Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)

World Cup, Season 3, Match 2E: China vs England vs Bolivia (Nov 4th)

blocho
Donator
Posts: 2092
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

Re: World Cup, Season 3, Match 2E: China vs England vs Bolivia (Nov 4th)

#41

Post by blocho » November 2nd, 2018, 4:30 pm

Hurlu, I reacted a little too quickly. Perhaps I was a bit harsh. Two factors here:
- I've taken too much stress as a teacher these past two years
- Democracy right now makes everyone in the United States miserable. Next Tuesday, I'm gonna go vote, then go home and start drinking heavily

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1437
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#42

Post by hurluberlu » November 2nd, 2018, 6:11 pm

blocho wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 4:30 pm
Hurlu, I reacted a little too quickly. Perhaps I was a bit harsh. Two factors here:
- I've taken too much stress as a teacher these past two years
- Democracy right now makes everyone in the United States miserable. Next Tuesday, I'm gonna go vote, then go home and start drinking heavily
Hey, no worries ! If it doesn’t win, glad it triggered some reaction and discussion.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage

edward5
Posts: 278
Joined: Aug 03, 2013
Contact:

#43

Post by edward5 » November 4th, 2018, 4:17 am

1. 10 Rillington Place 6/10
2. Yvy Maraey 6/10
3. Please Vote for Me 5/10 three noisy and dishonest kids, and their parents are worse.

A weak round for me.

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 1984
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#44

Post by Angel Glez » November 4th, 2018, 9:01 am

1. 10 Rillington Place
2. Please Vote for Me
3. Yvy Maraey

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2221
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#45

Post by clemmetarey » November 4th, 2018, 12:33 pm

1. Please Vote for Me (2007) 7/10
2. 10 Rillington Place (1971) 6/10
3. Yvy Maraey (2013) 5/10

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3269
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#46

Post by Fergenaprido » November 4th, 2018, 3:15 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this round. Different, to say the least.

1. 10 Rillington Place - 7.5ish
2. Yvy Maraey - 6.5ish
3. Please Vote for Me - 6ish

British flic was interesting. Attenborough and Hurt were amazing in their roles. Went into this blind and didn't realize it was based on a true story until partway through. Horrific.

Bolivian film was too brooding and emo for me. The main journey part was pretty good, but the intercut scenes took away from the experience. Beautiful countryside.

Chinese doc was manipulative. Toying with children just to make a point or make a film. Not cool. The winner was not the one I would have predicted at the outset. And those parents!

User avatar
filmbantha
Posts: 188
Joined: Jul 10, 2013
Contact:

#47

Post by filmbantha » November 4th, 2018, 3:25 pm

1. 10 Rillington Place
2. Yvy Maraey
3. Please Vote For Me

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29573
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#48

Post by joachimt » November 4th, 2018, 4:53 pm

17 hours left

Image 10 Rillington Place: 1.607 (39-17)
Image Please Vote for Me: 1.929 (30-26)
Image Yvy Maraey: 2.464 (15-41)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7069
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#49

Post by Gershwin » November 4th, 2018, 8:15 pm

1. Please vote for me
2. 10 Rillington Place
3. Yvy Maraey

I can’t really tell why Yvy Maraey didn’t work for me, because in a certain way it’s straight up my alley, but I think there were a bit too many aforisms in it. I’m not very fond of these semi-philosophical reveries without decent arguments. At least not when I don’t intuitively recognize the truth behind them. :turned:

10 Rillington Place was a very fine film. And Please Vote for Me was almost brilliant.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Mochard
Posts: 2012
Joined: May 13, 2011
Location: California, USA was Manchester, UK
Contact:

#50

Post by Mochard » November 5th, 2018, 1:20 am

1. 10 Rillington Place - 8/10
2. Please Vote for Me - 7/10
3. Yvy Maraey - 5/10

I didn't rewatch 10 Rillington Place but I remember really enjoying it. Please Vote for Me was engaging but I couldn't get into Yvy Maraey, not my type of film.


User avatar
sacmersault
Posts: 567
Joined: Nov 17, 2013
Contact:

#52

Post by sacmersault » November 5th, 2018, 4:36 am

Barely made it

1. 10 Rillington Place - Really enjoyed the movie. The villain was very well created and acted. There's a creepiness in the ordinary of the character. Hurt was very good too. The story was interesting and it was a good twist on a
SpoilerShow
serial killer
film.\

2. Yvy Maraey - Really cliché idea and follow through. It's almost offensive that films about how "savages" are different from "normal" people are still being made. It was a bit interesting though for the Guarani ideas and poetry. And had some cinematic value.

3. Please Vote for Me - While I loved the doc and found it very interesting, it's a traditional documentary. The purpose of it being to document a story. There's nothing transcendental or cinematic about it.

wasabi
Posts: 204
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
Contact:

#53

Post by wasabi » November 5th, 2018, 5:59 am

1. Image Please Vote for Me
This movie seemed like a projection of Chinese society: people who have power or come from better families background have more privileges.
2. Image 10 Rillington Place
I expected more at the beginning of the movie, but still an interesting movie, good choice.
3. Image Yvy Maraey
I liked the story and the setting, but I would like it more if the director used a different way to tell the story.

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10522
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#54

Post by funkybusiness » November 5th, 2018, 8:31 am

1. 10 Rillington Place
2. Yvy Maraey
3. Please Vote For Me

mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 10807
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#55

Post by mjf314 » November 5th, 2018, 9:40 am

1. 10 Rillington Place
2. Please Vote for Me
3. Yvy Maraey

User avatar
metaller
Donator
Posts: 2852
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
Contact:

#56

Post by metaller » November 5th, 2018, 10:05 am

Woopsy. nearly forgot to vote. I'm back in the game. :)
Good round managers, I liked all three films.

1. 10 Rillington Place
2. Yvy Maraey
3. Please Vote for Me

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29573
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#57

Post by joachimt » November 5th, 2018, 10:32 am

metaller wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 10:05 am
Woopsy. nearly forgot to vote. I'm back in the game. :)
Good round managers, I liked all three films.

1. 10 Rillington Place
2. Yvy Maraey
3. Please Vote for Me
Technically you're 5 minutes late, but it doesn't influence the ranking, so I'll allow it. At least this time mjf314 isn't the last voter. :P

Final ranking:
Image 10 Rillington Place: 1.543 (51-19)
Image Please Vote for Me: 1.971 (36-34)
Image Yvy Maraey: 2.486 (18-52)

England wins.
Congratulations to funkybusiness. Also thanks to hurluberlu and burneyfan for their picks and to the 35 people who voted this match.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10522
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#58

Post by funkybusiness » November 5th, 2018, 10:39 am

thanks hurlu and burneyfan!

and for all the people saying they wished I'd gone with a more daring pick for England...well...just wait. maybe. or not.


User avatar
Lilarcor
Donator
Posts: 2769
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Contact:

#60

Post by Lilarcor » November 5th, 2018, 4:27 pm

sacmersault wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:36 am
2. Yvy Maraey - Really cliché idea and follow through. It's almost offensive that films about how "savages" are different from "normal" people are still being made.
This is exactly what the film is criticising! I don't think this revisionist perspective is a cliché, at least not yet..

blocho
Donator
Posts: 2092
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#61

Post by blocho » November 5th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Lilarcor wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:27 pm
sacmersault wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:36 am
2. Yvy Maraey - Really cliché idea and follow through. It's almost offensive that films about how "savages" are different from "normal" people are still being made.
This is exactly what the film is criticising! I don't think this revisionist perspective is a cliché, at least not yet..
I have to agree with Lilarcor here. I didn't love the movie, but I thought it was extremely sensitive about the dynamics vis-a-vis author/subject and colonizer/colonized. The La Paz Castellano even spoke at one point about how any movie he made might be an act of destruction.

User avatar
sacmersault
Posts: 567
Joined: Nov 17, 2013
Contact:

#62

Post by sacmersault » November 6th, 2018, 12:16 am

blocho wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 11:28 pm
Lilarcor wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:27 pm
sacmersault wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:36 am
2. Yvy Maraey - Really cliché idea and follow through. It's almost offensive that films about how "savages" are different from "normal" people are still being made.
This is exactly what the film is criticising! I don't think this revisionist perspective is a cliché, at least not yet..
I have to agree with Lilarcor here. I didn't love the movie, but I thought it was extremely sensitive about the dynamics vis-a-vis author/subject and colonizer/colonized. The La Paz Castellano even spoke at one point about how any movie he made might be an act of destruction.
Yet he made one

blocho
Donator
Posts: 2092
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#63

Post by blocho » November 6th, 2018, 12:37 am

You're right. He's a monster.


Post Reply