Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st->Mar 24th)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

2019 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Re: 2019 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 6th, 2018, 6:24 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 6:05 pm
-I would put Cannes in May, in sync with festival, TsPDt in Oct and Women in April
I second this heartily. It would keep France and Women Directors in that traditional two-month window during Spring. Cannes alongside the actual festival is nice. TSPDT in October would make sense as well. I hope this gets the go-ahead.
That's all, folks!

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 6th, 2018, 7:46 pm

So far it looks great. Latin America will have a tough time competing with both Horror and Women Directors but then again, there are a lot of great Latin American female directors out there to explore. I

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 6th, 2018, 7:54 pm

The more I think about them the more I like Hurluberlu's suggested amendments. Women directors following on from France and then segueing into Cannes would make for a lovely flow between challenges over the course of those three Spring months.
That's all, folks!

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 6th, 2018, 8:49 pm

This looks OK to me - there are a few months where there are pairs of challenges that I would rather not see together but with some doubles I can make them work and enjoy them both. All in all, I feel it's a very strong challenge season for 2019 with lots of variety to choose from and not a dead month.

:cheers:

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 6th, 2018, 9:12 pm

yes, i would like to participate in Latin American challenge as well, but my priority in october is going to be horror (sorry), although this year i haven't participated as much as i wanted too.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 6th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:12 pm
yes, i would like to participate in Latin American challenge as well, but my priority in october is going to be horror (sorry), although this year i haven't participated as much as i wanted too.
FYI, there are some excellent Latin American horror movies. ;)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 6th, 2018, 11:11 pm

Adjusted:
Cannes ---> May
Female Directors ---> April
TSP + TSP 21C ---> October

Can somebody else please contact Angel? I'm too busy at the moment.

Question is whether he is prepared to extend the voting (not nominating) deadline for the DTC until the end of April. If the answer is yes, we'll flip DTC and Female Directors around.

And we are NOT holding the DTC Challenge over three separate months. I'm pretty sure that I answered this earlier in the thread.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 7th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Wouldn't people want to see TSPDT movies when the list is released? And after a 21st century challenge we will hold a (partly) TSP 21st century challenge in October? (some of us have seen the entire TSP list).

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 7th, 2018, 2:23 pm

There's no perfect answer. I understand your argument - but I also understand the views made by (and supported by) others here. I think the schedule as it stands has enough variety to offer everyone something of interest each month.

The 21st century options are obviously very popular, but if that's too much recent stuff for you, I'd recommend on focusing on the two other challenges in either September or October.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 7th, 2018, 2:36 pm

I'd vote not to change anything anymore. Who's with me? :ICM:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 7th, 2018, 3:02 pm

jeroeno wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 2:36 pm
:ICM:

(unless Angel agrees to extend the DTC voting until the end of April, but of course everybody's too scared to ask him, so I doubt that I will happen)
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 7th, 2018, 3:03 pm

jeroeno wrote:
Aye, aye. Gets a big tick in the box from me as well.
That's all, folks!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » November 7th, 2018, 4:51 pm

I say put the discussion on hold until the poll discussion gets closer to a conclusion. There's no real need to finalize everything 1.5 months before the start of the year.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 7th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Looks good to me. Very few possibilities for triples overall but a fair number for doubles, and I think that's quite reasonable. Awesome work sol!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 7th, 2018, 5:40 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 10:58 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:12 pm
FYI, there are some excellent Latin American horror movies. ;)
I know, but i will probably be focusing on other horror movies that are on my watchlist. Plenty of must-see movies i have to see yet, and i just wasn't very much in the mood for watching movies throughout october this year There might be some i would give a shot like Santa Sagre but that's about it. I'd like to participate in a Latin American challenge once, but it probably won't be for next year, cause october is too crowded (especially with the addition of TSP challenge in october next to horror). And it might not be chosen in 2020, so i'll probably have to wait until 2021. But I'll try to aim to participate in at least the Benelux and Korean challenge for the country challenges (and probably Japan as well).
sol wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 2:23 pm
The 21st century options are obviously very popular, but if that's too much recent stuff for you, I'd recommend on focusing on the two other challenges in either September or October.
Yes, i'd like to participate on TSP challenge, but even if i'll participate in a challenge, i'll go all-in for horror challenge. [There are some horror movies from the TSP lists i have to watch yet though].

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » November 7th, 2018, 6:41 pm

sol wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 11:11 pm
And we are NOT holding the DTC Challenge over three separate months. I'm pretty sure that I answered this earlier in the thread.
What's the issue with that ?
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 8th, 2018, 12:27 am

jeroeno wrote:
I'll add my vote to jeroeno & Roger - looks solid. :ICM:

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 8th, 2018, 4:17 pm

I agree it looks great... :ICM:
Thanks for all your work on this, sol

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » November 30th, 2018, 11:38 pm

FYI, I host the Films Directed by Women Challenge in March. Whether or not it is official, isn't of any consequence. I hosted it for many years unofficially. I'm not mad, but I wasn't contacted and I wasn't around in early November. I don't mind when the French challenge is: if it's in March or any other month. I would host one or both (unless someone wanted to take over France, that's fine as well). If there's an unofficial Films Directed by Women Challenge in March and official one in April, it would be weird, but fine if you decided the official one remains in April.
maxwelldeux wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 5:41 am

- On scheduling, I like where you have tentatively slotted things. I like continuing traditions where they exist. I really like keeping Directed by Women in Women's History Month; I'd rather move DtC to April; perhaps the deadline there could be extended a few days to the end of the month?
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:35 pm
It might be polite to Allison to keep France and Women Directors in different months - or at least mention a potential clash before finalising things. Doesn't she usually host those two challenges?

But, yes, I like those placements - particularly UK/Ireland with 400 Checks and Eastern Europe with Conquering the World.
sol wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 3:23 pm
In the meantime, I am going to flick Female Directors out of March, since while it would be nice to coincide the challenge with Women's History Month, it's not essential.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 1st, 2018, 2:31 am

My position throughout November was that if someone was brave enough to ask Angel to extend the voting period for the DTC until the end of April, then I would flip the Directed by Women and DTC Nominee Challenges around. Either nobody was brave enough, nobody thought it was important enough, or nobody had enough free time to embark on this pursuit, which is why the two Challenges have been left where they currently are. Here are some options that I see going forward:

OPTION 1
Somebody contacts Angel, convinces him to extend the DTC voting period until the end of April, and we flip Female Directors and DTC around.

OPTION 2
Flip Female Directors and DTC and just accept that participation in the DTC Challenge will decline a few days in when the DTC voting period ends.

OPTION 3
We decide to have two Theme Challenges in March: Female Directors and DTC Nominees. We then move War into the then-vacated Theme slot in April.

OPTION 4
We allow both the Female Directors and DTC Challenge to last for two whole months. This may cause issues with max's stats/awards though.

OPTION 5
We leave things as it is and have an Unofficial and an Official Female Directors Challenge in consecutive months.

I'm happy to go with whichever of these options most people want. :)

I think the most logical option is probably...
SpoilerShow
...Option 3 unless somebody does end up contacting Angel.
Image Image Image

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » December 1st, 2018, 2:53 am

I prefer option 2.

Option 3 is less desirable, but also acceptable.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 1st, 2018, 3:18 am

sol wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 2:31 am
My position throughout November was that if someone was brave enough to ask Angel to extend the voting period for the DTC until the end of April, then I would flip the Directed by Women and DTC Nominee Challenges around. Either nobody was brave enough, nobody thought it was important enough, or nobody had enough free time to embark on this pursuit, which is why the two Challenges have been left where they currently are.
Ah yes. A classic example of "diffusion of responsibility."

I've just sent a PM to Angel asking to extend the DtC voting deadline to the end of April.

DtC voting went to April 25 last year, so even if Angel says "no" or can't accommodate this (I know we're not the only forum who votes), I think we can live with declined challenge participation for the last few days of the month.

So... Option 1 for me, Option 2 as a backup, Option 3 is my begrudging 3rd pick.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » December 1st, 2018, 3:39 am

Even if the deadline is April 25th, people can still submit updates until the final reveal is over, so I don't see the need to extend it.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 1st, 2018, 3:40 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 3:18 am
Ah yes. A classic example of "diffusion of responsibility."

I've just sent a PM to Angel asking to extend the DtC voting deadline to the end of April.

DtC voting went to April 25 last year, so even if Angel says "no" or can't accommodate this (I know we're not the only forum who votes), I think we can live with declined challenge participation for the last few days of the month.

So... Option 1 for me, Option 2 as a backup, Option 3 is my begrudging 3rd pick.
Thanks, max. Just watched a couple of short documentaries about "diffusion of responsibility" on YouTube. Interesting stuff - and I now want a full-length documentary to watch for the December Official Challenge. :D

I've just gone through the DTC history, and not only are you right about the April 25 deadline last year, the deadline has actually been extending by a few days every year since the project was run on this forum. From the looks of things, the last time that Angel had an early April finish was more than five years ago when the project was only run on the IMDb message boards.

With that in mind, I'm making the executive decision of moving DTC Nominees to April and Female Directors to March. Unless anybody objects?

P.S.: I'll try to get up the December Rules & Ideas discussion thread for 2019 later on today. I would really like to finish watching my first December viewing first though. :whistling:
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 1st, 2018, 4:51 am

sol wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 3:40 am
Thanks, max. Just watched a couple of short documentaries about "diffusion of responsibility" on YouTube. Interesting stuff - and I now want a full-length documentary to watch for the December Official Challenge. :D
Heh. Psych 335: Social Psychology for me. I know that at least for me, I assumed someone who knew Angel better than I would send the message. :shrug:

And since you asked... The Witness (2015). It's the story of Kitty Genovese, who was stabbed to death in front of 38 people who did nothing. Her story is taught in social psych (at least in the US) as a famous example of diffusion of responsibility - everyone thought someone else would do something. This concept is why my professor said he'd rather fall off his bike in front of one person instead of 10. And why you should never yell "someone call an ambulance", but instead say "You - call an ambulance".

(Note: I haven't seen that doc, so I don't know if it's good or not.)
(Note 2: Sorry for nerding all over everyone.)
sol wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 3:40 am
With that in mind, I'm making the executive decision of moving DTC Nominees to April and Female Directors to March. Unless anybody objects?
No objections here. Only thing I'd suggest is pinging the 2019 Poll Schedule thread so they know of the change.

Also, thanks allisoncm for prompting this!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » December 1st, 2018, 5:47 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:51 am
No objections here. Only thing I'd suggest is pinging the 2019 Poll Schedule thread so they know of the change.
More diffusion of responsibility? :turned:

And thanks for the doc recommendation.
Image Image Image

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » December 1st, 2018, 7:25 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:51 am
Also, thanks allisoncm for prompting this!
And thanks to sol for accommodating.

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » December 1st, 2018, 9:29 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 3:39 am
Even if the deadline is April 25th, people can still submit updates until the final reveal is over, so I don't see the need to extend it.
That's true. additional votes were still received on May 5. ;)

DtC dates depend on TSPDT update dates, but it can be easily accommodated, no problem.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » December 1st, 2018, 6:58 pm

I'm glad to see that Directed By Women is getting moved to Allison's traditional month of March which is also Women's History Month in America and March 8th is International Women's Day. Although she said she would be willing to host two challenges in a month it looks like France could easily be swapped with Australia/NZ/Oceania or another country so that she doesn't have to do this. Just a thought...

Mochard

Post by Mochard » December 30th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Is the 2019 challenge schedule anywhere to view? I must be blind but I can't seem to find it!

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » December 30th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Mochard wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 5:47 pm
Is the 2019 challenge schedule anywhere to view? I must be blind but I can't seem to find it!
OP on P1
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Mochard

Post by Mochard » December 30th, 2018, 6:10 pm

OK Thanks 3eyes - I found it :)

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » December 30th, 2018, 6:11 pm

psychotronicbeatnik wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 6:58 pm
I'm glad to see that Directed By Women is getting moved to Allison's traditional month of March which is also Women's History Month in America and March 8th is International Women's Day. Although she said she would be willing to host two challenges in a month it looks like France could easily be swapped with Australia/NZ/Oceania or another country so that she doesn't have to do this. Just a thought...
Either way is cool. I don't have to host France, but I will if there are no volunteers.