Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

World Cup, Season 3, Match Final: Japan vs USA (Apr 14th)

Mario Gaborović

Re: World Cup, Season 3, Match Final: Japan vs USA (Apr 14th)

Post by Mario Gaborović » April 5th, 2019, 10:37 am

blocho wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 3:49 am
Does anyone keep a breakdown of stats from all three seasons of world cup? I'm talking about records for each country, decade, runtime, directors, or any other categories. If not, I might try to put something together.
I have all the countries' & directors' performances so far, .xls which I keep on my mediafire account. I didn't plan to release it any time soon but if you want me to, I could.

It's basically a "all-time table". The lesser data (decade performances, participation records, etc) could easily be amounted as well, if you want.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 5th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Mario Gaborović wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 10:37 am
blocho wrote:
Does anyone keep a breakdown of stats from all three seasons of world cup? I'm talking about records for each country, decade, runtime, directors, or any other categories. If not, I might try to put something together.
I have all the countries' & directors' performances so far, .xls which I keep on my mediafire account. I didn't plan to release it any time soon but if you want me to, I could.

It's basically a "all-time table". The lesser data (decade performances, participation records, etc) could easily be amounted as well, if you want.
That would be great.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » April 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm

blocho wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 10:37 am
blocho wrote:

That would be great.
Ok then after this cup is over I'll release all the stats.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 5th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Seen both already

1. Attack
2. Nobi

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda » April 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm

1. Attack (USA) - 4/10
2. Nobi (Japan) - 4/10

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » April 5th, 2019, 11:03 pm

1. Nobi
2. Attack

monty

Post by monty » April 6th, 2019, 12:54 am

pitchorneirda wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm
1. Attack (USA) - 4/10
2. Nobi (Japan) - 4/10
Interesting scores - would you care to elaborate, please?

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda » April 6th, 2019, 1:13 pm

monty wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 12:54 am
pitchorneirda wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm
1. Attack (USA) - 4/10
2. Nobi (Japan) - 4/10
Interesting scores - would you care to elaborate, please?
For Attack, I think the characters (especially Capt. Cooney and maybe Lt. Costa to a lesser extent) are poorly written. The situations are very realistic but the dialogues and actions within these situations are often mediocre and off-putting (to me).

As for Nobi, the lead performance from Eiji Funakoshi is kind of bland, which makes it hard for me to be empathetic with the characters. I also found the narrative (almost non-narrative, in this case) structure confusing. And what is disappointing from Ichikawa is how the movie stayed very down to earth all along, except for one only scene that I really liked when Tamura encounters a man sitting at the foot of a tree, looking at the sun and telling him "The earth is revolving, you see. That is why the sun sinks, sonny boy"

I didn't dislike either of the stories but I'm not very fond of action-driven films which don't develop the full complexity of their characters.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » April 6th, 2019, 2:59 pm

1. Attack (USA) - 8/10
2. Nobi (Japan) - 7.5/10

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 6th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Image Nobi: 13
Image Attack: 6
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

edward5

Post by edward5 » April 6th, 2019, 4:31 pm

1. 野火 Nobi. 8/10.
2. Attack! 6.5/10.

Smoover

Post by Smoover » April 7th, 2019, 2:55 pm

1. Nobi 7.5/10
2. Attack 7/10

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » April 7th, 2019, 7:22 pm

1. Attack
2. Nobi

Great match, great WC!

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 7th, 2019, 9:26 pm

1. Nobi (1959) 8/10
2. Attack (1956) 6/10

A great match to end this worldcup on.

klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 » April 8th, 2019, 3:56 am

1. Nobi (Japan) 8/10
2. Attack (USA) 7/10

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 8th, 2019, 6:40 am

The match is not great. Japan's too OP here. But the movies are.

i voted for Japan in each match
Sanbiki no Samurai 9+ - the best watch from world cups - won an epic battle
Buta To Gunkan 7- - another epic battle
Kawaita hana 7-
Chiyari Fuji 7+ - another epic battle with an extension
USA: 1st,3rd,1st,1st,2nd

Nobi 9
Attack 8-
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » April 12th, 2019, 5:04 am

Just as I expected,

1. Nobi - 9/10
2. Attack - 7/10

Attack was good but not good enough to beat one of my all time favorites.

Renegade

Post by Renegade » April 12th, 2019, 5:36 am

1. Nobi
2. Attack

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » April 12th, 2019, 10:43 am

Image Nobi: 20
Image Attack: 8

3 days left. And the whole tournament is over.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 12th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Congrats to Monty and Japan.
Pity about the pitiful amount of votes so far. Didn't we have 45 in the beginning where you had to watch FOUR to vote including some tough to watch movies. Kinda expected the interest to rise towards the finale.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Interest always drops during the tournament.

This is the votecount for this season:

The relatively high amoung of voters in SFB is of course caused by the extension.
ICM-profile

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 12th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Close call to me and I might even be tempted to give Attack a sympathy #1 vote to even the score a bit more, if I believed in doing those kind of things. Congrats on both managers for picking films making my all-time favorites list.

1. Nobi (1959): 8.2 - This suffered from too high expectations for me,it wasn't the masterpiece I expected it to. Still a very good movie that slowly creeps up on.
2. Attack (1956); 8.2 - I read somebody describe Aldrich as the A-list Samuel Fuller and indeed both in the way it treats its subject matter and the directing, the cult edgy feel in its framing and compositions of shots, it felt that way to me. I do not get a the kudos Palance is getting, I found him to be overacting, especially near the end.
What's most interesting about this of course is that it is an American WWII movie made only a decade after the war that's critical of army command, while not of the war an sich. The anti-command sentiment has been shown before in other older war movies, but those are (almost) all about WWI. A war in which, due it's tremendous losses, the disregard for human life by the higher ups is generally criticized in and outside fiction. Also because of the particular horrific nature of that war (I don't mean to say other wars aren't horrific), that anti-command sentiment is (almost) always combined with a general anti-war messages about the war in itself being good for nothing. WWII of course is a war that has been displayed very different especially by the USA; patriotic, heroic, uncritical, a worthwhile war. (Probably still the most worthwhile war in most peoples eyes. Honestly is there really any American movie that's anti WWII and not in a general antiwar way?). This movie successfully walks the tightrope of being critical of commanding officers while still being supportive of the war itself and the "normal" soldiers fighting it. It has a nuanced view on how downsides of human nature, incompetence and corruption, can endanger human lives in a war.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on April 12th, 2019, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 12th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 1:34 pm
WWI of course is a war that has been displayed very different especially by the USA; patriotic, heroic, uncritical, a worthwhile war. (Probably still the most worthwhile war in most peoples eyes. Honestly is there really any American movie that's anti WWII and not in a general antiwar way?).
I assume you meant World War II in the first sentence. But overall, a really interesting question. I can think of a movie like The Victors, but you're right that it's generally anti-war and not specifically against World War II. But, then again, don't the vast majority of anti-war movies (if there is such a thing as an anti-war movie) follow this line? They usually criticize the brutality and horror of war in general rather than the political particularities of any single conflict. Vietnam generated more anti-war movies than any other American conflict (although still not enough), but when I think of those movies I feel like they usually did not make a statement about the political situation in Vietnam that led to war. Mostly, they focused on the suffering caused by war. If anything, pro-war movies are usually more politically oriented.

Incidentally, anti-war movies particularly interest me because I wrote a paper on the topic in grad school.

Also incidentally, I think World War II was the only war in American history that was actually worth fighting. Maybe the Civil War. For one side.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 12th, 2019, 3:37 pm

blocho wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 3:03 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 1:34 pm
WWI of course is a war that has been displayed very different especially by the USA; patriotic, heroic, uncritical, a worthwhile war. (Probably still the most worthwhile war in most peoples eyes. Honestly is there really any American movie that's anti WWII and not in a general antiwar way?).
I assume you meant World War II in the first sentence. But overall, a really interesting question. I can think of a movie like The Victors, but you're right that it's generally anti-war and not specifically against World War II. But, then again, don't the vast majority of anti-war movies (if there is such a thing as an anti-war movie) follow this line? They usually criticize the brutality and horror of war in general rather than the political particularities of any single conflict. Vietnam generated more anti-war movies than any other American conflict (although still not enough), but when I think of those movies I feel like they usually did not make a statement about the political situation in Vietnam that led to war. Mostly, they focused on the suffering caused by war. If anything, pro-war movies are usually more politically oriented.

Incidentally, anti-war movies particularly interest me because I wrote a paper on the topic in grad school.

Also incidentally, I think World War II was the only war in American history that was actually worth fighting. Maybe the Civil War. For one side.
Yeah, I meant WWII.

I disagree with you. I think for other wars, especially WWI and Vietnam, anti-war movies criticize the political particularities of that single conflict, most times combined with a criticism of the brutality and horror of war in general. I think most Vietnam (anti)war movies do make a clear political statement against the war.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 12th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 3:37 pm

I disagree with you. I think for other wars, especially WWI and Vietnam, anti-war movies criticize the political particularities of that single conflict, most times combined with a criticism of the brutality and horror of war in general. I think most Vietnam (anti)war movies do make a clear political statement against the war.
I guess it comes down to what we mean by "political." I think I can remember some sentiments in Vietnam War movies that seem to cast doubt on the necessity of American intervention in a foreign war and on whether American troops are actually helping the Vietnamese. To me, those attack the politics of the war and are specifically anti-Vietnam ideas. Would you agree with that? And can you give some examples for WWI movies?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 12th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Thanks, I enjoyed both films!

1. Nobi
2. Attack

Jack Palance in Attack reminded me of The Terminator or something the way he kept showing up.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 12th, 2019, 8:44 pm

blocho wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:

I guess it comes down to what we mean by "political." I think I can remember some sentiments in Vietnam War movies that seem to cast doubt on the necessity of American intervention in a foreign war and on whether American troops are actually helping the Vietnamese. To me, those attack the politics of the war and are specifically anti-Vietnam ideas. Would you agree with that? And can you give some examples for WWI movies?
WWI - Paths of Glory, Johnny Got His Gun
WWII - Catch-22, Slaughterhouse-Five

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 12th, 2019, 9:21 pm

weirdboy wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 8:44 pm
blocho wrote:
Lonewolf2003 wrote:

WWI - Paths of Glory, Johnny Got His Gun
WWII - Catch-22, Slaughterhouse-Five
As an aside, I feel like Clooney is gonna totally fuck up his new Catch-22 adaptation. I really enjoy him as an actor, but I think his directorial resume is brutal. I haven't seen Suburbicon, but I would characterize Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Good Night and Good Luck, Leatherheads, The Ides of March, and The Monuments Men as all bad movies. For me, he's 0-5.

Anyway, regarding weirdboy's list of movies above, it's been too long since I've seen any of them to offer a reaction.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 13th, 2019, 2:41 pm

blocho wrote:
Lonewolf2003 wrote:

Yes I would agree with you that movies that at the least cast doubt about the rightfulness of American involvement in the Vietnam war are anti Vietnam War movies. I call that political.
For WWI there are films like Paths of Glory, All Quiet on the Western Front, Le Roi de cœur and Johnny Got His Gun that point out the particular futility of that war, but those are less overt political than the Vietnam ones in my mind. I can't think of any now that deal directly with the political reasons behind it.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » April 13th, 2019, 10:48 pm

1. Nobi
2. Attack

Excellent final with two strong films. I had seen neither before. Nobi is likely one of the best films I watched in all world cup seasons, so this is no slight on Attack, when I place it just second behind Nobi.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » April 14th, 2019, 4:39 pm

1. Attack
2. Nobi

tarr

Post by tarr » April 14th, 2019, 5:28 pm

1. Nobi
2. Attack

It was a pleasure being part of this WC. I discovered some real gems.

cayado-coro

Post by cayado-coro » April 14th, 2019, 6:21 pm

1.Attack (USA)
2.Nobi (Japan)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 14th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Image Nobi: 24
Image Attack: 10

14.5 hours left
ICM-profile

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » April 14th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Gosh, I have not voted yet!

1. Attack
2. Nobi

Not particularly fond of manager's choices this time.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 15th, 2019, 9:22 am

Not sure how I feel about these two. Wasn't really in the mood to see serious war dramas, but didn't want to miss the final. Was up late to finish, though.

Nobi was overhyped for me, and it underwhelmed. I was expecting something much more, though I'm not quite certain what I was expecting. Attack was surprisingly good and well-paced, even if some of the characters irritated me,

In reading other reviews, I feel like I've seen different films than some others. I liked Palance's character in Attack, and didn't think he overacted at all. Some of the other characters seemed like caricatures, though, and I still can't believe some of their carelessness in the film when depicting war-hardened soldiers. I'm on the fence about Eddie Albert, but the fact that he was a real-life war hero playing a coward here is really interesting. For Nobi, I don't get how the lead character is presented as righteous and with a strong conscience. Early on in the film he lies about his rations, shoots an innocent person, and acts erratically (which may be from the TB), so much so that I never built up any real sympathy for him, so didn't care too much what he had to go through. I also didn't understand why salt was so important (my fault, not the film's). Definitely some haunting images, though, that speak to the message the film is trying to say.

Both films are in the 7.5 range for me, and would probably benefit from a rewatch in a decade or so. But for now...

1. Attack
2. Nobi

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » April 15th, 2019, 9:42 am

1. Nobi
2. Attack

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 15th, 2019, 10:03 am

And that's it. The final deadline is over.

The winner of the 3rd season of the world cup is........ JAPAN!!

Final scores:
Image Nobi: 25
Image Attack: 12

Congratulations to monty!
Also thanks to filmbantha for playing and to the 37 people who voted this match.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 15th, 2019, 10:05 am

Final votecount:

ICM-profile