Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

World Cup, Season 3, Match SF-A: Greece vs USA (Mar 10th)

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31727
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: World Cup, Season 3, Match SF-A: Greece vs USA (Mar 10th)

#41

Post by joachimt » March 9th, 2019, 8:58 am

Four votes in a row for Greece. Too late for a return? Probably.

Image Oi voskoi: 7
Image The Pawnbroker: 17
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2164
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#42

Post by Angel Glez » March 9th, 2019, 9:26 am

1. Oi voskoi
2. The Pawnbroker

Because I vastly prefer the other Lumet of 1964.

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3214
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#43

Post by blocho » March 9th, 2019, 11:16 pm

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 24711
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#44

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 10th, 2019, 6:05 am

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

But it was quite close, Oi Voskoi was a really good choice for Greece.

User avatar
tarr
Posts: 682
Joined: Dec 20, 2015
Contact:

#45

Post by tarr » March 10th, 2019, 9:31 am

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4013
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#46

Post by Fergenaprido » March 10th, 2019, 3:07 pm

1. The Pawnbroker - 7.8
2. Oi voskoi [Thanos and Despina] [Shepherds of Calamity] - 6.4

I watched the Greek film four years ago after someone one the forum promoted it (I forget who and why), but I didn't really care for it. After watching The Pawnbroker, I'm confident that a rewatch wouldn't change anything either. Greece has been very hit-or-miss for me in the World Cup (maybe I'll post stats about that at the end).

I like what Lonewolf wrote on Criticker: "Very strong character study about a Holocaust survivor. I haven't seen many ones in which the survivor is such a bitter but also tragic man. Therefor making him a very human character. The way his character is given depth and history by using small and longer cuts to flashbacks deserves all the praise its getting. It really shows how memory works, giving little quick flashes by associations. Rod Steiger is phenomenal." That pretty much sums it up for me. Other characters/actors are weaker, but Steiger is solid in this, and the cinematography/editing is probably my favourite aspect of the film.

I'm surprised that people, 15 years after the the war ended, didn't know what the concentration camp tattoos were. I guess Holocaust information is so widespread nowadays, but it still seems shocking to me. I also thought the employee would have known a bit more about his boss's history (especially given his "you people" comment - which, by the way, had the best response I've ever heard; great moment). And I was surprised to hear that this was the first (major) film to show a Holocaust victim from their perspective. Given how ubiquitous WWII and Shoah films are in the last 30-40 years, it's odd think they were much more reticent at showing this onscreen earlier (though perhaps I shouldn't be surprised).

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8888
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#47

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 10th, 2019, 3:37 pm

:) Nice to see people read and liked my review on Criticker.
I didn't know this was the first (major) film to show a Holocaust victim from their perspective either. Things indeed have changed since then.
The Greek was a FotW long ago

User avatar
Mate_cosido
Posts: 707
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
Contact:

#48

Post by Mate_cosido » March 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

if i'd known this was already decided i probably wouldn't have participated, but the US film was good

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31727
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#49

Post by joachimt » March 10th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Yeah, the difference is pretty clear. 30 votes. Even if the rest of the voters will vote Greece, the gap is still very big.

Image Oi voskoi: 8
Image The Pawnbroker: 22
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4013
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#50

Post by Fergenaprido » March 10th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 3:37 pm
:) Nice to see people read and liked my review on Criticker.
I didn't know this was the first (major) film to show a Holocaust victim from their perspective either. Things indeed have changed since then.
The Greek was a FotW long ago
I have you as one of my Kumpels (along with a number of other forum peeps) so I see them whenever view a film. :)

I ready that somewhere about being the first film, but now I can't remember where it was (even though it was only a week ago).

User avatar
pitchorneirda
Posts: 98
Joined: Feb 11, 2019
Contact:

#51

Post by pitchorneirda » March 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 3:07 pm
1. The Pawnbroker - 7.8
2. Oi voskoi [Thanos and Despina] [Shepherds of Calamity] - 6.4

I watched the Greek film four years ago after someone one the forum promoted it (I forget who and why), but I didn't really care for it. After watching The Pawnbroker, I'm confident that a rewatch wouldn't change anything either. Greece has been very hit-or-miss for me in the World Cup (maybe I'll post stats about that at the end).

I like what Lonewolf wrote on Criticker: "Very strong character study about a Holocaust survivor. I haven't seen many ones in which the survivor is such a bitter but also tragic man. Therefor making him a very human character. The way his character is given depth and history by using small and longer cuts to flashbacks deserves all the praise its getting. It really shows how memory works, giving little quick flashes by associations. Rod Steiger is phenomenal." That pretty much sums it up for me. Other characters/actors are weaker, but Steiger is solid in this, and the cinematography/editing is probably my favourite aspect of the film.

I'm surprised that people, 15 years after the the war ended, didn't know what the concentration camp tattoos were. I guess Holocaust information is so widespread nowadays, but it still seems shocking to me. I also thought the employee would have known a bit more about his boss's history (especially given his "you people" comment - which, by the way, had the best response I've ever heard; great moment). And I was surprised to hear that this was the first (major) film to show a Holocaust victim from their perspective. Given how ubiquitous WWII and Shoah films are in the last 30-40 years, it's odd think they were much more reticent at showing this onscreen earlier (though perhaps I shouldn't be surprised).
To have the explanation why information about the Holocaust was not widespread at all before the mid sixties, I advise you to read Peter Novick's book "The Holocaust in American Life", you'll have all the history of the publicity of the atrocities from 1945 to 2000

User avatar
metaller
Donator
Posts: 2856
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
Contact:

#52

Post by metaller » March 10th, 2019, 10:58 pm

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

The Pawnbroker was just the kind of bleak filmmaking I "like" from the 60s.
As is Oi Voskoi. I had seen this when it was promoted or part of a challenge here (I think it was FotW), gave it a rewwatch, but somehow liked it a bit better back then.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8888
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#53

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 11th, 2019, 12:19 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 3:37 pm
:) Nice to see people read and liked my review on Criticker.
I didn't know this was the first (major) film to show a Holocaust victim from their perspective either. Things indeed have changed since then.
The Greek was a FotW long ago
I have you as one of my Kumpels (along with a number of other forum peeps) so I see them whenever view a film. :)

I ready that somewhere about being the first film, but now I can't remember where it was (even though it was only a week ago).
I have you too. I also read reviews by my Kumpels too when rating a movie. I like Peacefull's reviews a lot always.

edward5
Posts: 301
Joined: Aug 03, 2013
Contact:

#54

Post by edward5 » March 11th, 2019, 2:41 am

1. The Pawnbroker. 6.5/10
2. Oi Voskoi. 6/10

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4013
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#55

Post by Fergenaprido » March 11th, 2019, 4:14 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 12:19 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 3:37 pm
:) Nice to see people read and liked my review on Criticker.
I didn't know this was the first (major) film to show a Holocaust victim from their perspective either. Things indeed have changed since then.
The Greek was a FotW long ago
I have you as one of my Kumpels (along with a number of other forum peeps) so I see them whenever view a film. :)

I ready that somewhere about being the first film, but now I can't remember where it was (even though it was only a week ago).
I have you too. I also read reviews by my Kumpels too when rating a movie. I like Peacefull's reviews a lot always.
I think you, Peaceful, and PUNQ are the ones who write the most reviews of my Kumpels. I would, but I find that my words falter when I try to explain a rating for a film, so I just don't bother, (though I do occasionally write a review on letterboxd, but it's usually more about the circumstances of seeing the film, or the incidental memories it evokes, than about the actual film itself).

Renegade
Posts: 97
Joined: May 17, 2016
Contact:

#56

Post by Renegade » March 11th, 2019, 7:02 am

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10833
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#57

Post by funkybusiness » March 11th, 2019, 7:50 am

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

despite a 30-odd vote lead, it's pretty close between the two films for me

thanks, nominators

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31727
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#58

Post by joachimt » March 11th, 2019, 9:21 am

funkybusiness wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 7:50 am
despite a 30-odd vote lead, it's pretty close between the two films for me
It seems you're not the only one who feels that way, but somehow most close votes end up in an advantage for The Pawnbroker. The score makes it seem that it was an extremely easy victory, but to me it doesn't feel like that.

Image Oi voskoi: 8
Image The Pawnbroker: 26

39 minutes left.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"


mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11310
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#60

Post by mjf314 » March 11th, 2019, 9:53 am

1. The Pawnbroker
2. Oi Voskoi

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31727
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#61

Post by joachimt » March 11th, 2019, 10:01 am

Deadline over. Final result:

Image Oi voskoi: 8
Image The Pawnbroker: 27

Congratulations to filmbantha. Also thanks to tommy_leazaq and to the 35 people who voted this match.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 4186
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Springfield, MO, USA
Contact:

#62

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 11th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Poor Greece. Looking at that score, you'd think everyone thought the film sucked...

Post Reply