Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

When will World Cup 4 begin?

Mario Gaborović

Re: When will World Cup 4 begin?

Post by Mario Gaborović » September 9th, 2019, 8:09 am

I don't think it's a good idea to lower the check limit since occasional voters, who don't participate in every match, are those who add to the final tally of votes. For example, if they realize like "hey I need to watch just one film to vote here", maybe they would watch the most obscure one as well. In the end, it is more difficult for those who struggle to keep up but they try (like Gershwin) since it's likely that they haven't seen many with <400 checks so far.

To cut it short: it would affect the number of participants heavily.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 9th, 2019, 8:42 am

Mario Gaborović wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:09 am
I don't think it's a good idea to lower the check limit since occasional voters, who don't participate in every match, are those who add to the final tally of votes. For example, if they realize like "hey I need to watch just one film to vote here", maybe they would watch the most obscure one as well. In the end, it is more difficult for those who struggle to keep up but they try (like Gershwin) since it's likely that they haven't seen many with <400 checks so far.

To cut it short: it would affect the number of participants heavily.
This is a good point, and one I'd tend to agree with. I like the points on the other side, but I can't deny that I'm WAY more likely to watch one film to vote than to watch two. And more likely to watch two than three. Etc.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 9th, 2019, 9:13 am

I don't think lowering the check limit to 400 will affect the participation level significantly. From season 3 only 19 out of 86 movies are currently above 400 checks. 67 are still above. From the first round only 6 out of 48 movies are currently above 400 checks.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » September 9th, 2019, 10:00 am

joachimt wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:13 am
I don't think lowering the check limit to 400 will affect the participation level significantly. From season 3 only 19 out of 86 movies are currently above 400 checks. 67 are still above. From the first round only 6 out of 48 movies are currently above 400 checks.
That's true, but remember that "having already seen some films" aspect caters many participants who can't keep up to gain time. It's more likely that they have seen a film from <1000 limit than the one from <400 limit, which grants them free time to do something else in life (or just watch other films, anyway).

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 12th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Would anyone be interested in a "genre cup"? Instead of 1 manager per country, we'd have 1 manager per genre (with no country-based restrictions).

The other rules would be the same as the world cup (<1000 checks, <180 minutes, 1 movie per director, no movies from past seasons).

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » September 13th, 2019, 2:54 am

I'm not too sure how that would work. There's too many films that bend genres, and too many people discriminatingly favor certain ones as well. For instance, if Horror vs Noir would come up, I'd almost be willing to bet I'd vote for Noir, unless it was really, really bad and the horror was really, really good.