Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

1>500<400 Challenge - unofficial, ongoing

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

Re: 1>500<400 Challenge - unofficial, ongoing

#81

Post by maxwelldeux » November 22nd, 2018, 4:37 pm

clemmetarey wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 3:58 pm
I think it's best to wait for at least another month. Personally, I'm far from being done. So far, on average every user has seen about 2.4 films out of 23, I think it's very low.
I'll bring that average up once I actually start watching films for this challenge (which I've been putting off to watch films for the ICMFF).

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#82

Post by clemmetarey » November 22nd, 2018, 8:49 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 4:37 pm
clemmetarey wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 3:58 pm
I think it's best to wait for at least another month. Personally, I'm far from being done. So far, on average every user has seen about 2.4 films out of 23, I think it's very low.
I'll bring that average up once I actually start watching films for this challenge (which I've been putting off to watch films for the ICMFF).
When you do, there's a certain polish film that needs some love :whistling:

blocho
Donator
Posts: 1799
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#83

Post by blocho » November 23rd, 2018, 2:33 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 4:37 pm
clemmetarey wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 3:58 pm
I think it's best to wait for at least another month. Personally, I'm far from being done. So far, on average every user has seen about 2.4 films out of 23, I think it's very low.
I'll bring that average up once I actually start watching films for this challenge (which I've been putting off to watch films for the ICMFF).
Agreed, it's a busy month. I'll watch 2-3 more when the ICMFF and noir challenge end.

User avatar
Jimi Antiloop
Posts: 448
Joined: Sep 04, 2016
Location: Germany
Contact:

#84

Post by Jimi Antiloop » November 23rd, 2018, 6:40 pm

I has certainly proven, that cinema seasion delivered some stuff I want to watch in this outside-home-buildings with this wide screens. :woot: [Suspiria, damn that was good. I really didn't like the original, for a lot of reasons, but the I-am-Not-really-a-remake 21 Century version of Suspiria got me :worship: ]

Anyway. Will work on some of these soon. Thanks for summarizing.
Last edited by Jimi Antiloop on November 28th, 2018, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#85

Post by clemmetarey » November 24th, 2018, 11:31 am

5. Je t'attendrai (1939) 7/10
Lovely film, that shows how complex the relations between the soldiers and their relatives were, even though they were very close.

6. Black Roots (1970) 4/10
Sorry sebby, this one didn't interest me at all.
SpoilerShow
1. BabaKiueria (1986) 6/10
2. Asha Jaoar Majhe (2014) 6/10
3. The Music of Chance (1993) 7/10
4. Tokyo.Sora (2002) 5/10
5. Je t'attendrai (1939) 7/10
6. Black Roots (1970) 4/10

blocho
Donator
Posts: 1799
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#86

Post by blocho » November 25th, 2018, 1:56 am

2. This World, Then the Fireworks

I already liked the music and style of the opening credits, and then I saw it was adapted from a Jim Thompson work, and I knew I was in for pure pulp supernova. For those who don't know him, Jim Thompson was the most hard-boiled of hard-boiled novelists. I read three of his novels about a decade ago, and the feel of those books comes through clearly in this movie. Everything is an exercise in tone, style, and dialogue. At the heart of a Thompson work (and the heart of this movie) is a view of human relationships so jaundiced that it leads to misanthropy. And since most of us still harbor some tender feelings for at least a few other humans, a lot of what happens doesn't really make sense. But at least the bizarre plot is true to the ugliness of the characters. Like true pulp, the movie has a barely finished feeling. The narration is half-baked, and the cuts between scenes are awkward. But no one ever read Thompson for the technique. Thompson wrote for grit and no glamor. This movie has tons of one and none of the other.

It's not a great movie, and I'd certainly put it below great Thompson adaptations like Serie Noire and Coup de Torchon, but I enjoyed this movie.

User avatar
Jimi Antiloop
Posts: 448
Joined: Sep 04, 2016
Location: Germany
Contact:

#87

Post by Jimi Antiloop » November 28th, 2018, 1:49 pm

3. Black Roots (1970) 7.5/10
Quite interessting document of the black man's and woman's history in the american society, but at some points a bit to focused on "I need to have labour and consumistic opportunieties to feel free.". That maybe right for the zeitgeist of the last decades western societies went through and for somebody having not much and want to live the way everybody else does, but I think, we as personalities should be a little bit further in terms of what happiness is all about.
Last edited by Jimi Antiloop on December 10th, 2018, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2710
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#88

Post by Onderhond » November 30th, 2018, 6:33 pm

06. Baby Bump (2015) (clemmetarey)
Never expected to get a first ICM-recommendation 4/5* rating out of this thread, but there you go. Where ICM has failed to bring me any good films so far, that has changed now.

Won't go into too much detail about the film itself, since 8/10 means I'll be doing a full review later, but this is the kind of cinema I like. Not quite sure if it'll be in my personal top list right away (it's a mid to low 8/10), but it'll definitely get there eventually. One thing I wondered while watching: I get the coming of age/growing up theme, but was it also a critique on single parenting (and more particularly, a single mom raising a boy)? There were some scenes that seemed to allude to that, not quite sure if that'll be appreciated in this day and age. Anyway, great film, Kudos clemmetarey! 8/10

PreviousShow
00. Glasses [Megane] (2007) (albajos) - 9/10
00. Temptress Moon [Feng yue] (1996) (Melvelet) - 7/10
00. The Incident [El Incidente] (2014) (filmbantha) - 7+/10
00. The Sea That Thinks [De zee die denkt] (2000) (Jimi Antiloop) - 2/10

01. Labour of Love [Asha Jaoar Majhe] (2014) (beavis) - 6/10
02. Babakiueria (1986) (maxwelldeux) - 6/10
03. Models (1999) (nimimerkillinen) - 6/10
04. This World, Then the Fireworks (1997) (Carmel1379) 6/10
05. The Cube (1969) (Daviddoes) 5/10

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#89

Post by maxwelldeux » December 1st, 2018, 2:53 am

And my first entry into this unofficial challenge...

1. This World, Then the Fireworks (1997, Carmel1379)

I'm kicking myself for not looking at the film list earlier in the month. It didn't even occur to me that any noirs might be on there, and I could have watched this WAY sooner. I'm complaining mostly because I really enjoyed this one. It seems spot-on neo-noir to me - in fact, this film has every stereotype about noir films I have (with the exception of being in black and white). And I really liked this film - very stylish, very dark, very moody. I think the casting was brilliant (and was surprised to learn that Sheryl Lee, of Laura Palmer fame, was in it), with Gina Gershon and Billy Zane hitting every note I wanted them to. Plus, the beginning immediately grabbed me, then followed it up with one of the better opening credit sequences I've seen. It took a weird turn the last quarter of the film, which prevented it from being higher, but this will make a nice addition to a couple of my lists. 8/10.

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#90

Post by clemmetarey » December 2nd, 2018, 2:57 pm

Onderhond wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 6:33 pm
06. Baby Bump (2015) (clemmetarey)
Never expected to get a first ICM-recommendation 4/5* rating out of this thread, but there you go. Where ICM has failed to bring me any good films so far, that has changed now.

Won't go into too much detail about the film itself, since 8/10 means I'll be doing a full review later, but this is the kind of cinema I like. Not quite sure if it'll be in my personal top list right away (it's a mid to low 8/10), but it'll definitely get there eventually. One thing I wondered while watching: I get the coming of age/growing up theme, but was it also a critique on single parenting (and more particularly, a single mom raising a boy)? There were some scenes that seemed to allude to that, not quite sure if that'll be appreciated in this day and age. Anyway, great film, Kudos clemmetarey! 8/10
Glad you liked it! :cheers:

I didn't see it as a critique on single parenting at all (I think it shows how hard it can be but without judging), but maybe you noticed things I haven't, so I'll be waiting for your review to comment further.

User avatar
Jimi Antiloop
Posts: 448
Joined: Sep 04, 2016
Location: Germany
Contact:

#91

Post by Jimi Antiloop » December 2nd, 2018, 7:35 pm

4. This World, Then the Fireworks 1,5/10

Ouch! :pinch:
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2710
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#92

Post by Onderhond » December 2nd, 2018, 10:53 pm

clemmetarey wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 2:57 pm
I didn't see it as a critique on single parenting at all (I think it shows how hard it can be but without judging), but maybe you noticed things I haven't, so I'll be waiting for your review to comment further.
As I tend to keep my reviews somewhat spoiler-free, I'll just reply here.

To me it felt that the mom was overbearing. Hence the overwhelming pink room (and the fake-boob shirt he had there?) and the cartoon where his mom is trying to eat him/the mouse. In one of the later scenes, he's also freezing off his boobs, which felt to me like a symbol for detaching himself from his mom. It seemed to me that the lack of a male presence helping him in his transition was problematic and that the overly female environment really confused him only further.

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#93

Post by clemmetarey » December 2nd, 2018, 11:50 pm

Onderhond wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 10:53 pm
clemmetarey wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 2:57 pm
I didn't see it as a critique on single parenting at all (I think it shows how hard it can be but without judging), but maybe you noticed things I haven't, so I'll be waiting for your review to comment further.
As I tend to keep my reviews somewhat spoiler-free, I'll just reply here.

To me it felt that the mom was overbearing. Hence the overwhelming pink room (and the fake-boob shirt he had there?) and the cartoon where his mom is trying to eat him/the mouse. In one of the later scenes, he's also freezing off his boobs, which felt to me like a symbol for detaching himself from his mom. It seemed to me that the lack of a male presence helping him in his transition was problematic and that the overly female environment really confused him only further.
I agree with you but for me being overbearing isn't only a single mom thing, so I don't think it was targetting single parenting. And I've seen some way more overbearing and intrusive parent than her. The fact he doesn't have a father is probably not a anodyne detail and may widen his confusion, but I didn't felt that the film hinted because of that that single parenting is a bad thing. I'm sure his relations with the other students plays a part as well for example.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4358
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#94

Post by Carmel1379 » December 3rd, 2018, 5:57 am

#1 Baby Bump (2015, Kuba Czekaj)
Dojebane. W sumie nie wiem czy widziałem bardziej twórczy obraz tematu odcięcia pępowiny, trudnej ucieczki od nadopiekuńczej mamuśki - macicy przesyconej słodkością, różowością, i freudowskimi nurtami. Po połowicznym wstrząsającym ’nagim wyjściu na świat’, rzeczywistość nabiera gorączkowy, podniecony, i sztuczny charakter, pełen strumieniami flirtów, narkotyków, seksualnych obaw, czy nieuniknionych sprzecznych pragnień. Typowe dorastanie (człowieka). Zajebisty film.

7+/10
Last edited by Carmel1379 on December 9th, 2018, 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#95

Post by Gershwin » December 3rd, 2018, 7:02 am

Hé, doe 's normaal! :P
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4358
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#96

Post by Carmel1379 » December 3rd, 2018, 7:07 am

Gershwin wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 7:02 am
Hé, doe 's normaal! :P
Ooit zal ik ook wel over een film in Nederlands schrijven. :D
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2710
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#97

Post by Onderhond » December 3rd, 2018, 7:36 am

clemmetarey wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:50 pm
not a anodyne detail
I guess it all boils down to that, whether you see it as an essential/core element of the setting or just another cog in the wheel.
It's just a vibe I got though, the film is vague enough and it's not even a theme I'd push through myself, but I could others having a problem with it :)

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#98

Post by clemmetarey » December 3rd, 2018, 12:15 pm

Onderhond wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 7:36 am
clemmetarey wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:50 pm
not a anodyne detail
I guess it all boils down to that, whether you see it as an essential/core element of the setting or just another cog in the wheel.
It's just a vibe I got though, the film is vague enough and it's not even a theme I'd push through myself, but I could others having a problem with it :)
Pretty much yes, but as you put it ''whether you see it as an essential/core element of the setting or just another cog in the wheel'', in both cases it's possible to see the film as non judgmental, since once again overbearing parents isn't only a single-parent thing. That's how I saw it at least. :)

Thanks for checking it out Carmel :thumbsup:

7. Sivi dom - Episode 1 (1984) 5/10
This one didn't really grabbed me, it's probably a nice introduction to the rest of the serie but I can't say I developed any connection with any character. I'm also not much of a serie guy so maybe it's just me.
SpoilerShow
1. BabaKiueria (1986) 6/10
2. Asha Jaoar Majhe (2014) 6/10
3. The Music of Chance (1993) 7/10
4. Tokyo.Sora (2002) 5/10
5. Je t'attendrai (1939) 7/10
6. Black Roots (1970) 4/10
7. Sivi dom - Episode 1 (1984) 5/10

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2710
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#99

Post by Onderhond » December 5th, 2018, 9:38 am

clemmetarey wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:15 pm
in both cases it's possible to see the film as non judgmental, since once again overbearing parents isn't only a single-parent thing.
True enough, maybe it was the pinkness of it all that gave me this vibe :) If you're interested, here's my full review

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#100

Post by clemmetarey » December 5th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Onderhond wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:38 am
clemmetarey wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:15 pm
in both cases it's possible to see the film as non judgmental, since once again overbearing parents isn't only a single-parent thing.
True enough, maybe it was the pinkness of it all that gave me this vibe :) If you're interested, here's my full review
Just read it, well written as usual. :thumbsup:


8. Ladybug Ladybug (1963) 5/10
I enjoyed the last 20 minutes or so, but I think the built-up is too long. It's not badly acted at all but something doesn't feel natural about them. It had potential to turn into a Lord of the Flies kind of story, and it's fine they choose to go that way but they lost me in the process.

SpoilerShow
1. BabaKiueria (1986) 6/10
2. Asha Jaoar Majhe (2014) 6/10
3. The Music of Chance (1993) 7/10
4. Tokyo.Sora (2002) 5/10
5. Je t'attendrai (1939) 7/10
6. Black Roots (1970) 4/10
7. Sivi dom - Episode 1 (1984) 5/10
8. Ladybug Ladybug (1963) 5/10

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#101

Post by maxwelldeux » December 7th, 2018, 3:07 am

Not mainstream. Alternative Lakes.Show
1. This World, Then the Fireworks (1997, Carmel1379)
2. Black Roots (1970, sebby)

Parts of this worked really well for me, and parts of this were entirely meh. I loved hearing the stories people shared about their experiences being Black and growing up, dealing with racism and building their own communities. But the music did nothing for me - while I didn't dislike it, I found myself kinda rolling my eyes waiting for hear the next story. My personal preference would have been to hear more stories and less music. Overall, I enjoyed the experience. 7/10.

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#102

Post by clemmetarey » December 15th, 2018, 12:07 pm

9. Feng yue (1996) 5/10
Very well shot but I stopped caring about the story after a while.
SpoilerShow
1. BabaKiueria (1986) 6/10
2. Asha Jaoar Majhe (2014) 6/10
3. The Music of Chance (1993) 7/10
4. Tokyo.Sora (2002) 5/10
5. Je t'attendrai (1939) 7/10
6. Black Roots (1970) 4/10
7. Sivi dom - Episode 1 (1984) 5/10
8. Ladybug Ladybug (1963) 5/10
9. Feng yue (1996) 5/10

Mochard
Posts: 1987
Joined: May 13, 2011
Location: California, USA was Manchester, UK
Contact:

#103

Post by Mochard » December 22nd, 2018, 6:00 am

2. Baby Bump (2015) - (clemmetarey)

I chose Baby Bump (recommended by clemmetarey) as my next film to watch. I just didn't like it. I wanted to like it more but it just didn't happen. I'm not good with symbolism generally speaking and I think a lot of stuff goes over my head. Sorry Clem but this film wasn't my cup of tea! 3/10

A new favorite = 1 Not my cup of tea = 1Show
Green - A new favorite. Red - not my cup of tea.

1. El Incidente (2014) - 7.5/10
2. Baby Bump (2015) - 3/10

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4358
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#104

Post by Carmel1379 » December 23rd, 2018, 9:52 pm

#2 tokyo.sora / tokyo.skies (2002, Hiroshi Ishikawa)
Indulgent aphasic alienation-fest with under-saturated anemic colours, puny humans trapped in languishing paltry subjectivities, brief shots of the eponymous skies, and occasionally overplayed woefully mawkish music.

3/10

()Show
#1 Baby Bump (2015, Kuba Czekaj)
Dojebane. W sumie nie wiem czy widziałem bardziej twórczy obraz tematu odcięcia pępowiny, trudnej ucieczki od nadopiekuńczej mamuśki - macicy przesyconej słodkością, różowością, i freudowskimi nurtami. Po połowicznym wstrząsającym ’nagim wyjściu na świat’, rzeczywistość nabiera gorączkowy, podniecony, i sztuczny charakter, pełen strumieniami flirtów, narkotyków, seksualnych obaw, czy nieuniknionych sprzecznych pragnień. Typowe dorastanie (człowieka). Zajebisty film.

7+/10
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1859
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#105

Post by beavis » December 29th, 2018, 10:02 pm

beavis wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 9:11 pm
1. BabaKiueria - 7
2. Je t'attendrai - 8,5
3. Black Roots - 7,5
4. the Cube - 7,5
5. Models (1999) - 7.5
6. Hell Is a City (1960) - 7.5
7. Professor Mamlock (1961) - 7,5

It has been far too long since I had my last viewing in this game! There were other end-of-the-year-goals I had to complete first, and they took a bit longer than expected. I hope to get the two Polish films I haven't seen yet done before the end of the year, but won't be able to see five this month, like I had initially planned… On to the movie!
Mamlock is made with great skill and style, as expected from a director like Wolf. The content is a political pamflet in the form of discussions between a father and son, and between collegues at a hospital, that gives great insight in the "political climate" of 1933 nazi Germany but, alas, also remains a warning sign for other times. 1961 communist east-germany, but our times seem even more filled with shouty people who feel they need to defend something, in the face of logic and statistics that should tell them otherwise. So yes, I didn't mind the pamfelttism much this time, but it is no denieing that this is a political film. Even if there are some shots that should get the attention of any lover of cinema, I guess they won't get that in the end...

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1859
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#106

Post by beavis » December 30th, 2018, 1:55 pm

beavis wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 10:02 pm
1. BabaKiueria - 7
2. Je t'attendrai - 8,5
3. Black Roots - 7,5
4. the Cube - 7,5
5. Models (1999) - 7.5
6. Hell Is a City (1960) - 7.5
7. Professor Mamlock (1961) - 7,5
8. Edi (2002) - 8

"Christmas Eve is when we want it to be" The line from the movie that Gorro quoted… but there is nothing warm and fuzzy about this one. Poland is a very Christian country, but there is also something very existential in the undercurrent here; the absence of anything like a god, or justice, and the absurd hero just getting on with it. Does he really want to? Maybe that is the question. I was not entirely up for it this Christmas, it felt too bleak. That is why I'm again stuck at the 7,5 score for a very well made film that I am not able to totally like.

EDIT: changed the rating to an 8. I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation, but I do have to give credits when a movie is able to do that. I guess this one will stick with me, like it did for Gorro...

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1859
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#107

Post by beavis » December 30th, 2018, 7:51 pm

beavis wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 1:55 pm
1. BabaKiueria - 7
2. Je t'attendrai - 8,5
3. Black Roots - 7,5
4. the Cube - 7,5
5. Models (1999) - 7.5
6. Hell Is a City (1960) - 7.5
7. Professor Mamlock (1961) - 7,5
8. Edi (2002) - 8
9. Baby Bump (2015) - 7

I like the transgressive and surreal nature of this very much, but the approach to it seems mostly for laughs and "just throw anything into the mix", making the arc of growing through puberty feel a little flat. Or maybe I was supposed to be just as confused as the main character? :lol:

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1859
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#108

Post by beavis » December 30th, 2018, 8:04 pm

I have seen 15/23 in total now. From the remaining eight there are only four left that I want to see at this time (not all pitches have sold me, sorry. I'm not a big fan of Geyrhalter, so him spending 3 hours in a workplace is not inviting for me, then there is a television series which by its very nature is even less inviting…). I know some of the participants still haven't started watching… but I could use a fresh impulse myself!

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#109

Post by clemmetarey » January 1st, 2019, 4:54 pm

10. Illuminated Texts (1982) 5/10
An interesting watch, that would probably require another viewing. Perception's explanations in the nomination thread helped me understand the director's approch, but I feel like even though I was trying to focus on something I couldn't so not much remain, which isn't a good thing for a 3 hour long film.

SpoilerShow
1. BabaKiueria (1986) 6/10
2. Asha Jaoar Majhe (2014) 6/10
3. The Music of Chance (1993) 7/10
4. Tokyo.Sora (2002) 5/10
5. Je t'attendrai (1939) 7/10
6. Black Roots (1970) 4/10
7. Sivi dom - Episode 1 (1984) 5/10
8. Ladybug Ladybug (1963) 5/10
9. Feng yue (1996) 5/10
10. Illuminated Texts (1982) 5/10

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#110

Post by clemmetarey » January 1st, 2019, 4:55 pm

Here's an updated ranking:

Mario Gaborovic: 13
Perception de Ambiguity : 11
clemmetarey: 10
beavis: 9
Onderhond: 6
Jimi Antiloop: 4
72allincallme: 3
Gershwin: 3
XxXApathy420XxX: 3
zzzorf: 3
blocho: 2
Carmel1379: 2
maxwelldeux: 2
Mochard: 2
sol: 2
Daviddoes: 1
Nathan Treadway: 1
sebby: 1


And here the breakdown for each film:
SpoilerShow
Asha Jaoar Majhe (2014) (beavis)
clemmetarey: 6/10
Mario Gaborovic: 5/10
Onderhond: 3/5
Perception de Ambiguity: 7+

BabaKiueria (1986) (Maxwelldeux)
72allincallme: 6.5/10
beavis: 7/10
clemmetarey: 6/10
Gershwin: 7/10
Onderhond: 6/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 5
sol: Add to my 500<400 list (at #267)
zzzorf: 7/10

Baby Bump (2015) (clemmetarey)
beavis: 7/10
Carmel1379: 7/10
Mario Gaborovic: 2/10
Mochard: 3/10
Onderhond: 8/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 7

Black Roots (1970) (sebby)
beavis: 7.5/10
clemmetarey: 4/10
Jimi Antiloop: 7.5/10
maxwelldeux: 7/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 4+
XxXApathy420XxX: 8/10

De zee die denkt (2000) (Jimi Antiloop)
Perception de Ambiguity: 8-

Edi (2002) (Gorro)
beavis: 8/10

El incidente (2014) (filmbantha)
Jimi Antiloop: 8.5/10
Mochard: 7.5/10
zzzorf: 5/10

Feng yue (1996) (Melvelet)
clemmetarey: 5/10
Gershwin: 6/10
Mario Gaborovic: 4/10

Friends (1971) (zzzorf)
Mario Gaborovic: 7/10
sol: add it to my 500<400 ballot, but it probably won't be too high up

Hell Is a City (1960) (blocho)
72allinncallme: 7.5/10
beavis: 7.5/10

Illuminated Texts (1982) (Perception de Ambiguity)
clemmetarey: 5/10
XxXApathy420XxX: 7/10

Je t'attendrai (1939) (XxXApathy420XxX)
beavis: 8.5/10
clemmetarey: 7/10
Mario Gaborovic: 7/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 5

Keshtzar haye sepid (2009) (cinewest)
Nathan Treadway: will likely be on my list, but, I'm not too sure where
Perception de Ambiguity: 6

Ladybug Ladybug (1963) (sol)
blocho
clemmetarey: 5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 6.5/10
zzzorf: 8/10

Megane (2007) (albajos)
Mario Gaborovic: 4/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 6+

Models (1999) (nimimerkillinen)
beavis: 7.5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 7/10
Onderhond: 6/10

Professor Mamlock (1961) (Nathan Treadway)
beavis: 7.5/10
Jimi Antiloop: 8.5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 5.5/10

Sivi dom (1st ep.) (1984) (Mario Gaborovic)
clemmetarey: 5/10

The Cube (1969) (Daviddoes)
beavis: 7.5/10
Gershwin: 5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 5/10
Onderhond: 5/10

The Music of Chance (1993) (72allincallme)
clemmetarey: 7/10
Mario Gaborovic: 6.5/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 7 (rewatch)

This World, Then the Fireworks (1997) (Carmel1379)
72allinncallme: 7/10
blocho: not great but I enjoyed it
Daviddoes: 7.5/10
Jimi Antiloop: 1.5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 3/10
maxwelldeux: 8/10
Onderhond: 6/10
sebby: 3/10

Tokyo.sora (2002) (Onderhond)
Carmel1379: 3/10
clemmetarey: 5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 6-6.5/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 3

Über die Jahre (2015) (Gershwin)
Perception de Ambiguity: 7
XxXApathy420XxX: 8/10

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#111

Post by Gershwin » January 1st, 2019, 5:09 pm

:thumbsup:

So you guys think we should reopen nominations in a certain way?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1859
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#112

Post by beavis » January 1st, 2019, 6:38 pm

should cinewest also be included in the ranking?
see this post viewtopic.php?p=543244#p543244

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1859
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#113

Post by beavis » January 1st, 2019, 6:42 pm

Gershwin wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:09 pm
So you guys think we should reopen nominations in a certain way?
just make a final ruling on the "how" first
because there are still a few nominators that haven't started watching / have dropped out

I have made a new watch-list for this month today, and only one of the movies for this game made it on there, so... that is my problem :)
but it could use some more impulse for my taste, like I said

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2202
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#114

Post by clemmetarey » January 1st, 2019, 6:58 pm

beavis wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 6:38 pm
should cinewest also be included in the ranking?
see this post viewtopic.php?p=543244#p543244
I don't really know, he says Feng Yue is already on his 500<400 list (so he would have already see it), and he didn't finish El Incidente (''Putting it on pause for the moment....''). But maybe I'm wrong, cinewest if you're reading this?

As for nominations, there are still a few I'd like to see, and I think participation has been a bit low so far.
Those who haven't participate much so far, could you tell us why? If the main reason is because no film is of any interest, maybe opening a second batch of nomination could be a good idea.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1031
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#115

Post by cinewest » January 1st, 2019, 7:16 pm

clemmetarey wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 4:55 pm
Here's an updated ranking:

Mario Gaborovic: 13
Perception de Ambiguity : 11
clemmetarey: 10
beavis: 9
Onderhond: 6
Jimi Antiloop: 4
72allincallme: 3
Gershwin: 3
XxXApathy420XxX: 3
zzzorf: 3
blocho: 2
Carmel1379: 2
maxwelldeux: 2
Mochard: 2
sol: 2
Daviddoes: 1
Nathan Treadway: 1
sebby: 1


And here the breakdown for each film:
SpoilerShow
Asha Jaoar Majhe (2014) (beavis)
clemmetarey: 6/10
Mario Gaborovic: 5/10
Onderhond: 3/5
Perception de Ambiguity: 7+

BabaKiueria (1986) (Maxwelldeux)
72allincallme: 6.5/10
beavis: 7/10
clemmetarey: 6/10
Gershwin: 7/10
Onderhond: 6/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 5
sol: Add to my 500<400 list (at #267)
zzzorf: 7/10

Baby Bump (2015) (clemmetarey)
beavis: 7/10
Carmel1379: 7/10
Mario Gaborovic: 2/10
Mochard: 3/10
Onderhond: 8/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 7

Black Roots (1970) (sebby)
beavis: 7.5/10
clemmetarey: 4/10
Jimi Antiloop: 7.5/10
maxwelldeux: 7/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 4+
XxXApathy420XxX: 8/10

De zee die denkt (2000) (Jimi Antiloop)
Perception de Ambiguity: 8-

Edi (2002) (Gorro)
beavis: 8/10

El incidente (2014) (filmbantha)
Jimi Antiloop: 8.5/10
Mochard: 7.5/10
zzzorf: 5/10

Feng yue (1996) (Melvelet)
clemmetarey: 5/10
Gershwin: 6/10
Mario Gaborovic: 4/10

Friends (1971) (zzzorf)
Mario Gaborovic: 7/10
sol: add it to my 500<400 ballot, but it probably won't be too high up

Hell Is a City (1960) (blocho)
72allinncallme: 7.5/10
beavis: 7.5/10

Illuminated Texts (1982) (Perception de Ambiguity)
clemmetarey: 5/10
XxXApathy420XxX: 7/10

Je t'attendrai (1939) (XxXApathy420XxX)
beavis: 8.5/10
clemmetarey: 7/10
Mario Gaborovic: 7/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 5

Keshtzar haye sepid (2009) (cinewest)
Nathan Treadway: will likely be on my list, but, I'm not too sure where
Perception de Ambiguity: 6

Ladybug Ladybug (1963) (sol)
blocho
clemmetarey: 5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 6.5/10
zzzorf: 8/10

Megane (2007) (albajos)
Mario Gaborovic: 4/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 6+

Models (1999) (nimimerkillinen)
beavis: 7.5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 7/10
Onderhond: 6/10

Professor Mamlock (1961) (Nathan Treadway)
beavis: 7.5/10
Jimi Antiloop: 8.5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 5.5/10

Sivi dom (1st ep.) (1984) (Mario Gaborovic)
clemmetarey: 5/10

The Cube (1969) (Daviddoes)
beavis: 7.5/10
Gershwin: 5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 5/10
Onderhond: 5/10

The Music of Chance (1993) (72allincallme)
clemmetarey: 7/10
Mario Gaborovic: 6.5/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 7 (rewatch)

This World, Then the Fireworks (1997) (Carmel1379)
72allinncallme: 7/10
blocho: not great but I enjoyed it
Daviddoes: 7.5/10
Jimi Antiloop: 1.5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 3/10
maxwelldeux: 8/10
Onderhond: 6/10
sebby: 3/10

Tokyo.sora (2002) (Onderhond)
Carmel1379: 3/10
clemmetarey: 5/10
Mario Gaborovic: 6-6.5/10
Perception de Ambiguity: 3

Über die Jahre (2015) (Gershwin)
Perception de Ambiguity: 7
XxXApathy420XxX: 8/10
I, Cinewest, have seen 3 of the nominated films: White Meadows (9), Temptress Moon (8), and The Incident (5)

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#116

Post by maxwelldeux » January 1st, 2019, 7:22 pm

clemmetarey wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 6:58 pm
As for nominations, there are still a few I'd like to see, and I think participation has been a bit low so far.
Those who haven't participate much so far, could you tell us why? If the main reason is because no film is of any interest, maybe opening a second batch of nomination could be a good idea.
1. The ICMFF - I was focusing on watching films for that, and not prioritizing this (snuck in a noir film from here)
2. The Doc challenge - I went all out for that. (watched Black Roots)
3. Lack of streamability. I watch most of my stuff streaming so I can watch it on my good TV. If I have to download it, it's on my laptop, which is my least favorite place to watch things.
4. Challenges. I use the challenges to structure my watches and push me to watch things I wouldn't otherwise do. I watch a handful of things that don't count for one of the three challenges, but not many.

Those are my reasons. It's not a lack of interest in the films on my part, as I tend to respect everyone around here enough to give the recommendations a chance.

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2392
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#117

Post by 72allinncallme » January 1st, 2019, 7:57 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:22 pm

3. Lack of streamability. I watch most of my stuff streaming so I can watch it on my good TV. If I have to download it, it's on my laptop, which is my least favorite place to watch things.
Use a HDMI-cabel from your laptop to TV?

User avatar
Jimi Antiloop
Posts: 448
Joined: Sep 04, 2016
Location: Germany
Contact:

#118

Post by Jimi Antiloop » January 1st, 2019, 9:04 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:57 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:22 pm

3. Lack of streamability. I watch most of my stuff streaming so I can watch it on my good TV. If I have to download it, it's on my laptop, which is my least favorite place to watch things.
Use a HDMI-cabel from your laptop to TV?
Or use an USB stick to bring it on your TV screen! It's that easy.
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#119

Post by maxwelldeux » January 1st, 2019, 9:25 pm

Jimi Antiloop wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 9:04 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:57 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:22 pm

3. Lack of streamability. I watch most of my stuff streaming so I can watch it on my good TV. If I have to download it, it's on my laptop, which is my least favorite place to watch things.
Use a HDMI-cabel from your laptop to TV?
Or use an USB stick to bring it on your TV screen! It's that easy.
Setting up the laptop on the TV isn't hard. Moving everything is a pain in the butt - unhooking the stuff from the laptop in my office, setting it up on a bigger TV, watching the movie, then taking it all back to my office is more than I'm willing to do. But I'm going to solve this issue by hooking up a desktop to the TV. Soon.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#120

Post by maxwelldeux » January 1st, 2019, 9:33 pm

Not mainstream. Alternative Lakes.Show
1. This World, Then the Fireworks (1997, Carmel1379)
2. Black Roots (1970, sebby)
3. El Incidente (2014, filmbantha)

This was a weird-ass movie. The time loops/infinite landscapes aren't something I'm usually drawn to, but I thought this was handled really well with some great parallels between the story lines. The first half was especially confusing as to how the two plots would converge, but they came together fascinatingly with a surprise that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Overall, I quite enjoyed this, though I'm not sure I "got" it. My favorite scene was the key dropping - it was quick, subtle, but really established what was happening.

Post Reply