Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

The OUT Challenge

xianjiro
Donator

The OUT Challenge

Post by xianjiro » January 3rd, 2016, 2:06 am

Wise Jake on Jan 2 2016, 02:20:46 PM wrote:1. Polyester (1981)
2. Female Trouble (1974)
3. Jubilee (1978)
4. Blue (1993)
5. Mulholland Dr. (2001)
6. Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Here's my first batch of films. I mostly just used the lists in the OP as my criteria - with the exception of Jubilee, which I decided to include because it is on the Criterion Collection's Out at Criterion list and was made by a gay director.
Out at Criterion

Oh, a new list! Anyone willing to make it up and add it to iCM?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 3rd, 2016, 2:10 am

Just finished Xavier Dolan's Les amours imaginaries (aka Heartbeats) [2010] - think the French title captures the spirit of the piece better. All that twentysomething romantic angst... time to take a walk.
Last edited by xianjiro on January 3rd, 2016, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

connordenney
Donator

Post by connordenney » January 4th, 2016, 5:05 am

Poison was pretty great, interesting look at a few different characters at the margins of society who seem to be on the outside looking in in a few different ways.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 4th, 2016, 8:38 am

xianjiro on Dec 13 2015, 11:05:47 PM wrote:Sorry, occupied elsewhere. Will change the links to titles relatively soon - maybe later in the week.
My apologies for taking so long to fix the OP - was occupied for the better part of three weeks with a large, emergency repair and remodel in my apartment! Needless to say, I was so preoccupied I totally spaced on the promised fix of our Lists of Lists until today. But it's all done. Hope people find it useful in the months and years to come. :)

sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 4th, 2016, 3:26 pm

xianjiro on Jan 2 2016, 07:06:32 PM wrote:
2. Female Trouble (1974)
3. Jubilee (1978)
4. Blue (1993)
5. Mulholland Dr. (2001)

Here's my first batch of films. I mostly just used the lists in the OP as my criteria - with the exception of Jubilee, which I decided to include because it is on the Criterion Collection's Out at Criterion list and was made by a gay director.
Out at Criterion

I can, but the link doesn't work for me. Even getting to that page from google, it doesn't load for me.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 4th, 2016, 9:17 pm

Fergenaprido on Jan 4 2016, 08:26:37 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Jan 2 2016, 07:06:32 PM wrote:
2. Female Trouble (1974)
3. Jubilee (1978)
4. Blue (1993)
5. Mulholland Dr. (2001)

Out at Criterion

I can, but the link doesn't work for me. Even getting to that page from google, it doesn't load for me.
Huh. Country specific pages or something?

Here's the list of 20 films:
  • The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder
  • Blue Is the Warmest Color -- Abdellatif Kechiche
  • Burroughs: The Movie -- Howard Brookner
  • La Cage aux Folles -- Edouard Molinaro
  • Chasing Amy -- Kevin Smith
  • Je tu il elle -- Chantal Akerman
  • Jubilee -- Derek Jarman
  • The Long Day Closes -- Terence Davies
  • Mala Noche -- Gus Van Sant
  • Maurice -- James Ivory
  • Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters -- Paul Schrader
  • Mulholland Dr. -- David Lynch
  • My Beautiful Laundrette -- Stephen Frears
  • My Own Private Idaho -- Gus Van Sant
  • Naked Lunch -- David Cronenberg
  • A Special Day -- Ettore Scola
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday -- John Schlesinger
  • The Times of Harvey Milk -- Robert Epstein
  • Victim -- Basil Dearden
  • Weekend -- Andrew Haigh

sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 5th, 2016, 2:13 am

xianjiro on Jan 4 2016, 02:17:04 PM wrote:
Fergenaprido on Jan 4 2016, 08:26:37 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Jan 2 2016, 07:06:32 PM wrote:Out at Criterion

Huh. Country specific pages or something?

Here's the list of 20 films:
  • The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder
  • Blue Is the Warmest Color -- Abdellatif Kechiche
  • Burroughs: The Movie -- Howard Brookner
  • La Cage aux Folles -- Edouard Molinaro
  • Chasing Amy -- Kevin Smith
  • Je tu il elle -- Chantal Akerman
  • Jubilee -- Derek Jarman
  • The Long Day Closes -- Terence Davies
  • Mala Noche -- Gus Van Sant
  • Maurice -- James Ivory
  • Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters -- Paul Schrader
  • Mulholland Dr. -- David Lynch
  • My Beautiful Laundrette -- Stephen Frears
  • My Own Private Idaho -- Gus Van Sant
  • Naked Lunch -- David Cronenberg
  • A Special Day -- Ettore Scola
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday -- John Schlesinger
  • The Times of Harvey Milk -- Robert Epstein
  • Victim -- Basil Dearden
  • Weekend -- Andrew Haigh
Strange, it works for me now.

Added it to icm: Out at Criterion

I've seen 7/20. Interesting list, some of which I'd never heard of before

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 5th, 2016, 2:33 am

Fergenaprido on Jan 4 2016, 07:13:37 PM wrote:[clipped]

Strange, it works for me now.

Added it to icm: Out at Criterion

I've seen 7/20. Interesting list, some of which I'd never heard of before
No telling with the Intertubes - I've updated the OP as well. When @brokenface gets a chance, an update to our un/official LGBT Cross Reference list would be useful though I think most of the films on Criterion's list are already on out list. Most, but not all.

sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 13th, 2016, 6:09 am

I don't seem to be numbering my contributions, but just watched Stephen Fry live: More fool me (UK 14) on Netflix streaming (US).

A stage broadcast promoting Fry's new autobiography. Oscar Wilde looms large, both at the beginning and the end. (No mention is made of Fry's first starring movie role as Wilde [1997]).
Last edited by 3eyes on January 13th, 2016, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 15th, 2016, 2:00 am

I've been lousy about saying what I've watched on here - guess I'm not really clued into the whole challenge thing as you guys are doing it. COUGH I'm all about getting those items on the list checked off! Cough, cough. I need to go back through our un/official list and look at the dates to give some idea what I've seen.

The one movie I will mention now that isn't on the un/official list is Deutschland im Herbst (1978) - I was quite surprised at Fassbinder's open sexuality in the film, given the era and all. It's certainly not a LGBT... film, but on the flipside, that opening segment is quite frank in dealing with a gay couple and really matters given Fassbinder's importance as a director and his sexuality as it relates to his body of work (sorry, can't remember the correct way to spell that fancy French word). I just didn't expect to see it depicted when and where it was in this film.
Last edited by xianjiro on January 15th, 2016, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 20th, 2016, 1:51 am

So here's something: I think I've found another list - Queer/Art/Film. I say think because this is one of the more tangential lists. Check out @sorthe's description. Here's the original source.

Is this something we want to include in our list of list (and then in the LGBT Cross Reference)? Why or why not?

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 21st, 2016, 9:23 am

not that anyone is actually wearing this shirt or anything :lol:

EDIT 22 Jan 16: Sorry, this was meant for another thread :blink: though hopefully no one who frequents our little neck of the woods will be offended by the photo. Let me know if it does offend and I'll delete. I can't be bothered reposting it where I'd originally intended it to go at this point.
Last edited by xianjiro on January 23rd, 2016, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 21st, 2016, 10:10 am

Interesting and eclectic list, but I don't think it should be included... it's not about queer films, but any film that inspired a particular queer artist. As an aside, the icm list is very outdated.

And I think the word you're looking for is œuvre ;)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 23rd, 2016, 8:13 am

Thanks for the feedback Fergenaprido! That was pretty much my thought, so unless we read otherwise, it's probably just good enough to leave the post and links where they are. One of the reasons I asked about interest is I too saw how old the iCM list was - but if we weren't really interested in including it, it hardly seemed worthwhile bugging the person who did the list. [Sure will be nice if/when free users of iCM can create more than a single list! I'm not willing to trash my Queer Palm list since it's otherwise been ignored on iCM.]

And yeah, you got the word I was in too much of a rush to find! :)

sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 27th, 2016, 5:33 pm

h. Fine mrtve djevojke [Fine Dead Girls] (2002) - 7.6 - intriguing lesbian thriller from Croatia
3-ii. Scorpio Rising (1964 short) - 7.2 - strange eye candy; didn't really know what to make of this one.
Films seen for the OUT ChallengeShow
a. Magic Mike XXL (2015) - 7.6 - better than the first, suprisingly, though not really a queer film, even though it has some queer characters, but definitely made with queer folks in mind ;)
b. Gerontophilia (2013) - 5.6 - interesting concept from Bruce La Bruce, but baaaaaaad acting
1. Sunset Blvd. (1950) - 8.0 - sure, it's a great film, but it's not queer at all, even if Artie's really really friendly with the lead (whose name I already forgot)
c. Cowboys & Angels (2003) - 7.4 - average gay/straight bromance set in Limerick, Ireland
d. Vic + Flo ont vu un ours (2013) - 7.6 - nice look at an older lesbian and her partner; takes a dark twist toward the end. Worth a look.
2. Contracorriente [Undertow] (2009) - 8.2 - somehow I was not aware of the major plot point before seeing the film, but it was really good. An excellent piece of magical realism that shies away from a typical fairytale ending.
e. After [Time Off] - 6-7ish - not sure if it's a long short film or a short feature film, but I wish it had been longer. Just long enough to construct a solid story with interesting characters and a minimal plot, but it left me wanting more.
3-i. Un chant d'amour (1950 short) - 7.4 - intriguing, to say the least, but I feel like there's not as much reciprocity of feelings between the two cellmates as reviews would have you believe.
f. Performance Anxiety (2012 short) - 7.2 - I'd been wanting to see this for a few years since they first released the trailer... it was all right. An interesting look at a sensitive topic for straight men :D
g. Finding Dad (2012 short) - 6.6 - seems like it's more of a teaser trailer than a short itself. I think it's supposed to be a feature film that keeps being delayed? Not sure if it held my interest enough to make me want to see the full thing.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 28th, 2016, 6:07 am

Yeah, that Scorpio Rising was... different. I think I got it specifically because I saw it on the challenge list and it had official checks. But I can't say it's one I'll remember for ever and ever.

sol can find me here

Jay Mars

Post by Jay Mars » January 28th, 2016, 8:21 pm

xianjiro on Jan 27 2016, 11:07:18 PM wrote:Yeah, that Scorpio Rising was... different. I think I got it specifically because I saw it on the challenge list and it had official checks. But I can't say it's one I'll remember for ever and ever.
Other than Fireworks, Kenneth Anger is a snooze-fest.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 15th, 2016, 7:01 am

i. Kamen [Stone] (1992) - 4.0 - not quite sure how this is considered queer; I didn't pick up on any of the supposed relationship during any part of the film. Not my cup of tea.
4. Love Is Strange (2014) - 8.2 - a sweet little film that makes me really want to see Make Way for Tomorrow before the 1937 nominations are due.
a. Magic Mike XXL (2015) - 7.6
b. Gerontophilia (2013) - 5.6
1. Sunset Blvd. (1950) - 8.0
c. Cowboys & Angels (2003) - 7.4
d. Vic + Flo ont vu un ours (2013) - 7.6
2. Contracorriente [Undertow] (2009) - 8.2
e. After [Time Off] - 7.2
3-i. Un chant d'amour (1950 short) - 7.4
f. Performance Anxiety (2012 short) - 7.2
g. Finding Dad (2012 short) - 6.6
h. Fine mrtve djevojke [Fine Dead Girls] (2002) - 7.6
3-ii. Scorpio Rising (1964 short) - 7.2

Jay Mars

Post by Jay Mars » February 15th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Fergenaprido on Feb 15 2016, 12:01:03 AM wrote:4. Love Is Strange (2014) - 8.2 - a sweet little film that makes me really want to see Make Way for Tomorrow before the 1937 nominations are due.
Yes, watch Make Way for Tomorrow. It's a wonderful movie and one of my all time favorites. Sad though.

I don't know if I've had a list going on here, but I'll add my two cents about a movie I watched the other day anyway.

I finally got around to watching Windows (1980). I've always heard of it described as the lesbian equivalent of Cruising and it more than lives up to its description, which is a shame because it is photographed beautifully and there are a couple of good performances. In a nutshell: Crazy, closeted lesbian (Elizabeth Ashley) hires a guy to brutally rape her neighbor (Talia Shire) so she can comfort her and get closer to her. You know the old adage--the way to a woman's heart is....rape?

So much lesbian-as-a-psychopath nonsense, but a must see for anyone interested in LGBT movies.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 16th, 2016, 4:34 am

The Silver Screen: Color Me Lavender (1997)

Documentary about gay male motifs in Hollywood films of the 30s, 40s, & 50s.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 3rd, 2016, 6:44 am

j. It's Love I'm After (1937) - 7.8 - Not strictly a queer film, but I feel that there was a lot of coded behaviour in the relationship between Leslie Howard and his dresser.
k. Parada [The Parade] (2011) - 7.8 - Rough around the edges, but a decent story that tries hard to get its point across. Target audience is definitely not the LGBTQ crowd though.
l. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - 8.8 - Excellent film. I understand the backlash on the Buffalo Bill character, but I'm not really offended by it; the film seemed to clearly state that he was a unique and troubled case, and not a representative of the trans community. But because of the backlash we got Philadelphia, or so they say, so that's the silver lining.
bonus: Lifeboat (1944) - 8.2 not queer at all, but the lead actress was bisexual, so I felt it appropriate to celebrate that here. Plus, Tallulah Bankhead's dialogue was positively scathing, and entirely quotable for all those queens out there :D
i. Kamen [Stone] (1992) - 4.0
4. Love Is Strange (2014) - 8.2

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 3rd, 2016, 12:01 pm

no queer's EVER quoted Tallulah, darling!

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!

sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 3rd, 2016, 2:26 pm

xianjiro on Mar 3 2016, 05:01:57 AM wrote:no queer's EVER quoted Tallulah, darling!

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!
That's Bette, dahling. Though in reading the trivia on the imdb page, apparently she was originally intended for that role.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 3rd, 2016, 11:02 pm

Googling "famous tallulah bankhead quotes" provides:
  • I'm as pure as the driven slush.
  • Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
  • It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time.
  • I'd rather be strongly wrong than weakly right.
  • If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
  • I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late start without me.
  • Here's a rule I recommend: Never practice two vices at once.
  • They used to photograph Shirley Temple through gauze. They should photograph me through linoleum.
  • Cocaine habit-forming? Of course not. I ought to know. I’ve been using it for years.
  • It's one of the tragic ironies of the theatre that only one man in it can count on steady work -- the night watchman.
So there are plenty of good one's to choose from. I should have done that last night, but that Davis' quote has to be one of the most used in queerdom - though she's got another that I heard a lot "But you are, Blanche. You are in that chair!"

sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » March 20th, 2016, 3:27 am

A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia (UK 92)
There is a scene in which a T E Lawrence (Ralph Fiennes) finds a woman in his bed and laughs nervously and says something like "I'm sorry, its just not in my power." The affection between him and Faisal seems quite natural but not overtly erotic.

Carol (2015)

--

Loved the Tallulah quotes, xianjiro!
Last edited by 3eyes on March 20th, 2016, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 21st, 2016, 7:27 am

Okay. Some time ago I promised to put together a list of movies I've watched for this challenge. Here goes, though certainly there are some films which are not on the Cross Reference List (CRL) that I've watched and don't recall. Also, the numbers, I believe, are those assigned on the CRL - haven't quite got the numbering thing down y'all use - is it numbers for 'official' challenge watches and letters for 'unofficial'? Anyways...

113 Mädchen in Uniform 1931
297 Gohatto 1999
256 Teorema 1968
152 Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean 1982
341 Wish Me Away 2011
331 Les amours imaginaires 2010
288 Blue 1993
214 Sud pralad 2004
72 The Hunger 1983
85 Scorpio Rising 1964
180 Fireworks 1947
185 Flaming Creatures 1963
68 Un chant d'amour 1950
343 Behind the Candelabra 2013
46 Aimée & Jaguar 1999
171 Tomboy 2011

Oops! Forgot the following. It isn't yet officially unofficially - waiting for an update to the CRL

Burroughs: The Movie (1983)

Some unofficial unofficials I remember (will add to this if I recall others):

Mädchen in Uniform (1958)

And others - movies that have some LGBTQI component (out director, star, or homoerotic undercurrent - again, I might add to this)

Il sorpasso (1962)
The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011)
Monarchy with David Starkey (2004)
Elizabeth (2000)
Last edited by xianjiro on March 21st, 2016, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 21st, 2016, 8:02 am

Fergenaprido on Mar 2 2016, 11:44:50 PM wrote:Parada [The Parade] (2011) - 7.8 - Rough around the edges, but a decent story that tries hard to get its point across. Target audience is definitely not the LGBTQ crowd though
If you guys are interested, I could give you a brief look at everything LGBT-themed in Yugoslavian films, and post-break up. There's no more than 5 full-blooded titles in total + footnotes, like first film with anything intentionally gay (which was in Buđenje pacova).

EDIT: Ok here's the overlook.
Significant amount of LGBT-themes:

Ćao inspektore (1985) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/cao+inspektore/
Marble Ass (1995) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/dupe+od+mramora/
Fine mrtve djevojke (2002) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/fin ... +djevojke/
Diši duboko (2004) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/disi+duboko/
Parada (2011) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/parada-2011/
Dvojina (2013) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/dvojina/

Honorable mentions:
First gay character: Buđenje pacova (1967)
First gay scene (no contact, though): Vrane (1969)
First lesbo scene: Čovjek koga treba ubiti (1979)
First threesome: Lepota poroka (1986)
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on March 21st, 2016, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 21st, 2016, 9:11 am

xianjiro on Mar 21 2016, 01:27:45 AM wrote:Also, the numbers, I believe, are those assigned on the CRL - haven't quite got the numbering thing down y'all use - is it numbers for 'official' challenge watches and letters for 'unofficial'? Anyways...

Oops! Forgot the following. It isn't yet officially unofficially - waiting for an update to the CRL

That's just the convention I decided to use, because there are so many queer films that I see that aren't on that cross-reference list that I want to bring attention to.

If you're updating the CRL, or whoever is, then the new BFI list should be included (down to three votes I think is the consensus in the other thread).
Mario Gaborović on Mar 21 2016, 02:02:09 AM wrote:
Fergenaprido on Mar 2 2016, 11:44:50 PM wrote:Parada [The Parade] (2011) - 7.8 - Rough around the edges, but a decent story that tries hard to get its point across. Target audience is definitely not the LGBTQ crowd though
If you guys are interested, I could give you a brief look at everything LGBT-themed in Yugoslavian films, and post-break up. There's no more than 5 full-blooded titles in total + footnotes, like first film with anything intentionally gay (which was in Buđenje pacova).

Fine mrtve djevojke (2002) https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/fin ... +djevojke/

Honorable mentions:
Thanks Mario! I'l add the ones I haven't seen to my watchlist.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 21st, 2016, 11:50 am

Fergenaprido on Mar 21 2016, 03:11:03 AM wrote:
xianjiro on Mar 21 2016, 01:27:45 AM wrote:Also, the numbers, I believe, are those assigned on the CRL - haven't quite got the numbering thing down y'all use - is it numbers for 'official' challenge watches and letters for 'unofficial'? Anyways...

That's just the convention I decided to use, because there are so many queer films that I see that aren't on that cross-reference list that I want to bring attention to.

If you're updating the CRL, or whoever is, then the new BFI list should be included (down to three votes I think is the consensus in the other thread).

Honorable mentions:
Thanks Mario! I'l add the ones I haven't seen to my watchlist.
Wait a second, I didn't tell you important: Dvojina is the weakest film, it's about Slovenian lesbo couple. No need to watch that. Serbian Diši duboko is the same thing but slightly better, yet good for skipping as well. And then you have Fine mrtve djevojke which is better than both - but you've seen that.

Ćao inspektore is also a bad film, but in a good way: blatantly primitive with amateurish direction and spectacular performances; hilarious parody to detective films with many epic lines:

- Do you have a vaseline? (that's the secret code) :lol:

- I'm innocent.

- Kids, don't start without me, I want to be the locomotion! :lol:
(it's a scene where the lead character and gay mafia decide to play "the train", now you can imagine what that means) :lol:

- Those people are dangerous international mafia. They are faggots! :lol:

Of course, Marble Ass is in the category of its own; a no budget film based on personal experiences by two transvestites who played themselves, and became minor celebrities after the film - they appeared in a talk show right after premiere, where they talked openly about their street experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkbmGzQV7Qg

There's a whole story behind the making of this film. But that's after you watched it.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on March 21st, 2016, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 21st, 2016, 7:29 pm

I can update the cross-ref if you give me a list of links to lists you'd like adding.

With the BFI one, you'll also need to decide which cutoff of votes - I'd guess the 3+ (with 105 films) is the one to go for?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 21st, 2016, 11:08 pm

Honorable mentions:
Hey, cool! Thanks! :thumbsup:

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 21st, 2016, 11:23 pm

brokenface on Mar 21 2016, 01:29:01 PM wrote:I can update the cross-ref if you give me a list of links to lists you'd like adding.

With the BFI one, you'll also need to decide which cutoff of votes - I'd guess the 3+ (with 105 films) is the one to go for?
Thanks @brokenface! The only new list (that I know of) is Out at Criterion. edit: I also now know about BFI Flare's Best LGBT Films of All Time - thanks @Fergenaprido! :thumbsup:

Three thoughts:

1) What about updates to the lists? I ask since I'm sure that Out at Criterion will get new titles in the future. So, maybe once or twice a year we need to check the lists, no? I'm happy to do that but encourage anyone who knows of updates to a given queer list - or learns of a NEW one - to post here to call attention to it. After all, this is all unofficially unofficial and all, but it'd be nice to keep up appearance for the sake of the kiddies. :teehee:

2) @brokenface, could you also do a 'complete' cross reference list (without the 3+ lists cutoff)? That way we'll also have a single master list of all LGBTQI listed film on lists in case anyone is interested in that. (what a mouthful)

3) At some time in the future, it would be nice - maybe even useful - to have a list of LGBTQI movies not on lists. I'm not sure what form this would take and what the interest/goal would be, but it would be easier to accumulate those titles somewhere in a single location - so an interested party doesn't have to read through scores of pages of forum posts. Thoughts? Curious what folks think along this line. Just wanted to throw that out for people to 'talk' about.
Last edited by xianjiro on March 23rd, 2016, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 22nd, 2016, 5:18 pm

brokenface, you can use the BFI list that Peaceful added to icm: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bfi+ ... ulanarchy/

Forgot to update last week.

m. Tom à la ferme [Tom at the Farm] (2013) - 7.8 - it may be Xavier Dolan's weakest film (debatable), but I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
n. Appropriate Behavior (2014) - 7.4 - This was just okay, though I get why people praise it.
5. Quinceañera (2006) - 6.4 - The premise is great, and the two leads are pleasant, but a lot of the supporting players can't act, and I had a lot of problems with some of the plotlines.
o. The Danish Girl (2015) - 7.4 - Alicia Vikander was not supporting. Ben Whishaw :wub: & Mathias Schoenaarts were great in this.
p. Carol (2015) - 7.6 - After all of the positive glowing reviews, I was underwhelmed by this. Sarah Paulson was fierce and fabulous; everything else was pretty, but a tad bland.

I'm probably forgetting some shorts; maybe I'll add them later. I watch so many, though, that I'll probably only include the ones on the actual list.
j. It's Love I'm After (1937) - 7.8
k. Parada [The Parade] (2011) - 7.8
l. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - 8.8

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 23rd, 2016, 1:05 am

I've added BFI Flare's Best LGBT Films of All Time to the OP listing.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 28th, 2016, 12:40 am

Just watched Der Samurai (2014) - hmmm, arthouse horror with a blatant homosexual theme given the two main characters are male and the one with the sword wears a dress. It asks a handful of questions and leaves us to decide the answers. Unless TSZDT is one of your favorite lists, probably can give this a pass. It's beautifully shot but the story certainly deserves its inclusion on a sole official list - 366 Weird Movies. Yeah, it was pretty weird alright. :ph43r:

sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 10th, 2016, 4:49 am

q. Tokyo Godfathers (2003) - 8.4 - An unusual anime that I really enjoyed. It's been on my watchlist for a while, but I didn't realize it was a queer film until a month or two ago. Excellent depiction of sidelined characters, unrequited love, and some nice fantastical elements as well. I don't know if I'd call it a Christmas movie, but it's definitely one for the holidays.
r. Zootopia (2016) - 8ish - Saw this in theatres with two coworkers. Malaysia likes to play kids movies at night. We saw the 10:20 show, but there was another after at 12:40. Liked it, and there were 1 (probably 4) coded characters in the film so I'm including it here. This felt much more like a grownup movie than one for kids.
j. It's Love I'm After (1937) - 7.8
k. Parada [The Parade] (2011) - 7.8
l. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - 8.8
m. Tom à la ferme [Tom at the Farm] (2013) - 7.8
n. Appropriate Behavior (2014) - 7.4
5. Quinceañera (2006) - 6.4
o. The Danish Girl (2015) - 7.4
p. Carol (2015) - 7.6

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 10th, 2016, 6:53 am

Loved Tokyo Godfathers - have Zootopia on hold, but it might take a month or two to see. Will probably watch Carol tomorrow and will have a documentary about lgbtq rights in Russia this coming Friday (ran across it quite by accident and thought what the heck).

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 11th, 2016, 5:55 am

Carol - just finished watching it and really, really liked it. Amazing visuals and wonderful acting, slow and thoughtful. Really magnificent work and another interesting look at queers in the Eisenhower 'burbs.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 14th, 2016, 8:58 am

Just finished Land of Storms (2014) - Hungary. File this one under small town homophobia and you've got most of the plot points except one guy's gay and the other is probably bi-curious. Oh, and something of an ex drops in. The ending is either predictable or it comes as a bit of a surprise. This is more a gay movie with a touch of erotica for the art house set rather than the usual gay stuff we find that's largely gone right to video. However, not sure I'd swim the Danube to see it. Still, wasn't the worst 1:45 I spent today.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 18th, 2016, 8:52 am

Cross of Iron (1977) - certainly not a queer film, but has a closeted homosexual character who is blackmailed. That aside, the character is portrayed as a human (in an inhumane situation) - so cheers to Peckinpah for that.

sol can find me here