabi » June 12th, 2020, 2:39 pm

mjf314 wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:50 pm
SpoilerShow
Did you like Paths of the Soul? I think it's a good topic, it did touch the behavior of kowtow and the religion. I would like it more if have more discussion of their real life and the religion, instead of just showing a story which is clearly being designed which faked to be real.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » June 12th, 2020, 2:41 pm

blueboybob wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:07 pm
Did you like Ren zai jiong tu? I saw it about 4 times, couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. It's the best in the JIONG 囧 series.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 12th, 2020, 3:03 pm

wasabi wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 2:39 pm
mjf314 wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:50 pm
SpoilerShow
Did you like Paths of the Soul? I think it's a good topic, it did touch the behavior of kowtow and the religion. I would like it more if have more discussion of their real life and the religion, instead of just showing a story which is clearly being designed which faked to be real.
I thought it was ok.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm

wasabi wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 2:41 pm
blueboybob wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:07 pm
Did you like Ren zai jiong tu? I saw it about 4 times, couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. It's the best in the JIONG 囧 series.
OK maybe I didnt get the humor then. Or maybe since I havent seen any others in the series. But I didnt like it.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 12th, 2020, 5:22 pm

29. [Hong Kong] Chik geuk siu ji (1993)
30. [Tawain] Yang ya ren jia (1965)

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » June 12th, 2020, 7:34 pm

9. Yu mei ren (The Mermaid, Kao Li, 1965) 8/10 (Hong Kong)
10. Po xiao shi fen (At Dawn, Li Han Hsiang & Sung Tsun-Shou, 1968) 9/10 (Taiwan)

From 'Yu mei ren', Side Challenge 2: "A woman or women in action" - image #3

SpoilerShow
1. Wutai jiemei (Two Stage Sisters, Xie Jin, 1964) 8.5/10 (China)
2. Tian xia di yi jian (The Fastest Sword, Pan Lei, 1968) 8/10 (Taiwan/Hong Kong)
3. Yi dai jian wang (The Swordsman of All Swordsmen, Joseph Kuo, 1968) 7.5/10 (Taiwan)
4. Du zhan (Drug War, Johnnie To, 2012) 8/10 (Hong Kong/China)
5. Yu tang chun (The Story of Sue San, King Hu, 1964) 8/10 (Hong Kong)
6. Bian cheng san xia (The Magnificent Trio, Chang Cheh, 1966) 7.5/10 (Hong Kong) (Side Challenge 1: The pick master - ororama)
7. Long men jin jian (The Golden Sword, Lo Wei, 1969) 7.5/10 (Hong Kong)
8. Ni na bian ji dian (What Time Is It There?, Tsai Ming-liang, 2001) 9/10 (Taiwan) (RV)
Last edited by jdidaco on June 12th, 2020, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 12th, 2020, 7:55 pm

A Region Escaping the NewsShow
1. Come Drink with Me (1966, HK)
2. Operation Red Sea (2018, China)
3. The Assassin (2015, Taiwan)
4. Five Elements Ninjas (1982, HK)
This seemed to embody every cliche of kung fu movies I remember growing up. Loved the fight choreography and sound effects, though the "plot" wasn't much to speak about. Still kinda fun.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 12th, 2020, 8:29 pm

My 100th Jing Wong film!

10. 2.5* - Treasure Hunt [Mou Ga Ji Bo] by Jing Wong (2011) [Hong Kong]

A pretty inconsequential Jing Wong production. Treasure Hunt is a rather run-of-the-mill mix of comedy and action, executed in true Jing Wong fashion. That means it makes for an amusing, but rather hollow and forgettable experience, though in all fairness the film doesn't look like it aspires to be anything beyond that.

The plot, about a commercial director being sent to an uninhabited island to shoot an ad with a big-wig actor, only to end up in some far-fetched treasure hunting scenario, is pointless. It's merely an excuse for some comedy antics and a few action scenes. The lack of A-listers mean that neither are truly noteworthy.

But Jing Wong's silliness also keeps thing light and the frantic pacing makes sure that the film never gets boring. It's not bad filler as such, but hard to recommend when there are so many films that do a better job at it. Treasure Hunt is for the true Jing Wong collector, he who has seen at least 75 of his other films and still has the energy to persist.

It's like discovering AmericaShow
01. 3.0* - Monster Hunt [Zhuo Yao Ji] by Raman Hui (2015) [China, Hong Kong]
02. 2.5* - Troublesome Night 6 [Yam Yeung Lo 6: Hung Chow Hon] by Herman Yau (1999) [Hong Kong]
03. 3.0* - Winner Takes All [Chak Wong Ji Wong] by Jing Wong (1982) [Hong Kong]
04. 3.0* - The Magnificent Trio [Bian Cheng San Xia] by Cheh Chang (1966) [Hong Kong]
05. 3.5* - Giant Fish [Da Yu] by Yue Yin (2020) [China]
06. 2.0* - The Owl Vs Bombo [Mao Tou Ying Yu Xiao Fei Xiang] by Sammo Kam-Bo Hung (1984) [Hong Kong]
07. 2.0* - Youth [Fang Hua] by Xiaogang Feng (2017) [China]
08. 3.5* - Heroes Shed No Tears [Ying Xiong Wu Lei] by Yuen Chor (1980) [Hong Kong]
09. 2.0* - The Secret Rivals [Nan Quan Bei Tui] by James Nam, See-Yuen Ng (1976) [Hong Kong]

Oh, and for challenge #2

That's Cecelia Cheung. Hardworking woman, had to stay late to finish a job, rushed home to her son's birthday, got stuck in traffic, left her car and put on some roller skates, took a ramp and jumped a street, crashed into some water bottles, almost fell ... but was saved by a slick martial arts grandma. Because that's how Hong Kong women roll.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 12th, 2020, 11:56 pm

31. [Hong Kong] Yat do king sing (1993)
32. [Hong Kong] Dang kou tan (1972)

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 13th, 2020, 2:26 am

SpoilerShow
1. Us & Them [aka Hou lai de wo men] (2018, China) 6/10 Reminded me a lot of La La Land storywise. The end credits were pretty cute until the last card that left us on a sorrowful note.
2. Dear Ex (2018, Taiwan) 6/10 NETFLIX
3. Petition (2009, China) 6/10

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 13th, 2020, 2:36 am

Onderhond wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 8:29 pm
My 100th Jing Wong film!
You know, I can safely say there is no single director that I have seen 100 movies by (although there are a few I have aspirations to like Takashi Miike, Jess Franco and a certain director I plan to post about soon :D ).

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » June 13th, 2020, 3:57 am

FTV:8: Calamity of Snakes (1982.) Hong Kong. 8.

Killing mountains of snakes within the first 10 minutes, co-writer/(with Kang-Nien Li and Kuo Jung Tsai) director Chi Chang & cinematographer Yung Hu unleash a scuzz CAT III Grindhouse atmosphere covering the screen in every type of snake they can get their hands on, throwing them over the brave cast,who play dead as real huge snakes crawl over them.

Backed by Sherman Chow’s spacey electronic score,Chang builds the revenge attacks of the snakes on the rich in a new apartment building to a fantastic,off the wall level of weirdness, kicking into slow-mo on Snake-Fu being performed against burning kitsch colours, and rapid-fire zoom-ins treading on a emergency group in hazmat suits finding that their flame-throwers can’t stop the calamity of snakes.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 13th, 2020, 5:06 am

Challenge on FireShow

11. City on Fire (1987) Hong Kong

This tends to lost in its various subplots - in particular, the protagonist's girlfriend who keeps threatening to leave him if he does not propose. There are some very memorable bits though when the film focuses on the double-crossing, betrayal and working of both sides; Chow Yun-Fat hung up by his wrists makes for a very grisly scene, while a cemetery meeting takes a real ghoulish turn as the grave plots get damaged when tensions flare up (see above).
Image Image Image

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 13th, 2020, 6:32 am

flavo5000 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:36 am
You know, I can safely say there is no single director that I have seen 100 movies by (although there are a few I have aspirations to like Takashi Miike, Jess Franco and a certain director I plan to post about soon :D ).
Availability is the biggest problem for me. I've been trying with Miike but I'm stuck in the 80s right now. Yuen Chor and Wakamatsu are also possible 100s, but I haven't been tracking Chor for a very long time and a large part of Wakamatsu is very hard to come by (subtitled at least).

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 13th, 2020, 9:49 am

15. All the Youthful Days aka The Boys from Fengkuei / Feng gui lai de ren (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1983) [Taiwan] 8-
HHH is getting to more personal work, recalling his teenagehood. What could have been just another film about idle, young thugs in a suburban city is magnified by the careful selection of scenes, alternating youthful energy and contemplative drama, and above all amazing camera work. His way to take distance from his protagonists to frame them in their environment is truly amazing.
16. The Swordsman in Double Flag Town / Shuang-Qi-Zhen daoke (Ping He, 1991) [China] 7-
I am probably a little generous with this rating. The Swordsman... is an odd mix of genres between wuxia and western with some drops of ethnic drama. It has some magic though thanks to Gobi's desert setting and keeping the art of his young protagonist mysterious.
17. Fist of Fury / Jing wu men (Wei Lo, 1972) [HK] 5+
It is decent action, the faces and screams of Bruce Lee are just too annoying.

My women in action #6

the time to watch and the time to watch againShow
1. Tears of the Yang-Tse / Yi jiang chun shui xiang dong liu [China] 6-
The historical context and moral dilemma were promising but dramatization is really over the top, and tiring at +180mins.
2. Running Out of Time / Am zin (Johnnie To, 1999) [HK] 7
Efficient direction for this cat-and-mouse game between a police negotiator and a singular thief. Has on top the typical, somehow formuleic, HK blend of drama, romance and comedy.
3. Cute Girl / Jiu shi liu liu de ta (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1980) [Taiwan] 7-
I will start exploring my BR boxset of HHH early films (Carlotta). Cute Girl, his first fim, has not much of the social realism and uncompromising formalism of his future works but it is quite amusing to see premices of his style including distant composition of countryside landscapes, off-camera scenes and long takes. Besides, if you can tolerate the genre, it is a nice, little rom-com.
Quality of the restaured pictures is really great so I am looking forward to the next.

My women in action #1

4. A Yangtze Landscape (Xu Xin, 2017) [China] 6
Striking B&W visuals, contemplating the flow of industrial vessels sailing from Shanghai up the river. Where this documentary doesn't fully succeed is in connecting the onshore sequences that pause on impoverished inhabitants nearby. They are clearly stuck where everything moves around them - who they are, how they landed on there and how they survive would have been worth exploring deeper.
5. Dumplings / Gau ji (Fruit Chan, 2004)[HK] 7-
Enjoyable horror drama which focuses on the social and moral horror of the protagonists rather than its fantasy. A fine performance by the two lead actresses, with a very believable appetite for youth. Plot could have been less linear and characterization deeper.

My women in action #2

6. Cities of Last Things (Wi Ding Ho, 2018) [Taiwan] 5
Messy story telling as if director wanted a Chinese Cloud Atlas and changed his mind for Rebels of the Neon God after 20 mins, without caring much for losing the viewers on the way. Saved somehow by a few decent drama segments and acting.

7. The Missing Gun / Xun qiang (Chuan Lu, 2002) [China] 7+
Fun thriller. This is the debut feature of Chuan Lu and there is a lot he wants to show as a director, sometimes abusing from camera effects and editing but overall it gives a lot of pace to the action. Wen Jiang is excellent as always; from stupidness to cold determination, he really has a broad acting range.

8. The Green, Green Grass of Home / Zai na he pan qing cao qing (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1982) [Taiwan] 6+
Continuing with HHH earlies, this one revolves around an elementary school in the countryside where a teacher from Taipei comes as a substitute and try to blend in - a connection between rural and urban that HHH will explore in many films. Whereas there are still some comedy elements you can sense HHH is now slowing down the action for more contemplative sequences and focusing on developing intertwining stories that only resolve at the end with a converging subtext. It got me only mildly engaged though.

9. Armour of God / Lung hing foo dai (Jackie Chan, 1986) [HK] 4
Boring and mediocre - Jackie Chan trying to be half-Indiana Jones half-James Bond through Europe and failing in both. I am not a huge fan of his films anyway but there was one single exciting stunt - in cars, which for a JC movie is kind of lackluster to say the least.

10. The Ditch / Jiabiangou (Bing Wang, 2010) [China] 8-
Essential companion of Dead Souls (2018), as a fiction made from the same harrowing testimonies Bing kept collecting about Rightists re-education camps under Mao's era.

My women in action #3

11. The Eagle Shooting Heroes / Se diu ying hung: Dung sing sai jau (Jeffrey Lau, 1993) [HK] 5
Frantic comedy and action got me tired after twenty minutes, multiple characters and convoluted plot did not help to restore attention
12. Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land / An lian tao hua yuan (Stan Lai, 1993) [Taiwan] 8
Two stage companies rent mistakenly the same theater for their final rehearsal night: this is an exciting concept as we got to see the two plays and the backstage discussions where characters and stories eventually blend. There is wit in the dialogues, subtle intertwined drama, Rivette and Allen came to mind. Great direction and photography as well, lot of care with framing/composing, a new favourite !
My women in action #4

13. Nezha Conquers the Dragon King / Nezha nao hai (Shuchen Wang, Jingda Xu, Ding Xian Yan, 1979) [China] 7
Chinese anime based on a traditional tale: the story line involving a fight between various devils and an innoncent hero is nothing surprising but it served well by the colorization work and the soundtrack.
14. An Autumn's Tale / Chou tin dik tong wah (Mabel Cheung, 1987) [HK] 7+
It has all the predictability of a HK romance of course but there is the charm of Chow Yun-Fat/Cherie Chung and a wonderful effort in make everything believable in New York 80s, emphasizing the cultural clash and distance which all in all makes it a very enjoyable experience.
My women in action #5

ImageImageImageImage

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 13th, 2020, 10:51 am

Challenge on FireShow
11. City on Fire (1987) Hong Kong

12. Curse of Evil (1982) Hong Kong

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 :woot: - This was previously watched by peeptoad. Another great peeps horror recommendation. :thumbsup:

An equally outlandish horror film from the director of The Boxer's Omen. Not everything adds up and there is ten minutes of longwinded verbal explanation at the end, but this is full of such imaginative imagery and juicy character dynamics that it is hard to pass up. Particularly striking are the "bloody frogs" with sharp teeth that hide everywhere and a giant tadpole-like monster, dripping in slime, which rapes his victims before killing them.
Image Image Image