Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

ICM Forum's Favourite Directors 2021: Due Mon Jan 10

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
pitchorneirda

ICM Forum's Favourite Directors 2021: Due Mon Jan 10

Post by pitchorneirda »

It's time to make out favourite directors list again. Submit an imdb list, or a list of imdb urls if you can't make an imdb list, with as many directors as you like. You have until end of day Monday Jan 10 to submit your lists.

Half life will be 29, like last year.

I will assume your list is ranked unless you specify otherwise.
Other than a ranked list you can submit your list in one of the following ways:
- Unranked: All directors get the same number of points.
- Partially ranked: Top X is ranked, rest is unranked
- Group ranked: You have to specify the groups that go together, all films in the group get the same number of points. (eg: 11-20, 21-30, 31-50, 51-100)

I want to try to be consistent with directorial teams so we'll pick a director to represent each pair, the first one alphabetically. If there are any pairs that I missed let me know and I'll update this list:

Coen Brothers: Ethan Coen
Powell & Pressburger: Michael Powell
Dardenne Brothers: Jean-Pierre Dardenne
Maysles Brothers:Albert Maysles
Huillet & Straub: Danièle Huillet
Wachowskis: Lana Wachowski
Farrelly Brothers: Bobby Farrelly
Duplass Brothers: Jay Duplass
Hughes Brothers: Albert Hughes
Neveldine & Taylor: Mark Neveldine
Quay Brothers: Stephen Quay
Taviani Brothers: Paolo Taviani
Yervant Gianikian & Angela Ricci Lucchi:Yervant Gianikian
Margarida Cordeiro & António Reis: Margarida Cordeiro
Geronimi, Jackson, & Luske: Clyde Geronimi
Trousdale & Wise: Gary Trousdale
Clements & Musker: Ron Clements
Dayton & Faris: Jonathan Dayton
DeBlois & Sanders Dean DeBlois
Gilliam & Jones Terry Gilliam
Weitz Brothers Chris Weitz
Nicole Rittenmeyer & Seth Skundrick - Nicole Rittenmeyer
Ben Hecht, Charles MacArthur & Lee Garmes (optional)- Ben Hecht
Wilhelm Hein & Birgit Hein - Birgit Hein
Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani - Hélène Cattet
Lucien Castaing-Taylor & Verena Paravel - Lucien Castaing-Taylor
Lucas Leyva & Jillian Mayer - Lucas Leyva
Phil Lord & Christopher Miller - Phil Lord

Previous years' Top directors:
Dec 2020
Dec 2019
Dec 2018
Dec 2017
Dec2016
Dec 2015
Dec2014
Dec 2013
Dec 2012
Dec 2011
A couple of other directors lists to look at: From the book 501 Directors
From TSPDT: Top 250 Directors

Lists:
49 participants
Last edited by pitchorneirda on January 11th, 2022, 3:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I'll just re-use my unedited "Top 50 Directors" from 2020 (and ongoing), which is in fact a Top 60.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055577708/
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

My list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000238472/

Note, the ratings are a little outdated.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

St. Gloede wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:29 pm Note, the ratings are a little outdated.
Especially for Bresson :think:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I don't think I'll try to make time to update my list, so this'll have to do.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls047031687/
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

Now that Joel Coen is directing films without his brother, I think it makes more sense to have him be the representative Coen brother.
DudeLanez

Post by DudeLanez »

:ICM: icm - :letbxd: letterboxd - :imdb: imdb
Challenges in May
Image -> 60/104
Image -> 52/104
Image -> 90/100
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

pitchorneirda wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:15 pm I want to try to be consistent with directorial teams so we'll pick a director to represent each pair, the first one alphabetically. If there are any pairs that I missed let me know and I'll update this list:
Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead
Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado
Fernando Meirelles & Kátia Lund
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027736571/

(alternatively here is the :letbxd: version for potentially greater and prettier browsing pleasure)
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I'll likely participate next year, i don't feel confident enough to justify making a list for this edition. I haven't seen enough from many directors I do like. Listing your favourite movies is easier than listing favourite directors if you have seen just over 1000 movies. But i'll follow the results.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls573626659/

Top 23 ranked, rest unranked
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

matthewscott8 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 11:29 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls573647451/
I forbid you to hang out with that Perecption de Ambiguity chap! That no-good jester seems to be a bad influence on you.
PS:
No disclaimer to discount the male portions of directorial teams and to count them not as teams but as individual women directors? How inconsequent of you.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Torgo wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:41 pm
St. Gloede wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:29 pm Note, the ratings are a little outdated.
:lol:

Yeah, Bresson shot into my top 100 when I rewatched his filmography last year (before that I had not been able to connect with half his films, now all are at 8+). The directors added over the last 1-2 years don't have ratings yet. I should sit down and do it when I have time.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

St. Gloede wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 8:34 am

Yeah, Bresson shot into my top 100 when I rewatched his filmography last year (before that I had not been able to connect with half his films, now all are at 8+). The directors added over the last 1-2 years don't have ratings yet. I should sit down and do it when I have time.
I've been on a journey with Bresson, I found his stuff completely opaque at the start but then got into it. However my view is now, that like many miserablist directors (Tarr and Tarkovsky are two others, but most miserablists seem to have it as a go to lever), he seems to be self important enough to believe that animal torture is fine for his movies. Admittedly in Balthazar it's somewhat paradoxical as he tortures the donkey in order to inspire compassion for it but he does it in Mouchette too.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

matthewscott8 wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 11:52 am

I've been on a journey with Bresson, I found his stuff completely opaque at the start but then got into it. However my view is now, that like many miserablist directors (Tarr and Tarkovsky are two others, but most miserablists seem to have it as a go to lever), he seems to be self important enough to believe that animal torture is fine for his movies. Admittedly in Balthazar it's somewhat paradoxical as he tortures the donkey in order to inspire compassion for it but he does it in Mouchette too.
Morality involving the production of films rarely enter into how I view films luckily - if that ever happens I think a lot of my favourite films would be in trouble.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

St. Gloede wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 12:15 pm
matthewscott8 wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 11:52 am

Morality involving the production of films rarely enter into how I view films luckily - if that ever happens I think a lot of my favourite films would be in trouble.
main losses from my top list were Heaven's Gate, The Wild Bunch and Andrei Rublev. I didn't fully realize at the time, but journey towards veganism has been happening for about four years and removing those films was part of it. Still have some questionable ones around, but for example watching half an hour of Death Laid an Egg a couple of years back made me stop eating eggs for a week, given it's overall effect is to promote veganism, I kept it on. Also Roselyne et les Lions is just unclassifiable for me. Like I don't believe in caging lions, but it's certainly not archetypal as an issue.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

I don't know if it make sense to do a Top300 with a half life of 29... but anyway:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091893654/
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082649719/

Mostly the same methodology as last year: My ranking is done purely statistics based. I took my ratings for all movies by directors of which I've seen at least 5 movies and calculated the average rating. However, this punishes directors I took the effort to watch complete filmographies, since their duds drag the average down. So, the final score is calculated by the following z-score based formula:

score = mean(rating) + (# films - mean(# films) / 4 * standard_dev(# films))

Cut-off is 7.00

This is year I decided to make the cutoff for female directors of at least 3 (instead of 5) movies seen and calculating the Standerd_dev and average separately to reflect the traditionally fewer opportunities they receive(d) and to have more representation in my list. I have 15 female directors now instead of 5 without this preferential treatment, which is still low.
tobias

Post by tobias »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053073641

Highest climbers compared to last year:
- Dominik Graf (shot up over 100 spots and is now in the top 15)
- Jacques Tourneur
- Maurice Pialat
- Olivier Assayas
- Lucio Fulci
- Chris Marker
- Jean Eustache
- Josef von Sternberg
- FF Coppola
- Louis Feuillade
- Abbas Kiarostami
- John Cassavetes
- Mariano Llinás
- Kelly Reichardt
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Gorro wrote: December 18th, 2021, 3:01 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082649719/

Mostly the same methodology as last year: My ranking is done purely statistics based. I took my ratings for all movies by directors of which I've seen at least 5 movies and calculated the average rating. However, this punishes directors I took the effort to watch complete filmographies, since their duds drag the average down. So, the final score is calculated by the following z-score based formula:

score = mean(rating) + (# films - mean(# films) / 4 * standard_dev(# films))

Cut-off is 7.00

This is year I decided to make the cutoff for female directors of at least 3 (instead of 5) movies seen and calculating the Standerd_dev and average separately to reflect the traditionally fewer opportunities they receive(d) and to have more representation in my list. I have 15 female directors now instead of 5 without this preferential treatment, which is still low.
Interesting that the top of the list looks like any other favorite directors list without this strict methodology. :sweat: (No offense - I like it very much, many of my very own top dogs there)
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

Torgo wrote: December 19th, 2021, 2:16 am
Gorro wrote: December 18th, 2021, 3:01 pm ...
Interesting that the top of the list looks like any other favorite directors list without this strict methodology. :sweat: (No offense - I like it very much, many of my very own top dogs there)
I'm planning to use a similar methodology for actors/actrices next year and the list looks a lot less traditional. Many actors/actrices I wouldn't think of to rank and others way higher or lower than I would rank them without such a methodology. For instance: Garret Dillahunt is the highest ranking American actor on that list currently at #26.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

perceval wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:56 am Ranked
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000032664/
Only 5 favorites listed for each, meh :|
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

1. Ki-Duk Kim
2. Sion Sono
3. Nicolas Winding Refn
4. Quentin Tarantino
5. Stanley Kubrick
6. Hayao Miyazaki
7. Felix Van Groeningen
Spoiler
I only included ones that i have seen a minimum of 5 films (as of now, might change that criteria next year) just to be sure, and i've been selective with those as well.
Last edited by Lakigigar on January 10th, 2022, 7:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
1SO

Post by 1SO »

Opio

Post by Opio »

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Thanks to those who already have submitted a list!

I'm at my parents' house for the week and don't have all my "tools" to tabulate the results so I'll extend the deadline to one week later:

New deadline January 10
AB537

Post by AB537 »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093507538/

1-50 ranked, 51-124 unranked.

Quite a few changes for me this year after barely revisiting my rankings last year, with general trends towards more recent and more international. These changes are mostly based on a mix of new viewings, rewatches, reevaluation of past viewings/directors' overall bodies of work and increased rigour against ranking films/directors primarily because other people think they're good. In general, I require a minimum of 3 viewings per director for inclusion, with occasional exceptions for directors where I've seen two and thoroughly enjoyed both, e.g. Lee Chang-dong, Pietro Germi, Mario Monicelli.

Newcomers: Kleber Mendonca Filho, Luca Guadagnino, Leos Carax, Claude Chabrol, Aki Kaurismaki, Kim Jee-woon, Andrzej Wajda

Notable rising directors: Guillermo del Toro, Francois Truffaut, Park Chan-wook, Alain Resnais, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Thomas Vinterberg, Andrey Zvyagintsev

Notable drops: Milos Forman, Sidney Lumet, Max Ophuls, Michael Curtiz

26 directors cut, with particular damage to classic Hollywood types. Sadly, this group also includes Charles Laughton, a superb actor whose sole directoral effort I rank among the all time great films, but who could not survive my revised list's more stringent administrative criteria.
Last edited by AB537 on December 29th, 2021, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICM Forum Challenge winner: 2020 Crime, 2021 UK/Ireland
Mochard

Post by Mochard »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls073099621/

I may have a play with how they are ranked as mine is purely statistics based but like Gorro said, it punishes the directors that you have seen more films by. I will try out Gorro's formula once my brain wakes up and see what it looks like.