Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

iCM Forum's Highest Rated Movies

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
themagician

iCM Forum's Highest Rated Movies

Post by themagician » March 10th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Submit your IMDb rating list to participate!

You can find the IMDb rating list URL at http://www.imdb.com/list/ratings. When you open it, it redirects you to a new page, make sure the list is public, and copy paste the URL.

You can post the URL either in this thread, or by PMing it to me (your ratings are not made public).

The lists are updated every Sunday.

Most recent top lists: https://themagician.000webhostapp.com/h ... ed/latest/

(NEW) You can also search the results:

https://themagician.000webhostapp.com/h ... =nm0000419
https://themagician.000webhostapp.com/h ... =tt0056663

You can also find the lists on iCheckMovies:

Top 1000
Top 1001-2000
Top 250 Documentaries
Top 250 Shorts
Bottom 100
iCM Forum's Top 250 Highest Rated TV Series
Top 250 Obscure Feature Films
Top 250 Europe (Excluding France)
Top 250 Asia (Excluding Japan)
Top 250 France
Top 250 Japan

As rated by these 105 users on wrote: afirm, albajos, allisoncm, Angmark, Armoreska, BadSmile, bal3x, blueboybob, brokenface, Carmel98, cayado-coro, Chilton, ChrisReynolds, cinephage, cinewest, Cocoa, Daviddoes, drbop, DukeOfOmnium, edkrak, el-thedeath, Enigma, Eve-Lang-El-Coup, Fergenaprido, filmbantha, Forrester, frbrown, funkybusiness, Gegmnewman, George Bailey, Gorro, greenhorg, gremlo, hurluberlu, JCS, jeff_v, joachimt, jonas2k, Jook, jvv, karmacarroll, Kasparius, kierkegaardian, kingink, klaus78, kombelpeter, L46R, Labraxas, Lakigigar, Lammetje, lampadatriste, Leopardi, Life as Fiction, Lilarc0r, Limedebois, Lonewolf2003, Magenta Bob, maksler, Marazmatique, mathiasa, Melvelet, metaller, Micron, mightysparks, Mochard, monclivie, Muellwind, Mulholland, natrajan, Neemu, Nopros, OldAle1, Olum, Onderhond, ormazd, Pain, PeacefulAnarchy, Perception de Ambiguity, Pinheiro, porzano, redcard29, reddevil, RFNAPLES, rohit, SanderO, sebby, sheikofhyrule, Smoover, St. Gloede, stefanaki, sushantv10, takk71, Tasselfoot, TheMadcapLaughs, themagician, Timec, timmy_501, tirefeet, tommy_leazaq, Torgo, toro913, VincentPrice, Wonderful Rainbow, wuzzawuzz, xianjiro
Last edited by themagician on May 11th, 2017, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 10th, 2012, 7:44 pm

I already posted in the other thread, but for easy access I'll post them here again :

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur15537330/ratings

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 10th, 2012, 7:45 pm

I think TV series, yes, TV eps no.

And I'll copy jvv and repost my link again for easy access: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3954564/ratings
Last edited by mightysparks on March 10th, 2012, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » March 10th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Personally I don't like TV Series / episodes to be included in a list exclusive for movies. But I'd go with whatever decision made by majority of our people.

serri

Post by serri » March 10th, 2012, 8:04 pm

I'm a bit inconsistent in how I rate movies I enjoyed ironically, but I don't think we're in any danger of me causing Bulworth to top the list or knocking Plan 9 out of contention, soooo...

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur6236262/ratings

Also, whenever I click other peoples ratings all I see are the films they've rated but with my own ratings. Is there something weird with my settings?

Pain

Post by Pain » March 10th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Pain

Post by Pain » March 10th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Serriform on Mar 10 2012, 01:04:29 PM wrote:I'm a bit inconsistent in how I rate movies I enjoyed ironically, but I don't think we're in any danger of me causing Bulworth to top the list or knocking Plan 9 out of contention, soooo...

Also, whenever I click other peoples ratings all I see are the films they've rated but with my own ratings. Is there something weird with my settings?
This can be solved by clicking any of the boxes on the right, like genres, then unchecking it again. You will see their ratings then.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 10th, 2012, 8:07 pm

tommy_leazaq on Mar 10 2012, 12:54:34 PM wrote:Personally I don't like TV Series / episodes to be included in a list exclusive for movies. But I'd go with whatever decision made by majority of our people.
I'm thinking maybe there could be an option on the results page where you could show/hide TV series...
Serriform on Mar 10 2012, 01:04:29 PM wrote:I'm a bit inconsistent in how I rate movies I enjoyed ironically, but I don't think we're in any danger of me causing Bulworth to top the list or knocking Plan 9 out of contention, soooo...

That's normal. When you export the list there's a column with that user's ratings.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 10th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Yeah, there's a problem with viewing other people's IMDb ratings at the moment. Doing anything in the filtering makes them show up again. Fecking IMDb :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

wuzzawuzz

Post by wuzzawuzz » March 10th, 2012, 8:24 pm

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur24056490/ratings

I don't rate TV shows or short films on IMDB

serri

Post by serri » March 10th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Thanks guys!

ormazd

Post by ormazd » March 10th, 2012, 8:48 pm

IMDB Ratings

Thanks!

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » March 11th, 2012, 1:28 am

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 11th, 2012, 1:54 am

1) As you can see, TV series/TV Episodes are currently included, yay or nay?
nay

2) Cut-off point for how many ratings an entry needs in order to be included in the results. This can be a number like 5 ratings or a percentage like 5% of voters.
I don't really understand this option? On the other movies list the minimum number of voters was four or five.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2012, 10:24 am

allisoncm on Mar 10 2012, 06:54:25 PM wrote:1) As you can see, TV series/TV Episodes are currently included, yay or nay?
nay

2) Cut-off point for how many ratings an entry needs in order to be included in the results. This can be a number like 5 ratings or a percentage like 5% of voters.
I don't really understand this option? On the other movies list the minimum number of voters was four or five.
If there's no cut-off point then the list is just going to be everyone's 10 star ratings, individual TV episodes, shorts, docus and other films only one person has rated and nobody wants to see a list like that so we need to settle on some number. In the screenshot only entries with 3 or more voters are shown so that the median and population standard deviation can be calculated, but 3 may be too low... I'll have to try different cut-offs and see what the results will look like. If the final list is dominated by entries with only 3 voters and very high ratings then it's too low, unless that's what you want to see.

By the way, and I didn't even think of this yesterday because I didn't think of this as an official thing, but do you want to see the list revealed like the Favorite Movies? The plan I had in mind was to just reveal the whole list at once, 10 hours from now, and perhaps keep updating it once a week, but if you want to see it revealed one by one then I'll reveal it one by one, but then I'll wait for more people to post their IMDb rating lists.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 11th, 2012, 10:37 am

How many lists have you got so far?

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2012, 10:48 am

mightysparks on Mar 11 2012, 04:37:05 AM wrote:How many lists have you got so far?
14 and I must say, with just minimum 3 votes required the results are very very exciting, certainly very different and less predictable than the favorite movies list, but there's way too many ties... Although that's because there's still too few lists so I'll probably wait for at least another week. If we don't get that many more lists then I'll just reveal the whole list at once.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » March 11th, 2012, 11:22 am

themagician on Mar 10 2012, 12:39:28 PM wrote:This was suggested by Crinderman in the iCM Board's Favorite Movies (2012 Edition) thread and it seemed like a fun idea so let's do this. I have an application that calculates the rating averages from IMDb rating lists, here's an example output with 3 lists that were submitted to that thread + my list:

The STD column is population standard deviation.

The more lists we get the more interesting the results will be! You can just post a link to your public IMDb rating history page in this thread or you can PM me a link if you don't want everyone to see your ratings. I won't look at the ratings or share them with anyone, I'll just download the CSV file and let the program do its thing, but if you send a link via PM then let me know whether you want to have your name included in the list of people who rated each film and whether you want your rating displayed.

There's an export feature hidden under the File menu so that the results can be exported e.g. in HTML format and viewed in a browser, which means we could make this even like a weekly thing where the list is updated e.g. every Sunday.

A few things though:

1) As you can see, TV series/TV Episodes are currently included, yay or nay?
I've always wondered do you work for ICM???

TheMadcapLaughs

Post by TheMadcapLaughs » March 11th, 2012, 11:25 am

themagician on Mar 11 2012, 04:24:49 AM wrote:
allisoncm on Mar 10 2012, 06:54:25 PM wrote:1) As you can see, TV series/TV Episodes are currently included, yay or nay?
nay

If there's no cut-off point then the list is just going to be everyone's 10 star ratings, individual TV episodes, shorts, docus and other films only one person has rated and nobody wants to see a list like that so we need to settle on some number. In the screenshot only entries with 3 or more voters are shown so that the median and population standard deviation can be calculated, but 3 may be too low... I'll have to try different cut-offs and see what the results will look like. If the final list is dominated by entries with only 3 voters and very high ratings then it's too low, unless that's what you want to see.

By the way, and I didn't even think of this yesterday because I didn't think of this as an official thing, but do you want to see the list revealed like the Favorite Movies? The plan I had in mind was to just reveal the whole list at once, 10 hours from now, and perhaps keep updating it once a week, but if you want to see it revealed one by one then I'll reveal it one by one, but then I'll wait for more people to post their IMDb rating lists.
Personally I think it would be cool to post two lists. One with a 3 vote minimum, but also one with no vote minimum. The former would be the more representative one, and the one we'd take quite a bit more seriously. The latter could cause other board members to go check out the films that only have one vote: who knows, they could well be great films that end up earning a place on the 3 vote minimum list once more people have seen them.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » March 11th, 2012, 11:56 am

I love the idea.
TV shows/episodes: nay. (but if that will be more work fpr you then I don't mind either way).

But still, I somehow don't like making my vote history public, so I'll send you a PM :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2012, 11:58 am

Nuclearplanet on Mar 11 2012, 05:22:37 AM wrote:I've always wondered do you work for ICM???
No O_o
TheMadcapLaughs on Mar 11 2012, 05:25:10 AM wrote:Personally I think it would be cool to post two lists. One with a 3 vote minimum, but also one with no vote minimum. The former would be the more representative one, and the one we'd take quite a bit more seriously. The latter could cause other board members to go check out the films that only have one vote: who knows, they could well be great films that end up earning a place on the 3 vote minimum list once more people have seen them.
Sounds like a good idea! I'll post it after the other one has been revealed.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2012, 4:25 pm

With 17 lists submitted, two things have become apparent:

1) Only fans of TV series rate them. Well it's obvious if you look at any TV series IMDb page, but they have to go as they dominate the top of the list making it very uninteresting. I can post a separate list with just TV series though!

2) Ties... So many ties... There's currently an 8-way tie in top 10! And that's nothing compared to what's below. So we need to come up with a weighting system that breaks the ties. I'm thinking the Population Standard Deviation could be useful here. As a reminder: Low PSD = not much variance in the ratings, e.g. if PSD = 0 then everyone rated it the same. High PSD = lots of variance, it may have been rated 1/10, 6/10, 10/10 and anything in between.

Any suggestions?

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 11th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Yeah I vote for not including TV Series. I do vote for some of them though. Variance is okay. I don't know how to come up with those calculations, but if they're used, that's cool.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 11th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Yeah, I forgot about TV show mafia. A separate list would be interesting though (just to find new shows to check out etc).

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 11th, 2012, 4:34 pm

themagician on Mar 11 2012, 10:25:53 AM wrote:Any suggestions?
Use the imdb rating? Add imdb ratings as another user. This might be controversial but it would have minimal effect on films with a lot of votes and would also act as a natural balancer for films with too few votes. If this seems to wreak havoc with the list you could always give it a lesser weight, so imdb ratings count as half or a quarter vote.

TheMadcapLaughs

Post by TheMadcapLaughs » March 11th, 2012, 4:41 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 11 2012, 10:34:54 AM wrote:
Use the imdb rating? Add imdb ratings as another user. This might be controversial but it would have minimal effect on films with a lot of votes and would also act as a natural balancer for films with too few votes. If this seems to wreak havoc with the list you could always give it a lesser weight, so imdb ratings count as half or a quarter vote.
A better way of having a similar effect could be to put in a single dummy 5/10 vote with every film? You would then get a balancing effect, but wouldn't have to use the IMDb values (this is iCM Board's highest rated movies after all, not IMDb's).

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 11th, 2012, 4:49 pm

TheMadcapLaughs on Mar 11 2012, 10:41:16 AM wrote:
A better way of having a similar effect could be to put in a single dummy 5/10 vote with every film? You would then get a balancing effect, but wouldn't have to use the IMDb values (this is iCM Board's highest rated movies after all, not IMDb's).
This would still give you ties for films with the same number of votes, but sure, that could work. Don't use 5, though, use the overall mean of all the votes. I think this solution is better when the dataset is big enough, but my earlier solution is probably more effective with the current small dataset. Not having the data in front of me I can't really tell what variation would be more appropriate.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 11th, 2012, 5:06 pm

nay

1. Nay, though we could do an individual TV series list I suppose

2. I'm fine with either of those option. 5 ratings sounds good.

TheMadcapLaughs

Post by TheMadcapLaughs » March 11th, 2012, 5:31 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 11 2012, 10:49:48 AM wrote:
TheMadcapLaughs on Mar 11 2012, 10:41:16 AM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Mar 11 2012, 10:34:54 AM wrote:Use the imdb rating? Add imdb ratings as another user. This might be controversial but it would have minimal effect on films with a lot of votes and would also act as a natural balancer for films with too few votes. If this seems to wreak havoc with the list you could always give it a lesser weight, so imdb ratings count as half or a quarter vote.
This would still give you ties for films with the same number of votes, but sure, that could work. Don't use 5, though, use the overall mean of all the votes. I think this solution is better when the dataset is big enough, but my earlier solution is probably more effective with the current small dataset. Not having the data in front of me I can't really tell what variation would be more appropriate.
Yeah, the average of the dataset would be better actually.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Adding the IMDb rating as another user didn't help much at all regarding ties, but it did have a huge effect on the list, so that alone isn't a good thing to do. I also tried upping the minimum vote requirement, but the ties remain all the same, and the list became way more mainstream, although it's still full of surprises, even the top 10.

Maybe sorting the ties by PSD would be a start so that lowest PSD would be on top and then if there's cases (and there are) where rating and PSD are the same, it could be sorted by number of voters, so that the highest number of votes are on top. I'll try implementing that and see what kind of difference it makes.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 11th, 2012, 6:44 pm

themagician on Mar 11 2012, 12:31:29 PM wrote:
Adding the IMDb rating as another user didn't help much at all regarding ties, but it did have a huge effect on the list, so that alone isn't a good thing to do. I also tried upping the minimum vote requirement, but the ties remain all the same, and the list became way more mainstream, although it's still full of surprises, even the top 10.

Maybe sorting the ties by PSD would be a start so that lowest PSD would be on top and then if there's cases (and there are) where rating and PSD are the same, it could be sorted by number of voters, so that the highest number of votes are on top. I'll try implementing that and see what kind of difference it makes.
How about allowing ties, or just ranking them chronological/alphabetical?

NoodlesPupkin

Post by NoodlesPupkin » March 11th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Here's mine: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur15410497/ratings

I have no TV episodes rated (only a couple of shows, and all episodes/seasons seen).

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 11th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Crinderman on Mar 11 2012, 12:44:32 PM wrote:How about allowing ties, or just ranking them chronological/alphabetical?
I think the real problem is we don't have enough lists. I agree there's no problem with a few two or three way ties but I'm guessing with only 15 lists there are some 10 or 20 way ties which is a little awkward

karmacarroll

Post by karmacarroll » March 11th, 2012, 7:05 pm

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur24755816/ratings :)

There's a few TV shows rated, but I did them when I was quite young, and haven't been bothered to change them since.
Last edited by karmacarroll on March 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.