Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

2020 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

User avatar
Traveller
Posts: 984
Joined: Dec 31, 2018
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: 2020 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

#121

Post by Traveller » November 12th, 2019, 5:04 pm

:thumbsup:
ICM
February Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 1087
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#122

Post by Coryn » November 12th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Good job Sol!
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?


Prat
Posts: 537
Joined: May 04, 2012
Location: France
Contact:

#124

Post by Prat » November 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Hi,

First of all, thank you for the schedule, that's not an easy task. Trying to watch more movies, I came back here and I wonder what exactly means "run the director" ? I saw in an another message something like "watching 3+ movies" from the same director, but I'm not sure ; the challenge as to be about one director by participant ? or a least 3 movies by the same director and then another one ?

I'm not sure to participate to challenges for now, so if my question is unclear, don't bother ^^ I still have to maintain a correct rythm before thinking of challenges. And this one is in july, so there is plenty of time !

thanks !

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator
Posts: 1588
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Oregon
Contact:

#125

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 13th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Prat wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Hi,

First of all, thank you for the schedule, that's not an easy task. Trying to watch more movies, I came back here and I wonder what exactly means "run the director" ? I saw in an another message something like "watching 3+ movies" from the same director, but I'm not sure ; the challenge as to be about one director by participant ? or a least 3 movies by the same director and then another one ?

I'm not sure to participate to challenges for now, so if my question is unclear, don't bother ^^ I still have to maintain a correct rythm before thinking of challenges. And this one is in july, so there is plenty of time !

thanks !
I believe your first interpretation is correct - watch 3 or more films by the same director. I have not heard of a top limit put on the number of films that can be watched by any one director, but the host will decide that closer to the actual challenge. :cheers:

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator
Posts: 1588
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Oregon
Contact:

#126

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 13th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Sol - I was away for all the final discussions but I am happy with the way this shook out. Once again, you did a fine job getting it all to come together in a meaningful way.

:cheers:

Prat
Posts: 537
Joined: May 04, 2012
Location: France
Contact:

#127

Post by Prat » November 13th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Thank you for the answer ! Now I understand the concept :)

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 6685
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#128

Post by albajos » November 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm

I'm not hosting RTD but I'm guessing you have to see at least 3 movies by one director before you move on to the next. Probably need to post the first 3 to even get points though, so nobody will end up with 1 or 2 points at the end.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8332
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#129

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 13th, 2019, 11:16 pm

albajos wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm
I'm not hosting RTD but I'm guessing you have to see at least 3 movies by one director before you move on to the next. Probably need to post the first 3 to even get points though, so nobody will end up with 1 or 2 points at the end.
This was my understanding also; You have to watch at least 3 movies by the same director, you chose. And then you could get extra points if you watched a fourth, fifth.. movie by the same director or you could move on to another. We could also do Bonus side challenges, like for most movies by the same director. The idea behind the challenge is to give people the incentive to focus on the works from directors they want to dive (more) into.
The exact rules are still up for debate of course.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 7547
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#130

Post by sol » November 14th, 2019, 10:52 am

Thanks for all the thanks everyone. The discussion here was more heated than last year, but it was pleasing to see everyone's passion for the Challenge Series and it was great to find everyone talking through their differences in a polite and civilised manner. :poshclap:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
flavo5000
Posts: 2548
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
Contact:

#131

Post by flavo5000 » November 16th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 11:16 pm
albajos wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm
I'm not hosting RTD but I'm guessing you have to see at least 3 movies by one director before you move on to the next. Probably need to post the first 3 to even get points though, so nobody will end up with 1 or 2 points at the end.
This was my understanding also; You have to watch at least 3 movies by the same director, you chose. And then you could get extra points if you watched a fourth, fifth.. movie by the same director or you could move on to another. We could also do Bonus side challenges, like for most movies by the same director. The idea behind the challenge is to give people the incentive to focus on the works from directors they want to dive (more) into.
The exact rules are still up for debate of course.
Yup. This is exactly what I envisioned when I recommended it. I'm hoping I'll be able to host when the time comes. I've got a few different ideas for bonus challenges.

Post Reply