Welcome to the ICM Forum.

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. If the main forum isn't loading correctly, try clearing browser cache. There appears to be an issue with board emails, this should only impact registration or account recovery. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy This might take a couple of days to fix.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 41 released November 15th: The ICMForum Film Festival: Main Slate & Highlights)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: 1946 (Results), USA (Nov 28th), Sport (Nov 30th)
Challenges: Noir, War, Argentina/Brazil/Py/Uy
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Forum's Favorite Sport Movies, 1rst Edition, Nomination

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Tim2460

iCM Forum's Favorite Sport Movies, 1rst Edition, Nomination

Post by Tim2460 »

iCM Forum's Favorite Sport Movies
1st Edition

Nominations

For the first time we're about to select the best Sport Movies here @ICM Forum.

Sport were always an part of cinema, let's try to extract the best part of it.
Both Fictionnal and Documentaries Sport Movies should be good, please avoid plain recording of the events as per se...
We'll discuss the sport-isness of your votes if needeed between the Poll hosts.

DEADLINE = 30 NOVEMBER 2021 midnight CET
  • Nominees must be Sporty in at least some way. The "Sport" IMDB Tag could be a hint... but we all know it's not enought or set every time.
  • IMDb- or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length above 10.
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *A mini-series is 16 episodes or less, not multiple seasons, and not planned to be longer but canceled, and is intended as a single unified work and not episodic.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course). I'll run scripts that detects dupes on your lists.
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
We'll see what list lenght we can get from the Poll posted... 100 150... up to 250 who knows. We'll see as well for the half-life... 50 being a good first guess for consistency between the polls.

Some help:

Sports Movies you reviewed
Participants (32)
NB Voter Mode URL Count
01 72aicm Ranked 1 72aicm(Ranked 1) 25
02 mightysparks Ranked mightysparks 15
03 Onderhond Ranked Onderhond 10
04 hurluberlu Ranked 8 hurluberlu(Ranked 8) 49
05 Gorro Ranked Gorro 98
06 Lilarcor Ranked Lilarcor 28
07 Teproc Ranked Teproc 8
08 Perception de Ambiguity Ranked Perception de Ambiguity 74
09 insomnius Ranked insomnius 50
10 TraverseTown Ranked TraverseTown 16
11 beasterne Ranked beasterne 52
12 gromit82 Ranked gromit82 36
13 Silga Ranked Silga 58
14 jvv UnRanked jvv(UnRanked) 47
15 Arkantos Ranked Arkantos 11
16 blocho UnRanked blocho(UnRanked) 43
17 russa03 Ranked russa03 12
18 zzzorf Ranked zzzorf 185
19 Lakigigar Ranked Lakigigar 14
20 Caracortada Ranked Caracortada 69
21 filmbantha Ranked filmbantha 30
22 gunnar Ranked gunnar 51
23 LaTierri Ranked LaTierri 20
24 Gordon_Gekko Ranked Gordon_Gekko 100
25 jeff_v Ranked jeff_v 83
26 Lammetje Ranked 2 Lammetje(Ranked 2) 26
27 3eyes UnRanked 3eyes(UnRanked) 31
28 outdoorcats Ranked outdoorcats 31
29 GruesomeTwosome Ranked GruesomeTwosome 20
30 Panunzio Ranked Panunzio 66
31 peeptoad Ranked peeptoad 17
32 Lonewolf2003 Ranked Lonewolf2003 18
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me. Don't edit your post, but make a new post or at least notify me of the edit in a new post.
Last edited by Tim2460 on November 22nd, 2021, 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/spor ... on/72aicm/

Work in progress. First title ranked, rest unranked.
Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

Whooo, go sports! :circle:

My estimation:
60% Boxing
20% Racing
15% American Football
5% All this other stuff ;)

Always wondering, why football, the most popular sport in the world has so less (good) films. Well maybe this poll will proof me wrong.
Btw if anybody uses this s-word I...
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Gordon_Gekko wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:44 am Whooo, go sports! :circle:

My estimation:
60% Boxing
20% Racing
15% American Football

Always wondering, why football, the most popular sport in the world has so less (good) films. Well maybe this poll will proof me wrong.
Probably right if you extend boxing to martial arts.
ImageImageImageImageImage
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

One of my least favourite things but at least I could put something together: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls552222408/. Curious about the results regardless.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best ... onderhond/ (ranked)

Gordon_Gekko wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:44 am Always wondering, why football, the most popular sport in the world has so less (good) films. Well maybe this poll will proof me wrong.
There's always Shaolin Soccer :D

Most films with sports that feature longer matches suck though. It's hard to make these truly exciting in the span of 90-120 minutes, without having to resort to cheesy plot tricks.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

Gordon_Gekko wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:44 am
My guess would be that football isn't popular in the US, so the most dominant filmmaking country is hardly producing any.
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/gorr ... ist/gorro/ (Ranked)

Will be binging a bunch of sports movies before the deadline and update my list by then.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Gorro wrote: November 7th, 2021, 11:37 am
My guess would be that football isn't popular in the US, so the most dominant filmmaking country is hardly producing any.
That could indeed be part of the explanation. But the big European movie countries, (UK, France, Italy, Germany) with a huge football tradition also have produce very few noteworthy films about football.
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

Work in progress:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... /lilarcor/

Do sports/games such as chess and Go count?
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 12:06 pm
That could indeed be part of the explanation. But the big European movie countries, (UK, France, Italy, Germany) with a huge football tradition also have produce very few noteworthy films about football.
The big French films related to football I can think of would be Coup de tête (starring Patrick Dewaere, though it's more of a drama and it's small-town football), Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle (that documentary that follows Zidane around during a Real Madrid match) and Les yeux dans les bleus, a documentary about the 1998 World Cup. The only attempt I can remember at a big mainstream production trying to use football's popularity as a springboard for commercial cinéma was Fabien Onteniente's 3 zéros, which is reportedly terrible. It truly is baffling we've never got a fiction film about the 98 world cup or even about the Platini generation, feels like that would be instant commercial success even if it's only halfway-decent, but for some reason it just hasn't happened yet.

My (short) list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ts/teproc/
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Teproc wrote: November 7th, 2021, 1:42 pm

The big French films related to football I can think of would be Coup de tête (starring Patrick Dewaere, though it's more of a drama and it's small-town football), Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle (that documentary that follows Zidane around during a Real Madrid match) and Les yeux dans les bleus, a documentary about the 1998 World Cup. The only attempt I can remember at a big mainstream production trying to use football's popularity as a springboard for commercial cinéma was Fabien Onteniente's 3 zéros, which is reportedly terrible. It truly is baffling we've never got a fiction film about the 98 world cup or even about the Platini generation, feels like that would be instant commercial success even if it's only halfway-decent, but for some reason it just hasn't happened yet.

I guess you can’t get a better drama than the actual game on the playing field, no one is willing to compete with that.

They maybe could pull a thriller out of transfers market or the FIFA corruption scandale with Blatter and Platini.

And on the French side you forgot Didier ! A comedy but it says a lot about football business already.
Perception de Ambiguity
Location: Certified NPC, and inconsolably discontent about that fact.

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

[Blanked in lieu of deletion. The premise of this post was an incorrect assumption.]
Last edited by gromit82 on November 8th, 2021, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/trav ... versetown/ Ranked

Obviously not my interest area, although I definitely should watch more 80s and 90s lower budget sports movies because they always end up being fun.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

hurluberlu wrote: November 7th, 2021, 2:16 pm
Teproc wrote: November 7th, 2021, 1:42 pm

I guess you can’t get a better drama than the actual game on the playing field, no one is willing to compete with that.

They maybe could pull a thriller out of transfers market or the FIFA corruption scandale with Blatter and Platini.

And on the French side you forgot Didier ! A comedy but it says a lot about football business already.
From France, there's also the urban thriller 'À mort l'arbitre!' (1984, Jean-Pierre Mocky), about a referee chased and pursued by football hooligans after awarding a penalty against their team. I remember finding it rather a lurid and off-putting film, but it does make good use of the built-up locale.

'Rattle of a Simple Man' (1964) is a UK soccer pic I really liked, detailing as it did a northerner down in the big smoke for the cup final and his naive entanglements and interactions. Very charming and touchingly played, although the sport itself is more in the background here.
That's all, folks!
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:04 pm From France, there's also the urban thriller 'À mort l'arbitre!' (1984, Jean-Pierre Mocky), about a referee chased and pursued by football hooligans after awarding a penalty against their team. I remember finding it rather a lurid and off-putting film, but it does make good use of the built-up locale.
I might check that one out. Saw my first Mocky film (Solo) earlier this week and was very impressed.
:cheers:
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Lilarcor wrote: November 7th, 2021, 1:31 pm Do sports/games such as chess and Go count?
I added a couple of poker related films in my list.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Anyone adding Battle Royale?
RogerTheMovieManiac88

72aicm wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:18 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:04 pm From France, there's also the urban thriller 'À mort l'arbitre!' (1984, Jean-Pierre Mocky), about a referee chased and pursued by football hooligans after awarding a penalty against their team. I remember finding it rather a lurid and off-putting film, but it does make good use of the built-up locale.
I might check that one out. Saw my first Mocky film (Solo) earlier this week and was very impressed.
:cheers:
I was just reading Wikipedia about it to refresh my memory and it does appear to have became something of a cult film. The sense of threat and social unease is what I especially remember. I hope you find it worthwhile, should you see it.
That's all, folks!
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

72aicm wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:21 pm
Lilarcor wrote: November 7th, 2021, 1:31 pm Do sports/games such as chess and Go count?
I added a couple of poker related films in my list.
By definition, they should (although I, personally, may not like it). mighty's short list of 15 titles has The King of Kong at the top, for example.
[edit]Now IMDb has Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993) tagged as sport, but neither Pawn Sacrifice (2014) or The Queen's Gambit .. this is frustrating.
Onderhond wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm Anyone adding Battle Royale?
That'd be stretching it, I think. :sweat:

My favorite sport movies .. it's like asking me which procedures at the dentist I like the most :lol:
Last edited by Torgo on November 7th, 2021, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

As a matter of fact, I wanted to see at least one film dealing with every sport.

Side question: Do we include films about sports which don't exist in reality, such as Rollerball or Dodgeball??
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Gordon_Gekko wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:44 am Whooo, go sports! :circle:

My estimation:
60% Boxing
20% Racing
15% American Football
From my small list:

Football: 6 entries
Boxing: 4
Poker: 3
Racing: 2
Running: 2
Skateboard: 2
Horse racing: 1
Video gaming: 1
Bird training: 1
Basketball: 1
Pool: 1
Surfing: 1
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

It will also be interesting to see how many of the films are documentaries. It makes sense to me, because the best sports stories happen in real life. They are narratives that can build for decades or even lifetimes. The storytelling is an active event done by everyone around the world. So documenting those sporting events as they happened while adding the viewer's own emotional investment they bring to the story can elevate a documentary above a fictional narrative (or even a based-on-true-events film) that must be built from the ground up. Probably a phenomenon that's unique to sports films, I can't think of any other genre that would have so many documentaries present.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

72aicm wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:30 pm Bird training: 1
Is there something other than Kes (1970) that 3eyes and me should know about? :wub:
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Quick aside:

I just thought of another soccer one in the shape of Baadur Tsuladze's 'Peola' (1970). A really nice little short from Georgia around boys in youth football. Hopes, dreams, interests, everyday lives, and the older figures involved. The sense of excitement and energy in the stadium they visit is something that has stayed with me.
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on November 7th, 2021, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Torgo wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:33 pm
72aicm wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:30 pm Bird training: 1
Is there something other than Kes (1970) that 3eyes and me should know about? :wub:
Probably, but not on my list. :P
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

One of the films that comes up when I do an IMDb advanced search is Minding the Gap. The sport is skateboarding but... it's not really a "sport" in the film, if I'm remembering rightly. There's not really a competitive element - people skateboard a lot, but it's an activity rather than any kind of game or competition. I think that's kind of key - you can have a film where somebody runs a lot, but it's not a film where running is treated as a sport; just physical activity in a film doesn't = sport, at least not to my mind. Perhaps I'm overthinking it but I guess I feel like to call something a sport there has to be some implied competitive/game element.

Then again, I think there are going to be a lot of short lists for this poll, so perhaps we're best off not being too obsessive about strict rules? I guess I'd allow chess and card games myself though they don't seem to come up under the sports search and I think I'm too lazy to spend much time looking for lists of them. Anyway that's up to Tim.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Here is my list, ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

Running list of films that I'm voting for that are not tagged as sport on imdb, in case others find it useful. Thanks to everyone who included one of these on their list, which helped me locate them:

Kes
O.J. Made in America
Point Break
The Triplets of Belleville
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Mario Gaborović wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm As a matter of fact, I wanted to see at least one film dealing with every sport.
Really interested to track this in the final list. What is the highest ranking film for every sport?
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

A few more football films for your consideration:

Két félidö a pokolban / Two Half-Times in Hell (1961)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056160/reference

Die elf Teufel (1927)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349398/reference

I.D. (1995) about hooliganism
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113375/reference

and similar to the Zidane docu, but about George Best
Fußball wie noch nie (1971)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065753/reference
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

What a joyful mess ! tehe

Should we call it Sports and Games ?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

May I elaborate on the issue of the lack of socc popular football movies from Europe?
Gordon_Gekko wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:44 am Always wondering, why football, the most popular sport in the world has so less (good) films. Well maybe this poll will proof me wrong.
Of course Gorro has a point, but it doesn't explain, like Lonewolf says, how said countries have so little to offer for the sport they're CRAZY about, often probably even much more so than many Americans are about their sport of choice (I reckon the most popular are baseball, American football, basketball and ice hockey?). People sometimes dedicated their LIVES to supporter clubs and all that in the EU's football countries; and when you think about it, a few of the more popular movies are in fact about just that.
Gegengerade (2011) about Hamburg's FC St. Pauli is about the fan scene
Fußball ist unser Leben (2000) which translates to "football is our life" is a comedy about the figures of a supporters club (not even tagged as sport ..)
Deutschland. Ein Sommermärchen (2006) [Germany. A Summer's Tale] was an extremely popular documentary movie about the likely extremely popular and beloved World Cup in Germany 2006. Quoting Wikipedia: "As of end November 2006, circa four million people had seen the film in German theaters, making it the most commercially successful German documentary film. The film was shown on December 6, 2006 on German public TV channel ARD, and was viewed by more than 10 million people." This might be more about the team and the sport than the whole event and the fans (I guess), but then, it's only a doc.
United Passions (2014) about the FIFA organization is an oddity itself, even less about the matches. Enjoy the IMDb score and the look at the Metascore, LOL.

There are quite a few films from the UK, but again, think about how many of them are about hooligans, fan culture and that stuff. But how many deal with a phenomenal season of Liverpool or Leicester or the rise of an underdog team under a great trainer or the biggest sport stars of their nation? Not many. Bend it Like Beckham is by far the most successful of all titles I dropped here, but it's not about Beckham, it's not that much about playing the sport when you think about it. Hm.

So what is it that makes all the European countries make churn out tons of movies about WW2 and the holocaust or other political episodes of the 20th century and contemporary history and not the hobby they rave about so much? It is interesting.

Onderhond wrote: November 7th, 2021, 10:45 am Most films with sports that feature longer matches suck though. It's hard to make these truly exciting in the span of 90-120 minutes, without having to resort to cheesy plot tricks.
I won't basically disagree with that given my low opinion on sport movies :P (the most cliched and cheesy genres of them all), but that argument doesn't work fully, do you think? Why would the US films about American football and baseball, both not as dramatical, physical and quick as boxing, in theory work better than soccer or handball (is that even a thing over there, lol)? Those terrible US sport films amass 100,000s of votes on IMDb each and make a lot of money. Those are all team sports with many players and a central trainer figure. It doesn't add up why it would function so much more than movies about soccer. A reason could MAYBE be how these US sports have so many pauses in between, so that it's easier to cut and narrate. But there must be more to it.
Also re: longer matches - there are quite a pack of very popular films on racing sports, be it NASCAR or Formula, and there even with European figures (Rush). Those can take hours and they perform very well at the box office and even at the academy awards / reviews. Hm.

:think:

Disclaimer: I have no idea about football, it's nothing I trait as a hobby in any way.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Should be
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Onderhond wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm Anyone adding Battle Royale?
I think I'm going to vote for Harry Potter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch ... ife_sport)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Mario Gaborović wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm As a matter of fact, I wanted to see at least one film dealing with every sport.

Side question: Do we include films about sports which don't exist in reality, such as Rollerball or Dodgeball??
I'm pretty sure both of those actually exist. I think Rollerball is more commonly known as roller derby, and is/was big in the States. Dodgeball is one of the sports/games we played a lot in school growing up, and there are leagues around here people can join to play in.

I won't be including any chess/go/video gaming/etc. movies in my list - they just don't feel sporty enough for me to warrant their inclusion.
🧚‍♂️🦫