Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Future challenges

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Re: Future challenges

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » February 25th, 2020, 9:30 am

Sri Lanka in SE Asia is the incongruous one, at least for me. I don't really have strong feelings about Bhutan and Nepal remaining in Central Asia, even if my preference would be that they were paired with India.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 25th, 2020, 9:32 am

Not adding to the discussion, but just quoting myself so that this image remains on the latest page of the thread should others wish to look it over.
sol wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 9:14 am
This is our current breakdown of Asia in the Challenge schedule:

Don't really have strong objections or inclinations with shaking that up.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » February 25th, 2020, 9:39 am

If I would add something it would be Nepal which is an even more hinduistic country than India, so their culture is similar. No other asian countries even come close to those numbers these two have.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » February 25th, 2020, 9:45 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_subcontinent

Wouldn't it be eminently sensible and easier to tailor it as an Indian Subcontinent Challenge and include all the places blocho mentions (apart from Myanmar/Burma, which might sit better in SE Asia)? I think this article shows why they should be paired.

''In terms of modern geopolitical boundaries, the Indian subcontinent comprises the Republic of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, besides, by convention, the island nation of Sri Lanka and other islands of the Indian Ocean, such as the Maldives.''
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on February 25th, 2020, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » February 25th, 2020, 9:53 am

Putting Myanmar/Burma into SE Asia would make quite a lot of sense, I think.
That's all, folks!

albajos

Post by albajos » February 25th, 2020, 10:36 am

Is there any co-productions there? If India or any of these countries usually co-produce with each other, it will make sense to group them together.

After all, this is a movie challenge.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 25th, 2020, 10:48 am

For what it's worth for the upcoming poll in April South Asia is defined as Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » February 25th, 2020, 11:30 am

albajos wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 10:36 am
Is there any co-productions there? If India or any of these countries usually co-produce with each other, it will make sense to group them together.

After all, this is a movie challenge.
It's also a regional grouping. Some users held that it was beneficial to break the world up into regions for 2020/2021. I am positing that the Indian subcontinent as a region makes sense for a challenge, and that it also makes sense to place Myanmar/Burma in with SE Asia.

Co-productions aren't really in my thinking but I'd imagine that India, as the dominant regional producer of films, would have a hand in some productions.

Honestly, such a re-configuration seems rather straightforward to me.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 25th, 2020, 1:49 pm

For the record, I don't really mind either way how we divvy up these regions. :)

Indian Subcontinent seems more logical to me from a geographical perspective, but I'll go with whatever the consensus is.

It's a bit short notice, but we could run a snap poll.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 25th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Wow, I didn't mean to open up such a kettle of fish. I just thought we hadn't made any determinations on these countries. But sol says the map he posted was decided last fall when we discussed all the geographic challenges, so maybe let's just stick with that? We went through a lot of discussion back then, so no reason to do it again.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 25th, 2020, 5:08 pm

blocho wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:46 am
Who's going to take the India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh challenge next month?

Also, is there any reason not to include Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Maldives in that challenge? I can't remember if those countries were discussed when the geographic challenges were decided.
They all associate with the Indian subcontinent in my mind. All but Maldives (Islam) are mainly Buddhist, though, if that has any relevance.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » February 25th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Yeah I dont think either option is going to change anything to the viewings but culturally it does feel Sri Lanka rather belongs to the India group. And actually Myanmar would fit better with Laos/Thailand/…
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 26th, 2020, 3:59 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Yeah I dont think either option is going to change anything to the viewings but culturally it does feel Sri Lanka rather belongs to the India group. And actually Myanmar would fit better with Laos/Thailand/…
^this

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 27th, 2020, 1:57 am

After reading all the responses, I'm inclined to take blocho's suggestion as is - it seems to be the best grouping of countries to get at the region without completely changing everything. Also, it cleans up that map quite a bit. India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh + Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Maldives

Can we live with that?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 27th, 2020, 2:02 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:57 am
After reading all the responses, I'm inclined to take blocho's suggestion as is - it seems to be the best grouping of countries to get at the region without completely changing everything. Also, it cleans up that map quite a bit. India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh + Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Maldives

Can we live with that?
yes

though if I"m able to participate much I'll probably just do India.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » February 27th, 2020, 2:09 am

Out of those, Myanmar/Burma is the one country I would place in SE Asia rather than South Asia/Indian Subcontinent. It is more closely aligned to the SE Asian economy and is a member of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations).

Sol, peeps and hurluberlu seem to be in favour of my Indian Subcontinent idea, so I don't know whether it might be better to add Myanmar/Burma to the SE Asia challenge. I'm not that familiar with the country, but, apart from the British presence in the 19th Century, it does seem to have more links eastwards than it does westwards with the Indian sphere.

I won't labour the point though and can certainly live with what you propose.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 27th, 2020, 10:14 am

Are we going to rename the Challenge as "Indian Subcontinent" then? Searching Google for this constantly ties Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Nepal into the region. Not all maps feature Maldives, but I have found two that do.

None of the maps seem to have Myanmar as part of the subcontinent though. I could generate one if we want to go with the less descriptive "South Asia" name for the Challenge instead and include Myanmar in the mix.
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » February 27th, 2020, 11:06 am

Ok, this is an Indian challenge, but India has only existed since 1947. Before that it was British, so the 35 first years of their film history is another territory than we have now.

That's why I expanded to those I did back when.

Even if they were british they did make their own movies, the first was Raja Harishchandra (1913)

So the Indian territories after 1895 as this is film history

British India: India/Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma until 1947
India and Pakistan also split in 1947

So is this an India challenge it should only be those 4

If you want to make this a territory challenge, you can do whatever.

But we did vote for India as an option. And it is the biggest movie producer in the world, it is easily deserve it's own challenge.
"In 2018, India created over 1,800 feature films which is almost double the of number two China. Indian cinema also covers some of the largest ground, with nine different regions producing their own films in sixteen different languages, making it also one of the most diverse film industries in the world."

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 27th, 2020, 11:39 am

albajos wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 11:06 am
But we did vote for India as an option. And it is the biggest movie producer in the world, it is easily deserve it's own challenge.
This is an interesting point...

:unsure:

...though the last stand-alone Indian Challenge in 2017 had the lowest participation of any challenge since I first registered on the forum.
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » February 27th, 2020, 11:42 am

The Samurai challenge is the least popular of all time,you wouldn't expect that either.

But things change when people get out of their comfort zone and stop reading our "Bollywood movies suck" thread

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 27th, 2020, 1:14 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 2:09 am
Out of those, Myanmar/Burma is the one country I would place in SE Asia rather than South Asia/Indian Subcontinent. It is more closely aligned to the SE Asian economy and is a member of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations).

Sol, peeps and hurluberlu seem to be in favour of my Indian Subcontinent idea, so I don't know whether it might be better to add Myanmar/Burma to the SE Asia challenge. I'm not that familiar with the country, but, apart from the British presence in the 19th Century, it does seem to have more links eastwards than it does westwards with the Indian sphere.

I won't labour the point though and can certainly live with what you propose.
Though I voiced an opinion I likely will not be participating in this challenge, so my stance shouldn't necessarily be factored into the decision...

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » February 27th, 2020, 1:51 pm

albajos wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 11:06 am
Ok, this is an Indian challenge, but India has only existed since 1947. Before that it was British, so the 35 first years of their film history is another territory than we have now.

That's why I expanded to those I did back when.

Even if they were british they did make their own movies, the first was Raja Harishchandra (1913)

So the Indian territories after 1895 as this is film history

British India: India/Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma until 1947
India and Pakistan also split in 1947

So is this an India challenge it should only be those 4

If you want to make this a territory challenge, you can do whatever.

"In 2018, India created over 1,800 feature films which is almost double the of number two China. Indian cinema also covers some of the largest ground, with nine different regions producing their own films in sixteen different languages, making it also one of the most diverse film industries in the world."
Thanks for running through your thinking, albajos.

I just think, with the splitting up of the world into regions for these challenges, that the Indian subcontinent is the best and most fitting grouping.

Interesting to read your post. I don't dispute the history or the statistics that you cite at all. I just think we've moved largely past British colonialism and that the region's dynamics have perhaps shifted somewhat. I would be in favour of that being what informs any splitting-up of countries between the two challenges.
That's all, folks!

albajos

Post by albajos » February 27th, 2020, 4:48 pm

That's not the point. The thing is that movies made between 1913 and 1947 could be all these 4 countries. And there is no country code for British India on imdb, or else we would have to allow Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma movies before 1947 but not after, as they were made with "Indian" money. Or maybe the ones that have added pre-1947 movies from British India have called them all India. There's too many to check them all. This isn't about colonialism, it's about what countries are used by imdb for this territory in past and present. And throwing away 34 years of film history is not something I would take lightly for any country.

But that is if this is an India challenge. Again if you want to make this a territory challenge, do whatever.

And if you really want to open that can of worms, we better cut the solo challenges of Russia, Japan, France, China, Germany, Italy and Canada as well.

India is 17,7% of the world's popuation, 7th biggest country of the world in landmass. It is a territory of it's own

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » February 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm

albajos wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 4:48 pm
That's not the point. The thing is that movies made between 1913 and 1947 could be all these 4 countries. And there is no country code for British India on imdb, or else we would have to allow Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma movies before 1947 but not after, as they were made with "Indian" money. Or maybe the ones that have added pre-1947 movies from British India have called them all India. There's too many to check them all. This isn't about colonialism, it's about what countries are used by imdb for this territory in past and present. And throwing away 34 years of film history is not something I would take lightly for any country.

But that is if this is an India challenge. Again if you want to make this a territory challenge, do whatever.

And if you really want to open that can of worms, we better cut the solo challenges of Russia, Japan, France, China, Germany, Italy and Canada as well.

India is 17,7% of the world's popuation, 7th biggest country of the world in landmass. It is a territory of it's own
I've got your point, don't worry.
That's all, folks!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 27th, 2020, 6:48 pm

I don't think anyone is arguing that India is not worthy of its own challenge. The point is that the geographic challenge intends to cover the whole world over the course of two years. As such, tiny countries like Bhutan and the Maldives have to get throw in somewhere.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 29th, 2020, 12:18 am

PS: I'm moving Myanmar/Burma to the SE Asia challenge... thread is pending.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 22nd, 2020, 6:56 pm

Would anyone be interested in an unofficial ongoing challenge, "Conquer the World: TV Edition"? The goal would be to watch 1 TV series or mini-series from each country.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 26th, 2020, 1:43 pm

So, who has next month?

Given that I've hosted two challenges in a row, I'd be happy to let others have a chance. But if no one can be found, I could step in and do Nordic. Consider me a backup option. If anyone else wants to do Nordic, go for it.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 26th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I usually do Nordic, so can continue to do so

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 26th, 2020, 3:11 pm

I had previously volunteered to host the 1950s Challenge, but that was in pre-pandemic times in which:

a) I assumed that max would host the DTC Challenge with the same awesome bonus challenge that he run last yet
b) I didn't realise that I would be forced to go into work every day for the rest of the year in pandemic conditions

So, at the moment, I'm torn between:

a) volunteering to host the DTC - but that would only be so that the promote-movies bonus challenge could be run again
b) just sticking with the 1950s Challenge that I earlier volunteered for
c) allowing users who aren't driving into work every day to host both challenges

Maybe I'll wait and see how stressful tomorrow is at work in these pandemic times.
Image Image Image

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » March 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I can host either one, but I won't do any bonus challenges.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 10:16 pm

I can host DtC, w/ bonus if I can figure out what it is...

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 26th, 2020, 10:29 pm

I'm out on hosting next month - I'm struggling to keep up with Indian Subcontinent as is.

@funky: If you're good with Excel and/or GoogleSheets, I can set you up pretty easily.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 10:50 pm

good is a stretch, but I guess I'm functional...

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 27th, 2020, 11:16 am

I can take 1950s of no one else is able to... the latter half of April is up in the air for me, but at least the first couple of weeks should be fine

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 27th, 2020, 12:04 pm

I don't mind hosting the 1950s, but I don't know if it is wise to put my hand up for it. I should have a couple of weeks off in mid-April (unless they fiddle with the school holidays) but I have to keep going into work every day leading up to Good Friday and then from the final week of April onward, and I can't predict how stressful that might get, especially if everything else continues to shut down while the government keeps supporting their hard line that schools will always remain open...
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » March 27th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Well, none of the challenges are hard to host this time. DTC is all movies within one list. 50s is all from a decade, clearly defined. Nordic has only a few co-productions outside themselves, so no need to do much else than to tally the scores for thse three.

Starting bonus challenges with how the world is turning nobody expects.

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » March 27th, 2020, 1:07 pm

I can host the 50s challenge without any worries. I'm working from home for the foreseeable future and I don't think anything too unexpected will come up.

I don't want to do any bonus challenges because aggregating data for the stats already takes quite some time. :D

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 27th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Thanks shugs, if you are able to host the 50s. If you run into a hitch let me know and I can help or act as backup.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 27th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Thanks, guys. I can't help but feel lazy bowing out when I haven't even hosted a single challenge this year, but work has been so nuts lately and really draining. I definitely wouldn't be up to running a bonus challenge or doing anything stats related, so probably better to have shugs with his script-writing magic in there instead.
Image Image Image