Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1933 (Results), 1970s (May 29th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

iCM Forum's Favorite Coming of Age Movies; Results

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Such a weird list. I didn’t submit one because I found it too complicated and the final list has left me even more confused lol. I think I probably would’ve had Welcome to the Dollhouse, Ginger Snaps, Carrie and Nothing is Private as my only relatable coming of age films and then a few other cool ones that I like but don’t relate to. I guess this is really not a genre I gel with.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

I guess the boundaries of the genre are rather subjective - I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders "how is that a coming-of-age film?"

Anyway, thanks, Lonewolf.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

STATS

Decades

1950s8
1960s6
1970s10
1980s15
1990s14
2000s19
2010s28

Directors

Satyajit Ray3
Andrea Arnold
Greta Gerwig
Wes Anderson
Céline Sciamma
Lukas Moodysson
Terrence Malick
Sion Sono
Hayao Miyazaki
Steven Spielberg
a bunch of directors that came of age
François Truffaut
Richard Linklater
Carlos Saura
Ingmar Bergman
Bo Burnham
Ken Loach
Peter Bogdanovich
Gregg Araki
Kátia Lund, Fernando Meirelles
Uli Edel
Jaromil Jires
Elem Klimov
Brian De Palma
Barry Jenkins
Rob Reiner
Luis Buñuel
Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi
Haifaa Al-Mansour
Cameron Crowe
Edward Yang
Hal Ashby
Víctor Erice
Xavier Dolan
Abdellatif Kechiche
Mark Waters
Mathieu Kassovitz
Nicholas Ray
Larry Clark
René Clément
Deniz Gamze Ergüven
Nicolas Roeg
John Hughes
Luca Guadagnino
Harmony Korine
David Lynch
Jerzy Skolimowski
Wen Jiang
Stephen Chbosky
Pete Docter
Ronnie Del Carmen
Terry Zwigoff
Richard Kelly
Elia Kazan
Louis Malle
Milos Forman
Mike Nichols
Éric Rohmer
Akiz
Gus Van Sant
Robert Altman
Lucile Hadzihalilovic
John Guillermin
Jeff Nichols
Sean Baker
Tomas Alfredson
Charles Laughton
Shane Meadows
Andrey Zvyagintsev
Todd Solondz
Kelly Fremon Craig
Hiromasa Yonebayashi
Yoshifumi Kondô
Dietrich Brüggemann
Bill Forsyth
Gakuryû Ishii
John Carney
Ermanno Olmi
Alfonso Cuarón
Lasse Hallström
Isao Takahata
Michael Lehmann
Jean-Marc Vallée
Chan-wook Park
Kazuya Tsurumaki
Hideaki Anno
Lynne Ramsay
Katsuhiro Ôtomo
Sofia Coppola
Julia Ducournau
Tim Hunter
Jason Reitman
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

That it's a very subjective theme might also show in the fact that 586 of all 970 movies only got 1 vote.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ok, so who voted for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button :lol:
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Torgo wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:06 pm Ok, so who voted for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button :lol:
Panunzio
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Thanks lonewolf!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Seen: 72/100 (72.00%)
Highest unchecked: Cría cuervos (#3)
Number of favorites: 16/72 (22.22%)
Highest favorite: Mysterious Skin (#9)
Number of dislikes: 12/72 (16.67%)
Highest dislike: Fanny och Alexander (#4)
Unofficial films: 3/100 (3.00%)

Interestingly enough, I have 16 favorites in the list, but only voted for 2. Wouldn't recommend this list to anybody looking for good coming of age films, but as a random list of films, it'sn not all that bad.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

seen: 94/100, with the highest unchecked being #43 Deep End
Panunzio

Post by Panunzio »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:09 pm
Torgo wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:06 pm Ok, so who voted for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button :lol:
Panunzio
I think it is an interesting coming of age story, albeit one flipped on its head. I thought the film itself was just OK, but warranted inclusion on my list because I think it's actually a good representation of the genre.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Hard to tell what “coming of age” means from this poll, and that’s a big reason why I didn’t participate, though I have a particular liking for films about growth and development at any age....
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thanks for hosting Lonewolf!

Seen: 59/100 (59%)
Number of films voted for: 23/100 (23%) (20.5% of my list of 112)
Number of Favourites: 20
Highest Favourite: Boyhood (#2)
Number of Dislikes: 0
Highest Dislike: My Childhood (#345)
Highest Unchecked: Cría cuervos (#3)
Highest film on my list not on the list: Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozhino [The Way He Looks] (#274, my #2)

Of the 59 I've seen, 23 I voted for, and the other 36 are a mix of great films I didn't think fit the theme, okay films that fit the theme but not good enough to make my list, and a few films I genuinely missde. I keep track of coming of age films in my spreadsheet, but it seems that I haven't always, and when I added that genre tag there were a bunch of films I'd seen ages ago that I'd missed. I think I should have voted for Stand By Me, Spirited Away, and maybe The Virgin Suicides. I need to rewatch Rebel Without a Cause and The Return, because I don't remember them fitting the theme enough, but they're both great films I want to see again anyway. I'll go through the rest of the list and update my spreadsheet with obvious ones I missed, so that I'll be better prepared for the next time this poll is done. The rest of the films all seem like borderline cases, being films about teenagers or young adults, but not ones I would necessarily classify as "coming of age". I think Akira is the highest ranked head-scratcher for me.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:40 am though I have a particular liking for films about growth and development at any age....
Isn't that one of those horrible screenwriting clichés? That by the end of a movie a character must be changed/have grown?
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Onderhond wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:24 am
cinewest wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:40 am though I have a particular liking for films about growth and development at any age....
Isn't that one of those horrible screenwriting clichés? That by the end of a movie a character must be changed/have grown?
I mean, "coming of age" does imply change of some sort, it's not so much a cliché as something that defines this "genre".
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Teproc wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:23 am I mean, "coming of age" does imply change of some sort, it's not so much a cliché as something that defines this "genre".
Well yes, but I wasn't really talking about this genre in particular, as cinewest referenced "any age".

It's one of those things I often see people refer to when talking about scripts and good writing, it makes zero sense to me though.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:24 am
Maybe so, but can you determine from the results here what “coming of age” means?
The only commonality seems to be that the main character is under 30, and seems to have gone through some kind of experience that is part of growing up
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Thank you for hosting Lonewolf!

I found the list creation part of this a somewhat frustrating exercise to be honest. For whatever reason, I couldn't put together a list that I was entirely happy with. I think this is very similar to the Romance list we did a while back, where I was stuck between, "is this a favorite movie with some romantic elements", vs "is this a favorite romance movie", and finding that there was sometimes a big difference between those two options.

A similar thing happened with some of the films on this list here, where I really enjoy certain films, but wasn't sure whether to include them, or where, given that I wasn't sure how squarely they fall in the "coming of age movie" category.

That being said this list has given me lots of films to check out which I had heard of before but didn't know anything about (like Fish Tank, Mysterious Skin, Ghost World, and Mud). Overall, glad I participated and the results of this list were surprising in a way that many other forum lists haven't been, so definitely appreciative of that aspect as well.

Seen: 57/100 (57%)
Number of films voted for: 22/100 (22%) (52% of my list of 42)
Number of Favourites: 12
Highest Favourite: Boyhood (#2)
Number of Dislikes: 1
Highest Dislike: Spring Breakers (#41)
Highest Unchecked: Cría cuervos (#3)
Highest film on my list not on the list: Columbus (#170, my #4)
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

Very interesting result.

Some excellent ones I have forgotten about, like Ghost World and City of God.

Some befuddled me, like Blue Velvet which I never thought of as Coming of Age.

Also, missing are many of the old classics.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Thank you for organizing.

But the fact that The Tree of Life - which has little to do with the coming-of-age genre, almost cracks top 50 while movies like Heartstone, Respire and Mean Creek are not even close to cracking this is almost borderline offensive to me.

Lady Bird also shows the American bias pretty well.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lakigigar wrote: May 5th, 2021, 9:05 am Lady Bird also shows the American bias pretty well.
Sorry, but I really don't get how Lady Bird objectively is an American-biased poll result and, e.g., Eighth Grade, The Perks of Being A Wallflower, The Florida Project, The Edge of Seventeen or American Honey aren't (I have a good or very good opinion on all of them). Plus they fit the theme so very well .. opposed to Akira, End of Evangelion, Idi i Smotri or every fifth movie in the poll :D
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Torgo wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:09 am
Lakigigar wrote: May 5th, 2021, 9:05 am Lady Bird also shows the American bias pretty well.
Sorry, but I really don't get how Lady Bird objectively is an American-biased poll result and, e.g., Eighth Grade, The Perks of Being A Wallflower, The Florida Project, The Edge of Seventeen or American Honey aren't (I have a good or very good opinion on all of them). Plus they fit the theme so very well .. opposed to Akira, End of Evangelion, Idi i Smotri or every fifth movie in the poll :D
Those others you mention wouldn't be in the list - arguably - if it weren't for the fact that they were American. If Eighth Grade was Belgian, no way it would crack top 100. Now it gets fifth. By no means a bad movie, i voted for it myself, but just saying the American bias is clearly visible, and there's little we can do about it.

While movies like Akira, End of Evangelion, Idi I Smotri get in the list for other reasons: status and cult-base.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:09 am Sorry, but I really don't get how Lady Bird objectively is an American-biased poll result and, e.g., Eighth Grade, The Perks of Being A Wallflower, The Florida Project, The Edge of Seventeen or American Honey aren't
They are (though I can't speak for The Florida Project and American Honey is the odd one out in this list). Very limited breath of personality types too.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lakigigar wrote: May 6th, 2021, 11:33 am
Those others you mention wouldn't be in the list - arguably - if it weren't for the fact that they were American. If Eighth Grade was Belgian, no way it would crack top 100. Now it gets fifth. By no means a bad movie, i voted for it myself, but just saying the American bias is clearly visible, and there's little we can do about it.

While movies like Akira, End of Evangelion, Idi I Smotri get in the list for other reasons: status and cult-base.
Ah, so this is indeed just another stupid Anti-American movie discussion. I don't think I'm in for this once again, sorry.
Explain to me how City of God and Wadjda are objectively fantastic films worthy of the Top 20 and how Mysterious Skin only is in it because voters get a hard-on as soon as they see the US flag behind that ..

God, I really wish sometimes it was more about the individual movies themselves :mellow:
Go start a thread on the global American dominance of the film industry, national movie markets on pollution of our lists. You will find plenty comrades in a second there.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Torgo wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:09 am Sorry, but I really don't get how Lady Bird objectively is an American-biased poll result and, e.g., Eighth Grade, The Perks of Being A Wallflower, The Florida Project, The Edge of Seventeen or American Honey aren't (I have a good or very good opinion on all of them). Plus they fit the theme so very well .. opposed to Akira, End of Evangelion, Idi i Smotri or every fifth movie in the poll :D
By the way, funnily enough, I rated the 3 Japanese/Russian films a 9/10 and find each of them fascinating enough, and all of the aMeRiCaN films 8/10 or a bit less, but not above that; and still they serve the CoA theme more well than some weird-ass psychological mecha anime or freaking primarily war movies <_<
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Thanks Lonewolf! I'm currently going through the Complete List on your IMDb account.

I like how "Serial Experiments Lain (1998)" managed it at 242nd spot, just below Ang Lee's "Life of Pi (2012)".
arittake no (yume (nikki)) & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:35 pm By the way, funnily enough, I rated the 3 Japanese/Russian films a 9/10 and find each of them fascinating enough, and all of the aMeRiCaN films 8/10 or a bit less, but not above that; and still they serve the CoA theme more well than some weird-ass psychological mecha anime or freaking primarily war movies <_<
Asia has many great coming of age films too, no need to reach for Akira to get something Asian in the list ... but then people would have to watch them first to find that out of course. Instead we're getting endless recounts of whiney (US) teens who feel they don't really fit in with the rest of the world.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Torgo wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:26 pm
Lakigigar wrote: May 6th, 2021, 11:33 am

Ah, so this is indeed just another stupid Anti-American movie discussion. I don't think I'm in for this once again, sorry.
Explain to me how City of God and Wadjda are objectively fantastic films worthy of the Top 20 and how Mysterious Skin only is in it because voters get a hard-on as soon as they see the US flag behind that ..

God, I really wish sometimes it was more about the individual movies themselves :mellow:
Go start a thread on the global American dominance of the film industry, national movie markets on pollution of our lists. You will find plenty comrades in a second there.
Mysterious Skin is British, not American. But I think it's safe to say we disagree.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Mh I think you're mixing this up with Fish Tank, Mysterious Skin is an American film (with some NL money apparently) by an American director with American actors.
But we probably still disagree.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Obviously there is an "American bias" or more accurately an English-speaking bias because those films are the most readily accessible to everyone here. We're all English speakers, and the Internet film community (at least the mainstream cinephile one) is very much dominated by English speakers, therefore English-language film get more exposure etc. This is news to no one, and I'm not sure how any film is more proof of that than another, other than you don't personally like it and therefore wish to attribute its success to that English-speaking element, when everyone is perfectly fine ignoring that very same advantage when it comes to their own English-speaking favorites.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

I guess I came of age when I turned 70. Until then I was in perfect health. I've come even more of age since then.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Why are we talking about bias in a “favorite” list? Bias is good and helpful in this circumstance because it represents the taste of the voter base accurately, as opposed to a “top” or “best of” list that are supposed to be more objective.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Teproc wrote: May 6th, 2021, 2:58 pm Obviously there is an "American bias" or more accurately an English-speaking bias because those films are the most readily accessible to everyone here. We're all English speakers, and the Internet film community (at least the mainstream cinephile one) is very much dominated by English speakers, therefore English-language film get more exposure etc. This is news to no one, and I'm not sure how any film is more proof of that than another, other than you don't personally like it and therefore wish to attribute its success to that English-speaking element, when everyone is perfectly fine ignoring that very same advantage when it comes to their own English-speaking favorites.
:poshclap:
Torgo wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:03 pm Mh I think you're mixing this up with Fish Tank, Mysterious Skin is an American film (with some NL money apparently) by an American director with American actors.
But we probably still disagree.
Mysterious Skin is definitely American. Of the ones you mentioned earlier, I think American Honey is British, but it's set in the US.
🧚‍♂️🦫
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Ah yes, ICMf, home of the mainstream cinephile ...
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

My stats:

Overall I've seen 70 titles from the Top 100.

'Kes' -- which Krzysztof Kieślowski included in his Top 10 for Sight & Sound -- is the highest ranked film I haven't seen, followed by 'Los olvidados', 'Wadjda', and 'Almost Famous'.

I'm looking forward to rewatching 'The Virgin Suicides'. I don't remember that film too well, except for the actress, because she also played in Lars von Trier's 'Melancholia' from the year 2011. I remember seeing that film on the first of May many years ago.

Thanks once again Lonewolf/vaal, I will bookmark the complete list as a sort of reference. :)
arittake no (yume (nikki)) & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Onderhond wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:06 pm Ah yes, ICMf, home of the mainstream cinephile ...
Which part is this a response to?
🧚‍♂️🦫
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Onderhond wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:06 pm Ah yes, ICMf, home of the mainstream cinephile ...
What would you call it? In fact, I'm reasonably certain you used those exact words to describe canon-loving cinephiles before. Maybe mainstream is wrong because that'd be more the MCU-loving type, but I mostly meant to distinguish it from people whose cinephilia is more genre-focused.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Teproc wrote: May 6th, 2021, 10:43 pm What would you call it? In fact, I'm reasonably certain you used those exact words to describe canon-loving cinephiles before. Maybe mainstream is wrong because that'd be more the MCU-loving type, but I mostly meant to distinguish it from people whose cinephilia is more genre-focused.
For ICMf I would use something like "excessive" maybe? I've probably talked about "mainstream cinephiles" before in relation to ICM and adoption of lists. I don't really equate the ICMf and ICM communities though.

And as obvious as the resulting lists are when you start taking into account maths, silent majorities and other rationales, it's equally obvious that anyone with a love for a particular genre is going to end up disappointed by the genre polls created on one of the crazier cinephile communities the web has ever seen. If you see what people watch here, ending up with Eight Grade and Akira in a Coming of Age list simply makes no sense on an emotional level. You could just as well take a BuzzFeed poll and mix it with a drunken brainstorm of "funny example of young kids going through a transformation". It's probably a good thing Goldblum was a bit older, or we could've ended up with The Fly on this list.

I don't think Lakigigar has been around for many polls where he seemed truly invested in and was looking forward to the results, so his disappointment is quite normal. Imagine looking forward to a Top 100 coming of age cinema for some good recommends and then having to deal with this list.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Eighth Grade makes no sense on a Coming of Age poll? It seems you have a profound inability to comprehend that people's opposing viewpoints may be just as rational as yours, and quick to dismiss them as "crazy". It seems like a pretty obvious inclusion to me, recency aside, and the hypothetical mainstream cinephlie (so, average ICM user as opposed to average ICMF user in this instance) would probably see it as fully within the category I expect. Akira is also completely about adolescence and coming of age, I'm not even sure why that's a discussion... and while I didn't include Come and See, I can certainly see why people did, and don't feel the need to dismiss it out of hand as disqualifying, but that seems to be your favorite hobby, so have fun I guess, though you always take care to wrap it into some "but what if some rando comes into this" rationale, and you obviously have a much better understanding of random cinephiles than us "crazy" people, evidently.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Yes, Eight Grade fully falls in the expected boundaries of the genre, but on a forum where people watch the craziest things from countries most people don't even realize films are being made, it's a very banal entry.

The inclusion of Akira is just utter nonsense for anyone who feels like watching a good coming of age film. If that idea is really alien to you, there's no point in discussing this further.