Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 54 released July 1st: The Disappointment That is Leos Carax' Annette)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: 1990s (Results), Germany (May 30th), 2021 (Jun 30th), New Zealand (Jul 3rd), Swan Songs (Jun 30th), 1962 (Jul 30th), Performers (Jul 31st), Unofficial Checks (Jul 31st)
Challenges: Canadian, Unofficial Movies, Personal Toplists
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Forum's Favorite Director's Swan Songs; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Forum's Favorite Director's Swan Songs; Nominations

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

iCM Forum's Favorite Director's Swan Songs
Nominations

About a year ago we chose our favorite directorial debut, cause everybody has to start somewhere. Alas everything also has to end at some point. So this time we're going to chose our favorite final movies directed by a director, i.e. favorite directorial swan songs.

Only director's final features are eligible for this poll!
The criteria for eligibility:
  • It has to be the final movie directed by a director, not the last one (posthumously) released.
  • Only feature movies of 40 minutes or more
  • The movie has to been publicly released (Although I think that's less on issue this time than with debuts.)
  • Tv movies, straight-to-video/streaming service movies are allowed
  • Co-directions are eligible
  • Anthology films (aka omnibus film) consisting of segments by different directors are not eligible
A feature can be the final one, because well the director has deceased :rip: or retired. In the former it at least easy to determine a director won't be making more films anymore, although which one is the final that should be eligible for this can be difficult still to determine. For retired directors it's a bit harder, cause too often directors come back after announcing their retirement, see Soderbergh or Miyazaki. Even so some directors have definitely retired, so those are also eligible. It's just harder to determine when a director has, but I'm sure we can do so together.

Some help:
Based on Ferge's spreadsheet for the debut poll and using above criteria I made this extensive, but far from complete master list spreadsheet. With the help of gromit82 and RolandKirkSunglasses, who provide a lot of input; THANKS! :worship: :thumbsup:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Legenda: Marked Red are directors that are still active. Green ones that have died and orange that have (most probably) retired. Orange movies are ones I'm not completely sure about

The master list on
:imdb:: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls560861521/
:ICM: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/dire ... ewolf2003/

You can all help in compiling this list further! You can help by either commenting in the spreadsheet or by making a post here, preferably with the full name of the director, movie title and IMDb link. You can also post your own IMDb or ICM List of course, I will check those periodically for missing movies. As you all hopefully understand it will take me too much time and effort to check close to 4700 directors by myself alone. Of course please also let me know if I made any mistakes in the list or anybody is missing. I mostly used IMDb as a source, but we all know that's not always infallible. Your help is of course much appreciated!

If you are unsure if a movie is eligible or think it is debatable as being the final feature, don't feel afraid to ask. In fact I strongly encourage discussions to constantly improve the list of eligible titles.

DEADLINE = 15 July 2022
(Yes this is some time from now, but I will be on holiday the first two week of July so won't be able to process and post the result than anyhow. And this poll probably can benefit from running a little longer than usual)

• IMDb- or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
Participants (18)
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me. Don't edit your post, but make a new post or notify me when you changed your ranking method or the link.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on July 3rd, 2022, 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/trav ... versetown/

Only included dead directors for now, but open to including more once I see other people's lists and they are approved as valid.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565358869/

Prove me wrong, Shane! I dare you! I double-dare you, motherfucker!
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Films I included that aren't in the spreadsheet

Gett - One of the directors (and star, Ronit Elkabetz) died of cancer shortly after this was released, and it's their last feature-length credit.
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead - Tom Stoppard is alive, but he's over 80 and hasn't directed any other film in his career. I don't know that he's stated that he never would, but it seems pretty safe to assume this will be his last (and only) film as a director.
Idi i smotri - Surprised this has been overlooked as it's quite the forum favorite. Have I missed something? Klimov is dead and this is his last credit on IMDB.

Since I see a few old-school Disneys in there but no Fantasia, I assume someone did the due diligence on that one?

My list (top 10 ranked, rest unranked)
Last edited by Teproc on June 6th, 2022, 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Perception de Ambiguity wrote: June 6th, 2022, 9:40 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565358869/

Prove me wrong, Shane! I dare you! I double-dare you, motherfucker!
:lol:

But seriously, I don't want to turn this in a whole discussion (again) on cancel culture, just that anybody whose career is stopped because of a scandal I don't consider to be retired for ever. Even if they are found guilty (and I mean "if" in the sense anybody is innocent until proven guilty in the strict juridical sense, cause Shane def seems guilty at this point). This is also not meant as as judgement and take a stance on this, some people will feel that anybody being guilty of abuse, etc should never be allowed to work in the industry again and others might feel a person deserve a second change after serving their punishment or maybe someone returns to filmmaking because the film industry memory is short and morals change, either way nobody knows for sure now an accused or guilty filmmaker will never make a movie again. Unless they themselves have said they are retiring from moviemaking, and even that I find hard to take as granted.

This is all just a longwinded way to say I don't consider Upstream Color eligible.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Couple of suggestions/quibbles/corrections/additions/whatever -

Ebrahim Golestan's The Ghost Valley's Treasure Mysteries (1974) is his 2nd and last feature to date; as he will be turning 100 this year I really doubt he'll be coming out of retirement after 48 years, and it'll be on my list.

Another last film from a director long retired: 96-year-old Roger Corman's Frankenstein Unbound (1990). Corman unlike Golestan is (or was, quite recently) still working in the business, but only as a producer for over 30 years.

Josef von Sternberg's final released film was Jet Pilot, but that film was made in 1949-50 - there was some post-production work done by other directors, but Sternberg was off the project in 1950, after which he made Anatahan (1953), which IMO is more correctly to be considered his last film, though Jet Pilot was released 4 years later, mostly because of billionaire fuckhole Howard Hughes' incessant meddling.

Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible Part II has to be considered his last feature, no?

Gábor Bódy's The Dog's Night Song (1983) was his last.

We Spin Around the Night Consumed by Fire, the last film from Guy Debord.

Witchfinder General AKA The Conqueror Worm (1968) is Michael Reeves' last film. Surprised he got missed in this horror-heavy forum.

Path of Cessation (1974) appears to be Robert Fulton's 2nd, and last, feature-length film.

Mburucuyá, cuadros de la naturaleza (1991), Jorge Acha's last film.

I'm personally avoiding films that are the only works of their directors but I'm sure not everybody is so -

Borderline (1930) is Kenneth MacPherson's only film as director.
The Lost Moment (1947) is Martin Gabel's only film as director.
Dadetown (1995) is Russ Hexter's only film.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Teproc wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:15 pm Films I included that aren't in the spreadsheet

Gett - One of the directors (and star, Ronit Elkabetz) died of cancer shortly after this was released, and it's their last feature-length credit.
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead - Tom Stoppard is alive, but he's over 80 and hasn't directed any other film in his career. I don't know that he's stated that he never would, but it seems pretty safe to assume this will be his last (and only) film as a director.
Idi i smotri - Surprised this has been overlooked as it's quite the forum favorite. Have I missed something? Klimov is dead and this is his last credit on IMDB.

Since I see a few old-school Disneys in there but no Fantasia, I assume someone did the due diligence on that one?

My list (top 10 ranked, rest unranked)
Thanks. I went very randomly through the list, that's why I probably missed Klimov (and many others well known still).

Also I wouldn't assume someone did the due diligence Fantasia. The problem with Fantasia and my doubt if it can considered is that it is very much an anthology movie and can't be considered anybody's work as a whole.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

OldAle1 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:27 pm Couple of suggestions/quibbles/corrections/additions/whatever -

Ebrahim Golestan's The Ghost Valley's Treasure Mysteries (1974) is his 2nd and last feature to date; as he will be turning 100 this year I really doubt he'll be coming out of retirement after 48 years, and it'll be on my list.

Another last film from a director long retired: 96-year-old Roger Corman's Frankenstein Unbound (1990). Corman unlike Golestan is (or was, quite recently) still working in the business, but only as a producer for over 30 years.

Thanks also. I will process it all later. But want to say a quick work about this before I go to bed. Cause it's a good example of considering somebody retired. Yes, somebody like Golestan who's very very very old and made his last movie decades ago we can safely consider retired. Corman is a bit more iffy, cause like you said he is (or was, quite recently) still working in the industry. But at 96 it is indeed probably save to assume he won't get bitten by the bug to direct himself anymore either.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:33 pm
OldAle1 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:27 pm Couple of suggestions/quibbles/corrections/additions/whatever -

Thanks also. I will process it all later. But want to say a quick work about this before I go to bed. Cause it's a good example of considering somebody retired. Yes, somebody like Golestan who's very very very old and made his last movie decades ago we can safely consider retired. Corman is a bit more iffy, cause like you said he is (or was, quite recently) still working in the industry. But at 96 it is indeed probably save to assume he won't get bitten by the bug to direct himself anymore either.
Yeah I'm definitely not considering voting for any living person under 85-90, and even in those cases they'd have to have been "retired" for a good long time. You guys do have Peter Watkins listed for example - he's 86 and his last film is from 2000. Probably safe but... a little iffy.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

Here's the current version of my list (ranked):

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565102884/
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Here's my list in progress, I started with the movies from the IMDb list but I'm now going through my movies to find out what I can. Anything I find I'm leaving the IMDb link as a comment on the spreadsheet for double checking/adding to the data. I will have movies in my list though that will need double checking since the director doesn't appear in the list of names in the spreadsheet.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+t ... gs/zzzorf/
Last edited by zzzorf on June 11th, 2022, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Sticking with the precedent of Upstream Color, I assume this means the directors must be either deceased or have announced their retirement (without any apparent comeback plans) to be eligible for this poll? As opposed to just the most recently released movie by directors who are alive and may or may not still be active.
ICM Forum Challenge winner: 2020 Crime, 2021 UK/Ireland
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Too lazy to do any research into this so just using the provided IMDb list to make mine: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565600490/. Ranked.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | Letterboxd | Linktree | TSZDT

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

AB537 wrote: June 11th, 2022, 2:24 am Sticking with the precedent of Upstream Color, I assume this means the directors must be either deceased or have announced their retirement (without any apparent comeback plans) to be eligible for this poll? As opposed to just the most recently released movie by directors who are alive and may or may not still be active.
Yes it should be (almost) definitely their last movie.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

My list, based solely on the master list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565606045/
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

These are some ones that I want to vote for, they are not on the master, did I understand the game correctly?

Gandahar (1988 - René Laloux) - seems clearly to be the director's last feature? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095525/
Limite (1931 - Mario Peixoto) - director only made one movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022080/
Die Parallelstrasse / The Parallel Street (1962 - Ferdinand Khittl) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0924263/
Another Sky (1954 - Gavin Lambert) one and done for Gavin https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278308/
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: June 11th, 2022, 9:09 am
AB537 wrote: June 11th, 2022, 2:24 am Sticking with the precedent of Upstream Color, I assume this means the directors must be either deceased or have announced their retirement (without any apparent comeback plans) to be eligible for this poll? As opposed to just the most recently released movie by directors who are alive and may or may not still be active.
Yes it should be (almost) definitely their last movie.
Thanks, that seems reasonable.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

:run: STILL the Gaffer!
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

I watched Truffaut's Finally Sunday for this poll. A really strange one! A lot of it just seemed to be an excuse for Truffaut to dress his partner up as a prostitute and take an ogle. There are some venomous anti cinema moments, a miscast Trintignant spends a lot of the movie in a room seeing the world through a small distorted window, which seemed to be a metaphor for watching the movies. Children play football with a camera lens in an eff you to the art of photography. Did Truffaut know he was dying when he made this film, I can't tell. The movie seems to be caught somewhere between being a lampoon and an homage to Freddy Hitch. The plot is ludicrous but Truffaut didn't obtain the exemption certificate that films like North by Northwest get for this criticism.
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

ICM Poll: Last But Not Least

Two films are not yet on the master list:
  • Jean Girault - Le Gendarme et les gendarmettes
  • James Parrott - Pardon Us
I'm not sure if Pardon Us is eligible. It's Parrott's final feature film, but he directed lots of shorts after that.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Caracortada wrote: June 13th, 2022, 8:52 pm ICM Poll: Last But Not Least

Two films are not yet on the master list:
  • Jean Girault - Le Gendarme et les gendarmettes
  • James Parrott - Pardon Us
I'm not sure if Pardon Us is eligible. It's Parrott's final feature film, but he directed lots of shorts after that.
Yes it is eligible. The last feature is eligible, even if a director made non-features (shorts, tv series, etc) after that.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

:ICM: icm - :letbxd: letterboxd - :imdb: imdb

Challenges in July
Image -> 325/500
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

I saw the director's cut of The Osterman Weekend from Peckinpah last night. Definitely have to see the director's cut as the best scene by far is the first scene, which the studio removed. Fantastic hallucinatory movie that is oddly very relevant in 2022 given the political situation.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Has anyone made an ICM list for eligible films?
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

AB537 wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 2:53 am Has anyone made an ICM list for eligible films?
I just created one from the eligible films listed in Lonewolf's spreadsheet:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/elig ... /gromit82/

I'm not guaranteeing that this will be kept up to date; please rely on Lonewolf's spreadsheet for the most recent updates.

Edited to add: Now that Lonewolf has prepared an ICM list (which has 667 films compared to 561 on my list), I have deleted my ICM list as no longer being needed.
Last edited by gromit82 on June 25th, 2022, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

gromit82 wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 4:29 am
AB537 wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 2:53 am Has anyone made an ICM list for eligible films?
I just created one from the eligible films listed in Lonewolf's spreadsheet:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/elig ... /gromit82/

I'm not guaranteeing that this will be kept up to date; please rely on Lonewolf's spreadsheet for the most recent updates.
Thanks - this will make my submission a lot easier!
AB537

Post by AB537 »

A relatively short ranked list from me: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ab53 ... ngs/ab537/

Had hoped to watch a couple more during the TSPDT challenge but looks like it won't happen.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

matthewscott8 wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:33 am These are some ones that I want to vote for, they are not on the master, did I understand the game correctly?

Gandahar (1988 - René Laloux) - seems clearly to be the director's last feature? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095525/
Limite (1931 - Mario Peixoto) - director only made one movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022080/
Die Parallelstrasse / The Parallel Street (1962 - Ferdinand Khittl) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0924263/
Another Sky (1954 - Gavin Lambert) one and done for Gavin https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278308/
Yes, you understand the game fine. The master list is far from complete at the moment. Thanks for adding these. Please mention any others you thinks are missing still.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I updated the OP. And the master list. Thanks all who made contributions to it :worship:
I also added an iCM list too now in the OP.

I compared the voted movies with the master list. These are ineligible (unless there is a good reason with sources that they should be eligible):

Monanieba Tengiz Abuladze > I have Khadzhi Murat as the final movie
White Heat Raoul Walsh > I have A Distant Trumpet as the final movie
Spring Night Summer Night Joseph L. Anderson > I have America First as the final movie
The Battle of the Somme Geoffrey Malins > I have London Melody as the final movie
The Moon and the Sledgehammer Philip Trevelyan > I have K.491... In Preparation as the final movie
Mortel transfert Jean-Jacques Beineix > I have Les Gaulois au-delà du mythe as the final movie
Le roi et l'oiseau Paul Grimault > I have La table tournante as the final movie
Ravenous Antonia Bird > I have Off by Heart as the final movie
Le orme Luigi Bazzoni, Mario Fanelli > I have Roma Imago Urbis: Parte VI - Le gestat as the final movie for Bazonni and Mlada sila for Fanelli
Malatesta's Carnival of Blood Christopher Speeth > I have Eakins as the final movie
The Cool World Shirley Clarke > I have Ornette: Made in America as the final movie
Little Monsters Richard Greenberg > I have The Process as the final movie
Upstream Color Shane Carruth > Explained above
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: June 25th, 2022, 5:14 pm
Most of those you list make sense, but I wish we had more info on this one. IMDb just calls it a "TV movie" and has no run time listed - it could well be a short. So far I'm seeing very little info on it anywhere; it'd be nice to be able to confirm that it is in fact feature-length and was in fact made/released after Repentance which otherwise I think would get a fair number of votes.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

OldAle1 wrote: June 25th, 2022, 5:42 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: June 25th, 2022, 5:14 pm
Most of those you list make sense, but I wish we had more info on this one. IMDb just calls it a "TV movie" and has no run time listed - it could well be a short. So far I'm seeing very little info on it anywhere; it'd be nice to be able to confirm that it is in fact feature-length and was in fact made/released after Repentance which otherwise I think would get a fair number of votes.
I wish so too. I tried finding more info about it too, but alas can't. (The few other sites that do mention it seem to be copying IMDb themselves). I'm on the fence about it.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Ranked. Just threw this together in like thirty minutes. Wanted to get to No Home Movie and Obscure Object of Desire before the deadline, but that probably isn't happening.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565998332/
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

I've thrown together a quick list (ranked), probably should have put more thought into this!

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565987652/
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Hi there Lonewolf!

A brief list from me:

1-3 ranked; the rest unranked
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls565857843/

I've been lazy and just used films that appear in the master-list. I'm afraid I wasn't really in the mood to do a lot of the investigation and digging required for a more exhaustive list.

:cheers:
That's all, folks!
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I updated the OP. And the master list. Thanks to gromit again for supplying all input :worship:

I'll be away until Thursday the 14th so won't be able to update this meanwhile.

I compared the voted movies with the master list. One new ineligible title (unless there is a good reason with sources that they should be eligible):
Goya's Ghosts (2006), Milos Forman > "Dobre placená procházka" is listed as his final movie in the master list.