Korean Peninsula Challenge
Watch as many Korean movies as you can from November 1, 2019 to November 30, 2019.
- South Korea
- North Korea
- Korea (pre-1950s)
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 1 episode of any miniseries counts as one entry.
- 1 entire season of a television show counts as one entry.
- Individual television episodes are not eligible.
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- Please include year of release when listing your viewings.
- Please indicate each film's country when listing your viewings if you want to be included in the bonus challenges.
Fair play (adapted from albajos)
- Remember this is a community event, so participating is not only about listing titles. If you post early, this gives the other participants suggestions for their own viewings and it brings the community closer together.
- If you're in the top 5 please post at least once every three days.
- I will not allow anyone to enter the top 5 during the final three days with their first post.
I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.
Final results will be posted between 2:30pm and 3:00pm GMT on December 2 - at which point it will have been December everywhere in the world for more than a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's December on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges?
Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further: (big shout-out to Knalds, whose links I have shamelessly copy-and-pasted)
100 Korean Films (Korean Film Archive)
100 Korean Masterpieces by Film 2.0
iCM Forum's Favourite Korean Films
All-Time Korean Box Office
Korean Film Archive movies on Youtube
Film 2.0's Top 37 Korean Films (2002)
Film Society of Lincoln Center's 60 Years of South Korean Cinema
The Chosun Ilbo's Top 50 Korean Films
Korean Movies (by MonkeyButlerMan)
Motion Pictures Association of Korea - Grand Bell Award - Best Film
This Challenge has been run twice before in an Official capacity:
2014 Challenge - hosted by Knaldskalle and won by mjf314 with 15 points
2012 Challenge - hosted by Knaldskalle and won by aces with 41 points
Week 1: viewtopic.php?p=609732#p609732
Week 2: viewtopic.php?p=611222#p611222
This thread will be updated at least once a day (more often if I am around and feel like it). Since I am updating manually, I would appreciate it if you list new films seen in a new post. Happy
@ lonew10 sol 16
|Rank||Korean Tourist||Total # of Watches|
Bonus Challenge #1: Watch something from Pre-1950s Korea
This is challenge will be won by the person who watches the most films from Korea before the country split. Follow the link in the previous sentence for IMDb's suggestions. In order to play, you need to specify that the film that you have watched is from pre-1950s Korea!
1. Knaldskalle (3 films)
2. 72allinncallme (1 film)
2. jeroeno (1 film)
2. sol (1 film)
2. Traveller (1 film)
Bonus Challenge #2: Watch something from North Korea
This is challenge will be won by the person who watches the most films from North Korea. Follow the link in the previous sentence for IMDb's suggestions. In order to play, you need to specify that the film that you have watched is from North Korea!
1. Traveller (1 film)
1. blocho (1 film)
1. sol (1 film)