Welcome to the ICM Forum.

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. If the main forum isn't loading correctly, try clearing browser cache. There appears to be an issue with board emails, this should only impact registration or account recovery. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy This might take a couple of days to fix.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 42 released December 1st: Remakes That Are Better Than the Original)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: 1946 (Results), USA (Nov 28th), Sport (Nov 30th), Directors (Jan 3rd)
Challenges: Noir, War, Argentina/Brazil/Py/Uy
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Forum's Favourite Western Movies, 2nd edition; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Forum's Favourite Western Movies, 2nd edition; Nominations

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

:cowbow: iCM Forum's Favourite Western Movies :cowbow:
2nd Edition

Nominations

Howdy pardners, it's time to get off our horses, settle down in the saloon with some bourbon and decide which are our favorite Westerns, again.

There are no set rules for which movies are admissible and which are not, neither will I try to define the Western genre. If you feel a movie is eligible (and good enough of course to include in your list) than you can include it. When in doubt about a movie you can ask about it here. But I will keep the right to deem movies ineligible when I consider it to stretch the genre definition too far after consultation with others.

DEADLINE = 30 JULY 2021
  • IMDb- or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *A mini-series is 16 episodes or less, not multiple seasons, and not planned to be longer but canceled, and is intended as a single unified work and not episodic.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
Some help:
Westerns you rated on IMDb
Westerns you rated in a IMDb list (replace X with the list id)
(Keep in mind to not purely just depend on IMDb tags when making your list, but to evaluate if you consider a movie to be a Western)

List length last time was 200 and half-life 50, which it will be probably be again.
Last edition:

2016 :ICM: Top 200
:imdb: Top 200
:ICM: Complete List
:imdb: Complete List
Results Thread Nominations Thread

Participating Cowboys (45)
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me. Don't edit your post, but make a new post or at least notify me of the edit in a new post.
:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on July 31st, 2021, 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Perception de Ambiguity
Location: Certified NPC, and inconsolably discontent about that fact.

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Not one of my strong genres but here is my ranked list as per my Flickchart. Will be about a top 100 when I have it finished https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+t ... es/zzzorf/
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Somebody PM'ing Kasparius or contact him otherhow if he wants to hand in his old list? Even without an update since half a decade, it - containing 400 well-chosen western films out of thousands - should be .. suffice for our poll. :mellow:

Yeah you know, it's not the same without his top vote for Grey Fox.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Torgo wrote: ↑July 8th, 2021, 4:10 am Somebody PM'ing Kasparius or contact him otherhow if he wants to hand in his old list? Even without an update since half a decade, it - containing 400 well-chosen western films out of thousands - should be .. suffice for our poll. :mellow:

Yeah you know, it's not the same without his top vote for Grey Fox.
No, don't. He's not a member of this community anymore. What's the point of asking then. :shrug:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls057024404/ Apparently I haven't seen a single good enough western to add to my list since 2016 lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls063749090/

I don't think I've seen any good westerns since 2016, so there's nothing to update.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

Usually I trust the imdb tags and don't dig further. But Brokeback Mountain somehow isn't tagged as a Western, so I would have missed it if I hadn't searched for it and added it to my list manually.
connordenney
Donator

Post by connordenney »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls505483534/

Top 33 ranked, remainder unranked
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

beasterne wrote: ↑July 8th, 2021, 1:31 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

Usually I trust the imdb tags and don't dig further. But Brokeback Mountain somehow isn't tagged as a Western, so I would have missed it if I hadn't searched for it and added it to my list manually.
I love Brokeback Mountain, but it doesn't feel western enough to make my list. Otherwise, it'd be my #1 film by a wide margin. It did make the Top 200 last time, though, so you could also check that list for other films you might have missed. Looks like a handful of the Top 200 don't have the "western" tag on icm/imdb. Plus some others that I wouldn't personally consider to be westerns.
πŸ§šβ€β™‚οΈπŸ¦«
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Fergenaprido wrote: ↑July 8th, 2021, 10:01 pm
beasterne wrote: ↑July 8th, 2021, 1:31 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

I love Brokeback Mountain, but it doesn't feel western enough to make my list. Otherwise, it'd be my #1 film by a wide margin. It did make the Top 200 last time, though, so you could also check that list for other films you might have missed. Looks like a handful of the Top 200 don't have the "western" tag on icm/imdb. Plus some others that I wouldn't personally consider to be westerns.
I'm still working on my list - it's at 135, it will probably finish with 150-160 - and currently there are only a couple of "modern"-set (post-1920 in my personal thinking) westerns on the list. I don't have No Country for Old Men (which would rank highly) or Lonely Are the Brave, Hud (which might or might not make it if I thought they fit) or Brokeback Mountain (which would be on the list, somewhere). I just have a hard time with contemporary examples personally - so much of what "western" means to me involves settlement, exploration, conflicts with natives or bandits, the mythos of the gunslinger, the wild and untamed vs the ordered and civilized - and modern westerns just have very little if any of that except *maybe* the last category. Guys on horses and rodeos just aren't automatically a western to me I guess, though now that I think about it, I don't know entirely how I developed my own prejudices in this area. It'd be good to read a strong defense of the neo-modern western, if anybody can make one - or has a link to one. I'm just not convinced right now myself.
1SO

Post by 1SO »

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

OldAle1 wrote: ↑July 8th, 2021, 10:21 pm It'd be good to read a strong defense of the neo-modern western, if anybody can make one - or has a link to one. I'm just not convinced right now myself.
I'll give it a shot. I'll quote two sections from my undergraduate honors thesis below. I wrote this 15 years ago, so I don't think it's particularly well-written (an over-reliance on quotations was a hallmark of my academic writing at the time), but it will do. If it's too long, I can summarize my point briefly: The Western is a form of national mythology that reveals how the United States defines itself. The "modern Western," despite traveling outside the conventional chronological boundaries of the genre, interact with and comment upon this mythology and so should be considered legitimate Westerns. (In other words, I define the genre conceptually or thematically rather than chronologically, geographically, or structurally.) For this reason and because they're damn good movies, I'll be including Hud, Lonely Are the Brave, and Brokeback Mountain in my list.

From the intro:
Westerns were popular because they appealed to the way that American viewed their nation's past. Historian Wayne Sarf claimed that the Western has "provided what has been termed our national epic, a substitute for an Iliad or Aeneid that serves as a young nation's heroic age and a reflection of that nation's value." These are accurate comparisons for they indicate the extent to which the Western was rooted in myth rather than literal history. Westerns are essential elements in what may be termed the American mythology - the stories that encapsulate what is idealistically considered the defining principles and dogma of this country. As Richard Slotkin, whose Gunfighter Nation is perhaps the most in-depth academic exploration of the Western genre, explained, "Myths are stories drawn from a society's history that have acquired through persistent usage the power of symbolizing that society's ideology and of dramatizing its moral consciousness." The mythological cachet of the Western stems from two seminal ideas in the history of the United States - Frederick Jackson Turner's Frontier Thesis and the doctrine of Manifest Destiny. In 1893, Turner presented an essay titled "The Significance of the Frontier in American History" to a conference of historians at the World's Columbian Exposition. The central idea of the paper, which was to become very famous and influential, was that the frontier promoted the growth of individualism, democracy, national identity, and American political institutions. Manifest Destiny, a term coined in the 1840s before the Mexican War, posited the United States' exceptionalism, and thus, its divine obligation to expand across the American continent, spreading democracy and freedom. This concept was famously immortalized in painter Emanuel Leutze's paean to pioneers, Westward the Course of Empire Takes Its Way, which showed a large group of settlers trekking across the rough Western landscape and pointing heroically to the sunlit lands beyond the Rockies. Taken together, these concepts established the West as a landscape of American ideals, a place that embodied all the positive and unique characteristics of the fledgling nation.
From the chapter on modern Westerns:
When Frederick Jackson Turner declared that the frontier had closed according to data drawn from the 1890 U.S. Census, he not only drew a boundary through the timeline of American history, but also one across the chronology of Westerns. With the exception of an occasional oddity like The Far Country, traditional Westerns were set for the most part between the end of the Civil War and 1890. The mythic individualism and dignity of the cowboy did not allow any of the classic Western stars like Tom Mix, Roy Rogers, or John Wayne to cross this latter date. If they rode into a dusty, desert town only to find telephone poles and automobiles, it would be too incompatible for audiences to accept.The gunslinger's mastery of Western skills and traits was limited both to a geographic section of the country and to one of its historical eras. How would the Western protagonist, armed with his trusty Colt Peacemaker, defeat the villains if they used modem technology like cars and machine guns? Traditional Westerns could not face such a question for their mise-en-scenes were too closely associated with a particular epoch. Thus, when Lonely Are the Brave and Hud, two modern-day Westerns, were released in the early 1960s, they provided a revisionist analysis of the genre's fundamental underpinnings. Philip French wrote, "Seen out of his time and place, the Western hero seems an incongruous figure. Depending on the dramatic use to which he may be put, he can be variously seen as vulnerable and pathetic or dangerous and anarchic, an upholder of cherished traditional values or the embodiment of outmoded ways which linger menacingly on, a challenge to modem conformity or the incarnation of a past that must be rejected." This description of chronologically transplanted cowboys was almost an exact depiction of the primary protagonists of Hud and Lonely Are the Brave: Hud Bannon, Homer Bannon, and Jack Burns. By presenting traditional cowboys in a modern, mechanized West, these movies juxtaposed cultural and historical understandings of America's past with its present. The result was two films that deconstructed the myth of the cowboy as a timeless figure of the nation's virtue and revealed his obsolescence in a more contemporary era.
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

arittake no yume (nikki) o kaki atsume & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies

:imdb: IMDb Revolutions :letbxd: exwordpress blue :ICM:
Wonderful Rainbow

Post by Wonderful Rainbow »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059381307/ ranked!

This is my feel-good genre for sure! Looking forward to unknown gems in the results. I thought I'd have a longer list, but it turns out I've seen a lot of sixes and weaker sevens over the years.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Wonderful Rainbow wrote: ↑July 12th, 2021, 5:17 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059381307/ ranked!
Not public dear 🌈
Wonderful Rainbow

Torgo wrote: ↑July 12th, 2021, 6:15 pm
Wonderful Rainbow wrote: ↑July 12th, 2021, 5:17 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059381307/ ranked!
Not public dear 🌈
Whoopsie!
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

My partly ranked* list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls034876416/

* 1-10 ranked, rest unranked
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Wonderful Rainbow

So which terribly underrated gem should we see in these last remaining days?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Wonderful Rainbow wrote: ↑July 26th, 2021, 11:24 am So which terribly underrated gem should we see in these last remaining days?
I will promote From Noon Till Three (1976), a deconstructionist romantic-comedy western with Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland, easily one of the most fascinating westerns of it's decade (or any decade really), still sorely underseen with less than 100 checks, on 0 official lists. I'll be seeing it again myself in the cinema on Friday and those lucky enough ( :lol: ) to live within a couple hours of Madison, WI should do the same - though it is readily accessible on BD in the USA and I'd imagine easy to find online in good quality. Definitely not a film for the hard-core traditionalists, but I don't think we have many of those here.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Wonderful Rainbow wrote: ↑July 26th, 2021, 11:24 am So which terribly underrated gem should we see in these last remaining days?
I would second From Noon Till Three. :thumbsup: Great film; great performances.

Some others that I would recommend that you may have missed: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/500d ... %3Awestern
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

And I will second sol's picks of Decision at Sundown and Buchanan Rides Alone - shit, practically every Randolph Scott postwar western is worth seeing and several more are worth promoting, but there are like 35 or 40 of them, and there aren't that many days left, are there? And these are two of the better ones that still don't get enough love. I also really like sol's pick of No Name on the Bullet; since finishing off all of Scott's available westerns, Audie Murphy has been the guy I'm slowly going through, and this is probably his best - Posse From Hell is the other major contender IMO.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I just watched Barbarosa last night. It was the last of Kasparius's Western of the Month films that I hadn't seen. I'd recommend that whole series (it was only 5 or 6 I think) of underseen westerns.

I'll watch one more spaghetti western then I'll submit my ballot.
πŸ§šβ€β™‚οΈπŸ¦«