This is our new forum, if you have questions see THIS THREAD
If you had an account we've reset the password, click the "I forgot my password" link on the login page and check your spam. If you still have trouble go to the old forum and check your PMs or make a post for help, or send an email to Admin@icmforum.com
Thank you to everyone who donated to our fundraiser: https://fundrazr.com/01Mtqd for helping make this happen.
500<400 2018 Update (Results)
Polls: 1991 (Results), Germany (Oct 20th), 1946 awards (Oct 23rd), Horror (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, LGBTIQ+, Iberian Countries
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D (Oct 21st), Match 2E (Nov 4th)
Film of the Week: À Flor do Mar

The official LGBTIQ+ challenge - October 2018

albajos

The official LGBTIQ+ challenge - October 2018

Post by albajos » September 28th, 2018, 9:13 am

The LGBTIQ+ Challenge 2018

Goal:
Watch as many LGBTIQ+-themed movies as you can (or want to).

Definition:
As this is a themed challenge the definition can be a bit vague, but to note that any film with a token gay character do really not fit the challenge. Neither do anything with shipping fandoms to them, but which is not actual explored in the actual movie.

Everything in the official Flare list is of course allowed. Not everything there do fit the spectrum, but has been important to the voters when they came to terms with their sexuality. If you find any other movies like that feel free to ask if they fit.

Please see:
Stories in which the main plot focus on LGBTIQ+
Stories in which the main characters or major supporting characters are part of the LGBTIQ+ spectrum
The main spectrum do as of today include
LShow
Lesbian
GShow
Gay
BShow
Bisexual
TShow
Transpersons (note, this is persons that defines as another gender than they were born with. People that just cross-dress just for the fetish are not part of this challenge. So no movies like Tootsie, Just one of the Girls, Shakespeare in Love etc.
IShow
Intersex
QShow
Queer (umbrella definition - in this challenge: any movie about a group of people, like L & G together in Pride (2014) or the movement as a whole)
QShow
Questioning - there is a few movies where this is the topic. For example Attenberg where she tries out almost every LGBTIQ+ letter to discover herself. (as this would include another letters, this is not part of bonus challenge)
AShow
Asexual
PShow
Pansexual
othersShow
Genderqueeer (non-binary/neutral/fluid) is a more popular term in later years. One can defend it getting a letter of it's own, but most do fit in some of the other categories. (it wont be part of the bonus challenge) Several countries has allowed a third gender in their passports though: Nepal, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Germany, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Malta, Denmark, maybe more.

I will also allow BDSM as long as it is the main plot. Not that I recommend anyone to see 50 Shades of Grey :ph43r: (it wont be part of the bonus challenge)
We allow TV-episodes in this theme as some TV series do use a single episode to explore the theme. So use the opportunity to watch All in the Family S01E05 Judging Books by Covers for example. Not to watch all of Will & Grace. ;)

Rules:
- A feature film (anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For mini-series, an episode over 40 minutes counts as one entry, or else they have to be added up to 60 minutes.
- For TV series, an episode over 40 minutes counts as one entry, or else they have to be added up to 60 minutes.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- Rewatches are allowed and good for the soul. But I recommend to expamd and explore particularly in this theme.
- Challenge runs from October 1st till October 31st 2018 (your local time)

Please post original title (and aka if you want) and year. That makes it easier for me to create bonus stats during the challenge.
Also if you're in the top 3, please post regularly (at least every second day). So that the competiton stays fair.
Finally, you have 72 hours to post the final results in this thread. So when I post my standings November 4th those will be final.

Official Lists:
BFI Flare's Best LGBT Films of All Time

Other notable lists: Personal lists: (Thanks to xianjiro for collecting the lists)

Bonus challenge:
Try to see as much of the spectrum as possible this month. As far I can see the max is currently 8. In case of a tie, the one that have seen the most of each of the 8 wins.
current resultShow
Rank Participant Count all 8
1 albajos 7 1
2 maxwelldeux 3 1
3 sol 7 0
4 jdidaco 5 0
5 psychotronicbeatnik 4 0
6 3eyes 4 0
7 Fergenaprido 4 0
8 allisoncm 4 0
9 72allinncallme 3 0
10 hurluberlu 3 0
11 RogerTheMovieManiac88 2 0
12 Mate_cosido 2 0
13 sebby 2 0
14 Cocoa 1 0
15 OldAle1 1 0
16 blocho 1 0
17 flavo5000 1 0
17 weirdboy 1 0

Record:
The LGBTIQ+ challenge has been held once before, back in 2015. Fergenaprido has the current high score with 27. The full standings can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=527182#p527182

Rank Participant Count PB
1 jdidaco 50 FT
2 albajos 41 FT
3 psychotronicbeatnik 22 FT
4 maxwelldeux 18 FT
4 sol 18 FT
6 72allinncallme 17 FT
7 RogerTheMovieManiac88 15 FT
8 Fergenaprido 13 27
9 3eyes 11 19
10 allisoncm 10 10
11 OldAle1 5 FT
12 Cocoa 4 FT
12 Mate_cosido 4 FT
12 sebby 4 FT
15 blocho 3 FT
15 hurluberlu 3 FT
17 flavo5000 1 FT
17 nimimerkillinen 1 FT
17 weirdboy 1 FT

19 users - 241 watches - 12,68 average
All our watches are here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040572727/

(2015: 9 users - 100 watches - 11,11 average)
Last edited by albajos on October 19th, 2018, 9:31 am, edited 37 times in total.

albajos

Post by albajos » September 28th, 2018, 9:39 am

If you need suggestions to the letters here are a few:

L - Carol, Mädchen in Uniform
G - Brokeback Mountain, Chun gwong cha sit, My Beautiful Laundrette
B - La vie d'Adèle, Velvet Goldmine
T - Transparent, Transamerica, The Danish Girl
I - Both, XXY
Q - Pride, 8, Camp Out
A - BoJack Horseman (the character Todd)
p - Every Day, Sense8

(I haven't seen all of these, so maybe we can trust Wikipedia?)
Last edited by albajos on September 28th, 2018, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 28th, 2018, 10:32 am

I’m in. Aiming for bronze on the official list. 37/105 (+16)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 28th, 2018, 12:05 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 10:32 am
I’m in. Aiming for bronze on the official list. 37/105 (+16)
I might aim for Silver - only 25 films to go.

That said, I am almost certainly going to concentrate on Horror next month, so that's probably not likely. :huh:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 28th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I might rewatch The Skin I Live In next month because (a) it's an awesome film, and (b) it's a triple, fitting into all three challenges. It might be a bit spoilerific though to say which part of the spectrum it fits in though. :unsure:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 28th, 2018, 12:15 pm

By the way, I absolutely love the fact that there are so many extensive lists in the OP. :D

Unlike country or genre challenges, this is a theme that requires a bit of knowledge/research, so really great to have all those links. Kudos to yourself and xianjiro.
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » September 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm

sol wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 12:15 pm
By the way, I absolutely love the fact that there are so many extensive lists in the OP. :D
I do also have an asexual list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls063653184/

But since to be on that list they have to have clear references, main characters or main plot threads it's disappointingly short. I can probably find more documentaries though.

(I'll add it to the OP when I find 10 or more)

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 28th, 2018, 3:02 pm

I aim to watch 15 or so but won't do the bonus challenge. Focus on LGBT films from Africa & the Middle East.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... by_country

Here's my list in case anyone is interested:
LGBT : Africa & Middle EastShow
Unveiled (Ger 05) [Iran/lesbian] - seen
Dakan / Destiny (Guinea 97, G)
Round trip (Israel 04, 95m) L
The bubble (Israel 06, 117m)
Iskanderija... lih? / Alexandria... why? (Egypt 79) [celluloid closet]
Günesi Gördüm / I saw the sun (Turkey 09, T)
The pearl of Africa (Swe/Uganda 16)
The invisible men (Isr/Pal 12, G)
Circumstance (Fr/US/Iran 11, L)
Nazywaj mnie Kuchu / Call me Kuchu (US/Uganda 12, 87m)
God loves Uganda (13) doc
Hamam / Steam: the Turkish bath (Turk-Sp 79)
Aynehaye rooberoo / Facing mirrors (Iran 11)

[can't find where to watch these:]
Be like others (Canada/Iran 08) - trans, doc
Rafiki (Kenya 18)
Stories of our lives (Kenya 14)
Woubi Chéri (Cote d’Ivoire 98) trans]
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 28th, 2018, 3:23 pm

albajos wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm
sol wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 12:15 pm
I do also have an asexual list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls063653184/

But since to be on that list they have to have clear references, main characters or main plot threads it's disappointingly short. I can probably find more documentaries though.

(I'll add it to the OP when I find 10 or more)
Sounds good. I found that asexuality documentary online, so I'll probably make that my first watch for this challenge. Definitely interested in any documentaries about asexuality and pansexuality since they are the areas of the sexuality spectrum that I know the least about.
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 28th, 2018, 4:25 pm

This is awesome! I'm in - and this will probably be my focus this month. My wife has a degree in gender studies, so it'll be easy to get her to watch these films.

For those with access to Kanopy, they have huge LGBT sections in their catalogue - 142 films, and another 256 documentaries.

Awesome OP, albajos! Is there a way you want us to track/report things for the bonus challenge?

albajos

Post by albajos » September 28th, 2018, 4:51 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:25 pm
Awesome OP, albajos! Is there a way you want us to track/report things for the bonus challenge?
Could probably just write (L) (G) etc after the title (year) but I'll need to keep score of everything anyway, so it's not neccessary. I might need to change a few of them afterwards. Basically some L or G movies might be mislabeled as B. Based on the participation 3 years ago I don't think you'll drown me with viewings.

Also movies like Pride which is about the whole movement and/or several of the spectrum at once with an esemble cast I have decided should get the letter Q.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 29th, 2018, 4:26 am

albajos wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:51 pm
Based on the participation 3 years ago I don't think you'll drown me with viewings.
Challenge accepted. B)
albajos wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:51 pm
Also movies like Pride which is about the whole movement and/or several of the spectrum at once with an esemble cast I have decided should get the letter Q.
I assumed that, but I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm planning on watching several docs about the movement as a whole, so I didn't think any of the seven letters applied.

Anyway, I'm super excited!

albajos

Post by albajos » September 30th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Well, I'd be surprised if anyone manage to see 3 of each of the 8. So just have fun. The bonus is just a bonus, no competition.

I've also added genderqueer to the Other category. It's quite a new term to single out so not much media around it. So it's not one of the 8.
But personally I find a movie like Orlando may fit. Literal gender fluidity :lol:

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » October 1st, 2018, 2:47 am

I'm in. Watched the ending of Carol the other day cuz I just wanted to see that look that Cate Blanchett gives.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 1st, 2018, 7:52 am

And boom - let me kick this off...

1. Intersexion (2012)

This is a documentary about intersexed people, touching on a number of societal issues as well as the surgery choices parents have to make. Informative and interesting, though very conventional as a documentary. Good intro to the issue.
Last edited by maxwelldeux on October 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 1st, 2018, 7:54 am

01. But I'm a Cheerleader (1999) USA [Q] 1 official list 2 825 checks
Comedy about a cheerleader which get sent to an Anti-Gay camp. And she didn't even know she was lesbian before she was sent there. As this is a comedy, the camp does the opposite.
I'm putting a Q on this as it's about a camp.
02. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) Australia [G] 5 official lists 8 887 checks
Casting Terence Stamp is this might be the worst casting choice ever, or the best one.
03. Far from Heaven (2002) USA | France [G] 8 official lists 5 372 checks
Her husband gets caught with a lover, but it becomes a subplot in living in the 50s with racial tension.
04. A Single Man (2009) USA [G] 2 official lists 10 618 checks
After losing his boyfriend in an accident George is heartbroken. It's the 50s and Julianne Moore are still here. ;p
(t1a) All in the Family S01E05 Judging Books by Covers (1971) USA[/b] [G] 1 check 26 min.
Well, I might as well watch this myself. Archie Bunker was maybe the biggest bigot on primetime TV. So when an old friend home him comes out as gay, his worlds collide.
05. Female Trouble (1974) USA [Flare] 4 official lists 970 checks
No bonus challenge on this as it seem that is is just on the Flare list because of Divine. There are tiny references to homosexuality, but no big plot.
06. Paris Is Burning (1990) USA [Q] 5 official lists 1 503 checks
Q as this interviews both G and T.Personally I have never seen the point of drag artists. I still don't, but it is clearly a way for them to easily get acceptance to who they are. All the other perfornances they show in this are interesting though, like Voguing.

I'm also watching all of My so-called Life. I don't know if any episodes will count, but her friend is gay in the whole series. I'll add one if there is a bigger plot point about it.

Flare progress
+6 (40%)

I will update this imdb list with all our watches: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040572727/
Last edited by albajos on October 1st, 2018, 8:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 1st, 2018, 8:10 am

I intend to watch a few.

Here's a list that I keep maintained of my fave LGBT+ films: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027618047/. I hope I'll be able to add a few more titles on to it throughout October.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 1st, 2018, 12:51 pm

1. (A)sexual (2011)

This is an interesting subject and the struggle "ace" individuals to fit into a society obsessed with trying to explain their asexuality rather just accepting them was touching. Particularly curious for me was the rift with the Queer community and aromantic asexuals ("there's a place for soloists"). The documentary could have benefited from more interviews with people on the street though and less focus on asexualty.org founder David Jay -- it almost feels like a biopic about him -- but As a non-ace person, I generally found this compelling and informative.
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 1st, 2018, 12:54 pm

1-3. A very English scandal (UK 18, mini, 3eps @60m) - G
(gee I might be #2 for a few minutes.)

Back when I was getting my news from the International Herald Tribune, Jeremy Thorpe was the hope of the Liberal Party. Guess the scandal happened after we came back to the US. Anyway, this is quite a romp. And spans the period when sodomy was/wasn't illegal in Britain.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 1st, 2018, 12:59 pm

sol wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 12:51 pm
1. (A)sexual (2011)
Well, we're not to fond of the documentary. The asexuals they interview do have extreme interests (which most of us don't have). And the documentary ending with him getting into a "normal" relationship kind of ruined the whole message.

But we're all about Visibility and Education. That documentary is at least well known by many.
3eyes wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 12:54 pm
1-3. A very English scandal
Thanks for reminding me. I was actually going to see it last month but forgot about it. But now it fits the challenge. Hurray!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 1st, 2018, 1:06 pm

albajos wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 12:59 pm
sol wrote:
1. (A)sexual (2011)
Well, we're not to fond of the documentary. The asexuals they interview do have extreme interests (which most of us don't have). And the documentary ending with him getting into a "normal" relationship kind of ruined the whole message.

But we're all about Visibility and Education. That documentary is at least well known by many.
Thanks for the tip. I was trying to work out what your position on the doco was (I noticed that it wasn't among your Favourites or Dislikes on iCM). I would have liked more exploration of aromantic asexuals, since as a single guy I could relate to that stance about being okay as a soloist. I'm not about to spend all my free time searching for a partner just because society says that I should.

Here's a question: are there are other docos or videos about asexuality on YouTube that you would recommend? And if so, can I include 60 minutes worth as one point, even if they are non-professional films (and thus don't have iCM or IMDb pages)?
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » October 1st, 2018, 1:30 pm

sol wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 1:06 pm
Here's a question: are there are other docos or videos about asexuality on YouTube that you would recommend? And if so, can I include 60 minutes worth as one point, even if they are non-professional films (and thus don't have iCM or IMDb pages)?
I don't watch them, I'm not really in the demographic. They are usually for teens trying to discover themselves. Or even younger .
you probably found the documentary at Asexual Media Archives' channel, I'm guessing

There's quite a few
SpoilerShow
OFFICIAL AVEN CHANNEL HERE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkuOph ... 0vf_KFosUA

Channel of AVEN's awesome founder: https://www.youtube.com/user/djrollerman

Aaron Ansuini
Abbie Wells
Accio Ace
Aced it!
An Ace In Spades
Aces Sitcom
The Ace Space
Aces Wild
Adventures of an Asexual
Ally Evans
AmeliaAce
Andrea F (Spanish)
Anna's Bananas
Antstesia (French)
Askapansexual
The Asexual Goddess
Asexual Media Archives
Asexual Outreach
Asexuales México y América Latina (Spanish)
Asexualise
AsexuArt (Spanish)
Ash Hardell
As/Is
Avenites Asexuales (Spanish)
AVENVis (not official AVEN, but from an AVEN conference) 

Blue Phoenix Ace
Brian Langevin

ChandlerNWilson
Cookee Monsterr

DumandsONE

Embly
Estudio Katastrofico (Spanish)
Evan Edinger

firemaren
Fletcher Irvine

GaiaShirley

HeyoDamo

IAmTheMightyG

jennaclarek
JoeeJayy

kaihugstrees

Lauren Harkins

Marshall John Blount
Milenka & Kolya
Milo Stewart
moonchild

OneTakeAsh
OnlyAliceMitchell

PandaFluff
Phoebe Saturn
Pieces of Ace - The Asexual Podcast
Purple Unicorn (Spanish)

QueerAsCat
Queer Kid Stuff
Quinn Creates

sally stanton
saskia and lily
Sam Broadley
Shaquan & Joshua
Shaz Capade
simply_kenna
SpanishQueens (Spanish)
swankivy

thatlittlegeorgia
TheWonderGinger
tolstoying

Undead Burrito Productions

Yasmin Benoit
youngblossom

List with clickable links are here: https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/161 ... youtubers/
They would be shorts or TV-episodes (if part of a series of course) so it would be 60 minutes regardless.

I don't find anything else of professional documentaries, so seems youtube would be your stomping ground.

Everything is point worthy, as long as I get a link. And as long they do have a rational message, there are so many bullshit channels on youtube, but since these youtubers came from our community foum, I'll guess they'll be fine.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 1st, 2018, 2:24 pm

albajos wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 12:59 pm
sol wrote:
1. (A)sexual (2011)
I think it's not uncommon for folks on the spectrum to keep sexuality on the back burner.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 1st, 2018, 4:43 pm

I checked through my collection I was surprised how few I have, and of course I have seen almost all of them

Canada: The L-Word (season 1)
Chile: Una Mujer Fantástica
New Zealand: Heavenly Creatures
Norway: Mannen som elsket Yngve, Sebastians verden, Sønner, Thelma, Åpen Framtid
Sweden: Fucking Åmål, När alla vet
Ukraine: Sappho
USA: Linda and Abilene (but it's Herschell Gordon Lewis so maybe a bit too "sexplotation" for this challenge)

But seems I need to start Prime or Netflix to find titles.

If someone else are goint to Netlix this is supposed to be the genres (change number in html address)
Gay & Lesbian Action & Adventure (222)
Gay & Lesbian Biographical Dramas (1848)
Gay & Lesbian Coming-of-age Movies (2724)
Gay & Lesbian Crime Movies (873)
Gay & Lesbian Cult Movies (2854)
Gay & Lesbian Documentaries (4720)
Gay & Lesbian Dramas (500)
Gay & Lesbian Historical Documentaries (125)
Gay & Lesbian Movies from the 1960s (4374)
Gay & Lesbian Movies from the 1970s (4396)
Gay & Lesbian Movies from the 1980s (4429)
Gay & Lesbian Mysteries (4050)
Gay & Lesbian Political Dramas (4861)
Gay & Lesbian Psychological Movies (5)
Gay & Lesbian Romance (3329)
Gay & Lesbian Showbiz Comedies (2053)
Gay & Lesbian Social & Cultural Documentaries (3408)
Gay & Lesbian Social Issue Dramas (2619)
Gay & Lesbian Tearjerkers (1469)
Gay & Lesbian Thrillers (3091)
Last edited by albajos on October 10th, 2018, 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 1st, 2018, 6:09 pm

In. Will probably try to go through all the Almodovar films I haven't seen and that will get me to almost my self-imposed minimum of 10 for the month, beyond that I dunno. But my concentration will be on horror this month so anybody with any suggested Spanish or Portuguese gay-themed horror films - preferably not super-gory - will be my best bud!

albajos

Post by albajos » October 1st, 2018, 6:38 pm

LGBT-themed horror isn't usually the best representation. (Netflix don't even have a category for it)
All 3 challengesShow
She Killed in Ecstasy
Vampyros Lesbos
LGBTIQ+ HorrorShow
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Thelma
All 1313 movies
Just quickly put together. If someone has a link/titles to add please do.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 1st, 2018, 8:51 pm

Ah, Vampyros lesbos was on my list anyway. I think I may have seen it actually 30-odd years ago but no real memory survives.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 2nd, 2018, 5:49 am

ONE was the first LGBT+ magazine in the USAShow
1. Intersexion (2012) (I)
2. An Act of Love (2015) (Q)

This is a documentary centering around the story of Frank Schaefer. He's a minister in the United Methodist Church (UMC) who performed the wedding ceremony for his gay son. This went against UMC doctrine, and he was put on trial and eventually defrocked. The film discusses the role of religion and the LGBT+ movement, and how/where the LGBT+ movement fits within the UMC. Interesting story.

3. For the Bible Tells Me So (2007) (Q)

A rewatch, though I don't remember this. This documentary focuses on religious fundamentalism and the LGBT+ movement, focusing on the anti-gay bible passages and how most people misinterpret them. This had a nice feel to it with a good bit of emotionality in there. It also provides good fodder to argue against religious whackjobs.

4. Princess Cyd (2017) (B)

In the LGBT section of the ICMFF. A teenage woman visits her aunt in Chicago. The two bond and challenge each other while she meets another young woman she begins to fall for. The film is quite lovely - the characterization of Cyd (the central young woman) is fantastic - she seems like a real person with depth that's hard to achieve in a ~90m feature. She's young and says stupid things, but she's curious and open and sweet. The aunt both challenges her and is challenged by her, and she grows as a person as well. This touches on a lot of issues, but consistently seems grounded in reality. Lovely film - 8/10. [PS: Calling this for "B" in the side challenge as Cyd says she likes everyone and has a love scene with both a man and woman.]

5. The Abominable Crime (2013) (Q)

And here we have a documentary about rampant religious-based homophobia and anti-LGBT violence in Jamaica. Like it's pretty common for gay people to just be shot or hacked to death because they're gay. The doc centers around two people who had to flee the country to save their lives, and one who went back to continue activism there. Interesting story, and taught me something about Jamaica.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 2nd, 2018, 6:37 am

Go, maxwell, go! :circle: I know you've never won a challenge, but if you can keep up that pace, this might be your first win yet. :sweat: I'm certainly too much of a horror buff to dig in too deep here.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 2nd, 2018, 6:45 am

Oh, I see. I forgot to put (A) after (A)sexual when I posted above. I should have one point in the bonus challenge then (I might well go for the entire 8 if I can find a pansexuality movie).
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » October 2nd, 2018, 7:34 am

sol wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 6:45 am
Oh, I see. I forgot to put (A) after (A)sexual when I posted above. I should have one point in the bonus challenge then (I might well go for the entire 8 if I can find a pansexuality movie).
I only copied maxwelldeux line but forgot to change the name, so you got one. And no need to add the letters, if there is something you disagree with just tell me. I'll keep the imdb list https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040572727/ updated with the letters.

albajos

Post by albajos » October 2nd, 2018, 8:09 am

07. La cage aux folles (1978) France | Italy [G] 4 official lists 1 506 checks
08. The Birdcage (1996) USA [G] 1 official list 5 557 checks
Almost a shot for shot remake. Only with a tiny bit more impro from Williams. Also the black butler has turned into a latin american personal assistant that are even more stereotypical. It's not an extremely difficult plot in these. Daughter of a conservative marries a son of a gay couple.

Flare progress
+6 (40%)

All our watches (with bonus challenge): https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040572727/
And if anyone is interested, here are my favorites of all time (also included the bonus challenge letters there as well): https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027613842/

DivaShow
ABC
02. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)
(t1a) All in the Family S01E05 Judging Books by Covers (1971)
08. The Birdcage (1996)
01. But I'm a Cheerleader (1999)
07. La cage aux folles (1978)
03. Far from Heaven (2002)
05. Female Trouble (1974)
06. Paris Is Burning (1990)
04. A Single Man (2009)

Year
(t1a) All in the Family S01E05 Judging Books by Covers (1971)
05. Female Trouble (1974)
07. La cage aux folles (1978)
06. Paris Is Burning (1990)
02. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)
08. The Birdcage (1996)
01. But I'm a Cheerleader (1999)
03. Far from Heaven (2002)
04. A Single Man (2009)

Off. lists
03. Far from Heaven (2002) 8
02. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) 5
06. Paris Is Burning (1990) 5
07. La cage aux folles (1978) 4
05. Female Trouble (1974) 4
04. A Single Man (2009) 2
08. The Birdcage (1996) 1
01. But I'm a Cheerleader (1999) 1

Checks
04. A Single Man (2009) 10 618
02. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) 8 887
08. The Birdcage (1996) 5 557
03. Far from Heaven (2002) 5 372
01. But I'm a Cheerleader (1999) 2 825
07. La cage aux folles (1978) 1 506
06. Paris Is Burning (1990) 1 503
05. Female Trouble (1974) 970

!seen 8

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » October 2nd, 2018, 12:50 pm

albajos wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 6:38 pm
LGBT-themed horror isn't usually the best representation. (Netflix don't even have a category for it)
All 3 challengesShow
LGBTIQ+ HorrorShow
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Thelma
All 1313 movies
Some others that would at least apply to this and Horror:
Poison (1991) (Todd Haynes movie)
Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker (1981) (While the main crux of the plot is more oedipal in tone, it does feature a sympathetic, persecuted gay character as a major subplot which was extremely rare for early 80's slashers).

There's also this list: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out ... en-n815051
I don't agree with all of its inclusions but it still has some relevant suggestions.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 2nd, 2018, 1:39 pm

The best gay horror film is Otto, or Up with Dead People for my money.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 2nd, 2018, 1:43 pm

Queer WindowShow
1. (A)sexual (2011)

2. L.I.E. (2001)

Paul Dano and Brian Cox are both excellent as the main characters here and the film could have really been something had it chosen to focus on their time together and the genuine bond that develops between them despite their age differences. The film keeps getting sidetracked though with Dano's ridiculously over-the-top comic relief best friends: one who likes to show off his bulge whenever he is aroused; the other, a boy in an intimate sexual relationship with his sister. Bruce Altman is okay as Dano's neglectful workaholic father but has too few scenes.
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 2nd, 2018, 2:29 pm

sol wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 6:37 am
Go, maxwell, go! :circle: I know you've never won a challenge, but if you can keep up that pace, this might be your first win yet. :sweat: I'm certainly too much of a horror buff to dig in too deep here.
Not sure I can keep that pace up, but I always do better when I can get my wife into the challenge.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 2nd, 2018, 4:24 pm

Anyone know anything about Fireworks (1947)?

There are several 10-13 minute versions on YouTube, but IMDB lists a 20m run time, so I'm wondering if there are longer version floating around?

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 2nd, 2018, 4:57 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 4:24 pm
Anyone know anything about Fireworks (1947)?

There are several 10-13 minute versions on YouTube, but IMDB lists a 20m run time, so I'm wondering if there are longer version floating around?
An incredible film of bubbling violence and startling symbolism. Several credible sources cite a 14 or 15-minute running time:

https://www.artforum.com/print/201701/a ... 1947-65390
http://sensesofcinema.com/2003/cteq/fireworks/
That's all, folks!

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » October 2nd, 2018, 6:52 pm

2. Crash (1996)
SpoilerShow
1. Tomboy (2011)
2. Crash (1996)