Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

iCM Forum's Highest Rated Movies

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
xianjiro
Donator

Re: iCM Forum's Highest Rated Movies

Post by xianjiro » July 23rd, 2018, 11:31 pm

so then, should we repost or URLs then?

I'm all in - https://www.imdb.com/user/ur1125225/ratings

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 24th, 2018, 6:23 am

xianjiro wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 11:31 pm

First I'd like to know from themagician if he's up for a new list from scratch.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

themagician

Post by themagician » July 24th, 2018, 7:23 am

joachimt wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 6:23 am
xianjiro wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 11:31 pm

First I'd like to know from themagician if he's up for a new list from scratch.
Yes, I just need to do some programming first as I don't have a script that can download ratings from a csv. I'll start a new thread when it's done.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 24th, 2018, 7:40 am

Sounds like a good idea to start a new thread to start from scratch. That way we can have a fresh list in the OP of which lists are included.

Maybe we can set a deadline then after which we'll do a countdown of the first edition of the new list. After that others will still be welcome to add their ratings as well.
ICM-profile

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » September 12th, 2018, 4:29 pm

how is it going?

themagician

Post by themagician » September 13th, 2018, 11:11 am

Lakigigar wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 4:29 pm
how is it going?
So I wanted to make it faster by downloading many rating pages at the same time but wasn't sure how best to do that. I worked on it yesterday and got it working, though it only downloads one user's ratings at a time. I still need to fix year parsing and determine the title type. Now the annoying thing is, there's nothing to differentiate a feature film from a TV series that ran for 1 year only as they look exactly the same on the rating page. I guess we have to live with that. Should be done today!

beasterne

Post by beasterne » April 12th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Here is my list, if you are still accepting submissions!

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur60088220/ratings

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » July 23rd, 2020, 10:05 am

The website is gone and themagician doesn't use the forum anymore :/ Maybe there's no more use having this stickied?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 5th, 2020, 12:28 pm

I'd be willing to take on a smaller load version of this project (regularly updating the main highest rated list + the shorts list on iCM, possibly a website in the future, maybe the other lists now and then), but I'm not sure of any easy way of mass downloading everyone's ratings or how to compile them into the final list. Is anyone able to help with that aspect (which I know is the biggest and hardest part but I don't have the skill set)? I really miss this project :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 5th, 2020, 12:53 pm

I also miss this project; it was one of the few lists that I would check weekly for updates, and I loved seeing all the ups and downs as people watched a film and rated it.

I'm also willing to help out. I don't know any coding (yet... I keep telling myself I'll learn, but my Python learning group got cancelled because of Covid lockdown), but I'm pretty handy with Excel, and could probably jig up a similar set of results to what the magician had, albeit with more manual work and likely with far fewer regular updates (maybe monthly).

I think we don't even need a website for starters; we could simply host the lists in a Google Sheet for now.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 5th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Yeah I thought to start a google sheet and the iCM lists would be more than enough. In the future it might be nice to expand to a website if the magician doesn’t return and want to take the project back. And yea I was also thinking monthly updates would be easiest if there’s no quick and easy solution. Glad to see someone else on board for restarting this :) I was hoping the magician would return so didn’t want to suggest it too soon but I actually like these lists more than any other list we do so I would love to have them up and running again.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 5th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Scriptwise it really shouldn't be too hard if you have all the necessary IMDb urls. I think the most work would go into setting up a decent database structure, especially if you want to keep some decent stats and don't want to do too much manual work.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 5th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Database structure is another unknown/weak area for me. I used to use MS Access but that was about 15 years ago and I never learned Visual Basics or anything similar. I create de facto databases in Excel, which I know isn't ideal (and I hardly use any macros there except xdate to help with pre-1900 dates).

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 5th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 1:09 pm
Scriptwise it really shouldn't be too hard if you have all the necessary IMDb urls.
Are you sure? It’s not possible to export someone’s ratings. You have to write something that extracts each rating one by one.
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 5th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Oh right I forgot IMDb got rid of that feature (why??).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 5th, 2020, 3:08 pm

You can export your own ratings still, though, so if a script isn't readily feasible at the start, people could initially download their own ratings and share the exported files for us to construct the initial database. But it would definitely complicate future updates.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 5th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 3:08 pm
You can export your own ratings still, though, so if a script isn't readily feasible at the start, people could initially download their own ratings and share the exported files for us to construct the initial database. But it would definitely complicate future updates.
I thought about that too. You could make a spreadsheet where everybody could update their own column now and then, but I'm afraid it'll get outdated pretty soon.
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 6th, 2020, 12:41 am

Yeah we could also have a Dropbox or something and a reminder every month or so to chuck your ratings file in there but I imagine people would forget or not bother. Or people could attach it to a thread or pm/email if they don’t want other people to have access.

I guess we sort of have a temporary but bad solution to that. But I’m happy to collate all the lists if people are willing to provide them.

So, what about a program that calculates the average ratings from the files? I’m sure that part is easier for those who know how to write those things. I don’t know how we would separate shorts and TV series though. Especially as I’d like to have separate lists for those if possible. I guess we could do it TSZDT style where the program gives you results and then I put it in a spreadsheet. Chris then has a script that retrieves IMDb information which I add to the spreadsheet and it could be separated there. Would require a bit of manual work at first but once all the info there it’s not so bad.