Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1964 (Sep 28th), 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 6th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, October nominations (Sep 27th)

World Cup, Season 3, Match 1E: Czechia vs Australia vs Latvia vs Bolivia

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1326
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

World Cup, Season 3, Match 1E: Czechia vs Australia vs Latvi

#41

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » March 24th, 2018, 9:34 am

Mario Gaborović on Mar 24 2018, 03:26:19 AM wrote:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:29:30 AM wrote:A lot of harsh raters on here, haha. 6s, 7s and 8s abound. 'Motociklu vasara' looks doomed.
Wait until sebby comes forward. :D

Before him it was mightysparks, but she gave up of cups.
I like to make full use of the 1-10 range. People who give out a 10/10 once every three or four years are just too stingy and hyper-critical in my book. sebby's scores are interesting for sure!
That's all, folks!

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3130
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#42

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 24th, 2018, 9:40 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 03:34:23 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Mar 24 2018, 03:26:19 AM wrote:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:29:30 AM wrote:A lot of harsh raters on here, haha. 6s, 7s and 8s abound. 'Motociklu vasara' looks doomed.
Wait until sebby comes forward. :D

Before him it was mightysparks, but she gave up of cups.
I like to make full use of the 1-10 range. People who give out a 10/10 once every three or four years are just too stingy and hyper-critical in my book. sebby's scores are interesting for sure!
Yeah I'm scale-aware myself. But 1 is only reserved for Friedberg/Seltzer comedies or sorts, I can't believe someone would rate Yeelen so low unless being in a state of anger.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on March 24th, 2018, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mate_cosido
Posts: 675
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
Contact:

#43

Post by Mate_cosido » March 24th, 2018, 9:57 pm

1. Ukamau
2. Neúplné zatmení
3. Samson and Delilah
4. Motociklu vasara

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5901
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#44

Post by sebby » March 25th, 2018, 1:22 am

Mario Gaborović on Mar 24 2018, 03:26:19 AM wrote:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:29:30 AM wrote:A lot of harsh raters on here, haha. 6s, 7s and 8s abound. 'Motociklu vasara' looks doomed.
Wait until sebby comes forward. :D

Before him it was mightysparks, but she gave up of cups.
Haha.

I believe in the entirety of the 1-10 scale. A 6 is a good film for me, not an average one. 4-5 is average. 8 and above is a masterstroke of some kind or another.

And as the years have gone by and I've seen more films, I've certainly been more stingy about giving out high ratings.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3257
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#45

Post by Fergenaprido » March 25th, 2018, 6:12 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:53:55 AM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 24 2018, 02:34:30 AM wrote:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:29:30 AM wrote:A lot of harsh raters on here, haha. 6s, 7s and 8s abound. 'Motociklu vasara' looks doomed.
What's harsh about 6's, 7's and 8's? Did you expect people to rate lots of 9's and 10's in the world cup? For a lot of people 6 is average, so lots of 7's and 8's is not that bad. To me Motociklu vasara didn't rise above average.
Well, 6 is an average film for me as well. 7 is a like with minor shortcomings. 8 is a very fine film but short of greatness. 9 is either a borderline great or a particular favourite. 10 is a film to cherish with every fibre of my being.

Going by my ratings framework, I would personally expect to hand out at least one and maybe two 9s in each match. Most people surely are nominating films that are at least personal favourites.

Maybe I'm just a more forgiving rater than is the norm!
Why do you expect so many 9s over the course of the each match?

In three seasons, I've given out one 10 (Along the Abandoned Road, a short I'd already seen before the match) and zero 9s. The lowest I've rated a film in the cup is 4 (though I do use the full 1-10 scale for all films)

I think I'm rather a generous rater, though I rate few things very high. My average rating across all films is 7.4, and for world cup films is 7.0. I've only had one new favourite from a world cup viewing (The Fifth Seal), though nine came close and may become favourites upon review.

Full distribution thus far for 171 films from three seasons:
10 - 1
9 - 0
8 - 51
7 - 85
6 - 24
5 - 8
4 - 2
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1326
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#46

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » March 25th, 2018, 7:31 am

Fergenaprido on Mar 25 2018, 12:12:25 AM wrote:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:53:55 AM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 24 2018, 02:34:30 AM wrote:What's harsh about 6's, 7's and 8's? Did you expect people to rate lots of 9's and 10's in the world cup? For a lot of people 6 is average, so lots of 7's and 8's is not that bad. To me Motociklu vasara didn't rise above average.
Well, 6 is an average film for me as well. 7 is a like with minor shortcomings. 8 is a very fine film but short of greatness. 9 is either a borderline great or a particular favourite. 10 is a film to cherish with every fibre of my being.

Going by my ratings framework, I would personally expect to hand out at least one and maybe two 9s in each match. Most people surely are nominating films that are at least personal favourites.

Maybe I'm just a more forgiving rater than is the norm!
Why do you expect so many 9s over the course of the each match?

In three seasons, I've given out one 10 (Along the Abandoned Road, a short I'd already seen before the match) and zero 9s. The lowest I've rated a film in the cup is 4 (though I do use the full 1-10 scale for all films)

I think I'm rather a generous rater, though I rate few things very high. My average rating across all films is 7.4, and for world cup films is 7.0. I've only had one new favourite from a world cup viewing (The Fifth Seal), though nine came close and may become favourites upon review.

Full distribution thus far for 171 films from three seasons:
10 - 1
9 - 0
8 - 51
7 - 85
6 - 24
5 - 8
4 - 2
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0
I suppose I am a forgiving rater. The vast majority of films selected are likely to be favourites of the particular manager and it strikes me as very likely that at least one out of each four will similarly work for me. I've given out three 9/10 ratings over the two matches I've voted in so far.
That's all, folks!

Renegade
Posts: 97
Joined: May 17, 2016
Contact:

#47

Post by Renegade » March 27th, 2018, 2:51 pm

1. Neúplné zatmení
2. Ukamau
3. Samson and Delilah
4. Motociklu vasara

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29523
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#48

Post by joachimt » March 27th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Image Ukamau: 1.867 (32-13)
Image Neúplné zatmení: 2.267 (26-19)
Image Samson and Delilah: 2.867 (17-28)
Image Motociklu vasara: 3 (15-30)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7069
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#49

Post by Gershwin » March 27th, 2018, 8:56 pm

funkybusiness on Mar 24 2018, 03:27:13 AM wrote:I would be no one's friend if I was assigning numerical values to the World Cup films lol

(except last round, that round was good, sans one)
My man Funky hittin' the nail on the World Cup's head. Last round was good indeed. But besides, meh. My chances of finding a new favourite are higher when I simply watch films by number of top lists they're on.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7069
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#50

Post by Gershwin » March 28th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I've been breaking my head about this, but would someone please explain the greatness of Ukamau, preferably with a spoiler-tagged summary so I'm sure I don't miss any relevant plot details? That might help me appreciate it a bit better. Apart from some good cinematography, it just looks so completely average to me, even while I played some parts twice ...
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 1940
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#51

Post by zuma » March 28th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Gershwin on Mar 28 2018, 03:03:35 PM wrote:I've been breaking my head about this, but would someone please explain the greatness of Ukamau, preferably with a spoiler-tagged summary so I'm sure I don't miss any relevant plot details? That might help me appreciate it a bit better. Apart from some good cinematography, it just looks so completely average to me, even while I played some parts twice ...
Who said it was great? A common mistake we make in the World Cup is to assume that a film ranked first means it is loved/liked/favourite.

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3130
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#52

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 28th, 2018, 11:08 pm

Gershwin on Mar 28 2018, 03:03:35 PM wrote:I've been breaking my head about this, but would someone please explain the greatness of Ukamau, preferably with a spoiler-tagged summary so I'm sure I don't miss any relevant plot details? That might help me appreciate it a bit better. Apart from some good cinematography, it just looks so completely average to me, even while I played some parts twice ...
It's about treatment of indigenous people by Hispanic powerholders. From our point of view a detail easy to overlook.

User avatar
sebby
Posts: 5901
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#53

Post by sebby » March 29th, 2018, 12:13 am

Mario Gaborović on Mar 28 2018, 05:08:28 PM wrote:
Gershwin on Mar 28 2018, 03:03:35 PM wrote:I've been breaking my head about this, but would someone please explain the greatness of Ukamau, preferably with a spoiler-tagged summary so I'm sure I don't miss any relevant plot details? That might help me appreciate it a bit better. Apart from some good cinematography, it just looks so completely average to me, even while I played some parts twice ...
It's about treatment of indigenous people by Hispanic powerholders. From our point of view a detail easy to overlook.
There is this, which lends the film a specific sense of gravity, and there is the astonishing final sequence, and there is the interesting fact of being a film both influenced by and influencing the european new wave movements of the time.

I think it's a powerful and very interesting film. And I am personally more likely to favor spit and gravel cinema over glitz and glamour, so there's that, too.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7069
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#54

Post by Gershwin » March 29th, 2018, 1:37 pm

So handling important material (I can see that, of course) makes it legitimate to use very flat characterizations and a meagre narrative? :ermm:

I'm afraid I'm just not very much into activist cinema.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Smoover
Posts: 379
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#55

Post by Smoover » March 30th, 2018, 1:33 pm

1. Neúplné zatmení 7.5
2. Ukamau 7.0
3. Samson and Delilah 7.0
4. Motociklu vasara 6.0

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7069
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#56

Post by Gershwin » March 30th, 2018, 1:54 pm

1. Samson and Delilah - 8.5
2. Neúplné zatmení - 6.5
3. Motociklu vasara - 5.5
4. Ukamau - 4.0
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
filmbantha
Posts: 184
Joined: Jul 10, 2013
Contact:

#57

Post by filmbantha » March 31st, 2018, 11:54 am

1. Samson and Delilah
2. Motociklu vasara
3. Ukamau
4. Neúplné zatmení

User avatar
Muellwind
Posts: 366
Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Contact:

#58

Post by Muellwind » March 31st, 2018, 2:15 pm

1 Neúplné zatmení
2 Samson and Delilah
3 Ukamau
4 Motociklu vasara

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29523
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#59

Post by joachimt » March 31st, 2018, 6:36 pm

Image Ukamau: 2.105 (36-21)
Image Neúplné zatmení: 2.211 (34-23)
Image Samson and Delilah: 2.632 (26-31)
Image Motociklu vasara: 3.053 (18-39)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

jdidaco
Posts: 1208
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#60

Post by jdidaco » March 31st, 2018, 9:44 pm

1. Motociklu vasara
2. Ukamau
3. Samson and Delilah
4. Neúplné zatmení

Congratulations to the managers, fine round, with two major masterworks in there.

jdidaco
Posts: 1208
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#61

Post by jdidaco » March 31st, 2018, 9:53 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:53:55 AM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 24 2018, 02:34:30 AM wrote:
RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Mar 24 2018, 02:29:30 AM wrote:A lot of harsh raters on here, haha. 6s, 7s and 8s abound. 'Motociklu vasara' looks doomed.
What's harsh about 6's, 7's and 8's? Did you expect people to rate lots of 9's and 10's in the world cup? For a lot of people 6 is average, so lots of 7's and 8's is not that bad. To me Motociklu vasara didn't rise above average.
Well, 6 is an average film for me as well. 7 is a like with minor shortcomings. 8 is a very fine film but short of greatness. 9 is either a borderline great or a particular favourite. 10 is a film to cherish with every fibre of my being.

Going by my ratings framework, I would personally expect to hand out at least one and maybe two 9s in each match. Most people surely are nominating films that are at least personal favourites. 'Motociklu' vasara' is a film that falls into the category of 'favourite' and 'Ukamau' is a truly masterful film. How someone can rate 'Ukamau' a 6/10 I truly cannot comprehend.

Here's a little sharing of reactions from the old IMDb boards between myself and jdidaco on 'Motociklu vasara' and its qualities: https://filmboards.com/board/p/893/4/.

Maybe I'm just a more forgiving rater than is the norm!
Thanks for that link, Roger. I especially love the greenery that adorns our ancient thoughts. It makes it look like a virtual scroll preserved from a very distant epoch!

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2218
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#62

Post by clemmetarey » March 31st, 2018, 9:58 pm

1. Neúplné zatmení (1983) 6/10
2. Samson and Delilah (2009) 6/10
3. Ukamau (1966) 5/10
4. Motociklu vasara (1975) 5/10

Last two didn't do much for me.

User avatar
Lilarcor
Donator
Posts: 2768
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Contact:

#63

Post by Lilarcor » April 1st, 2018, 7:25 pm

Interesting thoughts about ranking. I see 5/10 as average but worthwhile and everything above good or great. Since I don't select movies to watch completely random and watch them when I am in the mood for them most films I watch score above 5.

Regarding Ukamau, it really works for me as visual storytelling. Landscapes and people are shot in a way that is expressive. I have some issues with the POV of the aftermath of a major plot point, which limits its complexity somewhat.

Incomplete eclipse was quite fun and left me in a good mood. Motorcycle summer similarly so, I really appreciated the constant change of the "rules" of the film. Was weirded out by the Australian connections as I saw the Australian film just before. Samson and Delilah was mostly misery porn but I really liked how empowering it became over time which made me score it two points higher by the end, still I share most of sol's sentiments.

1. Motorcycle summer 7/10
2. Ukamau 7/10
3. Incomplete eclipse 7/10
4. Samson and Delilah 6/10

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3491
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#64

Post by weirdboy » April 2nd, 2018, 1:03 am

OK, I think I'm ready to vote!

1. Ukamau (And So It Is) - 1966 - Jorge Sanjines 8/10
2. Neúplné zatmení (Incomplete Eclipse) - 1983 - Jaromil Jires 8/10
3. Motociklu vasara (Motocycle Summer) - 1975 - Uldis Brauns 7/10
4. Samson and Delilah - 2009 - Warwick Thornton 7/10

I liked all of the movies in this match, so it was a bit tough to rank them relative to one another. I have seen some other Jaromil Jires films, but this was my first time seeing Incomplete Eclipse. Based on the few of his films I've seen, it seems like he has a thing about making films involving girls on the verge of womanhood, so to speak.

User avatar
burneyfan
Donator
Posts: 5808
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#65

Post by burneyfan » April 2nd, 2018, 4:54 pm

1. Ukamau (Bolivia)
4. Samson and Delilah (Australia)
2. Neúplné zatmení (Czechia)
3. Motociklu vasara (Latvia)

Thanks to Carmel98, Daviddoes, and RogerTheMovieManiac88 for a great round!

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29523
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#66

Post by joachimt » April 2nd, 2018, 5:22 pm

burneyfan on Apr 2 2018, 10:54:02 AM wrote:1. Ukamau (Bolivia)
4. Samson and Delilah (Australia)
2. Neúplné zatmení (Czechia)
3. Motociklu vasara (Latvia)

Thanks to Carmel98, Daviddoes, and RogerTheMovieManiac88 for a great round!
How should I read those numbers? :shrug:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 11267
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

#67

Post by Armoreska » April 2nd, 2018, 5:29 pm

joachimt on Apr 2 2018, 11:22:45 AM wrote:
burneyfan on Apr 2 2018, 10:54:02 AM wrote:1. Ukamau (Bolivia)
4. Samson and Delilah (Australia)
2. Neúplné zatmení (Czechia)
3. Motociklu vasara (Latvia)

Thanks to Carmel98, Daviddoes, and RogerTheMovieManiac88 for a great round!
How should I read those numbers? :shrug:
May I suggest numbers should take precedence over order :P
Image
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29523
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#68

Post by joachimt » April 2nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

Armoreska on Apr 2 2018, 11:29:42 AM wrote:
joachimt on Apr 2 2018, 11:22:45 AM wrote:
burneyfan on Apr 2 2018, 10:54:02 AM wrote:1. Ukamau (Bolivia)
4. Samson and Delilah (Australia)
2. Neúplné zatmení (Czechia)
3. Motociklu vasara (Latvia)

Thanks to Carmel98, Daviddoes, and RogerTheMovieManiac88 for a great round!
How should I read those numbers? :shrug:
May I suggest numbers should take precedence over order :P
Good idea, because that's how I voted as well. :thumbsup:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1433
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#69

Post by hurluberlu » April 2nd, 2018, 5:57 pm

1. Ukamau: 7-
2. Neúplné zatmení: 6+
3. Samson and Delilah: 6-
4. Motociklu vasara: 5+
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1326
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#70

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 2nd, 2018, 6:23 pm

joachimt on Apr 2 2018, 11:32:48 AM wrote:
Armoreska on Apr 2 2018, 11:29:42 AM wrote:
joachimt on Apr 2 2018, 11:22:45 AM wrote:How should I read those numbers? :shrug:
May I suggest numbers should take precedence over order :P
Good idea, because that's how I voted as well. :thumbsup:
I'm praying for a third place and not another last place. LOL
That's all, folks!

User avatar
burneyfan
Donator
Posts: 5808
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#71

Post by burneyfan » April 2nd, 2018, 7:46 pm

joachimt on Apr 2 2018, 11:22:45 AM wrote:
burneyfan on Apr 2 2018, 10:54:02 AM wrote:1. Ukamau (Bolivia)
4. Samson and Delilah (Australia)
2. Neúplné zatmení (Czechia)
3. Motociklu vasara (Latvia)

Thanks to Carmel98, Daviddoes, and RogerTheMovieManiac88 for a great round!
How should I read those numbers? :shrug:
Oh, I'm so sorry. I was cutting and pasting from another person's post. The order should take precedence, not the numbers. It should be:

1. Ukamau
2. Samson and Delilah
3. Neuplne zatmeni
4. Motociklu vasara

Very sorry for the confusion -- thanks, joachim, for alerting me to the problem. :blush:

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29523
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#72

Post by joachimt » April 2nd, 2018, 8:21 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, burneyfan. Vote counted.

Image Ukamau: 2 (50-25)
Image Neúplné zatmení: 2.28 (43-32)
Image Samson and Delilah: 2.72 (32-43)
Image Motociklu vasara: 3 (25-50)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
metaller
Donator
Posts: 2852
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
Contact:

#73

Post by metaller » April 3rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

Can't say that I was particularly impressed by this round. None of the films was bad, but none was excellent for sure for me.

1. Samson and Delilah (2009, Warwick Thornton) 7/10
Downward spiral of two troubled Aboriginee youths, that flee their downtrodden hometown life to sink further as homeless people in a bigger city. Had me engaged well throughout, even or because of its sparse dialogue.

2. Neúplné zatmení (1983, Jaromil Jires) 6.5/10
Story of a young girl having problems to come to terms with her blindness and life in an institute for the blind. Some nice creative ideas at times and some coming of age touches.

3. Motociklu vasara (1975, Uldis Brauns) 6/10
Fun slice of life romp as a guy "robs" a bride-to-be on his 18th birthday.

4. Ukamau (1966, Jorge Sanjinés) 6/10
Beautifully shot, but horribly acted and not very well structured or engaging. The final strong sequnce hasn't much impact as I just didn't care for anyone much at that point.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

tommy_leazaq
Donator
Posts: 3416
Joined: May 18, 2011
Location: Chennai, India
Contact:

#74

Post by tommy_leazaq » April 4th, 2018, 6:46 am

Wow, its really painful to have to sit through and supposedly care for an unlikable character and her romantic adventure for almost an hour. And that too when the movie promised to be engaging and interesting only to make this nosedive in plot and gave us a sappy irritating romance episode

Motocycle film has easily became my least liked film of all three wcs combined. Shame really, as i was really got interested in the beginning and anticipated for an road adventure with beautiful bikes and its stunts. Then the railway crossing scene came. wish the bikers crossed the railway line.

Nopros
Donator
Posts: 2053
Joined: May 16, 2011
Contact:

#75

Post by Nopros » April 4th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Wow, this bunch was definitely the hardest for me to rank so far. Such great movies!

1. Motociklu vasara (1975)
2. Neúplné zatmení (1983)
3. Ukamau (1966)
4. Samson and Delilah (2009)

To be honest, 2nd (and possibly even 3rd) place on my list could just as well be placed on top.

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8263
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#76

Post by jvv » April 5th, 2018, 8:45 pm

1. Motociklu vasara - 7.5/10
2. Neúplné zatmení - 7/10
3. Samson and Delilah - 6/10
4. Ukamau - 6/10

Motociklu vasara - playful and a bit weird
Neúplné zatmení - well made coming of age movie
Samson and Delilah - ending feels a bit out of line with the rest of the movie
Ukamau - acting was rather stiff

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 11267
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

#77

Post by Armoreska » April 5th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Czechia closed within 2 points of the lead
Image
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29523
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#78

Post by joachimt » April 5th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Armoreska on Apr 5 2018, 03:05:23 PM wrote:Czechia closed within 2 points of the lead
Image Ukamau: 2.179 (51-33)
Image Neúplné zatmení: 2.25 (49-35)
Image Samson and Delilah: 2.714 (36-48)
Image Motociklu vasara: 2.857 (32-52)

The gap between #2 and #3 is rather big, so it's pretty clear at the moment which two countries will proceed.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Mochard
Posts: 2010
Joined: May 13, 2011
Location: California, USA was Manchester, UK
Contact:

#79

Post by Mochard » April 6th, 2018, 5:17 am

1. Samson and Delilah - 7/10
2. Neúplné zatmení - 6/10
3. Ukamau - 6/10
4. Motociklu vasara - 6/10


Post Reply