Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, January nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

The Official Iran Challenge - May 2019

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Re: The Official Iran Challenge - May 2019

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 24th, 2019, 5:40 pm

:cheers: Bashu is actually a contender for my favorite Iranian film.. Well, outside Children of Heaven.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 24th, 2019, 7:33 pm

1.The Salesman / Forushande (Asghar Farhadi, 2016) 7-
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » May 24th, 2019, 9:59 pm

25. Mashgh-e Shab / Homework (1989)
26. Safar be Chazabeh / Journey to Chazzabeh (1995)
27. Bashu, gharibeye koochak / Bashu, the Little Stranger (1989)
28. Aab, baad, khaak / Water, Wind, Dust (1989)
29. Mosaferan / Travellers (1991)
30. Nargess (1992)
31. Ranandeh va roobah / The Trucker and the Fox (2013)
SpoilerShow
1. Shorts:
An shab ke barun amad (1967) 35min
P mesle pelican (1972) 27min
2. Dayereh / The Circle (2000)
3. Zendegi va digar hich / Life, and Nothing More... (1992)
4. Mogholha / The Mongols (1973)
5. Bad ma ra khahad bord / The Wind Will Carry Us (1999)
6. Gilane (2004)
7. Bicycleran / The Cyclist (1987)
8. Leila (1997)
9. Rang-e khoda / The Color of Paradise (1999)
10. Zir-e poost-e shahr / Under the Skin of the City (2001)
11. Davandeh / The Runner (1984)
12. Marg Yazdgerd / Death of Yazdgerd (1982)
13. Banoo-Ye Ordibehesht / The May Lady (1998)
14. Dastforoush / The Peddler (1989)
15. Aramesh dar Hozur Deegaran/ Tranquility in the Presence of Others (1973)
16. Shabe ghuzi / Night of the Hunchback (1965)
17. Gheisar (1969)
18. Darbareye Elly / About Elly (2009) (l)
19. Shazdeh Ehtejab / Prince Ehtejab (1974)
20. Saz dahani / Harmonica (1974)
21. Shah-re ziba / Beautiful City (2004)
22. Dayereh mina / The Cycle (1977)
23. Niaz / The Need (1982)
24. Mohajer / The Immigrant (1989)
30. Nargess (1992)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 25th, 2019, 5:40 am

The Wind Will Carry UsShow
1. Under the Shadow (2016)
2. Fireworks Wednesday (2006)
3. Mossafer / Traveler (1974)
4. Offside (2006)
5. Homework (1989)
6. Fellow Citizen (1983)
7. The Salesman (2016)
8. The Silence (1998)
9. Caravans (1978)
10. Close-Up (1990)
11. The Past (2013)
12. About Elly... (2009)
13. The Blind Owl (1975)
14. A.B.C Africa (2001)

15. The Report (1977)

From the dislikeable (neglectful and abusive) protagonist to its downbeat worldview, this dialogue-heavy drama is one of Kiarostami's least typical films and less engaging than Kiarostami par - but its heart is in the right place. The project highlights the difficulties of getting ahead in the world and near impossibly of balancing family and work commitments when the latter is essential to support one's family. It is just a bit of an emotionally distanced affair. A young Shohreh Aghdashloo as the protagonist's wife is interesting though and the lead actor definitely makes the most of his cold character.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 25th, 2019, 6:14 am

30. Nassereddin Shah, Actor-e Cinema (1992)
31. Shazdeh Ehtejab (Prince Ehtejab) (1974)
32. Derakhte Golabi (The Pear Tree) (1998)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 25th, 2019, 3:05 pm

jdidaco wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 9:32 pm
You might have already found these, but in case you haven't,
OldAle1 wrote:a) Safar / Journey (Bahram Beizai, 1972)

Decided to watch this despite the lack of subs when I found out that it was essentially a kid's adventure piece and that the dialogue wasn't probably all that important. Well.. maybe.. I would suggest reading a short synopsis of this elsewhere that fills in the details, if you can find one (I'm still looking), but I do think this offers some rewards even without knowing exactly why the two boys - 9 or 10 year olds I guess - are running around the streets and outskirts of Tehran, who they're running from, or towards. Even in the pretty terrible print that I watched it has, like all of Beizai's films that I've seen, a powerful sense of drama and rhythm, and its feel for the variety of city life is palpable throughout. As limited as my experience with this was, I really enjoyed it and could have watched it go on for another hour, watching these kids explore bazaars and lumberyards and junkyards full of abandoned horse-drawn carriages, fighting with each other, arguing, making up, trying their luck as pickpockets, etc. I hope I don't have to wait forever for a decent copy but as with so many films this month I'm not holding my breath.
There's a complete description of the plot here (pg. 236-) - https://books.google.com.br/books?id=Gq ... lm&f=false -, followed by a critique. Very, very helpful guide to the city misadventures of these Bashu ancestors.
OldAle1 wrote:b) Arbaïn (Naser Taghvai, 1970)

Thanks to jd for mentioning this, I might not have gotten to it this month otherwise. A fascinating visual and aural experience, a strange ceremony - religious, the little IMDb description says but I honestly couldn't tell - most of which consists of a hundred or so shirtless guys arranged in rings around a singer, thumping their chests rhythmically with their right hands while holding onto the belt loop of the guy on their left. The singer was just wonderful, certainly it sounded like some kind of traditional religious music, and it didn't sound like Farsi to me either though I'm certainly no expert. There are also some nice shots of architecture, tile work, carpets, etc. No real audible spoken dialogue, so no subs, but it would have been nice to have more context to the nice images and sounds.
Even more helpful and elucidating: an extraordinarily informative and well-written essay on several ethnographic documentaries, including 'Arbaïn' with all its many mysteries unveiled - https://www.academia.edu/25254744/Chapt ... umentaries

Have fun!
thanks for those links I was already aware of the book in the first link, have it on my wishlist in fact but had never bothered to really look and see if it was readable online, so thanks, lots of help and probably will help with some other shorts I might watch down the line - I'm still not prepared to watch an unsubbed feature unless the visuals are much more important than narrative/dialogue. Didn't know about the second thing at all so will have to check that out.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 25th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Walnuts, Roses and PoetryShow

Day 1 - Genre films 1965/7

1. Shabe ghuzi / Night of the Hunchback (Farokh Ghafari, 1965)
2. Ganje qarun / Croesus' Treasure (Syamak Yasami, 1965)
3. Vampir, Zan-e khoon-asham / The Female Vampire (Mostafa Oskooyi, 1967)

Day 2 - Iranian noir, 1961

4. Faryade nimeshab / The Midnight Terror (Samuel Khachikian, 1961)

Day 3 - Going West; Going to Tehran 1968/70

5. Ed ora... raccomanda l'anima a Dio! / Mardaneh bekosh / Stranger Say Your Prayers / etc, etc (Demofilo Fidani, 1968)
6. Aghaye Halou / Mr. Naive (Dariush Mehrjui, 1970)

Day 4 - Kimiai and Naderi in the early 70s

7. Reza motori / Reza, the Motorcylist (Masud Kiimiai, 1970)
8. Dash akol (Masud Kimiai, 1971)
9. Saz Dahani / Harmonica (Amir Naderi, 1974)

Day 5 - Farmanara's historical fiction

10. Shazdeh Ehtejab / Prince Ehtejab (Bahman Farmanara, 1974)

Day 6 - three auteurs in the 70s

11. Postchi / The Postman (Dariush Mehrjui, 1972)
12. Gharibeh Va Meh / Stranger and the Fog (Bahram Beizai, 1976)
13. Dar Ghorbat / In der Fremde / Far From Home (Sohrab Shaheed Saless, 1975)

Day 7 - Aslani and Mehrjui, mid-70s

14. Shatranje bad / The Chess Game of the Wind (Mohammad Reza Aslani, 1976)
15. Dayereh mina / The Cycle (Dariush Mehrjui, 1977)

Day 8 - Before the Revolution

16. Baghé sanngui / The Garden of Stones (Parviz Kimiavi, 1976)
17. Karevanha / Caravans (James Fargo, 1978)
18. Sooteh-Delan / Desiderium (Ali Hatami, 1978)

Day 9 - 60s-70s shorts; Revolution

19. SHORTS 15 + 11 + 19 + 9 + 14 = 68 minutes

a) Tappe-haye Marlik / The Hills of Marlik (Ebrahim Golestan, 1963) (re-watch)
b) Ars Poetica (Khosrow Sinai, 1967)
c) Sardi Ahan / Cold Iron (Khosrow Sinai, 1969)
d) Aan ke khial baft, aan ke amal kard / The One Who Dreamt, the One Who Acted (Morteza Momayyez, 1971)
e) Zang-e Tafrih / The Breaktime (Abbas Kiarostami, 1972)

20. Baraye azadi / For Freedom (Hossein Torabi, 1979)

Day 10 - Revolution's Aftermath, Bureaucracy and Comedy

21. Jostoju / The Search (Amir Naderi, 1980)
22. Hamshahri / Fellow Citizen (Abbas Kiarostami, 1983)
23. Hajji Washington (Ali Hatami, 1983)

Day 11 - 1980s Obscurities

24. Khane-ye Ankaboot / The House of Spider (Alireza Davoudnejad, 1983)
25. Saman (Ahmad Nikazur, 1986)

Day 12 - Wacky Comedy from Dariush Mehrjui

26. Ejareh-Nesheenha / The Tenants (Dariush Mehrjui, 1987)

Day 13 - Late 80s - about films & crimes & kids

27. Shabah-e kazhdom / Spectre of the Scorpion (Kianoush Ayari, 1987)
28. Bibi chelchele / Granny Swallow (Kiumars Poorahmad, 1986)

Day 14 - Late 80s, Hemingway & kids - a 70s short detour

29. Nakhoda Khorshid / Captain Khorshid (Naser Taghvai, 1987)
30. SHORTS II 34 + 21 + 10 = 65 minutes

a) Safar / Journey (Bahram Beizai, 1972)
b) Arbaïn (Naser Taghvai, 1970)
c) Rokh / The Rook (Ali Akbar Sadeghi, 1974)

31. Kelid / The Key (Ebrahim Forouzesh, 1987)

Day 15

32. Sorb / The Lead (Masud Kimiai, 1989)

Days 16, 17, 19, 20

FUCK MOVIES.

Day 18 - War and Poetry, 1989

33. Mohajer - The Immigrant (Ebrahim Hatamikia, 1989)
34. Nar-o-nay / Pomegranate and Cane (Saeed Ebrahimifar, 1989)

Day 21 - the 1990s and Need

35. Niaz / The Need (Alireza Davoudnejad, 1992)

Day 22 - more rural poverty, 90s style

36. Khomreh / The Jar (Ebrahim Forouzesh, 1992)
Top Viewings So FarShow

1. Bashu, gharibeye koochak / Bashu, the Little Stranger (Bahram Beizai, 1989)
2. Jostoju / The Search (Amir Naderi, 1980)

3. Gharibeh Va Meh / Stranger and the Fog (Bahram Beizai, 1976)
4. Baghé sanngui / The Garden of Stones (Parviz Kimiavi, 1976)
5. Ars Poetica (Khosrow Sinai, 1967)

Day 23 - a Beizai Masterpiece

37. Bashu, gharibeye koochak / Bashu, the Little Stranger (Bahram Beizai, 1989)
Day 24 - 2x Kimiai & Banietemad

38. Dandan-e-mar / Snake's Fang (Masud Kimiai, 1990)
39. Radd-e-pay-e-gorg / The Wolf's Trail (Masud Kimiai, 1993)

These are the 6th and 7th Kimiai films I've seen, and at this point I can I think safely say that the director falls into a tradition similar to the those in the west that spawned directors like Clouzot in France or Endfield in the USA and UK - a guy who works out his social issues through tough, sometimes violent male-oriented action-thrillers that tend to be quite pessimistic and cynical. I haven't loved any of his films yet, and perhaps some of this comes down to his reliance on the kinds of narratives that work best with somewhat bigger budgets and productions - you can''t really make a Zulu or Wages of Fear in Iran. So his films draw equally on a more noirish tradition, with his individual male protagonists typically acting out crimes or revenge in a world that sometimes seems a bit small-scaled for their large personalities. Not sure I'm explaining this well, but these two films I think exemplify some of the problems -

In Dandan-e-mar we have a late-middle-aged veteran, Reza, who works as a printer and lives with his mother, who dies at the beginning of the film, leading him despondently to stay the night at a flophouse because he can't stand to come home alone. Here his most precious possessions are lifted from him, and he blames his room-mate Ahmad, who eventually leads him into a world of crime involving children and smuggling of black-market goods and fake currency, and a shady businessman behind it all, Abdul. It's all fairly well done and has a big explosive set-piece at the end (here's where the comparison to more expensive western films comes into play), but what I liked most was the feeling of desolation shared by all the loveless, childless 50-60-something men at the heart of the conflicts. And I loved the cheesy music by Fariborz Lachini, which sounds at times like a missing link between Morricone and modern Bollywood soundtracks.

Radd-e-pay-e-gorg is a little more low-key and as much as any Iranian film I've seen fits quite comfortably in the world of noir - anybody reading this who might want something different for Noirvember might take a look. Not that it's so different in terms of narrative, in fact in this story of duplicity, loss and ultimate revenge I see lots of echoes of many very famous classic noir films, particularly Out of the Past; at times I wondered if it were actually an unauthorized remake of some Hollywood film but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Reza has gotten out of jail after 20 years for a murder he didn't commit, and he's now come to Tehran at the behest of his old friend - and criminal cohort - Sadegh Khan to do Sadegh a small favor, but when that favor turns into a set-up, Reza has to find out why. Along the way he meets up with an old flame and former fiancee, and her daughter who just happens to be about 20, I think you can guess where some of this goes. I liked this slightly more than the previous film, in part because of a couple of cool fights that turn into chase scenes - one of them involving a horseback ride through traffic-clogged Tehran streets - though the ending isn't all it could be, and the strong noirish pessimism and fatalism that runs throughout is slightly undermine I think in the finale. Star actress/director Niki Karimi is a standout as the young Negin.

40. Nargess (Rakhshan Banietemad, 1992)
41. Rusari Abi / The Blue-Veiled (Rakhshan Banietemad, 1995)

I'm not quite as familiar with Banietemad - these are just the 3rd and 4th films I've seen - but on the whole I think I click with her more, perhaps in part because her films express something that is more potent within a repressive patriarchy like Iran; it's just as universal as Kimiai's invididual-against-the world narratives, but it maybe has a little more power because it's urgency is so palpable within the context of this society.

Nargess has a lot of similarities to her best-known work, Zir-e poost-e shahr / Under the Skin of the City, in that it deals with how criminality - even generally a low-level criminality - affects and infects everybody, and yet it continues to seem to offer the best possible future for many on the lower end of society. Here we have Adel, a 20-something small-time thief who works both with an older man - a fence, I guess, though its a little unclear - and with his wife, Afagh, who is in her 40s - falling in love with the young and pure Nargess, and deciding to marry her, which throws his "other family" into turmoil of course. As Adel keeps lying, and keeps making promises to go straight even after a short prison stretch and having few possibilities for employment, it's inevitable that some tragedy will come down. While the end result isn't surprising, it's all very well done and there's never a point where I felt confident that any one of the quartet of main characters would make it - or die - or that there might be happiness in store for any of them. I don't think it's overall quite as good as Zir-e poost-e shahr but it's powerful stuff nonetheless and another example showing that while Banietemad is clearly a feminist, she cares no less for the men caught up in this terrible system - they may not have to pay as many penalties with their bodies, but they are quite clearly and often just as fucked up psychologically by their repressive government and often hypocritical religious and judicial systems.

Rusari Abi is a nice change - a serious film for sure, and embodying some of the same issues at play in the director's other films - crime and drug addiction - but one which also puts those negative elements in the background to a story of romance and, dare I say, hope - even if its the very specific kind of hope that comes from the somewhat inexplicable attraction of older, wealthy Rasul (the always marvelous Ezzatolah Entezami) for a much younger, rather plain "gypsy"* woman, Nobar (Fatemah Motamed-Aria). He's the owner of a large fruit farm, she's a new employee who cares for both her young siblings, and her mother, an opium addict who is in and out of jail. Rasul has several daughters and lives in a beautiful mansion, and has been widowed for years, and feels something in Nobar's innate goodness; of course his daughters and some of his peers in business look down on the relationship, and in fact he hides her from them for quite a while. Some of this is specifically Iranian - the talk of concubines and invisible marriages and such - and some could come right out of Douglas Sirk. There's nothing in the end terribly novel here, but the two lead performances and a quite emotional ending lift it from out of the ordinary, if not into greatness.

* this is what she's called by several characters but it's never clear to me that it's anything but a vague insult; perhaps the character has a different ethnicity or origin but it's not clear to this non-Iranian what it might be.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » May 25th, 2019, 11:18 pm

32. Nassereddin Shah, Actor-e Cinema/ Once Upon a Time, Cinema (1992)
33. Az Karkheh ta Rhein / From Karkheh to Rhein (1993)
34. Kimia / Alchemy (1995)
35. Rusari Abi / The Blue-Veiled (1995)
36. Nun va Goldoon / A Moment of Innocence (1996) (l)
SpoilerShow
1. Shorts:
6. Gilane (2004)
8. Leila (1997)
17. Gheisar (1969)
30. Nargess (1992)

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 26th, 2019, 12:29 am

72allinncallme wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 11:18 pm
Are we pretty much watching the same films for this challenge? It seems everything I've watched you've either just watched or watch shortly after. :lol:

24. Kimia (AKA Alchemy) (1995)
25. Nakhoda Khorshid (AKA Captain Khorshid) (1987)
26. Ajans-E Shisheh-I (AKA The Glass Agency) (1999)
27. Hajji Washington (1982)
28. Madar (AKA Mother) (1990)

BRONZE!! :banana:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 26th, 2019, 4:09 am

4. Offside (2006)
5. Homework (1989)
6. Fellow Citizen (1983)
7. The Salesman (2016)
8. The Silence (1998)
9. Caravans (1978)
10. Close-Up (1990)
11. The Past (2013)
12. About Elly... (2009)
13. The Blind Owl (1975)
14. A.B.C Africa (2001)
15. The Report (1977)

16. The Cyclist (1989)

Aptly compared to They Shoot Horses Don't They?, though with a marathon bike ride instead. This is not quite as well acted and there is less character focus, but this is equally as intense a ride with effective extreme low camera angles and point-of-view shots adding a lot of tension to what is really just one person riding in a circle for hours on end. The symbolism is interesting too regarding refugees and immigrants. The various flashes backwards and forwards early on - in addition to distorted shots through glass objects - set the right tone for what is essentially a nightmare played out on screen.

And now you must excuse me while I impersonate Mohsen Makhmalbaf since I have been moved so deeply moved by this film. :ph43r:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 26th, 2019, 6:14 am

33. Nakhoda Khorshid (Captain Khorshid) (1987)
34. Gozaresh (The Report) (1977)
35. Ghazieh-e Shekl-e Aval, Ghazieh-e Shekl-e Dou Wom (1979)

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 26th, 2019, 6:14 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 12:29 am

:cheers:

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » May 26th, 2019, 9:00 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 12:29 am

Are we pretty much watching the same films for this challenge? It seems everything I've watched you've either just watched or watch shortly after. :lol:

Yes, I noticed that too :lol:
Congrats! I’ll get there before the end of the month.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 26th, 2019, 3:06 pm

5. Ed ora... raccomanda l'anima a Dio! / Mardaneh bekosh / Stranger Say Your Prayers / etc, etc (Demofilo Fidani, 1968)

d) Aan ke khial baft, aan ke amal kard / The One Who Dreamt, the One Who Acted (Morteza Momayyez, 1971)

Day 15

Days 16, 17, 19, 20

FUCK MOVIES.

Top Viewings So FarShow

5. Boof-e-koor / The Blind Owl (Kiumars Derambakhsh, 1975)
6. Ars Poetica (Khosrow Sinai, 1967)
7. Aghaye Halou / Mr. Naive (Dariush Mehrjui, 1970)

Day 25 - a surreal 70s side trip; Ali Hatami's musical and family traditions; more war and aftermath

42. Boof-e-koor / The Blind Owl (Kiumars Derambakhsh, 1975)

I can't really say too much more about this wild hour-long nightmare than sol did on the previous page - for one thing, this defies easy explication, both because of it's fractured, narratively obtuse structure and the very poor low-res quality of the YT video that seems to be the only thing available, and I think it's quite deliberately put together in such a way as to work primarily as a dream-work, as much as anything by Lynch or the early surrealists. In point of fact the film it most recalled to me in dim memory was John Parker's 1955 dialogue-free masterpiece Dementia (also just abut an hour long) though that film oscillates between noir and horror, while this seems to me to best be categorized as fantasy-horror. And of course this has color and plenty of dialogue. It's a film full of recurring images - birds especially, trees, the sounds of wind, recurring figures, and it seems curiously static and driving towards some unexplained purpose at the same time. Whatever it is, it will stay with me, and I certainly would recommend it to the adventurous who can tolerate poor prints. This is right up there with Gharibeh Va Meh as a film I'd desperately love to see in better quality.

43. Madar / Mother (Ali Hatami, 1990)
44. Del Shodegan / Love Stricken (Ali Hatami, 1992)

At least a couple of reviews I''ve seen of Hatami's work generally, and these two films specifically, mention how difficult the filmmaker might be for non-Iranians, as they rely on traditions, rituals, and symbolism - in the form of coded spoken language in the first film, and mostly in music and poetry in the second - that will be obtuse for foreigners. I'd have to say this is a correct assessment, at least for this foreigner - while neither of these films is terribly difficult to grasp on a simple narrative level, the underlying meanings and designs of much of what goes on is a bit elusive to me. Both films though are beautiful enough in sound and image that they are I think well worth viewing even if they seem bizarre or, particularly in the case of the second, dull because you might be lacking proper context.

Madar is closer to being a conventional story with conventional characters - an elderly woman moves back to the family's large Tehran house to die, gathering her three sons and two daughters around her; eventually a step-son unknown to the children comes to join them. There are many fractured relationships here, and disputes and squabbles both petty and larger. The oldest son, a businessman who works with a German company and sometimes speaks in very poor fractured German picks on the middle son, called "crazy" but probably developmentally disabled; the younger son mostly stays out of it and quotes poetry. The older daughter is morose and has little to do with the others for the most part; the younger daughter is pregnant but sees little of her husband, who is always pushed away by the eldest brother when he comes to visit. And so on. Some of these characters - particularly the oldest brother who is almost ridiculous in his aggression and self-pity, and the step-brother who comes from the sea, strike me as highly symbolic or allegorical figures, but what they represent I really don't know. Even so, the beauty of Hatami's stately, slow camerawork, the music, and the color make this well worth seeing, and in the end it does have a certain emotional power, in that the fractured family comes to seem familiar and universal, and their tragedy that they cannot really get along even in the face of impending death is quite moving.

Even more beautiful and lyrical is Del Shodegan, the story of a group of Iranian musicians in the early part of the last century (early 20s, maybe?) who journey to Paris to make recordings, either the technology or capital not being available at home. Much of the film is made up of performance, and if you like Iranian classical music it's worth seeing for this element, and for some of the details about the difficulty of living the musical life; but there is a fair amount that is arcane, such as the strange love story that seems to develop out of myth or fantasy - we see a painting of a beautiful young woman who looks strikingly like the director's daughter Leila, and then she appears in life in another scene - and it is in fact Leila Hatami,

in her first adult role at 20 - acting as a Turkish princess (? I think) and speaking French to the singer of the musicians, a poetic dialogue as they stand in a high tower with the city behind them, which leads to a tragic love affair. But it's all done in a series of tableau-like scenes that sometimes feel like they are plucked out of Iranian history or literature, without necessarily much regard for conventional cinematic structure or narrative, so there was much that was lost to me. The best parts were probably those involving the drum player, a fine restaurant chef plucked out of that profession to make music; Akbar Abdi, the rotund and large-mustached chef is a lovely comic presence in a film that can seem rather dry at times. Like Madar I found enough to enjoy here, but I probably wouldn't want to see either film again without a little more knowledge about where they come from. It is interesting to see an Iranian film from this period largely filmed somewhere else though, and the Paris locations are used with some imagination, and aren't the typical touristy stuff.

45. Kimia / Alchemy (Ahmad Reza Darvish, 1995)

Loss in the war, and recovery. This starts out very promisingly, with a young man trying to save his pregnant wife and their about-to-be-born child in the chaos of bombardments and explosions in the mid-80s during the war - much of this section is hand-held and there's a visceral and agonizing power to a lot of it - we get to know the man and woman a little, another man the husband befriends, the female doctor trying to deliver the baby, her husband, another doctor in another part of town, and in a few minutes most of them are dead, and the female doctor is on the run, holding the baby. All quite powerful. Then, 9 years later, the husband has come back as an ex-POW, the war is over, and he needs to find news of his wife and child, and goes in search of the doctor. While this second part of the film is certainly not bad, and is reasonably well-acted, especially by Bita Farahi as the conflicted doctor - you can maybe guess what has happened to the child, who lends her name to the title - it's all quite predictable and moves towards an ending that just didn't deliver the emotional heft I think it was going for, at least not for this cynical viewer who has perhaps seen more war films of late than he wants to.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 26th, 2019, 5:36 pm

13. A Moment of Innocence (Makhmalbaf, 1996). Quite a lot to unpack in this one. Strangely lyrical despite its fairly prosaic settings.

SpoilerShow
1. Offside (Panahi, 2006)
2. This is Not a Film (Panahi, 2011)
3. Where Is My Friend's Home? (Kiarostami, 1987)
4. Homework (Kiarostami, 1989)
5. About Elly (Farhadi, 2009)
6. Jafar Panahi's Taxi (Panahi, 2015)
7. Tranquility in the Presence of Others (Taghvai, 1973)
8. And Life Goes On (Kiarostami, 1992)
9. Fireworks Wednesday (Farhadi, 2006)
10. Fellow Citizen (Kiarostami, 1983)
11. The Salesman (Farhadi, 2016)
12. Ten (Kiarostami)
13. A Moment of Innocence (Makhmalbaf, 1996).
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » May 26th, 2019, 5:40 pm

37. Derakhte Golabi / The Pear Tree (1998)
38. Boodan yaa naboodan / To Be or Not to Be (1999)
39. Tales of an Island (2000)
40. The 17s (2013)
SpoilerShow
1. Shorts:
6. Gilane (2004)
8. Leila (1997)
17. Gheisar (1969)
30. Nargess (1992)
40. The 17s (2013)

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 27th, 2019, 2:32 pm

I also saw 3 Iranian movies last week finally. All from Mohsen Makhmalbaf.

1. Gabbeh (1996): 6.5 - Beautiful use of colors, but the poetic way the story is told didn’t work for me.
2. Sokout {The Silence] (1998): 7.8 - It doesn't completely come together in a coherent whole, but the way MM gets you into the headspace of its blind young protagonist in various individual scenes is poetic cinema done very well.
3. Baghban [The Gardener] (2012): 7.2

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm

4. Offside (2006)
5. Homework (1989)
6. Fellow Citizen (1983)
7. The Salesman (2016)
8. The Silence (1998)
9. Caravans (1978)
10. Close-Up (1990)
11. The Past (2013)
12. About Elly... (2009)
13. The Blind Owl (1975)
14. A.B.C Africa (2001)
15. The Report (1977)
16. The Cyclist (1989)

17. O.K. Mister (1979)

An Iranian colonialism satire in which Pompous Brits arrive in a Middle Eastern country via hot air balloon and exploit the country's natural resources while indoctrinating the locals about their supposed inferiority. The film begins well with a bouncy music score and lots of zaniness as the main conquistador pops in and out of various holes in the ground like a hyperactive Caddyshack gopher, scaring the locals. Iran-born Farokh Ghafari is convincingly British too. Alas, as the film goes on, he fades into the background as his less interesting "Cinderella" colleague takes centre stage.
Image Image Image

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 27th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Day 15

Days 16, 17, 19, 20

FUCK MOVIES.

Day 25 - a surreal 70s side trip; Ali Hatami's musical and family traditions; more war and aftermath

Top Viewings So FarShow

Day 26 - 60s shorts, and the Millenium arrives with war and reflection

46. SHORTS III - 29 + 22 + 15 = 66 minutes

a) Amoo Sibilou / Uncle Mustache (Bahram Beizai, 1969)

unsubbed. There's a good description of this in the same book that jd links to above in relation to Beizai's next short Safar, and it's pretty easy to watch regardless. Essentially a film about an old man who lives in isolation in a house that seems on the edge of town, who is disrupted by a bunch of children playing football, raging at them while they call him "Uncle Mustache" for his big brushy facial hair, until he finally has enough when a ball breaks his window, and he takes his revenge by destroying it and scaring the kids away. This has a small tragic consequence though, and it's then up to Uncle Mustache to make things right with the kids. Nothing particularly remarkable here in and of itself, though it's quite well edited in sound and visuals (from what I could tell - horrible copy), but it's an important precursor to the work of Kiarostami, preceding his first films, and to the Iranian cinema's heavy focus on children and their relations with adults.

b) Marg-e yek ghesse / Death of a Story (Nasib Nasibi, 1968)

unsubbed, first check. There are a couple of short remarks about this fascinating experimental work on Letterboxed which help a bit, but certainly much was lost to me not understanding Farsi. A strange work that seems to be largely allegorical and/or political - anti-Shah - that mostly consists of a tall, beautiful, elegantly white-clad lady walking through various parts of a city past various horrors and degradations, including streets full of dead bodies, and men in a long chain-gang. At one point a young boy smears blood from a corpse in the street on his fingers, and paints a face on her dress - she simply keeps moving. Later there are other characters and discussions, it all seemed like some kind of pointed attack on aristocracy and power, but beyond that.. ? Quite beautifully shot, again not the best quality copy but better than the Beizai film.

c) Tappehaye queytariye / The Hills of Qaytariyeh (Parviz Kimiavi, 1969)

unsubbed, first check. Of the many "name" Iranian filmmakers who have made short or feature length documentaries about the country's artistic past, architecture, and archaeology, Kimiavi seems to have kept the most focus on the subject. Here he turns to diggings in the eponymous hills, with the story of the dead seeming to intrude on his workers. This was the hardest to really follow or enjoy without subs, but having seen several works on similar archaeological themes I felt it was still interesting, if not among the most visually enticing.

47. Safar be Chazabeh / Journey to Chazabeh (Rasool Mollagholi Poor, 1996)

A very interesting concept - a filmmaker and his composer/friend are working on the set of a war film near Tehran, but suddenly and for no apparent reason find themselves thrust into the middle days of the Iran-Iraq war, in a border town hundreds of miles away. Is it time travel, fantasy, or a delusion brought on by guilt on the part of the director (a veteran) or composer (who apparently sat out the war somehow)? The battle sequences are pretty well done and like the first part of Kimia this gives a good sense of the insanity and confusion of war, but the meaning of this delusion/fantasy is never made explicit and in the end this seems more like patriotic propaganda than anything else. Not bad but unfortunately it didn't do much with it's central conceit.

48. Banoo-Ye Ordibehesht / The May Lady (Rakhshan Banietemad, 1998)

Another film following a filmmaker, this one offering Forough, a female documentary director, and her interviews with various women in the pre-production stage of a film about motherhood. She's a mother herself, in her early 40s with a son in his late teens, and the son is very possessive, and doesn't like the idea of her moving on and re-marrying, while her ex-husband who lives far away offers little emotional support, seeming to attack the idea of her film - though she has more doubts herself as the work progresses that this is an appropriate subject for her. This has some nice pointed statements about a society which sees being a mother as the highest ambition a woman can or should have, but the contrasts with Forough's own life - and her clear identification with the poet she's probably named after - aren't as well developed as they could be, and in particular the character of the son just isn't strong enough. Worth seeing but something of a disappointment to me after liking the previous several films from the director much more.

49. Rooban-e ghermez / The Red Ribbon (Ebrahim Hatamikia, 1999)

Another war film, or rather another post-war film, about a woman, Mahboobeh, who returns to her home in a rocky, desert area a few miles outside an unnamed town, and finds herself in conflict with two men, Davood and Jomeh, who live in the area. Davood lives in a tent near her ruined house and defuses land mines - the title refers to the ribbons he lays out to form safe paths between mine fields - while Jomeh lives in, perhaps owns (not real clear) a junkyard full of rusted and blasted tanks. All three are clearly scarred from the war and seem to be clinging to sanity and civilization only by threads, though Jomeh struck me as a little more self-aware and rational than the others; and all are lonely and isolated through previous misfortunes (rarely stated) so not surprisingly a romantic rivalry eventually develops, though in a strange way. This is beautifully shot in 'scope and the performances are all excellent, and it goes in some unexpected directions and ends with a strange kind of hope - maybe. Overall my favorite film from this director so far, really it's only problem is that at 110 minutes it seems a bit long for a fairly simple 3-hander with challenging, sometimes unpleasant personalities.

50. Shabe Yalda / Yalda Night / The Longest Night (Kiumars Poorahmad, 2001)

From a 3-hander to a mostly solo performance: Shabe Yalda begins with Hamed's wife and daughter boarding a plane from Tehran to Germany, while he stays behind, uncertain as to when or if they will return. Hamed is an unemployed loser it seems, and an atheist - this point is made a couple of times, and indication of one of the reasons perhaps why he cant get work; a dreamer, artist and musician who lacks self-confidence and rages at the world, and most of the film consists of him wandering around his (his uncle's really) nice apartment, pleading or arguing with his wife, receiving visits from his mother, endlessly watching video of his family from better days. There are plenty "dark night of the soul" films that I've loved, this sadly isn't one of them - I'm not really sure in the end what this wallow in self-pity is supposed to be getting at, and while Mohammad Reza Forutan certainly embodies the pathetic and self-deluded Hamed well, there's just not enough in this character for me to give a shit. And as I said at the beginning, the atheist angle - and the pointed "trust in God" remarks made to him at several points - really rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think its exactly an Iranian equivalent of God's Not Dead but I''m not sure it's altogether harmless either, though there was certainly much in Hamed that I could identify with as well. Ehh, very very mixed on this.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » May 27th, 2019, 7:41 pm

41. Booye kafoor, atre yas / Smell of Camphor, Fragrance of Jasmine (2000)
42. Shabe Yalda / Yalda Night (2001)
SpoilerShow
1. Shorts:
6. Gilane (2004)
8. Leila (1997)
17. Gheisar (1969)
30. Nargess (1992)
40. The 17s (2013)

albajos

Post by albajos » May 27th, 2019, 9:15 pm

02. Ta'm e guilass (1997) aka A Taste of Cherry Iran | France 15 official lists 3 126 checks [double]
03 (s1a) Khaneh siah ast (1963) aka The House Is Black Iran 10 official lists 1 795 checks 22 min. (22)
03 (s1b) An shab ke barun amad (1967) aka The Night It Rained Iran 2 official lists 263 checks 38 min. (0)

Off. list progress
+4 Film magazine's Best Iranian Films (2009) (6,6%)

Golf WarShow
01. Bacheha-Ye aseman (1997) aka Children of Heaven Iran 8 official lists 3 214 checks

!seen 3

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » May 27th, 2019, 11:24 pm

04. Lerd, by Mohammad Rasoulof (2017) 8/10

A very dark movie about corruption and influences in Iran. Quite pessimistic, but very well done...
Picked up olives... (03)Show
01. Talaye sorkh, by Jafar Panahi (2003) 9/10
02. Gaav, by Dariush Mehrjuhi (1969) 8/10
03. Rang-e khoda, by Majid Majidi (1999) 7,5/10

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 28th, 2019, 4:25 am

36. Shabe ghuzi (Night of the Hunchback) (1965)
37. Madar (Mother) (1990)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 28th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Day 15

Days 16, 17, 19, 20

FUCK MOVIES.

Top Viewings So FarShow

8. Ravayate Makhdush / Black Tape: A Tehran Diary, the Videotape Fariborz Kambari Found in the Garbage (Fariborz Kamkari, 2002)
Day 27 - Spirit and Flesh in the early 2000s

51. Ravayate Makhdush / Black Tape: A Tehran Diary, the Videotape Fariborz Kambari Found in the Garbage (Fariborz Kamkari, 2002)

The English-language title pretty much gives it away: this is a found-footage mockumentary (though "mock" certainly doesn't describe what we see) that purports to be a roughly year-long video diary of a young woman, Goli, between 2001 and 2002; we know the dates because of TV references in the background to September 11. Goli is given a video camera for her 18th birthday by her 50-something husband, who she's been with since he bought her at the age of 8 - this gives you an idea of what you're in for, though we don't learn those details immediately. It starts out with the birthday party and things go rapidly dowhill as Goli's freedom is more and more curtailed, and we learn more about her background and what brought her to this place of savage imprisonment by an all-too-typical macho patriarchal brute, including the fact that "Goli" isn't her real name, that she's Kurdish and had to discard both language and identity, and that her husband is essentially holding the promise of harm to her family over her to keep her in line. It is as I mentioned in the first line a found-footage work, but the grainy, shaky video and choppy editing isn't really ever meant to convey a sense of absolute realism, and it soon becomes apparent that it's a strategy meant to give immediacy and emotional potency to this story - which for me works exceptionally well. So if one wants to criticize it on "realism" terms - how is a character holding the video camera and an AK47 at the same time while running around being pursued for example? - it fails, and if that's your standard, I wouldn't recommend it. But if on the other hand you accept it as merely a fly-on-the-wall strategy using this then-new technology (in Iran anyway) to put you inside this young woman's awful life and give you no release from it, I think it's absolutely successful. A good choice as it turned out for my 200th Iranian film.

52. Zir-e noor-e maah / Under the Moonlight (Reza Mirkarimi, 2001)

The IMDb description for this film is, for once, spot-on, and as I'm getting burned out on writing at the moment, I'm not going to go into much detail. This is essentially a conflict, played out in the person of young religious student Sayyed Hassan, about to graduate and become a cleric, between the life of religion, prayer and spirit, and the worldly, spiritually and economically impoverished lives on the streets that he becomes involved with when the cloth for his new vestments is stolen by a young boy. One thing I liked is that it's presented as an organic journey - Sayyed is presented at the very beginning as being a little more doubtful and dubious about the life he's entering than his ebullient roommate, and he remains a doubtful presence throughout the film, even to the very final shot, beautiful in it's simplicity and open-endedness. A lovely film that perhaps will have more force for those more familiar with or interested in religious practices - of any kind - and who have had the kinds of spiritual doubts and fractures that Sayyed experiences.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 28th, 2019, 3:13 pm

4. Offside (2006)
5. Homework (1989)
6. Fellow Citizen (1983)
7. The Salesman (2016)
8. The Silence (1998)
9. Caravans (1978)
10. Close-Up (1990)
11. The Past (2013)
12. About Elly... (2009)
13. The Blind Owl (1975)
14. A.B.C Africa (2001)
15. The Report (1977)
16. The Cyclist (1989)
17. O.K. Mister (1979)

18. Ferestadeh (1983)

This intriguing thriller follows a pious Iranian citizen sent to America to assassinate an expatriate accused of betraying Islam. While following his target, he bumps into and befriends him. The vast majority of the film dealing with his internal conflict, torn between killing his only friend in a foreign country and his extremist ideology and writer-director Parviz Sayyad provides the film with the perfect amount of ambiguity to reflect the assassin's self-doubt as his orders mysteriously change upon arriving in America, as he receives phone calls from faceless superiors in the middle of the night, etc.
Image Image Image

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » May 28th, 2019, 7:37 pm

43. Ashkan, angoshtar-e motebarek va dastan-haye digar / Ashkan, the Charmed Ring and Other Stories (2009)
44. Talaye sorkh / Crimson Gold (2003) (l)
SpoilerShow
1. Shorts:
6. Gilane (2004)
8. Leila (1997)
17. Gheisar (1969)
30. Nargess (1992)
40. The 17s (2013)
43. Ashkan, angoshtar-e motebarek va dastan-haye digar / Ashkan, the Charmed Ring and Other Stories (2009)

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 29th, 2019, 5:07 am

38. Safar be Chazabeh (1995)
39. Gavaznha (The Deer) (1974)
40. Gheisar (1969)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 29th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Day 15

Days 16, 17, 19, 20

FUCK MOVIES.

Day 27 - Spirit and Flesh in the early 2000s

51. Ravayate Makhdush / Black Tape: A Tehran Diary, the Videotape Fariborz Kambari Found in the Garbage (Fariborz Kamkari, 2002)
52. Zir-e noor-e maah / Under the Moonlight (Reza Mirkarimi, 2001)
Top Viewings So FarShow

8. Ravayate Makhdush / Black Tape: A Tehran Diary, the Videotape Fariborz Kambari Found in the Garbage (Fariborz Kamkari, 2002)
Day 28 - the Makhmalbaf Daughters Do Afghanistan

53. Panj é asr / At Five in the Afternoon (Samira Makhmalbaf, 2003)
54. Lezate divanegi / Joy of Madness (Hana Makhmalbaf, 2003)

Filmed in and around Kabul after the overthrow of the Taliban, these two works along with several others from the Makhmalbaf family during this period represent an attempt at political filmmaking and energizing the public - mostly outside of Afghanistan and Iran of course - into becoming more aware of the injustices in these parts of the Islamic world, particularly towards women; given how few people have seen them, and how little from the family (and only from patriarch Mohsen) has shown up since 2010, I wonder if this is a brave experiment that has failed through government interference and suppression, or merely audience indifference? At any rate I've liked most of these films, which also include Mohsen's Safar e Ghandehar and Hana's Buda as sharm foru rikht among others, though I've yet to be as knocked out by any of them as I am by some of Mohsen's films from the 90s, or the two films from Marzieh his second wife.

And these are of a piece with the rest, strong works expressing feminist and humanist concerns, and also the ongoing Iranian cinematic fascination with where the truth lies, and whether it can best be found in the documentary or feature format, or some hybrid. Samira's feature is a gorgeously shot story of a young woman, Nogreh, struggling to find her place in that space between poetry and prose, youth and adulthood, tradition and modernity - Lorca's poem which provides the title also provides the theme, which might be said to also reside on the cusp between day and night, the possibilities of either a dreadful future as awful as the Taliban or something else that is as beautiful as the sun - but also as unreliable. Nogreh lives with her old and traditionalist father - who drops her off at school everyday, unaware that she's actually going to a secular school and doffing her plain shoes for white pumps, and talking about becoming the first female President of the country - and her sister-in-law, caring for a dying baby. They live in - or inhabit might be the better word - a crumbling, spectacular ruined palace and Nogreh has something like a boyfriend, though little can come of it, as the father wants to go off to somewhere more purely Islamic, pursuing a myth that is unfortunately more potent in this world than that of democracy, education, and the empowerment of all outside of ancient traditions. An ending that is typically open-ended provides a tiny bit of hope, at least if we want it to. In some ways this isn't as 'tough" as I might want it to be, but the acting by the entirely non-professional cast is wonderful and there are visual moments throughout that, I think, reflect better on the values of a modern, cinematic and art-conscious generation than on the medievalists who are alas as strong as ever, if not in this film.

Hana's film seems to be not merely a video diary of big sister's film, but also something like a casting diary for future use by the filmmakers, and it's a fascinating work in it's own right though I can't say I'm in the camp that likes it more than the feature it pairs so nicely with. Much of what we get out of this is that Samira, while quite confident and capable, can perhaps be a little too rough and hard on her potential cast, not always sympathetic to their issues in being in a film at all in a country where the threat of fundamentalism is still very real, while at the same time the girls' father Mohsen plays the good cop and tries sometimes to smooth over his daughter's more aggressive behavior. It's all very well put together and as some critics have pointed out, it may be more honest in how it portrays the views of these ordinary, poor Afghanis, but I guess this is a case where the poetry of the feature works better for me than the frankness of the non-fiction work.

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 29th, 2019, 6:34 pm

41. Khomreh (The Jar) (1992)
Excellent.
42. Leila (1997)

That's it for me. It's been fun :cheers:

albajos

Post by albajos » May 29th, 2019, 9:58 pm

04. Dah (2002) aka Ten Iran | France 11 official lists 1 446 checks [double]
05.Zire darakhatan zeyton (1994) aka Through the Olive Trees Iran | France 8 official lists 933 checks [double]

And that's it for me. Thanks for hosting OldAle1, and congrats on the first win.

Off. list progress
+6 Film magazine's Best Iranian Films (2009) (8,2%)

The Golf War never gave us a hole in oneShow
01. Bacheha-Ye aseman (1997) aka Children of Heaven Iran 8 official lists 3 214 checks
02. Ta'm e guilass (1997) aka A Taste of Cherry Iran | France 15 official lists 3 126 checks [double]
03 (s1a) Khaneh siah ast (1963) aka The House Is Black Iran 10 official lists 1 795 checks 22 min. (22)
03 (s1b) An shab ke barun amad (1967) aka The Night It Rained Iran 2 official lists 263 checks 38 min. (0)

!seen 5

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 30th, 2019, 1:05 am

5. Bashu, gharibeye koochak / Bashu, the little stranger (Iran 89) - Rewatch

Good to revisit this - I don't think I was tuned into PTSD the first time around. so many layers....
SpoilerShow
1. Shabhaye roshan / White nights (Iran 03)
2. Inja bedoone man / Here without me (Iran 11)
3. Zanan-e bedun-e mardan / Women without men (Int’l 09)
4. ABC Africa (Iran 01)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 30th, 2019, 9:21 am

2. The Silence / Sokout (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1998) 8-
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

ororama

Post by ororama » May 30th, 2019, 11:18 am

1. The Silence (1998) * 76 min.

*First time viewing.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 30th, 2019, 2:10 pm

4. Offside (2006)
5. Homework (1989)
6. Fellow Citizen (1983)
7. The Salesman (2016)
8. The Silence (1998)
9. Caravans (1978)
10. Close-Up (1990)
11. The Past (2013)
12. About Elly... (2009)
13. The Blind Owl (1975)
14. A.B.C Africa (2001)
15. The Report (1977)
16. The Cyclist (1989)
17. O.K. Mister (1979)
18. Ferestadeh (1983)

19. Blackboards (2000)

This film presents a curious look at the value placed on education. Most notable is a group of self-described teenage "mules" who have no interest in learning to read since it will not help them work. The film is devoid of exposition though and it is unclear whether the teachers are genuinely keen on educating or are simply desperate for paid work. The copious time dedicated to two characters who have trouble urinating is odd too. The story is certainly unusual enough to appreciate for its uniqueness, but this may be a film better appreciated with more knowledge of the subject.
Image Image Image

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 30th, 2019, 2:28 pm

3. Baran

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 30th, 2019, 10:42 pm

1. Safar e Ghandehar AKA The Sun Behind the Moon AKA Kandahar (2001) - Mohsen Makhmalbaf 6/10
2. Takhté siah AKA Blackboards (2000) - Samira Makhmalbaf 6/10
3. Se rokh AKA 3 Faces (2018) - Jafar Panahi 6/10
4. Panj é asr AKA At Five in the Afternoon (2003) - Samira Makhmalbaf 7/10

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » May 30th, 2019, 11:34 pm

45. Taxi (2015)

And I think that’s it for me. I have a couple of shorts left on my watchlist, but dunno if I have time for it. Thank you for hosting OldAle and congrats on the win. :cheers:
SpoilerShow
1. Shorts:
6. Gilane (2004)
8. Leila (1997)
17. Gheisar (1969)
30. Nargess (1992)
40. The 17s (2013)
45. Taxi (2015)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 31st, 2019, 3:41 am

And Iran, Iran so far awayShow
1. A Taste of Cherry (1997)
2. The Salesman (2016)
3. Fireworks Wednesday (2006)
4. Women Without Men (2009)
5. The White Meadows (2009)

More comments in the 1>500<400 thread, but while I liked the cinematography and pacing, the story just didn't land for me. Worthwhile watch, though. Amazon Prime US.

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » May 31st, 2019, 4:03 am

Poetic/experimental narratives - the 70s,

11. Cheshme (The Spring, Arby Ovanessian, 1972) 9.5/10
12. Boof-e koor (The Blind Owl, Kiumars Derambakhsh, 1975) 8.5/10

That's it for me, thanks again for hosting, OldAle1!

!seen 12

SpoilerShow
1. Bahar (Spring, Abolfazl Jalili, 1986) 8/10
2. La gale (Scabies, Abolfazl Jalili, 1989) 10/10
3. Bad-e Jenn (Wind of Jinn, Naser Taghvai, 1969) 9/10 (22 min), Arbaïn (Naser Taghvai, 1970) 10/10 (21 min), Rahaee (Release, Naser Taghvai, 1971) 8/10 (23 min) (Total: 66 min)
4. Aramesh dar Hozur Deegaran (Tranquility in the Presence of Others, Naser Taghvai, 1972) 8.5/10
5. Shazdeh Ehtejab (Prince Ehtejab, Bahman Farmanara, 1974) 9/10
6. Sayehaye bolande bad (Tall Shadows of the Wind, Bahman Farmanara, 1979) 8.5/10
7. Tangsir (Tight Spot, Amir Naderi, 1973) 7.5/10
8. Saz Dahani (Harmonica, Amir Naderi, 1974) 8/10
9-10. Takht-e Jamshid/Persepolis (Fereydoun Rahnema, 1960) 8/10 (19 min), Tappe-haye Marlik (The Hills of Marlik, Ebrahim Golestan, 1963) 8/10 (14 min), Sardi Ahan (Cold Iron, Khosrow Sinai, 1969) 9/10 (18 min), Amoo Sibilou (Uncle Moustache, Bahram Beizai, 1969) 7.5/10 (27 min), Hussein Yavari (Khosrow Sinai, 1972) 8/10 (17 min), Safar (The Journey, Bahram Beizai, 1972) 9/10 (34 min) (Total: 129 min)

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 31st, 2019, 1:01 pm

6-7 Bu-Ali Sina / Avicenna (Iran 87, TV series Ep 1-2 [out of 11])
This felt sort of, oh I dunno, orientalist maybe? I couldn't muster up the energy to watch the rest, anyhow. More me than it, might give it another shot sometime - I'm very low energy these days.

support your local AyatollahShow
1. Shabhaye roshan / White nights (Iran 03)
2. Inja bedoone man / Here without me (Iran 11)
3. Zanan-e bedun-e mardan / Women without men (Int’l 09)
4. ABC Africa (Iran 01)
6-7 Bu-Ali Sina / Avicenna (Iran 87, TV series Ep 1-2 [out of 11])
:run: STILL the Gaffer!