Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Crime Challenge (Official, March 2020)

flavo5000

Re: Crime Challenge (Official, March 2020)

Post by flavo5000 » March 6th, 2020, 1:28 pm

4. Gangs of Wasseypur Part 1 (2012) Crime: Murder
5. Gangs of Wasseypur PArt 2 (2012) Crime: Attempted Murder
So many crimes to choose from in this incredibly brutal 5.5 hour crime epic...

6. Rock All Night (1957)
This one was fun with a young, smartass Dick Miller as a particular highlight,constantly taunting the escape convicts that have taken them hostage.

7. James Bond 777 (1971)
SpoilerShow
1. Rumble Fish (1983) Crime: Assault
2. Fakira (1976) Crime: Kidnapping
3. Malcolm (1986) Crime: Theft/Larceny/Robbery
6. Rock All Night (1957)
7. James Bond 777 (1971)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 6th, 2020, 3:45 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 1:21 pm
sol wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 3:35 pm
blocho wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Not to be confused with that other great JCVD movie, Double Team. Or the 1992 Barbarian Brothers action movie Double Trouble.
Or Maximum Risk, which my high octane action-loving friend has told me that I should have watched instead as a film with two JCVDs in it. Imagine the difficulty of trying to explain to him that I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm not going to prioritise it since it isn't on an Official List. :lol:
What about that other great JCVD movie: JCVD where JCVD plays JCVD (and yes, JCVD would also count for this challenge :D )?
Huh, right you are. :huh: I really could make this month JCVD month if I wanted to... :whistling:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 6th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Crimes and MisdemeanorsShow
1. Hustlers (2019)
2. Uncut Gems (2019)
3. Logan Lucky (2017)
4. Analyze This (1999)
5. Double Impact (1991)
6. Death Warrant (1990)
7. Terminal Island (1973)

8. The Equalizer 2 (2018)

Denzel Washington once again does well remaining calm and collected here and there are some nifty bits again in which his impeccable timing helps him to outwit his foes. The sequel is, however, weighed down by a formulaic surrogate son character and a rather ridiculous climax set during an over-the-top storm with metaphorical significance. Great reenactment of a reported murder/suicide and attack from the backseat of a moving car though.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 6th, 2020, 4:09 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 1:21 pm
sol wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 3:35 pm
blocho wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Not to be confused with that other great JCVD movie, Double Team. Or the 1992 Barbarian Brothers action movie Double Trouble.
Or Marked for Death, which my high octane action-loving friend has told me that I should have watched instead as a film with two JCVDs in it. Imagine the difficulty of trying to explain to him that I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm not going to prioritise it since it isn't on an Official List. :lol:
What about that other great JCVD movie: JCVD where JCVD plays JCVD (and yes, JCVD would also count for this challenge :D )?
I love that movie. I don't know why it didn't lead to a career revival for JCVD.

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » March 6th, 2020, 5:26 pm

01. Someone to Watch Over Me (1987)
02. You Were Never Really Here (2017)
03. Jagged Edge (1985)
04. La 4ª Compañía (2016)

albajos

Post by albajos » March 6th, 2020, 6:05 pm

01. Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) Cathy Yan USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
487 Grand Theft (the main catalysator for the plot) aka Theft/Larceny/Robbery (Others: 245 Assault with a deadly weapon, 488 Petty theft, 187 Murder)
Not in the list: 203 Mayhem, 241 Assault on peace officer, 243b Battery against a peace officer

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm

albajos wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 6:05 pm
01. Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) Cathy Yan USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
487 Grand Theft (the main catalysator for the plot) aka Theft/Larceny/Robbery (Others: 245 Assault with a deadly weapon, 488 Petty theft, 187 Murder)
Not in the list: 203 Mayhem, 241 Assault on peace officer, 243b Battery against a peace officer
Are those penal code numbers?

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 6th, 2020, 6:45 pm

SpoilerShow
1. Fallen Angel (1945) - Obstruction of Justice
2. Klute (1971) - Attempted murder
3. Multiple Maniacs (1970)
4. Hangover Square (1945)
5. Saboteur (1942)
6. Boys Don't Cry (1999)

albajos

Post by albajos » March 6th, 2020, 7:25 pm

blocho wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm
albajos wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Are those penal code numbers?
Yes, in California (but I'm guessing most of the states use he same)

I might even watch this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/reference

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 6th, 2020, 9:05 pm

1. Violence (1947) 5/10 Very dry, got a tad better toward the end.

AB537

Post by AB537 » March 6th, 2020, 10:28 pm

7. Die Hard 2 (Renny Harlin, 1990) 7/10 - Fingerprints
8. Flamingo Road (Michael Curtiz, 1949) 7/10 - Bribery
9. Legend (Brian Helgeland, 2015) 7/10 - Police Brutality
10. Die Hard with a Vengeance (John McTiernan, 1995) 6.5/10 - Theft/Larceny/Robbery
11. Johnny Eager (Mervyn LeRoy, 1941) 7/10 - Blackmail

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » March 7th, 2020, 3:56 am

3. Black Widow-1954: 7/10
SpoilerShow
1. Out for Justice-1991: 10/10
2. Avengement-2019: 8/10

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 7th, 2020, 5:17 am

7. Garde a Vue (1981) - Rape
A disappointing French police movie, with the narrative almost entirely based on a single interrogation of a suspect. I've been told by others that I had a bad translation in the subtitles and missed the nuances of the dialogue.

8a. Sherlock: A Study in Pink (2010)
8b. Sherlock: The Blind Banker (2010) - Burglary
I haven't seen many Holmes adaptation, but it's a bit of a mystery to me why he is appealing. The man is a preening narcissist, and not in a funny or charming way. I don't think I'll continue watching this series. All that being said, I was amused that a scene in the first episode was a near copy of the famous "battle of wits" scene from The Princess Bride.
Last edited by blocho on March 8th, 2020, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 7th, 2020, 6:20 am

1. Hustlers (2019)
2. Uncut Gems (2019)
3. Logan Lucky (2017)
4. Analyze This (1999)
5. Double Impact (1991)
6. Death Warrant (1990)

9. Turner & Hooch (1989)

This crime comedy has some solid moments towards the end as Hanks and the dog team up to take down the bad guys, but the entire first hour here is hit-and-miss humour with far more misses than hits. The dog predictably tearing up his entire home when he is away is especially lame and drawn out, and Hanks gradually bonding with the dog by chewing towels and dog treats with him is not half as endearing as it sounds. Lifeless romance stuff too.
Image Image Image

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » March 7th, 2020, 11:15 am

5. Los olvidados [The Young and the Damned] (Luis Buñuel, 1950) - 9/10
6. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (Mervyn LeRoy, 1932) - 8/10
7. Nema-ye Nazdik [Close-Up] (Abbas Kiarostami, 1990) - 9/10
8. Night Moves (Arthur Penn, 1975) - 6/10
SpoilerShow
1. The Brave One (Neil Jordan, 2007) - 4/10
2. American Me (Edward James Olmos, 1992) - 7/10
3. Uncut Gems (Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie, 2019) - 9/10
4. The Wrong Box (Bryan Forbes, 1966) - 8/10

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 7th, 2020, 1:08 pm

8. The Polka King (2017) Crime: Fraud
SpoilerShow
6. Rock All Night (1957)
7. James Bond 777 (1971)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm

1. Talaash (Reema Kagti, 2012)

I don't think Aamir Khan cracks a smile once in this film. He's a stern, committed, no-nonsense cop investigating the suspicious accident - or suicide - or murder of famous actor Armaan Kapoor (Vivian Bhatena) who crashed his car into the sea while driving alone late at night in an area that wasn't near his home or movie set. And he's also struggling with his own demons, particularly the drowning death of his young son and the distancing it's causing with his wife (Rani Mukerjee). But when he meets a beautiful hooker (Kareena Kapoor) who seems to have some of the keys to what happened on the night of Kapoor's death, clues start to fall into place while danger increases. This is a decent mystery-crime film with some excitement to it that isn't too derailed by inappropriate music or excessive sentiment - though they are there and do slow it down somewhat - but I'm not sure that the similarity of one major plot point to a similar element in
SpoilerShow
The Sixth Sense
really works in the end. Anyway overall enjoyable enough and I really liked Mukerjee, have to look for her in more stuff.

2. Siesta (Mary Lambert, 1987) (re-watch)

NOTE: this film isn't listed under "crime" on IMDb, though I think it used to be; there is in fact a significant crime around which the whole film's plot turns so I'm including it.

Only dim memories of this - I'm pretty sure I saw it not long after it came out on VHS, or perhaps after Sea of Love made star Ellen Barkin a household name for a little while. I remember hating it at the time and my IMDb rating of it was 2 - and being a generous guy, I don't have a lot of ratings that low. But I didn't remember much besides Barkin, naked or in a red dress. And I didn't actually remember that the director was a woman, though when I saw her name I thought for some reason of David Lynch, with whom she doesn't seem to have any association. Strange how the mind works, because the film when you watch it does seem if not Lynchian than in the same sphere of noir-surrealism-dream that he has often inhabited - and the fact that Isabella Rossellini plays a major role here, the year after Blue Velvet, also adds to the feeling. At any rate Barkin wakes up in a dirty, torn red dress at an air field in Spain - when she's supposed to be in southern California (or Nevada, Arizona - somewhere in the southwest, I don't remember and it's not important) preparing for a skydiving stunt with her husband Martin Sheen. She tries to recover her memories of the last couple of days and earlier memories flood in also as she reconstructs an affair with Gabriel Byrne (Barkin's husband) and comes to believe that she has committed a murder - there was blood all over that bright red dress. At the end we do find out that in fact she was involved in a crime but
SpoilerShow
the victim was herself, killed by Rossellini in a jealous rage, and we have been watching a ghost's memories the whole time. So this is the second film in a row I watched all-unknowing that mirrors the central plot element of The Sixth Sense. Weird huh?
This isn't deserving of that 2 rating but I understand why I felt that way - it's a mess, often verging toward narrative incoherence, and in this case - unlike in the case of Lynch or for that matter Norman Mailer with his Tough Guys Don't Dance another erotic-noir with Rossellini from the same period - it's hard to tell whether it's intended, and it doesn't add up to making the film that compelling, though it's not entirely uninteresting either and it's nicely shot and boasts a pretty interesting cast. The payoff just seems lame here, unfortunately.

3. Hero and the Terror (William Tannen, 1988)

Another masterpiece from the greatest film studio in the world

Slowly moving towards completing Chuck Norris' filmography - at least from his "peak" period, the 1970s-80s (am I really ever going to watch Top Dog or Forest Warrior? Don't answer that); I only have the Missing in Action sequels and Breaker Breaker left. Most - maybe all - Norris films fall into one of two categories: tolerable to decent films that had good scripts and competent directors, and garbage films that had neither. A corollary is that if Chuck or his brother Aaron had more obvious control over the film, the quality will certainly be less - Lone Wolf McQuade being a slight exception. This alas is in the shit category along with 80% of Chuckie's filmography, though it has a better cast than usual - Chuck's partner (he's a cop of course, the "hero") is Steve James, the bad guy ("the terror") is Jack O'Halloran of Superman fame (and not RIchard Kiel who he looks an awful lot like in some scenes) and Ron O'Neal is the mayor and Billy Drago is on hand as a rather weird psychiatrist. And it's not such a bad story as cops-n-bad-guys stories go - the terror, a nutcase who kills just for fun, has escaped prison and seeming death and is probably holed up somewhere, and our hero has to get him; the possibilities for fun within a huge old Art Deco movie theater are there, but they just aren't utilized in any interesting way and it all ends up dull and predictable without even much in the way of good fight sequences.

4. Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn (Cathy Yan, 2020) (cinema)

So this was deemed a "flop" almost instantly, having underperformed expectations - but looking on BOM I see that the $85 million production has almost hit $200 million worldwide - and I'd say this film could benefit from some of the new films being yanked for Covid-19 fears - theaters will have to keep some older releases still going. So quick are the soothsayers to scream hit or flop these days, and I certainly have to wonder if some of it is the overt feminist attitude on display throughout this film. "Hah this is failing just like Elizabeth Warren's campaign, nobody wants to see a man-hater". I just get that vibe from a lot of the discourse today.

Anyway... IMO this doesn't deserve the scorn, and it certainly doesn't deserve to flop any more than a lot of other crap out there, some of which makes billions. But it's not all that good either and unless you are charmed by the characters/actresses - Margot Robbie as the eponymous Harley, a psychiatrist-turned-wackaloon-petty-criminal, Rosie Perez (nice to see her in a major film after what seems decades) as a put-upon non-nonsense cop, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as the vengeance-fueled Huntress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as singer/martial artist Black Canary and Ella Jay Basco as the precocious kid that seems necessary to round out this group of misfits for some reason - you won't give a shit. Fortunately I was charmed to some extent - I think Smollett-Bell is the real standout here and I for one would probably see a Black Canary film - and while the Deadpool-style regular breaking of the fourth wall has gotten old (I mean I think it was old in Deadpool) and Robbie isn't as funny as Ryan Reynolds, the action is almost all pleasingly grounded in semi-reality and I guess the neon-grittiness of Gotham worked pretty well too. The plot - all these women looking separately, until they have to team up, for this big diamond that the psychopathic crime lord (Ewan McGregor having fun) also wants - is extremely disposable. The one unforgivable sin the film makes is to showcase a slowed-down-to-dirge cover of Pat Benatar's signature song "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - that's almost enough for me to deduct a ratings point right there. Anyway, overall, meh to watchable.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 7th, 2020, 3:33 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm
NOTE: this film isn't listed under "crime" on IMDb, though I think it used to be; there is in fact a significant crime around which the whole film's plot turns so I'm including it.
"should contain numerous consecutive and inter-related scenes of characters participating, aiding, abetting, and/or planning criminal behavior or experiences usually for an illicit goal. " (imdb defintion)

so the leads must actively be part of the crime. If the crime are done by antagonists we should still see them a lot in the movie.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 7th, 2020, 3:46 pm

albajos wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 3:33 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
"should contain numerous consecutive and inter-related scenes of characters participating, aiding, abetting, and/or planning criminal behavior or experiences usually for an illicit goal. " (imdb defintion)

so the leads must actively be part of the crime. If the crime are done by antagonists we should still see them a lot in the movie.
I made my argument reasonably well I think. If blocho - who is running this challenge - wants to disallow it, fine.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 7th, 2020, 4:53 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 3:46 pm
albajos wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:

I made my argument reasonably well I think. If blocho - who is running this challenge - wants to disallow it, fine.
I'm really underwhelmed by the "Crime" tagging on film sites - especially in documentaries. I just go by the themes of the film. :shrug:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 7th, 2020, 5:09 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 3:46 pm
albajos wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:

From the rules in the OP:
I leave eligibility up to the discretion of participants, but I strongly suggest you only include movies/episodes in which crime is a major theme rather than an incidental event. Here's an example: Green Book is a movie in which a few crimes occur, but crime is mostly incidental to the narrative and the movie's themes. Goodfellas is a movie in which a few crimes occur, and crime is a major theme.
It's OldAle's call. Not because I have any thoughts on Siesta (which I haven't seen), but because I try not to change rules during a challenge. And ultimately I'm not interested in having arguments over genre boundaries.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 7th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Thanks for the clarification blocho. Like maxwell says, you can't trust tagging always - particularly on IMDb: I used to keep tabs on their tagging of noir and it's been all over the map over the years. Given that anybody can potentially change any tag, it's near-useless. I probably wouldn't have watched this film at this particular time if not for the challenges - might have saved it for Noirvember - but I remembered it as a "crime" film and didn't know it wasn't tagged such until I went to IMDb to re-rate it (from 2 up to 5 - that doesn't happen often); I always remembered it as a crime-noir thing. And like I said in my comment, the central crime (and it's not the only one - there's also an attempted rape, and threats of rape and physical violence abound throughout the film) is what drives the entire plot - without a crime, there wouldn't be a story or film here at all. That's enough for me.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm

But you know the genre definition, so it's your call to see if it fits imdb's definition or not. If it don't, it's not crime, it's as simple as that

Crime is about doing crimes, not being a criminal.

I haven't seen Siesta, I think, so I just speaking generally here

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » March 7th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Thank you for hosting, blocho!

(Gif/screenshot from 'The Glass Key' '& 'Die Tote von Beverly Hills'),

1. The Glass Key (Frank Tuttle, 1935) 8/10
2. King of Alcatraz (Robert Florey, 1938) 8/10
3. Danger Signal (Robert Florey, 1945) 7.5/10
4. The Brighton Strangler (Max Nosseck, 1945) 7.5/10
5. Dillinger (Max Nosseck, 1945) 8/10
6. The Lady Confesses (Sam Newfield, 1945) 7.5/10
7. Apology for Murder (Sam Newfield, 1945) 7/10
8. Two O'Clock Courage (Anthony Mann, 1945) 7/10
9. The Great Flamarion (Anthony Mann, 1945) 7.5/10
10. The Spider (Robert D. Webb, 1945) 7/10
11. Strange Illusion (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1945) 8/10 (RV)
12. Via Mala (Josef von Báky, 1945) 7.5/10
13. Der Rest ist Schweigen (The Rest Is Silence, Helmut Käutner, 1959) 8/10
14. Die Tote von Beverly Hills (Dead Woman from Beverly Hills, Michael Pfleghar, 1964) 8.5/10
15. The Honey Pot (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1967) 8/10
16. Sleuth (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1972) 8/10 (RV)
17. The Super Cops (Gordon Parks, 1974) 8/10
18. Freebie and the Bean (Richard Rush, 1974) 8.5/10
19. Law and Disorder (Ivan Passer, 1974) 8/10
20. Silver Bears (Ivan Passer, 1977) 7.5/10

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » March 7th, 2020, 5:58 pm

05. The Night Clerk (2020)
06. Affair in Reno (1956)
07. Chaos (2001)
08. Kill or Be Killed (1950)
09. The Green Buddha (1954)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 7th, 2020, 6:55 pm

No thanks - I want to get paidShow
1. Serpico (1973) BC1 - Bribery
2. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: A Shock to the System (2020) - BC1 - Involuntary Manslaughter
3. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Evil in this Courtroom (2020) BC2: Opening Statement
4. Andhadhun (2018) BC1: Blackmail
5. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Failure at All Levels (2020) BC1: Assault
6. Lone Wolf McQuade (1983) BC1: Smuggling
7. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Death has Got Him by the Hand (2020) BC2: Trial
8. The Trials of Gabrial Fernandez: Improper Regard or Indifference (2020) BC2: Testimony
9. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Gabriel's Voice (2020) BC2: Capital Punishment
10. Pierrot le Fou (1965) BC1: Murder
I might have enjoyed this just as much on mute with no subs. Nice images on screen, but no clue what's going on. Not a Godard fan. But they killed people, so there's that.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 7th, 2020, 7:34 pm

02. Hustlers (2019) USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
Fraud, but she was jailed for Grand Larceny, but that was mild as to what they actually did which was
Not in the list: Grifting, Drugging others without their consent

Crime-aShow
01. Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
02. Hustlers (2019) USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
Fraud, but she was jailed for Grand Larceny, but that was mild as to what they actually did which was
Not in the list: Grifting, Drugging others with their consent

!seen 2
Last edited by albajos on March 8th, 2020, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mochard

Post by Mochard » March 7th, 2020, 11:13 pm

9. Le journal d'une femme de chambre (1964) - 7.5/10 - Rape

Good film. Really liked this one.

Crime PaysShow
1. Desert Fury (1947) - 6.5/10
2. Locked Up (2017) - 1.5/10
3. Animal Factory (2000) - 6.5/10
4. Radio Patrol (1932) - 6/10
5. Cry Danger (1951) - 7/10
6. Blue Ruin (2013) - 7/10
7. Outside the Law (1920) - 6.5/10
8. Smart Money (1931) - 7/10
9. Le journal d'une femme de chambre (1964) - 7.5/10
Bonus Challenge #1 - Crime Wave - 6 of 24Show
Murder - Blue Ruin (2013) - 7/10
Attempted murder
Assault (inflicting unwanted physical harm on another person) - Locked Up (2017) - 1.5/10
Involuntary manslaughter (killing another person through negligence, such as drunk driving) - Smart Money (1931) - 7/10
Burglary (Breaking into a residence or business)
Theft/Larceny/Robbery (Taking someone else's property) - Outside the Law (1920) - 6.5/10
Rape - Le journal d'une femme de chambre (1964) - 7.5/10
Kidnapping
Arson
Blackmail
Bribery - Radio Patrol (1932) - 6/10
Embezzlement
Extortion
Fraud
Computer Crimes (like hacking)
Counterfeiting (currency or consumer goods)
Drug Dealing (manufacture and/or sale)
Drug Use (illegal consumption)
Perjury
Tax Evasion
Smuggling (illegal transport of drugs, weapons, jewels, or people across borders)
Espionage
Treason
Obstruction of Justice (jury tampering, witness tampering, destruction of evidence, making false statements to police)
Bonus Challenge #2 - Law and Order - 0 of 15Show
Police Raid (an attempt by police to enter a private area/home/business by surprise)
Police Interrogation (of suspects or witnesses)
Fingerprints (dusting or analysis or identification or use in trial)
DNA (collection of evidence or analysis or use in trial)
Arrest
Police Brutality
Police Academy (including training or graduation)
Plea Bargain (a suspect agrees to plead guilty in return for a reduced charge)
Trial
Testimony (any statement by a witness during a criminal trial)
Opening Statement (by prosecutor or defense attorney)
Closing Statement (by prosecutor or defense attorney)
Conviction
Capital Punishment
Miranda Warning
Bonus Challenge #3 - Blocho's Crime Block - 3 of 6Show
2. Animal Factory (2000) - 6.5/10
3. Cry Danger (1951) - 7/10

frbrown

Post by frbrown » March 8th, 2020, 12:49 am

4a. Moonlighting: Read the Mind... See the Movie (1985)
4a. Moonlighting: The Next Murder You Hear (1985)
4a. Moonlighting: Next Stop Murder (1985)

And two solid B noirs, each under 70 minutes

5. Strange Triangle (1946) - 7.5/10 - Embezzlement
6. Violated (1953) - 7.5/10 - Arrest

SpoilerShow
1. The Dead Pool (1988) - 7/10 - Police Interrogation
2a. Moonlighting: Pilot (1985) - Theft/Larceny/Robbery
2b. Moonlighting: Gunfight at the So-So Corral (1985) - Attempted murder
3. Detective Conan 9: Strategy Above the Depths (2005) - 8.5/10 - Murder
4a. Moonlighting: Read the Mind... See the Movie (1985)
4a. Moonlighting: The Next Murder You Hear (1985)
4a. Moonlighting: Next Stop Murder (1985)
5. Strange Triangle (1946) - 7.5/10 - Embezzlement
6. Violated (1953) - 7.5/10 - Arrest

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 8th, 2020, 3:41 am

1. Hustlers (2019)
2. Uncut Gems (2019)
3. Logan Lucky (2017)
4. Analyze This (1999)
5. Double Impact (1991)
6. Death Warrant (1990)
9. Turner & Hooch (1989)

10. The Gravy Train (1974)

Also known as The Dion Brothers, this crime caper focuses on the aftermath of an armored car robbery planned by two brothers who are too trusting. The robbery is exciting and well executed and there is much tension to the brothers sneaking out of their apartment disguised as cops after they are betrayed. The duo going on the lam is far less interesting though. Margot Kidder tries to add some spunk but has a poorly developed character.
Image Image Image

AB537

Post by AB537 » March 8th, 2020, 3:43 am

12. Just Mercy (Destin Daniel Cretton, 2019) 7.5/10 - Perjury
13. The Mule (Clint Eastwood, 2018) 7/10 - Drug Dealing
14. The Old Man and the Gun (David Lowery, 2018) 7/10 - Arrest
15. Insomnia (Christopher Nolan, 2002) 6.5/10 - Police Interrogation ... the Norwegian original is better
16. The Pelican Brief (Alan J. Pakula, 1993) 6.5/10 - Obstruction of Justice
17. Night Must Fall (Richard Thorpe, 1937) 6/10
Last edited by AB537 on March 8th, 2020, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 8th, 2020, 6:14 am

AB537 wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 3:43 am
15. Insomnia (Christopher Nolan, 2002) 6.5/10 - Attempted Murder ... the Norwegian original is better
17. Night Must Fall (Richard Thorpe, 1937) 6/10 - Arrest
Hey AB -- just so you know, the bonus challenge is to get each crime/police action once. So there's no point in listing attempted murder and arrest twice. Feel free to change any above if they had a different crime/action that you haven't gotten yet.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 8th, 2020, 7:51 am

No thanks - I want to get paidShow
1. Serpico (1973) BC1 - Bribery
2. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: A Shock to the System (2020) - BC1 - Involuntary Manslaughter
3. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Evil in this Courtroom (2020) BC2: Opening Statement
4. Andhadhun (2018) BC1: Blackmail
5. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Failure at All Levels (2020) BC1: Assault
6. Lone Wolf McQuade (1983) BC1: Smuggling
7. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Death has Got Him by the Hand (2020) BC2: Trial
8. The Trials of Gabrial Fernandez: Improper Regard or Indifference (2020) BC2: Testimony
9. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez: Gabriel's Voice (2020) BC2: Capital Punishment
10. Pierrot le Fou (1965) BC1: Murder
11. Boys Don't Cry (1999) BC1: Rape
I mean, the reasons for this are obvious.

12. Busty Cops (2004) BC2: Police Interrogation
Weird night - Wife picked this (?!?) and it was about the Busty Cops division of the police assigned to go undercover at a porn shoot to solve a murder. A Jim Wynorski classic if you've ever seen one - falls on the "so bad it's good" spectrum pretty well due to the solid parody elements.

AB537

Post by AB537 » March 8th, 2020, 12:19 pm

blocho wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 6:14 am
AB537 wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 3:43 am
15. Insomnia (Christopher Nolan, 2002) 6.5/10 - Police Interrogation ... the Norwegian original is better
17. Night Must Fall (Richard Thorpe, 1937) 6/10
Hey AB -- just so you know, the bonus challenge is to get each crime/police action once. So there's no point in listing attempted murder and arrest twice. Feel free to change any above if they had a different crime/action that you haven't gotten yet.
Thanks for the reminder - guess I lost track of what I'd already put down. Changed Insomnia and removed Arrest from Night Must Fall, both in the quote and my original post.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 8th, 2020, 12:26 pm

6. Spenser Confidential (2020) 4
7. Krótki film o zabijaniu (1988) A Short Film About Killing 9
chiselers chiseledShow
*rewatch
1. Monster (2003) 7*
2. Tropa de Elite (2007) Elite Squad 8
3. Polytechnique (2009) 6
4. Vice Squad (1982) 8*
5. Kiss the Girls (1997) 7

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 8th, 2020, 12:56 pm

9. Agneepath (2012) Crime: Drug Use (and lots of other stuff)

10. Clickbait (2019) Crime: Computer Crimes
This one is tricky because it technically falls into a couple of the crime categories but not exactly as worded. There are multiple break-ins but nothing is actually stolen (because there's a creepy stalker). I went with computer crimes because the primary plot does involve hijacking someone's online account to a streaming website.

11. Baabarr (2009)
This one had lots of crime but it was generally assault and murder which I've already counted.
SpoilerShow
6. Rock All Night (1957)
7. James Bond 777 (1971)
9. Agneepath (2012) Crime: Drug Use (and lots of other stuff)
10. Clickbait (2019) Crime: Computer Crimes
11. Baabarr (2009)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 8th, 2020, 1:51 pm

1. Hustlers (2019)
2. Uncut Gems (2019)
3. Logan Lucky (2017)
4. Analyze This (1999)
5. Double Impact (1991)
6. Death Warrant (1990)
9. Turner & Hooch (1989)
10. The Gravy Train (1974)

11. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)

It is an okay idea, but it is also totally implausible that the protagonists here never suspected each other in over five years of marriage; the metaphor of a husband and wife with marital issues trying to kill each other is also hindered by neither of them experiencing the slightest moral dilemma. The film gets significantly better though as the pair change tunes and team up, mending their marriage in the process, but this doesn't occur until the final third.
Image Image Image

Mochard

Post by Mochard » March 8th, 2020, 6:55 pm

10. Mannen på taket (1976) - 7/10 - Obstruction of justice

Was going for perjury for this one but obstruction of justice fits the bill a lot more, so that's what I will go with.

Crime PaysShow
2. Locked Up (2017) - 1.5/10
3. Animal Factory (2000) - 6.5/10
4. Radio Patrol (1932) - 6/10
5. Cry Danger (1951) - 7/10
6. Blue Ruin (2013) - 7/10
7. Outside the Law (1920) - 6.5/10
8. Smart Money (1931) - 7/10
9. Le journal d'une femme de chambre (1964) - 7.5/10
10. Mannen på taket (1976) - 7/10
Bonus Challenge #1 - Crime Wave - 7 of 24Show
Murder - Blue Ruin (2013) - 7/10
Attempted murder
Assault (inflicting unwanted physical harm on another person) - Locked Up (2017) - 1.5/10
Involuntary manslaughter (killing another person through negligence, such as drunk driving) - Smart Money (1931) - 7/10
Burglary (Breaking into a residence or business)
Theft/Larceny/Robbery (Taking someone else's property) - Outside the Law (1920) - 6.5/10
Rape - Le journal d'une femme de chambre (1964) - 7.5/10
Kidnapping
Arson
Blackmail
Bribery - Radio Patrol (1932) - 6/10
Embezzlement
Extortion
Fraud
Computer Crimes (like hacking)
Counterfeiting (currency or consumer goods)
Drug Dealing (manufacture and/or sale)
Drug Use (illegal consumption)
Perjury
Tax Evasion
Smuggling (illegal transport of drugs, weapons, jewels, or people across borders)
Espionage
Treason
Obstruction of Justice - Mannen på taket (1976) - 7/10
Bonus Challenge #2 - Law and Order - 0 of 15Show
Police Raid (an attempt by police to enter a private area/home/business by surprise)
Police Interrogation (of suspects or witnesses)
Fingerprints (dusting or analysis or identification or use in trial)
DNA (collection of evidence or analysis or use in trial)
Arrest
Police Brutality
Police Academy (including training or graduation)
Plea Bargain (a suspect agrees to plead guilty in return for a reduced charge)
Trial
Testimony (any statement by a witness during a criminal trial)
Opening Statement (by prosecutor or defense attorney)
Closing Statement (by prosecutor or defense attorney)
Conviction
Capital Punishment
Miranda Warning
Bonus Challenge #3 - Blocho's Crime Block - 3 of 6Show
2. Animal Factory (2000) - 6.5/10
3. Cry Danger (1951) - 7/10

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » March 8th, 2020, 8:19 pm

4. Wind River (Taylor Sheridan, 2017) 7-
5. The Accountant (Gavin O'Connor, 2016) 7-
6. Odd Job / Un petit boulot (Pascal Chaumeil, 2016) 7-

Criminal recordShow
1. The Last Run (Richard Fleischer, John Huston) 7+
2. Paulette (Jérôme Enrico, 2012) 6-
3. 22 Bullets / L'immortel (Richard Berry, 2010) 6+
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Teproc

Post by Teproc » March 8th, 2020, 10:36 pm

4. The Transporter (Corey Yuen & Louis Leterrier, 2002) - Smuggling

SpoilerShow
1. The Invisible Man (Leigh Wannell, 2019) - Assault
2. The Lady Vanishes (Alfred Hitchcock, 1938) - Espionnage
3. La fille au bracelet (Stéphane Demoustier, 2019) - Murder
4. The Transporter (Corey Yuen & Louis Leterrier, 2002) - Smuggling