Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 30th), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: A tanú, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Russia Challenge (Official, January 2019)

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: Russia Challenge (Official, January 2019)

Post by funkybusiness » January 4th, 2019, 7:49 am

good to know about the latter, I'd just put The Dead Mountaineer's Hotel on my watchlist for the month last night.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » January 4th, 2019, 10:25 am

2. Aelita (1924) 4/10
The scenes on Mars looked fine, but the film takes way too much time to get started and lost itself in a confusing storyline.
SpoilerShow
1. Kavkazskaya plennitsa, ili Novye priklyucheniya Shurika (1967) 6/10
2. Aelita (1924) 4/10

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » January 4th, 2019, 10:37 am

I'm in as well. I will aim for 10:

1. Ukrainskaya rapsodiya / Ukrainian Rhapsody (1961, Sergei Parajanov) 4/10

Honestly, it felt like Parajanov was purposefully sabotaging this absurd and plain propaganda film, making elements just unintentionally hilarious or silly, while in most ways being a very conventional drama. Some elements, such as the travel through history/liberation by the soviets was very well done visually, and the narrative flow was somewhat interesting, and was what ultimately saved it from a dislike.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm

From Russia with LoveShow
1. Solaris (1972) REVISION
2. Solaris (1968)
3. Loveless (2017)
4. Kin-dza-dza ! (1986)
5. Test Pilot Pirx (1979)

6. A Dream Come True (1963)

Cosmonauts travel to one of the moons of Mars to rescue friendly alien space travelers who got lost on their way to the USSR (oh, yes). Apparently, the aliens enjoyed hearing the radio waves of Russia so much that they just had to go there, however, the songs here are pretty irksome and the characters are downright irritating. The film is blessed though with some amazing visuals, captured in glorious, vivid colour; both the alien's planet and future Russia (with giant public televisions) look gorgeous. It is hard to bask in the visuals with a narrator who tends to over-explain everything though.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 5th, 2019, 6:11 am

3. Kidnapping, Caucasian Style (Gaidai, 1967). I dunno what happened, but this wasn't half bad. I expected cringe, but was mostly entertained.

SpoilerShow
1. Operation 'Y' and Other Shurik's Adventures (Gaidai, 1965)
2. Kin-Dza-Dza! (Daneliya, 1986)
3. Kidnapping, Caucasian Style (Gaidai, 1967)
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » January 5th, 2019, 6:17 am

SpoilerShow
1. Brat/Brother (1997) 6/10
2. Vysota (1957) 4.5/10
3. Sto dney posle detstva/One Hundred Days After Childhood (1975) 6/10
4. Chastnaya zhizn/Private Life (1982) 5.5/10
5. Assa (1988) 6/10
6. Sudba cheloveka/Fate of a Man/Destiny of a Man (1959) 6/10

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » January 5th, 2019, 6:46 am

7. Bratya Karamazovy (1969)
8. Daun Haus (2001)
9. Zhenya, Zhenechka i 'Katyusha' (1967)
10. Barabaniada (1993)
11.The Heart and the Six Paintings of Ruth Gardner (2016) For some reason they decided to film this in the English language. Horrible acting :satstunned:

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » January 5th, 2019, 1:41 pm

2. Heat / Znoy (Larisa Shepitko, 1963) 6+

A young graduate is sent to the Kirghiz countryside to help a local community in the fields. His idealism confronts with a rough and headstrong farmer who looks upon the new comer as a threat. Shepitko is taking a naturalistic approach, well in the Russian film tradition, keeping the treatment of all protagonists balanced and depicting the harsh reality of work outside. But somehow, as Shepitko doesn't take a clear stance on whether the graduate brings new ideas and methods for the best of the people (like some propaganda would suggest) or he is a only a subversive element which disturbs a natural order he doesn't fully understand (which is probably the right interpretation but sounds a little naive and conservative), I was not very much engaged into the "heat".

focus on Russian directors born in the 30sShow
(Tarkovsky, Klimov, Shepitko, Panfilov, German, Konchalovskiy,..).

1. Welcome, or No Trespassing / Dobro pozhalovat, ili Postoronnim vkhod vospreshchen (Elem Klimov, 1964) 8

Charming comedy about a summer camp for kids and the director's arbitrary rules to protect them from questionable dangers, which also serves as a metaphor of USSR and its political system. Camera placement and composition, especially filming crowds, are very inventive and perfectly capturing the contrast between forced discipline and freedom at reach. This is "only" Klimov final graduation work at Moscow's FIlm School but an impressive piece of work nonetheless. And funny.

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » January 5th, 2019, 7:20 pm

1. Aerograd AKA Frontier (1935) - Aleksandr Dovzhenko
2-13. Semnadtsat mgnoveniy vesny AKA Seventeen Moments of Spring (1973) - Tatyana Lioznova

This is a brilliant TV miniseries about a Russian double agent in Nazi Germany towards the end of the war. The nearest western equivalent I can think of is John Le Carre's stuff like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. There is a lot of psychology in analyzing each character's motives and thoughts, and the protagonist cleverly plays with these to achieve his goals. With the exception of some bit parts, every major and minor character in this series is superbly played by their respective actors. This being a film mostly about Nazi German officers, it also does not fall into the usual trap of just dumping them into the "evil fascist" bin to justify the protagonist's actions. Instead we are given real character depth and humanity from every portrayal, and these depths factor into the story in meaningful ways. I had also recently seen another film from Tatyana Lioznova Three Poplars in Plyushchikha which also had amazing character development and acting, so I'll probably be keeping my eye out for more of her work.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 5th, 2019, 8:17 pm

01. Russkiy kovcheg (2002) Russia | Germany | Japan | Canada | Finland | Denmark 8 official lists 3 768 [triple]

!seen 1

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » January 6th, 2019, 3:06 am

(Screenshots from 'Dvoryanskoe gnezdo' & 'Zerkalo dlya geroya')

3. Proekt inzhenera Prayta (Engineer Prite's Project, Lev Kuleshov, 1918) 7/10 (30 min) + Skazka o rybake i rybke (Fishmonger and the Fish, Aleksandr Ptushko, 1937) 9/10 (30 min) (Total: 60 min)
4. Dvoryanskoe gnezdo (A Nest of Gentry, Andrey Konchalovskiy, 1969) 8.5/10
5. Bolshoe kosmicheskoe puteshestvie (The Big Space Travel, Valentin Selivanov, 1975) 6.5/10
6. Zerkalo dlya geroya (Mirror for a Hero, Vladimir Khotinenko, 1988) 9/10

SpoilerShow
1. Dom, kotoryy postroil Svift (The House That Swift Built, Mark Zakharov, 1982) 9.5/10
2. Na zlatom kryltse sideli (Sitting on the Golden Porch, Boris Rytsarev, 1987) 8/10

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 6th, 2019, 6:24 pm

4. Aerograd (Dovhzenko, 1935). Weirdboy is correct, this really doen't measure up. The "proclamations" made by the various characters quickly become tedious and the beautiful cinematography can't make up for the simplistic plot. My least favorite of the 4 Dovhzenko movies I've seen so far.

SpoilerShow
4. Aerograd (Dovhzenko, 1935)
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 6th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Time to learn about who's running my countryShow
1. Dom na Trubnoy (1928)
2. Ostrov AKA The Island (2006)
3. Chelovek-Amfibiya AKA Amphibian Man (1962)

A surgeon's son is dying from a lung disease, so he gives him gills to live underwater. But people are trying to capture this underwater creature. It was clunky - not everything seemed to gel together into a coherent narrative.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » January 7th, 2019, 3:03 am

1. Zacharovannaya Desna (1964)

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » January 7th, 2019, 7:41 am

12. Tayna tretey planety (1981) (Rewatch)
13. Zaveshchaniye professora Douelya (1985)
14. Aerograd (1935) (rewatch)
15. Stalker (1979) (Rewatch)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » January 7th, 2019, 9:51 am

2. Na voyne, kak na voyne / War is War (1968, Viktor Tregubovich)
Solid war film that interestingly spends a lot of time with it's characters simply waiting, joking and looking after their tank. Sadly, it is not atmospheric enough, or have characters that are charismatic or interesting enough to make it stand out. Our 4 leads are simply very basic moderately blank pages, and when the war scenes finally happen I was still not particularly attached to them. That is not to say it is not a moderately good film. Everything is well done and it is enjoyable enough, it just isn't anything to write home about. 6/10.

3. Plokhoy khoroshiy chelovek / The Duel (1973, Iosif Kheifits)
Iosif Kheifits, perhaps most known for his other melacholic Chekhov adaptation, The Lady with the Dog, brings the same kind of ambivalence and hopelessness into The Duel. Where the bleak thin figures in black and white was part of what made The Lady with the Dog come to life, The Duel is in matted colours, still pleasing for the eyes, but missing a slight piece of magic. Sadly the subtitles left a lot to be desired for, but the dreamlike way Kheifits spins in narrative makes it come to life (granted, with a withered dying heart). My one complaint is that I really didn't feel the anymousity between our two male leads, and while this added to the pointlessness of it all, the challenger seemed so far in the background that a part of the sting was softened. A great film all the same, and very promising for Kheifits solo work (I didn't much care for his early collaborations with Aleksandr Zarkhi, which are the only other films I have seen from him). 8/10.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 7th, 2019, 3:51 pm

*1. Solyaris (1971) 6/10
Films WatchedShow
*1. Solyaris (1971) 6/10
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 7th, 2019, 9:14 pm

5.-9. The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed (1979). TV Miniseries, 5 episodes of 1+ hour each. I've seen this referred to as "dated", but it's no more dated than other TV shows from that period. It's a very well done police procedural taking place in Moscow right after WWII and the final episode managed to get pretty tense.

SpoilerShow
5.-9. The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed (1979). TV Miniseries.
ImageImageImageImage

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 8th, 2019, 3:07 am

2. Solaris (1968)
3. Loveless (2017)
4. Kin-dza-dza ! (1986)

7. Guest from the Future: Ep. 1 (1984)
8. Guest from the Future: Ep. 2 (1984)
9. Guest from the Future: Ep. 3 (1984)
10. Guest from the Future: Ep. 4 (1984)
11. Guest from the Future: Ep. 5 (1984)

Words can barely describe how weird this Russian miniseries is as the plot focuses on a boy led to an abandoned house with a time machine that sends him into the future where he has to protect some new technology, invented by a female scientist his age, from getting into the hands of shapeshifting pirates with laser eyes. Well, there, I tried. There's also a talking goat, some schoolchildren set on launching their own satellite into space to communicate with kids in Australia - oh, and the shapeshifters can walk vertically up walls. The plot becomes pretty goofy during the final three episodes as it focuses on the girl scientist returning to the 20th century while still pursued by the space pirates (there's a bit in which two kids pretend to be one tall adult by wearing a giant trench coat and sitting on the other's shoulders). If not the best narrative out there by a long stretch, the project features some spectacular newfangled sets and costumes. The hallways and doorframes lit up by fluorescent lights are a particular good touch. The girl who plays Alice is wonderfully energetic and precocious too.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » January 8th, 2019, 4:50 am

SpoilerShow
2-13. Semnadtsat mgnoveniy vesny AKA Seventeen Moments of Spring (1973) - Tatyana Lioznova
14. Aelita: Queen of Mars - 1924 - Yakov Protazanov

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 8th, 2019, 5:13 am

sol wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 3:07 am
Words can barely describe how weird this Russian miniseries is as the plot focuses on a boy led to an abandoned house with a time machine that sends him into the future where he has to protect some new technology, invented by a female scientist his age, from getting into the hands of shapeshifting pirates with laser eyes. Well, there, I tried. There's also a talking goat, some schoolchildren set on launching their own satellite into space to communicate with kids in Australia - oh, and the shapeshifters can walk vertically up walls. The plot becomes pretty goofy during the final three episodes as it focuses on the girl scientist returning to the 20th century while still pursued by the space pirates (there's a bit in which two kids pretend to be one tall adult by wearing a giant trench coat and sitting on the other's shoulders). If not the best narrative out there by a long stretch, the project features some spectacular newfangled sets and costumes. The hallways and doorframes lit up by fluorescent lights are a particular good touch. The girl who plays Alice is wonderfully energetic and precocious too.
I'm on episode 2 right now... It reminds me of children's TV shows from my childhood shot with the budget for Dr. Who.
ImageImageImageImage

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 8th, 2019, 5:28 am

1. Po Zakonu

This was on my to-see list for ages. I only knew Kuleshov previously for the Kuleshov effect, so I was ready for a big dose of montage. And yeah, it has editing, but this is really a strong movie because of how it builds psychological tension through lighting and framing.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 8th, 2019, 5:48 am

Time to learn about who's running my countryShow
1. Dom na Trubnoy (1928)
2. Ostrov AKA The Island (2006)
3. Chelovek-Amfibiya AKA Amphibian Man (1962)
4. Ivan the Terrible, Part I (1945)

The set design, the framing, the shadows and just about every aspect of the cinematography were great. I expected as much, and it delivered. The storytelling of the plot itself didn't grab me, but still a very fine film to watch.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » January 8th, 2019, 4:02 pm

3. Pikovaya dama (1916) 4/10
It felt too long, even though the film is only an hour long.

4. Krug vtoroy (1990) 7/10
The Tarkovski vibe is strong on this one, with the pale, almost black an white colors. A very fitting choice for the topic of death and the general tone.
That was my sixth Sokurov, I have to check out more of his films.

SpoilerShow
2. Aelita (1924) 4/10

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » January 8th, 2019, 8:25 pm

3. The Story of Asya Klyachina, who loved but did not marry / Istoriya Asi Klyachinoy, kotoraya lyubila, da ne vyshla zamuzh (Andrei Konchalovsky, 1966) 7

It starts with a child sleeping peacefully in a middle of a wheat field. His parents look for him but are not overconcerned: what could happen to him anyway ? This sets the tone of the film about a village of farmers at rest with a prodigal land and where, despite the hard work and life conditions, everything is a pretext to songs, jokes and colorful anecdotes shared between neighbours. Even pregnant Asya, courted by all except the only man she cares about, is playful as ever. In beautiful black and white, Konchalovsky is using very fluid camera movements that drag you close to the action and make his care and tenderness for the characters all the more obvious.

focus on Russian directors born in the 30sShow
(Tarkovsky, Klimov, Shepitko, Panfilov, German, Konchalovskiy,..).

1. Welcome, or No Trespassing / Dobro pozhalovat, ili Postoronnim vkhod vospreshchen (Elem Klimov, 1964) 8

Charming comedy about a summer camp for kids and the director's arbitrary rules to protect them from questionable dangers, which also serves as a metaphor of USSR and its political system. Camera placement and composition, especially filming crowds, are very inventive and perfectly capturing the contrast between forced discipline and freedom at reach. This is "only" Klimov final graduation work at Moscow's FIlm School but an impressive piece of work nonetheless. And funny.

2. Heat / Znoy (Larisa Shepitko, 1963) 6+

A young graduate is sent to the Kirghiz countryside to help a local community in the fields. His idealism confronts with a rough and headstrong farmer who looks upon the new comer as a threat. Shepitko is taking a naturalistic approach, well in the Russian film tradition, keeping the treatment of all protagonists balanced and depicting the harsh reality of work outside. But somehow, as Shepitko doesn't take a clear stance on whether the graduate brings new ideas and methods for the best of the people (like some propaganda would suggest) or he is a only a subversive element which disturbs a natural order he doesn't fully understand (which is probably the right interpretation but sounds a little naive and conservative), I was not very much engaged into the "heat".

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » January 8th, 2019, 11:07 pm

01. Vesyolye rebyata / Moscow laughs, by Grigori Aleksandrov (1934) 6/10

A silly musical... Visually inventive, but lacks a plot, and many of the jokes didn't work on me.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » January 9th, 2019, 2:48 am

SpoilerShow
14. Aelita: Queen of Mars - 1924 - Yakov Protazanov
15-16. A few shorts [149 minutes]
a. Shakhmatnaya goryachka (Chess Fever) - 1925 - Vsevolod Pudovkin,Nikolai Shpikovsky [short - 28 mini]
b. Ditya bolshogo goroda AKA Child of the Big City (1914) - Yevgeny Bauer [short - 37 min]
c. Kivski Freski (1966) - Sergei Parajanov [short - 15 min]
d. Slava - nam, smert' - vragam (Glory to Us, Death to the Enemy!) - 1914 - Yevgeny Bauer [short - 32 min]
e. Grozy AKA Daydreams (1915) - Yevgeny Bauer [short - 37 min]
17. Vostochnaya elegiya AKA Eastern Elegy/Oriental Elegy (1996) - Aleksandr Sokurov

The Sokurov film was quite interesting. Basically an experimntal documentary where he interviews some old Japanese folks on their youth and feelings about death, turning his questions and their responses into a sort of poem. He combines this with amazing visuals sourced from shots of this old remote Japanese town where the people reside, with his usual cinematographic flair.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 9th, 2019, 3:03 am

2-9. Trotsky (Russia 17, mini, 8 eps @ 50m)

In my youth Trotskyite was the kind of Communist to be, but I've never known much about him. This series definitely has its own tendenz - portrays him as a latter-day Robespierre, maybe. I don't understand enough about post-Soviet Russia to decode the political message but intuit that it's vilification from a different angle than in the Stalinist era. Anyway I guess it's time I read up on him a bit, but not now. Gripping series, anyhow. Streaming on Netflix US.
SpoilerShow
1. Chernaya Molniya / Black lightning (Russia 09) - double
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » January 9th, 2019, 6:38 am

16. Dezertir (1933)
17. Planeta Bur (1962)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 9th, 2019, 9:11 am

2. Solaris (1968)
3. Loveless (2017)
4. Kin-dza-dza ! (1986)

12. Sportloto-82 (1982)

A late career comedy from Leonid Gaidai of The Diamond Arm fame. The plot is too coincidence-heavy to really add up. The gags also vary in effectiveness with some terribly unfunny moments involving stolen spoons, the lack of a can opener and bags falling on heads. Mikhail Pugovkin is very feisty though as the closest the film has to an antagonist and there are several zany bits like Pugovkin forcing his friend to eat oranges in order to coax the truth out of him (!) and popping out of a crate full of money in a dream sequence.

13. Night Watch (2004)

This thriller features some really out-there imagery and pure WTF moments such as a group of shapeshifters shooing away a doll with spider legs while they stop a witch from casting a spell with a frying pan. Unfortunately, it's all very confusing. Based on a 500 page novel, the story is built on a mythology that is too complex to properly flesh out in a film running under two hours, and what can be nutted out feels overly simplistic in terms of good and evil. The frenzied and constantly moving camerawork does the story a disservice too.

14. Cinderella (1947)

Shot in vivid colour and full of simple but effective special effects, this Russian version of the classic fairytale is pleasant if not especially remarkable. The best thing that it has going its favour is the way the King is frequently played for laughs, constantly wanting to run away and join a monastery and bantering with his guards like something out of a Monty Python sketch.The costumes are pretty nifty too and the interior sets and not half-bad, though at least half of the exterior shots feature noticeably painted backgrounds that never once look real.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 10th, 2019, 3:28 am

2. Solaris (1968)
3. Loveless (2017)
4. Kin-dza-dza ! (1986)
12. Sportloto-82 (1982)
13. Night Watch (2004)
14. Cinderella (1947)

15. Elena (2011)

While it never quite enters full thriller mode, this is a surprisingly intense ride with Nadezhda Markina excellent as title character who finds her morals and nerves tested. There are also some interesting dynamics at play in how ungrateful the grandson is, how much his father (her son) sponges off her, and how she still feels compelled to support them. Zvyagintsev's extremely long takes are not always advantageous here, full of shots that dwell for a long time on minor characters performing menial tasks. Great throbbing Philip Glass score though.
Image Image Image

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 10th, 2019, 5:57 am

10.-14. Guest from the Future (1985). TV Miniseries, 5 episodes of 1+ hour each. I didn't really care for this one. It's 4 hours of needless chase scenes and only one hour of actual plot development. I guess it's fine for kids, but I was bored for much of the time.

SpoilerShow
5.-9. The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed (1979). TV Miniseries.
10.-14. Guest from the Future (1985). TV Miniseries.
ImageImageImageImage

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » January 10th, 2019, 6:42 am

18. Priklyucheniya Sherloka Kholmsa i doktora Vatsona: Sobaka Baskerviley (1981) Ep 01
19. Priklyucheniya Sherloka Kholmsa i doktora Vatsona: Sobaka Baskerviley (1981) Ep 02

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » January 10th, 2019, 12:26 pm

5. Igla (1988) 5/10

6. Solntse (2005) 6/10
Issei Ogata gives a great performance as Hirohito in the last days of WWII, even though Der Untergang (2004) comes to mind the two films are very different, for example Solntse takes place in the emperor palace, cut from the destruction surrounding. Hirohito is also a very restraint character, sensible and fascinating to watch.
SpoilerShow
2. Aelita (1924) 4/10
5. Igla (1988) 5/10
6. Solntse (2005) 6/10

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » January 11th, 2019, 1:00 am

SpoilerShow
1. Brat/Brother (1997) 6/10
2. Vysota (1957) 4.5/10
3. Sto dney posle detstva/One Hundred Days After Childhood (1975) 6/10
4. Chastnaya zhizn/Private Life (1982) 5.5/10
5. Assa (1988) 6/10
6. Sudba cheloveka/Fate of a Man/Destiny of a Man (1959) 6/10
7. Beg/The Flight (1971) 5/10

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 11th, 2019, 3:02 am

10. The desert of forbidden art (Russia/US/Uzbekistan 10)

This blew me away. Documentary about a man who devoted his life to creating a museum of non-Socialist Realist art by Soviet-Era artists in a remote corner of Uzbekistan, and about some of the artists represented therein. (I'm not really a connoisseur of art but at any given time I can remember 5 of the 6 principles of Socialist Realism.)

SpoilerShow
1. Chernaya Molniya / Black lightning (Russia 09) - double
10. The desert of forbidden art (Russia/US/Uzbekistan 10)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 11th, 2019, 4:45 am

2. Solaris (1968)
3. Loveless (2017)
4. Kin-dza-dza ! (1986)
12. Sportloto-82 (1982)
13. Night Watch (2004)
14. Cinderella (1947)
15. Elena (2011)

16. Gamlet (1964)

Shot at an actual seaside castle, this might well be the most cinematic Hamlet to date, never once feeling like a confined stage play.The natural exteriors are used to perfectly moody effect as waves crash against shores and the father's ghost appears eerie against natural nighttime backdrops. The film's best aspect is the gorgeous black and white photography with the palace often shot from disquieting low camera angles and as Hamlet's face is cut partially off screen at times as he walks and ponders. The music is beautiful too.
Image Image Image

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 11th, 2019, 4:53 am

alright, sorry for the delay in updating the table, folks. I've had a wonky shoulder the last while and have had difficulty typing, or, doing anything.

товарищи:
рангтоварищфильмы
1jeroeno19
2weirdboy17
3sol16
4Knaldskalle14
53eyes10
6allisoncm7
7clemmetarey6
7jdidaco6
9maxwelldeux4
10hurluberlu3
10St. Gloede3
12albajos1
12blocho1
12cinephage1
12flavo50001
12mightysparks1
17funkybusiness0

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 11th, 2019, 4:55 am

sol wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:11 am
14. Cinderella (1947)
Shot in vivid colour and full of simple but effective special effects, this Russian version of the classic fairytale is pleasant if not especially remarkable. The best thing that it has going its favour is the way the King is frequently played for laughs, constantly wanting to run away and join a monastery and bantering with his guards like something out of a Monty Python sketch.The costumes are pretty nifty too and the interior sets and not half-bad, though at least half of the exterior shots feature noticeably painted backgrounds that never once look real.
sorry to break it to ya, buddy, but Zolushka was shot in black and white, you watched a colorization. but if there's one thing the Russians have on Ted Turner, it's colorizations, they tend to nail it. I watched Tsirk (1936) in a colorization yesterday and it's a pretty decent job as well.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 11th, 2019, 4:56 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 5:57 am
10.-14. Guest from the Future (1985). TV Miniseries, 5 episodes of 1+ hour each. I didn't really care for this one. It's 4 hours of needless chase scenes and only one hour of actual plot development. I guess it's fine for kids, but I was bored for much of the time.
so...it's classic Doctor Who?
*runs away, ironically starting a Doctor Who montage*

edit: actually, I see above that you mentioned Doctor Who. so. yeah.