Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Official Challenge Awards & Stats - Feedback & Planning

Should we have a "2019 Challenge Series and Awards" thread?

Poll ended at November 30th, 2018, 4:48 am

Yes - please continue this next year!
86%
No - please stop doing this.
5%
I don't know and/or I don't care
9%

Total votes: 22

blocho
Donator

Re: Official Challenge Awards & Stats - Feedback & Planning

Post by blocho » November 23rd, 2019, 2:50 am

You can drop narration for all, I think. x/x and participation are the ones I read.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 23rd, 2019, 2:54 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 12:17 am
Cool - I can drop Nerdy Stats.

300/1066 I might keep up with only in formatting in the OP and drop the separate award.

Participation is the one I might push back on a bit. Sure, you can tell from the leaderboard how many challenges people have participated in. BUT, you can't do that for the upper level. Like it's pretty shocking to me that only four people have participated in every challenge with at least five points. So if folks don't care, I don't need to post the award, but this is the only part that's not obvious from the leaderboard.
Of course - that makes perfect sense. :facepalm: So, maybe keep up Participation as an award, but only track those with 5+ viewings. B)

And yep, drop the 300/1066 awards.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Coryn

Post by Coryn » November 23rd, 2019, 8:14 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 12:23 am
Coryn wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:57 pm
Would it be an idea to scrap the 3 we talked about and introduce 1 or 2 new awards ?

I was thinking - but please tell me if that would be more work from your side because that's not what I want to happen - we could do something like a king of the world (region based challenges), king of lists (list based challenges), king of time (decade based challenges). It's only something that popped in my head and there are definitely other and better awards that can be invented but just a thought.
I'm open to new challenges (as long as I don't have to custom write for them). But when you say "king of the..." what do you mean?
King of the world:
January: Balkans
February: Africa
March: India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh

King of lists
January: 1000>400
February: Academy Award Nominees

King of Genres
January: SciFi/Fantasy
February: Blaxploitation

Some kind of separate ranking that counts the whole year because points for february challenges are counted with the january ones, just an example of course.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 25th, 2019, 9:51 am

How about a gold, silver and bronze award for the top 3 challengers every month (points combined over all 3 challenges, not movies combined)?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 25th, 2019, 11:08 pm

jeroeno wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 9:51 am
How about a gold, silver and bronze award for the top 3 challengers every month (points combined over all 3 challenges, not movies combined)?
Is that the just the top three of the monthly leaderboard? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Coryn

Post by Coryn » November 25th, 2019, 11:20 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 11:08 pm
jeroeno wrote:
Is that the just the top three of the monthly leaderboard? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Yes that would be cool as well, it could also involve a country ranking like that where everybody represents their country.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 26th, 2019, 5:57 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
jeroeno wrote:
That's it. Maybe a Nice way to get people to join all three challenges.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 27th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Hiya Max and happy thanksgiving,

I agree with sol and jeroeno's posts here so you can count on my support for those changes as well.

The awards are fun and your write-ups are too, but I could tell they must be weighing on you in the latter part of this year as they seemed to come later each month. I think it's more important to slim them down and get them posted closer to the finish time for the previous month's challenges, and the main thing is really maintaining the leader boards.

I hope you are not feeling down about cutting back on this. Your awards got me much more involved with the challenges here and I am sure they did that for others too based on the participation for the last couple of years. You've really been a positive force around here and I don't think scaling back will hurt that a bit.

:cheers:

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 27th, 2019, 7:59 pm

jeroeno wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 5:57 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
jeroeno wrote:
That's it. Maybe a Nice way to get people to join all three challenges.
Saw this after my last post. Something scaled down like this excellent suggestion might actually be better than running the full slate of different awards - especially if it helps you maintain your sanity!