Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2006 (Results), Directors (Jan 3rd), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

2019 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

jdidaco

Re: 2019 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

Post by jdidaco » November 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:35 pm
The only thing with banned films in December is that, especially with the emphasis on video nasties, it's very close to the horror challenge thematically. Cult/grindhouse was usually in the summer and offered a nice buffer so it wasn't wall to wall horror.
Yes, absolutely agree there, one of the reasons Lakigigar's suggestion of merging Video Nasties with Cult/Grindhouse/Drive-In seems very reasonable. Looking into the lists you pointed to, I found the Wikipedia one nearly unusable - it even contradicts the broadness some wish to be push away in the challenges, it's a list that has everything and nothing. As for the Video Nasties themselves they're 152 as you noted, all of them covered by the horror and/or sci-fi/fantasy challenges, and with several titles not even worthy to be seen on the low IMDb rating challenge. Please some variety here, not broadness.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 2:58 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:39 pm
I rather agree with flavo. Having Banned Film/Video Nasty doesn't appeal to me in Christmas month, to be honest. Wonder how others feel about that. I particularly loved Conquering the World when it was last held in December. It made for a very interesting and rewarding way to bring the curtain down on a year. Would switching those two create too much potential overlap between Video Nasty and Sci-Fi/Fantasy for your taste?
Okay, let's place Conquering the World in December because it worked well in 2017.

Not so sure about Video Nasty with Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Could work since most of the nasties were horror, weren't they? Let's see what else we can place in January.
OldAle1 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:45 pm
* personally don't really like Low Rating alongside Noir - what, I'm going to have to choose? And really liked the former in January this past year. But I realize if one is trying NOT to give as many opportunities for triples & doubles....
The other option, rather than have Low IMDb Rating against Noir, is to have Unofficial against Noir since most noirs are official. This would allow us to then throw Low IMDb Rating wherever we want. Not in January again (to avoid the same doubles as last year) but somewhere else for sure.
peeptoad wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:48 pm
I do like the banned films challenge idea though, so I hope it can find a spot on the calendar (and it "won" a spot per the poll anyway).
Yes, it did win spot and I am not open to merging it with Low IMDb Rating. There are plenty of banned films by any definition as per the links I have provided above.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 5th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Mmm, there are plenty of unofficial noirs actually - in fact I've started off this month with 5 of them. I think unofficial works alongside anything actually and noir would be fine.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:05 pm

jdidaco wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm
Yes, absolutely agree there, one of the reasons Lakigigar's suggestion of merging Video Nasties with Cult/Grindhouse/Drive-In seems very reasonable. Looking into the lists you pointed to, I found the Wikipedia one nearly unusable
I don't know, I haven't had the time to investigate things in depth, but just looking at the size of zzzorf's Australian banned films list, I can't imagine the pool of films available for the Challenge to being too small to choose from.

As it is, C/G/D-I is the pretty much the one challenge where one can watch whatever one wants to that isn't a Hollywood blockbuster and making that Challenge even broader just doesn't appeal to me in the least. Personally speaking, I prefer my challenges to be more challenging - a sentiment clearly echoed here with all the hate for the decade challenges (which are actually something I support, but that's a different issue).

But -- quite aside from all that -- we want six new Challenges this year in each section. So, bringing C/G/D-I into play isn't really an option. Vetoing Banned Films and adding One Per Year into the mix instead is an option, but considering that the Banned Films option is the only new option that was suggested this year (not in prior years) to make it into our lineup, surely we should just pay the 21 voters some respect and include it unadulterated?
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:07 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:03 pm
Mmm, there are plenty of unofficial noirs actually - in fact I've started off this month with 5 of them. I think unofficial works alongside anything actually and noir would be fine.
Cool. Will amend...
Image Image Image

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » November 5th, 2018, 3:11 pm

All fine, sol, but, honestly, what I'm seeing at this moment, with all the lists you provided, is that, in short, the Banned Films/Video Nasties challenge, as potentially interesting as it is, is looking for me more and more like an inferior (not to mention bad) imitation of the C/G/D-I one. Its okay.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 5th, 2018, 3:12 pm

sol wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:58 pm
Yes, it did win spot and I am not open to merging it with Low IMDb Rating. There are plenty of banned films by any definition as per the links I have provided above.
I agree. That list zzzorf posted looks fantastic. I also like the decade challenges (kind of agree with what beatnik said about them), but I understand if peeps want something a bit more constraining too.
Also, and this is just a thought so feel free to tell me to jump in the lake, if there are any gaps left towards the end of this process I did like the idea of the Winter/Snow Challenge, but that one might reek of "unofficial" status, ha ha. You could also put everything that "lost" on the polls into a randomizer and have one wildcard challenge per year. That way some of the losers get represented. I support the underdogs in life. :party:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:18 pm

peeptoad wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:12 pm
sol wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I agree. That list zzzorf posted looks fantastic. I also like the decade challenges (kind of agree with what beatnik said about them), but I understand if peeps want something a bit more constraining too.
Also, and this is just a thought so feel free to tell me to jump in the lake, if there are any gaps left towards the end of this process I did like the idea of the Winter/Snow Challenge, but that one might reek of "unofficial" status, ha ha. You could also put everything that "lost" on the polls into a randomizer and have one wildcard challenge per year. That way some of the losers get represented. I support the underdogs in life. :party:
Well, I'm going to nominate Christmas movies as a Theme next year, so that might have a better chance of getting us something wintery to watch. ;)

I was also going to mention:
peeptoad wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:48 pm
Romance in February? That's cliche (and I hate Valentine's day as a holiday), but... Chinese New Year is also February 5th, so that's another option.
Trouble with that is that we want a Genre month in between each Decade month. We could, however, place Romance in March (when the romantic comedy blockbusters are still in cinemas) and move War into the blank slot later in the year.

Yes, I'm okay to add China in that month if everyone wants that.
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 5th, 2018, 3:19 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
* also agree on banned/video nasty not being the best for December. And somebody up-thread mentioned combining it with Low Rating, which I'd echo; many of them are low-rated anyway, and those that aren't would give a nice alternative for people who want to do that challenge but don't want to watch nothing but shlock (perhaps a silly notion, but there are many silly notions around here).

* personally don't really like Low Rating alongside Noir - what, I'm going to have to choose? And really liked the former in January this past year. But I realize if one is trying NOT to give as many opportunities for triples & doubles...

* Romance in December would make more sense to me; it'd be lovely to get "credit" for watching holiday movies for once. But I'd imagine I'm in the extreme minority there, putting it out anyway.
Low Rating in January and paired with Banned/Nasties. I rather like that! Might as well pair them together.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:25 pm

November 5th, 2018, 3:19 pm
Low Rating in January and paired with Banned/Nasties. I rather like that! Might as well pair them together.
Well, neither of those things are going to happen. Unless we move Sci-Fi/Fantasy out of January to achieve different doubles in that month to last year.

Actually, I'm totally fine having Sci-Fi/Fantasy in a different month. Someone just said that it was tradition to have it during January?

There are plenty of banned films out there, so there is no need to merge it with any other challenge (see discussions, links, etc above).

EDIT: I also suspect that it is a fallacy that most banned films have low IMDb ratings. Just looking at zzzorf's list, 34 titles there would be ineligible in the Low IMDb Rating Challenge. That's almost half the list!

Damn, I'm never going to get to bed tonight with everyone deciding to suddenly become active on this thread all of a sudden. :think:
Image Image Image

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 5th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Flanders national holiday is also in July. It would fit for a subsequent poll in august to organize and i think as it's probably one of the least popular country challenges this year that july would be a good fit. Only downside of it is that the French challenge may be organized in june, while the Benelux has a lot of Walloon movies (french-speaking movies), so maybe the French challenge doesn't need to be organized in june, while linking it with Cannes might create too easy doubles again.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 5th, 2018, 3:33 pm

sol wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:25 pm
November 5th, 2018, 3:19 pm
Well, neither of those things are going to happen. Unless we move Sci-Fi/Fantasy out of January to achieve different doubles in that month to last year.

Actually, I'm totally fine having Sci-Fi/Fantasy in a different month. Someone just said that it was tradition to have it during January?

There are plenty of banned films out there, so there is no need to merge it with any other challenge (see discussions, links, etc above).

Damn, I'm never going to get to bed tonight with everyone deciding to suddenly become active on this thread all of a sudden. :think:
Sorry, I posted that without reading the last few posts. I was responding to Ale and didn't word things well.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm

November 5th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Sorry, I posted that without reading the last few posts. I was responding to Ale and didn't word things well.
No problem - this thread is certainly getting a little messy to navigate through. Where is 72a's random generator when you need it?

(no, I'm only joking 72a; we're still doing fine)
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:32 pm
Flanders national holiday is also in July. It would fit for a subsequent poll in august to organize and i think as it's probably one of the least popular country challenges this year that july would be a good fit.
Okay, let's place Benelux in July for the moment. :thumbsup: And yes, we'll look to NOT have France in June.
Image Image Image

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 5th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Low rating and banned are both theme challenges, so i don't know why a genre challenge should be removed?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:39 pm
Low rating and banned are both theme challenges, so i don't know why a genre challenge should be removed?
Assuming you're talking about Sci-Fi/Fantasy, we do not want to run it side-by-side with Low IMDb Rating again. It would mean the same doubles.

So, if Low IMDb Rating goes in January, SFI/F needs to be moved elsewhere. Moved. Not removed.
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 5th, 2018, 3:49 pm

sol wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:25 pm
I'll keep my trap shut then... tehe :sleeping:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Okay, guys - it's reached the point in the evening where I am going to have make my way towards bed, otherwise I'll never be able to get up in the morning. I may still pop around here over the next few minutes. Maybe so, maybe not.

While I would love to guarantee that I will wake up early enough in the morning to pop in here, I simply can't guaranteed it. But I'll try to leave work promptly tomorrow so that I can return to the discussions ASAP.

In short - take this as advanced warning that I might not be active on this thread for 16-18 hours. If I'm not posting here, it does not mean that I am ignoring the discussions. I'll even try to check the boards on my phone at work once or twice, but I'm not skilled enough at typing on my phone, so any responses will have wait until I get home to check my laptop. I am not ignoring you if I don't reply sooner than that time frame.

Thanks in advanced everyone for your patience and understanding in this matter!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 5th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:39 pm
Yes, I realised that shortly after posting it. They might go well together but they have been termed themes. I actually quite like the idea of having the Banned/Nasties Challenge in January with Sci-Fi Fantasy.
That's all, folks!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 5th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Well, I hope you're asleep now. I said I'd keep quiet, but I'm waiting for a researcher to show up for the project I said I'd assist with, so...

... just this and then I'm outta here:

Australia/NZ/Oceania- February
China/HK/Taiwan- March
Eastern Europe- December
France- April
Japan- June
UK/Ireland- August

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 5th, 2018, 4:35 pm

It might be polite to Allison to keep France and Women Directors in different months - or at least mention a potential clash before finalising things. Doesn't she usually host those two challenges?

But, yes, I like those placements - particularly UK/Ireland with 400 Checks and Eastern Europe with Conquering the World.
That's all, folks!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm

All is open to adjustment. Mainly I was trying to keep France away from Benelux and Japan away from Korea... just to space the Asian regions a bit.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 5th, 2018, 5:51 pm

peeptoad wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Well, I hope you're asleep now. I said I'd keep quiet, but I'm waiting for a researcher to show up for the project I said I'd assist with, so...

... just this and then I'm outta here:

Australia/NZ/Oceania- February
China/HK/Taiwan- March
Eastern Europe- December
France- April
Japan- June
UK/Ireland- August
What i would propose:
China/HK/Taiwan - february (Chinese New Year)
France (march)
Eastern Europe (april) - so that we can link an ICM own poll/list to it in may.
Australia/NZ/Oceania - December (Because we've had it quite recently, and it would fit better).

Alternatively, we can schedule an ICM own poll on Eastern Europe in january 2020 (and lock it up already). I think i'm going to propose it. I think it's been done last time in 2014, so it's likely it will be redone next year or at least soon, and we can always move Eastern Europe to a different month back if that's not the case.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 5th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 5:51 pm

What i would propose:
China/HK/Taiwan - february (Chinese New Year)
France (march)
Eastern Europe (april) - so that we can link an ICM own poll/list to it in may.
Australia/NZ/Oceania - December (Because we've had it quite recently, and it would fit better).

Alternatively, we can schedule an ICM own poll on Eastern Europe in january 2020 (and lock it up already). I think i'm going to propose it. I think it's been done last time in 2014, so it's likely it will be redone next year or at least soon, and we can always move Eastern Europe to a different month back if that's not the case.
I meant to place China in February for New Year's, not March... that's what I get for typing on my phone while at work.
Seems fine to me. :thumbsup:

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 5th, 2018, 6:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2469

I thought it was done last time in 2014, but it's been done in 2016, so i think Eastern Europe in december together with Conquering the World would be best after all. Australian Summer is in february but it conflicts with Chinese New Year.

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » November 5th, 2018, 8:00 pm

It was mentioned above combining the countries with their national holidays (such as China for Chinese New Year). I will just point out that Australia Day is in January but we do share a holiday with fellow challenge country Nee Zealand commemerating our war heroes (ANZAC Day) in April. Both these months defeat having it at the later in the year.

Also I wish to point out again my banned list of movies is incomplete and will have plenty more added to it before the challenge if I get around to doing it.

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 5th, 2018, 8:25 pm

OldAle1 wrote:

* Romance in December would make more sense to me; it'd be lovely to get "credit" for watching holiday movies for once. But I'd imagine I'm in the extreme minority there, putting it out anyway.
Yes, Romance in December seems right. Holiday feeling and all that :D

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 5th, 2018, 8:34 pm

zzzorf wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 8:00 pm
It was mentioned above combining the countries with their national holidays (such as China for Chinese New Year). I will just point out that Australia Day is in January but we do share a holiday with fellow challenge country Nee Zealand commemerating our war heroes (ANZAC Day) in April. Both these months defeat having it at the later in the year.
Australia / NZ seems fine in april. It would mean that the French challenge wouldn't have to be held during the Directed by Women challenge (organized by the same user apparently).

Italy (as left-over if all other countries aren't moved) would be placed in september together with silent era & 21st century, and it's likely to have it's poll next year (cause last time it's been done was in 2015). But Germany has been done this year in september as well and had a poll in october.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 5th, 2018, 11:14 pm

Okay, so I managed to get to sleep AND get up early enough to check this thread. Here is what I have done based on suggestions "overnight":

China/HK/Taiwan ---> added to February
Australia ---> added to April
France ---> added to March
UK/Ireland ---> added to August

Banned Films ---> added to January after double checking the Video Nasty list (only 8 are tagged as Sci-Fi; none are tagged as Fantasy on iCM)

Not comfortable with Eastern Europe being in December since that would overlap significantly with Conquering the World.

This means that (as far as I can tell) the only Challenges without consensus of where to place them at the moment are:

- Eastern Europe
- Italy
- Japan
(I'm fine with either Italy or Japan being in December and East Europe being in either of the remaining slots)

- Romance
- War
(do we want Romance in March when all the Valentine's Day films are still in cinemas or do we want war aptly between 1930s and 1940s?)

- In Competition at Cannes
- Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials
- Low IMDb Rating
(I'm still suggesting June for Cannes - apt since the 2019 festival will have just ended by the time the Challenge begins)
(this would leave July open for Low IMDb Rating and I think still the popular Rosenbaum Challenge would go well against Horror)

Need to leave for work soon-ish (and I still have stuff to do before leaving) but I'll be back in around 10 hours so same deal applies, i.e. I'm not ignoring you if I don't respond to you straight away etc.
Image Image Image

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 5th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Not comfortable with Eastern Europe being in December since that would overlap significantly with Conquering the World.
EE has more independent countries than any other region, so that's really in contrast with your logic.

Of course if you exclude all countries that were included in previous polls, you're basically left with Baltic states only + Belarus and that makes sense.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 5th, 2018, 11:41 pm

I can see your thinking on keeping Eastern Europe and Conquering the World apart. That was what made me rather fancy them together in December! But, yes, if doubles and triples are not flavour of the month, it's obviously the thing to do to keep them apart.

I like the look of War in March and Romance in August.

I'd prefer Eastern Europe in June rather than December (my peccadilloes for potential doubles/triples showing through once again!).

I don't really have any preferences as to where the others are placed.

Looks very good! Nice work, Sol. Thanks for your amazing efforts!
That's all, folks!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 6th, 2018, 3:11 am

I hate to drop in on to comment on banned films again but I'm not fond of it in January either (or I'm not fond of Sci-fi/Fantasy in January). Basically my earlier point still stands that it'd be good to space out the genre challenges and have either banned films or scifi/fantasy in the middle of the year with horror coming in where it usually is toward the end. Maybe switch Sci-fi and 1950s?

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 6th, 2018, 7:54 am

1. December : Conquer the World vs Documentary vs Italy
2. Also I think Rosenbaum should be in January, Video Nasty against Sci-Fi Fantasy is doubling heaven.
3. I'd put Cannes against the 40's because the competion began in 1950, no overlap there.
4. June : 1950's vs Eastern Europe vs Video Nasty
5. October : Horror vs Latin America vs Female Directors
6. July: Benelux vs. Mystery/Thriller vs. Low IMDB Rating
7. September : Japan vs Silent Era vs 21st Century

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 6th, 2018, 9:27 am

Okay - I've just had a go at actioning all of the suggestions made in the last 10 hours.

This has allowed us to generate a first DRAFT schedule with all challenge options filled in. As Lonewolf has suggested, it might be wise to see the final Poll Schedule before setting this in stone, but at least we have something in place for the moment.

I'm still happy to continue taking feedback, but after spending the better part of four days attending to this thread whenever I was not at work, I'll probably be checking in here less often over the next few days.

Thanks everyone for your input and (mostly) civilised discussion. Human interaction: 1 / Random Generator: 0. ;)
Image Image Image

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 6th, 2018, 12:13 pm

MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 6th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Looks pretty solid to me.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 6th, 2018, 3:58 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 12:13 pm
MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS
LOUD NOISES!

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 6th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Looks wonderful! I'm particularly looking forward to February, March, June, August and December.

My only concern is the pairing of Women Directors with Horror. As far as I can make out it has been tradition to hold the former in an earlier month. I know that the thinking is to hold something popular against the behemoth that is the Horror Challenge but I would be tempted to switch Women Directors with either Cannes or TSPDT/TSPDT 21st Cent.

How do others feel about that suggestion? Everything else is great!

:cheers:
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on November 6th, 2018, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 6th, 2018, 4:22 pm

I would back moving Cannes (i thought this was held in june) with the women directors in October.

I'll try to participate in more challenges next year. I might participate in sci-fi/fantasy, AA Nominees, France, TSPDT, Benelux, <400 + romance, Japan + 21st century, horror and Korean + unofficial. And i'll probably watch a few Iranian and Oceanian movies as well. Benelux is my most important challenge next year.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » November 6th, 2018, 6:05 pm

-I would put Cannes in May, in sync with festival, TsPDt in Oct and Women in April
-Not sure if there was any discussion on DtC noms with Angel yet but I would keep the option to adjust the timeline a bit (make it an end Feb-mid April as it used to be when unofficial instead of strictly march)

The rest really looks like a fine job !
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage