Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

2020 Challenge Ideas: Discussion Thread

albajos

Re: 2020 Challenge Ideas: Discussion Thread

Post by albajos » September 10th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Just make 24 resonable terrotories, and swap between them bi-yearly

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 11th, 2019, 2:30 am

albajos wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 8:10 pm
That makes ... perfect sense. It can't be that simple, can it?

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » September 11th, 2019, 5:07 am

Any chance I can nominate Europe or Asia for the country challenges? That would be about watching one movie from every country on the continent.

albajos

Post by albajos » September 11th, 2019, 7:50 am

jeroeno wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:07 am
Any chance I can nominate Europe or Asia for the country challenges? That would be about watching one movie from every country on the continent.
Then it would be a Conquer Europe theme challenge

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 11th, 2019, 10:14 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm
I just bring it up as there are only 6 or 7 of the non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade challenges that I am very enthusiastic about being run again in 2020. There are several such as China/HK/Taiwan and Aus/NZ/Oceania that have run in both the last two years or two out of the last three years. I'm not sure that such challenges should be given a free pass into the second stage of voting when options that weren't 2019 challenges might possibly garner more support in an open vote between all options.
Well, the Chinas and Oceania are Region/Country Challenges, so they won't be placed in a preliminary poll. ;) Same goes for all Region Challenges.

Regarding the "free pass", I'm mostly in favour of it since it simplifies the preliminary poll process. There are already going to be a heap of suggestions across the preliminary polls. It's easier for me to run if I can give some options a free pass to the October 9 polls, and this year's Challenges are the most logical options to have that free pass.
blocho wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 2:30 am
albajos wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 8:10 pm
That makes ... perfect sense. It can't be that simple, can it?
Seconding blocho. If anybody feels that they can do this, I would be interested in hear the 24 regions that you come up with.

EDIT: Just tried to do this myself - viewtopic.php?p=597330#p597330 - please comment on that thread.
albajos wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:50 am
jeroeno wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:07 am
Then it would be a Conquer Europe theme challenge
I'm happy to put down Conquering Europe and/or Asia and/or Conquering Eurasia as suggestions for 2020 should you wish to nominate them, jero. :)
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 11th, 2019, 10:43 am

sol wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 10:14 am
September 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm
I just bring it up as there are only 6 or 7 of the non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade challenges that I am very enthusiastic about being run again in 2020. There are several such as China/HK/Taiwan and Aus/NZ/Oceania that have run in both the last two years or two out of the last three years. I'm not sure that such challenges should be given a free pass into the second stage of voting when options that weren't 2019 challenges might possibly garner more support in an open vote between all options.
Well, the Chinas and Oceania are Region/Country Challenges, so they won't be placed in a preliminary poll. ;) Same goes for all Region Challenges.

Regarding the "free pass", I'm mostly in favour of it since it simplifies the preliminary poll process. There are already going to be a heap of suggestions across the preliminary polls. It's easier for me to run if I can give some options a free pass to the October 9 polls, and this year's Challenges are the most logical options to have that free pass.
Sorry about my mix-up, sol! I was looking for examples that had been repeated from 2017 or 2018 and looked in the regional thread. I'd still prefer an open vote between all options but I get that narrowing things down beforehand has its advantages.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 11th, 2019, 10:58 am

September 11th, 2019, 10:43 am
I'd still prefer an open vote between all options but I get that narrowing things down beforehand has its advantages.
Well, I don't necessarily have to decide on this right now. If we have very few additional suggestions between now and October 2, I might be working with a small enough array of suggestions to place all 2019 options in preliminary polls. But I'm expecting the suggestions pool to grow bigger and bigger over the next three weeks.

Another possibility might be only giving a free pass to 2019 Challenges that received X number of votes in last year's polls, but I have no idea what I would use for X.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 11th, 2019, 11:14 am

Yes, I know that it would be difficult to guess as to preference of participants for 2020 based upon last year's numbers. I don't know that that's the way to go. A challenge that hadn't been run for a year might have got a swell in support in last year's voting and might not be as desired this time around.
That's all, folks!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » September 11th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Maybe I don't understand the proces. But I thought the idea was now to do just simple two polls: One for country/region challenges with repeat and new options + One for all non-country/region challenges with repeat and new options.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 11th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 2:34 pm
Maybe I don't understand the proces. But I thought the idea was now to do just simple two polls: One for country/region challenges with repeat and new options + One for all non-country/region challenges with repeat and new options.
How things are looking currently:

October 2 --> I release 3 or 4 preliminary polls in which we place all non-2019 genre and theme options up to vote

October 9 --> I release one poll for us to choose the 20 genre/theme options for 2020 (in addition to the four permanent ones)

There will currently be no poll for Country/Region Challenges. We will use either this or this schedule as devised by albajos.
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 11th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 2:34 pm
These two lines sum up what I would favour. Nicely and clearly stated, Lonewolf.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 11th, 2019, 3:04 pm

I actually think it's both easier and fairer to divide up the country/region challenges into 24 options as albajos has done, but I'm happy to take feedback regarding that (though that's best done on the other thread).

Otherwise, the genre/theme poll should just be one simple poll. It's only necessary to narrow down the options before that poll is released. I don't know if having preliminary polls is a point of confusion, but I would rather not release a final poll in which we ask participants to select 20 out of 83 (!) options. And that's only 83 so far since not everybody has used up their three genre/theme challenge suggestions...
Image Image Image

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » September 13th, 2019, 4:05 pm

I support the move to blending the genre and theme challenges also. It has always bothered me that the decades were grouped in with genres, especially since there were already a few genres that filled permanent spots. This should actually open up things and let democracy decide.

Thanks sol for sorting this out in a sensible manner - and thanks to everyone else for all the lively discussion on this topic - it took me a couple of days to read through it all.

:cheers:

albajos

Post by albajos » September 15th, 2019, 5:54 pm

If you don'r want to expand JR then I'll remove Television and suggest

"All official one critic lists" as it's own option

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » September 15th, 2019, 6:22 pm

albajos wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 5:54 pm

This will be Maltin, Ebert, Rosenbaum, Truffaut, Schneider and Thomson I guess?
Or maybe Geoff King (Film Comedy), Mark Cousins (The Story of Film) and John Walker (Halliwell 1000) as well?

albajos

Post by albajos » September 15th, 2019, 6:38 pm

jeroeno wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 6:22 pm
albajos wrote:

This will be Maltin, Ebert, Rosenbaum, Truffaut, Schneider and Thomson I guess?
Or maybe Geoff King (Film Comedy), Mark Cousins (The Story of Film) and John Walker (Halliwell 1000) as well?
I would keep genre lists out of this.

The point is to go through their personal favorites, not just some movies picked because they're important.

Maltin, Ebert, Rosenbaum, Truffaut, Thomson pick general favorites.

Halliwell is a collection: "film stars, show business personalities, well-known critics, and the movers and shakers in the film industry, each naming their favorite films"

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 15th, 2019, 10:46 pm

albajos wrote:

No problem. Will add to the OP. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » September 16th, 2019, 1:17 am

Throwing in some ideas for genres...

Food/Drink (movies where food or drink play a prominent role)
Sports Movies
Starring children (Children in main roles)
Royalty
Drug use (probably high crossover with counter-culture but not necessarily)
Based on literary work
Based on true story

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » September 16th, 2019, 8:05 am

Sports Movies aren't nominated yet? I'll use my second nomination for that.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 16th, 2019, 11:36 am

@jero - added

@kublai - some good ideas there; you have until October 2 to decide which three of those you'd like to nominate if nobody else jumps on them first
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Theme: Disabilities (physical/mental) -- or "differently abled" if you wanna be PC, but let's not
(could also call it the Challenged Challenge)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » September 16th, 2019, 5:09 pm

sol wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 11:36 am
@kublai - some good ideas there; you have until October 2 to decide which three of those you'd like to nominate if nobody else jumps on them first
Ah, okay. Since jero is nomming sports movies, then I'll nominate:

- Starring children
- Royalty
- Based on Literature

albajos

Post by albajos » September 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Just so you know. 2/3 of all movies made are based on a previous published text.

Maybe limit it to literature from a specific century perhaps? Or contemporary writers? Just throwing out suggestions here or else this challenge will be way too wide.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 16th, 2019, 5:35 pm

My third suggestion:
Longest string of movie titles Challenge.
A challenge version of this game. Each participant have their own string.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm

albajos wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm
Just so you know. 2/3 of all movies made are based on a previous published text.

Maybe limit it to literature from a specific century perhaps? Or contemporary writers? Just throwing out suggestions here or else this challenge will be way too wide.
I agree that this topic needs narrowing. (Dead authors? Pre-21st / 20th century? Fiction?)

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » September 16th, 2019, 6:58 pm

albajos wrote:

Yeah, I had literary works at first, then pared it down to Literature because I was specifically thinking novels. I was having trouble making a category that's not too broad or too narrow.

Maybe based on NYTimes best sellers?

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 16th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 6:58 pm
albajos wrote:

Yeah, I had literary works at first, then pared it down to Literature because I was specifically thinking novels. I was having trouble making a category that's not too broad or too narrow.

Maybe based on NYTimes best sellers?
That could create problems for our non-US / non-Anglophone members.
Film based on novels might work. Rules out the Iliad/Odyssey/Dante/Shakespeare etc.... Literary classics is another option - in which case Pre-20th century would probably be Goldilocks zone.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » Yesterday, 11:55 am

@3eyes, @72a - added

@Kublai - added all three; I have gone with "based on a novel" at the moment, but let me know if you want to refine or change that
Image Image Image

Coryn

Post by Coryn » Today, 1:50 pm

I'd like to add historical movies with non fiction elements if possible, if it's not clear enough then historical drama will do although that might be too broad, what do you think?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » Today, 3:15 pm

Coryn wrote:
Today, 1:50 pm
I'd like to add historical movies with non fiction elements if possible, if it's not clear enough then historical drama will do although that might be too broad, what do you think?
I love that category. I think the descriptor "historical non-fiction" is good.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » Today, 3:27 pm

@Coryn, blocho - added to the OP. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image