Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Films Directed by Women Challenge (Official, March 2020)

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Re: Films Directed by Women Challenge (Official, March 2020)

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » March 7th, 2020, 11:02 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm

2. Siesta (Mary Lambert, 1987) (re-watch)

Only dim memories of this - I'm pretty sure I saw it not long after it came out on VHS, or perhaps after Sea of Love made star Ellen Barkin a household name for a little while. I remember hating it at the time and my IMDb rating of it was 2 - and being a generous guy, I don't have a lot of ratings that low. But I didn't remember much besides Barkin, naked or in a red dress. And I didn't actually remember that the director was a woman, though when I saw her name I thought for some reason of David Lynch, with whom she doesn't seem to have any association. Strange how the mind works, because the film when you watch it does seem if not Lynchian than in the same sphere of noir-surrealism-dream that he has often inhabited - and the fact that Isabella Rossellini plays a major role here, the year after Blue Velvet, also adds to the feeling. At any rate Barkin wakes up in a dirty, torn red dress at an air field in Spain - when she's supposed to be in southern California (or Nevada, Arizona - somewhere in the southwest, I don't remember and it's not important) preparing for a skydiving stunt with her husband Martin Sheen. She tries to recover her memories of the last couple of days and earlier memories flood in also as she reconstructs an affair with Gabriel Byrne (Barkin's husband) and comes to believe that she has committed a murder - there was blood all over that bright red dress. At the end we do find out that in fact she was involved in a crime but
SpoilerShow
the victim was herself, killed by Rossellini in a jealous rage, and we have been watching a ghost's memories the whole time. So this is the second film in a row I watched all-unknowing that mirrors the central plot element of The Sixth Sense. Weird huh?
This isn't deserving of that 2 rating but I understand why I felt that way - it's a mess, often verging toward narrative incoherence, and in this case - unlike in the case of Lynch or for that matter Norman Mailer with his Tough Guys Don't Dance another erotic-noir with Rossellini from the same period - it's hard to tell whether it's intended, and it doesn't add up to making the film that compelling, though it's not entirely uninteresting either and it's nicely shot and boasts a pretty interesting cast. The payoff just seems lame here, unfortunately.

I saw this a couple of times at when it first came out and I remember it being a bit of a mess too - but what has always stuck with me was Miles Davis' trumpet on the soundtrack. Truly some beautiful music that made the film work better for me than it probably should have.

EDIT to add: I guess what I am saying is that the soundtrack is so much better than the movie itself.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 8th, 2020, 4:37 am

albajos wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 3:50 pm
The BBC and Indiewire list links has been updated now that they have switched officaldom.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bbcs ... +by+women/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/indi ... men/timec/

maybe you also want the imdb keywords:
directed by female: https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... ode=detail
triple f-rated: https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... emeter,asc
Thanks! I have updated it now.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 8th, 2020, 7:57 am

We need more of thisShow
1. American Factory (2019)
2. The Virgin Suicides (1999, Sofia Coppola)
3. Gilmore Girls: I Solemnly Swear (2003, Carla McClosky)
4. Kathleen Madigan: Bothering Jesus (2016, Lorene Machado/Kathleen Madigan)
5. Gilmore Girls: Lorelai Out of Water (2003, Jamie Babbit)
6. Gilmore Girls: Dear Emily and Richard (2003, Gail Mancuso)
"7. Fresh Off the Boat: The Car Wash (2018, Amy York Rubin)
Fresh Off the Boat: A Man to Share the Night With (2018, Amy York Rubin)
Fresh Off the Boat: We Need to Talk About Evan (2018, Anya Adams)"
8. Boys Don't Cry (1999, Kimberly Peirce)
I always read the IMDB trivia when I watch films, and I was interested to learn that the director tried to cast a trans person in the lead role, but had trouble finding a trans actor with the acting chops needed, so the role eventually went to Hillary Swank. Great story and I thought the sexual assault and fallout scenes were pretty deftly handled.

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » March 8th, 2020, 9:34 am

SpoilerShow
1. Will (2011, Ellen Perry) - 7/10
2. Blue My Mind (2017, Lisa Brühlmann) - 7/10

3. Song for a Raggy Boy (2003, Aisling Walsh) - 6/10

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 8th, 2020, 10:06 am

Directed by WomenShow
1. Hustlers (2019)
2. So Pretty (2019)
3. Third Star (2010)
4. Sleepwalk (1986)
5. The Bookshop (2017)
6. History Lessons (1972)
7. Terminal Island (1973)
8. Too Late to Die Young (2018)
9. Home for the Holidays (1995)
10. Honey Boy (2019)

11a. UFO's (1972) 3m

Directed by Lillian Schwartz

11b. Shulie (1997) 37m

Directed by Elisabeth Subrin

11c. Suspense (1913) 10m

Directed by Lois Weber

11d. Strings (1991) 10m

Directed by Wendy Tilby

60 minutes in total

UFO's is an amazing fusion of rapid-fire computer generated imagery and ominous music. While there is no plot as such, I found it to be enthralling and challenging in a Rorschach inkblot test sort of way.

Shulie was a bit hard to get into at first with lots of seemingly random audio spliced against 1960s street bustle archive footage. As Shulie began to be interviewed though, things became a lot more interesting.

Suspense is insanely well-crafted for a film from the 1910s. The three-way crosscut editing is magnificent and the film does indeed drum up a lot of suspense by rapidly cutting between three locations while not relying heavily on title cards, unlike most pre-20s films.

It is always pretty cool when a modern short film can tell a story without dialogue at all, but Strings didn't quite do it for me. Gorgeous blended painting animation style, but the story did zip for me.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

John Milton

Post by John Milton » March 8th, 2020, 10:48 am

12. The Tale (2018) - Directed by Jennifer Fox

Dern's character is forced to rethink what actually happened to her as a teenager, when her mother finds the essay she wrote as a mere 13 year old, about her sexual relationship with her 40 year old running coach. Based upon Fox' own life, The Tale is a harrowingly introspective examination of abuse, memory and how one might cope.

4.2*/5
I'll see you at the movies... Letterboxd - MovieMeter

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm

12. Clickbait (Sophia Cacciola + some guy, 2019)
SpoilerShow
1. Ghost Stories (Zoya Akhtar+others, 2020)
2. Beautiful Thing (Hettie MacDonald, 1996)
3. Wine Country (Amy Poehler, 2019)
4. Nude on the Moon (Doris Wishman + some dude, 1961)
5. Kissed (Lynne Stopkewich, 1996)
6. A Time for Burning (Barbara Connell + some dude, 1967)
7. Malcolm (Nadia Tass, 1986)
8. Dark Touch (Marina De Van, 2013)
9. American Playhouse: Waiting for the Moon (Jill Godmilow, 1987)
10. Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance (Alanis Obomsawin, 1993)
11. The Polka King (Maya Forbes, 2017)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 8th, 2020, 3:12 pm

5. Dogfight (Nancy Savoca, 1991) 8
Girl Power! Bam!Show
*rewatch
1. Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins, 2017) 8
2. Monster (Patty Jenkins, 2003) 7*
3. Into the Forest (Patricia Rozema, 2015) 5
4. Desperately Seeking Susan (Susan Seidelman, 1985) 9*

vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer » March 8th, 2020, 3:14 pm

3. Deadcon (Caryn Waechter, 2019)
4. Roll Red Roll (Nancy Schwartzman, 2018)

SpoilerShow
1. Obvious Child (Gillian Robespierre, 2014)
2. Audrie & Daisy (Bonni Cohen & Jon Shenk, 2016)
3. Deadcon (Caryn Waechter, 2019)
4. Roll Red Roll (Nancy Schwartzman, 2018)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 8th, 2020, 7:06 pm

As Good As Any Man...no, BetterShow
1. Talaash (Reema Kagti, 2012)
2. Siesta (Mary Lambert, 1987) (re-watch)
3. Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn (Cathy Yan, 2020) (cinema)
4-5. Star Trek: Picard 3 episodes 44+43+42=129 minutes

a) Episode 1 "Remembrance" (Hanelle M. Culpepper, 2020)
b) Episode 2 "Maps and Legends" (Hanelle M. Culpepper, 2020)
c) Episode 3 "The End is the Beginning" (Hanelle M. Culpepper, 2020)[/spoiler]

I've been on a *little* Star Trek kick for a few months; have gone through the first few episodes of the original series and caught a few Next Gen as well. I can't say I've ever been anything close to a serious fan - I've probably seen every episode of the first series, and maybe a third of Next Gen, a scattering from some of the later series, and all the films - but I do like the concept and I guess I'm more interested now than in the past because I feel the increasing need for a more optimistic view of the future than what we tend to get in modern SF - or in the modern world frankly. And I knew that this show would be more influenced by the J.J. Abrams reboots, and the more recent "Enterprise" series than the old stuff - and thus more trendily "dark" and "intense" and action-packed, but what the hell I figured I'd give it a shot.

And well, it lives down to my expectations so far. Unpleasant, bloody, profane - I don't necessarily mind these elements in SF or anything else, but does every science fiction or fantasy show or movie now have to have them? Does everything have to resemble, say, Game of Thrones or the Battlestar Galactica reboot in emphasizing all the unpleasant elements of the fantastic worlds, and that people are all basically terrible? I sound like an old man I guess - I'm just saying that there ought to be some place for something a little less mean about the world, and Star Trek was that exception for a long time, probably up through Deep Space 9 to some extent anyway. Not anymore - it's all gotta be dark and violent and we have to trust nobody and all of our heroes have to be at best shells or deeply flawed. And we sure can't make much space for fun or humor (though there is a bit more of that as this goes on, particularly in the 5th episode which doesn't qualify for this challenge). The basic setup here is the that the retired 92-year-old Jean-Luc Picard, living happily enough on his vineyard in France in 2399 is called upon to help a mysterious young woman who is being tracked by some super-secret Romulan agents, and when he fails spectacularly, he becomes determined to find her twin sister - unbeknownst to him, working on a Borg cube and fucking a Romulan spy of some sort - and assembles (of course) a ragtag group of freedom fighters - uhh, malcontents to do this. It so happens that the twins also seem to be the "daughters" of Data, Picard's second officer and - according to this series - best buddy on the Enterprise decades previously, who sacrificed his life to save Picard. So there's lots of homages to earlier shows and characters of course, and also extensive reworking of them to make them fit the more "realistic" i.e. negative vision of z-grade writers Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, the masterminds behind this project.

These first three episodes aren't completely worthless or anything - Stewart is always fun to watch even if he does seem as tired of the character as he is tired and old as a man here, and the new cast isn't bad, and the production of course is modern-day high-digital-gloss, which is probably appealing to a lot of people and is... all right as far as I'm concerned. I like the low-key rather wistful music and at this point though there's been plenty of action, it hasn't overpowered the show. But it feels more like a collection of fan service items and half-baked ideas that may or may not go anywhere, and the everybody-is-lying-and-has-a-dark-backstory idea is very old and overdone here already. I will probably watch through to the end of the first season but I don't expect much improvement frankly. More entertainment value for me in Mike and Rich's dissections of the show on RedLetterMedia, which have also been helpful to me to fill in some of the gaping holes in my scattered knowledge of previous shows.

6. Portrait de la jeune fille en feu / Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Céline Sciamma, 2019) (cinema)

I went into this with fairly high expectations, preparing to be disappointed - overall my experiences with films from 2019 have been a little underwhelming compared to previous years, and for whatever reason I had the feeling that I wasn't going to agree with the ecstatic responses this has received, some from people I trust. It's probably good to be cautious but... I had a good sense early on that this might be something special, and though it's a little "slow" in a sense, as let's face it most films about artists are --- we don't have much "action" and we have long periods of looking, staring, thinking, as per the usual dicta of this type of film --- it becomes evident around the halfway point that it's really a slow burn, that the moodiness of model/muse Héloise (Adèle Haenel in what may be the best performance of 2019) and the cautiousness of painter Mariane (Noémie Merlant, very nearly as good) are going to change and develop into something at once ecstatic and mournful.

This is a harder film to write about than any narrative feature I've seen in recent months, because so much of it is in the visuals, in the eyes, in the relation to landscapes both outdoors and in; while there is plenty of dialogue, it is all very carefully chosen in service of character and the inevitable destiny that a story of lesbian romance in the late 18th century must have - disengagement, or tragedy and death, or perhaps exile. It's very much to the credit of the film that I never felt sure where this was going in the final stunning half hour or so - and that I do have such a hard time putting down words. I think the choice to limit the music to a few moments of Vivaldi's "Winter" from The Four Seasons - as well used as any piece of classical music in any film I can think of offhand - was brilliant, and it's also an interesting limitation that we don't really see the exterior of the house where the film takes place - we go from rocky shores and windswept cliffs on the coast of Brittany to indoor candle-lit interiors, as if to show that this kind of experience can only exist in certain kinds of isolation; and perhaps the director's choice of a rural, lonely setting for her first period film suggests also that she desires to show them in the only kind of atmosphere where they could, for a moment at least, feel free.

There is much more to say about this and I'm sure much has been said by many others already. If I get to see this again in the cinema I'll write more for myself and the maybe 2 people who are going to read this. Suffice it to say that had I seen this before the 2019 poll ended I'd have had a real internal battle to decide which of the top three spaces it deserved, and I really, really loved my top 2.

7. Naissance des pieuvres / Water Lilies (Céline Sciamma, 2007)

So I had to watch the director's first film, and first collaboration with Adèle Haenel after coming home from her new masterpiece; I'd seen Tomboy and Bande de filles when they were new and liked both an awful lot but never got around to their predecessor. And it's much as I expected from what I knew about it - a sensitive, beautifully acted and shot but ultimately somewhat generic first love - or really first crush - story. Young and still pretty adolescent teen Marie (Pauline Acquart) falls for older, beautiful and (seemingly) boy-mad swimmer Floriane (Haenel), engendering the jealousy of her dumpy, rather childish best friend Anne (Louise Blachère). This pretty much hits all the plot points you'd expect if you've seen a few teen romance/love triangle stories but as I said, it's well done - Sciamma has a certain "classical" way of shooting that very much fits her subjects and is lovely without ever being show-offy - and it's short enough to not get tiresome. A good start to what has become a great career.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 8th, 2020, 7:20 pm

05-08. Hillary (2020) Nanette Burstein USA 2 checks
The imdb rating of this is ridicolous. It's even lower than the Razzie winner Hillary's America. There are so many trolls on imdb
09. Tiny Furniture (2010) Lena Dunham USA 1 official list 2 583 checks

Congrats on March 8th!

It's raining women, hallelujahShow
01. Charlie's Angels (2019) Elizabeth Banks USA 269 checks
02. Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) Cathy Yan USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
03. Hustlers (2019) Lorene Scafaria USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
04. Whip It (2009) Drew Barrymore USA 8 156 checks

!seen 9

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » March 8th, 2020, 8:54 pm

7. Joven y Alocada (2012, Marialy Rivas)
SpoilerShow
1. Grbavica (2006, Jasmila Zbanic)
2. De cierta manera (1977, Sara Gómez)
3. Örökbefogadás (1975, Márta Mészáros)
4. El techo (2016, Patricia Ramos)
5. Los insólitos peces gato (2013, Claudia Sainte-Luce)
6. Trabalhar Cansa (2011, Marco Dutra, Juliana Rojas)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 8th, 2020, 10:25 pm

6. The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014) 6
7. D'Est (Chantal Akerman, 1993) From the East 8
Girl Power! Bam!Show
*rewatch

Daviddoes

Post by Daviddoes » March 8th, 2020, 10:58 pm

1. Yentl (Barbra Streisand,1983) 6.5/10

2. The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years (Penelope Spheeris,1988) 8/10

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 9th, 2020, 11:44 am

Directed by WomenShow
1. Hustlers (2019)
2. So Pretty (2019)
3. Third Star (2010)
4. Sleepwalk (1986)
5. The Bookshop (2017)
10. Honey Boy (2019)
11a. UFO's (1972) 3
11b. Shulie (1997) 37
11c. Suspense (1913) 10
11d. Strings (1991) 10 = 60 total

12. The Ballad of Little Jo (1993)

Directed by Maggie Greenwald

Perhaps best thought of as Albert Nobbs in the Wild West, this is based on an actual person whose true gender was not discovered until death, though how much is true and fiction is unclear. Taken as a fiction narrative though, this is an acute study of constant fear and loneliness with Jo isolating herself as much as possible to avoid her secret getting out, yet still plagued by desires and a longing to reconnect with a son she had to leave behind.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

ororama

Post by ororama » March 9th, 2020, 11:44 am

3. Pauline (2010, Céline Sciamma) * 7 min.
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943, Maya Deren, Alexander Hammid) 14 min.
At Land (1944, Maya Deren) 15 min.
Swiss Graffiti (1975, Monique Renault, Jacqueline Veuve) * 6 min.
Borderline 1 & 2 (1981, Monique Renault) * 5 min.
All Men Are Created Equal (1987, Monique Renault) * 7 min.
Pas à deux (1988, Monique Renault, Gerrit van Dijk) 6 min.
4. Bande de filles (2014, Céline Sciamma) * 113 min.

SpoilerShow
1. Hellbound Train (1930, Eloyce Gist, James Gist) *50 min.
2. Verdict Not Guilty (1933, Eloyce Gist, James Gist) * 8 min.
Heaven-Bound Traveler (1935, Eloyce Gist, James Gist) * 15 min.
Dr. Dolittle and His Animals (1928, Lotte Reiniger) * 33 min.
Sea Child (2015, Minha Kim) * 8 min.

* First time viewing
Female directors in italics
Last edited by ororama on March 15th, 2020, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » March 9th, 2020, 7:31 pm

8. Village Rockstars (2017, Rima Das)
9. Señoritas (2013, Lina Rodriguez)
SpoilerShow
1. Grbavica (2006, Jasmila Zbanic)
2. De cierta manera (1977, Sara Gómez)
3. Örökbefogadás (1975, Márta Mészáros)
4. El techo (2016, Patricia Ramos)
5. Los insólitos peces gato (2013, Claudia Sainte-Luce)
6. Trabalhar Cansa (2011, Marco Dutra, Juliana Rojas)
8. Village Rockstars (2017, Rima Das)
9. Señoritas (2013, Lina Rodriguez)

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » March 9th, 2020, 8:30 pm

3. Fat Girl (2001, Breillat) 7

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 9th, 2020, 8:36 pm

13. Brussels Loops (Shirley Clarke + others)
IMDB lists this at just 22 minutes, but the Shirley Clarke Music Box blu-ray I have has a full hour of it, so I'm not sure what's up with IMDB.

14. I Remember You (Claudia Sparrow, 2015)
SpoilerShow

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » March 9th, 2020, 8:42 pm

15. Zama (Lucrecia Martel, 2017)
16. Nebo. Samolyot. Devushka. (Vera Storozheva, 2002)
17. Amorosa (Mai Zetterling, 1986)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 9th, 2020, 10:45 pm

We need more of thisShow
1. American Factory (2019)
2. The Virgin Suicides (1999, Sofia Coppola)
3. Gilmore Girls: I Solemnly Swear (2003, Carla McClosky)
4. Kathleen Madigan: Bothering Jesus (2016, Lorene Machado/Kathleen Madigan)
5. Gilmore Girls: Lorelai Out of Water (2003, Jamie Babbit)
6. Gilmore Girls: Dear Emily and Richard (2003, Gail Mancuso)
"7. Fresh Off the Boat: The Car Wash (2018, Amy York Rubin)
Fresh Off the Boat: A Man to Share the Night With (2018, Amy York Rubin)
Fresh Off the Boat: We Need to Talk About Evan (2018, Anya Adams)"
8. Boys Don't Cry (1999, Kimberly Peirce)
9. Making a Murderer Part 2: Words and Words Only (2018, Moira Demos/Laura Ricciardi)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

Directed by WomenShow
1. Hustlers (2019)
2. So Pretty (2019)
3. Third Star (2010)
4. Sleepwalk (1986)
5. The Bookshop (2017)
10. Honey Boy (2019)
11a. UFO's (1972) 3
11b. Shulie (1997) 37
11c. Suspense (1913) 10

13. Beware the Slenderman (2016)

Directed by Irene Taylor Brodsky

While documentary pulls in several directions, the content is fascinating, especially the detailed breakdown of memes with one expert calling them a "virus of the mind", evocative of Videodrome's "retina of the mind's eye". The film feels inconclusive as it was released amid debate over if the girls should go on trial as adults or children, so we do not get the verdict of the actual trial, but this is a potent look at the power of internet phenomena.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 10th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Directed by WomenShow
1. Hustlers (2019)
2. So Pretty (2019)
3. Third Star (2010)
4. Sleepwalk (1986)
5. The Bookshop (2017)
10. Honey Boy (2019)
11a. UFO's (1972) 3
11b. Shulie (1997) 37
11c. Suspense (1913) 10

14. Grow Up, Tony Phillips (2013)

Directed by Emily Hagins

While his character initially seems senseless and immature, Tony Vespe makes for a likeable protagonist overall as hurdles to come reveal a beating human heart beneath his quirks. The film also refreshingly celebrates his choice to be different rather than actually becoming a tale of him growing up. Positive messages aside though, the film does not have a lot to offer with none of the subplots involving side characters amounting to much.
Image Image Image

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » March 10th, 2020, 6:58 pm

4. Paris is Burning (1990, Livingston) 7
5. 13th (2016, DuVernay) 8

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » March 10th, 2020, 7:00 pm

29. Vai (2019 / Becs Arahanga, Amberley Aumua, Matasila Freshwater, Dianna Fuemana, Miria George, Ofa Guttenbeil, Marina McCartney, Nicole & Sharon Whippy ) FTV 9/10 {90 min. }
30. Der Boden unter den Füßen; aka: (2019 / Marie Kreutzer) FTV 6+/10 {108 min. }
31. The Darkest Minds (2018 / Jennifer Yuh Nelson) FTV 7+/10 {104 min. }
32. Becoming 13 (2006 / Victoria King) FTV 7/10 {48 min. }
33-37. The Handmaid’s Tale: Season One, Episodes 6-10 (2017 / Floria Sigismondi {#6-7}, Kate Dennis {#8-9}, Kari Skogland {#10}) FTV 8/10 {262 m. total}
38. Poms (2019 / Zara Hayes) FTV 7+/10 {90 min. }

Vai is a remarkable film - an anthology or portmanteau telling 8 individual stories and directed by 9 female Pacific Islanders. The stories have very individual settings and characters but their female protagonists share a common name and together their stories paint a very compelling portrait that I found very emotionally moving. This film only has 4 checks, so I urge more to see it!

Poms was exactly what I needed after finishing Season One of The Handmaids Tale which can be overwhelmingly bleak and depressing. The script for Poms was a bit slight and the story may involve a person dying of cancer but it is consistently upbeat and I found it great fun to watch these actors strut their stuff, verbally and physically.

SHE Who Must Be ObeyedShow
1. The Banana Splits Movie (2019 / Danishka Esterhazy) FTV 7/10 {89 m.}
2. Doctor Dolittle (1998 / Betty Thomas) FTV 6+/10 {85 m.}
3. I Spy (2002 / Betty Thomas) FTV 7/10 {97 m.}
4. Abominable (2019 / Jill Culton, Todd Wilderman) FTV 7+/10 {97 m.}
5. Sink or Swim (1990 / Su Friedrich) FTV 6+/10 {48 min. }
6. Brownian Movement (2010 / Nanouk Leopold) FTV 6+/10 {97 min. }
7. Minuscule – La vallee des fourmis perdues (2013 / Helene Giraud, Thomas Szabo) FTV 8/10 {89 min. }
8. The Institute (2017 / Pamela Romanowsky, James Franco) FTV 5/10 {90 min. }
9. The Park Bench (2014 / Ann LeSchander) FTV 7+/10 {79 min. }
10. Westwood: Punk, Icon, Activist (2018 / Lorna Tucker) FTV 7/10 {83 min. }
11. High Life (2018 / Claire Denis) FTV 7/10 {113 min. }
12. Tell It To the Bees (2018 / Annabel Jankel) FTV 8+/10 {108 min. }
13. The Parent Trap (1998 / Nancy Meyers) FTV 8+/10 {128 min. }
14. The Holiday (2006 / Nancy Meyers) FTV 8+/10 {136 min. }
15. Hanging Up (2000 / Diane Keaton) FTV 6+/10 {94 min. }
16. Oh Lucy! (2017 / Atsuko Hirayanagi) FTV 8+/10 {95 min. }
17. Detroit (2017 / Kathryn Bigelow) FTV 7/10 {143 min. }
18. Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blache (2018 / Pamela B. Green) FTV 8+/10 {103 min. }
19. 28 Days (2000 / Betty Thomas) FTV 7/10 {103 m.}
20. John Tucker Must Die (2006 / Betty Thomas) FTV 7-/10 {99 m.}
21. No Place on Earth (2012 / Janet Tobias) FTV 7+/10 {83 min. }
22. The Little Rascals (1994 / Penelope Spheeris) FTV 6/10 {82 min. }
23. Amelia (2009 / Mira Nair) FTV 6+/10 {111 min. }
24. On the Basis of Sex (2018 / Mimi Leder) FTV 7-/10 {120 min. }
25. RBG (2018 / Julie Cohen, Betsy West) FTV 8+/10 {98 min. }
26-28. Shorter Films {180 min. total}
a. Bacchus (2019 / Rikke Alma Krogshave Planeta) FTV 8/10 {6 min. }
b. Invasion of the Space Lobsters (2005 / Janet Perlman) FTV 7/10 {7 min. }
c. Period Piece (1996 / Jennifer Frame, Jay Rosenblatt) FTV 7+/10 {31 min. }
d. Illusions (1982 / Julie Dash) FTV 7+/10 {36 min. }
e. Scar Tissue (1979 / Su Friedrich) FTV 5/10 {7 min. }
f. Cool Hands, Warm Heart (1979 / Su Friedrich) FTV 6/10 {17 min. }
g. Janine (1990 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 6/10 {9 min. }
h. She Don’t Fade (1991 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 7/10 {23 min. }
i. Vanilla Sex (1992 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 6/10 {3 min. }
j. An Untitled Portrait (1993 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 6/10 {3 min. }
k. The Potluck and the Passion (1993 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 7/10 {30 min. }
l. Greetings From Africa (1996 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 7+/10 {8 min. }

29. Vai (2019 / Becs Arahanga, Amberley Aumua, Matasila Freshwater, Dianna Fuemana, Miria George, Ofa Guttenbeil, Marina McCartney, Nicole & Sharon Whippy ) FTV 9/10 {90 min. }
30. Der Boden unter den Füßen; aka: (2019 / Marie Kreutzer) FTV 6+/10 {108 min. }
33-37. The Handmaid’s Tale: Season One, Episodes 6-10 (2017 / Floria Sigismondi {#6-7}, Kate Dennis {#8-9}, Kari Skogland {#10}) FTV 8/10 {262 m. total}
38. Poms (2019 / Zara Hayes) FTV 8/10 {90 min. }
Views: 38 / FTV’s: 38 / {3352 min. }

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 10th, 2020, 8:42 pm

SpoilerShow
1. Keep the Change (2017, Rachel Israel) 5/10
2. Elza/ Le Bonheur d'Elza (2011, Mariette Monpierre) 8/10 Available on Kanopy, just watched it and love it!
3. Free Angela and All Political Prisoners (2012, Shola Lynch) 8/10
4. Nos vies formidables (Fabienne Godet) 5/10\
5. Honeymoon (2014, Leigh Janiak) 6/10
6. A Vigilante (2018, Sarah Daggar-Nickson) 6/10
7. One Nation Under Dog (Jenny Carchman, Ellen Goosenberg Kent, Amanda Micheli) 6/10
8. Schwestern oder Die Balance des Glücks/Sisters or the Balance of Happiness (Margarethe von Trotta) 7/10
9. Miele (Valeria Golino) 6/10
10. Act of God (Jennifer Baichwal) 7/10
11. Equal Means Equal (Kamala Kopez) 7/10

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 10th, 2020, 10:26 pm

sol wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

While documentary pulls in several directions, the content is fascinating, especially the detailed breakdown of memes with one expert calling them a "virus of the mind", evocative of Videodrome's "retina of the mind's eye". The film feels inconclusive as it was released amid debate over if the girls should go on trial as adults or children, so we do not get the verdict of the actual trial, but this is a potent look at the power of internet phenomena.
Verdict: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... l-sentence

sebby

Post by sebby » March 11th, 2020, 7:44 am

11 Sleeping with Other People (2015) 3/10
12 The Souvenir (2019) 7/10

A 7/10 almost solely for formal reasons. Ms. Joanna Hogg? More like Ms. En-Scène amirite :whistling:

13 Red Road (2006) 5/10
14 Revenge (2017) 5/10

SpoilerShow
01 The Inland Sea (1991) 8/10
02 Girlfight (2000) 4.5/10
03 Boys Don't Cry (1999) 5/10
04 The Rider (2017) 2/10
05 The Lodge (2019) 4/10
06 The Farewell (2019) 3/10
07 The Party (2017) 4/10
08 Bend It Like Beckham (2002) 5/10
09 Jenny Slate: Stage Fright (2019) 5/10
10 Deliver Us from Evil (2006) 6.5/10
11 Sleeping with Other People (2015) 3/10
12 The Souvenir (2019) 7/10
13 Red Road (2006) 5/10
14 Revenge (2017) 5/10

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 11th, 2020, 12:09 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 10:26 pm
sol wrote:

Ooh, that is interesting. I had wondered throughout the documentary whether the filmmakers were twisting things to make us feel sorry for the girls and feel that they were being unfairly treated by trialing them as adults. Now I am convinced that this was the case. Talk about glaring omissions; the documentary only reveals that the girls stabbed their friend with intent to kill, not that they stabbed her NINETEEN times. That makes quite a difference to me. It's one thing if they stabbed her, then had a change of heart or did not feel like they had in within themselves to finish her off - as the documentary implies. It's another thing if they kept stabbing her again and again. Really amazed that this was left out of the documentary and that more folks haven't complained about the omission. Still a well-made film (I'll keep it on my 500<400) but gee, talk about being one-sided.
Image Image Image

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » March 11th, 2020, 12:17 pm

04. Happy New Year, by Farah Kahn (2014) 7/10

This film had me think about the current discussion among critics about the "male gaze", as the female gaze is supposed to avoir obectifying people. Here, the actors are definitely filmed as sexier than in real life, maybe because a woman was behind the camera... But I would think the most feminine aspect of the direction could be the end credit, where all of the crew gets to dance in front of the camera and really enjoy the moment. Also, the final shot is her getting trapped in a safe by her 3 kids... I've never seen a male director film his kids in this way, and it is certainly endearing.
SpoilerShow
01. Woo Yuet dik goo si / The Story of Woo Viet, by Ann Hui (1981) 7,5/10
02. Wendy and Lucy, by Kelly Reichardt (2008) 7,5/10
03. You were never really here, by Lynne Ramsay (2017) 8,5/10
Last edited by cinephage on March 23rd, 2020, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 11th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Directed by WomenShow
1. Hustlers (2019)
2. So Pretty (2019)
3. Third Star (2010)
4. Sleepwalk (1986)
5. The Bookshop (2017)
10. Honey Boy (2019)
11a. UFO's (1972) 3
11b. Shulie (1997) 37
11c. Suspense (1913) 10
14. Grow Up, Tony Phillips (2013)

Because now is the perfect time to watch a movie about a woman travelling to Italy for a better life: :unsure:

15. Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)

Directed by Audrey Wells

While this film does not exactly offer anything new or enlightening in terms of happiness being something dependent on oneself rather than others, it is refreshing to come across a romcom in which the potential love interest is not easy to spot and in which a 'happily ever after' ending might not come. The film has precious little to offer beyond this though. There is limited conflict throughout and all the drama is very low stakes and non-urgent.
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » March 11th, 2020, 7:18 pm

18. Portrait de la jeune fille en feu (Céline Sciamma, 2019)
19. Elle est des nôtres (Siegrid Alnoy, 2003)
20. El telón de azúcar (Camila Guzmán Urzúa, 2005)

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 11th, 2020, 7:20 pm

The Slenderman doc is so terrifying. The actual Slenderman narrative film is not as bad as people say, but nowhere near as interesting as the doc.

review written 8/12/18 So, I was watching a ton of HBO docs last year. Lots of docs on murderers, children who murder, and even a cannibal cop. Slenderman didn't seem to be that threatening (he's not even real), but I did wake up from a nightmare about it after watching this documentary. None of the other frightful subjects from the documentaries I saw on HBO lodged into my subconscious. It had to be Slenderman.

Seen: August 2017

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » March 11th, 2020, 8:57 pm

39. River of Grass (1994 / Kelly Reichardt) FTV 7+/10 {76 min. }
40. Old Joy (2006 / Kelly Reichardt) FTV 7/10 {76 min. }
41. Wendy and Lucy (2008 / Kelly Reichardt) FTV 8/10 {80 min. }

SHE Who Must Be ObeyedShow
1. The Banana Splits Movie (2019 / Danishka Esterhazy) FTV 7/10 {89 m.}
2. Doctor Dolittle (1998 / Betty Thomas) FTV 6+/10 {85 m.}
3. I Spy (2002 / Betty Thomas) FTV 7/10 {97 m.}
4. Abominable (2019 / Jill Culton, Todd Wilderman) FTV 7+/10 {97 m.}
5. Sink or Swim (1990 / Su Friedrich) FTV 6+/10 {48 min. }
6. Brownian Movement (2010 / Nanouk Leopold) FTV 6+/10 {97 min. }
7. Minuscule – La vallee des fourmis perdues (2013 / Helene Giraud, Thomas Szabo) FTV 8/10 {89 min. }
8. The Institute (2017 / Pamela Romanowsky, James Franco) FTV 5/10 {90 min. }
9. The Park Bench (2014 / Ann LeSchander) FTV 7+/10 {79 min. }
10. Westwood: Punk, Icon, Activist (2018 / Lorna Tucker) FTV 7/10 {83 min. }
11. High Life (2018 / Claire Denis) FTV 7/10 {113 min. }
12. Tell It To the Bees (2018 / Annabel Jankel) FTV 8+/10 {108 min. }
13. The Parent Trap (1998 / Nancy Meyers) FTV 8+/10 {128 min. }
14. The Holiday (2006 / Nancy Meyers) FTV 8+/10 {136 min. }
15. Hanging Up (2000 / Diane Keaton) FTV 6+/10 {94 min. }
16. Oh Lucy! (2017 / Atsuko Hirayanagi) FTV 8+/10 {95 min. }
17. Detroit (2017 / Kathryn Bigelow) FTV 7/10 {143 min. }
18. Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blache (2018 / Pamela B. Green) FTV 8+/10 {103 min. }
19. 28 Days (2000 / Betty Thomas) FTV 7/10 {103 m.}
20. John Tucker Must Die (2006 / Betty Thomas) FTV 7-/10 {99 m.}
21. No Place on Earth (2012 / Janet Tobias) FTV 7+/10 {83 min. }
22. The Little Rascals (1994 / Penelope Spheeris) FTV 6/10 {82 min. }
23. Amelia (2009 / Mira Nair) FTV 6+/10 {111 min. }
24. On the Basis of Sex (2018 / Mimi Leder) FTV 7-/10 {120 min. }
25. RBG (2018 / Julie Cohen, Betsy West) FTV 8+/10 {98 min. }
26-28. Shorter Films {180 min. total}
a. Bacchus (2019 / Rikke Alma Krogshave Planeta) FTV 8/10 {6 min. }
b. Invasion of the Space Lobsters (2005 / Janet Perlman) FTV 7/10 {7 min. }
c. Period Piece (1996 / Jennifer Frame, Jay Rosenblatt) FTV 7+/10 {31 min. }
d. Illusions (1982 / Julie Dash) FTV 7+/10 {36 min. }
e. Scar Tissue (1979 / Su Friedrich) FTV 5/10 {7 min. }
f. Cool Hands, Warm Heart (1979 / Su Friedrich) FTV 6/10 {17 min. }
g. Janine (1990 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 6/10 {9 min. }
h. She Don’t Fade (1991 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 7/10 {23 min. }
i. Vanilla Sex (1992 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 6/10 {3 min. }
j. An Untitled Portrait (1993 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 6/10 {3 min. }
k. The Potluck and the Passion (1993 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 7/10 {30 min. }
l. Greetings From Africa (1996 / Cheryl Dunye) FTV 7+/10 {8 min. }
30. Der Boden unter den Füßen; aka: The Ground Beneath My Feet (2019 / Marie Kreutzer) FTV 6+/10 {108 min. }
38. Poms (2019 / Zara Hayes) FTV 7+/10 {90 min. }

39. River of Grass (1994 / Kelly Reichardt) FTV 7+/10 {76 min. }
40. Old Joy (2006 / Kelly Reichardt) FTV 7/10 {76 min. }
41. Wendy and Lucy (2008 / Kelly Reichardt) FTV 8/10 {80 min. }

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 11th, 2020, 9:01 pm

1. The Whistleblower (2010, Larysa Kondracki)
2. Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance (1993, Alanis Obamsawin)

This challenge, by the way, is a great opportunity to see my mother's movie: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... R1idc9_2_2

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 11th, 2020, 9:15 pm

8. Stripped to Kill (Katt Shea,1987) 7
Girl Power! Bam!Show
*rewatch
6. The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014) 6
7. D'Est (Chantal Akerman, 1993) From the East 8

albajos

Post by albajos » March 11th, 2020, 9:47 pm

10. The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018) Susanna Fogel Canada | USA 1 071 checks

It's raining women, hallelujahShow
01. Charlie's Angels (2019) Elizabeth Banks USA 269 checks
02. Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) Cathy Yan USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
03. Hustlers (2019) Lorene Scafaria USA 1 official list 657 checks [double]
04. Whip It (2009) Drew Barrymore USA 8 156 checks
10. The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018) Susanna Fogel Canada | USA 1 071 checks

!seen 10

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » March 11th, 2020, 10:48 pm

6. The Swamp (2001, Martel) 7

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 12th, 2020, 12:00 am

sol wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 12:09 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 10:26 pm
sol wrote:

Ooh, that is interesting. I had wondered throughout the documentary whether the filmmakers were twisting things to make us feel sorry for the girls and feel that they were being unfairly treated by trialing them as adults. Now I am convinced that this was the case. Talk about glaring omissions; the documentary only reveals that the girls stabbed their friend with intent to kill, not that they stabbed her NINETEEN times. That makes quite a difference to me. It's one thing if they stabbed her, then had a change of heart or did not feel like they had in within themselves to finish her off - as the documentary implies. It's another thing if they kept stabbing her again and again. Really amazed that this was left out of the documentary and that more folks haven't complained about the omission. Still a well-made film (I'll keep it on my 500<400) but gee, talk about being one-sided.
That's actually an interesting perspective - I was aware enough of the case from the news cycle here that I didn't even notice the omission, because I knew the outcome and was looking at other things in the doc, like how the narrative actually told a pretty scary story.

I actually binged crime docu-mini-series quite a bit in December, and there are some solid ones pretty readily available.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 12th, 2020, 12:30 pm

15. Village Rockstars (Rima Das, 2017)
SpoilerShow
15. Village Rockstars (Rima Das, 2017)