Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 18th), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Hands on a Hardbody: The Documentary, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Banned Films Challenge

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 3rd, 2019, 2:47 am

Decided to take a brief respite from Video Nasties to take in a political ban...
5. Kuhle Wampe oder: Wem gehört die Welt? (1932)
Where? Germany
Why? Was banned for being politically and religiously inflammatory initially. It managed to get a quick gasp of air before the ban hammer came down on it again once the Nazis came into power a few months after its initial ban had been lifted.

6. Rosso sangue (1981) a.k.a. Absurd
Where? UK & West Germany
Why? Video Nasty Section 1: A crazy dude brutally murders several people in prolonged gore sequences including a woman getting a drill through the skull, a guy's head getting sawed in half with a bandsaw, a woman getting her head shoved in an oven, a woman stabbed in the head with an axe, a guy getting stabbed in the eyes (sensing a "head"-related theme here?) and naturally it's capped off with a very bloody decapitation. Actually pretty gruesome and reminiscent of Lucio Fulci gore effects.
I've Got a SPLITTING Headache...har har harShow
7. Les démons (1973)
Where? UK, Chile
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: I'm gonna guess it ended up on the list due to all the rampant nunsplloitation lesbianism and nudity and general effrontery to religion on display.
Oh Jess Franco... You're So Cheeky...Show
8. Graduation Day (1981)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: One of the tamest video nasties actually. Some standard slasher killings with some mediocre to poor effects and not much blood in general. In fact, not only was it eventually reclassified, it's uncut version was even lowered to a BBFC 15 Classification, which is similar to US's PG-13. So yea, no idea why this one's here.
oh no...so graphic and scary you guys...Show
9. Des diamants pour l'enfer (1975) a.k.a. Women Behind Bars
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 2: Given the BBFC's distate for female violence, I'd say it's most likely due to the two major torture sequences featuring whipping and vaginal electrocution. Jess Franco sure knows how to make 'em... poorly...
:(Show

Getting the Banned Back TogetherShow
1. Love Camp 7 (1969)
2. L'ultima orgia del III Reich (1977) a.k.a. Gestapo's Last Orgy
3. The Forgotten (1973) a.k.a. Don't Look in the Basement
4. Mondo cannibale (1980) a.k.a. White Cannibal Queen a.k.a. Cannibals
6. Rosso sangue (1981)
7. Les démons (1973)
8. Graduation Day (1981)
9. Des diamants pour l'enfer (1975)

vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer » June 3rd, 2019, 8:39 am

1. The Slayer (J.S. Cardone, 1982) UK - Video Nasty
2. Night of the Living Dead (George A. Romero, 1968) UK - Video Nasty
3. Dawn of the Dead (George A. Romero, 1978) UK - Video Nasty
4. Day of the Dead (George A. Romero, 1985) Germany - glorification of violence

albajos

Post by albajos » June 3rd, 2019, 9:30 am

02. Belle of the Nineties (1934) USA 48 checks

Banned in: Norway (even with cuts)
Reason: Mae West
Really? All movies of West was infamous for fronting lewd behaviour, here she's even a nightclub entertainer, and almost all her lines sound like flirting. Her movies had to be recut in several states in the US for even be able to be shown. For this movie the whole ending scene had to be reshot for the New York premiere. It was of course condemned by the Legion of Decency as many other pre-code movies.

The title was originally It Ain't No Sin. But the censors would not allow it. The original story also had prostitution, violence and people living together without being married which had to be cut/rewritten.
Main reasonShow
Period: 1934 to unknown.
The ban wasn't really lifted, but it would probably be ok to show in the 50s at the earliest.
"Fun" fact: 50 parrots were trained to shout the original title of "It Ain't No Sin". The parrots were subsequently released in the jungles of South America, still repeating "it ain't no sin" over and over again.

International reaction to ban:
USA: With the Legion of Decency lobbying their views on pre-code, and other countries outright banning them it brought us one step closer to Hays' Code.

Also banned in: Italy

---

Another list for the OP: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/125+ ... s/ezhevod/
which is based on this book: https://books.google.ru/books/about/For ... 56QgAACAAJ

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am

Banned of OutsidersShow
1. The Evil Dead (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
2. The Funhouse (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
3. Firecracker (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

4. Inseminoid (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to sexual/horror elements

Impregnated by an alien creature while exploring a foreign planet, an astronaut goes mad and murders her colleagues in this British take on Ridley Scott's Alien. While the more economical budget shines through, the sets are surprisingly innovative. The special effects are pretty decent too with a great creature design, though we do not see too much of the aliens - no doubt due to budget constraints. I liked the moody synthesizer score too.

Bonus Challenge: Why the film was banned:
SpoilerShow
An alien inserts his glass tube penis between a young woman's legs and his green colour sperm creeps up the tube into her crotch.

The same woman later gives birth to an alien baby, which we see wriggle out from in between her legs.

Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » June 3rd, 2019, 11:26 am

03. Jing wu men (1972) aka Fist of Fury / The Chinese Connection Hong Kong 6 official lists 2 120 checks

Banned in: Norway
Reason: Excessive punching
Main reasonShow
Period: 1987-2004
Not shown in cinemas. It was released on video in 1982, but wthe new formed MPAA for videos banned it in 1987. It was released again later in the 80s with cuts, but the uncut version was probably not commercially availble before 2004 together with a lot of other titles. (Or in the sometime in the 90s when the ban on Enter the Dragon was lifted)

In the 80s the MPAA was terrified of copycats. Many started with karate after The Karate Kid and some made ninja stars at home. Martial arts are always easier to copy than any Schwarenegger movie. So the MPAA was always careful with allowing these. None would get anything lower than a 18-year age rating. Very many Bruce Lee movies got banned before this one, so the bar was rather low to begin with.

It was banned at the same time as f.ex. Game of Death.

The things that probably tipped this over to ban is the scene that involves a giant circular saw, people bringing knives to a fist fight, dead child. (2 scenes could easily be edited out in the cut version)

Because of the movie's racial content (not exactly positive to Japan) and personal disagreements, Bruce Lee quit working with Writer and Director Wei Lo after this movie.

Also banned in: Finland
Last edited by albajos on June 3rd, 2019, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 3rd, 2019, 4:47 pm

You are NOT allowed to see my listShow
1. The Boogey Man (1980) [video nasty]
2. Cairo Station (1958)
3. Orgy of the Dead (1965)
Banned in Finland. Presumably because of nudity, possibly because Finland didn't want to be associated with an Ed Wood-written film.

This was my first film I've knowingly watched that was classified as a "nudie cutie." I guess it was nice to see nudity that wasn't hyper-sexualized or included in some rape scene. But it was literally just a film of topless women dancing, with no discernible plot. The little dialogue there was CLEARLY written by Ed Wood, and delivered by someone who can't act, but fortunately couldn't memorize lines either, so he had to read them off cue cards. But the worst part of this is that it was restored from a pristine 35mm print, and delivered via MUbI - with so many great films needing restoration and even more lost films out there, THIS is the one that got restored. :facepalm:

albajos

Post by albajos » June 3rd, 2019, 5:28 pm

I still don't believe that it was banned.

What's your source?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 3rd, 2019, 5:33 pm

albajos wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 5:28 pm

What's your source?
IMDB - was trying to confirm it, but didn't find anything one way or the other...

albajos

Post by albajos » June 3rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 5:33 pm
albajos wrote:

What's your source?
IMDB - was trying to confirm it, but didn't find anything one way or the other...
I see Wild Gals of the Naked West (1962) also are on the list. Which is basically the same thing but set in the west.

Maybe the finnish film board simply were pro-active. Banning stuff they knew about even if they didn't have a distibutor. Because none of these movies were usually shown outside of the US usually.

Maybe it was just a Quality issue. There is a lot of B-movies "banned" as well. So they just want to keep there cinemas showing the best movies?
The ones banned in 64-66 https://www.imdb.com/search/title?certi ... f_=adv_nxt Way too many as opposed to other less liberal countries (Norway - and we only banned spaghetti westerns in the 60s).

(I did write about Ed Wood when I studied film. It was har enough for him to get his film shown in the US. Anything abroad was never on the table, so it was not something that would ever happen. That's like saying it would been banned in Samoa as well because of the nudity. But noone never tried to import it there either. Explotation movies was after all banned from mainstream cinemas all over the world, including the US. And when there is no other cinema option, they don't get imported.)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 3rd, 2019, 7:26 pm

1. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960) [Rewatch] 8>8+
Banned in Spain under the regime of Francisco Franco (after the film was condemned by the Vatican and until Franco's death in 1975).
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » June 3rd, 2019, 9:17 pm

2. The Beast in Heat-1977: 4/10 Video Nasty: Banned in UK due to it being your typical Naziploitation flick which means gore, nudity and rape although it's true crime is being boring as shit.
SpoilerShow
1. Absurd-1981: 6/10 Video Nasty: Banned in UK I assume due to the violence and gore

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 3rd, 2019, 10:23 pm

albajos wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 5:51 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 5:33 pm
albajos wrote:

What's your source?
I see Wild Gals of the Naked West (1962) also are on the list. Which is basically the same thing but set in the west.

Maybe the finnish film board simply were pro-active. Banning stuff they knew about even if they didn't have a distibutor. Because none of these movies were usually shown outside of the US usually.

Maybe it was just a Quality issue. There is a lot of B-movies "banned" as well. So they just want to keep there cinemas showing the best movies?
The ones banned in 64-66 https://www.imdb.com/search/title?certi ... f_=adv_nxt Way too many as opposed to other less liberal countries (Norway - and we only banned spaghetti westerns in the 60s).

(I did write about Ed Wood when I studied film. It was har enough for him to get his film shown in the US. Anything abroad was never on the table, so it was not something that would ever happen. That's like saying it would been banned in Samoa as well because of the nudity. But noone never tried to import it there either. Explotation movies was after all banned from mainstream cinemas all over the world, including the US. And when there is no other cinema option, they don't get imported.)
I think this is a valid argument, especially with IMDB listing over a thousand movies falling into a similar bucket. Maxwelldeux, I'll still allow Orgy of the Dead but I'd say try to avoid any others this month if they are only listed as banned on the IMDB certification section and nowhere else.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 4th, 2019, 1:36 am

flavo5000 wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 10:23 pm
I think this is a valid argument, especially with IMDB listing over a thousand movies falling into a similar bucket. Maxwelldeux, I'll still allow Orgy of the Dead but I'd say try to avoid any others this month if they are only listed as banned on the IMDB certification section and nowhere else.
Fair enough - only brought this up because it popped up on MUBI. But will do. :thumbsup:

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » June 4th, 2019, 1:42 am

In! Thank you for hosting, flavo5000. I confess I wasn't particularly excited about this challenge but you made the whole thing very, very inviteful with all the bonuses and presentation; if I wasn't so invested in the the other two challenges I would dedicate more time to this one! I feel at home amongst the banned!! :cheers:

Banned in/from Czechoslovakia,

1. Stríbrný vítr (Silvery Wind, Václav Krska, 1954-56) 10/10 (Banned in Czechoslovakia)

(...)stopped by censorship in 1954 and allowed on the screens only two years later due to a bold scene of naked junior high school students bathing in the river; this scene was the reason why the film was halted in 1954 by the communist authorities. Krška unsuccessfully tried to learn the reasons why the film was not allowed to screen. When at a social occasion the director asked the then Minister of Culture Ladislav Štoll about it, the minister’s wife replied for him: “Me and other [female] comrades saw it, and we said yuck, yuck, yuck!” (from Peter Hames book "The Czechoslovak New Wave" & other sources)
skinny dipping in Czechoslovakia in the 50s!Show
This is the best I could find from the notorious sequence that caused such a furor amongst the ministers' wivesImage

2. Vyssí princip (Higher Principle, Jirí Krejcík, 1960) 10/10 (Wikipedia List - Banned temporarily in West Germany, for reasons of being "anti-German")
3. Hra o jablko (The Apple Game, Vera Chytilová, 1977) 7.5/10 (Wikipedia List - Banned in Soviet Union (and not Czechoslovakia as Wikipedia states), for reasons of being "too heavy-stuff", which, according to an interview with director Chytilová, meant that Soviet men would be distressed seeing women giving chilbirth and breastfeeding!!!)
4. Ja milujem, ty milujes (I Love, You Love, Dusan Hanák, 1980-89) 9/10 (Banned in Czechoslovakia; according to IMDb - "filmed back in 1980 but the communist censors prevented it from being officially premiered for the next 9 years. They deemed it as an "ugly movie about ugly people and too depressing for the viewers")

Video Nasties - Campus slashers/school killers,

All Banned in UK,

5. Night School (Ken Hughes, 1981) 6/10
6. Final Exam (Jimmy Huston, 1981) 5/10
7. Graduation Day (Herb Freed, 1981) 3/10
8. The Dorm That Dripped Blood (Stephen Carpenter & Jeffrey Obrow, 1982) 4.5/10

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 4th, 2019, 2:33 am

1. Horí, má panenko / Fireman’s ball (Cz 67) - double (rewatch)
Banned in: Czechoslovakia
Reason: making fun of Communist system
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » June 4th, 2019, 4:31 am

09. Ovoce stromu rajských jíme (1970) (Banned by the Czech Communist government for its shocking content. Its director, Vera Chytilová, was forbidden from making new films for eight years)
10. Matka Królów (1987) (Poland, Banned under the Communist regime without even being released for its political criticism)

albajos

Post by albajos » June 4th, 2019, 10:35 am

04. 491 (1964) Sweden 36 checks

Reason: Homosexuality
Main reasonShow

The subtitle reads: There's nothing dirty about this
Period: 1964-1972
Homosexuality (between men) was forbidden until 1972 in Norway. When that law was lifted the movie was released but in a cut verision as there are also some other questionable scenes in it. (After all it's directed by the same director who did Jag är nyfiken / I Am Curious, so he's not exactly a stranger to the banhammer.

The movie also struggled getting released in Sweden. It was finally rated X with cuts. Swedish German Shepherd Club also complained... (that sceme is cut everywhere, even in 2019)

It's a social experiment. Basically Big Brother, where some boys (some with mental issues) are picked to live together in an apartment supervised by social workers. It just becomes more and more extreme as one would expect.

This movie is actually the reason why the swedish Christian Democratic Party was founded.

Also banned in: Sweden (released later with cuts, rated X), Malaysia (released later with cuts)

Print the banner on the Dot MatrixShow
01. Life of Brian (1979) UK 19 official lists 55 876 checks [rewatch]
03. Jing wu men (1972) aka Fist of Fury / The Chinese Connection Hong Kong 6 official lists 2 120 checks

!seen 4
Last edited by albajos on June 4th, 2019, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm

jdidaco wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:42 am
In! Thank you for hosting, flavo5000. I confess I wasn't particularly excited about this challenge but you made the whole thing very, very inviteful with all the bonuses and presentation; if I wasn't so invested in the the other two challenges I would dedicate more time to this one! I feel at home amongst the banned!! :cheers:
Thanks and welcome to the challenge! My goal with this one was to make it fun and interesting but also put the actual "Challenge" back in challenge. I feel like we've had a lot of these challenges where there are thousands and thousands of movies eligible for it, so this one was intentionally a little more limited in scope. The Bonus Challenges also add a bit of a gamification to it.

Btw, the OP has been updated again (I try to keep it updated about once a day). Please check and make sure I have your score correct for the main and bonus challenges. It's been super interesting so far!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 4th, 2019, 12:35 pm

albajos wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 9:30 am

"Fun" fact: 50 parrots were trained to shout the original title of "It Ain't No Sin". The parrots were subsequently released in the jungles of South America, still repeating "it ain't no sin" over and over again.
This seriously cracked me up :lol:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 4th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Banned of OutsidersShow
4. Inseminoid (1981) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

5. Nightbeast (1982) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to extreme violence

The low budget is obvious here with lots of poor outer space special effects, but the creature design is excellent and looks genuinely creepy when illuminated by electricity at a couple of points. Alas, the alien is absent from significant stretches as focus turns to the cops struggling to evacuate their town without creating hysteria and as focus turns to a lifeless romance set to corny music late in the piece. The gore does not disappoint though.

SpoilerShow
An alien rips the guts out from a male victim...

...who we then see bleed to death for several seconds as the camera fixates on his guts falling out of his body

Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 4th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Hey! I just added an extra special co-operative Bonus Challenge! Let's see if we can finish the Video Nasty list! I think we're off to a good start. We're at Day 4 and have watched 27 so far.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 4th, 2019, 6:13 pm

2. Cairo Station (1958)
4. The Driller Killer (1979) [video nasty]
Banned in the UK for violence. This was boring. If you're into music and/or punk aesthetics, it might be more up your alley - alas, I don't particularly care for either, so this fell flat for me. Boring boring boring, someone gets killed with a drill. Boring boring, random shower scene with two women, boring boring, a band performs, boring, someone gets killed with a drill. Maybe I should have spoilered that... :whistling:

albajos

Post by albajos » June 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Well, without it we wouldn't get stuff like this

(Slumber Party Massacre II)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 4th, 2019, 7:22 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:13 pm
2. Cairo Station (1958)
Banned in the UK for violence. This was boring. If you're into music and/or punk aesthetics, it might be more up your alley - alas, I don't particularly care for either, so this fell flat for me. Boring boring boring, someone gets killed with a drill. Boring boring, random shower scene with two women, boring boring, a band performs, boring, someone gets killed with a drill. Maybe I should have spoilered that... :whistling:
I can perfectly understand why you didn't care for this one, but I personally love it. I love the jam sequence that goes on and on, and I love the painting that's featured. This film gives a good vibe of late 70s, lower Manhattan... love the pizza-wolfing scene too, ha ha.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 4th, 2019, 9:02 pm

peeptoad wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:22 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:13 pm
2. Cairo Station (1958)
I can perfectly understand why you didn't care for this one, but I personally love it. I love the jam sequence that goes on and on, and I love the painting that's featured. This film gives a good vibe of late 70s, lower Manhattan... love the pizza-wolfing scene too, ha ha.
At first I thought it was quintessential 1980s... but it it seemed really disco-y. When I looked at the year, 1979 made a lot of sense. :P

But yeah - the jam sequence made me roll my eyes. Diff'rent stroke for diff'rent folks... :cheers:

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 5th, 2019, 2:50 am

10. Wrong Way (1972)
Where? UK, Iceland
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Geez, I mean. The movie is basically nothing but rape scenes that seem to go on forever. Far more tasteless than I Spit on Your Grave. Just a horrible movie altogether...

11. Dawn of the Mummy (1981)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Mostly gore caused by the zombie slave servants of the mummy. Very Fulci-esque in its style.

Also who seriously would think its a good idea to have a photo shoot in the desert in some old ruins? So stupid...
They've gone and spoiled their dinnerShow
12. Frozen Scream (1975)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 2: This ultra low budget weird crapfest offers up some really unconvincing gore the BBFC apparently saw fit to deem inappropriate.
Watch out for those frozen zombies...Show
13. Lager SSadis Kastrat Kommandantur (1976) a.k.a. SS Experiment Love Camp
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 1: I mean... It's yet another Nazi torture movie.

14. Apocalypse domani (1980) a.k.a. Cannibal Apolcaypse a.k.a. Invasion of the Flesh Eaters
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 1: It's a cannibal movie so naturally it features a healthy dose of gore sequences. Honestly I thought this one was actually pretty good. Much different vibe than the typical cannibal movie. More of a PTSD-driven flesh eating combined with a virus more akin to a zombie movie.
The spoilers of warShow
15. Superstition (1982)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: This solid evil witch flick features some entertainingly creative death sequences like a rogue saw blade through the chest and an exploding head in the microwave.
He's only half a man...Show
16. Grimms Märchen von lüsternen Pärchen (1969) a.k.a. Grimm's Fairy Tales for Adults a.k.a. The New Adventures of Snow White
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Fairy Tale Sexy Time. It's in the title. It's also really stupid. Possibly offensively so?

17. The Aftermath (1982)
Where? UK
Why? Video Nasty Section 3: Contains a few gory death scenes including a guy's head exploding from a shotgun blast right at the beginning and a particularly vicious death by knife among others.

While this one is an exceedingly bargain basement production, it's actually not bad if you're into post-nuke flicks or are a fan of Sid Haig who's in prime sleazebag mode here.

Getting the Banned Back TogetherShow
1. Love Camp 7 (1969)
2. L'ultima orgia del III Reich (1977) a.k.a. Gestapo's Last Orgy
3. The Forgotten (1973) a.k.a. Don't Look in the Basement
4. Mondo cannibale (1980) a.k.a. White Cannibal Queen a.k.a. Cannibals
6. Rosso sangue (1981)
7. Les démons (1973)
8. Graduation Day (1981)
9. Des diamants pour l'enfer (1975)
10. Wrong Way (1972)
11. Dawn of the Mummy (1981)
12. Frozen Scream (1975)
13. Lager SSadis Kastrat Kommandantur (1976)
14. Apocalypse domani (1980)
15. Superstition (1982)
16. Grimms Märchen von lüsternen Pärchen (1969)
17. The Aftermath (1982)

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » June 5th, 2019, 3:25 am

11. Smutecní slavnost (1969) (Czechoslovakia, Banned by the Czech Communist government)
12. Stríbrný vítr (1954) (Czechoslovakia, banned for a scene with bathing youngsters, see jdidaco's post)

albajos

Post by albajos » June 5th, 2019, 5:42 am

05. Nekromantik (1987) West Germany 1 official list 670 checks

Reason: Necrophilia
Main reasonShow
Period: 1987-still banned
Even if it's banned it's just for public viewing. It's possible for a customer to go to our biggest movie store any given day and buy the UK import edition.

Just the term necrophilia in itself isn't forbidden though. The movie Kissed (1996) ran normally in cinemas a few years later.

So this is probably a sum of many other questionable scenes. Animal cruelty, gore, explicit nudity, suicide

Also banned in: Finland, Iceland, Malaysia, Singapore, the sequel also stopped the sales of the first movie in Germany temporary

!seen 5

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 5th, 2019, 7:55 am

2. Cairo Station (1958)
5. Island of Death (1976) [video nasty]
Video Nasty, banned in UK for everything. Everything. Nudity, homosexuality, violence, rape, bestiality, etc. At least the director was honest - the top IMDB trivia comment is basically "I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre was making a bunch of money, so I made a movie more violent and perverse to make even more money." No real plot to speak of, but the sort of film you'll need eyebleach for.
A tame screenshot of the ickiest sceneShow

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » June 5th, 2019, 10:10 am

01. No profanar el sueño de los muertos, by Jorge Grau (1974) 7,5/10 - Video Nasty

A frightening movie, with moody sound effects and scary zombies.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 5th, 2019, 10:48 am

Banned of OutsidersShow
5. Nightbeast (1982) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

6. Mausoleum (1983) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to extreme violence

Possessed by a demon in childhood after entering a cursed graveyard mausoleum, a young woman suddenly embarks on a seduction and murder spree in this bizarre film. It is never explained why the demon laid dormant in her for over ten years or what started the killing spree. The film looks absolutely divine though with glowing multicoloured neon lights inside (see above) and some very graphic chest erupting and impalement special effects.

SpoilerShow
A man in a shopping mall is levitated through the air by a possessed woman before being dropped two levels onto an unidentified spike that promptly impales him.

We also see a woman's chest rip open as she is levitated through the air with a graphic closeup on the oozing wound.
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » June 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm

06. To mistenkelige personer (1950) Norway 62 checks [rewatch - 2nd. Saw it June 4th last year so one day too late now] [double]

Reason: True crime, protection of those involved
Main reasonShow
Period: 1954-1998 (50-54 in court)
Based on an actual crime case from 1926, and the book written by a journalist that covered the case. The book was not controversial in 1933, but in 1950 one of the criminals that was still alive had finished his sentence and was able to react to the movie and took it all the way to the supreme court. The court judged in his favor in 1954 (a long process) and the movie was never in cinemas. In 1998 it was finally shown at a cinemateque. It's now available for streaming from the norwegian film institute.

Also banned in: nowhere. It never left the vault.

05. Nekromantik (1987) West Germany 1 official list 670 checks

!seen 6
Last edited by albajos on June 5th, 2019, 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 5th, 2019, 1:07 pm

bonus 1. video nasty bonus 2. Image
_____________________________________________________________________________________

3. Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) Image banned in Italy for explicit sex scenes and violence, X-rated Stateside, et al...
f**k life... in the gall bladder!Show
fight the power! aka the running totalShow
1. Fight for Your Life (1977) Image
2. El caníbal (1980) Devil Hunter Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 5th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Banned of OutsidersShow
5. Nightbeast (1982) Video Nasty; banned in the UK
6. Mausoleum (1983) Video Nasty; banned in the UK

7. Love Camp 7 (1969) Video Nasty; banned in the UK due to "eroticised depictions of sexual violence" (source)

This film is not quite as shocking as reputation would have it, but it is not for the squeamish either with much sexual assault and public humiliation. As a narrative, the movie suffers from a poorly acted wrap-around segment that adds nothing to the plot, but the basic story is not half-bad with a well-developed Nazi soldier character who comes to question his indoctrination while working at the camp, and a pre-Saló look at power abuse.

Two reasonably 'Safe for Work' (no nudity) imagesShow
Female prisoner is hung by her hands from the roof of her cell with a pointed board placed in a not-so-comfortable position under her legs.

Female prisoner is humiliated by being forced to lick the boots of a Nazi officer.

Image Image Image

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm

1. L'ultimo treno della notte 1975 — a.k.a. Last Stop on the Night Train, in 1 top list 2/10

My first and probably my last film for this challenge.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 5th, 2019, 6:05 pm

2. Carnival in Flanders / La kermesse héroïque (Jacques Feyder, 1935) 7
Banned in Nazi-occupied Belgium by Joseph Goebbels because of its pacifist themes.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » June 5th, 2019, 8:48 pm

3. Bloody Moon-1981: 8/10 Video Nasty: Banned in UK due to gore and violence and rape/incestuous stuff.
SpoilerShow
1. Absurd-1981: 6/10 Video Nasty: Banned in UK I assume due to the violence and gore
2. The Beast in Heat-1977: 4/10 Video Nasty: Banned in UK due to it being your typical Naziploitation flick which means gore, nudity and rape although it's true crime is being boring as shit.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » June 5th, 2019, 10:27 pm

I'm entering this challenge, starting off with a few banned shorts.

1. Shorts [Total time = 63 mins.]

a. Zéro de conduite: Jeunes diables au collège / Zero for Conduct (Vigo, 1933) [44 mins.]
Banned in France, 1933-45.
Reason: The stated reasons were for being “anti-French” and its “praise of indiscipline.” The film's anarchist and anti-authoritarian subtext was the real reason
Bonus Challenge: Ban reason (Safe for Work)Show

This is one of the clearest examples of the film's anti-authoritarianism, as the teachers and local dignitaries (the headmaster cast as a dwarf, and most of the dignitaries just dummies) are pelted with books by the children.
A bit underwhelming considering its influence -- If... did a similar plot a lot better -- but it does have many interesting aspects to it, and it's certainly a good short even divorced from its historical context.

b. Red Hot Mamma (Fleischer, 1934) [7 mins.]
Banned in UK, 1934.
Reason: Blasphemy
Bonus Challenge: Ban reason (Content: Silly cartoon demons)Show

Any shots of the humourous depection of Hell would count. Here are some demons dancing with Betty.
An enjoyable Betty Boop short where she dreams about going to Hell. Rejected by the BBFC in 1934 and never resubmitted, so I suppose this is still technically illegal in the UK.

c. Peppa Pig: Mr Skinny Legs (Baker-Astley, 2006) [5 mins.]
Banned in Australia, 2012.
Reason: Dangerous pro-spider propaganda
Bonus Challenge: Ban reason (Content: Cartoon spider)Show

Peppa Pig and her brother befriending and handling the spider is what got this banned.
This Peppa Pig episode has the message that spiders can't hurt you and it's fun to play with them. That's an OK message for the UK (though we do have some spiders that can give a nasty bite), but a potentially lethal one for children in other countries, particularly Australia, where this episode was banned.

d. All This and Rabbit Stew (Avery, 1941) [7 mins.]
Withdrawn by distributor, 1968. (though it lapsed into the public domain in 1969)
Reason: Racism
Bonus Challenge: Ban reason (Content: Racist caricature)Show
One of the Censored Eleven, this is a typical Bugs Bunny plot, but for some reason, the Elmer Fudd has been replaced in the role of hunter by a racist caricature of a black man, and several of the jokes revolve around racist stereotypes.

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » June 6th, 2019, 5:32 am

Indecents Metzger & Sarno,

"Only a woman can know what another woman really needs. Show her, Tania. FINISH HER, Tania!" (Sapphic initiation, by Sarno)

9. Carmen, Baby (Radley Metzger, 1967) 7.5/10 (Banned in Australia for "violence and indecency")
10. Daddy, Darling (Joseph W. Sarno, 1970) 7/10 (Banned in UK for "indecency")
The masters' indecenciesShow

Uta Levka as a modern Carmen,

Helli Louise in bed with... Daddy????

Video Nasties - A couple of boxes,

Banned in UK

11. The Toy Box (Ronald Víctor García, 1971) 4/10
12. The Toolbox Murders (Dennis Donnelly, 1978) 5/10
The toys inside the boxesShow

The Toy Box,

The Toolbox Murders,

SpoilerShow
1. Stríbrný vítr (Silvery Wind, Václav Krska, 1954-56) 10/10