Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

2020 Challenge Ideas: Discussion Thread

sol
Donator

Re: 2020 Challenge Ideas: Discussion Thread

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Welcome to Page 2 of this thread. There are currently two options on the table (based on suggestions from others) that I would like feedback on:

Change things around so that there are 12 Country/Region and 24 Anything Else Challenges

This would solve the whole genre/theme blur issue and would allow more themes into the schedule, which would seem to be a good thing since there are always so many theme suggestions to navigate through each year.

Change the polling system so that we vote for everything in a single poll, rather than separating Repeat and 'New in 2020' options

Pro: We don't have to repeat a certain number of 2019 challenges if we don't want to.

Con: We might end up voting for most of the same options as in 2019, which would mean less variety.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 8th, 2019, 12:34 pm

sol wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:06 pm
albajos wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 11:37 am
Also expand Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials to all official critic lists.

Which seems is just Ebert and Truffaut. So 3 in total.

The others are edited by several.
Would be interested to hear other opinions on this. When we had a Critics List Challenge in November 2017 it was a messy disaster since nobody knew which lists we were meant to be using.

Ebert and Truffaut don't have enough variety among them to be run as single challenges, so I suppose a merge wouldn't be out of the question even if it feels a bit weird since we have had Rosenbaum on its own three times before.

I wonder if we could do a Siskel & Ebert Challenge, maybe using Siskel's year-by-year top 10s? That could be interesting.
What about Leonard Maltin and David Thompson (Have you seen?)?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » September 8th, 2019, 1:39 pm

sol wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:12 pm
Welcome to Page 2 of this thread. There are currently two options on the table (based on suggestions from others) that I would like feedback on:

Change things around so that there are 12 Country/Region and 24 Anything Else Challenges

This would solve the whole genre/theme blur issue and would allow more themes into the schedule, which would seem to be a good thing since there are always so many theme suggestions to navigate through each year.

Change the polling system so that we vote for everything in a single poll, rather than separating Repeat and 'New in 2020' options

Pro: We don't have to repeat a certain number of 2019 challenges if we don't want to.

Con: We might end up voting for most of the same options as in 2019, which would mean less variety.
I’m for the second option; just a single poll.

I’m for the first option. But than when making the schedule it should be taken into consideration that the two non-regional challenges aren’t too similar, f.e. two decades or two genres running in the same month, to keep some diversity.

I think enough people here want a mix between new challenges and some favorite old ones to be a safeguard against the poll resulting in a repeat of this years schedule.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » September 8th, 2019, 1:55 pm

I brought this up in an earlier thread but I think a Stand-up/live performance challenge would be interesting, including stand-up specials, monologues, plays, concerts, etc.

And I'm gonna be "that guy" and suggest the Adult film challenge (knowing full well it won't be voted in but I feel obligated to bring it up).

Also I'm all for axing the decades challenges. They're lazy and boring. I pretty much only ever take part in them incidentally.

Btw, Animation is a theme, not a genre. Just throwing that out there since last year it got bucketed wrong and bumped out because of it.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:39 pm
I’m for the second option; just a single poll.

I’m for the first option. But than when making the schedule it should be taken into consideration that the two non-regional challenges aren’t too similar, f.e. two decades or two genres running in the same month, to keep some diversity.
Agreed.
flavo5000 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:55 pm
I brought this up in an earlier thread but I think a Stand-up/live performance challenge would be interesting, including stand-up specials, monologues, plays, concerts, etc.
I can add this to the OP.
flavo5000 wrote:
I'm gonna be "that guy" and suggest the Adult film challenge (knowing full well it won't be voted in but I feel obligated to bring it up).
Please don't. I had some discussion with max last year when it looked like the challenge idea might actually gain enough support to go ahead. We then consulted with Lauren and Adam who confirmed that they wouldn't support such a challenge going ahead on their forum (should it gain enough support), so consider that option vetoed by the site admin.
flavo5000 wrote:
Also I'm all for axing the decades challenges. They're lazy and boring. I pretty much only ever take part in them incidentally.
We are not going to axe the decade challenges. It would be grossly unfair to do since they have gained widespread support from forum members in the polls during the past couple of years. However, there might be less chance of any making the cut next year with the way that we are shaking things up.
flavo5000 wrote:
Btw, Animation is a theme, not a genre. Just throwing that out there since last year it got bucketed wrong and bumped out because of it.
Agreed about it being a theme (I can't even remember the logic for including it as a genre in the first place) - however, this probably won't be an issue since, at the moment, it appear that most people are in favour of merging Theme and Genre together under an 'Anything Else' banner where we will select 24 non-Country/Region challenges regardless of whether they are genre, theme or whatnot.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:56 pm
You could be right. Assuming you do mean 2 or 3 polls instead of 4 or 6?
I moved our conversation to this thread 3eyes.

Yes. If we follow the original plan, 18/36 challenges in 2020 will be challenges we had this year. Versus 4+/36 with the new suggestion. (sol might want to confirm those numbers).

I’m willing to take a chance on us being frisky enough to vote for some fresh challenges :)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 2:35 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm
3eyes wrote:

Yes. If we follow the original plan, 18/36 challenges in 2020 will be challenges we had this year. Versus 4+/36 with the new suggestion. (sol might want to confirm those numbers).
Those numbers are correct.

I am personally of the opinion that with the new suggestion we will end up with more than 18 challenges repeated - but I am also curious to see whether this actually happens or not. And if it turns out to be something ridiculous like 24/36 being repeated, we could always revert back to the old system when setting up the 2021 Challenge Series.
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » September 8th, 2019, 2:42 pm

sol wrote:

Option 1: Agreed 100%
Option 2 : Agreed 100% :cheers:

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 8th, 2019, 2:52 pm

sol wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 2:35 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm
3eyes wrote:

Those numbers are correct.

I am personally of the opinion that with the new suggestion we will end up with more than 18 challenges repeated - but I am also curious to see whether this actually happens or not. And if it turns out to be something ridiculous like 24/36 being repeated, we could always revert back to the old system when setting up the 2021 Challenge Series.
One could always set a 50% cap on ‘old’ challenges (?)

I know, I know. Something about having a cake and eating it too. :lol:

albajos

Post by albajos » September 8th, 2019, 3:38 pm

sol wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:06 pm
albajos wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 11:37 am
Also expand Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials to all official critic lists.

Which seems is just Ebert and Truffaut. So 3 in total.

The others are edited by several.
Would be interested to hear other opinions on this. When we had a Critics List Challenge in November 2017 it was a messy disaster since nobody knew which lists we were meant to be using.

Ebert and Truffaut don't have enough variety among them to be run as single challenges, so I suppose a merge wouldn't be out of the question even if it feels a bit weird since we have had Rosenbaum on its own three times before.

I wonder if we could do a Siskel & Ebert Challenge, maybe using Siskel's year-by-year top 10s? That could be interesting.
There is a reason why we don't do AFi-list anymore. People generally have, or are close to completing them.

So running a challenge with only list will generally end up with more and more people completing it and it dying a slow death.

Also Rosenbaum is just one taste, so those who disagree with him will have a miserable time in the challenge. More diverse critics, more enjoyment in the challenge. And we're in the 2020s. challenges have been held for almost a decade now, and seeral have been discontinued. It will happen to Rosenbaum sooner or later. I just vote for sooner.

"Official critic lists" will also include future additions to the site as well, so it will stay fresh.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » September 8th, 2019, 4:52 pm

I'm okay with the two suggestions mentioned in #41.
ICM
September Challenge: ImageImage
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 8th, 2019, 6:22 pm

sol wrote:

My knee-jerk reaction to the first suggestion is "No - that's a terrible idea", but I don't have a good reason for that opinion, and others have made reasonable points in favor of it, so consider me neutral on that.

I like the idea of the second.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 8th, 2019, 7:02 pm

I'm cool with the 12/24 suggestion and the one about holding a single poll (with the proviso that not more than 50% are repeating challenges). I hope it encourages adventurousness and diversity in selection.

We've had China/HK/Taiwan challenges the last two years and Aus/NZ/Oceania in two out of the last three years. I think perhaps that those are two that could be skipped in 2020 in favour of fresh offerings. I would hope that an Indian challenge might be one of the successful options for next year. I'd love to see that come to pass, as I couldn't take part in the last one a couple of years ago. I think I saw Maxwell propose it in one of these threads. If so, may I second that suggestion.

I hope France, Westerns, Directed by Women, DtC Nominees, Low IMDb Rating, and maybe Silents return in 2020. I think there's an argument that they should all be recurring challenges.

I think it's particularly important that DtC Nominees should be run in conjunction with Angel's project. It added something special to the whole wonderful endeavour this year. I think it ties in and complements in the same way the Under 400 Checks challenge does (and indeed has much more of a potential to influence the results, as the pool of films is provided).

Thanks for doing this, sol!
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on September 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » September 8th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I am OK with 1st idea too.

I am concerned that with the second we end-up with more or less the same challenges as this year - this forum can be a little conservative as a whole :sweat: . So maybe it should come with a stop-clause that limits 2019 challenges to 8, irrespectively of how many have voted for them.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 8th, 2019, 8:16 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I am concerned that with the second we end-up with more or less the same challenges as this year - this forum can be a little conservative as a whole :sweat: . So maybe it should come with a stop-clause that limits 2019 challenges to 8, irrespectively of how many have voted for them.
you mean in addition to the 4 permanent ones?

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » September 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 8:16 pm
hurluberlu wrote:

you mean in addition to the 4 permanent ones?
Yes, I think it was the original idea.

ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm

sol wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:13 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 9:18 pm
For theme suggestions, I have two off the top of my head (kudos to albajos for suggestion Indigenous Narratives):
Actually, albajos didn't intend to nominate Indigenous Narratives, so I will be removing it, unless you want to nominate it yourself.
So yeah. Forget albajos then. :P

For my third...

Indigenous Narratives
With native peoples all over the world, it would be great to hear their stories.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 11:07 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 2:52 pm
One could always set a 50% cap on ‘old’ challenges (?)

I know, I know. Something about having a cake and eating it too. :lol:
hurluberlu wrote:

I think those caps are far too low. I'm not saying that as someone who loves the idea of repeated challenges, but rather as someone who wants to respect popular opinion. Just as we shouldn't force repeated challenges into the schedule, we shouldn't force squeeze them out either - especially not if we are putting everything together as one poll.

What I think makes sense is putting a minimum amount in place on both ends: At least 25% (9 out of 36) of Challenges need to be new in 2020 and at least 25% (9 out of 36) need to be repeated options - with the five permanent challenges included in this minimum 9. If the percentage of new challenges is anywhere between 25 and 75%, I think that's fair given the way that we are deciding to poll things. If we want to set very low limits/caps, we might as well release two separate polls for new and repeat options, as was the original plan.
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:02 pm
I think it's particularly important that DtC Nominees should be run in conjunction with Angel's project. It added something special to the whole wonderful endeavour this year. I think it ties in and complements in the same way the Under 400 Checks challenge does (and indeed has much more of a potential to influence the results, as the pool of films is provided).

Thanks for doing this, sol!
No problem - and I agree with you on the benefit of the DTC nominees challenge. I hope that one gets enough votes to be run again in 2020, and run as one of 24 'Anything Else' options rather than as one of 12 themes, it will hopefully stand a better chance of reelection.
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm
For my third...

Indigenous Narratives
With native peoples all over the world, it would be great to hear their stories.
Will update and add this in later.

For what it's worth, I'm going to give another 12-15 hours, and if no serious objections come up, I'll change the OP to sort everything into a single 'Anything Else' category - and change the info in the OP on how we will be voting for them.
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 9th, 2019, 7:56 am

I'd like to nominate Religion/Spirituality as a challenge idea, if that's acceptable.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 9th, 2019, 8:27 am

September 9th, 2019, 7:56 am
I'd like to nominate Religion/Spirituality as a challenge idea, if that's acceptable.
Yes, that's fine. :innocent:
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 9th, 2019, 8:44 am

sol wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:27 am
You just HAD to use that smilie, didn't you, sol?!?

:satstunned: (D:) :finger: :circle: :guns:

albajos

Post by albajos » September 9th, 2019, 10:40 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:44 am
sol wrote:

We have had it before.

Not really sure how to limit the movies though. All Ecumenical winners in festvals?

"Watch as many movies as you can that are spiritual/religious, have spiritual/religious themes, or films with spiritual concepts that fall outside the domain of a single, "organized" religion"

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 9th, 2019, 11:00 am

albajos wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 10:40 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
sol wrote:

We have had it before.

Not really sure how to limit the movies though. All Ecumenical winners in festvals?

"Watch as many movies as you can that are spiritual/religious, have spiritual/religious themes, or films with spiritual concepts that fall outside the domain of a single, "organized" religion"
I wouldn't limit it to film festival winners, albajos. I wouldn't see any point in that.

Your definition seems about right.
That's all, folks!

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 9th, 2019, 11:53 am

September 9th, 2019, 11:00 am
albajos wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 10:40 am
maxwelldeux wrote:

We have had it before.

I wouldn't limit it to film festival winners, albajos. I wouldn't see any point in that.

Your definition seems about right.
I think Albie was joking.
Heh, I think the Spiritually Significant list was the first plat I got after the cartoon thing. I'd go for this one, Roger.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Nice to hear that a religion/spirituality challenge might be of interest to you, 3eyes. I don't think I know of that list that you refer to.

While I'm here, sol, may I offer my second suggestion? Independent Cinema it is. I think that that could prove to be a very intriguing and rewarding challenge.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 9th, 2019, 3:08 pm

September 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm
Nice to hear that a religion/spirituality challenge might be of interest to you, 3eyes. I don't think I know of that list that you refer to.

While I'm here, sol, may I offer my second suggestion? Independent Cinema it is. I think that that could prove to be a very intriguing and rewarding challenge.
This is the Spirituality list that she is referring to.

Added your second challenge suggestion. :thumbsup:

By the way, I have now updated the OP to reflect what we are current doing (single poll/24 'anything else') for anybody who is interested.
Image Image Image

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 9th, 2019, 3:20 pm

sol wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 3:08 pm

By the way, I have now updated the OP to reflect what we are current doing (single poll/24 'anything else') for anybody who is interested.
Thanks sol. You’re doing a great job as an organizer :)
- - -
I’m not sure if I want to use my last suggestion on it, but I think a ‘Mental health’ challenge could be interesting. Movies/docs that deals with the subject mental health/illness.

What do people think?

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 9th, 2019, 3:57 pm

sol wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm

This is the Spirituality list that she is referring to.

Added your second challenge suggestion. :thumbsup:

Cool. Thanks for pointing me to that, sol. Plenty on that list that I haven't seen.
That's all, folks!

Traveller

Post by Traveller » September 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm

sol wrote:
In order to avoid overcrowding the single poll, we will have three or four preliminary polls (run from October 2 to October 9) in which we will vote on which options will make into the October 9 poll.
This is probably a good idea. How will this be done exactly, though, as in which suggestions go into which preliminary poll?
ICM
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 9th, 2019, 4:17 pm

One thing just struck me about the 9th of October poll and the preliminary polls a week earlier. Is it possible that by allowing all non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade challenges to go up against the best performing options that will have emerged from the preliminary polls we will end up giving an advantage and 'free hand' to options that appear/appeared in 2019? Would it possibly be fairer and more even-handed to not have an initial stage on the 2nd of October and instead divide all the Theme/Genre/Decade options into however many polls were deemed necessary? Those 20 that received the highest number of votes could then be added to the four permanent challenges to make up the 24 for 2020.

I don't know... It's just something that crossed my mind when looking through the thread.
That's all, folks!

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » September 9th, 2019, 5:47 pm

sol wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 11:07 pm
hurluberlu wrote:

I think those caps are far too low. I'm not saying that as someone who loves the idea of repeated challenges, but rather as someone who wants to respect popular opinion. Just as we shouldn't force repeated challenges into the schedule, we shouldn't force squeeze them out either - especially not if we are putting everything together as one poll.

What I think makes sense is putting a minimum amount in place on both ends: At least 25% (9 out of 36) of Challenges need to be new in 2020 and at least 25% (9 out of 36) need to be repeated options - with the five permanent challenges included in this minimum 9. If the percentage of new challenges is anywhere between 25 and 75%, I think that's fair given the way that we are deciding to poll things. If we want to set very low limits/caps, we might as well release two separate polls for new and repeat options, as was the original plan.
I had your first idea in mind and meant 8 for Theme/Decades/Genre - I agree with your proposal nevertheless.

ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 9th, 2019, 7:49 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 3:20 pm
sol wrote:

- - -
I’m not sure if I want to use my last suggestion on it, but I think a ‘Mental health’ challenge could be interesting. Movies/docs that deals with the subject mental health/illness.

What do people think?
I've been mulling over a "handicapped" list with not much light on boundaries -- physical, mental, both? Could work as a challenge. Would you include handicaps such as autism & Down's syndrome, 72? (Not that such folks see themselves as mentally ill). I find the definition of "mental health/illness" pretty slippery. ("I don't WANna get adjusted/ to this world, to this world....")

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » September 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm

sol wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 2:15 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
I'm gonna be "that guy" and suggest the Adult film challenge (knowing full well it won't be voted in but I feel obligated to bring it up).
Please don't. I had some discussion with max last year when it looked like the challenge idea might actually gain enough support to go ahead. We then consulted with Lauren and Adam who confirmed that they wouldn't support such a challenge going ahead on their forum (should it gain enough support), so consider that option vetoed by the site admin.
It's cool. Just thought I'd mention it since it seems like somebody brings it up every year. Honestly, I doubt I'd really take much part in it even if it was held. Not the kind of movies that are easily binge-able...

For my third suggestion, how about a Run the Director challenge? Pick a director. Watch as many films as possible from that director with a minimum of three then move to another director. Rinse. Repeat. I always like challenges that have a bit of a gamification element to them rather than just "watch a bunch of movies and blast out a list into a forum thread."

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 9th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Traveller wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm
sol wrote:
In order to avoid overcrowding the single poll, we will have three or four preliminary polls (run from October 2 to October 9) in which we will vote on which options will make into the October 9 poll.
This is probably a good idea. How will this be done exactly, though, as in which suggestions go into which preliminary poll?
I'll be able to give everyone a better idea about this closer to October 2. It's all about trying to find a logical way to lump the suggestions together.

For last year's preliminary polls, I went with plot/character based, awards/list based and a third miscellaneous option:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3952&view=unread#unread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3953&view=unread#unread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3954&view=unread#unread

When it gets closer to the time (let's say around September 28), I'll give everybody a heads-up about how I'm planning to group things so that I can get feedback on it.
September 9th, 2019, 4:17 pm
One thing just struck me about the 9th of October poll and the preliminary polls a week earlier. Is it possible that by allowing all non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade challenges to go up against the best performing options that will have emerged from the preliminary polls we will end up giving an advantage and 'free hand' to options that appear/appeared in 2019? Would it possibly be fairer and more even-handed to not have an initial stage on the 2nd of October and instead divide all the Theme/Genre/Decade options into however many polls were deemed necessary?
I could do that. We don't have to give a free pass to every idea that was run this year. I just struck me as something 'nice' to do, for lack of a better term.
flavo5000 wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm
For my third suggestion, how about a Run the Director challenge? Pick a director. Watch as many films as possible from that director with a minimum of three then move to another director. Rinse. Repeat. I always like challenges that have a bit of a gamification element to them rather than just "watch a bunch of movies and blast out a list into a forum thread."
Can add later. Too busy now. Have to get to work.

(will be checking this thread again in around 10-12 hours)
Image Image Image

Traveller

Post by Traveller » September 10th, 2019, 4:25 am

sol wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 11:18 pm
Traveller wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm
sol wrote:
I'll be able to give everyone a better idea about this closer to October 2. It's all about trying to find a logical way to lump the suggestions together.

For last year's preliminary polls, I went with plot/character based, awards/list based and a third miscellaneous option:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3952&view=unread#unread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3953&view=unread#unread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3954&view=unread#unread

When it gets closer to the time (let's say around September 28), I'll give everybody a heads-up about how I'm planning to group things so that I can get feedback on it.
Oh, I missed those, thanks. Awesome, sol. :thumbsup: Grouping them, if remotely possible, would have been my suggestion, too.
ICM

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 10th, 2019, 2:14 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 7:49 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
sol wrote:

- - -

What do people think?
I've been mulling over a "handicapped" list with not much light on boundaries -- physical, mental, both? Could work as a challenge. Would you include handicaps such as autism & Down's syndrome, 72? (Not that such folks see themselves as mentally ill). I find the definition of "mental health/illness" pretty slippery. ("I don't WANna get adjusted/ to this world, to this world....")
Sure, I was thinking more in movies dealing with depression and the likes, but yes. What should be the name of such a challenge?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 10th, 2019, 2:26 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:14 pm
3eyes wrote:
72allinncallme wrote:

- - -

What do people think?
Sure, I was thinking more in movies dealing with depression and the likes, but yes. What should be the name of such a challenge?
You could easily go with "Mental and Physical Illness Challenge", but I don't think that we could include autism as part of such a challenge. For a title, you could look at "Mental and Physical Illness and Neurological Disorders" if you wanted to lump autism in there, but I think's it more than a little offensive to associate autism with illness.
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 10th, 2019, 4:43 pm

sol wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:26 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:14 pm
3eyes wrote:

You could easily go with "Mental and Physical Illness Challenge", but I don't think that we could include autism as part of such a challenge. For a title, you could look at "Mental and Physical Illness and Neurological Disorders" if you wanted to lump autism in there, but I think's it more than a little offensive to associate autism with illness.
Disabilities? I certainly know people who live with chronic depression and such who consider themselves functionally impaired.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » September 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm

sol wrote:
One thing just struck me about the 9th of October poll and the preliminary polls a week earlier. Is it possible that by allowing all non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade challenges to go up against the best performing options that will have emerged from the preliminary polls we will end up giving an advantage and 'free hand' to options that appear/appeared in 2019? Would it possibly be fairer and more even-handed to not have an initial stage on the 2nd of October and instead divide all the Theme/Genre/Decade options into however many polls were deemed necessary?
I could do that. We don't have to give a free pass to every idea that was run this year. I just struck me as something 'nice' to do, for lack of a better term.
I just bring it up as there are only 6 or 7 of the non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade challenges that I am very enthusiastic about being run again in 2020. There are several that have run in both the last two years or two out of the last three years. I'm not sure that such challenges should be given a free pass into the second stage of voting when options that weren't 2019 challenges might possibly garner more support in an open vote between all options.

However, if I'm the only person raising it I realise people must be content with the current plan.
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on September 11th, 2019, 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
That's all, folks!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » September 10th, 2019, 8:04 pm

September 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm
sol wrote:
I just bring it up as there are only 6 or 7 of the non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade challenges that I am very enthusiastic about being run again in 2020. There are several such as China/HK/Taiwan and Aus/NZ/Oceania that have run in both the last two years or two out of the last three years. I'm not sure that such challenges should be given a free pass into the second stage of voting when options that weren't 2019 challenges might possibly garner more support in an open vote between all options.

However, if I'm the only the only person raising it I realise people must be content with the current plan.
I support this. I'm all for mixing things up and keeping things fresh.