Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

The Official Low IMDB Rating Challenge (July 2019)

albajos

The Official Low IMDB Rating Challenge (July 2019)

Post by albajos » June 27th, 2019, 10:09 am

Low IMDb Rating Challenge

ImageImageImageImage

Goal
- Watch as many movies with IMDb ratings of 5.4 or lower as you can (or want) from July 1st, 2018 to July 31st, 2019.

Rules
- I just want to make it simple, so 60 minutes are the limit for everything- Anything shorter needs to be combined for points.
But you are free to combine TV with regular shorts.

- Post (year), and preferably original title.
- Post IMDB rating
- No adult titles, and please no NSFW pictures in the thread. I tend to check this on the bus. :circle: (If you really have to put it in a NSFW spoiler)
- The 5,4 rating limit is the rating at the time when you watched it. Not after you have voted. If it's in danger of raising and become uneligible, just post as soon as possible after you've seen it.

Fair play
- Remember this is a community event, so participating aren't only about listing up titles. If you post early this give the other participants suggestions to their own viewings. And brings the community closer together.
- If you're in the top 5 please post at least bi-daily (as this is vacation time, send a short PM to me if you get way ahead without posting, so I can give status updates to the others)
- I will not allow anyone to enter the top 5 on the final day with their first post.

Official lists
None - there are some that partly fit the challenge though. Almost half of the Badmovies list is eligible.

Other lists
Bottom 100 Ranked Movies (imdb)
Everything on imdb sorted by rating (imdb)
Movies on imdb sorted by rating (imdb)

All eligible movies seen in this and previous challenge

Unoofficial lists (the majority of the movies in these lists are eligible)
Razzie winners
Razzie - all nominations
The Stinkers Bad Movie Awards (imdb)

Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst

Record
We have held this challenge once before. flavo5000 has the record with 142 points. albajos has the record with a monthly average of 2,73.

Bonus challenge
I will run the same bonus challenge as last time. Lowest possible average rating across all movies. At least 5 movies to enter the table.

RankParticipant20192018
1 albajos 7862
2 jdidaco 4030
3 Kublai Khan 39-
4 sol 3036
5 jeroeno 2617
6 RogerTheMovieManiac88 257
7 vortexsurfer 22-
8 maxwelldeux 1520
8 VincentPrice 1547
10 sebby 91
11 ChrisReynolds 835
12 blocho 51
12 hurluberlu 59
14 cinephage 43
14 flavo5000 4?
14 Mochard 49
17 allisoncm 31
17 Cinepolis 3-
19 72allinncallme 212
19 3eyes 22
21 funkybusiness 1-
21 mathiasa 1?
21 mightysparks 1?
21 shugs 1-
21 zzzorf 1?
25 all 34413,76

bonusShow
RankParticipantFeaturesShortsAv. rating2018
1 maxwelldeux 153,104,17
2 albajos 768 / 23,282,73
3 vortexsurfer 223,77-
4 Kublai Khan 374 / 23,98-
5 ChrisReynolds 84,454,80
6 VincentPrice 154,494,57
7 RogerTheMovieManiac88 254,70X
8 hurluberlu 54,725,16
9 jdidaco 385 / 24,775,03
10 sol 304,864,81
11 sebby 94,86DNQ
12 blocho 54,88DNQ
13 jeroeno 264,883,53

(if you watch 8 shorts for one point, it will be the total average of those 8 that count in the bonus challenge. Not the 8 separate ones.)
Last edited by albajos on July 18th, 2019, 9:18 pm, edited 20 times in total.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 27th, 2019, 12:34 pm

albajos wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 10:09 am
Fair play
- Remember this is a community event, so participating isn't only listing up titles. If you post early this give the other participants suggestions to their own viewing. And brings the community closer together.
- If you're in the top 5 please post at least bi-daily (as this is vacation time, send a short PM me if you get way ahead without postong, so I can give status updates to the others)
- I will not allow anyone to enter the top 5 on the final day with their first post.
Well said. I might include a similar paragraph in the next Challenge that I host if that's okay with you. Imitation = best form of flattery etc. ;)

Any chance you can link the 2018 Low IMDb Rating Challenge in the OP? I'll be using it as a source of recommendations and I suspect that others will too.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 27th, 2019, 12:41 pm

I won't participate but you should do "movies featured on MST3K"

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 27th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Thanks for hosting, albajos... I am focusing on mystery-thrillers next month (hopefully mostly gialli), so any that are lower than 5.4 I will try to cross-post here.

albajos

Post by albajos » June 27th, 2019, 12:54 pm

sol wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Any chance you can link the 2018 Low IMDb Rating Challenge in the OP? I'll be using it as a source of recommendations and I suspect that others will too.
Depends how much time I have these days, I was think of making an imdb list of the previous challenge.

"Recommandations": It is a reason I use "suggestions" instead :whistling:
Last edited by albajos on June 27th, 2019, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

albajos

Post by albajos » June 27th, 2019, 1:01 pm

blueboybob wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 12:41 pm
I won't participate but you should do "movies featured on MST3K"
Just remember that MST3K movies do have a ranking of their own, as they have been reedited for the episodes

So if anyone is think of watching these, it's really only the originals that are eligible.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 27th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Did a little digging and for those interested, here is the 2018 Low IMDb Rating Challenge thread.

Skimming through the old thread, I noticed that one of the OP lists that I included was They Shoot Zombies (ordered by IMDb rating) since Lauren has copies of these on IMDb.

Here is the They Shoot Zombies List 2019 sorted by lowest IMDb rating. The first 67 films are eligible Official Status movies, though 11 of those are on 5.4 - so right on the cusp of being ineligible.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 27th, 2019, 5:32 pm

I will make a cameo appearance. If I watch a NSFW (Not so fucking weird?) movie by mistake, I trust I won't be disqualified.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

albajos

Post by albajos » June 27th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Not safe for work. :ph43r:

I guess there will be a lot of so fucking weird movies here. Goes with the territory.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Well, I'm currently in the middle of a weird fascination with shark movies, so I'll have several of those to contribute.

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » June 27th, 2019, 8:28 pm

I don't get the appeal. I'm fascinated by people who seek out objectively bad films. Divisive films that people are as likely to rate 2 or 9 out of ten makes sense but most of the views last year seem to be of the so bad its good variety. Why not just watch a movie that is just good then?

Not a criticism, just genuinely baffled. What is it that I'm missing?

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 27th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Obgeoff wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 8:28 pm
I don't get the appeal. I'm fascinated by people who seek out objectively bad films. Divisive films that people are as likely to rate 2 or 9 out of ten makes sense but most of the views last year seem to be of the so bad its good variety. Why not just watch a movie that is just good then?

Last year it struck some folks that we had never tried this and well, the occasional bad movie can be fun -- But appeal is the wrong word, I think. There might be an element of recalling one's youthful experiments with a video camera, for example. Ed Wood is the William Topaz McGonagall of filmdom.

I don't plan to gorge on the stuff, or watch anything that isn't a double. (btw, what about the Bad movies official list? Not all the titles qualify, but some definitely do. Just wishsICM would let you filter by rating.)

albajos

Post by albajos » June 27th, 2019, 9:00 pm

You learn as much filmmaking from seeing bad movies as from seeing good ones, maybe even more.

Here you see why certain techniques simply doesn't work. Tilted cameras. Lacking scripts. Bad acting.
But some still got heart. And we should cherish those movies, even if the director got no talent at least s/he got a passion. Something that is lacking from almost everything mainstream.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 27th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Obgeoff wrote:

For me, there are a couple things at play. One key thing is that watching "bad" films makes me appreciate the good films more. I find it easy to lose perspective when I'm just watching "good" films - the writing, the acting, the cinematography, etc. are so consistently good that I end up nitpicking over stupid stuff. But mixing in bad films helps me see what makes the good films good.

There's also the pure escapism aspect. Good films are challenging, make me think, make me question my beliefs, teach me new things about films and film making. But sometimes, I'm not in the mood for that. Sometimes I want to kick back with several beers and watch a dude with a baseball bat swing at sharks flying through the air.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 27th, 2019, 9:38 pm

3eyes wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 8:53 pm
I don't plan to gorge on the stuff, or watch anything that isn't a double. (btw, what about the Bad movies official list? Not all the titles qualify, but some definitely do. Just wishsICM would let you filter by rating.)
You got me curious, so I checked. Coincidentally, there are exactly 100 films on the BadMovies list eligible for this challenge. Here they are:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls049447067/

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 28th, 2019, 1:55 am

There's a very simple appeal. It's known as "so bad it's good"

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 28th, 2019, 1:57 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 6:30 pm
Well, I'm currently in the middle of a weird fascination with shark movies, so I'll have several of those to contribute.
I have a buddy who went through a similar period. He particularly recommended Blue Water, White Death (1971). Unfortunately, it's imdb rating is 7.3.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uh654

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 28th, 2019, 2:08 am

albajos wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 10:09 am
Low IMDb Rating Challenge
SpoilerShow
ImageImageImageImage

Goal
- Watch as many movies with IMDb ratings of 5.4 or lower as you can (or want) from July 1st, 2018 to July 31st, 2019.

Rules
- I just want to make it simple, so 60 minutes are the limit for everything- Anything shorter needs to be combined for points.
But you are free to combine TV with regular shorts.

- Post (year), and preferably original title.
- Post IMDB rating
- No adult titles, and please no NSFW pictures in the thread. I tend to check this on the bus. :circle: (If you really have to put it in a NSFW spoiler)
- The 5,4 rating limit is the rating at the time when you watched it. Not after you have voted. If it's in danger of raising and become uneligible, just post as soon as possible after you've seen it.

Fair play
- Remember this is a community event, so participating aren't only about listing up titles. If you post early this give the other participants suggestions to their own viewings. And brings the community closer together.
- If you're in the top 5 please post at least bi-daily (as this is vacation time, send a short PM to me if you get way ahead without posting, so I can give status updates to the others)

Official lists
None - there are some that partly fit the challenge though.
Other lists
Bottom 100 Ranked Movies (imdb)
Everything on imdb sorted by rating (imdb)
Movies on imdb sorted by rating (imdb)
SpoilerShow
Record
We have held this challenge once before. flavo5000 has the record with 142 points. albajos has the record with a monthly average of 2,73.

Bonus challenge
I will run the same bonus challenge as last time. Lowest possible average rating across all movies. At least 5 movies to enter the table.

RankParticipantPoints
1 Alan Smithee - 13

RankParticipantAv. ratingSum ratings
1 Alan Smithee 4,201313

(if you watch 8 shorts for one point, it will be the total average of those 8 that count in the bonus challenge. Not the 8 separate ones.
I've created an iCM version of the Bottom 100 list from IMDb. I'll keep it updated weekly (on Sunday).

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 28th, 2019, 11:39 pm

In, and like sol, I thank you for this part
in particular.

This will probably be my primary challenge, but I can't see myself playing to win - somebody's going to hit at least 150 I'm sure, maybe 200. My goal is just to beat my last year's number, which was 75, good enough at that time for 3rd place, my best placing until last month in any challenge.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 29th, 2019, 12:04 am

I'm in. I have some movies in my watchlist that have quite low ratings, but I still want to see them.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » June 29th, 2019, 2:40 am

Obgeoff wrote:

Low ratings don't necessarily mean they are bad movies,. Hell, a bad movie can be a lot of fun and become a favorite of yours (Troll 2 is this to me, I fucking love this movie but it's widely considered one of the worst ever)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 29th, 2019, 4:10 am

Obgeoff wrote:

I can't say that I particularly interested in watching tons of films rated between 1.0 and 3.9 on IMDb, but definitely with 4.0+/10 upwards, there are quite a few films that I like a more than IMDb score. I'm thinking of 70s and 80s B horror films in particular, but many comedies of that era too also tend to appeal to me more than the average IMDb punter. When I participated in this Challenge last year, I was more keen on finding films like that - movies that I had procrastinated due to a lowish IMDb score but which I suspected would appeal to me. And I found quite a few. This year, I'll probably use the Challenge more to knock off some of the Badmovies.org and Box Office titles, I think, since I'm not planning to concentrate my efforts here this year...
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » June 29th, 2019, 5:22 am

In for so many triples this month. Bad Dutch movies ftw

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » June 29th, 2019, 7:42 am

Question about imdb. Is there a way to filter Dutch movies with a low rating?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 29th, 2019, 7:51 am

jeroeno wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 7:42 am
Question about imdb. Is there a way to filter Dutch movies with a low rating?
Movies from Netherlands with a rating <=5.4. Note that that includes anything tagged as NL, which may include it as the 3rd, 4th, 5th,... country listed.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?user ... untries=nl

albajos

Post by albajos » June 29th, 2019, 7:55 am

Yes. (this is without TV and shorts)
Netherlands
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250
Belgium
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250
Luxembourg
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=100
(as max said: It's the host of the Benelux challenge that decides if all of these counts)
Last edited by albajos on June 29th, 2019, 8:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 29th, 2019, 7:58 am

Question from someone having spent 20+ minutes yelling at IMDB for returning the wrong results: Is there a way to combine those three countries into one result?

albajos

Post by albajos » June 29th, 2019, 7:59 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 7:58 am
Question from someone having spent 20+ minutes yelling at IMDB for returning the wrong results: Is there a way to combine those three countries into one result?
Not that I know of. You will only get one co-production between the three.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 29th, 2019, 6:34 pm

I'm not sure if I will participate this time. For 13 or 14 years, I did a similar challenge every November on the IMDb horror board and other websites after IMDb's message boards went belly up and I finally broke my addiction to that last November (when I was competing in three challenges every month here) and I'm still not sure if I want to reawaken the beast. My views on "bad movies' are very similar to what Vincent Price expressed in a post above - I love far too many of them. Regardless of whether I participate, here's my list of favorites gleaned from 13 years of dedicated turkey watching:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076761273/

:cheers:

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 29th, 2019, 10:45 pm

I watch a ton of bad movies pretty much every month (I thrive off them!) so I'm sure I'll end up logging some in here, intentional or not.

Also, albajos, just curious, why no adult titles? I had actually considered watching some of the Vinegar Syndrome blu-rays I've had stockpiled but this limitation puts a crimp in it. I get not watching something like @nal Angels VXII or something but there are movies like The Sinful Dwarf, Blue Money and a lot of Jess Franco movies that have significant storylines with a handful of hardcore inserts to play to the grindhouse crowds. It seems like those should be allowed. Maybe allow them if the movie has more than only an "Adult" tag on IMDB?

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 29th, 2019, 11:15 pm

Thanks for hosting, albajos! I'll hope to watch a few for this challenge.

A few points as regards guidelines and parameters:

I imagine that there are quite a lot of programmer titles that clock in at 55 to 60 minutes and are rated at or below 5.4 on IMDb. I don't think it makes a whole deal of sense to raise the bar from 40 to 60 minutes and potentially treat a 55-minute film as a short.

I'm with flavo when it comes to adult titles. I think they should be allowed, as long as they meet the other requirements.
That's all, folks!

albajos

Post by albajos » June 30th, 2019, 7:38 am

I have no interest in tracking them. So then you can forget about the stats. Also as they are hidden in imdb it simply takes time to dig them up. Adult tropes also lead to people downvoting adult simply because they're adult, not because whatever other qualities they might/might not have.
There are still 70 000 movies to choose from. You'll be fine.

For length, I'm not redefining shorts in any regard. You just need at least 1 hour to get a point in this challenge. How you combine those minutes is up to you.
(The definition of shorts are different in almost all countries anyway. In France it's 58 minutes, in Norway 60.)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 30th, 2019, 8:29 am

albajos wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 7:38 am
I have no interest in tracking them. So then you can forget about the stats. Also as they are hidden in imdb it simply takes time to dig them up. Adult tropes also lead to people downvoting adult simply because they're adult, not because whatever other qualities they might/might not have.
There are still 70 000 movies to choose from. You'll be fine.

For length, I'm not redefining shorts in any regard. You just need at least 1 hour to get a point in this challenge. How you combine those minutes is up to you.
(The definition of shorts are different in almost all countries anyway. In France it's 58 minutes, in Norway 60.)
Yes, and thanks for those points. I suppose my surprise was at the two changes just for this challenge, when it could arguably be the case that bottom-rung programmers and exploitative fare that carries the 'adult' tag might fit more into this challenge than many others being run throughout the year.

Sorry, I'm probably just coming across as argumentative. The changes just caught my eye and both struck me as a little surprising and unnecessary.
That's all, folks!

albajos

Post by albajos » June 30th, 2019, 10:18 am

If I'm not mistaken this challenge starts about now in Oceania.

As we tend to watch a lot of different movies in this challenge I will continue to update the list from year rather to make a new. (I have 10/30 days so far, so should be done in a few days)
So everything in https://www.imdb.com/list/ls049421860/ are eligible.
This list can also be sorted by genre. So far there is 12 Mystery and 49 Thriller.

-------

As you also know there is something called vote stuffing on imdb.
Fake accounts upvoting movies help, sometimes their own, movies.

One example is The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure (2012) which was the bottom 100 not long ago.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520498/ratings
Obviously something is not correct here. If you can find other movies like this I will allow them, but the rating will not count towards the bonus challenge as it's hard to calculate. But they have to be as obvious as Oogieloves. Ask first, but as long as every square is below 5.5 except for the all votes it's probably ok.

Because of vote stuffing there are different ratings in the bottom 100 than on the movie pages, so if some movie has managed to get into the bottom 100 that is the rating you should use in the challenge. Anything over 10,000 votes and below 4,2 rating should be there.

Have a fun challenge, and you're my favorite customer

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » June 30th, 2019, 10:09 pm

I'm in on this!

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » July 1st, 2019, 6:03 am

1. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning-1985: 8/10 4.8

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » July 1st, 2019, 10:09 am

1. Amber Alert (2012) - 4.6 [double]
I think, to the contrary of many, that the acting was great, but the constant arguments and the fact, that most of the film involves the characters driving around, don't allow for much suspense to arise.
SpoilerShow
1. Amber Alert (2012) - 4.6

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 1st, 2019, 12:38 pm

1. One body too many (84) - double [5.3]
print faded or something, not easy to see in places. Tongue-in-cheek riff on bunch-of-people-stuck-in-a-mansion plot, with Jack Haley in mufti and Bela Lugosi as the butler.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 1st, 2019, 2:49 pm

1. The Nun (2018) 5.4 on IMDb

Apparently a spin-off of the second Conjuring movie (which I've not seen), this works okay on its own, though the story is not that great, consisting more of boo-moment jump scares than anything else. The biggest plus is the setting with plenty of dark crevices and hidden passageways at the nunnery that bring to mind The Name of the Rose; the titular evil nun is pretty creepy too, though whenever she opens her mouth, the resemblance to Pennywise is distracting. All in all, not as worthless as the low IMDb rating might suggest, but then again my expectations were super-low going in.
Image Image Image