Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Run The Director Challenge (Official, July 2020)

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Re: Run The Director Challenge (Official, July 2020)

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 1st, 2020, 4:48 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 1:00 pm
Hey folks. The OP has updated for the penultimate time. Please check your stats again to make sure everything is up to date!

I'll post the final results probably tomorrow morning (CST time), so that'll give about 24 hours to wrap up any write-ups or last minute posts you guys may have (I've got four more write-ups to do myself... :sweat: ).

I hope everybody had fun with this one! I wonder if a challenge with basically the same rules would work for an actor filmography. :think:
I think you looked over my last two posts.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 1st, 2020, 5:29 pm

They Don't Take Direction, They Give ItShow

1 - The Filmmaker Neil Breen, The Light of This World

1. Double Down (2005)
2. I Am Here....Now (2009)
3. Fateful Findings (2013)
4. Pass Thru (2016)
5. Twisted Pair (2018)

2 - Brett Kelly, the David Michael Latt of the North

6. Hell at My Heels (2011)
7. Rise of the Black Bat (2012)
8. Jesse James: Lawman (2015)

3 - Claude Jutra - dour Quebecker making dire films in Ontario & BC

9. Dreamspeaker (1976)
10. Surfacing (1981)
11. By Design (1981)

4 - Robert Zemeckis - mid-century Americana through rose-colored glasses, plus monsters

12. I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978)
13. Beowulf (2007)
14. Back to the Future (1985) (re-watch)
15. Back to the Future Part II (1989) (re-watch)
16. Back to the Future Part III (1990) (re-watch)

John Sturges - Later Classic-Era Tough Guy

17. The Scarlet Coat (1955)
18. The Sign of the Ram (1948)
19. Shadowed (1946)
20. Alias Mr. Twilight (1946)
21. The Capture (1950)
22. The People Against O'Hara (1951)
23. Underwater! (1955)
24. The Old Man and the Sea (1958)
25. Sergeants 3 (1962)

Don Edmonds - Sultan of Sleaze

26. Tender Loving Care (1972)
27. Ilsa: She-Wolf of the S.S. (1975) (re-watch)
28. Ilsa: Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1976)

Alvin Rakoff - Canuck jack-of-all-genres

29. City on Fire (1979)
30. King Solomon's Treasure (1979)
31. Death Ship (1980)

Lloyd A. Simandl - lingerie, shower & leather fetishist, purveyor of awful cinema

32. Autumn Born (1979)
33. Ladies of the Lotus (1987)
34. Possession (1987)
35. Empire of Ash aka Empire of Ash II (1988)
36. Empire of Ash III (1989)

Denys Arcand - talky, mordant chronicler of the way we live now

37. Seul ou avec d'autres / Alone or with Others (co-directed with Denis Héroux and Stéphane Venne, 1962)'
38. Réjeanne Padovani (1973)
39. L'âge des ténèbres / The Age of Ignorance (2007)
40. Le règne de la beauté / An Eye for Beauty (2014)

Rafal Zielinski - purveyor of generic 80s teen comedy schlock

41. Screwballs (1983)
42. Loose Screws aka Screwballs II (1985)
43. Recruits (1986)
44. State Park (1988)
45. Last Resort aka National Lampoon's Last Resort (1994)

Steven Spielberg, Poet of Suburban Adolescent Dreams

46. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) (re-watch)
47. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) (re-watch)
48. Savage (1973)
49. The Sugarland Express (1974) (re-watch)
50. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
51. E.T.: The Extraterrestrial (1982) (re-watch)
Roger Corman - King of the Bs

(I believe Roger's the guy on the left. The guy on the right looks just a little bit familiar as well, can't quite place it...)

Roger Corman was born in Detroit in 1926 and trained as an engineer at Stanford, but quickly lost interest in the profession and got involved in film in minor capacities, taking some time off in the early 50s to study literature at Oxford - he may have made his bread and butter on drive-in fair, but he's clearly no dummy. In 1954 he made his entry into low-budget filmmaking, mostly as a producer but sometimes as a writer, actor or director - "sometimes" to the tune of over 50 films in the latter capacity, but that's peanuts compared to the hundreds of biker films, cheap war films, westerns, sexploitation flicks, sci-fi and horror, and even occasionally foreign arthouse pictures that he's helped to bring to the screen in a career lasting almost 70 years, and still going strong until COVID put his, and everybody else's productions on halt.

Corman's directorial career encompasses many popular genres and was always geared to making a quick buck, but there's a lot more quality to be found here in my opinion than his critical rep would have it. There's a strong progressive streak throughout his oeuvre - while his films are rarely overtly political, it's easy to see in his regular use of women in lead roles - sometimes playing sheriffs or other leaders, a rarity when Corman started out, and in films like the racially-charged The Intruder the vision of a man who thought we might be better off in a film-world that wasn't just sticking to what Hollywood had done all along. Of course his low budgets and self-production also made him better able to occasionally hit on tough subjects, or bring more modern values into even his cheaper and more overtly populist, juvenile productions. There's also a streak of pessimism that runs through much of his work - more downer endings than you might expect in this kind of material, though there's usually reason to hope as well - he's not an absolute cynic. At least I hope not, though who could blame him at this point?

Look for many of the same faces to keep showing up in Corman's early work - he had his own stock company, more or less, which included Dick Miller (whose first 14 films were all directed by Corman), Beverly Garland, Mike Conners (Mannix), Russell Johnson (The Professor) and Susan Cabot. Also look for films set in and filmed in the tropics - something Corman loved early on - and a cheaper environment to shoot in than, say, France or Britain or Los Angeles.

52. Swamp Women (1956)

A large diamond heist has never been recovered; cops suspect a gang of three women currently in prison, but can't get them to talk, so they send an undercover policewoman to help break the trio out of prison, and find the hidden diamonds, somewhere in the swamps of Louisiana. Marie Windsor (the Joan Crawford of the Bs) is the self-proclaimed leader of the girl gang, and Beverly Garland (who was to Audrey Totter what Totter was to Gloria Grahame) the bitchiest of the group. Along the way they pick up a man and a woman in a boat and force them to go along. This is quite short like most of these early Cormans - just over an hour - but feels a little draggy nonetheless as the constant bickering gets old, and it suffers a typical problem for this kind of B picture - a too-quick and unconvincing wrap-up. The cast isn't bad and it was shot on location so it has a little bit of authenticity to it, but overall just average at best.

53. The Oklahoma Woman (1956)

The third of Corman's four westerns, which are underrated as a group - Corman had a natural feel for the genre I think and being able to do a lot on a small budget served him in good stead in a genre that didn't require lots of effects, and was still fairly commonly done cheaply and in black and white as in this case. Here we have Richard Denning as a man returning to his hometown after 6 years in jail, and getting involved in a feud between two women - one a former lover - who are trying to run the town through the mayor. The ex-girlfriend (B stalwart Peggie Castle) runs the saloon and the town more or less and has the current incumbent in her pocket, but her rival - good girl Cathy Downs - is running a strong opposition through her father. Of course Denning picks the right/moral side and there's lots of gunfights and sabotage and people going to jail or almost hung in this 73 minute oater. Once again mostly female-led, and a strong and somewhat unusual ending make this possibly the director's best western and best film up to this point.

54. Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957)

The first of nine films from 1957, this is a typical 50s atomic-energy-creates-monsters type flick, with a group of scientists and a couple of military guys and a radio man (Russell Johnson, in training I guess for his role on Gilligan's Island) on an island with giant crab-like creatures (pretty cheesy looking - ok VERY cheesy looking, but in the context of low-budget 50s stuff probably just average) that slowly whittle down their numbers, and somehow also whittle down the island, meanwhile absorbing the memories of their victims and sending psychic impulses to the survivors to get them to go out and die as well. Not necessarily a bad premise but poorly done overall.

55. The Undead (1957)

The surprise pick not just of this Corman run but of the whole month as it turns out. I think part of what I loved so much about it is that it reminds me of Corman's heyday, beginning a few years later, with Vincent Price doing those Poe and Poe-ish films, though this is obviously much cheaper and in b/w and stylistically not really similar at all. It's also (sort of) a time travel film: scientist Val Dufour sends a hooker he found on street (Pamela Duncan) centuries back in time into her former life as a French woman accused of witchcraft, and about to be executed. But with the 20th century mind within her, she figures out a way to escape, and several adventures - and potential changes to her future timeline, her future lives as it were, occur. The medieval-set storyline is all done in a faux-Shakespearean language that I personally found delightful, and this is the earliest film in this sequence that offers much in the way of humor - something Corman was good at, but didn't always include; I find his less-serious or at least self-aware and sometimes self-mocking work overall his best. A terrific low-rent cast includes Dick Miller in a bit as a leper (cured by Satan don't ya know - oh did I forget that ol' Lucifer is a big player here? he is), Allison Hayes as a real witch, Mel Welles as a cheerful, rhyming gravedigger, etc etc. Huge fun if you can get past the cheap sets and all, and if you can't why are you watching Corman? Maybe his best film of the 50s (Machine-Gun Kelly is it's only competition) and one of the most underrated films on IMDb if you ask me.

56. Naked Paradise (1957)

All right film about a trio of criminals who get a small boat captain to unwittingly help them in their escape from one island in Hawaii to another, where they're to rendezvous with a bigger boat. Unfortunately a tropical storm gets in the way of things, and the captain (Richad Denning) eventually figures out that these guys aren't the businessman and assistants that he thought they were, and that secretary Beverly Garland isn't exactly happy in her roles as arm-candy for boss Leslie Bradley. Dick Miller plays the more psycho of the two henchmen, and Corman and producer and longtime associate Samuel Z. Arkoff both have bit parts. Nicely shot - I guess, it was a rather poor copy - and a fun cast, but pretty ordinary overall.

57. Rock All Night (1957)

Westerns were done, noir was dying, there's only so much sci-fi and horror you can do... so now we're into the teen movie phase of Corman's career. This one is in fact kind of a noir, though it doesn't start out that way - first you have a couple of songs by The Platters with teens dancing and stuff, then we move on to the main story of a bar taken over by a couple of punk criminals, the more aggressive of whom is none other than Russell Johnson, here playing a role VERY different from his Gilligan work. Also on hand is a talkative and cyncial barfly (Dick Miller) who got tossed out of the bar in the first musical scene, an aspiring singer lacking confidence, a reporter, etc, etc. It's stagy and as it turns out based on a play, so no wonder, but a terrific cast and music make it a lot of fun - and at just over an hour it certainly doesn't wear out it's welcome. Mel Welles' hipster agent/promoter guy ("Sir Bop") seems like a parody but I really don't know the milieu well enough to say - I thought he was fairly amusing.

58. Sorority Girl (1957)

Another juvie, this one set at a girl's boarding school. Susan Cabot plays a rich girl with no friends and an icy relationship with her icier mother who plots little bits of revenge and destructive gossip towards the other girls who she hates and imagines hate her. There's also a somewhat strange voiceover by Cabot indicating at times that she's aware of how destructive she is but it all feels rather muddled ultimately. Dick Miller is here as the owner of a club who becomes one of her major targets. Some promising bits here and I always like Cabot and Miller but it's just not enough.

59. Teenage Doll (1957)

Third youth movie in a row is a very typical juvie-noir, about a girl gang all trying to keep the cops off of themselves after one girl gets murdered, apparently by another in the group. All the actresses seem to be in their mid-20s; this is an issue in the previous film as well but really noticeable here where it's quite clear that everybody's supposed to be in high school. The girls quickly figure out how to pin the crime on somebody and they all get a bunch of money together to... I'm not sure what. Got sort of muddled, or I lost track. Climax in a junkyard with both girl- and guy-gangs isn't bad but overall, pretty forgettable.

60. Carnival Rock (1957)

Despite the title this one's not actually a juvie, instead a more overtly noirish story about a love triangle set in a carnival. Nightclub owner Christy (David Stewart), a big 50ish Greek guy has the hots for his much younger star, Susan Cabot, but she's interested in a young businessman (future director Brian G. Hutton) who's angling for Christy's place - and Christy's deeply in debt, and his right-hand man (Dick Miller) can't seem to do anything to help him out. This is a pretty nicely done and rather morose (though not quite tragic) story of failure and obsession, one of the more serious and less overtly genre-influenced of the director's works, and Stewart and Miller are both pretty terrific.

61. Teenage Caveman (1958)

Robert Vaughn is rather miscast as a loquacious and quite articulate caveman who's always wondering what's over the river or the next hill, even though it's FORBIDDEN! None of the people in this caveman epic have names so he's "The Symbol-Maker's Son" while his father (Leslie Bradley) is "The Symbol-Maker" and the chief rival to that personage's power is "The Black-Bearded One" (Frank DeKova). The tribe has discovered fire, and the wheel, and Vaughn figures out how to make a bow-and-arrow, but they're restricted to a very small area and The Black-Bearded One is willing to kill anyone who deviates from The Law. Shades of Bela Lugosi and The Island of Lost Souls maybe? But as I said Vaughn - and the other cavemen - are surprisingly well spoken, and at the end of the film we find out why, which may not be any surprise to you if you've seen a certain rather more famous sci-fi film made 10 years later... Anyway, this is another film significantly better than it's lowly reputation - the conflict between the progressives and reactionaries is pretty well developed in the brief run-time, and the various monsters while not exactly impressive aren't as bad as they often are in these things - and they really aren't that important. Corman social science fiction in the end, and I like it.

62. She Gods of Shark Reef (1958)

And then we get this, which is one of the weaker films in the Corman canon. It's not really a fantasy or horror film as you might expect from the title, but a crime pic about a couple of brothers, one of them basically a good guy who believes in the good in the other one, misguidedly - who are stranded on an island run by women after escaping from the law. The good bro falls in love, the bad one plots to steal the pearls that are the women's livelihood. Shot in Hawaii, with a secondary (uncredited) cast that looks Hawaiian, but a Polish love interest (Lisa Montell) and Russian tribal leader (Jeanne Gerson). Montell can pull off the exotic look, Gerson definitely couldn't; Corman often does better in his casting of ethnic minorities than a lot of directors in this era, but not this time. Overall predictable and dull.

63. I Mobster (1959)

"Predictable and dull" is also an apt description for this, one of the least of the director's crime films. Steve Cochran narrates and stars as Joe Sante, neighborhood kid become mob boss, starting out as a runner for a bookie and quickly rising through the ranks for his willingness to do anything, and his lack of sentimentality. This has the hoary old elements like his abandonment of his family, rising up above the guy who used to be his boss, etc, etc, but offers little of interest if you've seen a few mob films.

64. Last Woman on Earth (1960)

Exactly what the title implies. A businessman (Anthony Carbone), his wife (Betsy Jones-Moreland) and lawyer (Robert Towne, yes, the screenwriter of Chinatown - and this film, his first writing credit) are out fishing off the coast of Puerto Rico and are all underwater when something happens that whisks away the Earth's oxygen apparently - briefly - and kills all humans and higher animals. At least that's what we experience - radios have gone silent and they have no way to communicate with the rest of the world, so it's never quite clear. But in any case when they get back to land they find everyone dead and, not surprisingly, a psychological battle begins between the three survivors. Shot on location (as was the subsequent Creature from the Haunted Sea - Corman always liked to use a location twice, saved money and time), this makes excellent use of both the island's natural beauty and some interesting architecture, and while it's a familiar story it's pretty well done with a rather surprising ending. Not on the level of Five or The World, the Flesh and the Devil, but a solid enough entry in the "everybody's dead but us few" apocalypse sub-genre.

65. Ski Troop Attack (1960)

Yet another film that I found much better than it's IMDb rating would indicate (you just can't trust that site on Corman or most older b movies frankly), a simple hour-long "men on a mission" war movie about a squad of American troops during the Battle of the Bulge, Christmas 1944, who have to decide between going back to their troops and serious fighting, and moving in another direction to provide scouting reports. They choose the latter but get into plenty of trouble including running into a young Nazi woman in a hut, and eventually finding a bridge that needs to get blowed up real good. Pretty solid wintertime snowy mountain excitement here though it's hardly a masterpiece or anything. Good interpersonal conflicts, especially between the tall, cool lieutenant (sometime Corman regular Michael Forest, still acting today at 91) and the hotheaded sergeant (another Corman reg, Michael Wolff).

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 1st, 2020, 6:24 pm

1. Double Down (2005)
4. Pass Thru (2016)
5. Twisted Pair (2018)

9. Dreamspeaker (1976)
10. Surfacing (1981)
11. By Design (1981)

4 - Robert Zemeckis - mid-century Americana through rose-colored glasses, plus monsters

13. Beowulf (2007)

19. Shadowed (1946)
21. The Capture (1950)
23. Underwater! (1955)
25. Sergeants 3 (1962)

29. City on Fire (1979)
31. Death Ship (1980)

Lloyd A. Simandl - lingerie, shower & leather fetishist, purveyor of awful cinema

32. Autumn Born (1979)
34. Possession (1987)

37. Seul ou avec d'autres / Alone or with Others (co-directed with Denis Héroux and Stéphane Venne, 1962)'

41. Screwballs (1983)
43. Recruits (1986)
44. State Park (1988)

48. Savage (1973)

52. Swamp Women (1956)
55. The Undead (1957)
58. Sorority Girl (1957)
59. Teenage Doll (1957)
60. Carnival Rock (1957)
63. I Mobster (1959)
Bert Gordon - Mr. B.I.G.

In case you don't know, Gordon's the guy on the right. The photo is from the set of 1972's Necromancy, starring the obscure actor on the left whose initials were "OW" and who, like Mr. Gordon, hailed from the Milwaukee Wisconsin suburb of Kenosha, about an hour's drive from where I'm typing this. Bertram Ira Gordon, like his peer Roger Corman, started in the mid-50s in b-movies and never left them - and is still like Corman alive and kicking, though his last film was released in 2015. His nickname comes from the giant animal/human movies that he's most famous for - others including Corman made plenty of these but they are definitely Godon's stock in trade with over half of his 23 full-length films featuring big bugs, giant men, cyclops, etc. His films (nearly all of which he also wrote and produced) take a jaundiced view of science and man's progress, with fear of the atom certainly present in many of them. His use of rear projection gets a lot of laughs today and has made him one of MST3K's most frequent "guests" but his films do have their own peculiar cheap charm.

66. The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
67. War of the Colossal Beast (1958)

The first of this duo came out in the fall of '57 - my guess is that Gordon seized on the huge success of the much bigger budgeted Universal film The Incredible Shrinking Man and decided that this was the new hot commodity; Attack of the 50 Foot Woman also got pushed into production shortly afterwards so it's clear that 50s Hollywood was no more original than it is today (as if you had any doubts). Anyway these are actually pretty decent films, in fact the best from Gordon I've seen. In the first film army colonel Glenn Manning (Glenn Langan) gets a massive dose of radiation from a plutonium bomb and burned horribly all over - but instead of dying, he starts to grow rapidly in size. Scientists race to find a cure or some way to at least stop the growth, and they do when he's 60 feet tall, but by this time his mind seems to be going. Forget the silliness of the idea and the even sillier pseudo-scientific explanations - Langan's performance communicates some of the same kind of pathos that Grant Williams' did in Shrinking Man, and the action plot - Manning of course escapes confinement - is fairly exciting, and the effects about as good as any Gordon achieved in this era. The colossal man shows as sort of shimmering in a lot of shots, but the scenes atop the Hoover dam at the end and a few other sequences look pretty decent.

I have no idea why Langan was replaced for the sequel, but for whatever reason he was, and that's the reason for the heavy disfigurement on his replacement in the role, Duncan Parkin. Manning's fiancee from the first film (Cathy Downs) is also replaced, this time by a sister (Sally Fraser) who believes that Manning is still alive from his fall from Hoover Dam, and helps to trace him to Mexico. More of the same kind of plot and action here but it's on about the same level as the first film, and the ending sequence at Griffith Park in Los Angels is pretty well done.

68. King Dinosaur (1955)

Most of Gordon's films (like a lot of Corman's) have simple descriptive titles that are fairly accurate. Not so this one unless by "dinosaur" you mean "any old lizard that looks big thanks to rear projection". And that projection looks maybe even worse than usual - the first few shots of the giant ant in particular are just awful. A new planet has entered our solar system and it's not far from Earth, and a mission consisting of two couples of scientists is sent out to explore it. This is silly even by 50s standards, which would be fine except it's fairly boring, the women do little besides scream when they see some giant insect or beaver or whatever, the acting overall is terrible, and the ending where they decide to blow up a whole island full of dinosaurs with an atomic bomb is ludicrous, offensive, and nonsensical according to the plot - I thought these were SCIENTISTS?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 1st, 2020, 7:42 pm

1. Double Down (2005)
4. Pass Thru (2016)
5. Twisted Pair (2018)

9. Dreamspeaker (1976)
10. Surfacing (1981)
11. By Design (1981)

13. Beowulf (2007)

19. Shadowed (1946)
21. The Capture (1950)
23. Underwater! (1955)
25. Sergeants 3 (1962)

29. City on Fire (1979)
31. Death Ship (1980)

32. Autumn Born (1979)
34. Possession (1987)

41. Screwballs (1983)
43. Recruits (1986)
44. State Park (1988)

48. Savage (1973)

52. Swamp Women (1956)
55. The Undead (1957)
58. Sorority Girl (1957)
59. Teenage Doll (1957)
60. Carnival Rock (1957)
63. I Mobster (1959)

Bert Gordon - Mr. B.I.G.

68. King Dinosaur (1955)
High-Concept Comedy with Ivan Reitman

Ivan Reitman was born in Komárno, Czechoslovakia (now Slovakia) in 1946 and moved with his family to Canada in 1950, where he lived, worked and went to school in the Toronto area. He got involved in theatrical production and then film in the early 70s, producing David Cronenberg's Shivers and Rabid, and making his own first few films. His third feature, Meatballs, teamed him with nascent star Bill Murray for the first time, and soon it was off to Hollywood where he became the most successful exponent of the "high concept" comedy - something that could be pitched in just a few words. A prime example is noted on the commentary for Stripes where he mentions that the pitch was "Cheech and Chong go into the army" - something that obviously got changed. His films have been resolutely low-brow and simple comedies - a huge part of their appeal certainly - but apart from a few early works relatively family-friendly and rarely tending toward exploitation. I haven't really been a fan but decided to re-watch a couple of youthful memories, and catch up on an early obscurity - perhaps I've been too harsh?

69. Cannibal Girls (1973)

Future SCTV stars Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin play a young couple away for their first weekend together in wintry, snowy Ontario some ways north of Toronto. When their car breaks down near a small town called Farnhamville, they decide to stay the night while it's being fixed, and the old woman who runs the motel tells them a scary story about the three beautiful young cannibal women who used to live in an old farmhouse (now restaurant) on the edge of town... This is billed as a comedy-horror but it really doesn't have a lot of humor, despite the reputations of the director and stars. What it really reminds me of is something like The Cars That Ate Paris - a town out in the middle of nowhere that preys on strangers. Of course that has comic elements too, and I'm not trying to suggest that this is an overly "serious" horror film, but it's unnerving and creepy more than it is humorous. And it's got one of the better usages of the it-was-all-a-dream technique that I've seen. I guess I should read some of the bad reviews - this has a 4.6 on IMDb and I honestly don't know why; while it's not exactly great and might be a bit too repetitive, and some of the acting's fairly lame, it's intriguingly structured and overall pretty damn entertaining; in fact I'd have to say at the moment it's my favorite of the half-dozen films from the director I've seen.

70. Meatballs (1979) (re-watch)

Probably 2nd viewing. I don't think I saw this when it was new, but I'm pretty sure I saw it no later than 1990 or so - my memories were almost non-existant apart from bits of Bill Murray's routines. Murray plays the second-in-command I guess of a group of summer camp counsellors - most of them 20something - at Camp North Star, a cheap camp for the kids who can't afford to go to Camp Mohawk across the lake. Typical set-up for a summer camp comedy; the most surprising thing about this film is that it's rated PG; in 1979 there were still plenty of cheesy soft-core comedies with this kind of setting, probably the majority actually, so a family-friendly film like this seems a little novel. It probably helped get Reitman's ticket to Hollywood though - showing that he could make both R-rated and PG fare - and it certainly helped Murray's career, showcasing his particular brand of anarchic, often improvised humor in a setting that he couldn't help but dominate. It's an all right film but kind of bland, and the plot with the young outcast (Chris Makepeace) just doesn't do it for me even though I kind of identify with him. Not that comedies have to make any real sense but this just feels very thrown together, which makes the sentimental/dramatic elements feel quite out of place. Like the soundtrack overall but that might just be nostalgia.

71. Stripes (1981 (re-watch)

3rd viewing I think, maybe 4th. This one I did see when it came out - it was my 2nd R-rated film (the first was Excalibur earlier that year) and certainly the earliest "adult" comedy I saw. I'd seen enough SNL to know who Bill Murray was, but I had no clue about John Candy, Harold Ramis, Warren Oates, or anyone else in the cast. And the cast - which also includes Sean Young and P.J. Soles as the love interests of Ramis and Murray, respectively, and John Larroquette as the Captain in charge of their unit - is probably the main reason I can still enjoy this to some extent now. Watching this right after Meatballs the word that comes to mind is "sloppy". A bunch of gags thrown together in the bare shape of a plot about two losers (Murray and Ramis) who decide to go into the army because they have nothing better to do, encountering hot MPs, other losers like Candy (probably the funniest guy in the film), a tough sergeant (Oates, of course), and almost starting a war with Czechoslovakia in an armored Winnebago. Judge Reinhold is here in his second film, and Bill Paxton and Dennis Quaid have tiny bit/extra parts. Elmer Bernstein's martial music was probably the element I remembered best and it's probably the part I'm going to continue to remember. It's a fun film overall for me but if I hadn't grown up with it I'm not sure I'd really care about it in the least. I keep liking Candy more and more while my tolerance for Murray is kind of waning these days.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 1st, 2020, 9:15 pm

I had plans for a final director last night but only watched two Roger Cormans before I strayed elsewhere. OldAle just made sure that Corman was very well represented anyway.

Big thank you to flavo for going above and beyond with his hosting duties and personal director updates. :cheers:

Maybe next time this is held I'll be able to help out with the Director check list - unless I get the turkey trots again.

Final recap for me:

They perpetrated crimes against humanity over and over and over…Show
1. Missile to the Moon (1958 / Richard E. Cunha) 7-/10 {78 m.} imdb: 3.9
2. She Demons (1958 / Richard E. Cunha) 7+/10 {77 m.} imdb: 4.6
3. Giant From the Unknown (1958 / Richard E. Cunha) 7/10 {77 m.} imdb: 4.7
4. Frankenstein’s Daughter (1958 / Richard E. Cunha) FTV 7+/10 {85 m.} imdb: 4.2

5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again (2016 / Kenny Ortega) FTV 7/10 {88 m.} imdb: 4.2
6. High School Musical (2006 / Kenny Ortega) FTV 7/10 {98 m.} imdb: 5.4
7. High School Musical 2 (2007 / Kenny Ortega) FTV 7+/10 {104 m.} imdb: 5.0
8. High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2006 / Kenny Ortega) FTV 7+/10 {112 m.} imdb: 4.8

9. Blood Feast (1963 / Herschell Gordon Lewis) 6/10 {67 m.} imdb: 5.1
10. Moonshine Mountain (1964 / Herschell Gordon Lewis) FTV 6+/10 {85 m.} imdb: 4.2
11. Monster a-Go Go (1965 / Herschell Gordon Lewis) 6+/10 {70 m.} imdb: 2.2

12. Invasion from Inner Earth (1974 / Bill Rebane) 8/10 {94 m.} imdb: 2.4
13. The Giant Spider Invasion (1975 / Bill Rebane) FTV 8/10 {84 m.} imdb: 3.1
14. The Alpha Incident (1978 / Bill Rebane) 7/10 {95 m.} imdb: 3.7
15. The Capture of Bigfoot (1979 / Bill Rebane) 8/10 {92 m.} imdb: 3.4
16. Rana: The Legend of Shadow Lake (1981 / Bill Rebane) 7/10 {96 m.} imdb: 2.9
17. The Demons of Ludlow (1983 / Bill Rebane) 6+/10 {83 m.} imdb: 3.4
18. The Game (1984 / Bill Rebane) 6/10 {84 m.} imdb: 3.2
19. Blood Harvest (1987 / Bill Rebane) FTV 5+/10 {88 m.} imdb: 4.5
20. Twister’s Revenge (1988 / Bill Rebane) FTV 5/10 {90 m.} imdb: 2.2

21. Sharknado (2013 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 5+/10 {86 m.} imdb: 3.3
22. Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 7+/10 {95 m.} imdb: 4.0]
23. Hansel and Gretel (2013 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 7/10 {90 m.} imdb: 2.8
24. Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (2015 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 6/10 {93 m.} imdb: 4.1
25. Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens (2016 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 4/10 {95 m.} imdb: 3.9
26. Sharknado 5: Global Swarming (2017 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 4+/10 {93 m.} imdb: 3.9
27. The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time (2018 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 5/10 {86 m.} imdb: 3.5
28. Headless Horseman (2007 / Anthony C. Ferrante) FTV 5+/10 {87 m.} imdb: 3.8

29. Starcrash (1978 / Luigi Cozzi) 8/10 {92 m.} imdb: 4.0
30. Contamination (1980 / Luigi Cozzi) 7/10 {95 m.} imdb: 5.3
31. Hercules (1983 / Luigi Cozzi) 8/10 {98 m.} imdb: 4.0
32. The Adventures of Hercules (1985 / Luigi Cozzi) 7+/10 {88 m.} imdb: 4.0

33. Zoombies (2016 / Glenn Miller) FTV 7/10 {87 m.} imdb: 3.3
34. Zoombies 2 (2019 / Glenn Miller) FTV 7-/10 {84 m.} imdb: 3.4
35. Santa Claws (2014 / Glenn Miller) FTV 5+/10 {86 m.} imdb: 3.2

36. The Beast of Bray Road (2005 / Leigh Scott) FTV 7+/10 {80 m.} imdb: 4.0
37. King of the Lost World (2005 / Leigh Scott) FTV 3/10 {80 m.} imdb: 2.4
38. Transmorphers (2007 / Leigh Scott) FTV 2/10 {86 m.} imdb: 1.7
39. Flu Bird Horror (2008 / Leigh Scott) FTV 3/10 {89 m. imdb: 3.1

40. Transmorphers: Fall of Man (2009 / Scott Wheeler) FTV 4/10 {86 m.} imdb: 2.0
41. Avalanche Sharks (2014 / Scott Wheeler) FTV 2/10 {82 m.} imdb: 2.3
42. Attack of the Killer Donuts (2016 / Scott Wheeler) FTV 7/10 {85 m.} imdb: 3.7
43. Sinbad and the War of the Furies (2016 / Scott Wheeler) FTV 4+/10 {90 m.} imdb: 2.5

44. The Alien Factor (1978 / Don Dohler) 8/10 {80 m.} imdb: 4.1
45. Alien Factor 2: The Alien Rampage (2001 / Don Dohler) 6+/10 {75 m.} imdb: 3.5
46. The Galaxy Invader (1985 / Don Dohler) 8/10 {79 m.} imdb: 3.1

47. Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2015 / Don Michael Paul) FTV 7+/10 {99 m.} imdb: 5.3
48. Tremors: A Cold Day in Hell (2018 / Don Michael Paul) FTV 7/10 {98 m.} imdb: 5.0
49. Kindergarten Cop 2 (2016 / Don Michael Paul) FTV 7+/10 {100 m.} imdb: 4.5
50. Sniper: Ghost Shooter (2016 / Don Michael Paul) FTV 5+/10 {99 m.} imdb: 5.4

51. Man Beast (1956 / Jerry Warren) 7+/10 {62 m.} imdb: 4.1
52. The Incredible Petrified World (1959 / Jerry Warren) 5+/10 {70 m.} imdb: 3.1
53. Teenage Zombies (1959 / Jerry Warren) 5/10 {73 m.} imdb: 3.0
54. Terror of the Bloodhunters (1962 / Jerry Warren) 3+/10 {71 m.} imdb: 2.9
55. Face of the Screaming Werewolf (1964 / Jerry Warren) 5/10 {60 m.} imdb: 2.9
56. Attack of the Mayan Mummy (1964 / Jerry Warren) 4/10 {77 m.} imdb: 2.3
57. Curse of the Stone Hand (1965 / Jerry Warren) 5/10 {67 m.} imdb: 3.5
58. Creature of the Walking Dead (1965 / Jerry Warren) FTV 7+/10 {74 m.} imdb: 3.0
59. House of the Black Death (1965 / Jerry Warren) 7/10 {89 m.} imdb: 3.6
60. The Wild World of Batwoman (1966 / Jerry Warren) 7+/10 {70 m.} imdb: 2.0
61. Frankenstein Island (1981 / Jerry Warren) 7+/10 {97 m.} imdb: 2.2

62. Point of Impact (1993 / Bob Misiorowski) FTV 6/10 {97 m.} imdb: 3.2
63. Shark Attack (1999 / Bob Misiorowski) FTV 7/10 {95 m.} imdb: 3.4
64. Derailed (2002 / Bob Misiorowski) FTV 6/10 {89 m.} imdb: 4.0

65. Phantom from Space (1953 / W. Lee Wilder) 7/10 {73 m.} imdb: 4.2
66. Killers from Space (1954 / W. Lee Wilder) 7+/10 {71 m.} imdb: 3.4
67. The Snow Creature (1954 / W. Lee Wilder) 7/10 {69 m.} imdb: 3.3

68. Bounty Hunters (1996 / George Erschbamer) FTV 6-/10 {98 m.} imdb: 4.5
69. Bounty Hunters 2: Hardball (1997 / George Erschbamer) FTV 5+/10 {97 m.} imdb: 4.5
70. Aliens in the Wild, Wild West (1999 / George Erschbamer) FTV 4/10 {90 m.} imdb: 2.6

71. King Dinosaur (1955 / Bert I. Gordon) FTV 5+/10 {63 m.} imdb: 2.1
72. Beginning of the End (1957 / Bert I. Gordon) FTV 7/10 {76 m.} imdb: 3.8
73. The Cyclops (1957 / Bert I. Gordon) FTV 7/10 {66 m.} imdb: 4.5
74. The Amazing Colossal Man (1957 / Bert I. Gordon) FTV 7/10 {80 m.} imdb: 4.5
75. Attack of the Puppet People (1958 / Bert I. Gordon) 6/10 {79 m.} imdb: 4.6
76. War of the Colossal Beast (1958 / Bert I. Gordon) 7/10 {69 m.} imdb: 3.7
77. The Spider (1958 / Bert I. Gordon) 8/10 {73 m.} imdb: 4.4
78. Tormented (1960 / Bert I. Gordon) 5+/10 {75 m.} imdb: 4.6
79. The Magic Sword (1962 / Bert I. Gordon) FTV 7/10 {80 m.} imdb: 4.6
80. Village of the Giants (1965 / Bert I. Gordon) 7/10 {81 m.} imdb: 3.6
81. Empire of the Ants (1977 / Bert I. Gordon) 7+/10 {89 m.} imdb: 4.3

82. Tyrannosaurus Azteca (2007 / Brian Trenchard-Smith) FTV 5+/10 {86 m.} imdb: 2.8
83. Pimpin’ Pee Wee (2009 / Brian Trenchard-Smith) FTV 7/10 {78 m.} imdb: 4.4
84. Arctic Blast (2010 / Brian Trenchard-Smith) FTV 6/10 {92 m.} imdb: 3.9
85. Drive Hard (2014 / Brian Trenchard-Smith) FTV 8/10 {96 m.} imdb: 4.3

86. Terror of Tiny Town (1938 / Sam Newfield) 6+/10 {62 m.} imdb: 3.8
87. The Mad Monster (1942 / Sam Newfield) 5+/10 {77 m.} imdb: 3.4
88. Dead Men Walk (1943 / Sam Newfield) 5+/10 {64 m.} imdb: 4.7
89. The Monster Maker (1944 / Sam Newfield) 4/10 {62 m.} imdb: 4.7
90. White Pongo (1945 / Sam Newfield) 4/10 {71 m.} imdb: 2.9
91. The Flying Serpent (1946 / Sam Newfield) 6/10 {59 m.} imdb: 4.9

92. Deathstalker II (1987 / Jim Wynorski) 8+/10 {85 m.} imdb: 5.2
93. Big Bad Mama II (1987 / Jim Wynorski) 8+/10 {83 m.} imdb: 4.8
94. Not of This Earth (1988 / Jim Wynorski) 7/10 {81 m.} imdb: 4.8
95. The Return of Swamp Thing (1989 / Jim Wynorski) 8/10 {85 m.} imdb: 4.7
96. Sorority House Massacre II (1990 / Jim Wynorski) 7/10 {77 m.} imdb: 4.9
97. 976-Evil II (1991 / Jim Wynorski) 7-/10 {93 m.} imdb: 4.3
98. Munchie (1992 / Jim Wynorski) FTV 7/10 {80 m.} imdb: 3.7
99. Ghoulies IV (1994 / Jim Wynorski) 7/10 {84 m.} imdb: 2.8
100. Sorceress (1995 / Jim Wynorski) 6-/10 {93 m.} imdb: 3.8
101. Body Chemistry 4: Full Exposure (1995 / Jim Wynorski) FTV 5/10 {80 m.} imdb: 4.2
102. The Pandora Project (1998 / Jim Wynorski) 5/10 {89 m.} imdb: 3.8
103. Raptor (2001 / Jim Wynorski) FTV 7/10 {81 m.} imdb: 2.7
104. The Curse of the Komodo (2004 / Jim Wynorski) FTV 5+/10 {92 m.} imdb: 2.8
105. Komodo vs. Cobra (2005 / Jim Wynorski) FTV 5+/10 {94 m.} imdb: 2.8
106. Bone Eater (2007 / Jim Wynorski) 6+/10 {90 m.} imdb: 2.9
107. Vampire in Vegas (2009 / Jim Wynorski) FTV 6+/10 {82 m.} imdb: 2.4
108. Dinocroc vs. Supergator (2010 / Jim Wynorski) 7/10 {87 m.} imdb: 3.1
109. Piranhaconda (2012 / Jim Wynorski) FTV 7/10 {86 m.} imdb: 2.9
110. Sharkansas Women’s Prison Massacre (2015 / Jim Wynorski) 5/10 {84 m.} imdb: 3.1
111. Nessie & Me (2016 / Jim Wynorski) 4+/10 {90 m.} imdb: 3.3

112. Blood of Ghastly Horror (1967 / Al Adamson) 6/10 {85 m.} imdb: 2.7
113. Blood of Dracula’s Castle (1969 / Al Adamson) 7/10 {84 m.} imdb: 3.5
114. Horror of the Blood Monsters (1970 / Al Adamson) 6/10 {85 m.} imdb: 3.1
115. Brain of Blood (1971 / Al Adamson) 4/10 {87 m.} imdb: 2.9
116. Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971 / Al Adamson) 6/10 {91 m.} imdb: 3.5
117. Doctor Dracula (1978 / Al Adamson) 4/10 {88 m.} imdb: 2.6
118. Carnival Magic (1983 / Al Adamson) 7/10 {86 m.} imdb: 2.3

119. Bimbos B.C. (1990 / Todd Sheets) 2+/10 {90 m.} imdb: 1.7
120. Prehistoric Bimbos in Armageddon City (1991 / Todd Sheets) 4+/10 {80 m.} imdb: 1.9
121. Sorority Babes in the Dance-A-Thon of Death (1991 / Todd Sheets) 2/10 {75 m.} imdb: 2.0

122. Empire of the Apes (2013 / Mark Polonia) FTV 6+/10 {79 m.} imdb: 2.5
123. Camp Blood First Slaughter (2014 / Mark Polonia) 5/10 {72 m.} imdb: 2.5
124. Jurassic Prey (2015 / Mark Polonia) FTV 7+/10 {87 m.} imdb: 1.7
125. Bigfoot Vs. Zombies (2016 / Mark Polonia) 7+/10 {79 m.} imdb: 2.1
126. Sharkenstein (2016 / Mark Polonia) FTV 6+/10 {85 m.} imdb: 2.1
127. Revolt of the Empire of the Apes (2017 / Mark Polonia) FTV 4+/10 {75 m.} imdb: 2.7
128. It Kills: Camp Blood 7 (2017 / Mark Polonia) FTV 3/10 {69 m.} imdb: 2.5
129. Ghost of Camp Blood (2018 / Mark Polonia) FTV 4/10 {73 m.} imdb: 2.8
130. War Raiders (2018 / Mark Polonia) FTV 3+/10 {71 m.} imdb: 2.4
131. Battle Bots (2018 / Mark Polonia) FTV 4/10 {67 m.} imdb: 1.8
132. Frozen Sasquatch (2018 / Mark Polonia) FTV 5+/10 {73 m.} imdb: 3.3
133. Deadly Playthings (2019 / Mark Polonia) FTV 6/10 {76 m.} imdb: 3.1
134. Amityville Island (2020 / Mark Polonia) FTV 7/10 {70 m.} imdb: 1.8
135. Hellspawn (1993 / Mark Polonia) 7/10 {86 m.} imdb: 3.3
136. How To Slay a Vampire (1995 / Mark Polonia) 4+/10 {82 m.} imdb: 3.5
137. Night Crawlers (1996 / Mark Polonia) 5+/10 {90 m.} imdb: 3.3
138. Feeders (1996 / Mark Polonia) 7/10 {69 m.} imdb: 2.4
139. Feeders 2: Slay Bells (1998 / Mark Polonia) 7/10 {72 m.} imdb: 2.3
140. Terror House (1998 / Mark Polonia) 4+/10 {73 m.} imdb: 3.2
141. Bad Magic (1998 / Mark Polonia) FTV 5+/10 {85 m.} imdb: 3.2
142. The House That Screamed (2000 / Mark Polonia) 7/10 {78 m.} imdb: 3.3
143. Blood Red Planet (2000 / Mark Polonia) 5+/10 {81 m.} imdb: 3.6
144. Dweller (2001 / Mark Polonia) 5+/10 {80 m.} imdb: 3.4
145. Holla If I Kill You (2003 / Mark Polonia) 6/10 {81 m.} imdb: 2.7
146. Among Us (2004 / Mark Polonia) 8/10 {85 m.} imdb: 3.1
147. Peter Rottentail (2004 / Mark Polonia) 7/10 {71 m.} imdb: 3.1
148. Dinosaur Chronicles (2004 / Mark Polonia) 4/10 {68 m.} imdb: 2.4
149. Preylien: Alien Predators (2004 / Mark Polonia) 4+/10 {75 m.} imdb: 2.8
150. Razorteeth (2005 / Mark Polonia) 5+/10 {75 m.} imdb: 2.4
151. Splatter Beach (2007 / Mark Polonia) 7+/10 {70 m.} imdb: 3.5
152. Forest Primeval (2008 / Mark Polonia) 7/10 {70 m.} imdb: 3.8
153. Monster Movie (2008 / Mark Polonia) 7/10 {75 m.} imdb: 3.8

154. The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!? (1964 / Ray Dennis Steckler) 7/10 {82 m.} imdb: 2.2
155. Sinthia: The Devil’s Doll (1970 / Ray Dennis Steckler) FTV 4/10 {78 m.} imdb: 3.6
156. Blood Shack (1971 / Ray Dennis Steckler) 6/10 {55 m.} imdb: 2.7

157. 12/12/12; aka: Evil Born (2012 / Jared Cohn) FTV 3/10 {85 m.} imdb: 1.8
158. Atlantic Rim; aka: From the Sea (2013 / Jared Cohn) FTV 5/10 {86 m.} imdb: 1.6
159. After School Special (2017 / Jared Cohn) FTV 2/10 {78 m.} imdb: 2.3
160. Atlantic Rim: Resurrection (2018 / Jared Cohn) FTV 5+/10 {86 m.} imdb: 1.8
161. Alien Predator (2018 / Jared Cohn) FTV 6/10 {87 m.} imdb: 1.7

Views: 161 / FTV’s: 72

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 4:48 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 1:00 pm
Hey folks. The OP has updated for the penultimate time. Please check your stats again to make sure everything is up to date!

I'll post the final results probably tomorrow morning (CST time), so that'll give about 24 hours to wrap up any write-ups or last minute posts you guys may have (I've got four more write-ups to do myself... :sweat: ).

I hope everybody had fun with this one! I wonder if a challenge with basically the same rules would work for an actor filmography. :think:
I think you looked over my last two posts.
Yep, sorry. Must've gotten lost in a flurry of posts. Your De Palma marathon should be in the final totals when I post those in the morning.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 1st, 2020, 10:32 pm

José Ramón Larraz

Spanish director José Ramón Larraz was known for imbuing sexploitation and horror films with a style, atmosphere and eroticism rarely seen elsewhere. His films Symptoms and Vampyres are underseen classics of the genre and, while his later works veered more into straightforward slasher territory, he still found ways to add his personal touch to every film he worked on.

263. Al filo del hacha a.k.a. The Edge of the Axe (1988)
264. Los ritos sexuales del diablo a.k.a. Black Candles (1982)
265. Estigma (1980)
The Edge of the Axe was one of the last films he directed and as alluded to in my brief intro, it is indeed much more straightforward in its execution than his earlier more mysterious and dream-like films. Regardless, the talent behind the camera is noticeable with some great shots and a sense of ambience few slashers have. Additionally the sheer brutality of the kills is something that will have more traditional slasher fans excited as well.
Black Candles is considered something of a nadir of Larraz’ filmography to the point that he basically took his name off it after release. The plot is a fairly standard satanic sex cult setup, and the movie is wall-to-wall very explicit softcore sex including some rather disturbing goat-related escapades.This is one that I would certainly not point first-time fans of Larraz to out of the gate.
Estigma, while made in the ‘80s, has more of the psychosexual mystery and tension of several of his earlier films and a disturbed young man seemingly with psychic powers that unknowingly cause death around him. It’s definitely worth checking out for Larraz fans.
The Master at WorkShow
Run #1: Early Hitchcock Comedies
1. Juno and the Paycock (Hitchcock, 1930)
2. Elstree Calling (Hitchcock, 1930)
3. The Farmer's Wife (Hitchcock, 1928)
4. Champagne (Hitchcock, 1928)

Run #2: Umberto Lenzi
5. Sette orchidee macchiate di rosso a.k.a. Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (Lenzi, 1972)
6. Milano odia: la polizia non può sparare a.k.a. Almost Human (Lenzi, 1974)
7. Un posto ideale per uccidere a.k.a. An Ideal Place to Kill (Lenzi, 1971)
8. Un ponte per l'inferno a.k.a. Bridge to Hell (Lenzi, 1986)
9. La guerra del ferro a.k.a. Ironmaster (Lenzi, 1983)
10. La casa 3 a.k.a. Ghosthouse (Lenzi, 1983)

Run #3: Takashi Miike
11. Toppuu! Minipato tai - Aikyacchi Jankushon a.k.a. Eyecatch Junction (Miike, 1991)
12. Rapurasu no majo a.k.a. Laplace's Witch (Miike, 2018)
13a. Kôji Kikkawa - Pandoora (Miike, 2002)
13b. Tsukamoto Shin'ya ga Ranpo suru a.k.a. Making of Shinya Tsukamoto's Gemini (Miike, 2000)
13c. Idol × Warrior: Miracle Tunes! E1-2 (Miike, 2017)
14. Terra Formars (Miike, 2016)
15. Silver - shirubaa (Miike, 1999)
16. Mugen no jûnin a.k.a. Blade of the Immortal (Miike, 2017)
17. Aku no kyôten a.k.a. Lesson of Evil (2012)
18. Kuime a.k.a. Over Your Dead Body (Miike, 2014)

Run #4: Mentally Disaffected David Cronenberg
19. M. Butterfly (Cronenberg, 1993)
20. A Dangerous Method (Cronenberg, 2011)
21a. Peep Show: The Lie Chair (Cronenberg, 1975)
21b. Teleplay: The Italian Machine (Cronenberg, 1976)
21c. The Nest (Cronenberg, 2013)

Run #5: Literary Welles
22. The Tragedy of Othello: The Moor of Venice (Welles, 1951)
23. Macbeth (Welles, 1948)
24. Histoire immortelle a.k.a. The Immortal Story (Welles, 1968)

Run #6: Oliver Stone
25. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (Stone, 2010)
26. Seizure (Stone, 1974)
27. Mi Amigo Hugo (Stone, 2014)

Run #7: Jacques Tourneur
28. Berlin Express (Tourneur, 1948)
29. La battaglia di Maratona a.k.a. Giant of Marathon (Tourneur/Bava, 1959)
30. War-Gods of the Deep (Tourneur, 1965)

Run #8: Pupi Avati
31. Zeder a.k.a. Revenge of the Dead (Avati, 1983)
32. Il cuore altrove a.k.a. Incantato (Avati, 2003)
33. L'arcano incantatore a.k.a. Arcane Sorcerer (Avati, 1996)

Run #9: Early D.W. Griffith
34a. The Sealed Room (1909)
34b. The Unchanging Sea (1910)
34c. His Trust: The Faithful Devotion and Self-Sacrifice of an Old Negro Servant (1911)
34d. The Mothering Heart (1913)
35a. The New York Hat (1912)
35b. An Unseen Enemy (1912)
35c. Enoch Arden (1911)
36a. The Adventures of Dollie (1908)
36b. The Usurer (1910)
36c. The Miser's Heart (1911)
36d. The Burglar's Dilemma (1912)

Run #10: Judd Apatow
37. May It Last: A Portrait of the Avett Brothers (Apatow/Michael Bonfiglio, 2017)
38. The King of Staten Island (Apatow, 2020)
39. This Is 40 (Apatow, 2012)

Run #11: Francis Ford Coppola
40. Finian's Rainbow (Coppola, 1968)
41. Gardens of Stone (Coppola, 1987)
42. Tonight for Sure (Coppola, 1962)

Run #12: John Carpenter
43. Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)
44. Elvis (1979)
45. The Ward (2010)

Run #13: Sam Fuller
46. Tote Taube in der Beethovenstraße a.k.a. Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973)
47. Shark! (!969)
48. China Gate (1957)

Run #14: Pete Walker
49. House of Mortal Sin (1976)
50. The Flesh and Blood Show (1972)
51. For Men Only (1968)

Run #15: William Friedkin
52. Deal of the Century (1983)
53. The Devil and Father Amorth (2017)
54. Good Times (1967)

Run #16: Antonio Margheriti
55. I sopravvissuti della città morta a.k.a. Temple of Hell (1984)
56. Nella stretta morsa del ragno a.k.a. Web of the Spider (1971)
57. Assignment Outer Space (1960)
58. La lunga cavalcata a.k.a. Take A Hard Ride (1975)
59. La morte negli occhi del gatto a.k.a. Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye (1973)
60. Con la rabbia agli occhi a.k.a. Death Rage (!976)
61. I giganti di Roma a.k.a. Giants of Rome (1964)

Run #17: D.A. Pennebaker
62. Original Cast Album: Company (1970)
63. 65 Revisited (2007)
64a. Snapshots from the Tour (2015)
64b. Little Richard: Keep On Rockin' (1969)
64c. Shake!: Otis at Monterey (1987)

Run #18: Shin'ya Tsukamoto
65. Nobi a.k.a. Fires on the Plain (2014)
66. Kotoko (2011)
67. Zan a.k.a. Killing (2018)
68. Denchû kozô no bôken a.k.a. The Adventure of Denchu Kozo (1987)
69. Vital (2004)
70. Akumu tantei a.k.a. Nightmare Detective (2006)

Run #19: John Frankenheimer
71. Andersonville (1996)
72. Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)
73. The Challenge (1982)
74. Grand Prix (1966)
75. The Young Savages (1961)

Run #20: Monte Hellman
72. Back Door to Hell (1964)
73. Road to Nowhere (2010)
74. Silent Night, Deadly Night III: Better Watch Out! (1989)

Run #21: Tobe Hooper
75. Night Terrors (1993)
76. Haunted Lives: True Ghost Stories: Ghosts R Us/Legend of Kate Morgan/School Spirit (1991)
77. Mortuary (2005)
78. Invaders from Mars (1986)
79. Djinn (2013)
80. Eggshells (1969)
81. The Dark (1979)
82. Crocodile (2000)
83. I'm Dangerous Tonight (1990)
Short: Heisters (1964)

Run #22: Brian De Palma
84. Passion (2012)
85. Home Movies (1979)
86. The Wedding Party (1969)
87. Murder à la Mod (1968)

Run #23: Atom Egoyan
88. Bach Cello Suite #4: Sarabande (1997)
89. Remember (2015)
90. Ararat (2002)

Run #24: Ted V. Mikels
91. The Doll Squad (1973)
92. Mission: Killfast (1991)
93. The Corpse Grinders (1971)

Run #25: David Hand
94. Bambi (1942)
95-96. Shorts [Pluto's Judgement Day (1935), Thru the Mirror (1936), Mickey's Elephant (1936), Mickey's Polo Team (1936), Alpine Climbers (1936), Magician Mickey (1937), The Whalers (1938), Birds in the Spring (1933), Old King Cole (1933), Three Blind Mouseketeers (1936), Little Hiawatha (1937), Three Orphan Kittens (1935), More Kittens (1936), The Flying Mouse (1934), Who Killed Cock Robin? (1935)]

Run #26: Ben Sharpsteen
97. Dumbo (1941)
98-99. Shorts [On Ice (1935), Mickey's Fire Brigade (1935), Mickey's Circus (1936), Moving Day (1936), Orphans' Picnic (1936), Hawaiian Holiday (1937), Moose Hunters (1937), The Worm Turns (1937), Clock Cleaners (1937), Mickey's Trailer (1938), Broken Toys (1935), Cock o' the Walk (1935), Nature's Strangest Creatures (1959)]

Run #27: Anurag Kashyap
100. Bombay Talkies (2013)
101. Dev.D (2009)
102. Ugly (2013)

Run #28: Blake Edwards
103. Days of Wine and Roses (1962)
104. Trail of the Pink Panther (1982)
105. The Tamarind Seed (1974)

Run #29: Jean Rollin
106. Les deux orphelines vampires a.k.a. Two Orphan Vampires (1997)
107. Jeunes filles impudiques a.k.a. Schoolgirl Hitchhikers (1973)
108. La vampire nue a.k.a. The Nude Vampire (1970)
109. La rose de fer a.k.a. The Iron Rose (1973)

Run #30: Jean-Luc Godard
110. Hélas pour moi a.k.a. Oh, Woe Is Me (1993)
111. Soigne ta droite a.k.a. Keep Your Right Up (1987)
112. Les plus belles escroqueries du monde a.k.a. The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers (1964)

Run #31: Claude Chabrol
113. Ophélia (1963)
114. Inspecteur Lavardin (1986)
115. Les dossiers secrets de l'inspecteur Lavardin: Maux croisés a.k.a. Danger Lies in the Words (1989)

Run #32: Wes Craven
116. The Fireworks Woman (1975)
117. Chiller (1985)
118. Disneyland: Casebusters (1986)
119. My Soul to Take (2010)
120. The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1984)
121. Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)
122. Summer of Fear (1978)

Run #33: Douglas Sirk
123. Battle Hymn (1957)
124. There's Always Tomorrow (1955)
125. Thunder on the Hill (1951)

Run #34: Bruno Mattei
126. La tomba a.k.a. The Tomb (2006)
127. Violenza in un carcere femminile a.k.a. Violence in a Women's Prison (1982)
128. Blade Violent - I violenti a.k.a. Women's Prison Massacre (1983)
129. Shocking Dark (1989)
130. L'altro inferno a.k.a. The Other Hell (1981)
131. Anime perse a.k.a. The Jail: The Women's Hell (2006)

Run #35: Frank Capra
132. Pocketful of Miracles (1961)
133. The Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays (1957)
134. Ladies of Leisure (1930)

Run #36: Ridley Scott
135. Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
136. All the Money in the World (2017)
137. 1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)

Run #37: G.W. Pabst
138. Die weiße Hölle vom Piz Palü a.k.a. White Hell of Piz Palu (1929)
139. Tagebuch einer Verlorenen a.k.a. Diary of a Lost Girl (1928)
140. Geheimnisse einer Seele a.k.a. Secrets of a Soul (1926)

Run #38: David Lynch
141. Rabbits (2002)
142. Mulholland Dr. (1999)
143. Eraserhead Stories (2001)
144. Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces (2014)
145. Blue Velvet: The Lost Footage (2019)
146. More Things That Happened (2007)
147a. What Did Jack Do? (2017)
147b. David Lynch Cooks Quinoa (2007)
147c. Ballerina (2007)
147d. Fire (PoZar) (2020)

Run #39: Dario Argento
148. Dracula 3D (2012)
149. La porta sul buio: Il tram a.k.a. The Train (1973)
150. Non ho sonno a.k.a. Sleepless (2001)
151. Il cartaio a.k.a. The Card Player (2004)
152. Giallo (2009)
153. Il fantasma dell'opera a.k.a. Phantom of the Opera (1998)

Run #40: Peter Bogdanovich
154. Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women (1968)
155. Naked City: A Killer Christmas (1998)
156. A Saintly Switch (1999)
157. Daisy Miller (1974)
158. The Thing Called Love (1993)

Run #41: Doris Wishman
159. Diary of a Nudist (1961)
160. The Sex Perils of Paulette (1965)
161. My Brothers Wife (1966)

Run #42: Mary Harron
162. The Moth Diaries (2011)
163. Anna Nicole (2013)
164. I Shot Andy Warhol (1996)

Run #43: Wim Wenders
165. The Million Dollar Hotel (2000)
166. Submergence (2017)
167. The End of Violence (1997)
168. Don't Come Knocking (2005)

Run #44: Sion Sono
169. Tsumetai nettaigyo a.k.a. Cold Fish (2010)
170. Koi no tsumi a.k.a. Guilty of Romance (2011)
171. Dankon: The Man (1998)
172. Seigi no tatsujin: Nyotai tsubo saguri a.k.a. Teachers of Sexual Play: Modelling Urns with the Female Body (2000)
173. Kessen! Joshiryô tai Danshiryô a.k.a. Decisive Match! Girls Dorm Against Boys Dorm (1988)
174. Antiporno (2016)
175. Love & Peace (2015)
176-177. Shorts: 0cm4 (2001), Ore wa Sono Sion da! a.k.a. I Am Sono Sion! (1985), Vagina and Virgin (1995), Love Songs (1984), Ai a.k.a. Love (1986), Chichi no hi a.k.a. Father's Day (2003), Kaze a.k.a. Wind (1998), Great Riches - MV DEEP INTO THE DAYDREAM ~ I Can't afford ~ (music video), Halko Momoi - Mail Me (music video)

Run #45: Sam Peckinpah
178. The Osterman Weekend (1983)
179. ABC Stage 67: Noon Wine (1966)
180. The Killer Elite (1975)

Run #46: Stuart Gordon
181. Robot Jox (1989)
182. King of the Ants (2003)
183. Daughter of Darkness (1990)

Run #47: Masayuki Kojima
184. Made in Abyss: Hôrô Suru Tasogare a.k.a. Made in Abyss: Wandering Twilight (2019)
185. A Spirit of the Sun (2006)
186. Tibet inu monogatari a.k.a. Tibetan Dog (2011)

Run #48: Woody Allen
187. Another Woman (1988)
188. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010)
189. A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982)
190. Alice (1990)

Run #49: Joe Dante
191. The Warlord: Battle for the Galaxy a.k.a. Osiris Chronicles (1998)
192. Nightmare Cinema (2018)
193. The Hole (2009)

Run #50: Mario Bava
194. I coltelli del vendicatore a.k.a. Knives of the Avenger (1966)
195. Ringo del Nebraska a.k.a. Savage Gringo (1966)
196. Roy Colt & Winchester Jack (1970)
197. Le spie vengono dal semifreddo a.k.a. Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966)
198. 5 bambole per la luna d'agosto a.k.a. 5 Dolls for an August Moon (1970)

Run #51: John Boorman
199. The Emerald Forest (!985)
200. The Tiger's Tail (2006)
201. Hell in the Pacific (1968)

Run #52: Curtis Harrington
202. The Cat Creature (1973)
203. The Dead Don't Die (1975)
204. Games (1967)
205. Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell (1978)
206. Ruby (1977)
207. Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1971)
208. The Killing Kind (1973)
209. How Awful About Allan (1970)

Run #53: Aleksandr Sokurov
210. Mat i syn a.k.a Mother and Son (1997)
211. Mariya (1988)
212. Spasi i sokhrani a.k.a. Save & Protect (1989)

Run #54: Rainer Werner Fassbinder
213. Despair (1978)
214. In einem Jahr mit 13 Monden a.k.a. In A Year With 13 Moons (1978)
215. Händler der vier Jahreszeiten a.k.a. The Merchant of Four Seasons (1972)

Run #55: Nobuhiko Ôbayashi
216. Confession (1968)
217. Hyôryu kyôshitsu a.k.a. Drifting Classroom (1987)
218a. E no naka no shôjo a.k.a. Girl in the Picture (1960)
218b. Complex (1964)
218c. Nakasendô (1963)
219. Making of Dreams: A Movie Conversation between Akira Kurosawa and Nobuhiko Ôbayashi (1990)

Run #56: Kiyoshi Kurosawa
220. Sanpo suru shinryakusha a.k.a. Before We Vanish (2017)
221. Kishibe no tabi a.k.a. Journey to the Shore (2015)
222. Sebunsu kôdo a.k.a. Seventh Code (2013)
223. Sakebi a.k.a. Retribution (2006)
224. Sûîto Homu a.k.a. Sweet Home (1989)
225. Umezu Kazuo: Kyôfu gekijô - Mushi-tachi no ie a.k.a. Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Bug's House (2005)

Run #57: Robert Altman
226. Thieves Like Us (1974)
227. The Delinquents (1957)
228. Dr. T and the Women (2000)
229. Quintet (1979)

Run #58: Jack Hill
230. Blood Bath (1966)
231. The Raw Ones (1965)
232. La muerte viviente a.k.a. Isle of the Snake People (1971)

Run #59: Walter Hill
233. Undisputed (2002)
234. Supernova (2000)
235. Wild Bill (1995)

Run #60: Andy Milligan
236. Bloodthirsty Butchers (1970)
237. Guru, the Mad Monk (1970)
238. Seeds (1968)

Run #61: Álex de la Iglesia
239. El bar a.k.a. The Bar (2017)
240. The Oxford Murders (2008)
241. Crimen ferpecto a.k.a. The Perfect Crime (2004)

Run #62: Francesco Rosi
242. Lucky Luciano (1973)
243. Diario napoletano a.k.a. Neapolitan Diary (1992)
244. Uomini contro a.k.a. Many Wars Ago (1970)

Run #63: Bruce McDonald
245: Hard Core Logo 2 (2010)
246. Music from the Big House (2010)
247. Hellions (2015)

Run #64: Cirio H. Santiago
248. Fly Me (1973)
249. The Devastator (1986)
250. Vampire Hookers (1978)

Run #65: John Ford
251. The Long Gray Line (1955)
252. Four Sons (1928)
253. Sergeant Rutledge (1960)

Run #66: Lucio Fulci
254. Murderock - Uccide a passo di danza a.k.a. Murder-Rock (1984)
255. Conquest (1983)
256. Zombi 3 (1988)

Run #67: Agnès Varda
257. Jacquot de Nantes (1991)
258. Les créatures (1966)
259. Les plages d'Agnès a.k.a. The Beaches of Agnès (2008)

Run #68: Godfrey Ho
260. Revenge of the Drunken Master (1984)
261. Diamond Ninja Force a.k.a. Ghost Ninja (1988)
262. Long quan xiao zi a.k.a. Dynamite Shaolin Heroes (1977)

Run #69: José Ramón Larraz
265. Estigma (1980)

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 1st, 2020, 11:22 pm

1. Double Down (2005)
4. Pass Thru (2016)
5. Twisted Pair (2018)

9. Dreamspeaker (1976)
10. Surfacing (1981)
11. By Design (1981)

13. Beowulf (2007)

19. Shadowed (1946)
21. The Capture (1950)
23. Underwater! (1955)
25. Sergeants 3 (1962)

29. City on Fire (1979)
31. Death Ship (1980)

32. Autumn Born (1979)
34. Possession (1987)

41. Screwballs (1983)
43. Recruits (1986)
44. State Park (1988)

48. Savage (1973)

52. Swamp Women (1956)
55. The Undead (1957)
58. Sorority Girl (1957)
59. Teenage Doll (1957)
60. Carnival Rock (1957)
63. I Mobster (1959)

Bert Gordon - Mr. B.I.G.

68. King Dinosaur (1955)

High-Concept Comedy with Ivan Reitman

69. Cannibal Girls (1973)
70. Meatballs (1979) (re-watch)
71. Stripes (1981 (re-watch)
On the Road With Bruce McDonald

Bruce McDonald - rarely if ever seen without the straw hat - was born in 1959 in Kingston, Ontario, and graduated the film program at Ryerson University, Toronto, where he has mostly made his home since. His first feature, Knock! Knock! appeared in 1985 and seems awfully obscure; in the intervening 35 years he's made 15 more features and directed dozens of TV episodes. While his loose road "trilogy" and some other early films mark him as a chronicler of punkish outsiders moving around, trying to find a place to fit in, he's also made several horror films and a couple of highly experimental films. One thing most of his films have in common is large casts, and typically no easily-defined single protagonist, with a loose feeling for narrative/plot.

72. Roadkill (1989)

Valerie Buhagiar plays a young woman, sort of an intern I guess though the nature of her job is never precisely clear, sent on the road up north to find a band of loose cannons who aren't bothering to show up for their gigs. Along the way she runs into a would-be serial-killer, a much younger teenager who she has a one-night stand with and who gives her his car, and various other odd examples of humanity, all the while finding then losing the band multiple times. This is a weird little fairly plotless film, shot in black and white and very cheaply, that is probably going to remind many people of Jim Jarmusch's or Wim Wenders' early films, with their emphases on musically-inclined weirdos and outsiders. And that seems fair though I have no idea where McDonald actually draws his influences - and credit needs to also be given to screenwriter Don McKellar, who also plays the wanna-be Travis Bickle character. It's a quirky little film that I had mixed feelings about for most of it's run-time but which rather grew on me at the very end, and in thinking about it later.

73. Highway 61 (1991)

Buhagiar and McKellar star again in this second of the road trilogy (the third is Hardcore Logo, the best and best-known probably, which I saw a couple of years ago), with McKellar acting again as a screenwriter (along with director McDonald and Allan Magee). Here we find McKellar as a shy and introverted small-town barber with a sort of Robert Smith haircut who gets mixed up with Buhagiar, a criminal who's intent on smuggling drugs to New Orleans with the help of a handy dead body - masquerading it as her brother. As the title suggests it takes place along Highway 61, the "Blues Highway" which runs from Bob Dylan's home state of Minnesota, through Robert Johnson country and down to the Big Easy. And given that Robert Johnson is an unmentioned but potent presence in the story, it wouldn't be right if we didn't have the Devil (Earl Pastko) on their trail for the soul of the departed, would it? This is more structured than the previous film, and I think that's actually a bit of a problem. Buhagiar's character is so unlikable, and the two male characters so one-note that it becomes a bit stale over it's 102 minutes, though there are several fun individual scenes and as one would hope. some great music from such luminaries as Tom Jones, BTO and The Ramones (Joey had a bit part in Roadkill). No Dylan or Johnson though - probably too expensive for this low budget production. Overall for me worth seeing but only just.

74. Picture Claire (2001)

I had no expectations for this at all and that might have been a good thing, as I was really pleasantly surprised by this noirish fish-out-of-water/mistaken identity crime pic. Juliette Lewis is the titular Claire, a Montréal native who speaks no English whatsoever, who is forced to leave her apartment after it's burned down (why and by whom we'll learn later), travelling to Toronto to meet up with a guy who it seems is a boyfriend. When she gets to his apartment though he's not around, and she soon finds out that he's not really waiting for her; meanwhile she's also being mistaken for a similar-looking young woman (Gina Gerson) who's just committed a very violent crime. Modern noir, in the USA or Canada at least, tends to follow one of two major influences from what I've seen - David Lynch weirdness and narrative complexity, or Quentin Tarantino violence and snappy dialogue (and also sometimes some narrative tricks). With it's split screens and an uneasy opening I thought at first this was going to go more in the Lynchian mode but it really ends up being much closer to QT's wheelhouse in the end. There are plenty of little plot twists and turns and I love the wave McDonald uses the physical landscape of the city - the feel of back allies, bright boulevards and big old apartments is more palpable here than in most films of this type, in this day. Lewis is surprisingly good and believable in her part - no idea if she studied French or grew up speaking it, but having spent a lot of time around native Montréalers I'd say she does better than I'd expect a native Californian here; there's a bit where she's talking to herself ans slouching along actually where she totally reminds me of my sister-in-law who's from Québec, and Gerson and the rest of the cast, including Callum Keith Rennie in the most Tarantinoesque role, and Mickey Rourke in a short but memorable bit, are all fine as well. Not a great film or anything and certainly nothing all that new apart from it's language subplot (part of the reason the story gets more complicated being that Claire keeps making strange choices because she doesn't understand what's going on), but it kept me interested for sure.

That's it for me, thanks flavo! A highly successful first iteration of this challenge indeed and I look forward to playing again.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 2nd, 2020, 3:22 am

Jesús Franco

Jesús Franco, or often Jess Franco, was an incredibly prolific Spanish director (IMDB has him at 207 titles directed) primarily in the horror and sexploitation genres. He was often known for his surrealistic sequences and inscrutable narratives that flowed more like dreams at times or possibly like jazz, improvising on a theme. Franco was driven to produce films non-stop which meant that the quality was not always there. But even in his worst films, you could often see a nugget of something interesting even if only for a few minutes. Does this make his whole filmography worth seeing? Certainly not to any but the biggest fans. But he has produced several films that should be seen by fans of both horror and more artistic pursuits. Places to start for his more psychedelic experimental side would be probably his late ‘60s/early ‘70s period when he directed films like Venus In Furs, Vampyros Lesbus and Succubus. Or if you want something more conventional, Franco’s Dr. Orloff films and Fu Manchu films were hits with the public and proved to be a solid spins on the mad doctor and spy sub-genres. I would suggest foregoing anything post ‘70s until you have decided whether Franco is the kind of director for you though. He produced many adult films, shot-on-video rush jobs and was just much more uneven but still shockingly prolific even until just shortly before his death in 2013. Still, Franco has a massive cult following and in the right state of mind can offer a fascinating and rewarding viewing experience if you have the patience to look for that nugget of gold amid the pile of shit.

ImageImageImageImageImage
266. Cartes sur table a.k.a. Attack of the Robots (1966)
267. Paula-Paula (2010)
268. Lucky, el intrépido a.k.a. Lucky The Inscrutable (1967)
269. El mirón y la exhibicionista a.k.a. The Voyeur & The Exhibitionist (1986)
270. Faceless (1987)
Attack of the Robots is a light and fun comedic spy thriller starring Eddie Constantine fresh off his breakout role in Godard’s Alphaville. The plot involves some nonsense about robots killing people with blood type O, but really, you watch movies like this for the swingin’ tunes and far out style.
Paula-Paula is one of Franco’s last films and was also the last film of Lina Romay, Franco’s long-time muse of over 40 years (they officially married in 2008). Romay only has a small part in this one as a detective that questions a woman about the murder of her lover, an exotic dancer. After the initial setup and the curious claim in the credits that this was based on Stevenson’s Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, the film goes into gonzo low budget Franco mode with weird mirror effects, typical Franco zooms and other surreal touches while all kinds of psychedelic jazz spirals out of control on the soundtrack and I assume the movie flashes back to the lovers making out and exotic dancing. There’s really very little plot and the whole thing looks like it was shot in like one or two rooms in a couple of days on video. Still, that music is pretty damn boss.
Lucky the Inscrutable is another of Franco’s ‘60s spy comedies and is definitely on the slick and breezy side. Not exactly an out-and-out spoof (although there are certain parts like the ending that definitely veer more into that territory), Ray Danton plays the titular character who gets mixed up with an Albanian woman in a plot to blow up a factory or something. It doesn’t matter a whole lot. Regardless the movie is actually a lot of fun and the soundtrack is just delightful.
The Voyeur & The Exhibitionist is pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel Franco porn. The premise is pretty much there in the title. A voyeur spies Lina Romay through a window in various stages of undress and begins to masturbate and she pleasures herself and others. Pretty much from the early sequence of Romay (at this point in her career past what some would call her prime but honestly Romay is still a beautiful woman even here) washing her ass in an extreme closeup for what feels like forever, we know we are somewhere in the dankest cellars of Franco’s psyche. Only recommended for Franco completists.
Faceless is actually one of only a handful of films that Franco would be given a decent budget to produce a legitimate film for post 1980 and is a solid if not amazing twisted giallo with some pretty gruesome gore effects. The plot involves a model who goes missing and whose father (Telly Savalas) hires an asshole detective to track her down. Unbeknownst to them, the model was kidnapped by a crazed plastic surgeon who is harvesting parts from beautiful women to use in his surgeries and whose sister was badly scarred in an accident intended to damage him. The plot is a setup for a series of murders committed by the Dr. and crew of people who begin to discover what’s going on at the clinic as the detective closes in on him. I think this one might be elevated a little higher than it probably should be just because even a tarnished diamond is going to shine brighter in shit than anything else around it.
The Master at WorkShow

5. Sette orchidee macchiate di rosso a.k.a. Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (Lenzi, 1972)

11. Toppuu! Minipato tai - Aikyacchi Jankushon a.k.a. Eyecatch Junction (Miike, 1991)
13b. Tsukamoto Shin'ya ga Ranpo suru a.k.a. Making of Shinya Tsukamoto's Gemini (Miike, 2000)

34c. His Trust: The Faithful Devotion and Self-Sacrifice of an Old Negro Servant (1911)
35c. Enoch Arden (1911)
36b. The Usurer (1910)

37. May It Last: A Portrait of the Avett Brothers (Apatow/Michael Bonfiglio, 2017)

44. Elvis (1979)
45. The Ward (2010)

46. Tote Taube in der Beethovenstraße a.k.a. Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973)
47. Shark! (!969)
48. China Gate (1957)

51. For Men Only (1968)

54. Good Times (1967)

63. 65 Revisited (2007)

66. Kotoko (2011)
69. Vital (2004)

71. Andersonville (1996)
73. The Challenge (1982)
74. Grand Prix (1966)

75. Night Terrors (1993)
76. Haunted Lives: True Ghost Stories: Ghosts R Us/Legend of Kate Morgan/School Spirit (1991)
77. Mortuary (2005)
79. Djinn (2013)
80. Eggshells (1969)
81. The Dark (1979)
82. Crocodile (2000)

84. Passion (2012)
85. Home Movies (1979)

89. Remember (2015)
90. Ararat (2002)

94. Bambi (1942)
95-96. Shorts [Pluto's Judgement Day (1935), Thru the Mirror (1936), Mickey's Elephant (1936), Mickey's Polo Team (1936), Alpine Climbers (1936), Magician Mickey (1937), The Whalers (1938), Birds in the Spring (1933), Old King Cole (1933), Three Blind Mouseketeers (1936), Little Hiawatha (1937), Three Orphan Kittens (1935), More Kittens (1936), The Flying Mouse (1934), Who Killed Cock Robin? (1935)]

97. Dumbo (1941)
98-99. Shorts [On Ice (1935), Mickey's Fire Brigade (1935), Mickey's Circus (1936), Moving Day (1936), Orphans' Picnic (1936), Hawaiian Holiday (1937), Moose Hunters (1937), The Worm Turns (1937), Clock Cleaners (1937), Mickey's Trailer (1938), Broken Toys (1935), Cock o' the Walk (1935), Nature's Strangest Creatures (1959)]

101. Dev.D (2009)
102. Ugly (2013)

112. Les plus belles escroqueries du monde a.k.a. The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers (1964)

113. Ophélia (1963)
115. Les dossiers secrets de l'inspecteur Lavardin: Maux croisés a.k.a. Danger Lies in the Words (1989)

117. Chiller (1985)

123. Battle Hymn (1957)

127. Violenza in un carcere femminile a.k.a. Violence in a Women's Prison (1982)

141. Rabbits (2002)
147c. Ballerina (2007)

148. Dracula 3D (2012)
152. Giallo (2009)

157. Daisy Miller (1974)

163. Anna Nicole (2013)

166. Submergence (2017)

172. Seigi no tatsujin: Nyotai tsubo saguri a.k.a. Teachers of Sexual Play: Modelling Urns with the Female Body (2000)
173. Kessen! Joshiryô tai Danshiryô a.k.a. Decisive Match! Girls Dorm Against Boys Dorm (1988)
174. Antiporno (2016)
175. Love & Peace (2015)
176-177. Shorts: 0cm4 (2001), Ore wa Sono Sion da! a.k.a. I Am Sono Sion! (1985), Vagina and Virgin (1995), Love Songs (1984), Ai a.k.a. Love (1986), Chichi no hi a.k.a. Father's Day (2003), Kaze a.k.a. Wind (1998), Great Riches - MV DEEP INTO THE DAYDREAM ~ I Can't afford ~ (music video), Halko Momoi - Mail Me (music video)

181. Robot Jox (1989)

184. Made in Abyss: Hôrô Suru Tasogare a.k.a. Made in Abyss: Wandering Twilight (2019)

190. Alice (1990)

193. The Hole (2009)

197. Le spie vengono dal semifreddo a.k.a. Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966)

204. Games (1967)
206. Ruby (1977)

211. Mariya (1988)

213. Despair (1978)

216. Confession (1968)
218b. Complex (1964)
218c. Nakasendô (1963)
219. Making of Dreams: A Movie Conversation between Akira Kurosawa and Nobuhiko Ôbayashi (1990)

225. Umezu Kazuo: Kyôfu gekijô - Mushi-tachi no ie a.k.a. Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Bug's House (2005)

229. Quintet (1979)

230. Blood Bath (1966)
231. The Raw Ones (1965)

233. Undisputed (2002)
234. Supernova (2000)
235. Wild Bill (1995)

238. Seeds (1968)

247. Hellions (2015)

248. Fly Me (1973)

252. Four Sons (1928)

255. Conquest (1983)
256. Zombi 3 (1988)

265. Estigma (1980)

Run #70: Jesus Franco
267. Paula-Paula (2010)
270. Faceless (1987)

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » August 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am

Thanks so much for the excellent hosting flavo. Really enjoyed the writeups too. Excellent exchange on me too with Allisoncm as well.

Whilst I watched 3 from Spike Lee and Polanski later in the month, it didn't fall within the rules as I watched a couple of films in between. Really enjoyed this challenge.

Congratulations to the top three, really impressive numbers!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 2nd, 2020, 1:20 pm

Alright folks! OP has been updated for the final time! Congrats to everyone who had a good showing in one of the Bonus Challenges!

For the overall challenge, we end with me in 1st, psychotronicbeatnik in 2nd with those ever present turkey trots, allisoncm in 3rd with that epic Alfred E. Green run (which also netted her first in the Deep Bonus Challenge), Obgeoff in 4th and zuma in 5th.

for the Deep Bonus Challenge, as I mentioned before allison handily one on that one despite psychotronicbeatnik edging up there with that Polonia run. I've added the director for the longest run to the OP for anyone with a run of five or more as well if anyone wants to check out that stat.

For the Wide Bonus Challenge, my OCD won that one with a total of 70 individual runs and allisoncm coming in second with a still impressive 32 separate runs.

Finally on the Top 250 Directors Challenge, we cumulatively ended up hitting up 98 out of 250 of the directors which really isn't bad at all. I have a feeling we would've gotten to many more if not for the Low Rating Challenge going on concurrently. ;)

And for anyone interesting, here's a massive list of all the directors and their total number of watches! We ended up watching films from 296 different directors which is pretty massive!
Expand For Bigass Director TableShow
Alfred E. Green 39
Mark Polonia 32
Michael Curtiz 26
Jim Wynorski 23
David Cronenberg 21
Seijun Suzuki 19
Brian De Palma 19
Roger Corman 17
Steven Spielberg 16
Joseph Losey 15
Takashi Miike 14
Jean-Luc Godard 14
Bert I. Gordon 14
Atom Egoyan 14
William Castle 13
Sion Sono 13
Spike Lee 12
Robert Altman 12
Jacques Becker 12
Umberto Lenzi 11
Jerry Warren 11
Sacha Guitry 10
Jean Renoir 10
Ingmar Bergman 10
Herschell Gordon Lewis 10
Billy Wilder 10
Antonio Margheriti 10
Alfred Hitchcock 10
Abel Ferrara 10
Tobe Hooper 9
Stan Brakhage 9
Shin'ya Tsukamoto 9
John Sturges 9
Christian Petzold 9
Bill Rebane 9
Mike Leigh 8
Frank Capra 8
Éric Rohmer 8
Curtis Harrington 8
Anthony C. Ferrante 8
Wes Craven 7
Robert Aldrich 7
Krzysztof Kieslowski 7
Ken Loach 7
John Carpenter 7
Ivan Reitman 7
Howard Hawks 7
Guy Maddin 7
Denys Arcand 7
David Lynch 7
Anatole Litvak 7
Alan J. Pakula 7
Al Adamson 7
William Wyler 6
William Fruet 6
William Friedkin 6
William Dieterle 6
Sidney Lumet 6
Samuel Fuller 6
Sam Newfield 6
René Clair 6
Paul Lynch 6
Kiyoshi Kurosawa 6
King Vidor 6
John Huston 6
John Ford 6
Hugo Haas 6
Edgar Wright 6
Denis Villeneuve 6
Dario Argento 6
Claude Sautet 6
Claude Chabrol 6
Bruno Mattei 6
Bruce McDonald 6
Werner Herzog 5
Robert Zemeckis 5
Rafal Zielinski 5
Peter Bogdanovich 5
Neil Breen 5
Miloš Forman 5
Mario Bava 5
Lloyd A. Simandl 5
John Frankenheimer 5
Jared Cohn 5
Frederick Wiseman 5
Eduardo Coutinho 5
Dariush Mehrjui 5
Clint Eastwood 5
Yoshiaki Kawajiri 4
Woody Allen 4
Wim Wenders 4
William Lustig 4
William A. Wellman 4
Timothy Bond 4
Stephen R. Monroe 4
Scott Wheeler 4
Robert Rodriguez 4
Richard E. Cunha 4
Norman Mailer 4
Nobuhiko Ôbayashi 4
Michael Snow 4
Luigi Cozzi 4
Louis Malle 4
King Hu 4
Kenny Ortega 4
Karel Kachyna 4
Julien Duvivier 4
Joe Johnston 4
Jean Rollin 4
Don Michael Paul 4
Carlos Saura 4
Brian Trenchard-Smith 4
Bo Widerberg 4
Arunas Zebriunas 4
Amat Escalante 4
Allan Dwan 4
Alex de la Iglesia 4
Walter Salles 3
Walter Hugo Khouri 3
Walter Hill 3
W. Lee Wilder 3
Viktor Tourjansky 3
Victor Sjöström 3
Victor Iliu 3
Vera Chytilová 3
Uwe Boll 3
Toshio Hirata 3
Toshiki Hirano 3
Todd Sheets 3
Terrence Malick 3
Terence Fisher 3
Ted V. Mikels 3
Steven Soderbergh 3
Stanley Kramer 3
Shakti Samanta 3
Seth Holt 3
Sergio Leone 3
Sergio Grieco 3
Sean Baker 3
Sammo Kam-Bo Hung 3
Rudolf Jugert 3
Rouben Mamoulian 3
Rolf de Heer 3
Roger Vadim 3
Ridley Scott 3
Riccardo Freda 3
Ray Dennis Steckler 3
Raúl Ruiz 3
Raoul Walsh 3
Raoul Ruiz 3
R. G. Springsteen 3
Quentin Tarantino 3
Pupi Avati 3
Powell & Pressburger 3
Phillip Noyce 3
Philippe Garrel 3
Philippe de Brocca 3
Peter Weir 3
Peter Medak 3
Peter Jackson 3
Pete Walker 3
Pedro Almodóvar 3
Pascal Laugier 3
Paolo Sorrentino 3
Orson Welles 3
Olivier Assayas 3
Oliver Stone 3
Norman Foster 3
Noah Baumbach 3
Nikos Papatakis 3
Nicole Holofcener 3
Nicolás Pereda 3
Nicolas Pereda 3
Nicholas Roeg 3
Nadine Trintignant 3
Montgomery Tully 3
Monte Hellman 3
Mikio Naruse 3
Michael Powell 3
Michael Mann 3
Michael Dowse 3
Mervyn Leroy 3
Mélanie Laurent 3
Max Nosseck 3
Masami Obari 3
Mary Harron 3
Martin Scorsese 3
Manoel de Oliveira 3
Lucian Pintilie 3
Lucas Demare 3
Lindsay Shonteff 3
Leigh Scott 3
Lawrence Huntington 3
Lars Von Trier 3
Krsto Papić 3
Ken Russell 3
Ken Hughes 3
Kelly Reichardt 3
Karim Ainouz 3
Jules Dassin 3
Judd Apatow 3
Joris Ivens 3
Jonathan Demme 3
Johnnie To 3
John Stockwell 3
John Hayes 3
John Harlow 3
John H. Auer 3
John Cassavetes 3
John Boorman 3
John Baxter 3
Joe Dante 3
Jesús Franco 3
Jean-Daniel Pollet 3
Jean Rouch 3
Jean Grémillon 3
Jason Bourque 3
James Whale 3
James Gray 3
James Cruze 3
Jaime Humberto Hermosillo 3
Jacques Tourneur 3
Jacques Feyder 3
Jacqueline Audry 3
Jack Hill 3
J.C. Chandor 3
Ilya Khrzhanovsky 3
Hristo Piskov 3
Hou Hsiao-Hsien 3
Hirokazu Koreeda 3
Henry King 3
Henry Edwards 3
H. Bruce Humberstone 3
Greydon Clark 3
Glenn Miller 3
Gilles Carle 3
Gérard Oury 3
Georges Lautner 3
George Stevens 3
George Erschbamer 3
George Cuckor 3
Gakuryu Ishii 3
G.W. Pabst 3
Fritz Lang 3
Frank Launder 3
Frank Borzage 3
François Truffaut 3
François Reichenbach 3
François Ozon 3
François Girard 3
Franco Rossi 3
Francis Ford Coppola 3
Francesco Rosi 3
Fernando Arrabal 3
Erwin C. Dietrich 3
Elio Petri 3
Edward Dmytryk 3
Edward Buzzell 3
Edgar G. Ulmer 3
Douglas Sirk 3
Doris Wishman 3
Don Edmunds 3
Don Dohler 3
"Djibril Diop Mambéty
"
Dino Risi 3
David Michôd 3
David Hand 3
D.W. Griffith 3
D.A. Pennebaker 3
Claude Jutra 3
Claude Autant-Lara 3
Cirio H. Santiago 3
Christopher Nolan 3
Chantal Ackerman 3
Carl Schenkel 3
Bruno Dumont 3
Brett Kelly 3
Boris Yashin 3
Bob Misiorowski 3
Blake Edwards 3
Ben Sharpsteen 3
Basu Chatterjee 3
Anurag Kashyap 3
Antonio Pietrangeli 3
Anthony Asquith 3
Angela Schanelec 3
Andy Milligan 3
Alvin Rakoff 3
Alexandre Astruc 3
Aleksandr Sokurov 3
Albert Serra 3
Alain Corneau 3
Alain Cavalier 3
Akira Kurosawa 3
Abel Gance 3
Abbas Kiarostami 3
A big thank you to everyone who participated in the challenge and in the various engaging discussions! I had a blast reading all the great write-ups on directors and seeing what everyone was watching. Hopefully we can do this one again. :party:

frbrown

Post by frbrown » August 2nd, 2020, 4:19 pm

Thanks for hosting, flavo, and thanks to all the participants for making this a fun challenge :cheers: Let's do it again next year!

Also, some impressive scores, almost Horror Challenge level!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 2nd, 2020, 4:52 pm

Thank you so much for hosting, Flavo!

Unfortunately I was away without access to the Internet this weekend (safe at restaurants, etc.), so couldn't record my last runs. No need to add them to the tally.
SpoilerShow
Christian Petzold:
1. Pilotinnen (1995) 6.5-7/10
2. Cubra Libre (1996) 7-7.5/10
3. Die Beischlafdiebin (1998) 6.5/10
4. Barbara (2012) 8.5/10
5. Phoenix (2014) 8.5-9/10
6. Toter Mann / (There's Always) Something There To Remind Me (2001) 7.5/10
7. Wolfsburg (2003) 8/10
8.Gespenster / Ghosts (2005) 7/10
9. Yella (2007) 7/10

Angela Schanelec
10. Ich bin den Sommer über in Berlin geblieben (1994) 6.5/10
11. Marseille (2004) 7/10
12. Ich war zuhause, aber / I Was Home, But ... (2019) 7.5/10

Karel Kachyna
13. Zlati uhori / The Golden Eels (1979) 6.5/10
14. Love Beetween the Raindrops (1980) 9/10
15. Hanele (1999) 8/10
16. Ucho / The Ear (1970-1990) 9.5/10 REWATCH

Djibril Diop Mambéty
17. Badou Boy (1970) 7/10
18. Le franc / The Lot (1994) 7.5/10
19. La petite vendeuse de soleil / The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun (1999) 7/10

Arunas Zebriunas
20. Paskutine atostogu diena / the Girl and the Echo (1964) 6/10
21. Grazuole / The Beautiful Girl (1969)
22. Velnio nuotaka / The Devil's Bride (1974) 8/10
23. Riesutu Duona / Walnut Bread (1977) 8/10

Jean Renoir
24. Madame Bovary (1934) 5/10
25. La vie est à nous / Life Is Ours (1936) 4/10
26. Le caporal épinglé / The Elusive Corporal (1962) 7/10
27. The Diary of a Chambermaid (1946) 8/10
28. Chotard et Cie / Chotard and Company (1933) 6/10
29. Le Bled (1929) 4.5/10

Nikos Papatakis
30. Gloria mundi (1976) 7.5-8/10
31. I fotografia (1986) 7.5/10
32. Les équilibristes / Walking a Tightrope (1991) 8/10

Dariush Mehrjui
33. Postchi / The Postman (1972) 5/10
34. Dayereh mina / The Cycle (1977) 4/10
35. Ejareh-Nesheenha / The Tenents (1987) 4/10
36. Hamoun (1990) 4.5/10
37. Leila (1997) 7/10

Lucian Pintilie
38. Paviljon VI / Ward Six (1973-1978) 6.5/10
39. De ce trag clopotele, Mitica? / Why Are the Bells Ringing, Mitica? (1981) 7/10 then 9/10
40. Balanta / The Oak (1992) 8/10

Eric Rohmer
41. L'Anglaise et le duc / The Lady and the Duke (2001) 8/10
42. Triple Agent (2004) 8/10
43. Les amours d'Astrée et de Céladon / The Romance of Astrea and Celadon (2007) 8.5/10

Bo Widerberg
44.Kvarteret Korpen / Raven's End (1963) 7.5/10
45. Kärlek 65 / Love 65 (1965) 7/10
46. Joe Hill (1971) 6.5/10
47. Mannen från Mallorca / The Man from Majorca (1984) 7/10

Philippe de Brocca
48. Les jeux de l'amour / The Love Game (1960) 5.5/10
49. Le roi de coeur / King of Hearts (1966) 8/10
50. Le diable par la queue / The Devil by the Tail (1969) 4/10
Paul Vecchiali

51. L'étrangleur (1970) 8/10
52. C'est la vie! (1980) 8/10
53. C'est l'amour (2015) 6/10

L'étrangleur is an odd, sensual serial killer film only Vecchiali would be likely to make. Imagine his later homage to Sirk (Drugstore Romance) but as a cop vs. serial killer film that break most of the rules. There is a tenderness, eroticism and minimalism attached to the murder and the presentation of the topic of a young killer who believes he is putting women out of their misery (all the women he kills are suicidal, essentially he steps in before they kill themselves). It is the soft, minimalist style that makes this such a unique and great experience, and showcases just what Vecchiali could do.

C'est la vie! is a gorgeous gem, playing with the same colours (red, light blue, yellow and green) that you'll see in Godard's films (and doing it wonderfully) while also playing with forms. I just love the way the set is contstructed, seemingly a home in the middle of the field with open walls so that our characters can seamlessly walk in and out. It feels so open, creative and playful. Just breathtaking cinema in general, with the more soft denial of expectations you'd expect with Vecchiali.

Jumping 35 years ahead (and 27 years after the latest Vecchiali I have seen), it is clear that he is still playing with form and colour. Given the title I had hoped a kind of follow up to the ideas from C'est la vie! and though there are some overlaps (deconstruction of a marriage and the colour red) they are very different. He has certainly lost something in this move to digital. It feels like it could have been an earlier Guiraudie (in terms acting, stylization). I think there could have been better casting - the female lead was strong, but her counter-part did not have the presence for me. The opening 4-5m repeated dialogue - first camera on him - then an exact repeat, but with the camera on her was such a great idea, and there are many interesting things here, but it still felt like a severe downgrade. It should be added that this is the only remotely recent film I could find with subtitles ...

Michel Deville
*I did not manage to finish Diary of an Innocent Boy until August 1st,with the latter two entries following on after that, but I'll include Deville in this thread never the less.

- Ce soir ou jamais / Tonight or Never (1961) 6/10
- Bye bye, Barbara(1969) 3-4/10
- The Diary of an Innocent Boy (1968) 6/10
- Raphaël ou le débauché (1971) 5/10
- The Woman in Blue (1973) 5/10

Deville's solo debut Tonight or Never, showcases just how new wave-adjacent he was at the beginning of his career. Starring anna Karina (in her feature film debut, released before A Woman is a Woman), it is a low-budget/economical one location film set entirely in one singular apartment, and centres on a set of actors and creatives who needs to recast a role in their upcoming musical. What follows are sets of love games, both connected to and completely removed from the hunt of the new actress. The plotting is light, but clever, and it does not restrict itself to the standard plot. All the same, as it also plays as a bit of a "romcom", Karina and Claude Rich gets great and cute chemistry (some late creepiness excluded) and as a whole this is a very strong debut.

And then comes his later career.

I did a thread about him once before, noting the semi-experimental and great Dossier 51, and the sexy crime thriller Death in a French Garden and later The Adorable Liar (a great 60s b/w film), and I can't believe how poor and passable this work is - especially as he seems to be the one to blame.

Anyways, the thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3571&p=492089&hilit ... le#p492089

Bye Bye Barbara was a shock. It was just so ugly and seemingly incompetent. Did he just not care? Or is Deville like Melville is that most of the talent actually lies with the cinematographers? Anyways, this is a bizarre and pathetic crime story, horrible plotted, horribly acted, just a poor excuse in every way - from the random introduction of the love interest to the patchy way everything is constructed. Only thing saving it from a dislike is some minor cleverness and subversive ness and a fake +0.5 points for the poor print ... but wow ...

The Diary of an Innocent Boy is essentially a non-adult erotic film, with the main focus being on cleavages (and with the occasional semi-nude shot). Seeing the cinematography here was such a relief. Finally, we are back in the hands of competency - though it may just be required for a period film of this type. We follow Pierre Clémenti (who would go on to be a much better director than Deville) as a virgin, as he arrives at his aunt's mansion where all the maids and all the visitors and seemingly even his aunt (played by top-billed Michele Morgan ...) wants to sleep with him. The plot is essentially just "who will take his cherry" in a world where everyone sleeps with everyone at all times (seriously, there are several scenes where "Benjamin" is walking and couples in the heat of passion or about to show up hidden in every location). What is odder yet is that we get a smaller role for Catherine Deneuve, and a second billing for Michel Piccoli, who plays the aunt's lover and takes Benjamin under his wings. The one major advantage (except the top 4 in the cast) is just how playful it is, but this kind of thing seems to become Deville's fare ...

Returning to another "sexy" period film with Raphaël, this time with Maurice Ronet as the male lead (and with Anne Wiazemsky and Birgitte Fossey in smaller roles) we follow the confident Aurore (Françoise Fabian) as she falls for the depressed Raphaël, passing his days with brothels and playing with death. The film has solid cinematography, but weaker blocking. It seems to be another "good enough" outing, until the plotting started to fall apart - though there are some ideas that could have been done so much better by a ... well ... better(?) director. Towards the end I couldn't believe how badly he shot some of the scenes.

Ending on The Woman in Blue, once again starring Michel Piccoli (who was pretty damn good as usual) we follow a man who sees a woman in blue and becomes obsessed. I enjoyed some of the creative editing in the beginning, and Piccoli's performance, but once again the direction was fairly abysmal. Even in the opening scene with such great contrast of colour and setting he managed to shoot it in a barely appealing way. There are good ideas here, and with anyone else this could at least have been a good film - and the bizarre thing is - Deville has made really good, even great films - why is he not caring here?

*image from Benjamin:

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » August 3rd, 2020, 1:04 pm

morrison-dylan-fan wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:21 am
jdidaco wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 4:39 am

Hi JD,I hope your weekend is going well & I enjoyed reading your challenge reports. I was wondering how you found Fenella Fielding in Old Dark House to be?

Hi, morrison! Oh yes, Fenella Fielding was definitely the brightest spot of Castle's rather tired and dusty version - fetching, sexy, with a sibylline voice that gives Joan Greenwood some serious competition. I haven't seen much of her around this period (I'm way behind the Carry Ons and Doctor series), but I'll be on the lookout for more Fenella.

Absolutely loved reading your director reports, and of course, your epic, almost legendary, Suzuki dive (and especially glad you liked so much the Capone film, one of my favorite discoveries of the year)!!

:cheers:

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 4th, 2020, 4:54 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 3:22 am
Jesús Franco

Jesús Franco, or often Jess Franco, was an incredibly prolific Spanish director (IMDB has him at 207 titles directed) primarily in the horror and sexploitation genres. He was often known for his surrealistic sequences and inscrutable narratives that flowed more like dreams at times or possibly like jazz, improvising on a theme. Franco was driven to produce films non-stop which meant that the quality was not always there. But even in his worst films, you could often see a nugget of something interesting even if only for a few minutes. Does this make his whole filmography worth seeing? Certainly not to any but the biggest fans. But he has produced several films that should be seen by fans of both horror and more artistic pursuits. Places to start for his more psychedelic experimental side would be probably his late ‘60s/early ‘70s period when he directed films like Venus In Furs, Vampyros Lesbus and Succubus. Or if you want something more conventional, Franco’s Dr. Orloff films and Fu Manchu films were hits with the public and proved to be a solid spins on the mad doctor and spy sub-genres. I would suggest foregoing anything post ‘70s until you have decided whether Franco is the kind of director for you though. He produced many adult films, shot-on-video rush jobs and was just much more uneven but still shockingly prolific even until just shortly before his death in 2013. Still, Franco has a massive cult following and in the right state of mind can offer a fascinating and rewarding viewing experience if you have the patience to look for that nugget of gold amid the pile of shit.

267. Paula-Paula (2010)
270. Faceless (1987)
Attack of the Robots is a light and fun comedic spy thriller starring Eddie Constantine fresh off his breakout role in Godard’s Alphaville. The plot involves some nonsense about robots killing people with blood type O, but really, you watch movies like this for the swingin’ tunes and far out style.
Paula-Paula is one of Franco’s last films and was also the last film of Lina Romay, Franco’s long-time muse of over 40 years (they officially married in 2008). Romay only has a small part in this one as a detective that questions a woman about the murder of her lover, an exotic dancer. After the initial setup and the curious claim in the credits that this was based on Stevenson’s Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, the film goes into gonzo low budget Franco mode with weird mirror effects, typical Franco zooms and other surreal touches while all kinds of psychedelic jazz spirals out of control on the soundtrack and I assume the movie flashes back to the lovers making out and exotic dancing. There’s really very little plot and the whole thing looks like it was shot in like one or two rooms in a couple of days on video. Still, that music is pretty damn boss.
Lucky the Inscrutable is another of Franco’s ‘60s spy comedies and is definitely on the slick and breezy side. Not exactly an out-and-out spoof (although there are certain parts like the ending that definitely veer more into that territory), Ray Danton plays the titular character who gets mixed up with an Albanian woman in a plot to blow up a factory or something. It doesn’t matter a whole lot. Regardless the movie is actually a lot of fun and the soundtrack is just delightful.
The Voyeur & The Exhibitionist is pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel Franco porn. The premise is pretty much there in the title. A voyeur spies Lina Romay through a window in various stages of undress and begins to masturbate and she pleasures herself and others. Pretty much from the early sequence of Romay (at this point in her career past what some would call her prime but honestly Romay is still a beautiful woman even here) washing her ass in an extreme closeup for what feels like forever, we know we are somewhere in the dankest cellars of Franco’s psyche. Only recommended for Franco completists.
Faceless is actually one of only a handful of films that Franco would be given a decent budget to produce a legitimate film for post 1980 and is a solid if not amazing twisted giallo with some pretty gruesome gore effects. The plot involves a model who goes missing and whose father (Telly Savalas) hires an asshole detective to track her down. Unbeknownst to them, the model was kidnapped by a crazed plastic surgeon who is harvesting parts from beautiful women to use in his surgeries and whose sister was badly scarred in an accident intended to damage him. The plot is a setup for a series of murders committed by the Dr. and crew of people who begin to discover what’s going on at the clinic as the detective closes in on him. I think this one might be elevated a little higher than it probably should be just because even a tarnished diamond is going to shine brighter in shit than anything else around it.
The Master at WorkShow

35c. Enoch Arden (1911)
36b. The Usurer (1910)

44. Elvis (1979)
45. The Ward (2010)

47. Shark! (!969)
48. China Gate (1957)

51. For Men Only (1968)

54. Good Times (1967)

63. 65 Revisited (2007)

66. Kotoko (2011)
69. Vital (2004)

71. Andersonville (1996)
73. The Challenge (1982)
74. Grand Prix (1966)

75. Night Terrors (1993)
77. Mortuary (2005)
79. Djinn (2013)
80. Eggshells (1969)
81. The Dark (1979)
82. Crocodile (2000)

84. Passion (2012)
85. Home Movies (1979)

89. Remember (2015)
90. Ararat (2002)

94. Bambi (1942)

97. Dumbo (1941)

101. Dev.D (2009)
102. Ugly (2013)

113. Ophélia (1963)

117. Chiller (1985)

123. Battle Hymn (1957)

141. Rabbits (2002)
147c. Ballerina (2007)

148. Dracula 3D (2012)
152. Giallo (2009)

157. Daisy Miller (1974)

163. Anna Nicole (2013)

166. Submergence (2017)

174. Antiporno (2016)
175. Love & Peace (2015)

181. Robot Jox (1989)

190. Alice (1990)

193. The Hole (2009)

204. Games (1967)
206. Ruby (1977)

211. Mariya (1988)

213. Despair (1978)

216. Confession (1968)
218b. Complex (1964)
218c. Nakasendô (1963)

229. Quintet (1979)

230. Blood Bath (1966)
231. The Raw Ones (1965)

233. Undisputed (2002)
234. Supernova (2000)
235. Wild Bill (1995)

238. Seeds (1968)

247. Hellions (2015)

248. Fly Me (1973)

252. Four Sons (1928)

255. Conquest (1983)
256. Zombi 3 (1988)

265. Estigma (1980)

267. Paula-Paula (2010)
270. Faceless (1987)
glad to see you got around to Franco - he was one of the handfu;l of directors I had planned runs from but didn't manage to include. You really nailed a lot of his films with the phrase: "...really, you watch movies like this for the swingin’ tunes and far out style." Luckily a lot of the soundtracks from his movies, including Lucky, have been released. :cheers:

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 4th, 2020, 7:37 pm

psychotronicbeatnik wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 4:54 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
Jesús Franco

267. Paula-Paula (2010)
270. Faceless (1987)
The Master at WorkShow

35c. Enoch Arden (1911)
36b. The Usurer (1910)

44. Elvis (1979)
45. The Ward (2010)

47. Shark! (!969)
48. China Gate (1957)

51. For Men Only (1968)

54. Good Times (1967)

63. 65 Revisited (2007)

66. Kotoko (2011)
69. Vital (2004)

71. Andersonville (1996)
73. The Challenge (1982)
74. Grand Prix (1966)

75. Night Terrors (1993)
77. Mortuary (2005)
79. Djinn (2013)
80. Eggshells (1969)
81. The Dark (1979)
82. Crocodile (2000)

84. Passion (2012)
85. Home Movies (1979)

89. Remember (2015)
90. Ararat (2002)

94. Bambi (1942)

97. Dumbo (1941)

101. Dev.D (2009)
102. Ugly (2013)

113. Ophélia (1963)

117. Chiller (1985)

123. Battle Hymn (1957)

141. Rabbits (2002)
147c. Ballerina (2007)

148. Dracula 3D (2012)
152. Giallo (2009)

157. Daisy Miller (1974)

163. Anna Nicole (2013)

166. Submergence (2017)

174. Antiporno (2016)
175. Love & Peace (2015)

181. Robot Jox (1989)

190. Alice (1990)

193. The Hole (2009)

204. Games (1967)
206. Ruby (1977)

211. Mariya (1988)

213. Despair (1978)

216. Confession (1968)
218b. Complex (1964)
218c. Nakasendô (1963)

229. Quintet (1979)

230. Blood Bath (1966)
231. The Raw Ones (1965)

233. Undisputed (2002)
234. Supernova (2000)
235. Wild Bill (1995)

238. Seeds (1968)

247. Hellions (2015)

248. Fly Me (1973)

252. Four Sons (1928)

255. Conquest (1983)
256. Zombi 3 (1988)

265. Estigma (1980)

267. Paula-Paula (2010)
270. Faceless (1987)
glad to see you got around to Franco - he was one of the handfu;l of directors I had planned runs from but didn't manage to include. You really nailed a lot of his films with the phrase: "...really, you watch movies like this for the swingin’ tunes and far out style." Luckily a lot of the soundtracks from his movies, including Lucky, have been released. :cheers:
Yea, Franco was actually one of the first directors I had thought of doing with this challenge and I had planned to finish with him from the beginning. I actually personally own like 20 of his movies I haven't seen yet, so I had thought about just spending two or three full days on him. But then I ran out of time and got into the conundrum of "Do I want to watch more Franco or include Larraz, Varda, etc?"

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 4th, 2020, 9:23 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 7:37 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
Jesús Franco

267. Paula-Paula (2010)
270. Faceless (1987)
The Master at WorkShow

35c. Enoch Arden (1911)
36b. The Usurer (1910)

44. Elvis (1979)
45. The Ward (2010)

47. Shark! (!969)
48. China Gate (1957)

51. For Men Only (1968)

54. Good Times (1967)

63. 65 Revisited (2007)

66. Kotoko (2011)
69. Vital (2004)

71. Andersonville (1996)
73. The Challenge (1982)
74. Grand Prix (1966)

75. Night Terrors (1993)
77. Mortuary (2005)
79. Djinn (2013)
80. Eggshells (1969)
81. The Dark (1979)
82. Crocodile (2000)

84. Passion (2012)
85. Home Movies (1979)

89. Remember (2015)
90. Ararat (2002)

94. Bambi (1942)

97. Dumbo (1941)

101. Dev.D (2009)
102. Ugly (2013)

113. Ophélia (1963)

117. Chiller (1985)

123. Battle Hymn (1957)

141. Rabbits (2002)
147c. Ballerina (2007)

148. Dracula 3D (2012)
152. Giallo (2009)

157. Daisy Miller (1974)

163. Anna Nicole (2013)

166. Submergence (2017)

174. Antiporno (2016)
175. Love & Peace (2015)

181. Robot Jox (1989)

190. Alice (1990)

193. The Hole (2009)

204. Games (1967)
206. Ruby (1977)

211. Mariya (1988)

213. Despair (1978)

216. Confession (1968)
218b. Complex (1964)
218c. Nakasendô (1963)

229. Quintet (1979)

230. Blood Bath (1966)
231. The Raw Ones (1965)

233. Undisputed (2002)
234. Supernova (2000)
235. Wild Bill (1995)

238. Seeds (1968)

247. Hellions (2015)

248. Fly Me (1973)

252. Four Sons (1928)

255. Conquest (1983)
256. Zombi 3 (1988)

265. Estigma (1980)

267. Paula-Paula (2010)
270. Faceless (1987)
Yea, Franco was actually one of the first directors I had thought of doing with this challenge and I had planned to finish with him from the beginning. I actually personally own like 20 of his movies I haven't seen yet, so I had thought about just spending two or three full days on him. But then I ran out of time and got into the conundrum of "Do I want to watch more Franco or include Larraz, Varda, etc?"
I have watched all the Franco DVDs I own (maybe 20-25), many of them multiple times, but I keep finding more. And I've seen maybe 50 of his films altogether. I think he may have had more pseudonyms than any other director. I never planned to watch as many Wynorskis as I did - I was really enjoying them and then found a treasure trove of first time views free online and I just kept going. Every challenge is like that - I plan ahead and make lots of lists then deviate from my plans a lot as I see things that others have watched or as i delve deeper into a single director, country or sub-genre. Having the plan always keeps me from going too far astray although I almost always don't get through everything I planned to watch. I'm sorry I didn't get around to rewatching/watching Coleman Francis, Ed Wood, Albert Pyun, Brett Piper and Ted Mikels for this challenge - but it will come around again!

Speaking of Varda - have you seen the details on that Criterion release of her complete films - wowsa! That's going on my Christmas wish list for sure!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 6th, 2020, 9:02 pm

August 4th, 2020, 9:23 pm
flavo5000 wrote:

I have watched all the Franco DVDs I own (maybe 20-25), many of them multiple times, but I keep finding more. And I've seen maybe 50 of his films altogether. I think he may have had more pseudonyms than any other director. I never planned to watch as many Wynorskis as I did - I was really enjoying them and then found a treasure trove of first time views free online and I just kept going. Every challenge is like that - I plan ahead and make lots of lists then deviate from my plans a lot as I see things that others have watched or as i delve deeper into a single director, country or sub-genre. Having the plan always keeps me from going too far astray although I almost always don't get through everything I planned to watch. I'm sorry I didn't get around to rewatching/watching Coleman Francis, Ed Wood, Albert Pyun, Brett Piper and Ted Mikels for this challenge - but it will come around again!
I'm always the same way. I rarely end up getting to everything I planned to in a challenge for a variety of reasons. I always get sidetracked. With this one, I had planned to watch a lot more Altman plus do runs for Sidney Lumet, Clint Eastwood, Al Adamson, Kim Ki Duk and a lot of others. But there were several I added in during the challenge I hadn't planned to watch and several I ended up watching more from than I had intended, so oh well. I'll get around to them.
Speaking of Varda - have you seen the details on that Criterion release of her complete films - wowsa! That's going on my Christmas wish list for sure!

Oh yea, I'm really jazzed about that set, much more than I was about Bergman. I've got a lot of credit card rewards points saved up that it might be time to cash in... :think:

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 6th, 2020, 10:50 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 9:02 pm
flavo5000 wrote:

I'm always the same way. I rarely end up getting to everything I planned to in a challenge for a variety of reasons. I always get sidetracked. With this one, I had planned to watch a lot more Altman plus do runs for Sidney Lumet, Clint Eastwood, Al Adamson, Kim Ki Duk and a lot of others. But there were several I added in during the challenge I hadn't planned to watch and several I ended up watching more from than I had intended, so oh well. I'll get around to them.

Oh yea, I'm really jazzed about that set, much more than I was about Bergman. I've got a lot of credit card rewards points saved up that it might be time to cash in... :think:
Yeah, I save those credit card points too. Right now I'm thinking complete films of Agnes Varda or LEGO Ideas Doctor Who 21304 Building Kit. Both look amazing!

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » Yesterday, 2:44 am

August 6th, 2020, 10:50 pm
flavo5000 wrote:

Yeah, I save those credit card points too. Right now I'm thinking complete films of Agnes Varda or LEGO Ideas Doctor Who 21304 Building Kit. Both look amazing!
Oddly enough I just blew far too much money on the new LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » Yesterday, 4:59 am

flavo5000 wrote:
Yesterday, 2:44 am
Oddly enough I just blew far too much money on the new LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set.
That's a lovely one though. I I actually kinda wanted it too, but not for that kind of money :)

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » Yesterday, 5:15 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
Yesterday, 2:44 am
August 6th, 2020, 10:50 pm
flavo5000 wrote:

Awesome! I did not know about that. I'm not a huge videogame player but I still have all three systems I've owned including that one (the other two are the original Playstation and N64). It's great to pull one out every few years and get some fun retro action going. Thirty years ago I would get totally addicted to playing them to the point where I would forget to eat and literally dream up solutions to gaining new levels while sleeping. Now, i usually stop once my fingers get sore. :lol: