Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Shorts (Results), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Saenghwalui balgyeon, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

When will World Cup 4 begin?

zzzorf

When will World Cup 4 begin?

Post by zzzorf » September 2nd, 2019, 5:54 am

Sorry for starting a new thread but I didn't know where else to ask this. What is the timeline on the next World Cup? I know you guys are having a break to replenish your batteries just wanted to get a feel for when the new season is kicking off.

Towards the tail end of last season I was starting to get really intrigued by the proceeding's and was ready to jump in but the hiatus was the decision at the time and while disappointed I understood its necessity. My problem is I can get a touch impatient and if I had a more fixed date to look forward to I will be more at ease.

Anyway if it is now or next year I look forward to the competition helping to broaden my cinematic horizons even further.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 2nd, 2019, 6:03 am

First you have to ask the question if there will be a next season. I'm guessing yes, because enough people enjoyed it, but it's not set in stone yet. If we do so, it'll probably start in 2020.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

beavis

Post by beavis » September 2nd, 2019, 7:53 am

of course it is a yes for me, when asked for a new season.

but I'm not against changing it up a bit, if that would make it either more attractive for those who would like to participate or a less prolongued affair in general. I know that their have been ideas in the past about doing some smaller offshoots, like a (comedy) genre only cup or a south-american cup. A smaller roster of countries could also be restricted to those who did well in the past cups... a lot of variations are possible

as soon als talks like these take off, you can be sure that a date will be set before you know it!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 2nd, 2019, 12:04 pm

beavis wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:53 am
as soon als talks like these take off, you can be sure that a date will be set before you know it!
I'm fine with the talks taking off here. Anyone interested, start discussing!
I don't mind hosting again, in whatever form it will be decided.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm

I ended up jumping in at the end of the last one, which was pretty fun - I'd be interested in another.

But the thing which always prevented me from diving in earlier is the commitment - even if I have a whole month, watching 4 movies just seems like a huge ask. It's totally a mental block, but 2 movies in 2 weeks is WAY easier for me to get my head around than 4 movies in 4 weeks. So I guess my suggestion is to have smaller groups so voting doesn't seem so hard.

Ritesh

Post by Ritesh » September 2nd, 2019, 5:40 pm

enjoyed last season...would love to play again

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 2nd, 2019, 5:45 pm

beavis wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:53 am
I know that their have been ideas in the past about doing some smaller offshoots, like a (comedy) genre only cup or a south-american cup. A smaller roster of countries could also be restricted to those who did well in the past cups... a lot of variations are possible
I would interested in a comedy world cup, or a TV world cup.

I feel like comedy has been mostly ignored in the world cup, so a comedy world cup would be a nice change.

It seems like most of us only watch TV from US/UK/Japan, so a TV world cup would help people expand their horizons.
I think most people won't be willing to watch an entire series, so maybe we can just nominate the first episode.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 2nd, 2019, 5:49 pm

joachimt wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 12:04 pm
I don't mind hosting again, in whatever form it will be decided.
Scratch that. I won't host if it's going to be a TV WC. I never watch TV. I watch movies.
ICM-profile

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » September 2nd, 2019, 6:08 pm

mjf314 wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 5:45 pm
a TV world cup.
So the miniseries you sneaked in last WC wasn’t enough, eh?

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » September 2nd, 2019, 6:11 pm

A full tournament with only comedies? No thanks! I wouldn’t mind having a different genre for each round though.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » September 2nd, 2019, 6:12 pm

Sure.

Seems to be a great discrepancy between people who manage to keep up and those who don't - just look at the numbers up and down the scale. What's the optimal total number of films is just beyond me, but I think that's main question here.

50, 60, or 80? (deciding about # of countries and which ones should follow up from there)
72allinncallme wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 6:11 pm
A full tournament with only comedies? No thanks! I wouldn’t mind having a different genre for each round though.
I second that.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » September 2nd, 2019, 6:30 pm

I have zero interest in TV and limited interest for a genre WC but I am up for a World Cup of all features again, only with a few adjustments:

- less countries: last edition felt overlong to me and, unfortunately, some countries are fun to have but really have too little of a potential (I would suggest 32 vs 48, with 10 days per match we would be done in less than a year).
- a lower limit of checks (like 400 vs 1000) to ensure noms are not disadvantaged with each other. And why not reducing that limit every round to spice up the competition (eg 16th <400... final <50) ?
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 2nd, 2019, 6:44 pm

joachimt wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 5:49 pm
I never watch TV. I watch movies.
If you never watch TV, then how do you have 21 checks on this list?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... r=joachimt

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » September 2nd, 2019, 6:44 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 6:30 pm
but I am up for a World Cup of all features again, only with a few adjustments:

- less countries: last edition felt overlong to me and, unfortunately, some countries are fun to have but really have too little of a potential (I would suggest 32 vs 48, with 10 days per match we would be done in less than a year).
- a lower limit of checks (like 400 vs 1000) to ensure noms are not disadvantaged with each other. And why not reducing that limit every round to spice up the competition (eg 16th <400... final <50) ?
+1

And I think we should have a one country per manager rule. That will automaticly shorten the tournament.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 2nd, 2019, 7:00 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 6:44 pm
And I think we should have a one country per manager rule. That will automaticly shorten the tournament.
If we want to have 2 or 3 or 4 films per match, then the number of countries must have only small factors, e.g. 32, 36, 48 (assuming that all matches in the same round must have the same number of films).

If we follow your suggestion, and 41 people want to be managers, then the last 5 people will have to be excluded.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 2nd, 2019, 7:01 pm

mjf314 wrote:
joachimt wrote:
On the computer, not on TV :lol:
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 2nd, 2019, 7:24 pm

Armoreska wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:01 pm
mjf314 wrote:
joachimt wrote:
I watched some on TV in the 90's and bought most of them on DVD later and rewatched them. Others never seen on TV, only on DVD. Almost all of them pretty long ago.
ICM-profile

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » September 2nd, 2019, 7:31 pm

I wouldn't participate if it was a TV world cup.

I agree about shortening the tournament. I'd prefer straight knockout (2 movies per match) and fewer countries overall.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 2nd, 2019, 7:31 pm

joachimt wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:24 pm
Armoreska wrote:
mjf314 wrote:

I watched some on TV in the 90's and bought most of them on DVD later and rewatched them. Others never seen on TV, only on DVD. Almost all of them pretty long ago.
What made you decide to stop watching TV? Did you not like the TV series that you watched?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 2nd, 2019, 7:55 pm

mjf314 wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:31 pm
joachimt wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:24 pm
Armoreska wrote:

What made you decide to stop watching TV? Did you not like the TV series that you watched?
I started watching movies.
ICM-profile

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » September 2nd, 2019, 7:56 pm

jvv wrote:
I agree about shortening the tournament. I'd prefer straight knockout (2 movies per match) and fewer countries overall.
Round of 32, Round of 16, QF, SF, F... 5 movies and that's seems fine to me.

Edit: Or 36 countries in a 12x3, and then 4x3 format? That's even quicker I believe.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 2nd, 2019, 8:06 pm

Mario Gaborović wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:56 pm
jvv wrote:

Edit: Or 36 countries in a 12x3, and then 4x3 format? That's even quicker I believe.
That would be 62 movies. With the pace of the 2 movie matchups in S3, that would be 310 days, so roughly four months shorter than S3.

I think I'd be mostly interested in just another cup, but indeed a bit shorter and maybe some changes in rules like hurluberlu described.

EDIT: My reply was on your original post, not your edit.
ICM-profile

beavis

Post by beavis » September 2nd, 2019, 8:17 pm

Mario Gaborović wrote:
jvv wrote:
Yeah, that would work to make it seem more doable for those who have been on the fence and focal about the daunting enormity commiting to a cup can feel like. As others here have suggested, with more players and less countries, maybe not everybody can get to also manage a country. Picking a movie to represent a country is fun (and it gives you one less movie on your watchlist ;)), even if i wouldn't go beyond the first round, it's still something i'd very much like to get to do. Maybe allowing for co-managers is a way to tackle this?

...and/or maybe having a certain treshhold set of amount of eligable movies you've seen for a certain country before you are alowed to claim it for the cup... Although that might be more of a solution to a different percieved problem.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 2nd, 2019, 10:20 pm

I agree with fewer movies per match. Preferably just two.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 2nd, 2019, 10:45 pm

mjf314 wrote:
joachimt wrote:
and 19 on this list!!! :o
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/imdb ... r=joachimt

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 2nd, 2019, 10:50 pm

joachimt wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 8:06 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote:
jvv wrote:

That would be 62 movies. With the pace of the 2 movie matchups in S3, that would be 310 days, so roughly four months shorter than S3.

I think I'd be mostly interested in just another cup, but indeed a bit shorter and maybe some changes in rules like hurluberlu described.

EDIT: My reply was on your original post, not your edit.
as a curious bystander, may I ask a question?

Do people select one movie per country for the entirety of the WC?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 2nd, 2019, 11:50 pm

xianjiro wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:50 pm
If you win a match, then you have to pick a different film for the next round.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » September 3rd, 2019, 12:01 am

I'm ready for another go! As for format, I'm not too concerned, time isn't really an issue for me, I'll squeeze them in whenever, and I have plenty of free time; I'm just interested in seeing more movies. I'll let others who are more worried about it decide that. I'd rather not have a genre specific, and definitely not interested in a "TV cup."

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 3rd, 2019, 12:13 am

mjf314 wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 11:50 pm
xianjiro wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:50 pm
If you win a match, then you have to pick a different film for the next round.
Okay, then I'll throw out a suggestion: couldn't that different film have a genre variable (like comedy)? I'm guessing people don't release their projected slate of films, but I don't see why there couldn't be some genre variation built into it to spice things up a bit - if that's what people are interested in.

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 3rd, 2019, 6:46 am

xianjiro wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:45 pm
mjf314 wrote:
joachimt wrote:
and 19 on this list!!! :o
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/imdb ... r=joachimt
Those are almost all of them the same checks, so same answer as above.
ICM-profile

beavis

Post by beavis » September 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am

xianjiro wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 12:13 am
Okay, then I'll throw out a suggestion: couldn't that different film have a genre variable (like comedy)? I'm guessing people don't release their projected slate of films, but I don't see why there couldn't be some genre variation built into it to spice things up a bit - if that's what people are interested in.
We've had a few cups now and statistically it seems as a manager you've got most chance to win a round when picking a black-and-white drama from the 1960's, perferably ww2 themed. (I think :)). This can feel a bit 'heavy all the time' for players ánd it makes managers reluctant to pick something lighter. I think that is the main reason why some suggestions around genre or comedy have been made it the past. Also I think it's just fun to mix-up the criteria a bit.

And having an entire cup centered around only one genre can again feel a bit one-note, so switching these criteria per round, as suggested, is a good idea. When going more towards the final it could cause problems with regards to fairness though. Let's say it's Japan vs Spain and the chosen genre is martial arts... so maybe there should be a pool of genre's and a vote each time amongst all players or all managers on which one to go for.

beavis

Post by beavis » September 3rd, 2019, 10:45 am

hurluberlu wrote:
This is an interesting point. One of the goals of the World Cup is to discover hidden gems so a check-limit-treshhold was a sensible thing to have. But I do also feel there have been some complaints from people about not having discovered enough "good movies" during the cup. When movies are too unknown they can feel like a chore for some, because what is there to exite you about the movie besides the fact that one of us has picked it? So my initial thoughts on possible adjustments to make a world cup more exiting again was rather to have a higher limit on checks.... but I would agree that would be disadvantageous for the so called smaller countries… We could start lower and make it higher each round? (sounds like a fun option to me, would increase competition as rounds progress a fair amount I feel, and finish it off with no check-limit in the final!)

(this might however give rise to the problem of people who have seen a lot of movies having seen most if not all of the nominated movies in those later rounds already…)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » September 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

beavis wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:45 am
hurluberlu wrote:
This is an interesting point. One of the goals of the World Cup is to discover hidden gems so a check-limit-treshhold was a sensible thing to have. But I do also feel there have been some complaints from people about not having discovered enough "good movies" during the cup. When movies are too unknown they can feel like a chore for some, because what is there to exite you about the movie besides the fact that one of us has picked it? So my initial thoughts on possible adjustments to make a world cup more exiting again was rather to have a higher limit on checks.... but I would agree that would be disadvantageous for the so called smaller countries… We could start lower and make it higher each round? (sounds like a fun option to me, would increase competition as rounds progress a fair amount I feel, and finish it off with no check-limit in the final!)

(this might however give rise to the problem of people who have seen a lot of movies having seen most if not all of the nominated movies in those later rounds already…)
I was also tired by the low ratio of films I really liked at the end of S3 but I think it can be tackled with making the overall competition shorter rather than expanding the base of films.

For the max checks, I am rather proposing to start from 400 and reduce it gradually up to the finale. So contenders can start easy if they want but later in the game manager will have to show off their skills to make it through. If you do it the other way around, the number of low check films to go through might pull off a lot of the viewers and the final might be uninteresting with fairly known films.

WRT genres, we could maybe start with something generic like Comedy for first round but then open to any genre next rounds otherwise it could really be too demanding for some countries (Switzerland War, Viet-Nam Sci-FI, HK Western,... :rolleyes: )
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » September 4th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Regarding format changes, I'd love the idea of taking over points to the second round just like in handball/basketball tournaments.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 4th, 2019, 10:14 pm

beavis wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am
xianjiro wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 12:13 am
We've had a few cups now and statistically it seems as a manager you've got most chance to win a round when picking a black-and-white drama from the 1960's, perferably ww2 themed. (I think :)). This can feel a bit 'heavy all the time' for players ánd it makes managers reluctant to pick something lighter. I think that is the main reason why some suggestions around genre or comedy have been made it the past. Also I think it's just fun to mix-up the criteria a bit.

And having an entire cup centered around only one genre can again feel a bit one-note, so switching these criteria per round, as suggested, is a good idea. When going more towards the final it could cause problems with regards to fairness though. Let's say it's Japan vs Spain and the chosen genre is martial arts... so maybe there should be a pool of genre's and a vote each time amongst all players or all managers on which one to go for.
How about limit to 21st century?

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » September 5th, 2019, 8:24 am

brokenface wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 10:14 pm
Excellent idea. :thumbsup:

beavis

Post by beavis » September 5th, 2019, 8:46 am

jvv wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 8:24 am
brokenface wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 10:14 pm
Excellent idea. :thumbsup:
indeed, would level the playingfield also in favor of 'smaller' countries!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 5th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Would it be an idea to put all the ideas in a poll? Everyone had the time to post their ideas by now, so I think it's time to poll some decisions.

However, I don't have the time and energy right now to collect the ideas and create good poll questions from that. Is someone willing to do that?

I don't really mind what comes out of it exactly. I will host anyway if you guys want me to.
ICM-profile

beavis

Post by beavis » September 6th, 2019, 12:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4520&view=unread#unread

I created a poll, it's my first one, I hope it is something like you had in mind...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » September 6th, 2019, 4:04 pm

beavis wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 12:20 pm
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4520&view=unread#unread

I created a poll, it's my first one, I hope it is something like you had in mind...

sol can find me here