Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: South Asia (Results), Doubling the Canon (Results), 1950s (May 24th), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Official Challenge Awards & Stats - Feedback & Planning

Should we have a "2019 Challenge Series and Awards" thread?

Poll ended at November 30th, 2018, 4:48 am

Yes - please continue this next year!
86%
No - please stop doing this.
5%
I don't know and/or I don't care
9%

Total votes: 22

maxwelldeux
Donator

Official Challenge Awards & Stats - Feedback & Planning

Post by maxwelldeux » October 11th, 2018, 4:48 am

Hey Everyone.

If you're reading this, you're probably aware I've been doing the 2018 Official Challenge Series and Awards thread this year. This thread here is for feedback about the project.

Broad general questions I'm asking:
  • What do you like about this?
  • What do you dislike about this?
  • Any awards you want to get rid of (e.g., do we need another award for challenge winners?)?
  • Any new awards you'd like to see (e.g., an award for 3rd place finishes)?
  • Thoughts on pacing?
  • etc.
And to set the stage, frame the discussion, and manage expectations, I wanted to let you know about the things that I can and cannot change about this:

Data I'm Tracking
Data in the OP of challenge threads. This consists of participant name and number of watches, usually ranked - but nothing else regarding individual challenge stats. I'm also tracking challenge "metadata" (e.g., year, month, challenge name, host)

Things I can't change
- Scoring for the Overall Challenge Leaderboard. I like the system we have, and I'm not really interested in breaking ties.
- The Data I'm tracking. We can't really require more of challenge hosts, so I have to rely on what's in the OP. (Metadata can be added to, though)

Things I can change
- Any calculation. As long as it's based on the data I'm tracking, I can change any calculation.
- Presentation of Results. Anything, including images, text, explanations, formatting, pacing,...

So yeah - what are your thoughts?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 11th, 2018, 10:59 am

What do you like about this?

1. Provides much-needed extra motivation to participate in Challenges that I would otherwise neglect (thus expanding my cinematic horizons)
2. Provides a reason to keep plodding along, even when it is obvious that psychotronicbeatnik or flavo is going to win yet again
3. Provides a reason to keep plodding along, even if you know that you aren't going to finish in the top few places
4. Provides more validation to new participants for trying even if they can't outdo beatnik or 72a

What do you dislike about this?

I'm sure there must be something, but... :shrug:

Any awards you want to get rid of (e.g., do we need another award for challenge winners?)?
  • The Dabbler Award - too easy to achieve - and doesn't tell us anything interesting
  • The 300 - too easy to achieve - would suggest raising the threshold to 500, or maybe have 300, 600, 900, 1200 etc subcategories
Any new awards you'd like to see (e.g., an award for 3rd place finishes)?

3rd place would certainly be interesting to see, but I have actually been thinking of something more in the lines of "Oscar nominees", i.e. you a score a point every time you finish inside the top 5 for any challenge. One can receive a maximum of 36 Oscar nominations in a given year, and a maximum of twelve actual Oscars (Charlie Sheens).

Thoughts on pacing?

I would prefer it if the pace in which the awards were revealed every month was quickened. Oh, there's certainly justification in delaying the Overall Leaderboard and XX/XX awards since these are really hard to predict. Otherwise, we already know where we finished, so Participation, 300, Hitch Oscars etc should all be revealed within minutes of each other, not hours or days IMHO.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 11th, 2018, 1:10 pm

First of all, and again, I love this, I'm in awe of your brilliance in creating it.

The downside is that it feeds my addiction but that's my problem.

It was I who suggested you reduce the dabbler threshold, which you had initially set higher. Maybe I was wrong.

As for the 300 threshold: I disagree about its being too low. Not all of us watch movies 24/7; also, we've agreed to arrange next year's challenges to make doubles and triples harder. But sol's suggestion of several threshold levels sounds good to me.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 11th, 2018, 3:13 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 1:10 pm
As for the 300 threshold: I disagree about its being too low. Not all of us watch movies 24/7; also, we've agreed to arrange next year's challenges to make doubles and triples harder. But sol's suggestion of several threshold levels sounds good to me.
Ooh, I totally forgot about that, and of course you are correct - it will be harder to get to 300 next year with less doubles and triples on offer. Still, I have watched 300+ movies each year for the past ten years without batting an eyelid, so a tiered system might indeed be the way to go. That way I could actually challenge myself to get to 600 rather than just be satisfied by achieving 300.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 11th, 2018, 3:21 pm

sol wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 3:13 pm
... it will be harder to get to 300 next year with less doubles and triples on offer. Still, I have watched 300+ movies each year for the past ten years without batting an eyelid, so a tiered system might indeed be the way to go. That way I could actually challenge myself to get to 600 rather than just be satisfied by achieving 300.
I too watch 300+ each year without batting an eyelid, but being tied to the official challenges for all of them is another matter.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 11th, 2018, 6:03 pm

It's been a lot of fun, Maxwell, please keep it up.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 11th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Make it 365/366 so it has some sort of meaning at least.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 11th, 2018, 11:45 pm

sol wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 10:59 am

1. Provides much-needed extra motivation to participate in Challenges that I would otherwise neglect (thus expanding my cinematic horizons)
2. Provides a reason to keep plodding along, even when it is obvious that psychotronicbeatnik or flavo is going to win yet again
3. Provides a reason to keep plodding along, even if you know that you aren't going to finish in the top few places
4. Provides more validation to new participants for trying even if they can't outdo beatnik or 72a
Well said - you pretty well hit upon my goals. I like the challenges because they force me to get out of my comfort zone, but I can't commit to watching enough films to really compete to win any of the challenges. So I wanted something that would keep me engaged, encourage more participation (i.e., you don't have to try to win to play). Which is why a lot of the awards are bottom-loaded.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 11th, 2018, 11:47 pm

sol wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 3:13 pm
3eyes wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 1:10 pm
Ooh, I totally forgot about that, and of course you are correct - it will be harder to get to 300 next year with less doubles and triples on offer. Still, I have watched 300+ movies each year for the past ten years without batting an eyelid, so a tiered system might indeed be the way to go. That way I could actually challenge myself to get to 600 rather than just be satisfied by achieving 300.
a) sol, you're at 958 for the year not including October - not sure 600 is the best goal for you... :P
b) point taken - I can pretty easily add levels/new awards for additional thresholds.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 11th, 2018, 11:50 pm

No complaints. sol sums it up pretty nicely, let me just say that
3rd place would certainly be interesting to see, but I have actually been thinking of something more in the lines of "Oscar nominees", i.e. you a score a point every time you finish inside the top 5 for any challenge. One can receive a maximum of 36 Oscar nominations in a given year, and a maximum of twelve actual Oscars (Charlie Sheens).
this part especially appeals to me, as someone likely to have a few top 5 finishes but not a prayer of hitting #1 or 2 pretty much ever.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 12th, 2018, 12:11 am

sol wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 10:59 am

Could you expand on that? 36 Oscar noms I get, but there are 36 challenges to win, so where to the 12 Oscars come from?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 12th, 2018, 12:55 am

How about an award for seeing movies that fits all three challenges in a month. If someone can do that over the whole year (thereby seeing at least 12 movies), I think that's impressive commitment to some incredibly niche genres (you know, German comedies from the silent era or queer Iberian horror movies).

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 12th, 2018, 1:23 am

blocho wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 12:55 am
How about an award for seeing movies that fits all three challenges in a month. If someone can do that over the whole year (thereby seeing at least 12 movies), I think that's impressive commitment to some incredibly niche genres (you know, German comedies from the silent era or queer Iberian horror movies).
I love the idea - it's just not something I'm able to track. From the OP of the challenge threads, I don't have the info of which films count for additional challenges.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 12th, 2018, 6:30 am

I was thinking of doing a 37th challenge next year, which only count triples

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » October 12th, 2018, 6:45 am

albajos wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 6:39 pm
Make it 365/366 so it has some sort of meaning at least.
well 300 has that graphic novel / movie meaning but i think levels should be every 100 but then again im not the host so thats extra work

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 12th, 2018, 2:33 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 12:11 am
Could you expand on that? 36 Oscar noms I get, but there are 36 challenges to win, so where to the 12 Oscars come from?
It comes from me posting when I was tired after a long day at school and not thinking straight. :P Yes, it should be 36 possible nominations and 36 possible wins.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 12th, 2018, 2:37 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 11:50 pm
3rd place would certainly be interesting to see, but I have actually been thinking of something more in the lines of "Oscar nominees", i.e. you a score a point every time you finish inside the top 5 for any challenge. One can receive a maximum of 36 Oscar nominations in a given year, and a maximum of twelve 36 actual Oscars (Charlie Sheens).
this part especially appeals to me, as someone likely to have a few top 5 finishes but not a prayer of hitting #1 or 2 pretty much ever.
:cheers:

In a similar boat there; while I have won a couple of Challenges in my time, both were wins with less than 90 watches. I just can't average much higher than 3 per day, even when I have holidays, so yeah, some opportunity for people like us to get recognition without needing to win or come second would be great!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 12th, 2018, 2:43 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 11:47 pm
sol, you're at 958 for the year not including October - not sure 600 is the best goal for you... :P
Well, ignoring what I have watched in October so far, I have only seen around 650 films according to my own tally. The number only becomes inflated due to all those doubles and triples this year. In fact, from the looks of things, around 45% of what I have watched this year has been either a double or triple. Wow, that's high.

But yeah, 600 probably wouldn't be too hard for me next year. 900 without an emphasis on doubles or triples, now THAT would be a challenge.
Image Image Image

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 12th, 2018, 2:54 pm

sol wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 2:37 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 11:50 pm
3rd place would certainly be interesting to see, but I have actually been thinking of something more in the lines of "Oscar nominees", i.e. you a score a point every time you finish inside the top 5 for any challenge. One can receive a maximum of 36 Oscar nominations in a given year, and a maximum of twelve 36 actual Oscars (Charlie Sheens).

In a similar boat there; while I have won a couple of Challenges in my time, both were wins with less than 90 watches. I just can't average much higher than 3 per day, even when I have holidays, so yeah, some opportunity for people like us to get recognition without needing to win or come second would be great!
Yeah, hitting the triple digits in views is tough for me, and even if I manage it this month for horror and next for noir, I won't come anywhere near the top and likely won't even hit top 5 on the noir, maybe not top 10 on the horror. Part of the problem for me is that like you I've decided I'm going to write reviews for everything and that takes time and also sometimes thinking-time, and then I get to the end of the month thinking I'm going to end up doing pretty well and somebody just posts a list of a dozen last minute :o . But the fun is more in the challenge myself than anything else, anyway.

It is ironic, and I've thought this several times this year, that this is the first year I've made a really concentrated effort to write reviews for everything, and it's much less appreciated/noticed than it would have been on IMDb. I always seem to be out of step.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 12th, 2018, 3:02 pm

There were 14/112 participants that got over 300 in 2017. Only 24 challenges and not so many doubles possible.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » October 13th, 2018, 12:28 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 4:48 am

So yeah - what are your thoughts?
When I first saw your overall leader board for all the challenges I was something like #46 or lower and I set myself an unofficial goal of breaking the Top 20. Then thanks to my fast start out of the gate (I had no idea I would rank #1 for the year based on my first month's viewings, especially since I didn't win any of the January challenges), I got competitive and so far I've kept this rabbit ahead of the hounds. The other awards have been a big motivating factor because it is fun to win things, even if they are No Prizes (see Marvel comics in the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby era if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

My favorite awards to win - the Hitch for coming in second and staying at the top of that Beautiful Mind XX award (in recent months it has encouraged me to go for 36 in every challenge to make up for earlier months when I didn't hit that number). It's also fun to see who else is as obsessed as Flavo and myself with the Adrian Monk award.

Early on this year, 'round about month 3 or 4, I became very respectful of doubles and triples and I've always felt that would make a cool Award - or just a straight overall count. I've been hopeless at keeping track of my own, but I know that I've really only watched about half of the films I'm down for on this year's overall board thanks to doubles and triples. If these will be harder to achieve next year (and getting them is already a fourth challenge of sorts), it would be great to recognize the achievement of those on the quest for them - in some way anyway. I'm rambling a little because I'm close to quitting time at work and fighting a bad cold.

Your awards have definitely given me a lot of motivation to maintain my crazy pace this year. Especially in the face of the brouhaha over TV in the challenges. Some challenges will naturally exclude TV because they are based on lists or other factors but for the genre and decade challenges in particular, I think TV should be counted in a less restrictive way then it has been recently (I know this isn't part of your awards - just getting it off my chest).

I won't say never, I've learned that from Sean Connery, but I probably will not do every challenge next year. But your awards, whoever the host is and the guidelines they set, and the subject of the challenge will be the basis for choosing whichever ones I choose. Besides, I gotta keep my Top Twenty standing now that I've achieved it (full disclosure - I've actually climbed to #8 overall on the 2011-2018 charts and I blame it all on you, Maxwell).

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » October 13th, 2018, 12:35 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 1:23 am
blocho wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 12:55 am
I love the idea - it's just not something I'm able to track. From the OP of the challenge threads, I don't have the info of which films count for additional challenges.
I think blocho and I are after the same thing (I mention it in my post as well). Maybe for tracking, each participant could put Double or Triple at the end of their post. I know the one month I tried to keep track (Cult/Italy/Western perhaps?) I was hopeless and you somehow kept the numbers straight so I know you could do this one if you set your mind to it!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » October 13th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I like that it reinvigorated me to participate in challenges.

It's overwhelming for me to keep up this level of participation. I'm all-in for this year (and that's explicitly because of the award system you set up), but starting next year I want to pare down the number of films I watch in general, and thus I will also participate in far fewer challenges.

Any awards you want to get rid of (e.g., do we need another award for challenge winners?)?
No, they're interesting and original. I think you did a great job there.

3rd place or Top 5 ones are cool. Also like the triples idea.

Thoughts on pacing?
Too fast for me, personally. Because of the breakneck speed of some users, I don't bother ready any of the official challenge threads, even when people take the time to write reviews. I post my updates once a month and am done with it. I spend more time reading the posts in some of the unofficial ongoing challenges that I participate in, and I'm more inclined to write my own thoughts there as well.

Overall, I think this was a great initiative from you and thank you for helping to bring about more participation on the forum. :worship:

frbrown

Post by frbrown » October 13th, 2018, 4:46 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 4:48 am
Nothing

Any new awards you'd like to see?
An award for the person with the most watches in a month, from all 3 challenges combined

albajos

Post by albajos » October 13th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Median and/or average each month?

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » October 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm

frbrown wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:46 pm
Any new awards you'd like to see?
An award for the person with the most watches in a month, from all 3 challenges combined
@ Maxwell - frbrown's suggestion might be a roundabout way to reward triples & doubles if you can't incorporate them in other ways, and this seems do-able with your current system. So, I'd like to second frbrown's excellent suggestion.

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » October 14th, 2018, 3:37 pm

I only take part in a very few challenges every year but I sure like to take a look at the leaderboard every now and then. Don't care much about the awards though (maybe just because I never won one :D). Furthermore, I'd say your rankings are one of the major reasons behind the increase in the number of participants and their struggle to make a high score in challenges that were traditionally not very competitive. So please, keep on doing your splendid work.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 20th, 2018, 6:11 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I've been letting this stew in the back of my mind for the last month, and read back through the entire thread today. Based on your feedback, here is my tentative plan for next year (and yes, I'd like to hear feedback on this as well).

The overarching theme I'm thinking about is to have a lower level and a higher level threshold for each award (excepting the overall leaderboard and X/X). Both thresholds will be meant to be specific and difficult, but achievable if you're playing around that threshold. (You'll see what I'm talking about shortly.)

Awards:
Leaderboard - remains unchanged
X/X- remains unchanged
Participation - lower threshold exactly mimics this year (1 film/challenge, six levels at 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, and 36); upper threshold is the same, except raises it to 5 films/challenge
Oscar Nominees/Winners - 1 pt for a top 5 finish (level up to 36), and 1 pt for a win (level up to 36)
Obsessed much? - lower threshold is 42 (~1.5 film/day pace), upper threshold 101 (~3.33 film/day pace). [Hitchhiker's Guide and Dalmatians allusions, respectively]
300, etc. - lower threshold is 300 (same as this year), upper threshold is 1066 (i.e., William the Conqueror) [after October, 4 people are over 1066 this year, and 3 others will hit it this month]
Best/Worst Month - a variant on frbrown's suggestion. Most points across all three challenges in a month gets the "best" award (names TBD), and the person(s) who has the lowest combined points across all three challenges (contingent on participation in all three challenges) gets the "worst" award.
Mundane Award - the median and/or average performance in an individual challenge each month (albajos' suggestion). Combine the scores from the three challenges, calculate the median and/or average, and whoever is closest wins the award. Hypothetically, if the median score across all three challenges was 15, and someone scored 15 in all three challenges, that person could win the award three times that month.

So... thoughts?

albajos

Post by albajos » November 20th, 2018, 7:05 am

Well, average could be 4 awards in a month. Every challenge + all 3 combined. So could median. As these are very much up to luck, more winners simply means that someone actually might win it twice through the year. Right now it wouls be sol for average in Nordic. And all 3 that have 8 points (including you) for median.

I will also run a double/triple challenge through the year. So if you want any awards from that, you can.
(Goal is to score triples, but some months this might not be possible (like silent icelandic movies from the 2010s), so the one with the most doubles that month would win.)

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 20th, 2018, 8:28 am

Yeah the X/X award will be my main challenge next year. May I suggest a lower treshold for the Obsessed Much? award of 36 movies, which equals the total amount of challenges in the whole year. Off course I love everything else. :circle: :circle: Awards Awards Awards :circle: :circle:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 20th, 2018, 10:33 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 6:11 am
the person(s) who has the lowest combined points across all three challenges (contingent on participation in all three challenges) gets the "worst" award.
Oh, yeah - what a great and inviting way to increase participation in the Challenge Series. :blink: Everything else looks okay, "Mundane Award" sounds especially interesting. Only just skim-read your post, so may reply in greater detail later.
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 21st, 2018, 8:23 am

@albajos - my hesitation with doing awards for individual challenges (winners aside, as they're obvious and always reported) is that a) it can take away from the host's ability to report stats, and b) I don't want to get in the habit of having to supplement individual challenge stats, so I'd prefer it focus on the meta-challenge aspect by combining across the three challenges each month.
@jeroeno - Is your 36 suggestion to get it to correspond to the X/X award? (Because that makes sense, and it took me the entire day to work that out)
@sol - do respond if you have other feedback. But point taken... ;)

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 21st, 2018, 8:31 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 8:23 am

@jeroeno - Is your 36 suggestion to get it to correspond to the X/X award? (Because that makes sense, and it took me the entire day to work that out)
:facepalm: tehe

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 22nd, 2019, 3:49 am

Bumping this thread because I need to start thinking about what to do in 2020...

Good News: I plan on keeping up with this and running out challenge stats/awards in some fashion.
Bad News: I need to scale back on what I'm doing.

So I'm asking for feedback on what y'all like/value/care about from this thread. With my new job, I have limited time and energy to devote to foruming. And I like foruming. And watching movies. And my wife. And sleep. So short of a meth addiction, I'm not sure I can keep up with everything. Please see below and let me know your thoughts one what to scale back on.

General thoughts:

What takes me the most time, and what I'm most eager to cut, is the custom writing/formatting. I haven't tried to automate it because I like looking at the results and highlighting cool things from there. But that's 75-80% of the work. So switching up the format where I just do a table dump with the results (rather than an interpretation thereof) would be REALLY helpful. And I'd love to hear thoughts on that.

Specific thoughts:
- Oscar Noms: Easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration.
- Obsessed: Fairly easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration.
- 300/1066: Easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration. I can even add some custom formatting to highlight the different levels (I can even add levels if the interest is there).
- Nerdy stats: This has been super underwhelming for me. I thought it would be more fun than it turned out being. I'm inclined to just cut this.
- X/X: Fairly easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration. Incidentally, this is the hardest thread to get the custom writing correct on.
- Participation: Fairly easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration. I can even add levels if the interest is there.
- Leaderboard: Should probably remain unchanged.
- Triples/Doubles: This relies on albajos' thread, so that's a separate discussion.

If there are other things to track, I'm open to them, as long as I can automate it from the challenge leaderboard. So... thoughts?

:shrug:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 22nd, 2019, 10:21 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 3:49 am
What takes me the most time, and what I'm most eager to cut, is the custom writing/formatting. I haven't tried to automate it because I like looking at the results and highlighting cool things from there. But that's 75-80% of the work. So switching up the format where I just do a table dump with the results (rather than an interpretation thereof) would be REALLY helpful. And I'd love to hear thoughts on that.
Yeah, that's fine. I think the results themselves are the #1 thing that most folks are interested in. If they then want to discuss the data that you have dumped that's fine, and it should be optional for you to contribute to such discussions as you see fit.
maxwelldeux wrote:
Specific thoughts:
- Oscar Noms: Easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration.
- Obsessed: Fairly easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration.
:thumbsup:
maxwelldeux wrote:
- 300/1066: Easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration. I can even add some custom formatting to highlight the different levels (I can even add levels if the interest is there).
- Nerdy stats: This has been super underwhelming for me. I thought it would be more fun than it turned out being. I'm inclined to just cut this.
I would be happy with you cutting both of these. I don't the 300/1066 really tells us much that we couldn't calculate ourselves already. And I had my reservations towards the Nerdy stats when you first proposed doing them, so I would happy to have those go. It's not like being the mean or modal user if something that I am aiming for. The Nerdy stats are probably also the only thing in your awards lineup that isn't really achievement-based.
maxwelldeux wrote:
- X/X: Fairly easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration. Incidentally, this is the hardest thread to get the custom writing correct on.
Yes, keep this up without narration.
maxwelldeux wrote:
- Participation: Fairly easy to keep up with, especially with limited narration. I can even add levels if the interest is there.
I would personally ditch this. Too easy to achieve and doesn't tell us a lot that we don't know already.

Anyway, glad to hear that you are planning to keep this going next year. My life (movie watching wise) would completely and drastically change were the Challenge Olympics to end. :unsure:
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 22nd, 2019, 5:21 pm

I'm with Sol. Drop the three and keep the others. Leaderboard is the most important thing, we can see the participation and 300/1066 stats on there ourselves. I'd want to keep the monthly leaderboard as well.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » November 22nd, 2019, 5:57 pm

Same here to be honest, thanks for all the work !

Would it be an idea to scrap the 3 we talked about and introduce 1 or 2 new awards ?

I was thinking - but please tell me if that would be more work from your side because that's not what I want to happen - we could do something like a king of the world (region based challenges), king of lists (list based challenges), king of time (decade based challenges). It's only something that popped in my head and there are definitely other and better awards that can be invented but just a thought.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 22nd, 2019, 6:13 pm

I'll always be king of pain.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 23rd, 2019, 12:17 am

jeroeno wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:21 pm
I'm with Sol. Drop the three and keep the others. Leaderboard is the most important thing, we can see the participation and 300/1066 stats on there ourselves. I'd want to keep the monthly leaderboard as well.
sol wrote too much for me to quote, so I'm only quoting jeroeno. :P But as sad as this sounds, it hadn't really dawned on me that the info in the Leaderboard actually contained everything you need to calculate some of the awards. :circle: Anyway...

Cool - I can drop Nerdy Stats.

300/1066 I might keep up with only in formatting in the OP and drop the separate award.

Participation is the one I might push back on a bit. Sure, you can tell from the leaderboard how many challenges people have participated in. BUT, you can't do that for the upper level. Like it's pretty shocking to me that only four people have participated in every challenge with at least five points. So if folks don't care, I don't need to post the award, but this is the only part that's not obvious from the leaderboard.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 23rd, 2019, 12:23 am

Coryn wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:57 pm
Would it be an idea to scrap the 3 we talked about and introduce 1 or 2 new awards ?

I was thinking - but please tell me if that would be more work from your side because that's not what I want to happen - we could do something like a king of the world (region based challenges), king of lists (list based challenges), king of time (decade based challenges). It's only something that popped in my head and there are definitely other and better awards that can be invented but just a thought.
I'm open to new challenges (as long as I don't have to custom write for them). But when you say "king of the..." what do you mean?