Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1964 (Sep 28th), 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 6th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Film World Cup - Season 3 - Discussion before preparation

Fergenaprido
Donator

Film World Cup - Season 3 - Discussion before preparation

Post by Fergenaprido » October 6th, 2017, 3:53 am

sebby on Oct 5 2017, 04:59:05 PM wrote:Sorry to distract from the argumentation: just out of curiosity, how many posters have participated in every round in both seasons?
14/69 participants in the 1st season voted in every match
19/64 participants in the 2nd season voted in every match

11 people (Angel, Armoreska, Cocoa, joachim, jvv, klaus, Mario, metaller, mjf, tommy, and zhangalan) are the only ones to vote in all 64 matches thus far.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 6th, 2017, 4:13 am

Maybe the ballsiest people here could reveal their wished country/its entry beforehand, so that busy folks can manage their time & viewing list and vote on time. :think: I've got no problem with that.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on October 6th, 2017, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sebby

Post by sebby » October 6th, 2017, 5:10 am

Fergenaprido on Oct 5 2017, 09:53:20 PM wrote:
sebby on Oct 5 2017, 04:59:05 PM wrote:Sorry to distract from the argumentation: just out of curiosity, how many posters have participated in every round in both seasons?

11 people (Angel, Armoreska, Cocoa, joachim, jvv, klaus, Mario, metaller, mjf, tommy, and zhangalan) are the only ones to vote in all 64 matches thus far.
:thumbsup:

11. That's more than I would have expected.

I'm going to try and watch every film this round. Finally got ample movie-watching time again now (and for the foreseeable [near] future).

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 6th, 2017, 6:18 am

Mario Gaborović on Oct 5 2017, 10:13:54 PM wrote:Maybe the ballsiest people here could reveal their wished country/its entry beforehand, so that busy folks can manage their time & viewing list and vote on time. :think: I've got no problem with that.
I have countries/films lined up, but, I won't post them at the moment for a couple reasons. First, now isn't the time to sign up. Second, there's no guarantee that I'll get the countries that I want.

But it doesn't matter... Mine is going to win. :D
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 6th, 2017, 7:54 am

Let me add these.

Season 1:

Season 2:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 6th, 2017, 12:24 pm

I'm way too intimidated by the likes as Mario to feel I'm knowledgeable enough to manage any country.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 6th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Lonewolf2003 on Oct 6 2017, 06:24:37 AM wrote:I'm way too intimidated by the likes as Mario to feel I'm knowledgeable enough to manage any country.
I just wanted to say that I'm open to cater people who are short with time. Maybe others aren't, though.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 6th, 2017, 12:36 pm

It's not these voters I'm concerned about. But the more casual ones. If even some of those who participated in (almost) every round have doubts about being able to participate much in the new cup, it must be even worse for the more casual participants. On the other hand the Cup shouldn't drag out too long either, that's not good for motivation and interest either.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 6th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Judging by the graphs above, participation not only rose but stayed permanently high all the way. There's no ground to claim that, Lonewolf.

Besides, as we get older, we cover more and more and the percentage of already-seen films could only be greater.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 6th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Except for people expressing desires to have been able to participate in more matches and not having to have missed some. Imagine what the participation could have been, if they could have ;)

Judging from season 2 only about a third have been able to participate in each match and every match has only about half of the total participants.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on October 6th, 2017, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 6th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Lonewolf2003 on Oct 6 2017, 11:48:04 AM wrote:Except for people expressing desires to have been able to participate in more matches and not having to have missed some. Imagine what the participation could have been, if they could have ;)

Judging from season 2 only about a third have been able to participate in each match and every match has only about half of the total participants.
Well I can help you in time-management with one suggestion, for sure: have daily meals while you watch. It reduces the busy hours, and makes films look better coz of full stomach. :thumbsup:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Mario Gaborović on Oct 6 2017, 11:59:46 AM wrote:
Lonewolf2003 on Oct 6 2017, 11:48:04 AM wrote:Except for people expressing desires to have been able to participate in more matches and not having to have missed some. Imagine what the participation could have been, if they could have ;)

Well I can help you in time-management with one suggestion, for sure: have daily meals while you watch. It reduces the busy hours, and makes films look better coz of full stomach. :thumbsup:
And Gershwin should just watch movies while changing diapers, giving a bottle, ...... and of course, when his kid is awake in the middle of the night and Gershwin tries to get it to sleep, he might just as well put on a movie. Maybe his kid will fall asleep that way.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 6th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Btw, before this poll closes and we're onto the next step, are there any volunteers to host the whole cup? I'd like to do it again, but if others are interested, feel free to say so.
ICM-profile

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 6th, 2017, 8:52 pm

joachimt on Oct 6 2017, 12:32:32 PM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Oct 6 2017, 11:59:46 AM wrote:

And Gershwin should just watch movies while changing diapers, giving a bottle, ...... and of course, when his kid is awake in the middle of the night and Gershwin tries to get it to sleep, he might just as well put on a movie. Maybe his kid will fall asleep that way.
Spot on. -_-
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

monty

Post by monty » October 7th, 2017, 12:43 am

Mario Gaborović on Oct 5 2017, 10:13:54 PM wrote:Maybe the ballsiest people here could reveal their wished country/its entry beforehand, so that busy folks can manage their time & viewing list and vote on time. :think: I've got no problem with that.
Top winning managers from the previous Cup get first dibs, remember.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 7th, 2017, 12:55 am

monty on Oct 6 2017, 06:43:38 PM wrote:
Top winning managers from the previous Cup get first dibs, remember.
I wish if you could join Dancing on the Ceiling gab at different topic. Life just isn't the same without humorous share of yours, monty. B)

sebby

Post by sebby » October 7th, 2017, 4:19 am

joachimt on Oct 6 2017, 01:54:10 AM wrote:

Let me add these.

Season 1:

Season 2:
Higher turnout in season two was a nice surprise.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 10th, 2017, 10:08 am

So, that's being decided then. 48 countries shall be. :) Let's start picking them.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 10th, 2017, 11:11 am

Mario Gaborović on Oct 10 2017, 04:08:08 AM wrote:So, that's being decided then. 48 countries shall be. :) Let's start picking them.
The 10th isn't over yet.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 10th, 2017, 12:49 pm

After the deadline I will start the singing up phase. The managers from the quarter finals of last season get to pick one country first. Then the rest of the forum members can pick a country, they want to manage. I'll set a deadline for this. Then we'll do a second round until we're at the decided number of countries.

Which countries should participate absolutely?

In season 1 mjf posted this list at the start:
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
China
Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Germany
Hong Kong
Hungary
India
Italy
Japan
Mexico
Netherlands
Poland
South Korea
Soviet Union/Russia
Spain
Sweden
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States
Yugoslavia

In season 2, almost all of those countries participated. Only Austria was absent. UK was split (already in season 1, I think?), so didn't participate as a whole. The same goes for Yugoslavia.

I think I want to downsize this list of countries, but I'm not sure where to draw the line. Any thoughts?
ICM-profile

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 10th, 2017, 1:23 pm

So far we played with countries that exist today within present borders; We should not change that IMO. Otherwise it would be a mess of confusion hard to differentiate. Especially because almost all Russian, Ukrainian, Czech, Slovak, Serbian or Croatian films used so far were actually made BEFORE their independence.

Scotland/England are divided purely because of the analogue footballing history.

I advocated much before that we simply ditch all previous historical turbulences regarding state borders, and use present ones; you realize that Fritz Lang's M is not German film at all, but belongs to Weimar Republic, don't you?

Oh boy, each season we have same conversation again. :yucky: Can't we decide that once and for good?
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on October 10th, 2017, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 10th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Mario Gaborović on Oct 10 2017, 07:23:09 AM wrote:So far we played with countries that exist today within present borders; We should not change that IMO. Otherwise it would be a mess of confusion hard to differentiate. Especially because almost all Russian, Ukrainian, Czech, Slovak, Serbian or Croatian films used so far were actually made BEFORE their independence.

Scotland/England are divided purely because of the analogue footballing history.

I advocated much before that we simply ditch all previous historical turbulences regarding state borders, and use present ones; you realize that Fritz Lang's M is not German film at all, but belongs to Weimar Republic, don't you?

Oh boy, each season we have same conversation again. :yucky: Can't we decide that once and for good?
I don't want to have the same discussion. That wasn't my intention. I just didn't remember the logic of which countries we included absolutely and which were optional.

I agree we should use current countries. If you pick a Croatian movie from the time it was part of Yugoslavia, just make sure it really is a Croatian movie and not a Serbian one. For example of course. There are several other situations like that.

I just thought about the list of countries and I think the best way is just not to set any preliminary country-list at all. The big countries will be chosen anyway. I don't see any need to draw a line somewhere. During the picking I'll post lists of countries that haven't been chosen yet.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » October 10th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Agreed, no need to have a "guaranteed countries" list. If no one picks them, so be it. Posting a reminder list of which big-hitters remain unselected toward the end is fine, though.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 10th, 2017, 2:43 pm

These 8 people have advantage to pick countries for Season 3:

sortile9io
klaus78
monty
tommy_leazaq
mjf314
funkybusiness
beavis
Carmel98

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » October 10th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Mario Gaborović on Oct 10 2017, 08:43:55 AM wrote:These 8 people have advantage to pick countries for Season 3:

sortile9io
klaus78
monty
tommy_leazaq
mjf314
funkybusiness
beavis
Carmel98
And one more thing, there should be a deadline for them to choose the countries.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 10th, 2017, 3:07 pm

zhangalan on Oct 10 2017, 09:01:02 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Oct 10 2017, 08:43:55 AM wrote:These 8 people have advantage to pick countries for Season 3:

sortile9io
klaus78
monty
tommy_leazaq
mjf314
funkybusiness
beavis
Carmel98
And one more thing, there should be a deadline for them to choose the countries.
Yes, I'll set a deadline for those people. After the deadline it's open for everyone. I'll start this process tomorrow.

Btw, since nobody offered to take over my job, I assume I'm the host again for this season.
ICM-profile

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 10th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Fergenaprido on Oct 10 2017, 08:41:02 AM wrote:Agreed, no need to have a "guaranteed countries" list. If no one picks them, so be it. Posting a reminder list of which big-hitters remain unselected toward the end is fine, though.
Seconded.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 10th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Trying to make a list of countries of the world for this. Using this source at the moment:
https://www.countries-ofthe-world.com/a ... tries.html

If we use such a list, Hong Kong can't be picked, because it's not a separate country, but a "special administrative region". Previously Hong Kong did compete in our WC as a separate country. We probably discussed this before, but I don't remember precisely.
ICM-profile

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 10th, 2017, 3:35 pm

joachimt on Oct 10 2017, 09:30:42 AM wrote:Trying to make a list of countries of the world for this. Using this source at the moment:
https://www.countries-ofthe-world.com/a ... tries.html

If we use such a list, Hong Kong can't be picked, because it's not a separate country, but a "special administrative region". Previously Hong Kong did compete in our WC as a separate country. We probably discussed this before, but I don't remember precisely.
We said anything that's listed on IMDb except dissolved states should be included. Plus Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I wish if Fergenaprido could teach me how to make that beautiful map of his he made at the beginning of Season 2. :whistling:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 10th, 2017, 4:00 pm

I added Hong Kong to the list of that source and split up UK. Not going through the IMDb-tags to see if I missed some tiny spot on the world-map, that won't be picked anyway.
Countries that participated in both seasonsShow
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
China
Cuba
Czech Republic
Denmark
Egypt
England
France
Germany
Greece
Hong Kong
Hungary
India
Iran
Italy
Japan
Mexico
Netherlands
Norway
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Senegal
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey
United States of America
Countries that participated in one seasonShow
Austria
Chile
Colombia
Croatia
Finland
Georgia
Iceland
Indonesia
Israel
Kazakhstan
Montenegro
Morocco
Mozambique
New Zealand
Niger
Scotland
Serbia
Slovakia
Sri Lanka
Syria
Tunisia
Ukraine
Venezuela
Vietnam
Countries that haven't participated so farShow
Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Botswana
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cabo Verde
Cambodia
Cameroon
Central African Republic (CAR)
Chad
Comoros
Costa Rica
Cote d'Ivoire
Cyprus
Democratic Republic of theCongo
Djibouti
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Estonia
Ethiopia
Fiji
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guatemala
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Iraq
Ireland
Jamaica
Jordan
Kenya
Kiribati
Kosovo
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Latvia
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia (FYROM)
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Marshall Islands
Mauritania
Mauritius
Micronesia
Moldova
Monaco
Mongolia
Myanmar (Burma)
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
Nicaragua
Nigeria
North Korea
Northern Ireland
Oman
Pakistan
Palau
Palestine
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Qatar
Republic of the Congo
Rwanda
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
San Marino
Sao Tome and Principe
Saudi Arabia
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Slovenia
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
South Sudan
Sudan
Suriname
Swaziland
Switzerland
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkmenistan
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Vatican City (Holy See)
Wales
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Last edited by joachimt on October 10th, 2017, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 10th, 2017, 4:24 pm

frbrown on Oct 10 2017, 10:17:32 AM wrote:Catalonia?
Let's wait and see. Don't make angry sortile and AngelGlez. :lol:

beavis

Post by beavis » October 10th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Joachim you did an excellent job last time, and i like how you regulate this discussion also. So if you don't mind the work, i would be very glad to have you as host.

Do i really have a privilege to select a country first? My own picks didn't do great, they were not easy choices, but that shouldn't matter. That finalist position i was just temporary filling in... And also didn't make it :)

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » October 10th, 2017, 5:24 pm

beavis on Oct 10 2017, 11:17:18 AM wrote:Do i really have a privilege to select a country first?
Nope, that's my prerogative. You are number seven.

beavis

Post by beavis » October 10th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Of the countries that have not been picked before i am interested the most in Bulgaria (only saw my second movie from that country last weekend), Lebanon (watched a lot earlier this year), Switserland (currently on my watchlist) and Uzbekistan. I wouldn't dare pick them myself, but i do expect a few hidden gems to be found there!
Last edited by beavis on October 10th, 2017, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 10th, 2017, 5:39 pm

beavis on Oct 10 2017, 11:34:33 AM wrote:Of the countries that have not been picked before i am interested the most in Bulgaria (only saw my second movie from that country last weekend), Lebanon (watched a lot earlier this year), Switserland (currently on my watchlist) and Uzbekistan. I wouldn't dare pick them myself, but i do expect a few hidden gems to be found there!
I can help you with Bulgaria, have seen 20 features. I count Sterne as a German film, though.
Others seen: Switzerland 13, Lebanon 3, Uzbekistan 3.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 10th, 2017, 5:52 pm

beavis on Oct 10 2017, 11:17:18 AM wrote:Do i really have a privilege to select a country first? My own picks didn't do great, they were not easy choices, but that shouldn't matter. That finalist position i was just temporary filling in... And also didn't make it :)
Nothing personal, but that's not really fair indeed. Kingink made it to the QF and you blew it for him. :lol:

These 8 get to pick first (starting tomorrow in a new thread):

mjf314
tommy_leazaq
funkybusiness
klaus78
kingink
sortile9io
monty
Carmel98

But it's pretty safe to assume kingink won't use this opportunity.
ICM-profile

beavis

Post by beavis » October 10th, 2017, 5:58 pm

joachimt on Oct 10 2017, 11:52:12 AM wrote:
beavis on Oct 10 2017, 11:17:18 AM wrote:Do i really have a privilege to select a country first? My own picks didn't do great, they were not easy choices, but that shouldn't matter. That finalist position i was just temporary filling in... And also didn't make it :)
Nothing personal, but that's not really fair indeed. Kingink made it to the QF and you blew it for him. :lol:
I got pretty close :)

And am glad my choice for Hungary did get a lot of positive attention because of it!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 10th, 2017, 6:26 pm

joachimt on Oct 10 2017, 11:52:12 AM wrote:

These 8 get to pick first (starting tomorrow in a new thread):

mjf314
tommy_leazaq
funkybusiness
klaus78
kingink
sortile9io
monty
Carmel98

But it's pretty safe to assume kingink won't use this opportunity.
Is it sure the others will want or able to be manager again?

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 10th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Gershwin on Oct 10 2017, 09:08:46 AM wrote:
Fergenaprido on Oct 10 2017, 08:41:02 AM wrote:Agreed, no need to have a "guaranteed countries" list. If no one picks them, so be it. Posting a reminder list of which big-hitters remain unselected toward the end is fine, though.
Seconded.
Thirdth.

I miss Nambia btw.